PDA

View Full Version : Terminally ill fan in Belgium postpones euthanasia to watch his club one last time...

lyonhibs
05-03-2015, 04:54 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/terminallyill-club-brugge-fan-lorenzo-schoonbaert-delays-euthanasia-appointment-to-see-his-beloved-football-club-win-one-last-time-10087415.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/terminallyill-club-brugge-fan-lorenzo-schoonbaert-delays-euthanasia-appointment-to-see-his-beloved-football-club-win-one-last-time-10087415.html)

What a simultaneously heart-warming and heart wrenching story. I appear to have something in both of my eyes after reading that.

Nothing particularly deep to say, just thought it was a worthwhile story about how football can be a good, even great thing.

The Hibee Harp
05-03-2015, 05:11 PM
A truly moving story.

RIP Lorenzo.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 05:28 PM
RIP Lorenzo ...... A true football fan http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Thecat23
05-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Very moving,

R.I.P Lorenzo.

southern hibby
05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
R.I.P. Lorenzo

kaimendhibs
05-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Extremely moving. RIP

HH81
05-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Very sad. Glad he enjoyed one of his final days.

StevieC
05-03-2015, 06:34 PM
I was drinking with Club Brugge fans at a Europa Cup game a couple of years ago and they are very VERY passionate about their club. Really big away support as well. I keep in touch with one of them, that presented with a Club Brugge flag, and no doubt we'll catch up at a football match at some point in the future.

R.I.P.

Baldy Foghorn
05-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Brave man.... RIP Lorre

Bishop Hibee
05-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Very sad case. While the article does not give details of his illness, it disturbs me as someone who is against assisted suicide that he was well enough to attend a football game and then felt the need to be euthanised. He obviously loved football and his club and we can all relate to that. RIP.

Hermit Crab
05-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Brave man.... RIP Lorre

Seconded. Incredible story. Rip.

Nameless
05-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Geezo - how do you choose to leave your daughter. I respect the right to have dignity in death, and I'm not particularly familiar with the euthanasia laws in Belgium, but that story has left me stunned. I can't get my head around knowing the time and place you're going to die.

Scottie
05-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Geezo - how do you choose to leave your daughter. I respect the right to have dignity in death, and I'm not particularly familiar with the euthanasia laws in Belgium, but that story has left me stunned. I can't get my head around knowing the time and place you're going to die.

:agree: My sentiments exactly. RIP.

Peevemor
05-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Very sad case. While the article does not give details of his illness, it disturbs me as someone who is against assisted suicide that he was well enough to attend a football game and then felt the need to be euthanised. He obviously loved football and his club and we can all relate to that. RIP.

He was in the terminal phase of some sort of cancer. At least his daughter's final memory of him will be of that day and not of him suffering and wasting away.

FranckSuzy
05-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Very brave, even if I can't comprehend how you could do that. One thing that struck me though, and I hope I'm not being flippant here, is sure as anything, if that was me, Hibs would get beat.....

hfc rd
05-03-2015, 09:46 PM
That brought a tear to my eye. Extremely moving and such a brave man!

R.I.P. Lorenzo

Scouse Hibee
06-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Not really sure how I feel about the story to be honest. Part of me thinks brave man, part of me thinks otherwise. Heart breaking though.

wee Stevie
06-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Lump in my throat reading this R.I.P.

hibee316
07-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Not really sure how I feel about the story to be honest. Part of me thinks brave man, part of me thinks otherwise. Heart breaking though.

As far as we know, if he had let nature take it's course he might have died in terrible agony which his family would have to watch him go through. Suffering yourself and putting your family through more trauma might have been to much for him, so I see this as being very brave myself.
Difficult topic though.