PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Win or Promotion?

Waxy
02-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Ideally both but if you had the choice which would it be?

hibs0666
02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Scottish Cup

WillowbraeHibby
02-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Would like to see us lift the Scottish Cup before I pop my clogs... But promotion would be better for me.

HibsNutter
02-03-2015, 02:10 PM
If we don't go up this year we almost certainly will next year, who knows when we'll get a decent chance to win the Scottish again. I'd go for the Scottish, but I'm sure we'll win both. :wink:

Thecat23
02-03-2015, 02:23 PM
100% promotion for the good of the club. We aren't certs to win the league next year. The scottish would mean the world to me and no doubt us all but we must get promoted!

tanfield
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Scottish Cup!

tartanhibee
02-03-2015, 02:30 PM
If we win the scottish cup then the chances of winning promotion are slim unless we hold a good lead from the first leg off the play- off

SteveHFC
02-03-2015, 02:31 PM
If we win the cup i couldn't a **** about going up.

Aldo
02-03-2015, 02:33 PM
100% promotion for the good of the club. We aren't certs to win the league next year. The scottish would mean the world to me and no doubt us all but we must get promoted!

I'll agree we need promoted but I would forego that to win the Scottish.

Can I be greedy and want both!!

erin go bragh
02-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Seen us promoted twice . Never seen us lift that dam thing once . Easy choice . Cup by a mile .

Ggtth

Sir David Gray
02-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Promotion.

I don't think I could handle being a second tier club for another year.

Onion
02-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Easy. Cup.

andrew70
02-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Promotion, don't think people realise how damaging a second season in the Championship would be.

iainm1875
02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbeedavid
02-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Cup, no question, promotion will certainly come in next couple years if not his year, however God knows when we'll be in an as promising position as we are now with the cup

scoopyboy
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Scottish Cup, a no brainer for me.

I and many others who have supported the club for in excess of half a century may not see the Scottish Cup being won.

Hibs will on the other hand definitely return to the flight, if not this season then soon after.

JPrinty
02-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Scottish Cup - no brainer

Steve20
02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Scottish Cup. Winning the cup would be the best day in my life supporting Hibs. Getting promoted would be correcting a mistake.

I can wait another year or so to visit such great places like Kilmarnock, Inverness and Dundee if it means winning the cup.

Thecat23
02-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Yeah why not 😉

Aldo
02-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah why not dde09

;-) (if not both the Scottish for me)

Pete
02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Scottish Cup. Winning the cup would be the best day in my life supporting Hibs. Getting promoted would be correcting a mistake.

I can wait another year or so to visit such great places like Kilmarnock, Inverness and Dundee if it means winning the cup.

Totally agree. Not getting promoted this year won't be the end of the world.

lord bunberry
02-03-2015, 03:07 PM
I want neither,I'm reveling in the misery

Onion
02-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Easy. Cup.

Onion
02-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Promotion, don't think people realise how damaging a second season in the Championship would be.

But we'd all be too pissed to notice 🎉🎊🎈

Stranraer
02-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I'd easily take promotion, I could wait another year for the Scottish Cup :greengrin

Purple & Green
02-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Scottish Cup

yekimevol
02-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Cup to get it over and done with !!!

SlickShoes
02-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Never win the cup so threads like these are pointless, really fun to look back on though come summer time

Big_Franck
02-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Scottish Cup.

It's not even a difficult choice.

Johnny_Leith
02-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Scottish cup, v Dundee utd with McGowan scoring out winner with an own goal

shetlandhibee
02-03-2015, 04:57 PM
:top marks
Scottish Cup - no brainer

shetlandhibee
02-03-2015, 04:59 PM
:top marks
obv want both though:cb

offshorehibby
02-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Scottish Cup without a doubt.

PeeJay
02-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Has to be promotion - everything else is irrelevant

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Promotion....

Waxy
02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
I say cup myself. Would we not make alot of cash from a cup win to offset staying down?
I want both but we have to get our hands on the Scottish cup.

hibee
02-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Cup, I've enjoyed this season more than any other in the last few years so in no desperate rush to get back up.

Michael
02-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Winning the cup would be an unforgettable triumph. Going up is essentially just normality resumed (if not this year it will be pretty soon...). Pretty easy choice.

PaulC
02-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Has to be the Scottish Cup for me. Getting on a bit now. 😄

WillowbraeHibby
02-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Has to be the Scottish Cup for me. Getting on a bit now. 

