PDA

View Full Version : HSL - 600 Signed Up, 1 Million Shares Purchased

Mikey
03-03-2015, 09:09 AM
HIBERNIAN SUPPORTERS LIMITED

PRESS RELEASE

Hibernian Supporters Limited today announced that in just over three weeks since their launch they have signed up just under 600 supporters and that they were very pleased with the response, stating it was ahead of their expectations.

As well as supporters signing up to direct debits they have received a number of one-off contributions, many from overseas.

Earlier this month at the Arbroath Scottish Cup fixture Gordon Smith received HSL’s first share certificate for 625,000 shares in Hibernian from first team coach Alan Stubbs. We can now reveal that this number has risen to 1,000,000 shares, making it the second biggest shareholder behind the Holding Company.

Kenny MacAskill said “We are delighted with the take up so far, particularly as we now expect a further surge after the February pay day. We always thought this was a marathon and not a sprint.

“What is equally pleasing is the number of supporters who have contributed above the minimum level, demonstrated by the average regular monthly contribution of £20 and an average lump sum contribution of £318.

“This progress is remarkable given the headwinds we faced prior to launch. Whilst most of the effort so far has been through social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, we have now commenced direct consultations with Hibernian Supporters Association Branches to explain what we are trying to achieve, a step that has been very positively received. What is clear is that fans want to hear from us directly and get the story first hand rather than rely on hearsay and misinformation.”

Kenny added, “All the meetings we are having and the feedback we have received indicates to us that there is a real interest in what we are trying to achieve. Supporters are joining everyday and more and more are recognizing the benefit of a collective such as HSL. We believe that it is possible that by the end of the first year we will be in a position to own 10% of the shares on offer. Remember we have a subscription agreement that enables us to buy whatever shares are available, so long as they are available.”

20,000 information fliers are now being printed and will be distributed amongst fans at the forthcoming Rangers match at the end of March and to the local community to raise awareness in HSL and its objectives.

It's unfortunate that the launch was met with such a sustained campaign against it as I'm sure that figure would be higher if the HSL guys were given a fair hearing.

CallumLaidlaw
03-03-2015, 09:14 AM
It's unfortunate that the launch was met with such a sustained campaign against it as I'm sure that figure would be higher if the HSL guys were given a fair hearing.

Have to admit, I thought it would be a higher figure than 600. Hopefully their leaflet drop will see an increase in uptake. Would be interesting to see how we are doing with direct shares.

Purple & Green
03-03-2015, 09:16 AM
10% of the shares on offer - does that mean 10% of 50% i.e. 5% of the club? That possibly means that existing shareholders have bought more shares too?

By the end of the year does that mean the football club will be 90% owned by the holding company, 5% by HSL & 5% by individual shareholders?

Mikey
03-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Have to admit, I thought it would be a higher figure than 600. Hopefully their leaflet drop will see an increase in uptake. Would be interesting to see how we are doing with direct shares.

They're dealing directly with the branches as they can't set foot in the HSA so hopefully that will help.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
600 is pretty low. Hopefully the lift in the clubs playing fortunes convinces more that we are heading in the right direction.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2015, 09:42 AM
600 is pretty low. Hopefully the lift in the clubs playing fortunes convinces more that we are heading in the right direction.

Ozzy, Whats that worth then in cash terms

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Ozzy, Whats that worth then in cash terms

It will depend on the mix of people paying monthly and those like me who signed up for a one off payment.
If everyone stays for at least a year then it's £132k for the year. Enough for a decent SPL striker.
Short of where FoH are but then we don't need to pay £6.3m out before receiving any shares. Our shares are already in the bag.

Bostonhibby
03-03-2015, 09:49 AM
10% of the shares on offer - does that mean 10% of 50% i.e. 5% of the club? That possibly means that existing shareholders have bought more shares too?

By the end of the year does that mean the football club will be 90% owned by the holding company, 5% by HSL & 5% by individual shareholders?

I know a few who have, I have done both - would be handy if the club were able to publish how many direct shares have been bought as well.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2015, 09:50 AM
It will depend on the mix of people paying monthly and those like me who signed up for a one off payment.
If everyone stays for at least a year then it's £132k for the year. Enough for a decent SPL striker.
Short of where FoH are but then we don't need to pay £6.3m out before receiving any shares. Our shares are already in the bag.

It's a start, probably not the best time of year for this to be launched, post Xmas and with season ticket renewal just round the corner

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
It's a start, probably not the best time of year for this to be launched, post Xmas and with season ticket renewal just round the corner

I don't think FoH had that great a start either. It was only when the fans realised it was the only show in town that things picked up. We could do with a bit more of a push with the marketing. Anyone got a number for Franck Sauzee?:greengrin

offshorehibby
03-03-2015, 10:13 AM
The 600 figure is only for subscribers to HSL and does not include supporters buying direct. Hopefully there's been a good uptake of supporters buying direct.

At the moment i have only bought into HSL but still hope to increase my direct share holding in the club.

DarrenSQH
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Im looking at buying direct at the moment then i would want to contribute monthly to the HSL.

MB62
03-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Seeing Kenny MacAskill's name associated with anything does not fill me with any great confidence, especially after the complete and utter mess he has managed to turn our Scottish Police force in to.

Good on those who have contributed so far, it's just not for me.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2015, 10:42 AM
They're dealing directly with the branches as they can't set foot in the HSA so hopefully that will help.

Why? ........ I would have thought the HSA would be an integral part of this, have I missed something?

Pretty Boy
03-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I've signed up but a few of those I atyend regularly with were waiting until January was out the wayas it's always a long, expensive month. Now that February pay is hitting the bank I'd expect a decent surge in uptake.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I have bought directly and I know my mate is going to as well, it will be interesting to find out how many new independent shareholders there are. I cant help thinking having to scrabble about trying to find an IFA has helped much either. I got one who signed for nothing, but I understand the ones Hibs have found are charging £50 a pop, which is a fair chunk for those like me who can only afford the minimum £200 option.

I don't think 600 members of HSL at this stage is too bad at all to be honest, as somebody else said, at this time of year and with ST renewals just around the corner its not the best conditions for a huge take up. Slow and steady will do, as the man said its a marathon not a sprint.

The one thing we need to avoid is to start making silly comparisons with FoH. Our situation is entirely different from theirs, there is no danger that our club is about to go under and it shouldn't be forgotten that their fan base is bigger than ours.

Keith_M
03-03-2015, 11:03 AM
The number sounds quite low but hopefully others will be planning to buy direct (that's my plan).

Geo_1875
03-03-2015, 11:50 AM
The one thing we need to avoid is to start making silly comparisons with FoH. Our situation is entirely different from theirs, there is no danger that our club is about to go under and it shouldn't be forgotten that their fan base is bigger than ours.

I wouldn't make a comparison between myself and a jambo under any circumstance.

What must be remembered is that they signed up in huge numbers for FoH to save their club from going down the tubes. They wouldn't have been so keen if Mercer, Robinson or Romanov had asked them for donations to pay bills or wages, and to help them live within their means.

lucky
03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
It's a start. This board has over 3000 members, I think , surely there is enough people on here that's willing to a minimum of £18.75 to HSL to boost the 600 up to over 1000

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Comparisons are unavoidable. The two schemes are very similar.
Our contributions are at least going straight to the club.
Rebuilding the club is going to be a slow process though and its not helped by the fact that the man responsible for our demise remains in post. Maybe if he offered to resign when we got to 3000 sign ups, he could be gone by next week. :greengrin

CB_NO3
03-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Did we ever find a cheap IFA that would charge a small fee to allow fans sign up direct?

southsider
03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
It's a start. This board has over 3000 members, I think , surely there is enough people on here that's willing to a minimum of £18.75 to HSL to boost the 600 up to over 1000

Just had Hibs on the phone Another25,000 shares purchased. GGTTH

Golden Bear
03-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Maybe the perceived desire for community ownership isn't as strong as some thought? Perhaps many fans are simply quite happy to follow the fortunes of their team and offer their support through the normal avenues (gate money, purchase of merchandise etc.)

Geo_1875
03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Maybe the perceived desire for community ownership isn't as strong as some thought? Perhaps many fans are simply quite happy to follow the fortunes of their team and offer their support through the normal avenues (gate money, purchase of merchandise etc.)

I'm not a fan or an advocate of fan ownership. I just want my team to be around for me to support. However, as it appears that it's the only way forward I've bought shares and joined HSL. Just don't turn on me if your pies not of an acceptable standard.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 12:41 PM

I think there is. Its early days. The boost everyone at the club is going to get from promotion and winning the Scottish cup will see numbers sky rocket.:thumbsup:

givescotlandfreedom
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I thought uptake would have been quite a bit higher than that. Hopefully more will subscribe in the longer term.

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Here's a thought. If you are in HSL or own shares independently, as a de facto owner of the club ( even if it is 000000.1% of it ) when you say "we were brilliant on Saturday" or "we were crap on Saturday" the 'we' wont just be a throw away phrase. What could be better than that :greengrin

Big_Franck
03-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Did we ever find a cheap IFA that would charge a small fee to allow fans sign up direct?

If you email the club at shares@hibernianfc.co.uk asking for the list of IFAs that have contacted the club they will pass you on their details.

A couple of them are charging £50 and it all seems very straight forward.

Purple & Green
03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
£132k for the year

That's in reality a stunning level of "donation" especially when it's crystal clear there is no return or benefits.

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2015, 01:42 PM
So fans of the scheme are heralding it as a 'positive start' while opponents are gloating that it's a disaster.

The rest of us (the vast majority) seem to be firmly in the 'meh' camp.

Was probably always going to be thus.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 01:45 PM
So fans of the scheme are heralding it as a 'positive start' while opponents are gloating that it's a disaster.

The rest of us (the vast majority) seem to be firmly in the 'meh' camp.

Was probably always going to be thus.

Indifference has been a problem at Hibs for a while now.

Mikey
03-03-2015, 01:48 PM

I'm told that one of the HSL Directors was in the Hibs club last week, and hopes to be there again this week, so that's excellent!

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Indifference has been a problem at Hibs for a while now.

It's been a long, hard, seven years, and now that we've just come out of it, people are sitting back, processing it all and taking stock of just how terrible it all was. I think the current mood is positive, but it's a very cautious and fragile positivity. It's certainly not vibrant or defiant enough to galvanise and carry a significant amount of the support around a major (avowed) fan ownership project. Whatever you think of the scheme/it's motivation/opponents (and this has all been argued to death) the timing of its imposition was lousy and poorly judged.

FranckSuzy
03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm told that one of the HSL Directors was in the Hibs club last week, and hopes to be there again this week, so that's excellent!

Must have money left on their card :greengrin

Bostonhibby
03-03-2015, 02:16 PM
This is likely and not an issue for me either. They're going to get loyalty points as well.

lord bunberry
03-03-2015, 02:39 PM
It's been a long, hard, seven years, and now that we've just come out of it, people are sitting back, processing it all and taking stock of just how terrible it all was. I think the current mood is positive, but it's a very cautious and fragile positivity. It's certainly not vibrant or defiant enough to galvanise and carry a significant amount of the support around a major (avowed) fan ownership project. Whatever you think of the scheme/it's motivation/opponents (and this has all been argued to death) the timing of its imposition was lousy and poorly judged.
I think the timing was decided for them by the various campaigns that were going on. It's brought a degree of unity, but it won't take off properly until the club is back were it belongs

patlowe
03-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Your first three sentences pretty much sum up how I feel. I found it extremely difficult to gather enthusiasm post-Butcher and I chose not to renew my season ticket after the pretty arduous experience most games were last season, although in truth the dissention between the fans and the club had been slowly accumulating for four or five years.

However, I am positive (yet cautious, as you suggest) after attending several games this season and my next step will be purchasing a season ticket for 2015/16, regardless of whether we go up or not. Beyond that, who knows; the HSL scheme is a possibility for me but it's one step at a time in rekindling the relationship with the club.

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
The great thing about HSL is that the more successful it is the greater the player budget. There is nothing else for the money to be spent on. The more who sign up now, the better the team we have next year.

Leithenhibby
03-03-2015, 05:00 PM

The minimum is £10.00 :aok: see link.

http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate.html

The great thing about HSL is that the more successful it is the greater the player budget. There is nothing else for the money to be spent on. The more who sign up now, the better the team we have next year.

THIS.
We have everything in place. We don't need to build, as the ground is finish and the training center is buzzing at the moment.

You just have to look at the way our players act, perform and fight/cover for each other on the park. It's a much happier place to be come match day

GGTTH

emerald green
03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
"Hibernian Supporters Limited today announced that in just over three weeks since their launch they have signed up just under 600 supporters and that they were very pleased with the response, stating it was ahead of their expectations."

600 signed up to HSL in the above timescale doesn't seem too bad IMHO. It's a marathon, not a sprint, so lets see where things are after say 3 or 4 months.

I think whether or not Hibs are promoted at the end of this season will be quite significant as far as uptake is concerned.

zlatan
03-03-2015, 06:10 PM

WillowbraeHibby
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM

:thumbsup:

Ronniekirk
03-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Me and my son will be signing up in the next few weeks just haven't got round to it yet and we both intend buying shares individually So with others on here saying similiar we should get through the one thousand barrier in the next few weeks no problem .
The timing as others have said was far from ideal so it's a cautious start . Does anyone know how many fans bought shares during the Duff /gray era ?

bingo70
03-03-2015, 06:20 PM
The more successful the team The more people will want to sign up.

Cup final or promotion would see us get above the 1000 mark comfortably imo.

Nevi_SOL
03-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Me and at least another 3 people haven't done it yet but intend to do so. I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

Ringothedog
03-03-2015, 06:42 PM
I have signed up and as an existing shareholder will also purchase shares as an individual. It would appear that we are on course to raise at least £150k through HSL added to individual share purchases of 1800 x £200 means at least £500k worth of shares being bought this year. That's a great start. Is there anyway that .net can collect money from members/contributors that is then donated to HSL to purchase shares ?

Mikey
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I have signed up and as an existing shareholder will also purchase shares as an individual. It would appear that we are on course to raise at least £150k through HSL added to individual share purchases of 1800 x £200 means at least £500k worth of shares being bought this year. That's a great start. Is there anyway that .net can collect money from members/contributors that is then donated to HSL to purchase shares ?

Not really to be honest. The process is fairly straightforward and can be done for as little as £10 per month so people shouldn't really need our assistance. And anyway, we're busy enough :greengrin

Ozyhibby
03-03-2015, 06:51 PM

Where does the 1800 figure come from?

invisible man
03-03-2015, 07:04 PM

Mikey, don't know where you're getting that from? The HSL are more than welcome in the HSA.

Leithenhibby
03-03-2015, 07:06 PM

Mikey, don't know where you're getting that from? The HSL are more than welcome in the HSA.

Sorted....... :wink:

brog
03-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Given some of the nonsense that was being put about only a few weeks ago ( I still shudder when I remember the Buy Hibs thread ) I think 600 is an excellent start. I also believe it almost certainly understates the number joining as I've purchased 25,000 shares separately but have not ( as yet ) joined HSL. Like others I'm not a great supporter of the concept of fan ownership but for years we've complained that the Board/owners have not been accountable for their actions, or inaction!. This movement gives us a seat at the table & an ever increasing voice to raise any concerns we may have re the conduct, operation & management of OUR club. It also provides funds to help improve our team. It's hard to imagine why any supporter would be actively opposed to this concept.

Mikey
03-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Yep, corrected myself in post 32 :wink:

invisible man
03-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Yep, corrected myself in post 32 :wink:

Oh right, so you did :greengrin

Bostonhibby
03-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Given some of the nonsense that was being put about only a few weeks ago ( I still shudder when I remember the Buy Hibs thread ) I think 600 is an excellent start. I also believe it almost certainly understates the number joining as I've purchased 25,000 shares separately but have not ( as yet ) joined HSL. Like others I'm not a great supporter of the concept of fan ownership but for years we've complained that the Board/owners have not been accountable for their actions, or inaction!. This movement gives us a seat at the table & an ever increasing voice to raise any concerns we may have re the conduct, operation & management of OUR club. It also provides funds to help improve our team. It's hard to imagine why any supporter would be actively opposed to this concept.

This is pretty much where I have always been, getting a significant chunk of shares into Fans hands however they are bought increases the influence and can enable the departure of Petrie - owning say 30% with STF or whoever he ultimately disposes of his shares to is a healthier place than before. At the moment individual shareholders can be ignored in a vote at the AGM, we can change that by buying a greater seat at the table.

Ringothedog
03-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Where does the 1800 figure come from?

There are currently 1800 individual shareholders

Ringothedog
03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Not really to be honest. The process is fairly straightforward and can be done for as little as £10 per month so people shouldn't really need our assistance. And anyway, we're busy enough :greengrin

Fair enough, but it would have been nice to see the biggest and best hibs website supporting the share offer.

JPrinty
04-03-2015, 01:57 AM
I'll be signing up in the next couple of weeks - just waiting for pay day!

Mikey09
04-03-2015, 10:56 AM

I would love to be in a position to buy shares. However, I work 2 jobs and the Mrs works full time and we still struggle to make ends meet. I took my daughter to the Arbroath game because it was cheap and we had a small amount of cash to spare that week. I am not seeking sympathy only stating my position that lots of others will be in as well. If things pick up in the future I would buy shares and do my bit in a heartbeat but unfortunately there is no chance right now. I know you're not having a go but it's something I wanted to post anyway....

Paloschi
04-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Any idea why this has been ignored in this BBC article published today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31721956

Is anything positive coming from Hibs just ignored by the BBC?

Sure they would rather have about 10 Tom English articles on our 'weak mentality.'

Mikey
04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Sure they would rather have about 10 Tom English articles on our 'weak mentality.'

Paul Goodwin.

He does actually mention Hibs..... "There are some people who have been running their own little dictatorship and they enjoy it and they don't want to see change."

Ozyhibby
04-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Especially surprising considering we have begun transferring our shares to the fans already. Hearts fans have to wait another 4 years. Until then they are just another club owned by a rich individual.

hibbytam
04-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Just asked him on twitter, and he replied:

@tamheaney yes I couldn't address all of them at once as piece was already getting unwieldy. But I hope to look at Hibs case on its own soon

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2015, 12:48 PM

The Alloa chairman is a bit of a wet blanket dontcha think. Anyway I think the way we are going is about right, we will still have room for a sugar daddy at 51% fan ownership ..... whoever that might be would have to leave their ego at the door I guess so that might reduce candidate numbers a good bit.

Ozyhibby
04-03-2015, 12:53 PM
The Alloa chairman is a bit of a wet blanket dontcha think. Anyway I think the way we are going is about right, we will still have room for a sugar daddy at 51% fan ownership ..... whoever that might be would have to leave their ego at the door I guess so that might reduce candidate numbers a good bit.

FFP doesn't allow for sugar daddies any more, unless you are new Rangers.

CentreLine
04-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I see that there are still a whole load of the HoH (or whichever group it was) negative message posters about the city. If any of their former members are on this site could you please get these embarrassing posters removed?

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
FFP doesn't allow for sugar daddies any more, unless you are new Rangers.

I know ... but they can still stump up for stuff like funding the training centre and other non on field projects like rail seats and filling in the corners :greengrin without incurring the wrath of UEFA.

jacomo
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Just asked him on twitter, and he replied:

@tamheaney yes I couldn't address all of them at once as piece was already getting unwieldy. But I hope to look at Hibs case on its own soon

See Paul Goodwin got involved in it though - maybe if BuyHibs was still running we'd have got some coverage??

linlithgowhibbie
04-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi

HSL want to have a face to face meeting with our members, and anyone else interested, to explain the facts of the share options.

I have suggested a monday or tuesday night in Linlithgow (date to be arranged) if anyone who is not a branch member wishes to attend reply on this thread or PM me.

Probably in about 2 weeks time once a suitable date is agreed on

Brian AKA Linlithgowhibbie

Gmack7
04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
excuse my ignorance
does it make any difference to the club if shares are bought direct or through HSL as i'll buy direct if it doesn't

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2015, 06:09 PM
excuse my ignorance
does it make any difference to the club if shares are bought direct or through HSL as i'll buy direct if it doesn't

AFAIK it makes no difference, Hibs still get the money.

Ozyhibby
04-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Although if you are paying £50 to an IFA then that's £50 that could be going to the club through HSL

nonshinyfinish
04-03-2015, 07:29 PM
I know a few who have, I have done both - would be handy if the club were able to publish how many direct shares have been bought as well.

:agree: I'm doing both as well.

Leithenhibby
04-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Although if you are paying £50 to an IFA then that's £50 that could be going to the club through HSL

This......... :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
04-03-2015, 10:20 PM
This......... :agree:

I know they should've made it easier to buy direct so the club got more money.

Ozyhibby
05-03-2015, 12:10 AM
I know they should've made it easier to buy direct so the club got more money.

Not the clubs fault this time. It's the law.
HSL is the clubs way of making it easier.

Gmack7
05-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Agreed, but I won't be paying for an IFA

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Was the question of HSLs running costs ever settled?

superfurryhibby
05-03-2015, 07:25 AM
I see that there are still a whole load of the HoH (or whichever group it was) negative message posters about the city. If any of their former members are on this site could you please get these embarrassing posters removed?

Sorry mate this isn't Russia and your comment is more embarrassing than anything negative, of which I see very little. Questions and opposite viewpoints are good, that's what informs good choices. I was initially well sceptical, but thanks to Cropley was God and some other well informed posters I have made a commitment to shares. That's why we need to hear all voices. Now away you get back to Pravda:wink:

Just Alf
05-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Sorry mate this isn't Russia and your comment is more embarrassing than anything negative, of which I see very little. Questions and opposite viewpoints are good, that's what informs good choices. I was initially well sceptical, but thanks to Cropley was God and some other well informed posters I have made a commitment to shares. That's why we need to hear all voices. Now away you get back to Pravda:wink:

I think the point was that the "puter upperers" have said that the campaign and posters etc had done it's job and now was the time for us all to get together so promised to go round and take them down. :agree:

Andy74
05-03-2015, 08:27 AM

What he said is reasonable - the negative campaign was not constructive questioning, it was dmanaging lies and misinformation.

In any case, asking for the posters to now be removed seems a pretty fair request.

Gatecrasher
05-03-2015, 09:19 AM
My Second Payment came out yesterday, only 10 months until I'm a full member :wink:
If I sign up again at the end of my current pledge will I get 2 certificates?

CentreLine
05-03-2015, 09:31 AM
I think the point was that the "puter upperers" have said that the campaign and posters etc had done it's job and now was the time for us all to get together so promised to go round and take them down. :agree:

Yep. Glad somebody got the point 👍

JT Fae The Toon
05-03-2015, 10:20 AM
I don't think FoH had that great a start either. It was only when the fans realised it was the only show in town that things picked up. We could do with a bit more of a push with the marketing. Anyone got a number for Franck Sauzee?:greengrin

FoH started off testing the water by taking "pledges", not Direct Debits. When the pledges were actually converted to DD's the number dropped and a few things happened to drive the numbers up.

FoH held Q&A's / Roadshows around the country
The club went into Administration
The Rangers situation helped keep apathy at bay
BDO gave FoH "preferred bidder" status
The other "bidders" (Bob J / Massone etc) were unpalatable.

Different circumstances but all of the above mobilised / galvanised the support.

Bostonhibby
05-03-2015, 12:50 PM
FoH started off testing the water by taking "pledges", not Direct Debits. When the pledges were actually converted to DD's the number dropped and a few things happened to drive the numbers up.

Different circumstances but all of the above mobilised / galvanised the support.

I find myself agreeing with you (it'll never last) - The biggest help of all was being able to simultaneously get BDO to act less than neutrally, and get a very "favourably" low valuation of the assets.

As you say completely different situation, when the alternative was liquidation the fans who were going to pay for the exit from admin were always going to come out immediately, and many did and will stick to it. A few, like my brother in law cancelled his DD without ever making a payment because "we have been saved". He still thinks he played a part in it.

green day
05-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Yes that sounds about right - the initial pledges IIRC were around about the time the 'need £1M to stay in business' was mentioned?

Cerrtainly nothing like the threat of closure to galvanise the troops !

It is different in the HSL situation, but I agree that they need to keep the momentum going. Having said all that, if we are on track to buy 10% of the shares by the end of the year, that bodes well for majority ownership in a few years, similar to the FoH timescale.

Eyrie
05-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Was the question of HSLs running costs ever settled?

CBA looking back, but I thought that HSL's replies to the Q&A posted on .net stated the Club would be covering most of the routine administration costs and a donor had agreed to pay for the audit. However the FAQ on HSL's website (http://hiberniansupporters.co.uk/faq.html) doesn't answer question 2 properly which is "unfortunate".

Would HSL actually require an audit? I wouldn't have though it's large enough, so why incur the additional expense?

CropleyWasGod
05-03-2015, 07:13 PM
CBA looking back, but I thought that HSL's replies to the Q&A posted on .net stated the Club would be covering most of the routine administration costs and a donor had agreed to pay for the audit. However the FAQ on HSL's website (http://hiberniansupporters.co.uk/faq.html) doesn't answer question 2 properly which is "unfortunate".

Would HSL actually require an audit? I wouldn't have though it's large enough, so why incur the additional expense?
It won't need one, but it may want one. That would be up to the Board and members.