PDA

View Full Version : NHC Fine the players....

HappyAsHellas
04-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Olympiakos president Marinakis has fined his players 500,000 Euros for not "playing for the jersey". They have been knocked out of Europe and drew 1-1 with AEK in the Greek cup. He is quoted as saying:

"As long as you are playing for Olympiakos, you will give everything and sacrifice for this jersey. You will win the league championship and the Greek Cup. Nothing else goes through my mind. Put it well in your minds and do it accordingly."

I'm not sure what players unions will make of this - has it happened before anywhere?

Deansy
04-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Olympiakos president Marinakis has fined his players 500,000 Euros for not "playing for the jersey". They have been knocked out of Europe and drew 1-1 with AEK in the Greek cup. He is quoted as saying:

"As long as you are playing for Olympiakos, you will give everything and sacrifice for this jersey. You will win the league championship and the Greek Cup. Nothing else goes through my mind. Put it well in your minds and do it accordingly."

I'm not sure what players unions will make of this - has it happened before anywhere?

Hope it catches on - the people-in-charge putting the club before the players !!.

J-C
04-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I can see a strike from his players coming up, you can criticise players for maybe not trying but to fine them :confused:

Mikey09
04-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Bit of the Romanovs about him me thinks....

Weststandwanab
04-03-2015, 08:15 AM
The chances of this standing up in court – even in Greece – about the same as Nigel Farage being the next prime Minister.

Peevemor
04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
I can see a strike from his players coming up, you can criticise players for maybe not trying but to fine them :confused:

The thing is though, what can a club do if a player isn't trying? If you sign a player for 3 years at however many thousand pounds per week, then he decides he can't be bothered, you're stuck with it! You can try to sell him but if he decides to sit tight then tough.

PeeJay
04-03-2015, 09:01 AM

He's fined the team €500T surely, not the individual players?

Ozyhibby
04-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Terry Butcher school of motivation.

HappyAsHellas
04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
He's fined the team €500T surely, not the individual players?

Yes it's the team he's fined, but given some of his past indiscretions I think I might just cough up if I was a player there.

allezsauzee
04-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Using more stick than carrot generally only works when your employees don't have any option but to stay in their current job.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Insanity .... It sounds like a sop to appease the fans :confused:

snooky
04-03-2015, 01:04 PM
You can't force players to 'play for the jersey'. It's either in them or it's not.
Players won't 'play for the jersey' using this method. They'll still be playing for the money or in this case, the threatened loss of it.

HappyAsHellas
04-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Insanity .... It sounds like a sop to appease the fans :confused:

The same fans he allegedly transported to a 3rd division match to cause riots and ensure the result went the way desired in his match fixing allegations.

You can't force players to 'play for the jersey'. It's either in them or it's not.
Players won't 'play for the jersey' using this method. They'll still be playing for the money or in this case, the threatened loss of it.

Not a man who you want to get on the wrong side of - he doesn't do empty threats apparently.

soupy
04-03-2015, 04:47 PM

If I remember correctly Hibs pumped Dundee Utd 5-0 at Easter Rd and then chairman Jim McLean fined the whole team causing an uproar.. I'm sure Ivan Golac was the manager at the time early 90s???

CropleyWasGod
04-03-2015, 04:51 PM
If I remember correctly Hibs pumped Dundee Utd 5-0 at Easter Rd and then chairman Jim McLean fined the whole team causing an uproar.. I'm sure Ivan Golac was the manager at the time early 90s???

McLean once fined them after a cup semi, IIRC,..... which they won.... for not being entertaining enough.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
McLean once fined them after a cup semi, IIRC,..... which they won.... for not being entertaining enough.

Think Fergie did something similar after Aberdeen won a cup
Final

snooky
04-03-2015, 05:00 PM

Well, thank goodness we have never stooped to being a non-entertaining side. :coolhib:

Northernhibee
04-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Terry Butcher school of motivation.

This.