PDA

View Full Version : Boyle - good and not good

eastcoasthibby
01-03-2015, 09:08 AM
I am totally split regards Boyle - not much of a goalscorer from what I have seen so far another horrendous sitter missed yesterday, but his pace gets him into position s and works the other teams defenders more. Alloa should have had a player sent off yesterday when Boyle was hauled to the ground, but genuinely I think he hasn't shown enough quality one way or another yet , and keep waiting for something because I do like his pace in the team.
Question that goes with this is does he give us more than Harris ? I personally think he does but interested to hear views.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 09:11 AM
I am totally split regards Boyle - not much of a goalscorer from what I have seen so far another horrendous sitter missed yesterday, but his pace gets him into position s and works the other teams defenders more. Alloa should have had a player sent off yesterday when Boyle was hauled to the ground, but genuinely I think he hasn't shown enough quality one way or another yet , and keep waiting for something because I do like his pace in the team.
Question that goes with this is does he give us more than Harris ? I personally think he does but interested to hear views.

He's not been brought in for his goals.

It's his pace and movement that helps the strikers.

PeterboroHibee
01-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Hes exactly how Dundee fans described him, lightning quick but no great end product. We needed something different up front though (which he offers), and Harris needed a changed of scenery, so I think it was still a decent move overall. He definitely does need to put in some extra work on his finishing though - he will never be a natural, but being more comfortable in front of goal would see him putting away the easier chances he gets.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Dundee boys at my work were not sad to see him go. Most comments were that he is bit of a one trick pony , and once the opposition have that sussed he has no options. That said, I think he has potential, and his quick feet are always a good asset to have. FWIW, I don't think that viewing him and Harris as straight swaps makes sense.

Stuarty27
He is doing fine,

Him and Cummings linked up well together and I think they are the best partnership.

Individually Malonga and Cummings would play for me but Malonga attitude is very poor IMO. He never celebrates when other players scores and hugs hissy fit yesterday was very poor.

ScottM1875
I can't actually believe how fast he is, it almost seems unnatural. His acceleration over a couple of metres is incredible. I'm not quite sure how his finishing can be that bad tho, especially the sitters he's missed, but I'd put it down to something phsycological.

B.H.F.C
01-03-2015, 09:32 AM
He really needs to start converting chances when one on one with the goalie. Another poor miss to add to the collection yesterday.

His general play is decent enough.

SlickShoes
01-03-2015, 09:36 AM
He is doing fine,

Him and Cummings linked up well together and I think they are the best partnership.

Individually Malonga and Cummings would play for me but Malonga attitude is very poor IMO. He never celebrates when other players scores and hugs hissy fit yesterday was very poor.

This is a load of old ****, his demeanor is deceptive as is the way he runs but the boy gives 100% and scores lots of goals. yesterday he was pissed off to get taken off and that is a good thing IMO.

I suppose this is the face of man that doesn't care about winning:

Photo above is from a Lewis Stevenson goal, a game in which Malonga himself did not score.

WillowbraeHibby
01-03-2015, 09:50 AM
A squad player with terrific pace, who links up well, he is not a natural striker, but if he can lay off to the strikers, this works for me...

When he finds himself in front of goal... I honestly think a wee bit of panic sets in.... All in all, fits in well, and will get one or two goals now and then.

Long term.... AS will decide on his future at ER.

Andy74
01-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Scored a few last season, just needs a bit of a run but not sure he will get it. I like him though. A very good option to have.

Iain G
01-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I can't actually believe how fast he is, it almost seems unnatural. His acceleration over a couple of metres is incredible. I'm not quite sure how his finishing can be that bad tho, especially the sitters he's missed, but I'd put it down to something phsycological.

There are some obvious parallels with Ivan, crazy quick and gets on the end of passes I think he has no chance with and harries and scares defenders, he is a proven goalscorer at this level and needs to keep his head up as he is getting into the areas for chances, a good option upfront as different agaim from any of our other forwards.

Heisenberg
01-03-2015, 09:53 AM
He's very quick and thats a good option to have. Missed some total sitters right enough.

Alfred E Newman
01-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Oh no, another thread slagging off one of the players. :yawn:

Matt92
01-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Would people relate him to Sproule? I seem to remember he was amazing at getting into good positions due to his pace but end product was often lacking...he was still a class act with his general passion for our club though...exciting players. Also important to note that whilst his end product may not be great - we can now stretch defences and pull players out of position to open up space elsewhere?

Scottie
01-03-2015, 10:00 AM
:agree:

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Ivan Sproule on a white stallion named 'Lexo'.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 10:18 AM

It's not really.

kaimendhibs
01-03-2015, 10:24 AM
I like him and want him to stay. He should never have been able to get to that ball yesterday let alone control it on that surface enough to skin the defender (who should have been off as Boyle was in). Ok, he misses chances but so do all our strikers.

eastcoasthibby
01-03-2015, 10:25 AM

Not a slagging of post at all , is it not healthy to discuss players and issues that relate to our club and players, I think most of the posts replies are positive in agreeing that he adds something to the team which is positive, the weakness in his game just now seems to be his finishing, but he is a worker and a different threat to teams ..the purpose of this thread was to get thinking on him and as one post reflects Stubbsy will decide on any future he might have with us!!

MSK
01-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Oh no, another thread slagging off one of the players. :yawn:You maybe want to read from the first post down again ..I cant see any post where anyone is slagging the player/s ...

emerald green
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Trying to mark a player with great pace, which Boyle has, is most defenders' nightmare. However he has to start putting these "sitters" in the back of the net because missing them can prove very costly.

If he had put away the chance to make it 4-1 against Falkirk at ER, I think Hibs would have taken all 3 points in that game. Instead Falkirk took heart from that miss and the game ended up a draw.

J-C
01-03-2015, 11:41 AM
He's not been brought in for his goals.

It's his pace and movement that helps the strikers.

Which is why the 4-4-2- diamond system is no good for a player like him, he needs to be played wide.

Listening to the game yesterday, Alloa seemed to be coping well with our system and negated the 2 wing backs, that's why Stubbs should've went to a 4-2-3-1 and stretched the game a bit, it all seemed to be played through the middle. Having two men out wide would push Alloa's players back allowing Gray/Stevenson to overlap and get space.

eebsie
01-03-2015, 11:46 AM
I started a post last week giving an opinion on Handling. Some positive and some negative stuff. That offended some people too. Maybe we need a board for rose tinted specs only. Where every player we have is a Messi in waiting and we are awarded 5pts for a win and losses are erased from the record?!

On Martin Boyle- I went to school with his Jambo Dad. So I'm hoping he goes on to be a Hibee legend!

Ronniekirk
01-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Trying to mark a player with great pace, which Boyle has, is most defenders' nightmare. However he has to start putting these "sitters" in the back of the net because missing them can prove very costly.

If he had put away the chance to make it 4-1 against Falkirk at ER, I think Hibs would have taken all 3 points in that game. Instead Falkirk took heart from that miss and the game ended up a draw.
After scoring a Hatrick for under 20 s he would of been confident coming into the game ,but as others have said he isn't an out and out natural finisher and is more a wide player who pace can hurt defences ,but in that case he needs to stick to being an provider and will probably score the odd goal from numerous chances ,but when we are one up we need to take sitters but think he has role to play but the more chances he misses that will start playing on his mind ,but his pace to get in behind defences is going to take him into positions where he will get oppertunities .

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2015, 12:17 PM

Oh no, another poster that can't differentiate between opinions, discussions and slagging off.

hfc rd
01-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Bit like an Ivan Sproule option. Someone to bring off the bench in the final 15-20 mins and run at the tired opposition defence. If he could work on his weaknesses, i.e. end product, he would be a very good player to have in the side.

inglisavhibs
01-03-2015, 12:48 PM
He is doing fine,

What a load of nonsense. Mallonga is a class player and we are lucky to have him.

Winston Ingram
01-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Oh no, another poster that can't differentiate between opinions, discussions and slagging off.

This.

I do wonder sometimes what we are supposed to be discussing if it's not our team/players

Bronson
01-03-2015, 07:48 PM
This is a load of old ****, his demeanor is deceptive as is the way he runs but the boy gives 100% and scores lots of goals. yesterday he was pissed off to get taken off and that is a good thing IMO.

I suppose this is the face of man that doesn't care about winning:

Photo above is from a Lewis Stevenson goal, a game in which Malonga himself did not score.

Exactly this, Malonga definitely cares. He's probably our best striker and arguably the best in the league.

Kaff
01-03-2015, 08:06 PM
I havent seen Boyle apart from tv so not commenting on him but a player with pace will be more useful for us when we come up against a team prepared to come out and attack us. Teams playing negatively leaving little room at the back and are harder to get in behind whereas if we are playing a high pressing team then quick balls can be very effective, shame he's cuptied as if we beat Berwick he would be great for Hampden against presumably higher level opposition.

SMAXXA
01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
He reminds me of Ivan and is drawing some comparisons with his ability. Don't forget that Ivan was the same couldn't score in a barrel of lady fronts for the good part if his early hibs career, he got better and improved and I'm sure Boyle will do the same. Happy with his contribution so far and think he is one who will get better.