PDA

View Full Version : FAO Borders Hibs supporters

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Its been a good few years since I was involved in a couple of failed attempts to start up a supporters club in the Borders. Being retired at the relatively young age of 55 I find myself with spare time on my hands and for a while have been wondering if its worth having another go at it.

My idea would be to run a bus to home games only ( certainly to begin with ) starting next season. The bus would take a route starting in Hawick and going through Selkirk, Gala, Earlston and Lauder. Though anybody living in the Borders would be welcome to join of course :greengrin

I have no idea at this time how much it would cost to hire a coach for such a journey ... I haven't bothered to look into it because this is just a feeler.

I would guess that in order for this to have any chance of success we would need to have a minimum of 20 to 30 adult members who would be FULLY COMMITTED to being on the bus for EVERY home game, Nuclear war or Zombie apocalypse notwithstanding ...... supporters clubs filled with sporadic attenders or fair weather fans rarely succeed.

The two attempts I have been involved in have failed for the following reasons:

1) ..... Initial enthusiasm for the venture fading ... we ran very few buses in the end.
2) ..... In fighting caused by Hawick v Selkirk v Gala v Selkirk v Hawick rivalry .... which turned from good natured to something else.
3) ..... Difficulty in coordinating and communicating with members as a result of the large geographical area.
4) ..... Hibs being not very good :greengrin

With the advent of social media number 3 should no longer be a problem. The rest can be circumvented by people being prepared to accept that if they don't want to fully commit to it they shouldn't join and that if they do join failure to behave like an adult will not be tolerated.

Anyway ......... I have no idea how many Borders Hibbies are on here, but if anybody wants to comment I will be happy for any feedback and take it from there.

GGTTH

P.S. ..... The plan would be to hit Edinburgh for 1:00pm at the latest to enable folk to go where they will for pre match refreshments.

P.P.S. ..... Apologies to folk from Peebles and Innerleithen ... this wont be much use to you.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Daft commenting on my own post :greengrin

Can someone who knows what they are doing chuck this onto 'Hibees Bounce' for me ............ Pleeeeaaas :aok:

berwickhibee
05-03-2015, 01:38 PM
good luck buddy:thumbsup: plenty of hibs support in the borders. I remember a branch named A7 a few years back. we were pretty successful running one in Berwick and the eastern borders but the biggest problem was meetings, getting somewhere at a time that suits everybody. And the fact that 1 or 2 of the mainstays left for various reasons it has dwindled. seems to be plenty hibees in gala? and I know of a wee group from hawick who travel every week. as I say good luck with it:gwa:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 02:38 PM
good luck buddy:thumbsup: plenty of hibs support in the borders. I remember a branch named A7 a few years back. we were pretty successful running one in Berwick and the eastern borders but the biggest problem was meetings, getting somewhere at a time that suits everybody. And the fact that 1 or 2 of the mainstays left for various reasons it has dwindled. seems to be plenty hibees in gala? and I know of a wee group from hawick who travel every week. as I say good luck with it:gwa:

Aye ... The A7 was one of mine Berwick :greengrin Thanks for your encouragement mate http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

hibs0666
05-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Its been a good few years since I was involved in a couple of failed attempts to start up a supporters club in the Borders. Being retired at the relatively young age of 55 I find myself with spare time on my hands and for a while have been wondering if its worth having another go at it.

My idea would be to run a bus to home games only ( certainly to begin with ) starting next season. The bus would take a route starting in Hawick and going through Selkirk, Gala, Earlston and Lauder. Though anybody living in the Borders would be welcome to join of course :greengrin

I have no idea at this time how much it would cost to hire a coach for such a journey ... I haven't bothered to look into it because this is just a feeler.

I would guess that in order for this to have any chance of success we would need to have a minimum of 20 to 30 adult members who would be FULLY COMMITTED to being on the bus for EVERY home game, Nuclear war or Zombie apocalypse notwithstanding ...... supporters clubs filled with sporadic attenders or fair weather fans rarely succeed.

The two attempts I have been involved in have failed for the following reasons:

1) ..... Initial enthusiasm for the venture fading ... we ran very few buses in the end.
2) ..... In fighting caused by Hawick v Selkirk v Gala v Selkirk v Hawick rivalry .... which turned from good natured to something else.
3) ..... Difficulty in coordinating and communicating with members as a result of the large geographical area.
4) ..... Hibs being not very good :greengrin

With the advent of social media number 3 should no longer be a problem. The rest can be circumvented by people being prepared to accept that if they don't want to fully commit to it they shouldn't join and that if they do join failure to behave like an adult will not be tolerated.

