PDA

View Full Version : NHC Pyramid Play-offs Watch

theonlywayisup
28-02-2015, 06:20 PM
For the first time, there will be a play-off between the Highland and Lowland league winners, followed by the winner playing the team that finishes 10th in the 2nd division. Should be interesting and might bring some well needed new blood into the league.

Currently, Edinburgh City are running away with the Lowland league. They have won their last 11 league games and are 11 points ahead of Gretna 2008 having played 3 games less. They will be Lowland League champs.

Currently, Brora Rangers have a 5 point lead over Turriff United having won 14 and drawn 2 of their last 16 games. Turriff United have been equally impressive having won 18 and drawn two of their last 20 games. Brora Rangers have already beaten Turriff United 8-0 in the league in their fist league match this season.:cool2:

The winner of the match between the Lowland and Highland League winners will play the team who finishes bottom of the 2nd division. That team is currently Montrose who are 5 points adrift of East Stirling, having played two games more.

I would think it is bye-bye Montrose and hello Brora Rangers or Edinburgh City. Should be interesting!

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 06:43 PM
If they want to be in the 2nd division. The travelling for both teams will be horrendous at this level.
I agree with the opportunity, not sure the geography/population of Scotland, necessary lends itself to this

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Great information, thanks.

I'll be keeping an eye on this from now on.

Mon the City!

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2015, 06:47 PM
No sure that either of those two teams would be decent swaps for Montrose tbh.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 06:51 PM
No sure that either of those two teams would be decent swaps for Montrose tbh.

We need Regional leagues beneath League 1

ScottB
28-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Haven't Brora previously said they'd decline the opportunity to join the national leagues?

Hibby Bairn
28-02-2015, 07:45 PM
We need Regional leagues beneath League 1

I would say beneath Championship.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 07:50 PM
I can't see Brora Rangers accepting any invite to join the SPFL to be honest.

As things stand at the moment, their closest match next season would be against Elgin City, which is almost a 200 miles round trip.

Their costs would be enormous.

IberianHibernian
28-02-2015, 08:18 PM
If Montrose were to lose out where would they play next season ? Highland League presumably which would be pretty disastrous for them and would add to travel costs of Highland teams too . Need to regionalise from Div 1 .

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 08:20 PM

We've got a few full time clubs in Div 1. If we can increase the number of teams in Premier/Championship, I agree with this

O'Rourke3
28-02-2015, 08:53 PM
I actually drove past Brora's ground today. There's no way they could cope with a post admin The Rangers with those facilities.

Kaff
28-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Don't know the budgets but talk is that Brora outspend Elgin City by a long way at the moment, got a big sponsor who i think is oil related so of course under the current climate that might change. Think Grant Munro and Ross Tokely (ex ICT) gave up fulltime football as Brora were paying more.

theonlywayisup
28-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Haven't Brora previously said they'd decline the opportunity to join the national leagues?

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-league-two/284342-brora-rangers-to-let-fans-decide-over-potential-spfl-participation/

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Agree, it's a bit if a joke to have national leagues and all the travel they entail. Should be regional below our level.

About time there was demotion from the lower level. Excellence needs it's reward and we need innovation. League pyramid is well overdue.

Greencore
28-02-2015, 10:27 PM
So if Montrose drop and Brora Rangers win does the lowland league get an extra member?

Mikey09
28-02-2015, 10:40 PM
So if Montrose drop and Brora Rangers win does the lowland league get an extra member?

They dinnae even know themselves mate!! It's a farce!!

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 01:21 AM

The way it used to work in England with the Third Division North/South was that a club on the border would move between the two to make up the numbers depending who was promoted and relgated from above and below. Given that system worked for dozens of years I cant imagine it will take much to work out how to do it Scotland.

And also - transport is much better than it was even 30 years ago and a 200 mile round trip from Brora isn't particularly challenging these days.

Pete
01-03-2015, 01:36 AM
For the first time, there will be a play-off between the Highland and Lowland league winners, followed by the winner playing the team that finishes 10th in the 2nd division. Should be interesting and might bring some well needed new blood into the league.

Currently, Edinburgh City are running away with the Lowland league. They have won their last 11 league games and are 11 points ahead of Gretna 2008 having played 3 games less. They will be Lowland League champs.

Currently, Brora Rangers have a 5 point lead over Turriff United having won 14 and drawn 2 of their last 16 games. Turriff United have been equally impressive having won 18 and drawn two of their last 20 games. Brora Rangers have already beaten Turriff United 8-0 in the league in their fist league match this season.:cool2:

The winner of the match between the Lowland and Highland League winners will play the team who finishes bottom of the 2nd division. That team is currently Montrose who are 5 points adrift of East Stirling, having played two games more.

I would think it is bye-bye Montrose and hello Brora Rangers or Edinburgh City. Should be interesting!

Rather shamefully, I totally forgot about this and wasn't aware this was even happening.

It's about time we opened things up as there are some really progressive clubs who deserve a shot at league football.

theonlywayisup
30-03-2015, 09:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32120499

Billy Whizz
30-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Heard him on the radio tonight. Think they are waiting on some further info from the SPFL.
They are over an hour North of Inverness, so the cost for them and some other teams will be horrific, unless they receive financial support

Sir David Gray
30-03-2015, 09:27 PM

It's not very encouraging for the upcoming play offs!

He sounds like he's trying to convince himself, in that article, that being promoted to League Two would be a good thing!

offshorehibby
30-03-2015, 10:07 PM
This is why Scotland should relay be looking at 2 professional top divisions with 2 or 3 regionalied lower leagues.

Leith_Hibee
31-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Personally I think too much is made of the travel issues. I get highland leagues going down to dumfries midweek etc should be avoided but the regional set up in England still involves teams traveling a few hours to get to games, particularly in the South West where the infrastructure isn't great. The SFA currently help out with away travel costs for Scottish Cup ties, would be useful if this was extended to league games so that cost does not prohibit teams wanting to enter the league. With some sensible fixture scheduling (I know I'm placing too much trust in the powers that be) then I dont see how it cannot work.

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Should Hibs be concerned about the prospect of Edinburgh City being promoted. Potential loss of fans etc. :stirrer:

Waxy
31-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Should Hibs be concerned about the prospect of Edinburgh City being promoted. Potential loss of fans etc. :stirrer:
No

jacomo
31-03-2015, 11:30 AM
This is why Scotland should relay be looking at 2 professional top divisions with 2 or 3 regionalied lower leagues.

:agree:

Hermit Crab
31-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Just like Germany and Spain. :agree:

SteveHFC
31-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Easthouses could be playing in the lowland league next season :hyper

Since90+2
31-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Dunno what the odds will be when the meet but given that Brora have pretty much said they dont want promotion id be extremely surprised if they win the tie.

Thecat23
31-03-2015, 03:14 PM

Joking aside do you think failing to gain promotion will effect our crowds? I think we may lose another 1k watching the crap we play against.

danhibees1875
31-03-2015, 06:44 PM

Too many clubs in the top league system for a country our size. I'd take it down to at least 2 leagues of 16. Play each other twice, and expand the league cup to include a group stage.

eastterrace
31-03-2015, 06:48 PM

Too many clubs in the top league system for a country our size. I'd take it down to at least 2 leagues of 16. Play each other twice, and expand the league cup to include a group stage.

okay what clubs will we get rid off then , just tell their fans to move on and support someone else.

Billy Whizz
31-03-2015, 06:50 PM
okay what clubs will we get rid off then , just tell their fans to move on and support someone else.

They'd play in Regional leagues, which makes sense for part-time clubs

danhibees1875
31-03-2015, 06:52 PM
I'd start by getting rid of east fife, and you would tell the fans to support hibs of course! [emoji106]

Seriously though, they'd join the lower league regionalised system. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

eastterrace
31-03-2015, 06:55 PM
I'd start by getting rid of east fife, and you would tell the fans to support hibs of course! [emoji106]

Seriously though, they'd join the lower league regionalised system. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

now east fife thats a great idea, but i get what your saying.:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Joking aside do you think failing to gain promotion will effect our crowds? I think we may lose another 1k watching the crap we play against.

I'd imagine it might, it would really depend on how we start next season. A good run early on, a bit of distance between the challengers and the crowds would flock back.

No

Fine, it's just that some people saw Spartans as a babe that should be killed before they do damage to our support.

Thecat23
31-03-2015, 07:07 PM
I'd imagine it might, it would really depend on how we start next season. A good run early on, a bit of distance between the challengers and the crowds would flock back.

Fine, it's just that some people saw Spartans as a babe that should be killed before they do damage to our support.

Yeah maybe! Saying that we went on a good run this season and we are scraping just over 8k. With Hearts going up and if they start well you may get younger kids going there instead. Course that's just a possibility but shows how important getting up really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eyrie
31-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Sixteen teams is only 30 league games, and half the fun of the cup is the knockout format. Instead we should have two leagues of twenty, giving 38 games.

Top league would be Aberdeen, Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dundee, Dumbarton, Dundee United, Falkirk, Hamilton, Hearts, Hibernian, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell, Queen Of The South, Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Second tier would be Airdrie, Albion Rovers, Ayr United, Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Clyde, Dunfermline, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Forfar, Montrose, Morton, Peterhead, Queens Park, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion and Stranraer.

Problem solved.

nairn hibee
31-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Any club from Arbroath northwards would end up in the highland league if they lost the playoffs,it said in our local paper that brora had asked if they could refuse to take part in the playoffs but were told they had too .interesting to see how they are going to throw the games .

Hermit Crab
31-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Any club from Arbroath northwards would end up in the highland league if they lost the playoffs,it said in our local paper that brora had asked if they could refuse to take part in the playoffs but were told they had too .interesting to see how they are going to throw the games .

They can surely forfeit both games resulting in a 3-0 loss twice (6-0 on agg)? :confused: Leaving edinburgh City to take on Montrose assuming they are bottom.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Easthouses could be playing in the lowland league next season :hyper

I wouldn't think they are even close to being eligible to play in the Lowland League, despite some improvements made to their ground. Its still a significant distance from the required standard

easty
01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
Sixteen teams is only 30 league games, and half the fun of the cup is the knockout format. Instead we should have two leagues of twenty, giving 38 games.

Top league would be Aberdeen, Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dundee, Dumbarton, Dundee United, Falkirk, Hamilton, Hearts, Hibernian, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell, Queen Of The South, Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Second tier would be Airdrie, Albion Rovers, Ayr United, Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Brechin City, Clyde, Dunfermline, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Forfar, Montrose, Morton, Peterhead, Queens Park, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion and Stranraer.

Problem solved.

You'll never get the top teams to agree to a format where they get less games against the other big teams. Getting Celtc at home only once a season instead of twice, instead they get a home game vs Raith or Livvy, and wheres the money in that? That's the reason we won't get bigger leagues.

Eyrie
01-04-2015, 06:48 PM
You'll never get the top teams to agree to a format where they get less games against the other big teams. Getting Celtc at home only once a season instead of twice, instead they get a home game vs Raith or Livvy, and wheres the money in that? That's the reason we won't get bigger leagues.
OK, you've convinced me. Four leagues of ten it is.

Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Hamilton, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Falkirk, Hearts, Hibernian, Livingston, Queen Of The South, Raith Rovers and Ross County.

Airdrie, Ayr United, Brechin City, Dunfermline, Forfar, Morton, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion and Stranraer

Albion Rovers, Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Clyde, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Montrose and Queens Park.

CockneyRebel
01-04-2015, 08:01 PM
OK, you've convinced me. Four leagues of ten it is.

Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Hamilton, Inverness CT, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Partick Thistle, St Johnstone and St Mirren.

Alloa, Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Falkirk, Hearts, Hibernian, Livingston, Queen Of The South, Raith Rovers and Ross County.

Airdrie, Ayr United, Brechin City, Dunfermline, Forfar, Morton, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion and Stranraer

Albion Rovers, Annan Athletic, Arbroath, Berwick Rangers, Clyde, East Fife, East Stirlingshire, Elgin City, Montrose and Queens Park.

Where would Sellick and THE play?

Glory Lurker
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Vested interests will stop any sort of radical change to the way the game is set up in Scotland. All short term gain (or at least short term avoidance of loss), but unless the system is totally shaken up senior football here is deid in the long term.

McSwanky
01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
A good start would be to make only the top 2 leagues national. Anything below that should be regional. Why would any of the owners of the likes of Ayr, Stranraer, Peterhead, Elgin, Berwick etc etc vote against that? Less travel time and cost, more chance of local 'derbies' but still the opportunity to progress if that's what they want to go for. Personally I can't see a downside.

Eyrie
01-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Where would Sellick and THE play?

I'm relieved someone's paying attention.

And the answer is who cares? :greengrin

Waxy
02-04-2015, 07:07 AM
We already do regional. Highland league Lowland league.

AndyM_1875
02-04-2015, 07:43 AM
I'm relieved someone's paying attention.

And the answer is who cares? :greengrin

They can play each other 30 times a year so that their dumb as rocks fans get their sectarian fix.
As long as they're miles away from us I really couldn't care less.

Waxy
08-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyone know when the playoffs are? Two legs or a single match at a neutral venue?

AndyM_1875
08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Anyone know when the playoffs are? Two legs or a single match at a neutral venue?

Two Legs.
1st one is at Meadowbank - 25 April 3pm
2nd the week later up in Brora

Winner goes on to play another 2 legs against Club 42 (probably Montrose).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32214448

theonlywayisup
25-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Two Legs.
1st one is at Meadowbank - 25 April 3pm
2nd the week later up in Brora

Winner goes on to play another 2 legs against Club 42 (probably Montrose).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32214448

Finished 1-1. City were 1 up after Deniran scored after 58 mins. The Rangers scored equalised after 79 mins.

Attendance was 908.

Edit: The winner will play Montrose.

Nutmegged
26-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Two leages of 16 would be perfect but 30 games just isn't enough so we have to be creative

play each other twice, after 30 games split into four groups of four, play each other a further twice giving you 36 gamss

Premiership:

Team 1 - Champs CL Football
Team 2 - Runners Up EL Football
Team 3 - Europa League Play-Off vs Team 5
Team 4
------------------------
Team 5 - Europa League Play-Off vs Team 3
Team 6
Team 7
Team 8
------------------------
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 12 - Relegation Play-Off vs Team 14
-------------------------
Team 13
Team 14 - Relegation Play-Off vs Team 12
Team 15 - Relegated
Team 16 - Relegated

This way every split section would have a consequence which should keep interest high

with the Euro Play-Off spot, if any of the top 3 win the Scottish Cup then Team 4 would replace Team 3 in the Play-Off

CHAMPIONSHIP

Team 1 - Champs Promoted
Team 2 - Runners Up Promoted
Team 3 - Play-Off vs Team 6
Team 4 - Play-Off vs Team 5
----------------------------------------
Team 5 - Play-Off vs Team 4
Team 6 - Play-Off vs Team 3
Team 7
Team 8
--------------------------------------
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 12 - Relegation Play-Off with the Runner Up of High/Lowland League
Team 13
Team 14 - Relegation Play-Off with best placed Runner Up om Highland/Lowland
Team 15 - Automatic Relegation
Team 16 - Automatic Relegation

exHIBition
27-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Two leages of 16 would be perfect but 30 games just isn't enough so we have to be creative

play each other twice, after 30 games split into four groups of four, play each other a further twice giving you 36 gamss

Premiership:

Team 4
------------------------
Team 6
Team 7
Team 8
------------------------
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 13
Team 15 - Relegated
Team 16 - Relegated

This way every split section would have a consequence which should keep interest high

with the Euro Play-Off spot, if any of the top 3 win the Scottish Cup then Team 4 would replace Team 3 in the Play-Off

CHAMPIONSHIP

Team 1 - Champs Promoted
Team 7
Team 8
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 13

Your system is very much flawed.

For instance, if Premiership Team 7 beat Premiership Team 10 in the cup final then team 7 will get the 'Cup Winners' Europa league place. That leaves a strange situation where the team finishing 4th are overlooked completely when it comes to the other Europa League place. The teams that finish 3rd and 5th play-off. How can this be considered in any way fair? By finishing 5th a team has a chance of earning a place in the Europa League when the team that finishes 4th does not. Based on last season's finishing spots this would have been the case as St Johnstone in 6th spot won the cup. It could turn out that Falkirk win it this year an the situation would be the same.

Same at the bottom. The team that finishes 13th has no chance of being relegated yet the team finishing 12th does in both leagues?

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2015, 01:21 AM
Your system is very much flawed.

For instance, if Premiership Team 7 beat Premiership Team 10 in the cup final then team 7 will get the 'Cup Winners' Europa league place. That leaves a strange situation where the team finishing 4th are overlooked completely when it comes to the other Europa League place. The teams that finish 3rd and 5th play-off. How can this be considered in any way fair? By finishing 5th a team has a chance of earning a place in the Europa League when the team that finishes 4th does not. Based on last season's finishing spots this would have been the case as St Johnstone in 6th spot won the cup. It could turn out that Falkirk win it this year an the situation would be the same.

Same at the bottom. The team that finishes 13th has no chance of being relegated yet the team finishing 12th does in both leagues?

Phew, I'm glad it isnae just me, looked at that set up a few times and did a bit of head scratching.

Danderhall Hibs
27-04-2015, 05:45 AM

Premiership:

Team 4
------------------------
Team 6
Team 7
Team 8
------------------------
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 13
Team 15 - Relegated
Team 16 - Relegated

CHAMPIONSHIP

Team 1 - Champs Promoted
Team 7
Team 8
Team 9
Team 10
Team 11
Team 13

Proof that Neil Doncaster has a user ID on Hibs.net?

lucky
27-04-2015, 06:37 AM
At least he is trying, yes it needs tweaked but two leagues of 16 is a start.

CallumLaidlaw
27-04-2015, 09:08 AM
A 18 team Premier League, 12 team Championship with 2 ten team regional leagues below it.

34 league games, increase the league cup with maybe regional groups (10 groups of 5 with winners and 6 best runners up qualifying for last 16) to give TV their extra derbies, and give the league cup a european place again to add more value to it.

JimBHibees
27-04-2015, 09:35 AM

Sometimes the money argument needs to be parked and the general well being and development nature of the football in this country seen as the imperative. There would be a more competitive league IMO as teams like Aberdeen can go on a decent run and be near Celtc at the top. If you take the most recent 3 games between the teams out of it they would be neck and neck.

greenlex
27-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Tyson leagues of 20. Home and away once is 38 games. 3 up 3 down. Pyramid below. No splits no complications.There are no meaningless games. If you are safe you blood youngsters.

JimBHibees
27-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Tyson leagues of 20. Home and away once is 38 games. 3 up 3 down. Pyramid below. No splits no complications.There are no meaningless games. If you are safe you blood youngsters.

Agree apart from I think play offs are good for promotion and relegation so a play off between each league for the 3rd promotion/relegation place. Agree about the importance of kids getting first team games also.

Waxy
27-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Just regionalise the whole lot. Then we'll never see the Glasgow twins ever again.

Waxy
27-04-2015, 11:18 AM
No a bad idea by me if i do say so myself. Say 4 regional leagues. 4 winners go into the semi final Scottish title playoffs.Far more exciting than what we've got.

theonlywayisup
09-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Brora Rangers beat Montrose one nil today. Second leg to come.

Nando™
09-05-2015, 08:13 PM
They're not doing very well at throwing these games. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Brora these last few weeks.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
They're not doing very well at throwing these games. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Brora these last few weeks.

Jeff Stelling was talking about it today - how they don't want to go up and that. They had a chance last week to chuck it and then again they've won. Clearly they want to go up so no idea why they keep banging on about not wanting to go up?!

high bee
10-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Maybe their plan is to win all games and be winning the final up til the 90th minute, then they will score as many og's as necessary to lose the tie. Then they keep their highland league status but still show they're good enough.

Either that or Montrose are that bad that they can't lose, even when trying.

Hermit Crab
10-05-2015, 10:03 AM
It was an og by marvin Andrews yesterday. Montrose will win the return leg I think.

Canongatehibs
10-05-2015, 07:47 PM
It was an og by marvin Andrews yesterday. Montrose will win the return leg I think.

Do we really need ANOTHER Rangers in our leagues?!!

Nutmegged
11-05-2015, 02:41 AM
Jeff Stelling was talking about it today - how they don't want to go up and that. They had a chance last week to chuck it and then again they've won. Clearly they want to go up so no idea why they keep banging on about not wanting to go up?!

Professional Pride

I think financially and logisticallly its a worry, its the unknown for them and they're pretty damn comfortable and secure where they are, they'll look at the likes of Inverness Caley and Ross County though as proof of what can be done with solid long term planning and a sound infrastructure

theonlywayisup
16-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Montrose beat Brora Rangers 3-1 yesterday.