PDA

View Full Version : Innovation

Moulin Yarns
01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Watching the rugger, and I noticed the ref is wearing a camera we can see and a microphone we can hear. So much better than the secret squirrel stuff in football.

leggeto
01-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Watching the rugger, and I noticed the ref is wearing a camera we can see and a microphone we can hear. So much better than the secret squirrel stuff in football.

Yeah the egg chasers are spot on with the technology, pity we're not allowed it

Deansy
01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/video-refs-football-s-biggest-decision-on-ice-1-3705235

Reagan - 'it could interfere with the free-flowing nature of football'

Plus it could also mean a 'Level Playing-field' happening in Scottish Football and that WOULD seriously affect the 'fortunes' of our two biggest clubs - and not forgetting it would also endanger the 'earnings' of our referees !!.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I would just like better decision making, never mind cameras.

We all saw two shocking decisions from the ref in the recent Dumbarton game, especially the handball.

Yet at the Wongadome yesterday their first goal was for a handball where a firmly hit shot stuck a defenders arm from 4 yards away and the player was sent off too. In our game it was a cross from 15 yards away which the ref plainly saw the defender had moved his arm to cut out and we got nothing.

Note ... just realised that wasn't the sending off

Gordy M
01-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Yeah the egg chasers are spot on with the technology, pity we're not allowed it
Until someone can answer me this, i dont want technology....striker is through on goal and is tackled by a defender....ref blows for a pen and the ball rolls to his strike partner but the gme has been stopped for the pen.....video technology is looked at and its clear that the defender won the ball.....where does the game re-start??

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Until someone can answer me this, i dont want technology....striker is through on goal and is tackled by a defender....ref blows for a pen and the ball rolls to his strike partner but the gme has been stopped for the pen.....video technology is looked at and its clear that the defender won the ball.....where does the game re-start??
The ref would n't award a penalty until the technology had been looked at, instead would blow up stop game and look at video. If no foul game would restart with bounce ball.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 06:12 PM

The ref wouldn't blow to stop the game until he saw what happened for the rest of the attack.

Gordy M
01-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Yeh not sure a bounce ball in the box is a satisfactory way to restart the game? And if the ref allows the game to continue, and the team dont score, at what point does he stop the game?

Anyway, i dont think u can have video technology for matters of opinion? Goal line is fair enough but what i think is a penalty, you might not? How does that help apart from disrupt the game?

wookie70
02-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Football has much to learn from Rugby. The rule book is updated regularly for the betterment of the game and spectacle and referees impliment it very consistently. Lots of things could be quickly implimented into football. Video used after games to punish diving. Take time keeping away from referees with the clock visible and stopped for injuries and substitutions. Ability for ref to add time on for time wasting. Countdown for bye kicks to speed up play similar to basketball. Every season the authorities should sit down and look at way of speeding the game up and making it better for those viewing. The spray for free kicks is a great example of how simple ideas work well. I would have also brought in a measuring tape with it.

I would also look to cricket and snooker and see if changes in format for cup comps could get more supporters in. Extra points for more goals, offside lines, dribble and score from halfway line instead of penalties. There are hundreds of ways to shake football from its slumber but the problem is that most ideas do not avantage the premium clubs and they are all that the football authorities are interested in.

Danderhall Hibs
02-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeh not sure a bounce ball in the box is a satisfactory way to restart the game? And if the ref allows the game to continue, and the team dont score, at what point does he stop the game?

Anyway, i dont think u can have video technology for matters of opinion? Goal line is fair enough but what i think is a penalty, you might not? How does that help apart from disrupt the game?

As soon as the attack is over.

The advantage rule in football is rubbish, rarely it works to anyone's benefit. Sometimes in rugby it goes on too long but in football it's not long enough.