Anyway ......... I have no idea how many Borders Hibbies are on here, but if anybody wants to comment I will be happy for any feedback and take it from there.

GGTTH

P.S. ..... The plan would be to hit Edinburgh for 1:00pm at the latest to enable folk to go where they will for pre match refreshments.

P.P.S. ..... Apologies to folk from Peebles and Innerleithen ... this wont be much use to you.

Good luck with it - know a good Hibby family from Stow.

PatHead
05-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Posted on the Bounce for you but might be worth your while joining it to drum up interest.

Happy to help though!

PatHead
05-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Meant to say would it maybe stop in Pathhead on the way up? Few Hibbies there and in Dalkeith.

For away games though they have a classy coach and might not need help. :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Meant to say would it maybe stop in Pathhead on the way up? Few Hibbies there and in Dalkeith.

For away games though they have a classy coach and might not need help. :greengrin

I doubt Pathhead would be a problem .... not so sure about Dalkeith though. The idea is for straight run up & down the road without too many detours.

speedy_gonzales
05-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Have you thought about taking advantage of your shiny new trainset that will be up and running around October.
Tweedbank to Waverley in under an hour, couple of cans of Top Deck shandy or lager & lime for the journey with a group of like minded passengers,,,,,sounds like just the ticket!

Ronniekirk
05-03-2015, 07:30 PM
I doubt Pathhead would be a problem .... not so sure about Dalkeith though. The idea is for straight run up & down the road without too many detours.
Used t travel with the Famous Fife Branch when I went back to Fife to visit Friends and Family for big games I would drive from Paisley to Fife and get the Supporters Bus back to Glasgow for game .that was detour in itself but the Branch tried to be all encompassing and would do a detour to pick up a couple of fans This eventually caused splits as it meant depending on drop off times on way back the rump of fans going back to final destination Glenrothes were getting home later and later .
So would agree avoid to many detours if you want to get folk back on board

Best of luck to you

The Magic Wand
05-03-2015, 07:36 PM
From peebles :-( good luck lad

Iceman1875
05-03-2015, 07:49 PM
From peebles :-( good luck lad

Me too, good luck!

At Easter Road we play...

monktonharp
05-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Daft commenting on my own post :greengrin

Can someone who knows what they are doing chuck this onto 'Hibees Bounce' for me ............ Pleeeeaaas :aok: Pretty sure I read somewhere, Earlston then Bonnyrigg were 2 of the original places with Hibernian supporters clubs (buses etc). I know right now, that St.Giles then Carlton are the oldest. also remember chatting to an auld guy in the Hibs club about his branch . his name was Pat, but cant remember the last name. he told me they had there meetings in the "bungalow" in Bath ST, Porty. which was in fact a wee picture house.

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Posted on the Bounce for you but might be worth your while joining it to drum up interest.

Happy to help though!

Done .... STEAK PIE over there :greengrin

monktonharp
05-03-2015, 09:59 PM
I doubt Pathhead would be a problem .... not so sure about Dalkeith though. The idea is for straight run up & down the road without too many detours. Dalkeith already has a supports branch, allied to B/rigg, however, a good wee tester would be if we manage to negotiate B.Rangers then a bus to hampden wight generate some interest initially.

Galahibby
05-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Yeh, I'd be interested. I'm in Selkirk. Obviously :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Have you thought about taking advantage of your shiny new trainset that will be up and running around October.
Tweedbank to Waverley in under an hour, couple of cans of Top Deck shandy or lager & lime for the journey with a group of like minded passengers,,,,,sounds like just the ticket!

Aye ... picking anybody up from Selkirk, Earlston, Lauder and Pathhead could be problematic though seein' as how the train line follows the A7 and not the A68 :greengrin

monktonharp
05-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeh, I'd be interested. I'm in Selkirk. Obviously :wink: take yer own pail on the bus though?:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeh, I'd be interested. I'm in Selkirk. Obviously :wink:

Geeza PM mate .... got a couple of Selkirk already :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere, Earlston then Bonnyrigg were 2 of the original places with Hibernian supporters clubs (buses etc). I know right now, that St.Giles then Carlton are the oldest. also remember chatting to an auld guy in the Hibs club about his branch . his name was Pat, but cant remember the last name. he told me they had there meetings in the "bungalow" in Bath ST, Porty. which was in fact a wee picture house.

