PDA

View Full Version : Dave Mackay dies

cabbageandribs1875
03-03-2015, 12:04 AM
just too young to have saw him playing against us but not a bad player by all accounts :agree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/31704507

Former Tottenham, Derby, Hearts and Scotland midfielder Dave Mackay has died, aged 80.

RIP

Tinribs
03-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Was just about to post this too mate, sad day for Edinburgh football. Was a nice man by all accounts, and won the double down south with Spurs, as well as being a Hearts man.

R.I.P

Greencore
03-03-2015, 01:13 AM
The jambos were very respectful when Lawrie passed on. So with that in mind...

Condolences to his family and Heart of Midlothian football club.

RIP.

Pete
03-03-2015, 02:43 AM
He was probably the ultimate hearts legend so this is as big a deal for them as Lawrie's death was for us. The status of players like Dave Mackay truly transcends club rivalries.

The gold standard when it comes to hard players and a loss for the entire British game.

davy malcolm
03-03-2015, 04:57 AM
my dad is the reason I'm a hibby cos he took me to all the games his claim to fame was he played with Mackey for edinburgh schools he says he was the best player that played for hearts. rip

Cabbage Lad
03-03-2015, 05:37 AM
RIP, condolences to all his family and HMFC

oneone73
03-03-2015, 05:54 AM
A sad day. RIP.

lord bunberry
03-03-2015, 05:57 AM
I don't remember him as a player, but I remember reading about him Cloughs book. Did he not go on to be a manager as well?
RIP

Ray_
03-03-2015, 06:00 AM
I don't remember him as a player, but I remember reading about him Cloughs book. Did he not go on to be a manager as well?
RIP

He won the league as manager with Derby after Cloughie had left [1974=75].

Mr White
03-03-2015, 06:04 AM
RIP Dave Mckay. There's a story about him in one of the books I've read, I think it was lawrie reilly's autobiography, where he says the only time he ever saw eddie turnbull lost for words was when mackay crunched him in a derby and ned got up and objected. Mackay told him "if you think that one was bad wait till you feel the next one" and jogged off leaving ned speechless.

Matty_Jack04
03-03-2015, 06:21 AM
RIP Mr McKay condolences to his family and freinds

bodoglimt
03-03-2015, 06:38 AM
The picture of Dave holding Billy Bremner gave you an insight into the player.

RIP

Aldo
03-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Sad news. RIP

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Sad news. RIP.

flash
03-03-2015, 07:00 AM
One of Scottish football's all time greats. RIP.

jodjam
03-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Met him once at Musselburgh races. Was a lovely man and spent a bit of time chatting. He mentioned his wife's family were all Hibs supporters RIP

Billy Whizz
03-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Sad news, met him in Fuengirola a few years ago while on a lads holiday

ronaldo7
03-03-2015, 07:13 AM
What a gentleman he was. Met and discussed football at Tiny a few years back.

RIP

bournehibby
03-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Met DM when he first arrived in Swindon as manager of STFC in 1972. Stayed in the same Swindon hotel as him whilst on business. Real gent, had time to chat, and was nice to have the company (albeit brief) of a fellow Edinburgh boy. RIP big man thanks for the memories.

bh

Tom Hart RIP
03-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Very sad news. He was about to sign for hearts from Spurs as player manager but Cloughie persuaded him to move to Derby where he also became a legend.

scoopyboy
03-03-2015, 07:37 AM

RIP

One of my favourite photos.

God knows how many pubs I have seen the picture in.

heretoday
03-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Too young to see him with Hearts but I caught him at The Lane a couple of times. Not a great player but the sort of guy you'd want on your side rather than on the other side! A captain courageous who was famous for breaking limbs - not all of them his own.

Thecat23
03-03-2015, 07:42 AM
A Scottish legend who was very well respected down south. Very sad to read he has passed away!

R.I.P

Phil D. Rolls
03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Sorry to hear this news. A great player in his day. Condolences to his family.

PatHead
03-03-2015, 08:08 AM
RIP and condolences to his family.

Never saw him play but met the man and he was a lovely guy. He told me the reason he grabbed Bremner was that he had just returned from a leg break and Bremner tried to "do" him. He was really embarrassed by and hated the picture.

Not only a Hearts legend but a Spurs one as well. Surprised he only got 22 caps.

Hibby Gav
03-03-2015, 08:13 AM
A Scottish footballing great....RIP Sir

AndyM_1875
03-03-2015, 08:16 AM

Never saw him play but met the man and he was a lovely guy. He told me the reason he grabbed Bremner was that he had just returned from a leg break and Bremner tried to "do" him. He was really embarrassed by and hated the picture.

Not only a Hearts legend but a Spurs one as well. Surprised he only got 22 caps.

Firstly condolences to Dave Mackay's family.

Not a surprise that Dave Mackay only got 22 caps despite being a superb player.
Our own greatest player, Gordon Smith was only capped 19 times.
Neither man of course played for the Old Firm.

Deansy
03-03-2015, 08:22 AM

Ditto before my time but i also met him and asked about THAT picture - just smiled and said -"Told him I was going to kill him - he KNEW I'd just come back from breaking my leg" !!. Got the impression I was talking to a true gentleman - RIP.

hibsfan7
03-03-2015, 08:27 AM
The reason he only got 22 caps was simple he NEVER played for EITHER of the OLD FIRM R.I.P

lyonhibs
03-03-2015, 08:41 AM

RIP

He apparently hated that image, as it showed him having momentarily lost it, which wasn't his game at all from what I understand. Apparently, Bremner had just booted it him twice on the leg that he had broken and only recently recovered from.

Anyway, a sad day for Edinburgh football to lose a great player from an era where Scottish football was decidedly greater than it is today.

JimBHibees
03-03-2015, 08:42 AM
RIP Dave Mckay. There's a story about him in one of the books I've read, I think it was lawrie reilly's autobiography, where he says the only time he ever saw eddie turnbull lost for words was when mackay crunched him in a derby and ned got up and objected. Mackay told him "if you think that one was bad wait till you feel the next one" and jogged off leaving ned speechless.

Thats brilliant. RIP Dave. True legend of the game.

Lucius Apuleius
03-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Hard but fair man from what I recall. RIP and condolences to the family

Dan Sarf
03-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Saw him play many times, always with apprehension when it was against the Hibs. A winner through and through.

RIP.

IWasThere2016
03-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Met Dave years ago - when I was a kid - as I grew up a few doors away from his brother in Glenrothes.

RIP.

ancient hibee
03-03-2015, 09:09 AM
He and to a lesser extent John Cumming turned Hearts from being an entertaining team to the superb team they were from the mid 1950s-their best ever team.No coincidence that exactly the same thing happened when he went to Spurs.People that never saw him seem to think he was a dirty player.He wasn't of course -he was hard as nails but I don't think he was ever sent off.He was a very nice guy.When I was a kid I got his autograph at Easter Road and he laughed and pointed out where he had signed my book once before saying"it's no that you canny read son -it's that I canny write".

WillowbraeHibby
03-03-2015, 09:40 AM
RIP Dave Mackay... A superb player, one of the true Scottish greats... Sincere Condolences to his family.

sh00byd00
03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
He and to a lesser extent John Cumming turned Hearts from being an entertaining team to the superb team they were from the mid 1950s-their best ever team.No coincidence that exactly the same thing happened when he went to Spurs.People that never saw him seem to think he was a dirty player.He wasn't of course -he was hard as nails but I don't think he was ever sent off.He was a very nice guy.When I was a kid I got his autograph at Easter Road and he laughed and pointed out where he had signed my book once before saying"it's no that you canny read son -it's that I canny write".

Aye, back when players had some humility about them. What you saw on the park wasn't what you got off the park. I've spoken to him twice, well, he spoke with my son more the second time and told him he was proud that his allegiance was with his local club [Hibs] and not some mega successful club. It was back when every man and his dog "had always" supported either OF club even though they used to run around with either Hibs or Hearts tops the year before.

Bostonhibby
03-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Proper hard but fair player on the pitch and quality off it. True Scottish legend and a gentleman off the pitch by all accounts. RIP

crewetollhibee
03-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Had a look at a Spurs' forum to read their comments, there's a great photo of MacKay with John White. Underneath it says - ' Hope these 2 are having a great catch-up'. Great thought. RIP old fella.

Peevemor
03-03-2015, 10:59 AM

It's a pity he didn't like the picture - it's always been one of my favourites

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/21/article-1088232-0007DBD700000258-45_468x323_popup.jpg

RIP Dave MacKay

snooky
03-03-2015, 11:02 AM
He apparently hated that image, as it showed him having momentarily lost it, which wasn't his game at all from what I understand. Apparently, Bremner had just booted it him twice on the leg that he had broken and only recently recovered from.

Anyway, a sad day for Edinburgh football to lose a great player from an era where Scottish football was decidedly greater than it is today.

Personally I think the Bremner photo is one of the most iconic football photos ever.
The man was a legend.
RIP, Old Warhorse.

cmcd
03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Too young to see him with Hearts but I caught him at The Lane a couple of times. Not a great player but the sort of guy you'd want on your side rather than on the other side! A captain courageous who was famous for breaking limbs - not all of them his own.

Not a great player Are you for real Would have had DM in my Hibs team any time

poolman
03-03-2015, 11:18 AM
I have a mate who played with Dave Mackay when he was at Derby.

Clough was the manager and he says that he was the only player at the club he called by his first name and he always called him David

Biggie
03-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that Dave Mackay said he'd achieved all he ever wanted to to achieve in the game by playing for his beloved hearts and Scotland.
Can't say fairer than that....RIP Dave

--------
03-03-2015, 12:16 PM

RIP

One of my favourite photos.

God knows how many pubs I have seen the picture in.

Yup.

He said that as Bremner came on to him he realised that he was aiming for the leg that had just healed.

Mackay just managed to get his foot off the ground before Bremner hit him, otherwise the leg might well have broken again (which I have no doubt was the thought in the mind of BB who was a thoroughly nasty piece of work).

With the foot off the ground no serious damage was done, but Mackay went down heavily and bounced up to grab BB by the shirt front. Happily the referee got there before DM punched the wee toe-rag's lights out.

He WAS embarrassed by the picture because while he was a seriously hard tackler, he wasn't the sort of thug Bremner and his like were.

He was on Parkinson once, and Parkinson drew attention to the fact that DM was in the Scotland team who lost 9-3 to England at Wembley. (IIRC the goalkeeper Frank Haughey had to emigrate to Australia after that game?)

"You played in that game, didn't you?" chirps Porky.

"NONE of us played in that game," growls Mackay. "We were there, but we didn't play."

The look was enough. Porky changed the subject.

A great footballer and a very fine man. Very sorry to hear of his death.

Oh - for anyone who's been in outer space the last few years - the photo:

http://www.intosport.co.uk/acatalog/Tottenham-MackayBremner-finalprint-RE2540518.jpg

(Looks like El Tel's been overdoing the doughnuts there ....)

AndyM_1875
03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Yup.

He said that as Bremner came on to him he realised that he was aiming for the leg that had just healed.

Mackay just managed to get his foot off the ground before Bremner hit him, otherwise the leg might well have broken again (which I have no doubt was the thought in the mind of BB who was a thoroughly nasty piece of work).

With the foot off the ground no serious damage was done, but Mackay went down heavily and bounced up to grab BB by the shirt front. Happily the referee got there before DM punched the wee toe-rag's lights out.

He WAS embarrassed by the picture because while he was a seriously hard tackler, he wasn't the sort of thug Bremner and his like were.

A Jambo relation of mine used to get quite upset when Mackay was compared with the likes of that horrible Leeds team and Chelsea's pet thug Ron Harris.
He used to say "Huge difference. They were thugs who resorted top the snide and the dirty, Dave Mackay could play and he never went out to do anyone."

When you watch the videos of games in the late 60s when Harris is trying to break George Best's legs you can see what he means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFrynodsQ4

or try goal 10 here - Harris attempts to "do" Best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7cTlvHgUQ

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Appears to have been a success at every team he played for and loved by the fans of all of them. Some medal haul too, so what more can you say. RIP to a great player.