Patience man.... Yer just a sprog... :greengrin

inglisavhibs
02-03-2015, 05:48 PM

For us older fans it has to be the cup.

3pm
02-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Either.

murray26
02-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Cup.. As said above promotion will come.. We've been waiting to long to lift this trophy.

hfc rd
02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Both please.

iwasthere1972
02-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Scottish cup, v Dundee utd with McGowan scoring out winner with an own goal

No thanks. Better if he scored an own goal but we won by at least five.

League or Scottish Cup . That's easy. Cup of course.

NAE NOOKIE
02-03-2015, 06:22 PM
If yer under 50 then promotion. If yer over 50 like me then Scottish cup :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Promotion.

The continued improvements at the club are reliant on us being back in the Premiership asap.

The medium to long term plan is that we will be good enough to challenge for trophies on a regular basis.

KSA Hibee
02-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Simples ...... Cup please :agree:

Fife-Hibee
02-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Its gotta be the cup

Baldy Foghorn
02-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Promotion.

The continued improvements at the club are reliant on us being back in the Premiership asap.

The medium to long term plan is that we will be good enough to challenge for trophies on a regular basis.

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

Eyrie
02-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Both, although if forced to choose it would be the Cup. We can always get promoted next season.

Speedy
02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Scottish cup without a doubt

pontius pilate
02-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Scottish cup without a shadow of a doubt promotion can come next year however the cup we just dont know. And if we can keep this team together a wee european run idealky both tho

heretoday
02-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Definitely the Cup!

Sir David Gray
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
I can't believe there's so many people voting for the Scottish Cup.

Hibs being in the Scottish Championship is an embarrassment and we need to be back in the big league next season.

I would love to win the Scottish Cup but not if it means being in this league.

Joe's ice cream
02-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Was talking about this with a mate as we left the Alloa game on Sat- reached the conclusion that you could relegate us again if it coincided with winning The Cup

sleeping giant
02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Cup win would eclipse anything we do this season .

WillowbraeHibby
02-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Hibs being in the Scottish Championship is an embarrassment and we need to be back in the big league next season.

We need to get out of this league soonest, if we win the cup as a bonus on the way to promotion... That would be fine.. Promotion it is for me.

rcarter1
02-03-2015, 07:18 PM
If yer under 50 then promotion. If yer over 50 like me then Scottish cup :greengrin

I disagree. Im voting for the Cup, but I admit I do feel over 50!! (wheres the geriatric smilie..)

If its an either or, The Cup would be the best way to get over the disappointment of staying down. I hope most of us are prepared for neither!?! Both would be absolutely superb. Rangers put to the sword in one, Celtic in the other. Hearts can wait for another day, but their card is marked…. :gun:

blackpoolhibs
02-03-2015, 07:28 PM
Promotion every time, why, because this year our names on it.

Biggie
02-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Scottish cup....no question

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Quite literally the easiest question ever. Cup by an utter distance.
This reminds me of the thread before the Hearts cup final when the question was beat Hearts and win the cup or stay in the premier(if we had to choose). Couldn't believe then how many people would accept losing a final to Hearts just to stay in the premier league. As it is, we got the joys of a hiding from Hearts AND relegation two seasons later.

What will be will be with regards to the league. If it's not this year then it will be next. 113 years FFS! I've already lost two grandads who never seen us win the bloody thing. It needs won!!!

MurrayfieldHibs
02-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Both.

Hermit Crab
02-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Cup. Promotion can wait.

Feed McGraw
02-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Absolutely, unashamedly, the cup.

Speedy
02-03-2015, 10:31 PM

People predicted an apocalypse if we got relegated. It happened and it's been no disaster.

And even when it happened we were still 3rd favourites to come up, so the club must have a plan B.

Sir David Gray
02-03-2015, 10:34 PM
People predicted an apocalypse if we got relegated. It happened and it's been no disaster.

And even when it happened we were still 3rd favourites to come up, so the club must have a plan B.

I'm not saying it would be a disaster to remain in the Championship next season.

It's just not a league that a club the size of Hibs should be in. We need to be in the Premiership and I'm hoping that's the case from next season.

Speedy
02-03-2015, 10:39 PM
I'm not saying it would be a disaster to remain in the Championship next season.

It's just not a league that a club the size of Hibs should be in. We need to be in the Premiership and I'm hoping that's the case from next season.