Good Hibs following in Earlston :agree:

Galahibby
05-03-2015, 10:20 PM
take yer own pail on the bus though?:wink:
I live in Selkirk now. We dinnae even have pails here :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Going to set up a new E Mail account in the next few days purely for this for folk who cant PM me and who are only on facebook etc. Watch this space.

Scottie
05-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Gid luck NN with this hope it works oot its a great idea that'll catch on i hope. :aok:

My auld man used to run a Hibs bus yin week then a Hearts bus the next frae the Market Square in Selkirk in the 50s and 60s. Packed oot week after week so he tells me.

Count me in when i get back up the road from time to time on the 'Venga Bus'. Again well done as there are some great hibbies from the Borders especially Selkirk. :thumbsup:

cmcd
05-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Gid luck NN with this hope it works oot its a great idea that'll catch on i hope. :aok:

My auld man used to run a Hibs bus yin week then a Hearts bus the next frae the Market Square in Selkirk in the 50s and 60s. Packed oot week after week so he tells me.

Count me in when i get back up the road from time to time on the 'Venga Bus'. Again well done as there are some great hibbies from the Borders especially Selkirk. :thumbsup:

No Peebles is a blow

NAE NOOKIE
05-03-2015, 10:47 PM
No Peebles is a blow

I know mate, sorry about that .. My early days going to games was with the Peebes lads. A few Scotts frae Eshiels ( its a recycling centre now ) a few Gray's and the odd Kilner. A wee bit mental but guid lads.

PatHead
05-03-2015, 11:39 PM

It was more for some away games if Dalkeith weren't running a bus and it might make it financially viable if both got together on occasions. Know Kevin Flynn does a lot for that branch.

Ginger Gehagan
06-03-2015, 08:34 AM
I'd be interested, and I know a few others that would be, but I cant commit to going up every week.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2015, 09:35 AM
I know mate, sorry about that .. My early days going to games was with the Peebes lads. A few Scotts frae Eshiels ( its a recycling centre now ) a few Gray's and the odd Kilner. A wee bit mental but guid lads.

Mental is an understatement!

Lofty
06-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Also from Peebles, a bus would have been awesome :(

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Mental is an understatement!

:agree:

Scottie
06-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Sounds like the best idea would be to go up by Walkerburn, Innerleithen and Peebles on the way through. I know it's not the A7 route you intended but interest would be greater I believe if you could do a pick up from the above places. :aok:

Golden Bear
06-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Going up the A72 might be a sensible choice when heading west to Motherwell, Hamilton etc. To be honest I can't see the Peebles route being a feasible option for home games -especially for fans coming from the Hawick area.

Galahibby
06-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Going up the Peebles road from Gala adds about 13 miles onto the journey. Might be worth thinking about though if ithe numbers up that way make the difference between getting a bus up and running or not? :aok:

biggie1875
06-03-2015, 06:16 PM
I could ask my employers about the cost and availability of a coach , also wouldn't manage every week due to work but would be interested in being part of the sc

Scott Allan Key
06-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm in Peebles too. So only adding to the inter-town rivalry! ;)

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2015, 07:15 PM
If there is enough for a proper bus then great, but if not have you thought about a self drive minibus?

They are usually a lot cheaper and i think if my memory is right you can drive a 14 seater on an ordinary licence?

berwickhibee
06-03-2015, 07:25 PM
If there is enough for a proper bus then great, but if not have you thought about a self drive minibus?

They are usually a lot cheaper and i think if my memory is right you can drive a 14 seater on an ordinary licence?

your right gary about the 14 seater. are you going sunday?? hows my old pals anyway?? moray and flannagan??:gwa2:

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
your right gary about the 14 seater. are you going sunday?? hows my old pals anyway?? moray and flannagan??:gwa2:

Paul, Flannyboy posts on here matey, he's getting married in the summer. Moray is playing at football manager and is still rubbing liniment into the boys legs, whether they want it or not. :greengrin

No not coming up, to be honest i was the last one left after everyone stopped going. I was on the train on my own and to be honest it just became a chore especially with what was happening on the pitch.