Tom Hart RIP
03-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Interview with Brian Moore, sky sport 1@ 10pm. Should be worth a watch

hfc rd
03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Just done a bit of reading about him and he seems like like he was a terrific footballer. Very sad to hear about his passing away today. R.I.P

Pretty Boy
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Sad news. A true Edinburgh football legend.

When you see players like MacKay pass away, much like ourselves with Lawrie, it's like a golden era of football goes with them. A day when players were ordinary guys who earned ordinary wages and appreciated the clubs they played for. Maybe I'm romanticising an era I never witnessed and maybe never existed though.

RIP.

Peevemor
03-03-2015, 05:51 PM

When you see players like MacKay pass away, much like ourselves with Lawrie, it's like a golden era of football goes with them. A day when players were ordinary guys who earned ordinary wages and appreciated the clubs they played for. Maybe I'm romanticising an era I never witnessed and maybe never existed though.

Those days ended with the advent of 'Bosman' and silly money TV deals.

fat freddy
03-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Dave McKay was a good friend and team mate of another Lothian man, the late John White, famously struck down by lightning while playing golf at the height if his powers. As John's boy, Rob, was just a baby at the time the Spurs players took it upon themselves to look after the young lad. When McKay became the manager of Derby he made a point of stopping by the White residence with the Derby team bus on the way to every game they played in London. He would pick the boy up, take him with the players to the match and let him sit in the dugout at every stadium they played at in the capital.... I read this in Robs book about his father, shortly after, I met Rob and he couldn't praise McKay highly enough. His loyalty and dedication to an old team mates laddie sums up the guys class. RIP

Peevemor
03-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Dave McKay was a good friend and team mate of another Lothian man, the late John White, famously struck down by lightning while playing golf at the height if his powers. As John's boy, Rob, was just a baby at the time the Spurs players took it upon themselves to look after the young lad. When McKay became the manager of Derby he made a point of stopping by the White residence with the Derby team bus on the way to every game they played in London. He would pick the boy up, take him with the players to the match and let him sit in the dugout at every stadium they played at in the capital.... I read this in Robs book about his father, shortly after, I met Rob and he couldn't praise McKay highly enough. His loyalty and dedication to an old team mates laddie sums up the guys class. RIP

That's brilliant.

bawheid
03-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Very sad. My Dad - one of the biggest Hibbies on the planet - absolutely raves about McKay.

Fat freddy's story above is class too.

RIP to a proper legend.

son of haggart
03-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Terrific story and gels with everything else I have heard about him and from him. A real gentleman in the best sense of that word.

Judas Iscariot
03-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Heard on the radio this morning that Dave Mackay said he'd achieved all he ever wanted to to achieve in the game by playing for his beloved hearts and Scotland.
Can't say fairer than that....RIP Dave

:agree:

Not many players as pationate about the club they support or country of birth nowadays!

Sad loss for his friends & family, Hearts, Edinburgh & Scotland

RIP

Sir David Gray
03-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Didn't know much about him but if the Hearts fans held him in the same regard as we did with Lawrie Reilly then he must have been some player.

Sad loss.

Hamish
03-03-2015, 07:14 PM
The THIRD item on the sports news on Reporting Scotland

You can guess what the first item was about:bitchy:

JimBHibees
03-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Real touch of class that. Don't make them like that nowadays.

Pretty Boy
03-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Out of interest was MacKay around at the time of the Edinburgh Select team playing an English opponent annually?

Always think it's a sign of how much the game has changed when you imagine guys like him (maybe) wearing a Hibs top every other year and vice versa with our legends.

The Harp
03-03-2015, 07:39 PM
Sad to hear the news of Dave Mackay's passing. One of the all-time greats of Scottish football and a true Hearts legend.
Rest in peace. Sincere condolences to Dave's friends and family.

Ricky Bobby
03-03-2015, 07:42 PM
To be held in such high regard by players pundits and fans alike tells you all you need to know. RIP

brog
03-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I saw Tommy Preston at ER for the Dumbarton game & Tom will be devastated by Dave's passing. In those days the Hibs & Hearts players were great friends off the park & played golf, bowls & even cricket together on a regular basis. I only had the privilege to meet Davie once but as others have said he was an outstanding player & leader, & more importantly a truly fine man.

Capt Mainwaring
03-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Dave Mackay was there to support Lawrie Reilly's Book launch at Easter Road. Lots of mutual respect that night between all the legends and supporters there.

Sad news indeed for an Edinburgh and Scotland great.

Condolences and thoughts to his friends and family

weststandhibby
03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Rest in peace. Sincere condolences to Dave's friends and family.

Jonnyboy
03-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Very sad news. As a club we know what it means to us when a legend dies and now Hearts will feel that same pain. RIP Dave

JT Fae The Toon
03-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Out of interest was MacKay around at the time of the Edinburgh Select team playing an English opponent annually?

Always think it's a sign of how much the game has changed when you imagine guys like him (maybe) wearing a Hibs top every other year and vice versa with our legends.

He was on his way to meet the then Hibs manager Hugh Shaw to sign when the Hearts groundsman, a near neighbour, alerted Hearts and the rest is history.

Scottie
03-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Wish I had been around then to see him play.

By all accounts a real Edinburgh gent. RIP Dave.

--------
04-03-2015, 01:41 AM

RIP.

I don't think so - players of Mackay's day had their feet much more on the ground than players nowadays.

Remember we're talking about one of the best footballers in Britain here - a really top player. He won all three trophies in Scotland with Hearts - a League Championship, a Scottish Cup and two League Cups, - and a Football League Championship in England, three FA Cups, and the European Cup-Winners' Cup with Spurs. Both those sides were good footballing sides with lots of talented players, and in both teams Mackay was one of the played who made up the backbone of the side.

I can only say that Dave Mackay was a very fine footballer, a hard tackler but brave and fair in his approach to the game, and unlike some of the 'hard men' who came after him, he was a MAN.

Not a cowardly thug.

Andy Bee
04-03-2015, 02:43 AM
He was on his way to meet the then Hibs manager Hugh Shaw to sign when the Hearts groundsman, a near neighbour, alerted Hearts and the rest is history.

I listened to him talking about that in an old interview last night......"I dunno if I'd of signed for them though, I'm a Hearts man" :greengrin

brog
04-03-2015, 06:47 AM
I don't think so - players of Mackay's day had their feet much more on the ground than players nowadays.

Remember we're talking about one of the best footballers in Britain here - a really top player. He won all three trophies in Scotland with Hearts - a League Championship, a Scottish Cup and two League Cups, - and a Football League Championship in England, three FA Cups, and the European Cup-Winners' Cup with Spurs. Both those sides were good footballing sides with lots of talented players, and in both teams Mackay was one of the played who made up the backbone of the side.

I can only say that Dave Mackay was a very fine footballer, a hard tackler but brave and fair in his approach to the game, and unlike some of the 'hard men' who came after him, he was a MAN.

Not a cowardly thug.

Absolutely right Doddie. I remember being told that after Spurs won the cup in their double year Davie returned to Edinburgh for the summer. He had a paper bag filled with notes of various denominations & placed/hid it on top of the wardrobe. He went out every night, treating all his friends & grabbing a handful of notes before he went. A few weeks in & the money was gone. Davie shrugged, ah well, back to work I guess & then worked his socks off getting fit for the new season. Changed days indeed, these were just ordinary guys blessed with a footballing talent & unlike today's spoiled prima donnas they never regarded themselves as being better than their peers.

--------
04-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Absolutely right Doddie. I remember being told that after Spurs won the cup in their double year Davie returned to Edinburgh for the summer. He had a paper bag filled with notes of various denominations & placed/hid it on top of the wardrobe. He went out every night, treating all his friends & grabbing a handful of notes before he went. A few weeks in & the money was gone. Davie shrugged, ah well, back to work I guess & then worked his socks off getting fit for the new season. Changed days indeed, these were just ordinary guys blessed with a footballing talent & unlike today's spoiled prima donnas they never regarded themselves as being better than their peers.

There's a story I heard years ago (grateful for confirmation or correction from fellow oldies, guys?) about the return leg of the first ever European Cup tie played in Scotland, Hibs against Rot-Weiss Essen back in 1956 or 1957. Tommy Younger, Laurie Reilly and Gordon Smith were away in Europe with the Scotland team, and were unable to get home in time for the game because of bad weather.

Hugh Shaw sends a ground-staff boy round to (I think) Alec Buchanan's house a couple of streets from the stadium to tell him to get round to ER, he's playing.

The laddies rings the bell. Alec comes to the door and is told, Get your boots and get round to the stadium - you're playing in the European Cup.

Alec says, fine, but I'll be a few minutes - my mother's just put dinner on the table and I'm not missing her mince and tatties for any bunch of Germans.

When he arrives, Hugh wants to know what kept him. Alec tells him about the mince and tatties and explains that they were so good he had stayed for second helpings. We were 4-0 up from the first leg and drew the home leg 1-1. Alec scored our goal.

But he had his leg pulled for a long time about his second plate of mince and tatties.

hibbybrian
04-03-2015, 02:10 PM
There's a story I heard years ago (grateful for confirmation or correction from fellow oldies, guys?) about the return leg of the first ever European Cup tie played in Scotland, Hibs against Rot-Weiss Essen back in 1956 or 1957. Tommy Younger, Laurie Reilly and Gordon Smith were away in Europe with the Scotland team, and were unable to get home in time for the game because of bad weather.

Hugh Shaw sends a ground-staff boy round to (I think) Alec Buchanan's house a couple of streets from the stadium to tell him to get round to ER, he's playing.

The laddies rings the bell. Alec comes to the door and is told, Get your boots and get round to the stadium - you're playing in the European Cup.

Alec says, fine, but I'll be a few minutes - my mother's just put dinner on the table and I'm not missing her mince and tatties for any bunch of Germans.

When he arrives, Hugh wants to know what kept him. Alec tells him about the mince and tatties and explains that they were so good he had stayed for second helpings. We were 4-0 up from the first leg and drew the home leg 1-1. Alec scored our goal.

But he had his leg pulled for a long time about his second plate of mince and tatties.

Confirmation here Doddie :thumbsup:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/buchanan-s-historic-and-gastronomic-euro-goal-1.275928

--------
04-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Confirmation here Doddie :thumbsup:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/buchanan-s-historic-and-gastronomic-euro-goal-1.275928

Ach, I don't know where I got 'Alec' from. It was Jock Buchanan. DOH! :grr:

southsider
04-03-2015, 02:43 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting the man in the board room of Derby County FC. We got match tickets through a great pal, the late Terry Anderson. Terry's brother Dessie was Mr McKay's assistant at DC for a while. On learning we were Hibs fans he said "i like to see both Edinburgh teams doing well". A true gent and I have been told, a great player.

NAE NOOKIE
04-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Was close to giving this its own thread:

Just watching Match of the day who paid tribute to Dave MacKay, they obviously mainly mentioned his time at Spurs and also at Derby. But no mention whatsoever of his Hearts connection with one league winners medal, one Scottish Cup winners medal and two League Cup winners medals. I'm no Jambo ( obviously ) but WTF :grr:

superfurryhibby
05-03-2015, 07:29 AM

Just watching Match of the day who paid tribute to Dave MacKay, they obviously mainly mentioned his time at Spurs and also at Derby. But no mention whatsoever of his Hearts connection with one league winners medal, one Scottish Cup winners medal and two League Cup winners medals. I'm no Jambo ( obviously ) but WTF :grr:

The BBC can be a tad forgetful when it comes to Scotland. Typically Anglo-centric in attitude, that omission is dreadful. Although you can erase the League Cup. After all it is a diddly cup and all.

Wished I's seen McKay play, he must have been some footballer. Respect to the man and his family.

lyonhibs
05-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Just watching Match of the day who paid tribute to Dave MacKay, they obwviously mainly mentioned his time at Spurs and also at Derby. But no mention whatsoever of his Hearts connection with one league winners medal, one Scottish Cup winners medal and two League Cup winners medals. I'm no Jambo ( obviously ) but WTF :grr:

That's an absolute nonsense. What a bunch of roasters.