PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon - most improved player?

bigwheel
01-03-2015, 07:18 AM
I thought Hanlon was MoM yesterday, another commanding performance. He seems to have grown in terms of his strength and his awareness on the park - could he be the most improved player this season ??

Brightside
01-03-2015, 07:22 AM
I thought Hanlon was MoM yesterday, another commanding performance. He seems to have grown in terms of his strength and his awareness on the park - could he be the most improved player this season ??

No - he's been excellent for years. Our fans just have most improved eye sight. :wink:

hibsbollah
01-03-2015, 07:25 AM
The 'most improved player' tag usually presupposes he wasn't that good before, and I'd say Hanlon was one of our best players last season. In fact he's been decent for three seasons or so now. Robertson is the obvious candidate for me; I would have been delighted if him and Craig were the first ones out of the door after relegation, but he seems to have turned his form around, a bit like Claros did in 2013.

ScottM1875
01-03-2015, 07:26 AM
He's playing well but I don't think he's necessarily the most improved. I think that titles got to go to Robbo or wee lewy

Winston Ingram
01-03-2015, 08:43 AM
he's not done as well as a right CB but was better yesterday on the left hand side

bigwheel
01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
he's not done as well as a right CB but was better yesterday on the left hand side

can't agree with that...I think he has been consistently good for weeks now...

S4uzee
01-03-2015, 09:42 AM
We have to remember he is playing in the championship

Northernhibee
01-03-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry, don't buy this argument. Abby of the top five would be a good addition to the top flight and he's played very well against them all.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
I think what people forget is Hanlon is still only 25, and just 25 at that. That's still young for a defender. He's been a 1st team player since he was 17 so people always seem to think he's older.

I've always rated him and defended him against some pretty hefty criticism. Had he not been injured last season I don't believe we would have been relegated. It's good to see more and more people are starting to appreciate what he brings to the side.

Baader
01-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Hanlon is a good defender and somewhat underrated.

I think his loss last season was overlooked and don't think - bad as we were under Dumb and Dumberer - we'd have gone down if he were available.

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2015, 10:01 AM
We have to remember he is playing in the championship

Exactly. He's largely playing against carthorses, and, in Kris Boyd only faces one in-form World Class striker 4-6 times a season.

jdships
01-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Understand he has benefited from sessions/long chats with Stubbs who after all wasn't a bad C/H himself
It appears he is doing this with a few players !!

Ronniekirk
01-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Is right centre back his favoured position ,if so that's maybe why Watson was partnering him and we did keep the clean sheet which is something we need to be doing going into playoffs , as gives as better chance of winning games .Stubbs is no fool ,he realised Booth cost us goals at right back and moved him on He brought in Gray who is best player we have had for years in that position .
He had fontain foster and Hanlon but has brought Watson in not just to give us cover in different positions which he does , but maybe he sees him as best partner for Hanlon if it allows Hanlon to play in favoured position .
Foster looks like the one that's going to loose out ,but he is still learning ,but ironically think he offers great goal threat with his head , but nice position to be in having strength in depth for a change and trying to have players in thier natural positions .

Brightside
01-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Is right centre back his favoured position ,if so that's maybe why Watson was partnering him and we did keep the clean sheet which is something we need to be doing going into playoffs , as gives as better chance of winning games .Stubbs is no fool ,he realised Booth cost us goals at right back and moved him on He brought in Gray who is best player we have had for years in that position .
He had fontain foster and Hanlon but has brought Watson in not just to give us cover in different positions which he does , but maybe he sees him as best partner for Hanlon if it allows Hanlon to play in favoured position .
Foster looks like the one that's going to loose out ,but he is still learning ,but ironically think he offers great goal threat with his head , but nice position to be in having strength in depth for a change and trying to have players in thier natural positions .

No - he would be a Left CB is we didn't have Liam in there too (who i can only imagine is 100% left footed)

Cabbage7062
01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I've always rated Hanlon as I think he reads the game very well and has done since a young age. Although I do think he has improved this season as we are seeing him be more aggressive in challenges and in the air. This side of his game was slightly lacking but I think Stubbs has done an excellent job with him.

ekhibee
01-03-2015, 04:07 PM
In answer to the opening post I'd say Stevenson is the most improved player, and by some way too. I've never particularly rated either him or Hanlon but they've both improved significantly under Stubbs in my opinion.

bigwheel
01-03-2015, 05:15 PM
In answer to the opening post I'd say Stevenson is the most improved player, and by some way too. I've never particularly rated either him or Hanlon but they've both improved significantly under Stubbs in my opinion.

Yes, I can see that...I actually always rated Stevenson, just felt he was taking one for the team" constantly playing in different positions - hard to disagree with his consistent performance this year though..I always say Paul as a good technical player for a CH, but felt him too lightweight for his role - not this season though - much stronger, and more of a leader...so much improved for me.

ekhibee
01-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Yes, I can see that...I actually always rated Stevenson, just felt he was taking one for the team" constantly playing in different positions - hard to disagree with his consistent performance this year though..I always say Paul as a good technical player for a CH, but felt him too lightweight for his role - not this season though - much stronger, and more of a leader...so much improved for me.
Yep, totally agree regarding Hanlon, he did look too lightweight in the past but he's definitely developed physically and as a player. Stevenson has been a revelation for me this season; he looks faster, keener and his crossing is much better. Well done to the lad for proving me, and plenty of others wrong.

we are hibs
02-03-2015, 06:30 AM
just dont rate him and dont see what others see in him. dives in quite a bit too.

Onion
02-03-2015, 06:50 AM

Hanlon has been excellent this season. However he's been up against really poor or fat lower division strikers. He struggles against stronger, faster guys who'll he meet again next season :wink:

Brightside
02-03-2015, 07:36 AM
just dont rate him and dont see what others see in him. dives in quite a bit too.

Paul Hanlon dives in??? Away and chase yersel.

we are hibs
02-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Paul Hanlon dives in??? Away and chase yersel.

He does? He commits himself and gets beaten far too easily. Being made to look better than he is purely due to the fact Fontaine is an exceptional defender.

Aldo
02-03-2015, 06:03 PM
He does? He commits himself and gets beaten far too easily. Being made to look better than he is purely due to the fact Fontaine is an exceptional defender.

Tell me a defender that doesn't dive in at times. IIRC the exceptional defender that is Fontaine was caught napping on a number of occasions the last time we played Alloa on their ***** surface and we lost 2-1.

Paul Hanlon has never and will never let the team or club down.

He has been excellent this season.

FWIW you are way of the mark if you think Fontaine is making Hanlon look good. By all accounts he was excellent on Sat!! and that's without Fontaine.

oneone73
02-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Tell me a defender that doesn't dive in at times. IIRC the exceptional defender that is Fontaine was caught napping on a number of occasions the last time we played Alloa on their ***** surface and we lost 2-1.

Paul Hanlon has never and will never let the team or club down.

He has been excellent this season.

FWIW you are way of the mark if you think Fontaine is making Hanlon look good. By all accounts he was excellent on Sat!! and that's without Fontaine.

This, 100 per cent.

02-03-2015, 06:10 PM
He's playing well but I don't think he's necessarily the most improved. I think that titles got to go to Robbo or wee lewy

Robertson definatly :agree:

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-03-2015, 08:25 PM

This...but wait! he's a Hibby and that makes it OK.

Still far too timid in the tackle and doesn't attack the ball like a center half should, Wouldn't have him in my team anyway.

Brightside
02-03-2015, 08:31 PM
This...but wait! he's a Hibby and that makes it OK.

Still far too timid in the tackle and doesn't attack the ball like a center half should, Wouldn't have him in my team anyway.

hahaha so one guy says he dives in and the next says he doesn't attack the ball like he should! brilliant stuff. At least we know where to look when we need a new manager! :greengrin:greengrin

Aldo
02-03-2015, 09:03 PM
hahaha so one guy says he dives in and the next says he doesn't attack the ball like he should! brilliant stuff. At least we know where to look when we need a new manager! :greengrin:greengrin

Your wasting your breath Underscore. Some folk will never see it IMHO.

I just wonder when these 2 will start on Lewis?? (Cos if it's not Paul it's Lewis and vice versa)

Hanlon has been excellent this season as have many others who played last season (Robertson, Lewis) but it's clear to me that neither have watched Paul play.

I actually wonder what folk expect!!

One defeat in 24 and folk are still no happy.

O and FWIW our most improved player, for me anyway is Scott Robertson.

Made me laugh tho!

B.H.F.C
02-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Robertson or Stevenson for me. They've both added something that they didn't show much of previously, goals and assists. Probably just Robertson as he also does a lot of Scott Allan's running for him to let him play IMO.

Not really noticed much difference in Hanlon. We've conceded less goals this year but there has been games where we have been up against absolutely nothing so I'd expect that.

Sammy7nil
02-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Hanlon is a good defender and somewhat underrated.

I think his loss last season was overlooked and don't think - bad as we were under Dumb and Dumberer - we'd have gone down if he were available.

:agree: Correct

steviehibsleith
03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I will judge Paul Hanlon on how he does in the playoffs and subsequently the SPL if we make it. Also in the Scottish cup after we hopefully progress and come across more stern opposition. Mom against Alloa well excacly who was he up against, can anyone tell me they even knew any Alloa players before we were relagated . I hold this view not just on PH but on all the Hibs players .

Brightside
03-03-2015, 04:32 PM
I will judge Paul Hanlon on how he does in the playoffs and subsequently the SPL if we make it. Also in the Scottish cup after we hopefully progress and come across more stern opposition. Mom against Alloa well excacly who was he up against, can anyone tell me they even knew any Alloa players before we were relagated . I hold this view not just on PH but on all the Hibs players .

IFFFFFFFF your happy and you know it clap yer hands!

steviehibsleith
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
IFFFFFFFF your happy and you know it clap yer hands!
The title of the thread is Paul Hanlon most improved player ?
I am raising the point is he improved because of the opposition he is playing against.
Sorry i answered the thread and upset you perhaps it should be changed to Paul Hanlon only praise and adulation allowed clap clap clap

TheFamous1875
03-03-2015, 04:36 PM
I think it's safe to say that next season (if we're promoted) will be the true telling of our players, the squad and of Alan Stubbs... Robertson is the most improved and Hanlon and Stevenson have been coming in leaps and bounds for the last 2 or 3 years - both are only getting better. Only if we're promoted will we be put to the sword and only then will we be able to see how far we've came.

Onion
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Agree 100% no problem recognising the "most improved" players but you need at acknowledge this is up against inferior opposition. If Stubbs is the manager we all hope he is, he'll know there is a team to get us out if this division and a team to compete in the Prem.

we are hibs
03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Your wasting your breath Underscore. Some folk will never see it IMHO.

I just wonder when these 2 will start on Lewis?? (Cos if it's not Paul it's Lewis and vice versa)

Hanlon has been excellent this season as have many others who played last season (Robertson, Lewis) but it's clear to me that neither have watched Paul play.

I actually wonder what folk expect!!

One defeat in 24 and folk are still no happy.

O and FWIW our most improved player, for me anyway is Scott Robertson.

Made me laugh tho!

tell me what he actually brings to the team seeing as you are obviously in superior knowledge to everyone else on what makes a good defender?

Brightside
03-03-2015, 06:17 PM
tell me what he actually brings to the team seeing as you are obviously in superior knowledge to everyone else on what makes a good defender?

Excellent decision making, minimal errors, superior reading of the game. Hanlon could be replaced right now by 3 first team players (Liam, Watson, Forster) yet its not him thats ever dropped. Almost every single manager has always picked him when he's fit. So if you don't rate him you are 100% not watching the game or not rating him fairly. As for the other poster saying its doesn't matter as he;s playing against rubbish this season....SO WHAT...Can we not just have one positive thread on here?

Aldo
03-03-2015, 06:36 PM

Sorry but if you cannot see it then I really don't know what you expect.

Aldo
03-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Excellent decision making, minimal errors, superior reading of the game. Hanlon could be replaced right now by 3 first team players (Liam, Watson, Forster) yet its not him thats ever dropped. Almost every single manager has always picked him when he's fit. So if you don't rate him you are 100% not watching the game or not rating him fairly. As for the other poster saying its doesn't matter as he;s playing against rubbish this season....SO WHAT...Can we not just have one positive thread on here?

Couldn't of put it better myself.

And FWIW I'm a Hanlon fan. (You probably knew that tho!)

steviehibsleith
04-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Excellent decision making
Minimal errors
Superior reading of the game
The above is what you believe PH brings to the game and perhaps it's peoples perception or what they desire in Central defender is where we differ. I personally want my CH to be more like below - from the soccer bible not my own words -"A center back must be strong, fearless, and good at timing tackles. Being tall is an advantage for a center-back as it allows him to win the ball in the air, an essential skill in corner kick situations "

bigwheel
04-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Excellent decision making
Minimal errors
Superior reading of the game
The above is what you believe PH brings to the game and perhaps it's peoples perception or what they desire in Central defender is where we differ. I personally want my CH to be more like below - from the soccer bible not my own words -"A center back must be strong, fearless, and good at timing tackles. Being tall is an advantage for a center-back as it allows him to win the ball in the air, an essential skill in corner kick situations "

Well if you have watched PH for most of this season then you must surely agree he has been a leader and easily matches that description you quote above ....

RyeSloan
04-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Hanlon was too easily out muscled for the first couple of seasons but I would say for at least the last 2 or 3 seasons he has been class.

Under rated by many but just look at how many CH's have come and gone but he is still here. Quality home grown player that we are lucky to have and I hope we keep for a long time yet...I reckon he would get a game for almost any side in the SPL quite easily.