PDA

View Full Version : Mark Oxley - Credit where credit is due

Libby Hibby
28-02-2015, 06:56 PM
5 clean sheets out of his last 7 games.

3 clean sheets in a row.

I criticised him early on this season for being a keeper who doesn't necessary make mistakes but doesn't save to much but the stats above deserve some recognition to him and the defense as a whole.

Well done all and let's keep this run going.

CallumLaidlaw
28-02-2015, 07:04 PM
He dealt well with the conditions today. Good punches from crosses and one particular save low down in the corner. Didn't look much but it properly spun off that shoddy AstroTurf and he pushed it away to safety.

andrew70
28-02-2015, 07:05 PM
5 clean sheets out of his last 7 games.

3 clean sheets in a row.

I criticised him early on this season for being a keeper who doesn't necessary make mistakes but doesn't save to much but the stats above deserve some recognition to him and the defense as a whole.

Well done all and let's keep this run going.

He's a decent keeper IMO. A young one though, who will make mistakes but that's all part of the learning curve.

It's a team effort and I have to say I am impressed of late. Resolute as well as entertaining.

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Integral part of a successful team, deserves credit for that.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 07:16 PM
A lot of folk were for hunting him a few weeks ago after a draw against someone.

Football fans fickle? Never!

matty_f
28-02-2015, 07:18 PM
A lot of folk were for hunting him a few weeks ago after a draw against someone.

Football fans fickle? Never!

It was the Falkirk game. To be fair, at the game he looked very suspect but when you saw the replays there wasn't much he was at fault for.

He's a good keeper, IMHO.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Amazing what a bit of competition for your place can do.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 07:20 PM
It was the Falkirk game. To be fair, at the game he looked very suspect but when you saw the replays there wasn't much he was at fault for.

He's a good keeper, IMHO.

Think it was the Raith game, where we lost a last minute goal against them from a corner.
Thought his decision making was good today

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 07:22 PM

I don't agree with that, Oz.

He hasn't suddenly improved. He's been good all along.

Stubbs work in the transfer market has been exceptional.

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2015, 07:25 PM

He's been pretty consistent throughout, perception of him has changed because of good run but he's never really let us down.

Seveno
28-02-2015, 07:30 PM
The fact that he has had so little to do means to me that that back four plus Scott Robertson deserve the real credit for the clean sheets.

Andy74
28-02-2015, 07:31 PM

It's made no difference. He's done well since he arrived.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-02-2015, 07:32 PM
I don't agree with that, Oz.

He hasn't suddenly improved. He's been good all along.

Stubbs work in the transfer market has been exceptional.

Yup. Last sentence in particular.

bingo70
28-02-2015, 07:34 PM
I've been critical of him in the past but you can't argue with stats like that.

I'm not sure if he's improved or I was wrong but it doesn't really matter. Hopefully this form continues.

Jonnyboy
28-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Thought his decision to punch on occasion today was the correct call in the conditions. Some bloke in front of me screamed at him "Catch the effin ball Oxley, you're a goalkeeper" proving that he disagrees with my assessment :greengrin

Capt Mainwaring
28-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Thought his decision to punch on occasion today was the correct call in the conditions. Some bloke in front of me screamed at him "Catch the effin ball Oxley, you're a goalkeeper" proving that he disagrees with my assessment :greengrin

Spot on. The right call was to punch as he came through a ruck of players. With torrential rain and wind at the time an attempt to catch was a far riskier option

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 09:51 PM
To be honest we could have had Mavis Riley in goals this season and she would have had a significant number of clean sheets.......

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 09:53 PM
To be honest we could have had Mavis Riley in goals this season and she would have had a significant number of clean sheets.......

They only had one shot on target according to BBC stats

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Yep, the mark of a good keeper is that he does everything with the minimum of fuss and mistakes, in fact I'd be delighted to avoid the previous highs and lows we have had and emerge with yet another clean sheet and not have the keeper as the clown of the match - or man of the match until he really has to be. Oxley is a very good keeper on current showings.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:33 PM

Or Mike Riley? :offski:

Dashing Bob S
28-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Never a goalkeeper. Interesting that at the very start of the season, he was our top scorer, despite playing in a deep position. I'd give him a chance further up.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Never a goalkeeper. Interesting that at the very start of the season, he was our top scorer, despite playing in a deep position. I'd give him a chance further up.

Could he fill the big Gaz role?

truehibernian
28-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Good keeper but mindful of a few things......one the league we are in and more importantly, we now have a manager who recognises you need pace, creativity and a bit of guile.......Ben Williams would not have had a lot to do in this league with the same players in front of him, but was a good keeper for Hibs for two seasons.....sadly Fenlon with his signings and tactics meant Ben was busier than most keepers home and away. As every game goes by and I actually resent PF more and more from a football point of view - I think Pat had more to do with our demise that Butcher last year if honest.

I do like Cerny though.......think he could be our keeper next season regardless and I would be happy with that :aok: But Oxley has not let anyone down at all this season, fantastic effort :thumbsup:

Liberal Hibby
28-02-2015, 11:39 PM
.sadly Fenlon with his signings and tactics meant Ben was busier than most keepers home and away. As every game goes by and I actually resent PF more and more from a football point of view - I think Pat had more to do with our demise that Butcher last year if honest.
:

That would be the Pat Fenlon who had us in fifth place when he resigned? Aye right.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 11:48 PM
That would be the Pat Fenlon who had us in fifth place when he resigned? Aye right.
I thought the final straw for Ben was his experiences with the goalkeeper coaching regime under butcher, or am I wrong?

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 12:30 AM
I thought the final straw for Ben was his experiences with the goalkeeper coaching regime under butcher, or am I wrong?

Dunno - but if it was the regime under Butcher that was the final straw he wouldn't be alone.

But the idea that it was Pat Fenlon that got us relegated is utter lockslob.

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 12:31 AM

Yep.....the same Pat who was in the pub regularly with Liam, couldn't sign pace and sadly saddled us with Rowan Vine as a 'main striker' on a huge wage :aok: yep, that's tha chap :agree:

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 12:35 AM

No, you're right.......during the warm up for the 1-2 defeat, Ben was raging (in dressing room), as was Sean (out with Grant on pitch), that fat mess was not warming them up yet........Bobo Grant was sent in to see where he was.......all the while, Hearts were doing their regime :aok:

Still, Pat signed loads of duds.....and got off scot free with the criticism......Butcher deserved it plenty, so did Pat - he was useless :agree:

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Yep.....the same Pat who was in the pub regularly with Liam, couldn't sign pace and sadly saddled us with Rowan Vine as a 'main striker' on a huge wage :aok: yep, that's tha chap :agree:

Vine was signed as the 'main striker' - I suspect that would be news to both him and Fenlon. And you have intimate knowledge of his 'huge wage'?

And of course as soon as Vine was dropped by Butcher we became a free scoring team full of confidence and the fact that we were in fifth place under Fenlon (and two cup finals) was purely fluke.

Get a grip!

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 12:54 AM
No, you're right.......during the warm up for the 1-2 defeat, Ben was raging (in dressing room), as was Sean (out with Grant on pitch), that fat mess was not warming them up yet........Bobo Grant was sent in to see where he was.......all the while, Hearts were doing their regime :aok:

Still, Pat signed loads of duds.....and got off scot free with the criticism......Butcher deserved it plenty, so did Pat - he was useless :agree:

I have absolutely no idea what your first paragraph is about.

Pat also signed Griffiths, Williams, Robertson, Craig, Taiwo, Claros as well as extending contracts/promoting from the U21s Stevenson/Hanlon/Forster and probably loads of others I can't remember this late at night with a few glasses of red.

I'd accept Fenlon got to the stage when he became too cautious and played safety first football - but he was not useless - he had us comfortably mid table in the SPL and noone serously thought we'd go down when he resigned (not pushed).

Butcher turned decent players into shell shocked losers. Stubbs has turned those that remained from Fenlon into better players than under Fenlon. That makes Stubbs a potentially a great manager and Fenlon not a bad one - but it makes Butcher an absolute arseing ****ing cock of the highest order.

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Vine was signed as the 'main striker' - I suspect that would be news to both him and Fenlon. And you have intimate knowledge of his 'huge wage'?

And of course as soon as Vine was dropped by Butcher we became a free scoring team full of confidence and the fact that we were in fifth place under Fenlon (and two cup finals) was purely fluke.

Get a grip!

Relax......shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 01:05 AM
I have absolutely no idea what your first paragraph is about.

Pat also signed Griffiths, Williams, Robertson, Craig, Taiwo, Claros as well as extending contracts/promoting from the U21s Stevenson/Hanlon/Forster and probably loads of others I can't remember this late at night with a few glasses of red.

I'd accept Fenlon got to the stage when he became too cautious and played safety first football - but he was not useless - he had us comfortably mid table in the SPL and noone serously thought we'd go down when he resigned (not pushed).

Butcher turned decent players into shell shocked losers. Stubbs has turned those that remained from Fenlon into better players than under Fenlon. That makes Stubbs a potentially a great manager and Fenlon not a bad one - but it makes Butcher an absolute arseing ****ing cock of the highest order.

Griffiths - not a PF signing

Williams - agreed, good signing

Robertson - seeing the fruits under Stubbs, not PF or TB

Taiwo - I rated him, however PF liked Deegan and others better......Butcher didn't give him a chance really

Claros - jury was out for me, offered little going forward and I want my mids going forward and scoring goals !

With the money, none of Pat's signings inspired......none made us all sit up........5th........we would have ended up exactly where we ended up..........Fenlon, Butcher.......the football was industrial and crap......

Good argument though :aok::cb

Hibeesmad
01-03-2015, 01:10 AM
The introduction of Tomas Cerny has also made Oxley aware of the competition now which would have given him a boost, all he needs now is a clean sheet against Hearts

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 01:11 AM

Unlike yours...

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 01:17 AM
Unlike yours...

Nah......comfortable with mine......Pat Fenlon and Pat 'Terry' Butcher were awful for Hibs......Pat started the absolute rot :aok:

truehibernian
01-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Roy O'Donovan - Indonesian League

Tom Soares - League 2, Bury

Gary Deegan - League 2

Ben Williams - League 1

Matt Doherty - attitude sucks

Fair to say Stubbs knows a player.......

And yes, it repulsed me knowing what RV was on :rolleyes:
t
Gray, Fontaine, Allan, McGeouch, Fyvie, El Alguie, Malonga, Dje Dje, Boyle, Watson.........deary deary me......and you question Pat and 5th :greengrin

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 01:40 AM
Pat started the absolute rot :aok:

Really? Care to provide any evidence? He took over a post Caldwell shambles - won the big relegation deciders and kept us up and got us to a cup final (less said about it the better). Next season he went undefeated by Hearts and got us to another cup final. And the next despite being destroyed by Malmo in essentially the preseason (with non-forwards like Rowan Vine as the only option) he restored confidence to get us to mid table mediocrity.

The idea that Fenlon started the rot is laughable - he was fixing it (albeit slowly and nowhere as effectively as Stubbs and Dempster).

We would be in a better position now if we hadn't been relegated - and that would not have happened without Butcher.

I'm hopeful we'll be back in the top division where Fenlon left us next season - but it is no means certain. That is the result of Butcher's disasterous tenure - and the culmination of the cheerleading by fans who expect to chop and change manager every year in search of better results.

The_Sauz
01-03-2015, 02:50 AM
Griffiths - not a PF signing

Williams - agreed, good signing

Robertson - seeing the fruits under Stubbs, not PF or TB

Taiwo - I rated him, however PF liked Deegan and others better......Butcher didn't give him a chance really

Claros - jury was out for me, offered little going forward and I want my mids going forward and scoring goals !

With the money, none of Pat's signings inspired......none made us all sit up........5th........we would have ended up exactly where we ended up..........Fenlon, Butcher.......the football was industrial and crap......

Who signed him:confused:

Forza Fred
01-03-2015, 03:33 AM

Several years ago when hosting a fitba radio show in Oz, I interviewed a coach who has since coached in Oz, Asia and I think is now coaching in the burgeoning Indian PL which most readers are probably unaware of.

But I digress, at the time of the discussion he was travelling the world and was lucky enough to gain access to a week at AC Milan.

He told me that they actually Coached their goalies to PUNCH the ball rather than actually catch it.

When on air I expressed surprise, he said he did too at the time, but was told by the head goalkeeper coach words to the effect of "it is the goalkeepers job simply to stop goals going in, it is the field players job to stop them getting shots in "

Not saying I necessarily agree with the simplicity, but again not disagreeing with it.

Sometimes a punch is the appropriate way to deal with danger

PeterboroHibee
01-03-2015, 06:34 AM
The fact that he has had so little to do means to me that that back four plus Scott Robertson deserve the real credit for the clean sheets.

Spot on. I like Oxley, but if he has little to do every week the team must be doing something right. A lot of fans in general like seeing a keeper make great saves, but Id rather they werent put in that position. The back 5 (or 6 if you include Robertson) seem to be playing as a unit and have a good understanding with each other, which is so important.

Big_Franck
01-03-2015, 06:36 AM
Who signed him:confused:

Think it was Calderwood that signed him. Fenlon then extended the loan a couple of times.

Northernhibee
01-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Best kept hair for a Hibs goalie in ages.

ozwoody
01-03-2015, 06:45 AM
Several years ago when hosting a fitba radio show in Oz, I interviewed a coach who has since coached in Oz, Asia and I think is now coaching in the burgeoning Indian PL which most readers are probably unaware of.

But I digress, at the time of the discussion he was travelling the world and was lucky enough to gain access to a week at AC Milan.

He told me that they actually Coached their goalies to PUNCH the ball rather than actually catch it.

When on air I expressed surprise, he said he did too at the time, but was told by the head goalkeeper coach words to the effect of "it is the goalkeepers job simply to stop goals going in, it is the field players job to stop them getting shots in "

Not saying I necessarily agree with the simplicity, but again not disagreeing with it.

Sometimes a punch is the appropriate way to deal with danger

Correct forza,and its being taught by most associations now,including FFA.If the keeper can get a clean punch on it,it can then set up a quick transition from defence into attack,rationale being there would be overload of midfielders,elite keepers in our own association (no matter age) are spending time doing one and two handed punches to start attacking quickly.

lucky
01-03-2015, 07:06 AM
I don't rate Oxley and I'm hoping that Hibs sign someone better for next season. He's been at fault for so many goals this season he's just not good enough

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 07:17 AM
I don't rate Oxley and I'm hoping that Hibs sign someone better for next season. He's been at fault for so many goals this season he's just not good enough

We've conceded the third least goals in the UK after Hearts and Chelsea, only 23, although I know we've played less games than most of the English clubs. Oxley has to get some credit for that.

Which of those goals was he at fault for?

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Nah......comfortable with mine......Pat Fenlon and Pat 'Terry' Butcher were awful for Hibs......Pat started the absolute rot :aok:

The downturn started when Mowbray left and Collins was appointed. I remember starting a thread entitled "What's happened to our team" a few months into Collins' reign.

It continued under Mixu and Yogi, but the absolute rot started with Calderwood. No question about that. His win percentage was 24.49.

Fenlon brought that up to 35.63 and Butcher took us back down to a horrific 20.69.

That's the worst performance by a Hibs manager apart, unfortunately, from Franck Sauzee who achieved only 6.67%! Even Jim Duffy managed a staggering 20.83%.

Fenlon's win ratio was better than Mixu's and Yogi's too.

Interestingly, Stubbs is currently at 54.84%. Only Jock Stein with 62% and Dan McMichael (1900 - 03) with 58% can top that, unless you count Gareth Evans who sits proudly on 100% after guiding us to a famous 2 - 1 win over Killie at Easter Road. Chris Hogg scored both goals, cracking headers iirc.

We had a few caretaker managers with 0%, but our biggest duffer has to be Tommy Craig. He had 2 goes at managing Hibs, both times he had 4 games in charge and he's yet to pick up a win.

Of course, these figures could all be skewed if draws were entered into the equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hibernian_F.C._managers

bingo70
01-03-2015, 07:47 AM
We've conceded the third least goals in the UK after Hearts and Chelsea, only 23, although I know we've played less games than most of the English clubs. Oxley has to get some credit for that.

Which of those goals was he at fault for?

Are we including the Welsh clubs in those stats?

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Are we including the Welsh clubs in those stats?

No. That was very remiss of me, sorry. :embarrass

I'll have a look.

Edit. It looks like there are 6 Welsh teams with better goals against records. Mind you, if Hearts can claim to be the only unbeaten team in Europe while Barry Town also were, and still are, I don't see any reason I should allow them to ruin my argument! :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2015, 07:56 AM

Strange I can't remember them, care to remind me of some of these many goals?

bingo70
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Strange I can't remember them, care to remind me of some of these many goals?

Raith and alloa are the obvious ones.

I think there have been question marks raised about his role in the falkirk game, I think that's a bit harsh though. People seem to think any ball in the box should be a keepers ball, I'd disagree with that though.

There have been goals conceded against rangers and hearts I'm not convinced he got his positioning right so it looked like he had no chance, imo they were saveable though.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 08:43 AM

I think there have been question marks raised about his role in the falkirk game, I think that's a bit harsh though. People seem to think any ball in the box should be a keepers ball, I'd disagree with that though.

There have been goals conceded against rangers and hearts I'm not convinced he got his positioning right so it looked like he had no chance, imo they were saveable though.

I don't see how he was at fault for the goal against Raith. The corner came into a crowded penalty box, Oxley was hampered by a Rovers player and our defence failed to make a decent challenge on Nade.

9 minutes - http://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=309

The press blamed our forwards for missing too many chances that day, not Oxley.

I wasn't at the Alloa game when we lost and I haven't seen their first goal so I can't comment on that, but reports suggest Oxley initially made a good save before the rebound was knocked in.

He certainly had no chance with the winner.

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2015, 08:48 AM

Nope I don't recall blaming him for Raith goal, never saw the Alloa goal so can't comment.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Nope I don't recall blaming him for Raith goal, never saw the Alloa goal so can't comment.

I've just realised it was Alloa's goal in the cup which Bingo is referring to. It was a shocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7-4wUSICs

Scouse Hibee
01-03-2015, 08:53 AM
I've just realised it was Alloa's goal in the cup which Bingo is referring to. It was a shocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7-4wUSICs

Ah yes! I have to concede that one. :greengrin

bingo70
01-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Raith away.

I only saw it on the highlights but he was beaten at his near post from a shot that didn't look overly powerful.

I was surprised he never received more criticism for it, especially on here.

Radge is right, the alloa game I'm meaning is the cup game, sorry, should have specified.

Hibbyradge
01-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Raith away.

I only saw it on the highlights but he was beaten at his near post from a shot that didn't look overly powerful.

I was surprised he never received more criticism for it, especially on here.

http://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=295 From 3 mins in.

Hard to tell from that angle. It was a good break by Rovers and the boy was in the box and able to get his shot away easily. It looks a pretty powerful strike to me, btw.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 09:36 AM
http://www.raithrovers.net/raithtv?vid=295 From 3 mins in.

Hard to tell from that angle. It was a good break by Rovers and the boy was in the box and able to get his shot away easily. It looks a pretty powerful strike to me, btw.

If the keeper gets his angles right there I don't think he scores.

Should point out as a goalie in my youth I was Edina hibs most improved player at under 12 level around 20 years ago so I consider myself something of an expert in this area ;-)

bigwheel
01-03-2015, 09:41 AM
If the keeper gets his angles right there I don't think he scores.

Should point out as a goalie in my youth I was Edina hibs most improved player at under 12 level around 20 years ago so I consider myself something of an expert in this area ;-)

He will have been disappointed with that one...but to be fair to him, there have been very few of these this season - every keep will have a few they didn't get right...

For me, after a slow start, he seems to be getting better and more consistent...good communication too.

Probably the worst penalty saver I've seen though - Dundee United cup tie :)

bingo70
01-03-2015, 09:50 AM
He will have been disappointed with that one...but to be fair to him, there have been very few of these this season - every keep will have a few they didn't get right...

For me, after a slow start, he seems to be getting better and more consistent...good communication too.

Probably the worst penalty saver I've seen though - Dundee United cup tie :)

Agree with that.

I feel pretty confident with him and think he's pretty steady without being flash.

I don't think he's the most mobile so that's probably why he struggles with penalties.

I wouldn't have any objections to him staying but I doubt if he'll ever move onto anything bigger or better.

Seveno
01-03-2015, 10:33 PM
To me, he fails to hold on to the ball too often. Sometimes saves the shot but someone scores with the rebound.

Leithenhibby
02-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Agree with that.

I feel pretty confident with him and think he's pretty steady without being flash.

I don't think he's the most mobile so that's probably why he struggles with penalties.

I wouldn't have any objections to him staying but I doubt if he'll ever move onto anything bigger or better.

He is only 24, and there aren't many keepers his age excelling that I can see. He'll mature into a fine keeper IMO :wink:

Hibbyradge
02-03-2015, 08:18 AM
To me, he fails to hold on to the ball too often. Sometimes saves the shot but someone scores with the rebound.

That's interesting.

Can you point out a few examples?

Smartie
02-03-2015, 08:29 AM
He's been at his best in the big games too.

Apart from possibly the Hearts goal at home (which was a wonderstrike that he could do nowt about imo) he couldn't be blamed for any of the goals in these games. He's made a few smart stops and dominated his area when we've been under pressure.

Far and away the best distribution I've seen from a Hibs goalkeeper too. I like him, he's not perfect but he wouldn't be here if he was. There are some dodgy keepers around these days too.

CallumLaidlaw
02-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I agree that he is solid. He doesnt make any/many silly mistakes like we have seen in the past, but then he doesnt make many "outstanding" saves - but then I suppose there has been so few shots for him to save thats a hard one to judge.

In big games, hes risen to the occasion - Rangers particularly, when under pressure, he came and won every ball into the box. His decision making is pretty good - he rightly chose to come and punch a few crosses on Saturday - in those conditions it was the right thing to do.

I remember being raging that he didnt come out for a goal in the 3-3 Falkirk game, but when I saw it back on tv, it was too far out for him to come for.

I have seen some people in some forums/FB groups saying he shouldve saved Ozturks & Walkers goals in the derbies. These people are obviously just looking for someone to blame.

I do think having Cerny there will help Mark.

As an aside note - we were early enough on Saturday to see Alan Combe take the goalies through their full drill on saturday and it was really good to watch, working on their speed and reflexes.