Kaff
02-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Football has much to learn from Rugby. The rule book is updated regularly for the betterment of the game and spectacle and referees impliment it very consistently. Lots of things could be quickly implimented into football. Video used after games to punish diving. Take time keeping away from referees with the clock visible and stopped for injuries and substitutions. Ability for ref to add time on for time wasting. Countdown for bye kicks to speed up play similar to basketball. Every season the authorities should sit down and look at way of speeding the game up and making it better for those viewing. The spray for free kicks is a great example of how simple ideas work well. I would have also brought in a measuring tape with it.

I would also look to cricket and snooker and see if changes in format for cup comps could get more supporters in. Extra points for more goals, offside lines, dribble and score from halfway line instead of penalties. There are hundreds of ways to shake football from its slumber but the problem is that most ideas do not avantage the premium clubs and they are all that the football authorities are interested in.

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but unfortunately for them the referee often is the difference between winning and losing a tight game, i wouldnt want games dictated by that level of interference. Of course Thomson type biasedness has to be dealt with but if its general incompetence we suffer from i can handle that.

worcesterhibby
02-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Rugby needs the referee miked up because no one understands the rules, so they have to be explained to the general public. It's complicated, much of what happens is out of sight under 10 hairy blokes and they change the rules every 5 minutes.

Football is simple…we should keep it that way.

jacomo
02-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Rugby needs the referee miked up because no one understands the rules, so they have to be explained to the general public. It's complicated, much of what happens is out of sight under 10 hairy blokes and they change the rules every 5 minutes.

Football is simple…we should keep it that way.

Instinctively I agree with this - technology can help with clear cut decisions (such as whether the ball has crossed goal line or not) but video replays etc have the potential to take a lot of the pace and excitement out of the game. Retrospective action can be taken against cheats.

TowerHibs
02-03-2015, 03:09 PM
So in Scottish cup, team a goes to parkhead which has all the technology set up for helping the ref. Team b goes to Spartans where there is no technology.....hardly a level playing field.

As someone said above, goal line technology is fine, maybe if something can happen with offsides (like the vests the guys where to train which tracks all movement) but for subjective like pens and free kicks it would just disrupt the game. I don't think refs mean to make mistakes and would take the pro game further away from lower league.

ACLeith
02-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Take time keeping away from referees with the clock visible and stopped for injuries and substitutions. Ability for ref to add time on for time wasting.

For a long time I have felt that there should be a timekeeper who stops the clock every time there is a break in play e.g. throw in, bye kick, free kick, penalty, injury, substitution, etc and only restarted when the ball is thrown/kicked back into play. We play 30 minutes each way of "real" time.

This abolishes time wasting completely. There would need to be time clocks visible everywhere in the stadium, I know the question could be how far down the pyramid that can realistically go, but improvements can't always be held back because of lower divisions.

pogo
02-03-2015, 03:23 PM
As someone who actually works in this field (I actually do the refcam for rugby, and for ladies football(GAA)), the camera is chest mounted, so is only really used for things like scrums, where the referee's body is orientated towards the action. Occasionally you may see a replay from it, but more often than not it's the ref's head that is turned towards the action, so all you'll see is completely unrelated to what is happening.
The main reason it was introduced is to give a different angle that the director of the match coverage can use if it's decent. A head mounted system has been used, which obviously followed the action more, but has been dropped due to health & safety issues.
The ref's mic allows him contact with all the other officials, including the TMO, and has been around for some time now. One of the main reasons it works in rugby, but wouldn't for other sports, such as football, is because of the language involved. In rugby, only the captain of each team is allowed to talk to the referee. If you tried it with football, most of what is said would be censored! As it is we occasionally have to cut crowd, and/or pitch mics because of the colourful language used. If this occurs then it tends to be 'canned' crowd effects used instead!

Sudds_1
02-03-2015, 07:51 PM

goal kick I would suggest..................

NAE NOOKIE
03-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Please no ........ The game has more rules than bloody players. Watching the 6 nations it seems like everything apart from farting in the scrum can be penalised. The only thing I would like is an independent time keeper.