We should be in the premier league and I think we will be but it's not a great achievement imo. The cup on the other hand is something we've wanted to win all our lives and we'll need to beat top teams to achieve that.

silverhibee
02-03-2015, 10:41 PM

Got to agree with this, would love to see us lift the Scottish cup but we must get promoted this season, so promotion for me as well.

silverhibee
02-03-2015, 10:42 PM

Nothing wrong in being greedy. :thumbsup:

Hibs1992
02-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Absolute no contest in my opinion. Scottish Cup without a shadow of a doubt.

Yes we should be in the Premiership and playing against the likes of Dumbarton & Cowdenbeath for another season is not a thrilling prospect, but come on it's Hibs and the Scottish Cup!

Hibs winning the Scottish would more than likely be a once in a lifetime event for most fans (many have passed away without ever seeing it). We will be back in the Premiership before long regardless.

From a financial perspective I doubt we would be much worse off if we won the trophy and stayed in this division than if we were promoted. The money from the two trips to Hampden and the memorabilia that the club would sell off the back of it would make up for a large chunk. I would imagine attendances would be boosted at least initially next season as a result of winning the Scottish and if we start the season well (which would be expected given current form) and are top or near the top of the league the fans would keep coming back.

Imagine the scenes in Leith if the unthinkable happened and we won it :flag:

Greencore
03-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Scottish cup without a doubt. Hell I'd take us getting relegated this season and winning the scottish cup.

Maybe I'm just mental?

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Promotion. We're the only club who really bothers about the Scottish Cup, cause of our jinx, bar the Jambos, who only care for the same reason. It's Mickey Mouse to everybody else. When we win it, the tournament dies, as our record is the only story of interest it generates.

Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup is just a strange jinx.

Hibs in a lower tier of Scottish football is crap and embarrassing.

Stranraer
03-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Promotion. We're the only club who really bothers about the Scottish Cup, cause of our jinx, bar the Jambos, who only care for the same reason. It's Mickey Mouse to everybody else. When we win it, the tournament dies, as our record is the only story of interest it generates.

Hibs not winning the Scottish Cup is just a strange jinx.

Hibs in a lower tier of Scottish football is crap and embarrassing.

:aok: I couldn't face another season in the Championship, I have a horrible feeling that Celtic will break our hearts yet again if we play them at Hampden. The way things are going promotion is more important and I think we could beat the bottom 3 of the Premiership.

Turkish Green
03-03-2015, 10:12 AM
For me, I would like to see them win the cup in my lifetime. Promotion can wait a year.

LancsHibs
03-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Get that bloody cup won Hibs:cup:

mutley
03-03-2015, 10:39 AM
I think I am in the same boat as the majority. Yes in a perfect world I'd like to see both, but if I had the option it would have to be the cup. In The Final That Shall Not Be Named, I really thought that we were going to win it, but the exact opposite happened. This year I feel that we will be in the semis and maybe the final, but I just don't know beyond that.
Yes we should never have got relegated and do not belong in the championship, but if worse case scenario means another year there, I could live with that IF we won the cup.

snooky
03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Has to be the Scottish Cup for me. Getting on a bit now. 

What's the big deal with the Scottish Cup?
We've already won it - twice.
Okay, it was a wee while ago. :cool2:

hibbeedavid
03-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Scottish cup without a doubt. Hell I'd take us getting relegated this season and winning the scottish cup.

Maybe I'm just mental?

Mental but I like it!

southern hibby
03-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Cup for me as long as we can keep the team together. If it means splitting team up then promotion.

GGTTH

Speedy
03-03-2015, 11:25 AM
What would be the difference financially between promotion and staying in this division?

Obviously all hyopthetical but there's a part of me that thinks staying in this league and romping it next year might be better long term.

G-Reg
03-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Has to be the cup, my Dad is in his 70's and struggles to get to games now and he said after the Celtic final he wouldn't make another one, I'll carry him up the stairs if I have to.

Robinho08
03-03-2015, 11:27 AM
At the beginning of the season I didn't expect us to win promotion and we still might not, obviously I hope we go up but if I had to pick... Scottish cup please. :flag:

Geo_1875
03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Cup every time.

#FromTheCapital
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
No brainer - Scottish Cup

--------
03-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Scottish Cup

Absolutely. Win it this year and go up next. Only the second team from the second tier of Scottish football to win it? That would be something.

And it would be a great way to kick off the next season and promotion.

emerald green
03-03-2015, 05:50 PM
I suspect of you asked the people running HFC - The Board, The CEO, The Head Coach and their staff, they would opt for promotion.

As far as I'm concerned I tend to go along with that train of thought, i.e. promotion is more important to the club.

However, I would also love to see Hibs win the Scottish Cup before I check out, not just for myself but in memory of all those who have supported Hibs down through the generations but never got to see it. It would be very emotional, but what a party. Just once, that's all I want.

Dashing Bob S
03-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Really don't get how winning a tournament that takes five games and is won every other year by a very average club/team is such a big deal for some folk. It's the ultimate Mickey Mouse competition, even more so than the League Cup, which is at least seeded, so you usually get a difficult QF as well as SF/F. The Scottish Cup you can play dross up to and including the final. A bit silly that they give a European place for this nonsense. Yes, if we won it, I'd enjoy a great evening, then probably squirm with embarrassment that it took us so long.

I honestly think that Hibs fans are the only ones that really care about this - nobody else goes until the semis.

mca
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Really don't get how winning a tournament that takes five games and is won every other year by a very average club/team is such a big deal for some folk.

So Hibs have been Less than Average for over a Hundred Years by not winning it..

Roxyhibee
03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
Really don't get how winning a tournament that takes five games and is won every other year by a very average club/team is such a big deal for some folk. It's the ultimate Mickey Mouse competition, even more so than the League Cup, which is at least seeded, so you usually get a difficult QF as well as SF/F. The Scottish Cup you can play dross up to and including the final. A bit silly that they give a European place for this nonsense. Yes, if we won it, I'd enjoy a great evening, then probably squirm with embarrassment that it took us so long.

I honestly think that Hibs fans are the only ones that really care about this - nobody else goes until the semis.

Without doubt the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on any thread, anywhere.

Have a quiet but serious word with yourself man - winning the Scottish Cup would be the most incredible day in Hibs fans and the clubs history in 60+ years. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're at the wind up..

Danderhall Hibs
03-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Spot on DBS.

Danderhall Hibs
03-03-2015, 10:02 PM
So Hibs have been Less than Average for over a Hundred Years by not winning it..

Or maybe more than average?

JJP
03-03-2015, 10:42 PM
We have waited so long for the cup, I for one don't mind waiting another few years (not too many, mind). But the idea of staying in this league next season with no Hearts and potentially no Rangers is not something I would look forward to. We need promotion sharpish and that has to be the number one priority, in my opinion.

Sir David Gray
03-03-2015, 10:54 PM
We have waited so long for the cup, I for one don't mind waiting another few years (not too many, mind). But the idea of staying in this league next season with no Hearts and potentially no Rangers is not something I would look forward to. We need promotion sharpish and that has to be the number one priority, in my opinion.

:agree: The thought of our biggest game of the season next year being against Falkirk or St Mirren actually depresses me.

Being in the Premiership next season is the one and only short term goal that I have for Hibs.

monktonharp
03-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Ideally both but if you had the choice which would it be? cup please, before I die thanks

monktonharp
03-03-2015, 11:11 PM
:agree: The thought of our biggest game of the season next year being against Falkirk or St Mirren actually depresses me.

Being in the Premiership next season is the one and only short term goal that I have for Hibs.ok Trig, sorry but I do disagree. I'd like to wear a nice shiny new cup winners strip next season, if I have to wear it in the Alamo bar in Caledonia Street, Paisley before we meet them in a championship match at the start of the season. ta.:greengrin

monktonharp
04-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Absolutely. Win it this year and go up next. Only the second team from the second tier of Scottish football to win it? That would be something.

And it would be a great way to kick off the next season and promotion.:agree: Even if we have to face Celtic in the final. that's the way I'd like to see us win it. thought we might have sneaked it against them 2 years ago, but not to be. I also wanted them, the year before that but ended up wi' the ****. Celtic humiliated us way back in 72' and I'd like to win against them in the Scottish cup final. end of.

BT58
04-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Winning the cup could be a win win for fans and club alike.
Being a greedy bassa i want both.
The cash generated with a cup win could let AS attract other quality players to the club ( and show others who are thinking of leaving to stay).

Hibrandenburg
04-03-2015, 06:55 AM

And it would be a great way to kick off the next season and promotion.

Was browsing through to see if anyone else had posted this opinion. Getting this particular chip off our shoulders whilst being in the 2nd tier would almost make the downward slide of the last few years worth while and would be a great milestone to remember where and when the turning point began.

Scottish Cup for me too.

blackpoolhibs
04-03-2015, 06:57 AM

Without doubt the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on any thread, anywhere.

Have a quiet but serious word with yourself man - winning the Scottish Cup would be the most incredible day in Hibs fans and the clubs history in 60+ years. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're at the wind up..

Hook line and sinker. :tee hee:

Sir David Gray
04-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Winning the cup could be a win win for fans and club alike.
Being a greedy bassa i want both.
The cash generated with a cup win could let AS attract other quality players to the club ( and show others who are thinking of leaving to stay).

Not sure how successful the bit in bold will be if we continue to ply our trade in the second tier of Scottish football.

Hibs being a Premiership team once again would do far more to persuade quality players to come to Easter Road than a cup win ever would.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2015, 11:30 PM

Sheltered life?

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Spot on DBS.

I believe that too many people are simply programming disappointment into their lives by accepting the Jambo agenda about this joke lottery. I'll celebrate as much as anybody if we won it, but I'd much rather be spared the embarrassment of being in the second tier of a poor league.

portyhibernian
04-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Probably prefer to win the cup, but I think we've actually got a chance of doing both. Assuming we beat Berwick, I'd be optimistic of beating any of the remaining sides in a one off game at Hampden.

we are hibs
05-03-2015, 06:32 AM
scottish cup.

ian cruise
05-03-2015, 07:09 AM
We need to keep this team together, hold on to players like Allan, Malonga, Fyvie, Fontaine, Gray, McGeough, Oxley to name a few. I'm not convinced that another season down in this division would do so, even with a cup win. AS and co will only be able to attract players of this standard for so long while we are out of top division. Go up and see how far we can go in the top flight and there's a good chance they'll re-sign. Stay down, even with a cup win and I fear we lose them, if not this year then maybe next. For that reason i would, regrettably pick promotion over the cup.

Lucky we are doing both though so we don't have to decide :wink:

Alex Trager
05-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Never win the cup so threads like these are pointless, really fun to look back on though come summer time

Hopefully we are lookin back at this post and laughing :)

Alex Trager
05-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Probably prefer to win the cup, but I think we've actually got a chance of doing both. Assuming we beat Berwick, I'd be optimistic of beating any of the remaining sides in a one off game at Hampden.

This.

I think both are very possible.

Northernhibee
05-03-2015, 01:12 PM
TBH I'd fancy us to be top four SPL on our current form, I don't fear any team who plays us in the cup.

Even still, we are not a lower league team, we are Hibs and we need to be in the top flight. That's my priority.

Islington Hibs
05-03-2015, 01:16 PM
let's not be greedy! Would be delighted with either.:greengrin

Albanian Hibs
05-03-2015, 01:27 PM
The cup.

Roxyhibee
05-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I believe that too many people are simply programming disappointment into their lives by accepting the Jambo agenda about this joke lottery. I'll celebrate as much as anybody if we won it, but I'd much rather be spared the embarrassment of being in the second tier of a poor league.

You sound as if you are locked in a deep seated denial that the Scottish Cup means anything. Which I kind of understand. It's painful.

But if you ask fans of other clubs who have won it in the past few decades and also suffered relegation at some points in their history such as St Mirren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Dundee Utd and Hearts, I'm pretty sure none of them would swap having their names on the trophy and the incredible day out they had at Hampden winning it, with the day they got back into the SPL.

I remember being promoted in 1980 and 1999 and although it felt good to be back, I'd have stayed down another season if it meant we won the Scottish Cup that year. The feel good factor and spin offs of winning a trophy lasts for generations and we are woefully lacking in that department.

Making statements like yours does our club no favours, as our current image is one of a soft touch treading water, with little ambition of real glory for our long suffering fans and you are perpetuating that image.

I dont want to spend another season in the lower leagues and will be gutted if we don't win the play offs (which I believe we can) but winning the Scottish Cup.?! Would easily be the best day in my 50+ years supporting Hibs - and I think we have a fighting chance..

alexhibs
05-03-2015, 01:53 PM

Scottish Cup

weonlywon6-2
05-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Scottish Cup

Mr White
05-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Head says promotion, heart says cup but they both say **** hearts the cheating ****ing delinquent ****s.