Will go to the semi if we win Sunday, we will probably run a bus for that :greengrin. If we get promoted i will get a season ticket, if not then i dont think i will bother.

inglisavhibs
06-03-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm in Peebles too. So only adding to the inter-town rivalry! ;)
Should be a supporters club in Peebles, know plenty fans who live there. Maybe take in Penicuik too.

Golden Bear
06-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Should be a supporters club in Peebles, know plenty fans who live there. Maybe take in Penicuik too.

Yip, there are loads of Hibs fans in Peebles however the numbers attending games have dwindled away in recent years. No different from anywhere else I suppose.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Yip, there are loads of Hibs fans in Peebles however the numbers attending games have dwindled away in recent years. No different from anywhere else I suppose.

Speak for yer sel! :greengrin

Flanny boy
06-03-2015, 09:46 PM
I sent you a pm the other day pal I take it you never got it?

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2015, 10:04 PM
I could ask my employers about the cost and availability of a coach , also wouldn't manage every week due to work but would be interested in being part of the sc

Noted biggie .... will give it a week or so then see where things are at.

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2015, 10:06 PM

I have Blackpool ... shortest straw drives while everybody else gets pissed :greengrin

Galahibby
06-03-2015, 10:13 PM
I have Blackpool ... shortest straw drives while everybody else gets pissed :greengrin

Result! No-one will want a woman driving :wink:

Carheenlea
06-03-2015, 10:13 PM
It will be hard enough to amass a large enough group on a regular basis to make running a Borders bus to matches viable without a long detour via Peebles I`d say.
There are a good number of Hibs fans in Peebles, and a poster on here has in the past done a sterling job in organising bus travel for Hampden trips, but the fact we are a bit closer to Edinburgh the ones who attend on a more regular basis seem to prefer to make their own way in to Easter Road. It would not be something that would appeal to me as my arrangements go on a game-to-game basis depending on the occasion, opting to meet friends for beers pre and post match for bigger games or just getting in and back home as quick as I can for others.
The Scottish Borders towns are spread out over a fair area and trying to accommodate four of five is difficult. I`d say just stick to the straight run up the road.

Forza Fred
08-03-2015, 07:29 AM
As a former Melrosian in the late 50's/early 60's I hope you get the required support and it is a goer.

I used to bump into people I knew at games in the late 60's so think they may have run a bus back then

Lofty
08-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Anyone going from Peebles today? I've got room in the car,

Galahibby
26-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Any chance there will be a bus organised for Hampden? :flag:

NAE NOOKIE
27-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Any chance there will be a bus organised for Hampden? :flag:

Not by me Galahibby, I usually go with the Earlston lads to semis and finals these last few years. As things stand I haven't had many willing to fully commit to a full time bus from the Borders, certainly not enough to make it a goer. More often than not there is a Gala bus for big games, but I've no idea who has organised them lately.

Golden Bear
27-03-2015, 01:27 PM
I'd contact the OP to see if there are still seats available on this Bus. (assuming you can get yourself up to Innerleithen)

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?299510-Bus-to-Semi-Final-Peebles-Penicuik-Hillend-spaces-available

Galahibby
27-03-2015, 02:10 PM
I'd contact the OP to see if there are still seats available on this Bus. (assuming you can get yourself up to Innerleithen)

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?299510-Bus-to-Semi-Final-Peebles-Penicuik-Hillend-spaces-available

Cheers GB. My thinking was tho that it is easier to watch Hibs, especially at Hampden, if you've had a drink. If I have to drive to Innerleithen I will probably just drive to Glasgow and face it sober :wink:

Golden Bear
27-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Cheers GB. My thinking was tho that it is easier to watch Hibs, especially at Hampden, if you've had a drink. If I have to drive to Innerleithen I will probably just drive to Glasgow and face it sober :wink:

Ah - I see your an inhabitant of Tokyo which does create a wee bit of a problem. :wink:

The 62 bus will get you between Gala and Innerleithen so that's your lack of drink problem solved!

berwickhibee
27-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I sent you a pm the other day pal I take it you never got it?

I did get it bud:thumbsup: whens the big day bud?? hope it doesn't clash with our cup winning tour:wink: