PDA

View Full Version : Talk Sport ,Everton meltdown

gorgie greens
05-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Been on there la bit today and the ammount of toffee fans phoning up on about the contrast between last season and this,saying they pass all day long with no penetration,dont know if any our scousers friends on here are realising that surely Stubbs influence last season and with him comming here and the quality football were being served up compared to last season i think the talk about signing up this player and that player on longer deals i feel Stubbs should be the main deal were looking to tie up long term,we cant stop the big clubs when they come knocking and they will for him ,

cam75
05-03-2015, 08:02 PM
I posted a similar thread couple months back regards talk sport,Stubbs might be the link between 1st team and youth,new deal ASAP !
GGTTH

SlickShoes
05-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Stubbs isn't the missing link, the problem is martinez is not a good manager he gets teams playing good football, but they often lack a real cutting edge or solid defence. Everton still had the defense that moyes built last year, this year it's fell to bits.

Michael
05-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Moyes must love Van Gaal and Martinez.

Famous Fiver
05-03-2015, 08:18 PM
If Stubbs gets the Everton call (or the Celtic one), and I think it's just a matter of time before he does it's a no brainer. He's offski. Latest result apart see what effect Alex Neil has had at Norwich. Everton will be hoping the same.

Hopefully not before the Scottish Cup Final...... What a legacy that would be to leave us!!!!!

We're just going to have to enjoy his tenure while it lasts.

greenlex
05-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Martinez is the Yogi Hughes of English fitba.

Sir David Gray
05-03-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't think that the departure of a youth coach normally causes a football club to implode.

Swedish hibee
05-03-2015, 08:38 PM
They are no getting him back!!!

Billy Whizz
05-03-2015, 08:39 PM
I'd be gobsmacked if Everton came in for Stubbs, if Martinez was to be moved on

Boyle89
05-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Think it's more the fact their defence is gash and lukaku looks as likely to hit row z as the back of the net.

Kato
05-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Stubbs isn't the missing link, the problem is martinez is not a good manager he gets teams playing good football, but they often lack a real cutting edge or solid defence. Everton still had the defense that moyes built last year, this year it's fell to bits.

No cutting edge and lack of a defence = rubbish football.

3pm
05-03-2015, 08:51 PM
These threads bemuse me a little. Stubbs hasn't achieved anything yet. Nobody major is coming calling this year.

Famous Fiver
05-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Source?

Pray, share your info with us mere mortals!

Scouse Hibee
05-03-2015, 09:12 PM
It's a massive leap to suggest the departure of Stubbs from Everton has had any bearing on the fortunes of the first team.

Wotherspiniesta
05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Unfortunately for Martinez the days where possession football produces winning football are fading. Everton play with absolutely no intensity. They slow play down and try and bore teams to death. They look very easy to play against and with their leaky defence, are always likely to concede. Also, Ross Barkley in particular looks nothing like the player he was last season.

As regards to what thats to do with Stubbs, its a far fetched idea to blame the loss of Stubbsy for Everton's poor form.

I honestly believe the manager is to blame here. He did the same with Wigan aswell and they ended up relegated.

lord bunberry
05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
I think Martinez is a good manager, he's proven that in the past. He's having a relatively poor season, but that doesn't make him a bad manager.

Hibs1992
05-03-2015, 09:21 PM
It's a massive leap to suggest the departure of Stubbs from Everton has had any bearing on the fortunes of the first team.

Agreed.

Whilst we are all happy with the progress that Stubbs has made the facts are we are 20 points behind the league leaders in the Scottish Championship. It's hardly what you would define as setting the world alight.

Yes he is doing a good job just now but I seriously doubt his departure from Everton has resulted in their struggles and I also doubt that he is anywhere near a move to the English Premiership.

Nameless
05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
I think Martinez is a good coach, but he is not tactically astute - he's the poor man's Wenger. He has one very perfect ideal about how football should be played, and will not deviate from that ethos. Wenger has bought his way out of the mess his pig headedness has caused, but Martinez doesn't have that luxury. To suggest that Stubbs departure has had ANY effect on Evertons form this season is.....ridiculous.

