PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Premiership play-offs

Prawn Sandwich
01-03-2015, 03:08 PM
So Hibs, Falkirk and QOS still have the possibility of reaching a Scottish Cup final and the SFA release the Scottish Premiership play-offs schedule? The Scottish Cup final is on Saturday 30th May and the Play-off final on 31st May. So does anyone know what the Play-off schedule will look like if Hibs and/or Falkirk and/or QOS make it to the final? I take it all the games of the Play-off's will be squeezed together and played in May and being completed on Saturday 23rd?

Saturday May 9
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 1st leg
Wednesday May 13
Premiership play-off quarter-final, 2nd leg
Saturday May 16
Premiership play-off semi-final, 1st leg
Saturday May 23
Premiership play-off semi-final, 2nd leg
Thursday May 28
Premiership play-off final, 1st leg
Sunday May 31
Premiership play-off final, 2nd leg

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 03:10 PM
So Hibs, Falkirk and QOS still have the possibility of reaching a Scottish Cup final and the SFA release the Scottish Premiership play-offs schedule? The Scottish Cup final is on Saturday 30th May and the Play-off final on 31st May. So does anyone know what the Play-off schedule will look like if Hibs and/or Falkirk and/or QOS make it to the final? I take it all the games of the Play-off's will be squeezed together and played in May and being completed on Saturday 23rd?

Saturday May 9
Wednesday May 13
Saturday May 16
Saturday May 23
Thursday May 28
Sunday May 31

More than likely run into June for the final play off matches.

greenginger
01-03-2015, 03:12 PM
No need for concern. Rangers are out the cup and have been appointed as championship play-off Club. :greengrin

Prawn Sandwich
01-03-2015, 04:05 PM
No need for concern. Rangers are out the cup and have been appointed as championship play-off Club. :greengrin

That's what it seems like to me. 😉

Pretty Boy
01-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Knowing the absolute clueslessness of those who run the game up here it wouldn't surprise me if there was any conflict a club being made to choose between the SC and a play off place.

CropleyWasGod
01-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Saturday May 9
Wednesday May 13
Saturday May 16
Saturday May 23
Thursday May 28
Sunday May 31

The SFA have SFA to do with the SPFL play-offs.

However, one would think that the SPFL admin pricks would wander down the corridor at Hampden and ask their counterpart pricks... "ehhh..... who's left in the diddy Cup, by the way?"

Centre Hawf
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I expected to have had more midweek games this season than we've had. If they gave us 2 or 3 more midweek league fixtures this would bring the end of the season earlier and fix this problem.

greenlex
01-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Season running into June and the first Europa League games first week of July. Magic.:rolleyes:

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Season running into June and the first Europa League games first week of July. Magic.:rolleyes:

Dont think so. To qualify for Europe we have to win the cup. Think we'd be playing around 16th July

greenlex
01-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Dont think so. To qualify for Europe we have to win the cup. Think we'd be playing around 16th July
Celtic beat us in the final and they win the league do we not go in a round earlier as cup runners up?

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Celtic beat us in the final and they win the league do we not go in a round earlier?

Not this year, would go to 4th in the premiership, if Celtic win the League and the cup

greenlex
01-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Not this year, would go to 4th in the premiership, if Celtic win the League and the cup :aok:

PatHead
01-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Accordig to spfl site runners up do qualify

http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Premiership Champions
Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)

Scottish Cup winners
Europa League qualifying round 2

Scottish Premiership runners-up

Scottish Premiership third place
Europa League qualifying round 1

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 07:33 PM

The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Cup winners

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

So I've been taking ****
I thought the rule had changed this season?

PatHead
01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
So I've been taking ****

Think Platini is keen to build up Cup competitions and is the driving force.

IberianHibernian
01-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Scottish Cup winners

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.We`re talking about 2015/16 here. As for play off dates doubt police would be happy about 3 days`notice for a Hibs v Rangers .

Sir David Gray
01-03-2015, 08:44 PM
So I've been taking ****

The rules are changing from next season.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=1999120.html

Cup runners up will no longer qualify for Europe.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 08:55 PM
The rules are changing from next season.

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executive-committee/news/newsid=1999120.html

Cup runners up will no longer qualify for Europe.

So I wasn't talking ****

I actually agree with this. Should be given to league placings

greenlex
01-03-2015, 09:24 PM
So do we know for sure when the Scottush Cup winners actually play their first game?

