PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs' best signing?

Johnny_Leith
28-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Very tough one - I'm inclined to vote for Scott Allan as he's a very good player but I think Fontaine has added to much to the team and Oxley is producing some solid form. Malonga is also a good shout for all his goals and, early days, Dja Djedje looks a decent player.

Certainly Stubbs' transfer policy has been a vast improvement on recent seasons.

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Voted Dja Djedje as I think he'll turn out to be his best signing.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 08:54 PM
McGeouch for me, fantastic player.

Closely followed by Allan and Gray.

He's made some very good signings this season.

ElginHibbie
28-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Gotta be Gray for me. Allan is our best player when he is on song but Gray has just been a more consistent player in a position we have had struggled with the most in recent years

frazeHFC
28-02-2015, 08:56 PM
I voted Allan. His signings have been absolutely brilliant, Gray/Malonga/Fyvie/McGeough/Watson loads of players that would be worthy of this vote.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Think it's Mathie's recruitment policy. :-)
It's working anyway.
And it's Allan. At last we have a midfielder not afraid to play the ball forward, not afraid to fail. It wasn't until he got fit that we started to click this season.

Stevie Reid
28-02-2015, 08:59 PM
The great thing is that there are so many to choose from. Given that he was signed outwith the transfer window to replace Al Agui and has since scored more goals than we could probably hope Farid would score, I'd go for Malonga.

That said, an on form Scott Allan is the best player I've seen at ER for many years. David Gray, Fontaine, and McGeough have been revelations as well. Oxley has been as solid a goalkeeper as we could have hoped to sign also.

I might as well list them all!

Alfred E Newman
28-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Allan is the best footballer we've seen at Easter Road for a long time but right back has been our problem position for years and Stubbs has hit the jackpot with David Gray.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Gray.

IberianHibernian
28-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Have voted Gray since it`s too soon to say how much of a contribution forwards will make . Would have voted for McGeoch if he wasn`t only at ER till end of the season . Hard to decide without knowing price too . Fact it`s hard to decide shows there have been some good signings though I`m not one of the many here who seem to write off 90% of the signings made by our recent managers - we were playing in a higher division and I can understand why most of the signings were made .

Hiber-nation
28-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Voted Dja Djedje as I think he'll turn out to be his best signing.

Really? I haven't seen much from him so far but there's plenty time.

Hard choice but I voted for Fontaine but only just from Allan then Gray and McGeouch.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2015, 09:07 PM
On consistency its Gray by a million miles.

Allan is the type of player that can take us up a level though. Our upturn coincided with him getting fit and starting to perform.

Mikey
28-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Think it's Mathie's recruitment policy. :-)
It's working anyway.
And it's Allan. At last we have a midfielder not afraid to play the ball forward, not afraid to fail. It wasn't until he got fit that we started to click this season.

Yep. Obviously Stubbs is a major part of the process but AM is the one who brings them to his attention.

Have you had the chance to listen to him yet? I'm pretty sure he's doing a presentation at the next WT meeting and the last time I checked anyone could pitch up just to hear his bit and leave again.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Yep. Obviously Stubbs is a major part of the process but AM is the one who brings them to his attention.

Have you had the chance to listen to him yet? I'm pretty sure he's doing a presentation at the next WT meeting and the last time I checked anyone could pitch up just to hear his bit and leave again.

Gray was on our radar prior to the current management team being in place

Mikey
28-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Gray was on our radar prior to the current management team being in place

Purely based on the fact that he can kick a ball 80 yards :hilarious

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Purely based on the fact that he can kick a ball 80 yards :hilarious

Possibly, but he was rumoured to be joining us last season

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Really? I haven't seen much from him so far but there's plenty time.

Hard choice but I voted for Fontaine but only just from Allan then Gray and McGeouch.

I think his movement is excellent and he has a good leap on him which will only get better as he gets more fit and plays more games. Really good at controlling balls in the air too - I like him a lot.

edwards
28-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Being an ex defender I gave my vote to Gray as he was one of Stubbs best signings and feel he has been outstanding.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I think his movement is excellent and he has a good leap on him which will only get better as he gets more fit and plays more games. Really good at controlling balls in the air too - I like him a lot.

Who?

SteveHFC
28-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Fontaine is tremendous

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Who?

Dja Djedje - there's been a couple of times a ball has come to chest with his back to goal - he controls the ball on his chest and in the time for it to fall he's turned and brings the ball to ground with his chest again if he has the space to do so - if not he holds it up. Little clever bits of play that I've enjoyed from him and I can only see him improving.

Michael
28-02-2015, 09:58 PM
David Gray. Fantastic footballer. He's really valuable to us too because he's one of the few proper leaders in our team.

sh00byd00
28-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Well, he didn't sign himself, but Stubbs himself. We finally have a manager that knows his arse from his elbow. Aye, we didn't hit the ground running, but we came off a really ***** mid-end season last year and many a manager would have struggled to get the team performing straight off the bat.

Elephant Stone
28-02-2015, 10:10 PM
David Gray. Fantastic footballer. He's really valuable to us too because he's one of the few proper leaders in our team.

Agreed, I hope he's gonna stick around. The kind of person you'd build a team around.

It's so hard to pick one stand out, though. Stubbs' signings have been absolutely first class.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Well, he didn't sign himself, but Stubbs himself. We finally have a manager that knows his arse from his elbow. Aye, we didn't hit the ground running, but we came off a really ***** mid-end season last year and many a manager would have struggled to get the team performing straight off the bat.

I wonder who gets the credit for that? Rod (the interferer) or LD. Was the real catalyst for change Brian Houston - did he not undertake a strategic review?

in getting a feeling we're just on the cusp of realising some of the potential of EM.

hibees 7062
28-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Gotta be Gray for me. Allan is our best player when he is on song but Gray has just been a more consistent player in a position we have had struggled with the most in recent years

This :agree:

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Liam Fontaine and David Gray. Both captains and leaders and both giving confidence to those around them.

Best footballer? Dylan mcgeouch

bigstu
28-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Allan by a mile

Pedantic_Hibee
01-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Fontaine or Gray. Or Allan. Actually, Malonga too. And McGeough as well.

I think, what I'm trying to say is, I love Alan Stubbs.

Danderhall Hibs
01-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Fontaine or Gray. Or Allan. Actually, Malonga too. And McGeough as well.

I think, what I'm trying to say is, I love Alan Stubbs.

:agree: Gray, Fontaine and McGeough for consistent performances - always a 7 or 8 out of 10 from them.

Allan for the moments when he turns it on.

Don't think he's a made a bad signing yet.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 05:43 AM
:agree: Gray, Fontaine and McGeough for consistent performances - always a 7 or 8 out of 10 from them.

Sinclair from Southampton didn't seem to be up to much. Never got much of a chance though.

hibsfan7
01-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Scott Allan

allezsauzee
01-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Allan by a mile

This

One Day
01-03-2015, 09:47 AM
I went for Gray

Big_Franck
01-03-2015, 09:52 AM
David Gray by a distance for me. Not only have his performances been terrific but he's also been a great leader.

On his day Scott Allan is our best player but IMO he has had a good few games where he has been poor and constantly gave away cheap possession.

In contrast ive not seen David Gray have a poor game for us. I think we're lucky to have them both though.

WillowbraeHibby
01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
David Gray for me. Just gives his all, and is a leader on the park.

Jack Hackett
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Not going to vote (can't on my phone anyway) as they're all good and have vastly improved the team as a unit. As stated by an earlier poster, Alan Stubbs has been the critical signing... Large dollops of Man Love from me :greengrin

Just take the question mark out of the thread title

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Voted for David Gray because of his ability to play well almost every week without fail.

All of Stubbs signings have done well, though for me I want to see more of Malonga, Dja Djedje, Boyle and El Alagui before I make my mind up about them. They have all been decent, but I haven't seen any one of them have a stand out game with the possible exception of El Alagui in the first league game at Ibrox. As for Oxley, he is a decent keeper, but far from irreplaceable IMO.

Allan, McGeough, and Fontaine have all been excellent and Fyvie looks like he will be a good signings.

Talking of Fontaine, he has strolled through most of the games I have seen him in, but it will be interesting to see how he does when he comes up against the Yams latest Nade style big fat bassa.

hfc rd
01-03-2015, 01:04 PM
I've been really impressed with all the players that Stubbs has signed.

If I was to choose one, it's got to be David Gray. He's been fantastic in a position that has been a major problem for us since Steven Whittaker left in 07. I'd even give him the captains armband on a permanent basis.

Ronniekirk
01-03-2015, 01:06 PM
David Gray for me. Just gives his all, and is a leader on the park.
This for me and hence voted for gray

Jack Hackett
01-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I can see the poll now....and what a quality list it is. Totally transformed Hibernian FC :thumbsup:

Lee Marvin
01-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I can see the poll now....and what a quality list it is. Totally transformed Hibernian FC :thumbsup:

This list is the 2nd most impressive twelve months of purchases in my lifetime - ironically just behind the last time we were in this division.

Immense from Stubbs, Leanne, Craig and the team.

leggeto
01-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Can't vote on phone but Allan for me just ahead of grey

Stax
01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Voted Allan but couldn't argue against a few of those players. Real quality in the squad now.

Ricky Bobby
01-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Voted Fontain because it was our biggest problem area. Allan and Gray also been very good.

MSK
01-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Voted Fontain because it was our biggest problem area. Allan and Gray also been very good.Same for me ..all his signings though have different qualities that they bring to the team but Fontaine has made a big, much needed difference to the defence ..:agree:

Eyrie
01-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Looking at the list, Stubbs has quietly brought in almost a full team (no need for a LB).

Oxley
Gray ... Watson ... Fontaine ... LB
Allan ... Fyvie ... McGeouch
Dja Djedje ... Malonga ... Boyle

With Cerny and El Alagui on the bench.

Glory Lurker
01-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Not voting - too difficult to choose!

:gwa:

murray26
01-03-2015, 07:14 PM
All very good signings but Allen has given us that wee bit of Hollywood we've no seen since latapy .. Don't think he'll stay for long though unfortunately.. Couldn't vote due to posting on my phone.

Whalemeister
01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Gray just shaded it for me. Very impressed with the signings. Watching the substitutes warm up before the game yesterday just goes to show the strength in depth we now have. Well done Stubbs.

Mibbes Aye
01-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Voted McGeouch. I think that what he brings to the team would be hardest to replace.

I could make or accept an argument for Allan, Fontaine and Gray as well though.

There's every possibility that Fyvie and Farid could join that list, potentially Djedje too, with Watson and Malonga as outsiders. An while Oxley continues to do a job we will have to wonder about Cerny.

It's great that we are able to have such a long list of players to debate about. Compounded by how players Stubbs inherited are showing great form - Lewis, Cummings, Robertson.

marleyhib
01-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Voted Scott Allen as I'd pay to watch him play very week, I think McGeough is a class act too but he's only on loan :-)

California-Hibs
02-03-2015, 01:15 AM

He hasn't! This is what I think is key.

Weststandwanab
02-03-2015, 08:20 AM
I voted for Scott Allan a player that gets me out of my seat but I really think our best signing has been Stubbs himself.

Enjoy his whilst he is here.

rosco-hibee
02-03-2015, 10:26 AM
I voted Gray for this one. He gets stuck in, tracks back, good in the air, calm on the ball, and is clearly provides a positive influence - especially during those tricky ties in rubbish conditions.

Hibs have needed a player like Gray for a long long time.

Allan, Fontaine and McGeouch are the other obvious candidates.

Genuinely excited to have Fyvie in the team as well, he has a touch of class about him as well.

IMO the jury is still out on Malonga, and I found watching Dje Dje to be a frustrating experience. Could they do it on a cold rainy night in Alloa? Sadly, no.

:gwa:

jacomo
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
I voted Scott Allan, despite his inconsistencies, as he is exactly the kind of player we have been crying out for - skilled, brave and always looking to make things happen.

Malonga deserves a shout too IMO, as goal scorers like him are hard to find. He also makes things happen.

Hibby Gav
02-03-2015, 03:45 PM
David Gray for me...AS first signing and it sorts out a position we have struggle with for years...as well as being a potential captain

ggtth

flash
02-03-2015, 03:53 PM
Torn between two or three which is an answer in itself. have a wee feeling that Fyvie could top the lot if we can hold on to him.

we are hibs
02-03-2015, 06:36 PM
FONTAINE has been outstanding and his positioning is excellent.

Scouse Hibee
02-03-2015, 07:00 PM
His best signing is that of his own contract in my opinion.

bigwheel
02-03-2015, 10:53 PM
The signing I hope he makes next is Dylan on a three year deal....top notch plater....

The_Exile
02-03-2015, 10:58 PM
TBH, you could pick either Gray, Allan or McGeouch and nobody could possibly disagree, all 3 have been fantastic yet equally important to the way the team is ticking over. I voted for Gray purely because a good defensive performance for me is far more impressive and arguably more important than a good offensive performance. Completely personal preference.

silverhibee
02-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Stubbs' best signing?

Himself. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Stubbs' best signing?

Himself. :greengrin

Too late! See my post :-)

Weststandwanab
03-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Too late! See my post :-)

I think you will find post 54 called it first.

Stranraer
03-03-2015, 07:08 PM
David Gray for me, he has worked tirelessly since day one but I'm pretty impressed with all of Stubbs' signings... certainly better than Kuqi :wink:

matty_f
04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I voted for David Gray, though it really could have been any number of players from that list.

I don't think we've had a manager with a success rate of signings like that since Mowbray, with practically every player that has joined the club being an improvement on what we had previously.

Considering where we are in Scottish football right now, to assemble that team practically from scratch is some going, and the size of the job required to do that can't really be overstated.

Ideally, with a proper and considered recruitment strategy at the club now, we should continue to sign at or above this standard every time we recruit, which is a great thought.

The other astonishing thing about that list is the goalscorers that Stubbs has signed. El Alagui was a cracking signing and would be up amongst the top scorers in the league if it wasn't for his injury. To lose that quality, and bring in someone else in Malonga that is in amongst the top goalscorers, and Dja Djedje has hit the ground running with goals, is exceptional.