Pretty Boy
05-03-2015, 09:48 PM

Spot on.

What Martinez acheived last year was way overrated, what Moyes acheived in the previous 10 was massively underrated.

Hank Schrader
05-03-2015, 09:50 PM
There's an awful lot of guess work going on in this thread.

Stubbs didn't exactly start off in the best fashion and he's taken a while to get going in my opinion. We are playing consistently well now but he still has a lot to prove as a manager before the likes of Everton or Celtic come knocking.

I'm very happy with what's he's done in the last couple of months, but he's only going to make a proper name for himself if he gets us promoted and challenging in the top half of the SPFL. That's what got Alex Neil the Norwich gig.

cam75
05-03-2015, 09:58 PM

I agree with you but it's been brought up couple off times now,not the jewels off Everton but a link between youth and 1st team,look what happens when strong characters leave clubs "sauzee latapy "2players and what were we left with ?

3pm
05-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Spot on.

What Martinez acheived last year was way overrated, what Moyes acheived in the previous 10 was massively underrated.

I am not sure it was overrated albeit they did speak about it a lot because I felt it was another stick to beat Moyes with. They finished sixth and they don't have any money.

They were generally very good and only lost 5 games.

For me, the problem has been the signings. He hasn't freshened it up anywhere near enough. Lukaku couldn't kick his own arse this year and at £28m, it's not proving value. I think the only new face is Besic.

I hope they stick with him.

Hibby Bairn
05-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Everton play like Wigan did. Only one reason for that.

heretoday
05-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Everton were doing not too badly in the early part of the season and their euro form has been great throughout. I still think they will survive because they have better players than the rest. One thing I have noticed is that Coleman is not making so many attacking runs and the presence of Lennon is pushing him further back. Sad to relate Jagielka is slowing up and they don't have anyone to defend the ball in the air. Hence Stoke's opener last night.

Hiber-nation
05-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Unfortunately for Martinez the days where possession football produces winning football are fading. Everton play with absolutely no intensity. They slow play down and try and bore teams to death. They look very easy to play against and with their leaky defence, are always likely to concede. Also, Ross Barkley in particular looks nothing like the player he was last season.

As regards to what thats to do with Stubbs, its a far fetched idea to blame the loss of Stubbsy for Everton's poor form.

I honestly believe the manager is to blame here. He did the same with Wigan aswell and they ended up relegated.

Have to disagree with that. Look at Seamus Coleman for example.

They are suffering from a touch of UEFA Cup-itis and the lack of a consistent striker. Nothing to do with the style of football.

CallumLaidlaw
05-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Might be worth remembering that Stubbs got interviewed when Martinez got the job and is highly thought of by Kenwright. He didn't get the gig due to lack of experience.

On the other hand, a lot of Evertonians don't like him as they feel he helped Rooney leave, and talked up a Baines departure.

Steve20
06-03-2015, 02:29 AM
Everton are not coming to take a manager from a Scottish Championship side. I think people get too carried away. The bottom line is Stubbs hasn't achieved a thing yet. He needs to get us promoted before he can say he has. I'd be very disappointed in him if he was to leave us before getting us out this league.

mca
06-03-2015, 03:13 AM
If Stubbs gets us a promotion and maybe a top half finish Next season.. he will have done well.. and no doubt clubs will be sniffing..

If he wins us the cup and gets us promoted this season .. 5 year contract.. :wink:

jacomo
06-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Stubbs has what it takes at our level. Think he's got great potential but a way to go yet. If the radge Toffees don't like him then progress to that job might not be all that smooth.

Martinez has won more than Moyes.

Hibby Bairn
06-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Might be worth remembering that Stubbs got interviewed when Martinez got the job and is highly thought of by Kenwright. He didn't get the gig due to lack of experience.

On the other hand, a lot of Evertonians don't like him as they feel he helped Rooney leave, and talked up a Baines departure.

He would have done them a favour if Baines had left imo.

heretoday
06-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Stubbs won't be going to Everton. Not until he's achieved something at ER or dare I say Celtic. I'd reckon the Toffees will pick a guy off the usual merry-go-round if Martinez has to go.

jacomo
06-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Stubbs won't be going to Everton. Not until he's achieved something at ER or dare I say Celtic. I'd reckon the Toffees will pick a guy off the usual merry-go-round if Martinez has to go.

Aren't Everton fans getting a little hysterical? Yes the league campaign has been disappointing and they need a win or 2 to settle the nerves, but Moyes also had a season of struggle early in his tenure.

They've gone well in the Europa League and have evolved their style of play. Their main man Lukaku has struggled a bit, that's all.

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Everton will be fine, climbed the dizzy heights of the league for a while but now found their natural level.

Andy74
06-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Aren't Everton fans getting a little hysterical? Yes the league campaign has been disappointing and they need a win or 2 to settle the nerves, but Moyes also had a season of struggle early in his tenure.

They've gone well in the Europa League and have evolved their style of play. Their main man Lukaku has struggled a bit, that's all.

Not sure, I'm confident we'd have had him sacked or forced him to resign by now.

J-C
06-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Everton did what West Ham did, they put all their eggs in one basket, Lukaku and it's backfired on them. They play ticka tacka football with no directness or penetration, they have good WB's who are great going forward but rubbish when it comes to defending, Distan is an old slow man now and they have nothing in midfield to support the defence. Same thing happened at Wigan, they overachieved but were eventually found out and Martinez doesn't have a clue how to change things up, his only saving grace is his Europa league form.

jacomo
06-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Not sure, I'm confident we'd have had him sacked or forced him to resign by now.

I think Bill Kenwright is less trigger happy than Rod Petrie!

Greencore
06-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Evertonians do not like stubbs and would not want him anywhere near the club. Due to the fact their was a rumour going round he encouraged Rooney to leave everton and tried it with Barkley,

As a Hibs supporter i would be gutted but as a follower of everton.... I just don't think we would go for him. We are not called the people's club for any old reason.

Stubbs must stay:)

Greencore
06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Everton did what West Ham did, they put all their eggs in one basket, Lukaku and it's backfired on them. They play ticka tacka football with no directness or penetration, they have good WB's who are great going forward but rubbish when it comes to defending, Distan is an old slow man now and they have nothing in midfield to support the defence. Same thing happened at Wigan, they overachieved but were eventually found out and Martinez doesn't have a clue how to change things up, his only saving grace is his Europa league form.

All of this. My thoughts exactly.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Everton will be fine, climbed the dizzy heights of the league for a while but now found their natural level.

A bit like Liverpool then? :confused:

:greengrin

Iggy Pope
06-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Evertonians do not like stubbs and would not want him anywhere near the club. Due to the fact their was a rumour going round he encouraged Rooney to leave everton and tried it with Barkley,

As a Hibs supporter i would be gutted but as a follower of everton.... I just don't think we would go for him. We are not called the people's club for any old reason.

What a confusing post. And why are they called the people's club and who calls them this? Evertonians maybe?

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2015, 09:54 PM
What a confusing post. And why are they called the people's club and who calls them this? Evertonians maybe?

A David Moyes invention to give the blue bitters something to hold onto and detract from their failures.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2015, 10:04 PM

I think it's a bit like Hearts and the 'famous'. No one actually calls them it, seriously at any rate, except themselves.

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
I think it's a bit like Hearts and the 'famous'. No one actually calls them it, seriously at any rate, except themselves.

When David Moyes had his first press conference he said 'all the people you meet on the street all support Everton. we are the peoples club'

_hucks_
07-03-2015, 02:27 PM

Easy to get that impression from the message boards, but I can assure you that Stubbsy is very highly thought of by all the blues (and ever a number of reds) that I know.

(That said I'm not sure if you're a 'I've just picked an English team' blue or actually have a connection with their fans and the city)

Greencore
07-03-2015, 08:24 PM
(That said I'm not sure if you're a 'I've just picked an English team' blue or actually have a connection with their fans and the city)

Scouse blood.