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 09:30 PM
So do we know for sure when the Scottush Cup winners actually play their first game?
Try and work it our for us. Our co-efficient is 23

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Europa_League

Edit, looks like 2nd qualifying round on 16th/23rd July, think we might be away 1st!
All hypothetical at this stage

Sir David Gray
01-03-2015, 09:41 PM

They would enter at the second qualifying round stage and the first leg would be 16th July.

greenlex
01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Try and work it our for us. Our co-efficient is 23

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_UEFA_Europa_League

Edit, looks like 2nd qualifying round on 16th/23rd July, think we might be away 1st!
All hypothetical at this stage

No wonder football is in a mess. Looks like you need a lawyer to work that out. lol I'll worry about it later.

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 09:46 PM
They would enter at the second qualifying round stage and the first leg would be 16th July.

That would be good. I'm on holidays then. Long way away from that and only a very slim chance of that happening anyway.

PatHead
01-03-2015, 10:32 PM
So I wasn't talking ****

I actually agree with this. Should be given to league placings

:hide: Oops I am a :blah::loser:

Billy Whizz
02-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Interesting bit in the Sun today from Bill Leckie. Laying into the SPFL about the dates for the play offs. Suggesting that they don't think any of the Championship sides will get to the Scottish Cup Final, or Rangers are a stick on for the play off final.
The interesting think from the article, in his opinion, the play offs can't go past 31st May as players could be out of contract that day. The simplest way would be to end the premiership season, bottom 6 a bit earlier. Maybe they will look at that if any one of the sides get to the Cup Final/play off final. Will also disadvantage the championship club who will have 2 play 2 games a week before a major final

CropleyisGod
03-03-2015, 04:52 PM
When I was involved in youth football the reason why the season had to end in May was the cooncil took the posts doon...maybe that's it ;-)

hibbysam
04-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Was at the 'Hibernian tunnel' tour at Easter road last night and this was brought up to Stubbs during the Q&A, he said that hibs actually had to bring this up to the SPFL who gave an answer along the lines of 'well it might not happen'... Funnily enough both he and George Craig wouldn't be surprised if they made us or Falkirk/QOS play Thursday Saturday Sunday.. But hoped, obviously, that common sense prevailed... Meeting have been taking place with clubs this week regarding this also.

Scott Allan Key
04-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Interesting bit in the Sun today from Bill Leckie. Laying into the SPFL about the dates for the play offs. Suggesting that they don't think any of the Championship sides will get to the Scottish Cup Final, or Rangers are a stick on for the play off final.
The interesting think from the article, in his opinion, the play offs can't go past 31st May as players could be out of contract that day. The simplest way would be to end the premiership season, bottom 6 a bit earlier. Maybe they will look at that if any one of the sides get to the Cup Final/play off final. Will also disadvantage the championship club who will have 2 play 2 games a week before a major final

Okay, who knows which of our players are either out of contract or have their loan expire on 31st May?

Billy Whizz
04-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Okay, who knows which of our players are either out of contract or have their loan expire on 31st May?

I'm not sure anyone will know other than what's been registered with the league. We have a few players on loan, Oxley, Boyle and McGeough, and a few out of contract, Craig, Fyvie,Watson, Cerny and Fontaine.
Someone with contacts with players agents, may have a better idea if contracts end on the 31st May or not?

Scott Allan Key
04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

hibbysam
04-03-2015, 11:03 AM

George Craig didn't name names but did mention that loans and contracts have specific dates tied in, plus players and management holidays booked due to the 'end of season'! Moving play off games back may have huge consequences for some clubs or players!

Famous Fiver
04-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Sorry if it has been mentioned before but my reading of the situation is that if we finish third and reach the Cup Final, were we to lose the QF play off we will have no game between13th and 31st May, eighteen days. Is the Cup Final played to a finish on the day or is there a replay taking us into June when some player contracts may have expired?

Anyone clarify?

Ta.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Sorry if it has been mentioned before but my reading of the situation is that if we finish third and reach the Cup Final, were we to lose the QF play off we will have no game between13th and 31st May, eighteen days. Is the Cup Final played to a finish on the day or is there a replay taking us into June when some player contracts may have expired?

Anyone clarify?

Ta.
The 2nd leg of 3rd v 4th is on Saturday 16th May

The Scottish Cup Final is played to a finish on the day

Prawn Sandwich
09-03-2015, 01:02 PM
The Scottish Cup semi-final draw has plunged the Scottish Professional Football League into chaos after Hibernian and Falkirk, both of whom could be involved in the Premiership play-off final, were drawn together for a place in the Hampden showpiece, which takes place the day after the play-off second leg. (Daily Mail, print edition)

:confused: