PDA

View Full Version : The fans that stood in the rain

Seveno
28-02-2015, 06:08 PM
I sat in the Alloa gazebo today and felt pretty cold. Well done to the brave hardy souls that stood behind the goals in the cold driving rain for nearly 2 hours. I salute you all.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 06:15 PM
I sat in the Alloa gazebo today and felt pretty cold. Well done to the brave hardy souls that stood behind the goals in the cold driving rain for nearly 2 hours. I salute you all.

Me too, well done to all the Hibees standing in the rain. Didn't realise how heavy it was, until I had to walk to the car after the game

GreenArmyyy!
28-02-2015, 06:18 PM
It was like that at Cowdenbeath earlier in the season as well. Absolutely horrible weather.

SteveHFC
28-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Lett at half-time because of the rain. Done the same at Cowdenbeath too :greengrin

kaimendhibs
28-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys. It was nasty to say the least. Absolutely soaked to the skin but worth it to see us get the 3 points.

Seveno
28-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Lett at half-time because of the rain. Done the same at Cowdenbeath too :greengrin

Next time, if there is a next time, get a ticket for the 'East Stand' ya numpty!

SteveHFC
28-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Next time, if there is a next time, get a ticket for the 'East Stand' ya numpty!

:thumbsup:

baggio70
28-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Me too, well done to all the Hibees standing in the rain. Didn't realise how heavy it was, until I had to walk to the car after the game

Converse trainers were a bad idea this morning. I was crying like a baby.
Old man in front of me wasn't bother a bit. Summer jacket, with trousers and shoes. Didn't even look cold. Hardcore

S4uzee
28-02-2015, 06:33 PM
I didn't go today but you all deserve an extra 100 loyalty points for that, well done 👍

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 06:37 PM
http://www.berghaus.com/

CB_NO3
28-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Just got home. I am soaked to the bone. Wet clothes off. Now to chill with a cold beer.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 06:40 PM
I waved to Hermit Crab at half time, from my nice dry seat in the Gazebo. The water was running down his head and face. I was very disappointed that he didn't wave and smile back to me!

Albanian Hibs
28-02-2015, 06:44 PM
I was in the front row of gazebo and got soaked

Sergey
28-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I waved to Hermit Crab at half time, from my nice dry seat in the Gazebo. The water was running down his head and face. I was very disappointed that he didn't wave and smile back to me!

He probably mistakenly thought that it was high-tide.

heretoday
28-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Real fans.

greenlex
28-02-2015, 06:46 PM
it was horrendous.:agree:

Seveno
28-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Oh, and big cheer for the ballboys. The wee lad in front of the gazebo looked really miserable.

erin go bragh
28-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Well done all . Great 3pts ,looking forward to the cup game next Sunday .

Ggtth

CallumLaidlaw
28-02-2015, 06:59 PM
It really felt like classic Scottish football today. Grinding out a 1-0 win while watch from the terracing in the pouring rain. My lad was freezing, but he didn't complain too much. Every single item of clothing was drenched, and my legs still feel cold now. All in the name of watching the Hibees tho, so worth it for the 3pts :thumbsup:

poolman
28-02-2015, 07:02 PM
I finished work at half three today and nipped in to the diggers for a pint before the smelly lot came back.

Two guys came in from the Yams match at half time and somebody asked why they were back so early

" We were 5-0 up at half time and we got bored " was the reply

WTF

Stuarty27
28-02-2015, 07:21 PM
The gazebo was nice and cosy :greengrin

Good turn out

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Not long back and immediately changed every item of clothing as I was soaked through to the skin.

It was terrible weather conditions, just glad that we got the three points.

Ozyhibby
28-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Summer football?

Golden Bear
28-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Summer football?

Aye the rain is warmer in the summer right enough.

Baldy Foghorn
28-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Summer football?

Does it not rain in the Summer?.....I have had a right few good soakings on the golf course in Summer:rolleyes:

TamHibs
28-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I took an umbrella (learnt my lesson from Cowdenbeath) & still ended up soaking lol

Stuarty27
28-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Any idea how many travelled ? I'd guess 1500

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Any idea how many travelled ? I'd guess 1500

Probably just over 1000.

SlickShoes
28-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Probably just over 1000.

Not as many as earlier in the season but it was completely grim, hope that's our last time there

Alfred E Newman
28-02-2015, 08:06 PM
This was popular in the 70's :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
28-02-2015, 08:06 PM

He never smiles Bill..........:aok:

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Not as many as earlier in the season but it was completely grim, hope that's our last time there

:agree: Only slightly better than Central Park in Cowdenbeath.

Professional football really shouldn't be getting played at places like that any more.

Plus I can never get any decent mobile signal in Alloa to check my phone for the other scores! :greengrin

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 08:10 PM
This was popular in the 70's :greengrin

Met a lad at half time, who was wearing a black bin bag over his coat. He got it from the catering staff

NthCarolinaHibs
28-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Still soaked nearly five hours later..worth the three points tho..Glory Glory

Haymaker
28-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Summer football?

We would be playing football at this time of we had summer football.

Thecat23
28-02-2015, 09:21 PM
We would be playing football at this time of we had summer football.

Not if we started it in April.

Haymaker
28-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Not if we started it in April.

So our season would end when?

Jonnyboy
28-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Did you leave because you were soaked through? If so, how much wetter do you think you'd have been if you'd stayed to the end? :wink:

Thecat23
28-02-2015, 09:28 PM
So our season would end when?

Ignore me, means we would be playing in Dec which wouldn't be summer football [emoji23]

I really need to lay off tramadol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haymaker
28-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Ignore me, means we would be playing in Dec which wouldn't be summer football [emoji23]

I really need to lay off tramadol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem mate!

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 09:30 PM

Professional football really shouldn't be getting played at places like that any more.

Plus I can never get any decent mobile signal in Alloa to check my phone for the other scores! :greengrin

I agree, they should all have 10,000 seat stadia and to **** with 100 years + of football tradition, these Mickey Mouse teams have no purpose. That's what's holding us back as a nation. Call themselves semi-professional! :wink:

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Agree, I was in what they laughably call the away stand, it was ****ty, but I have to say I'd rather have that., than standing on the terracing, a truly horrible ground, well done to all that braved the rain uncovered [emoji122]

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I agree, they should all have 10,000 seat stadia and to **** with 100 years + of football tradition, these Mickey Mouse teams have no purpose. That's what's holding us back as a nation. Call themselves semi-professional! :wink:

Not quite, but they should have an infrastructure that's fit for purpose, a ****ty little ground, with a playing surface that's only fit for Junior level football, that hopefully after this season we will never have to visit again....

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Not quite, but they should have an infrastructure that's fit for purpose, a ****ty little ground, with a playing surface that's only fit for Junior level football, that hopefully after this season we will never have to visit again....

But what would that purpose be? Bear in mind that our ground was but a hovel not that long ago, maybe Alloa find that their's it suits their needs just fine? What can we reasonably ask of a team that get crowds of 500 for their games and are really punching above their weight, when you have team like Dunfermline Ayr, Airdrie and Morton in the league below?

I agree on the last point. Never again should a Hibs side be in the lower league, not acceptable.

Pete
28-02-2015, 09:58 PM
It's just as well it never rained in the eighties when almost every away end was a section of open terracing.

Or maybe it did rain but people were a bit less pampered and moany back then. :greengrin

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 10:00 PM
But what would that purpose be? Bear in mind that our ground was but a hovel not that long ago, maybe Alloa find that their's it suits their needs just fine? What can we reasonably ask of a team that get crowds of 500 for their games and are really punching above their weight, when you have team like Dunfermline Ayr, Airdrie and Morton in the league below?

I agree on the last point. Never again should a Hibs side be in the lower league, not acceptable.

Each league should have its own criteria for participating, to have a ground like Alloa for the Championship, where you get a much larger way support than they are ever going to get home fans, having to put up with the crappy facilities is not really on........ultimately , even when reasonably successful by their own standards, if they can't attract more than 500, then do they really deserve to be there over clubs like Dunfermline?

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 10:02 PM
It's just as well it never rained in the eighties when almost every away end was a section of open terracing.

Or maybe it did rain but people were a bit less pampered and moany back then. :greengrin

Different times, and even in the 80's at least you had a concrete structured terracing where you could get a decent view..............but we should really be demanding more when you are expected to pay £16-18

One Day
28-02-2015, 10:06 PM
It was like that at Cowdenbeath earlier in the season as well. Absolutely horrible weather.

Exactly the same and I was just as wet. Made for a miserable train journey home

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Exactly the same and I was just as wet. Made for a miserable train journey home

Agree, Cowdenbeath has to be one of the most miserable,e experiences I have ever had in football. The cup game when Pat was the Manager, the rain was monsoon like and it was ****ing freezing, almost gave up at half time

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Each league should have its own criteria for participating, to have a ground like Alloa for the Championship, where you get a much larger way support than they are ever going to get home fans, having to put up with the crappy facilities is not really on........ultimately , even when reasonably successful by their own standards, if they can't attract more than 500, then do they really deserve to be there over clubs like Dunfermline?

I guess that they do, based on results. We've been down that road, hence why Raith, Dunfermline, Airdrie, have 10,000 seats.

I was there in August or whenever, seemed like a decent wee ground, no complaints at all about the facilities. Might be better that we just don't get relegated in future, then we don't gave to endure the minnow stadia?

I'm sure Alloa are an important part of the community and the fact that they've been playing football since 1883 (I checked) tells me that they have a right, same as any other team

Mikey09
28-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Real fans.

As opposed to??

Pete
28-02-2015, 10:20 PM
As opposed to??

Atletico fans?

Mikey09
28-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Atletico fans?

Very good... :wink:

whiskyhibby
28-02-2015, 10:22 PM
I guess that they do, based on results. We've been down that road, hence why Raith, Dunfermline, Airdrie, have 10,000 seats.

I was there in August or whenever, seemed like a decent wee ground, no complaints at all about the facilities. Might be better that we just don't get relegated in future, then we don't gave to endure the minnow stadia?

I'm sure Alloa are an important part of the community and the fact that they've been playing football since 1883 (I checked) tells me that they have a right, same as any other team

Im not sure that the fact they have been in Scottish football since the 1880s has any bearing on their relevance in today's environment...........if so then let's bring back 3rd Lanark and other now defunct or nearly defunct teams.......they offer little in today's game and if we really are setting our sights on getting a portion of the English TV money, then Alloa and other such teams are not helping our cause, and I also include those that deal in sectarianism in that evaluation.

There are about 20 too many clubs in Scotland for our game to be healthy, we need a cull..........

monktonharp
28-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I agree, they should all have 10,000 seat stadia and to **** with 100 years + of football tradition, these Mickey Mouse teams have no purpose. That's what's holding us back as a nation. Call themselves semi-professional! :wink: nope, I disagree. I hope your quote is a bit of a wind up. the stadium figure you mention, caused problems before with Falkirk iirc not being promoted? then probs with Caley, after the rules changed? Are you saying, that Alloa Athletic should be emptied ? so lets bring in Spartans, who have got lucky, landed a nice wee patch in a bigger community and it's a place we can go to on a corporation bus!

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 10:35 PM
nope, I disagree. I hope your quote is a bit of a wind up. the stadium figure you mention, caused problems before with Falkirk iirc not being promoted? then probs with Caley, after the rules changed? Are you saying, that Alloa Athletic should be emptied ? so lets bring in Spartans, who have got lucky, landed a nice wee patch in a bigger community and it's a place we can go to on a corporation bus!

No mate, I was responding to someone's nonsense, which was surely one of those whoosh things.

Mikey09
28-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Im not sure that the fact they have been in Scottish football since the 1880s has any bearing on their relevance in today's environment...........if so then let's bring back 3rd Lanark and other now defunct or nearly defunct teams.......they offer little in today's game and if we really are setting our sights on getting a portion of the English TV money, then Alloa and other such teams are not helping our cause, and I also include those that deal in sectarianism in that evaluation.

There are about 20 too many clubs in Scotland for our game to be healthy, we need a cull..........

Im split on this one. I really get what you're saying re too many clubs etc, just look at the success of ICT for proof of this. However, having played in the lower leagues and at a lot of these grounds it would take a lot away from people who love there club and support them with a real passion. For me one of the problems is the glory hunters heading too watch the ugly sisters. Buses heading from towns all over the country to Ibrox and Parkhead.

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 10:40 PM

No we need reorganisation that promotes a more forward thinking game in this wee country of ours that happens to love football so much that we have 40 professional teams. Disagree that Alloa have any influence on whether we get a portion of English TV money, in fact not aware that we ever have had share of that cash. We don't need to bring back defunct teams, why would we do that. Do Alloa get national lottery funding or something, because I'm not aware of any sugar daddy that keeps them running for their own self-gratification.

As for what they offer, well clearly enough to beat a team with resources maybe twenty times what they have at their disposal (back in August or whenever) I'm sure the people of Alloa would take issue with you.

CallumLaidlaw
28-02-2015, 10:42 PM
I think the worst thing is they have the cheek to charge £18 for standing on that terracing. I know we are £22, but at least it is good facilities and somewhere to shelter from the elements at half time.

I quite enjoyed the whole experience. Its not often you get to stand on a terracing these days, and once I was wet, it was what it was. Bring on Cowdenbeath next month :wink:

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:51 PM
nope, I disagree. I hope your quote is a bit of a wind up. the stadium figure you mention, caused problems before with Falkirk iirc not being promoted? then probs with Caley, after the rules changed? Are you saying, that Alloa Athletic should be emptied ? so lets bring in Spartans, who have got lucky, landed a nice wee patch in a bigger community and it's a place we can go to on a corporation bus!

:agree: I am definitely not an expert on Alloa but, however they got and stayed there, have Alloa ever done a (now defunct) Glasgow rangers or yams in admin number on anyone? They are involved in Scottish football on merit by the look of it.

DarrenSQH
28-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Was soaked today. Not as bad as Cowdenbeath as it wasn't as cold but I don't think anything could be.

CB_NO3
28-02-2015, 11:10 PM
I finished work at half three today and nipped in to the diggers for a pint before the smelly lot came back.

Two guys came in from the Yams match at half time and somebody asked why they were back so early

" We were 5-0 up at half time and we got bored " was the reply

WTF
You need to change your local mate.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 11:24 PM

:agree: They are a consistent lot the yam, they were pouring out in droves last time it was 5-0 at half time down Gorgie way as well. ..I suppose all big teams do it.

My_Wife_Camille
28-02-2015, 11:28 PM
As opposed to??
West Stand People

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 11:45 PM

I never mentioned anything about capacity.

It could be a stadium that holds 1500 for all I care, but it could be a 1500 capacity that is actually a stadium which has a decent level of facilities.

Places like Central Park and the Indodrill Stadium are not grounds that should be deemed acceptable any more.

Whalemeister
28-02-2015, 11:51 PM
Drooned rats! Think we were 10 miles north of Aberdeen when we dried out.

Liberal Hibby
01-03-2015, 12:16 AM
I

Nope there are exactly the right number of clubs in Scotland - if there weren't they'd fold and be defunct. Most of the smaller clubs break even - low overheads, part time players, community support and a profit making social club. It's exactly the model used by the vast majority of non-league clubs in England (and Europe). The only difference in Scotland is that the top of the non-league is included in the non-non-league (as it were). The pyramid will over time blur the difference (as it has done south of the border).

givescotlandfreedom
01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys. It was nasty to say the least. Absolutely soaked to the skin but worth it to see us get the 3 points.

Dedication pal, glad the players got 3 points for you all today.

Pete
01-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Im split on this one. I really get what you're saying re too many clubs etc, just look at the success of ICT for proof of this. However, having played in the lower leagues and at a lot of these grounds it would take a lot away from people who love there club and support them with a real passion. For me one of the problems is the glory hunters heading too watch the ugly sisters. Buses heading from towns all over the country to Ibrox and Parkhead.

This is why I don't have a problem with these clubs "taking advantage" of the big clubs who just happen to be in the same league.

Where would Alloa be if the vast majority of people in the Alloa area supported their local team? Their league position might be similar but it would be more natural and not down to a miraculous combination of good players and excellent management which has them punching above their weight. Who knows where they might be had this combination been there along with years of local support. They might have even been able to afford to invest in some decent facilities.

Every one of the teams in the lower leagues suffers the same problem. They are in areas where glory hunters are in abundance so have two choices. They either invest in their team and hope for the best or take the plunge with their decaying ground and cut back. To insist that everyone who has the pleasure of our company has minimum standards is snobbery. It's similar to the mentality that made clubs like Raith Rovers etc..build 10000 seater stadiums because a certain artificial standard had to be adhered to.

Instead of moaning at these wee clubs for charging us an extra £3, we should be venting our anger towards the authorities and the media for enforcing the idea that the old firm are the only teams worth a sook in this country.

And if anyone wants to "streamline" the game in this country, they should look at this English game that they want to either emulate or piggyback. It's sold on history, heritage and tradition which is something we have in abundance. It's the distribution of collective wealth that's the problem with our "product".

weecounty hibby
01-03-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm Hibs through and through but I am Alloa born and bred. Alloa as an incredibly well run community club who pay their way in Scottish football and in the wider business world. They have improved the stadium over the last few years and I'm sure they will continue to do so as and when funds allow. They are in a league with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and above Dunfermline. All clubs who have been FORCED to spend millions on upgrading their grounds, likely at a time when they couldn't afford it. Three of these "bigger" clubs have gone into administration with RR and Falkirk also close. There is a place for the likes of Alloa in Scottish football and right now that place is near the bottom of division 1.
I can remember when growing up Alloa would get much bigger crowds than they do now. Years of glory hunting Rangers and Celtic fans (and of course Alloa Hibs supporters club) leaving the area each week has driven crowds down. Football is a tough business and Alloa do alright.

Keith_M
01-03-2015, 07:21 AM
I'm Hibs through and through but I am Alloa born and bred. Alloa as an incredibly well run community club who pay their way in Scottish football and in the wider business world. They have improved the stadium over the last few years and I'm sure they will continue to do so as and when funds allow. They are in a league with Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Falkirk, Raith Rovers and above Dunfermline. All clubs who have been FORCED to spend millions on upgrading their grounds, likely at a time when they couldn't afford it. Three of these "bigger" clubs have gone into administration with RR and Falkirk also close. There is a place for the likes of Alloa in Scottish football and right now that place is near the bottom of division 1.
I can remember when growing up Alloa would get much bigger crowds than they do now. Years of glory hunting Rangers and Celtic fans (and of course Alloa Hibs supporters club) leaving the area each week has driven crowds down. Football is a tough business and Alloa do alright.

All this I totally agree with.

But, honestly, how much would it cost them to put a wee roof on the north terrace the same as on the south? I'm sure they could afford it from all the extra money they've made playing Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers this season.

lucky
01-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Alloa deserve to be in the same league as us as both teams football ability dictate that. However it's not to much to ask clubs to have some sort of covering from the weather. We expect the cold but to be forced to stand in driving rain and freezing cold and to pay for the privilege is wrong.

I like many Hibs supporters no longer live in Edinburgh but still follow Hibs. I just don't get that you must support your nearest club. Supporting a team is made up of many elements, location may be one of them but it's not the be all and end all.

weecounty hibby
01-03-2015, 07:39 AM
All this I totally agree with.

But, honestly, how much would it cost them to put a wee roof on the north terrace the same as on the south? I'm sure they could afford it from all the extra money they've made playing Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers this season.
I agree and as I say, they will most likely improve The Recs when the can afford to. Even a roof as you suggest would cost £0000s. They need to replace the pitch which is worn out and I believe that will be about £400,000. I'm sure that they will continue as they are doing. Slowly improving as a team, slowly improving the facilities while staying financially stable and providing a community focus that sees them having hundreds of kids playing football each week

Keith_M
01-03-2015, 07:43 AM
I agree and as I say, they will most likely improve The Recs when the can afford to. Even a roof as you suggest would cost £0000s. They need to replace the pitch which is worn out and I believe that will be about £400,000. I'm sure that they will continue as they are doing. Slowly improving as a team, slowly improving the facilities while staying financially stable and providing a community focus that sees them having hundreds of kids playing football each week

Honestly, that much? Jeezo.

As an aside, I preferred it when they had the wee roofed terracing along the side of the pitch. I've been in there as both a home and away Fan.

oneone73
01-03-2015, 07:47 AM
It was half-time before I remembered that the jacket I was wearing had a hood inside the collar. D'oh!

weecounty hibby
01-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Alloa deserve to be in the same league as us as both teams football ability dictate that. However it's not to much to ask clubs to have some sort of covering from the weather. We expect the cold but to be forced to stand in driving rain and freezing cold and to pay for the privilege is wrong.

I like many Hibs supporters no longer live in Edinburgh but still follow Hibs. I just don't get that you must support your nearest club. Supporting a team is made up of many elements, location may be one of them but it's not the be all and end all.
If that was in reply to me, I never said that you must follow your local team. I dont!! But over the years it has become the norm around here, and many other towns, to be an OF "FAN" you know the ones, buy a strip each year for themselves and all the family but never ever go to a game. Back in the day a % of these people would have gone to watch their local team but sadly no more

weecounty hibby
01-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Honestly, that much? Jeezo.

As an aside, I preferred it when they had the wee roofed terracing along the side of the pitch. I've been in there as both a home and away Fan.
Me too. I remember being in The Recs when Alloa played Celtic in the cup and there were 11,000 in!!
Yep about 400k for the most up to date plastic stuff. They have been in touch with Alloa rugby club to see what help can be given as with the rugby on board it opens up more grants

green&left
01-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Anyone that goes/doesn't go to support their team because of the facilities is a tad weird IMO.

We are playing at '****ty' wee grounds like Cowdenbeath and Alloa because that is were we deserve to be playing. Don't blame Cowdenbeath and Alloa for getting soaked, blame our ***** chairman who employed an equally as ***** manager.

FWIW thought yesterday's crowd of what, 700 (?) was pisspoor. Pay weekend, easy journey by road and rail and a chance to go 4 points clear in 2nd.

lucky
01-03-2015, 08:17 AM
If that was in reply to me, I never said that you must follow your local team. I dont!! But over the years it has become the norm around here, and many other towns, to be an OF "FAN" you know the ones, buy a strip each year for themselves and all the family but never ever go to a game. Back in the day a % of these people would have gone to watch their local team but sadly no more

Was not a reply to you just a general point in following your local team. Even when I lived in Edinburgh it would have been debatable whether Hibs were my local team

Green Diet
01-03-2015, 08:21 AM
"Brave hardy souls"...."well done"...."real fans"

Don't make me laugh :greengrin

How about "bloody stupid"..."what were you thinking"

Normally if you plan to stand outside in an uncovered terrace at the Recreation Ground for 2 hours in the rain you can expect to get wet, if not soaked. This actually can be avoided by following a couple simple steps:

1. Don't be tight and pay the extra and sit in the covered stand;

or

2. Opt for waterproof clothing [this was invented some time ago so you don't get wet if caught in the rain]. :na na:

CallumLaidlaw
01-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Anyone that goes/doesn't go to support their team because of the facilities is a tad weird IMO.

We are playing at '****ty' wee grounds like Cowdenbeath and Alloa because that is were we deserve to be playing. Don't blame Cowdenbeath and Alloa for getting soaked, blame our ***** chairman who employed an equally as ***** manager.

FWIW thought yesterday's crowd of what, 700 (?) was pisspoor. Pay weekend, easy journey by road and rail and a chance to go 4 points clear in 2nd.

Grounds like Alloa and Cowdenbeath are one of the few reasons I'm enjoying this league. Beats the identikits of St Mirren, etc.

I'd say there was over a thousand Hibs fans there. The attendance was 2,024. We had 500 in the stand, and their home stand holds 400, and we definitely had more on the terraces than they did

CallumLaidlaw
01-03-2015, 08:29 AM
"Brave hardy souls"...."well done"...."real fans"

Don't make me laugh :greengrin

How about "bloody stupid"..."what were you thinking"

Normally if you plan to stand outside in an uncovered terrace at the Recreation Ground for 2 hours in the rain you can expect to get wet, if not soaked. This actually can be avoided by following a couple simple steps:

1. Don't be tight and pay the extra and sit in the covered stand;

or

2. Opt for waterproof clothing [this was invented some time ago so you don't get wet if caught in the rain]. :na na:

1. You know the prices are the same for the terracing and the stand I take it?

2. My lad had waterproof clothing on and was still drenched underneath.

Seven Zero
01-03-2015, 08:29 AM
The weather didn't bother me in the slightest but what did was the fact I bought tickets for behind the goals for £18 during the week to then see a sign saying £16 at the game yesterday at the cash gate for the same area? What's all that about? Strange one

CallumLaidlaw
01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
The weather didn't bother me in the slightest but what did was the fact I bought tickets for behind the goals for £18 during the week to then see a sign saying £16 at the game yesterday at the cash gate for the same area? What's all that about? Strange one

Don't worry, it was still £18 for walk ups. The £16 is for when Hibs, Hearts or Rangers aren't in town :wink:

Canongatehibs
01-03-2015, 09:24 AM

well done to all the shoppers in Princes Street who braved the rain too.
FFS.

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 09:24 AM

My arms were too heavy with the accumulation of water in my sleeves Billy. I did shout something to you. :greengrin

hibs0666
01-03-2015, 09:28 AM
I was soaked but still not as bad as Cowdenbeath. However, at least at Cowdenbeath, I managed to keep my leopard-skin thong dry.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 09:38 AM
My arms were too heavy with the accumulation of water in my sleeves Billy. I did shout something to you. :greengrin

I can lip read, boy

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I can lip read, boy

Haha I bet you can. When I leaned forward the water was running out the bottom of my jacket. It finally dried out at about half ten at night in the pub.

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Have we really become so mollycoddled that we need to pat ourselves on the back and strike up medals for simply standing in a few raindrops? In my day one one swam through a Lake of stagnant urine, ducking under as missiles of jagged concrete rained down upon us, and that was simply to get to the pie stand. When the action started it really was all bets off. Fans nowadays don't know how easy they have it. I'd have 'em all lined up against the wall and have them shot, just after I had their teeth ripped out with pliers. That would teach them the REAL MEANING of supporting a team.

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Well done drooned rats :greengrin

Even following the enforced restructuring of stadiums in the 90s a lot of clubs have a way to go. Derek Riordan made the point when he said he was thinking of moving south to play because it was depressing as a pro footballer to play at grounds with 3 or sometimes only 2 sides.

Even in the Premiership you have Partick Thistle and ICT with 3 stands ( at that, the main stand at ICT is only partly covered ) and Hamilton with 2 stands, I don't think that daft gazebo thing can be counted. Look at Dens park, its decrepit. This is the insanity of sport in Scotland though, we have crumbling or inadequate football grounds ( by far the countries biggest spectator sport ) and yet spend £14,000,000 of public money to transform Hampden into an athletics stadium for two weeks.

The case can be made that clubs like Hamilton, Falkirk & ICT don't need to build the stands required to surround the pitch because what they have can easily hold their normal attendance .... but if we want our game to be perceived as professional and reasonably big time we are not doing ourselves any favours by having grounds that look small time.

There are a couple of examples where that thinking has been to the fore in stadium design. Look at Paderborn FC in the Bundesliga, the place only holds 15,000 but has been designed to look and feel like a much bigger ground from inside and outside. The Aviva stadium in Dublin is another ... they only have room for a small stand at one end, but the roof of that stand is almost at the height of the others, there is no need for that that I can see apart from to stop the place looking bad.

Perhaps we could bid to host a future UEFA or FIFA tournament like the under 21 Euros or the under 16 or women's word cup. The budget allocated from public funds to host the Commonwealth games was a staggering £372,000,000. Imagine what you could do to Scotland's football grounds with a third of that.

:hijack:

kaimendhibs
01-03-2015, 10:31 AM
It was only a quid for a hotfog😃😃

MSK
01-03-2015, 10:33 AM
It was only a quid for a hotfogHot fog ...that's the last thing they needed if they were soaked tae the skin ...:greengrin

Hibeewilly
01-03-2015, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=kaimendhibs;4314789]It was only a quid for a hotfog[/QUOTE
And credit to the couple in the food stall behind the goal where Scotty scored for handing out the hot dogs and cups of Irn Bru near the end of the game free . Only other place I can recall seeing that was at Dingwall. Thanks guys

poolman
01-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Diggers is a great pub and there is quite a few Hibby regulars including Kev who has the pub

emerald green
01-03-2015, 11:09 AM

:agree: Well done to all those who attended.

superfurryhibby
01-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Well done drooned rats :greengrin

Even following the enforced restructuring of stadiums in the 90s a lot of clubs have a way to go. Derek Riordan made the point when he said he was thinking of moving south to play because it was depressing as a pro footballer to play at grounds with 3 or sometimes only 2 sides.

Even in the Premiership you have Partick Thistle and ICT with 3 stands ( at that, the main stand at ICT is only partly covered ) and Hamilton with 2 stands, I don't think that daft gazebo thing can be counted. Look at Dens park, its decrepit. This is the insanity of sport in Scotland though, we have crumbling or inadequate football grounds ( by far the countries biggest spectator sport ) and yet spend £14,000,000 of public money to transform Hampden into an athletics stadium for two weeks.

The case can be made that clubs like Hamilton, Falkirk & ICT don't need to build the stands required to surround the pitch because what they have can easily hold their normal attendance .... but if we want our game to be perceived as professional and reasonably big time we are not doing
any favours by having grounds that look small time.

:hijack:

Perceived by whom would be the question. TBH is don't think anyone else really cares, out with Scotland. We're just another minnow league, with a bigger fish in our pond.

Point about Hampden and the Commonwealth games is valid though. That amount of expenditure is rather ridiculous when you look at the outcomes for local people. There is no legacy in Dalmarnock and I seriously object to more public money having been thrown at the edifice that it our so called national stadium.

Spike Mandela
01-03-2015, 11:25 AM
In my selfless act of the day I gave away my two tickets for the Gazebo at the start of the match so that an older couple that sit infront of us at ER could have some shelter from the rain.

Towards the end of the game as the rain trickled down the back of my neck, the ground undrfoot was turning to mud and my clothing was soaked through to my bones I could easily have attacked the Gazebo and wrestled the tickets from their gnarled, blue with cold hands.:cb

One Day
01-03-2015, 11:37 AM
In my selfless act of the day I gave away my two tickets for the Gazebo at the start of the match so that an older couple that sit infront of us at ER could have some shelter from the rain.

You'll get your reward in heaven

monktonharp
01-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I can remember when growing up Alloa would get much bigger crowds than they do now. Years of glory hunting Rangers and Celtic fans (and of course Alloa Hibs supporters club) leaving the area each week has driven crowds down. Football is a tough business and Alloa do alright.:agree:they also give an inlet to players trying to get further in the game. my laddie had a trial, (listed as T.Rialist :greengrin) in a fist team game at Montrose. never made it further, but it is what Alloa do at times. grounds a ****lhole though, shove a couple o' tin roofs up ffs.

monktonharp
01-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Towards the end of the game as the rain trickled down the back of my neck, the ground undrfoot was turning to mud and my clothing was soaked through to my bones I could easily have attacked the Gazebo and wrestled the tickets from their gnarled, blue with cold hands.:cbAye, yer a tough lot ,you Alloans':aok:

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Perceived by whom would be the question. TBH is don't think anyone else really cares, out with Scotland. We're just another minnow league, with a bigger fish in our pond.

Point about Hampden and the Commonwealth games is valid though. That amount of expenditure is rather ridiculous when you look at the outcomes for local people. There is no legacy in Dalmarnock and I seriously object to more public money having been thrown at the edifice that it our so called national stadium.

The fight to divert youngsters from the delights of other leagues will be a tough one and I doubt 2 and 3 sided grounds adds to the attraction of our game, on or off the telly. I'm not talking about making grounds bigger, but surely a permanent 2,000 capacity stand on the bare sides of the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium and Falkirk Stadium for example would be better than what they have now. Just because we are a 'small league' why does that mean we shouldn't try to be the best we can be in terms of infrastructure at least.

That was the annoying thing about Hampden .... If 3 years ago somebody had told me 14 million quid would be spent on it with a net result of zero benefit to the place I would have called them mental.

Lago
01-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Summer football?
Has to come.

rosco-hibee
01-03-2015, 04:42 PM
I was one of the hardy souls standing behind the goals. It was pretty grim, but I strangely really enjoyed the trip out to Alloa. The football was pretty shocking, and it was only the stupid songs that kept me going. 4 or 5 guys in front of me singing 'my garden shed is bigger than you' for almost half an hour without pause being the highlight...

whiskyhibby
01-03-2015, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=kaimendhibs;4314789]It was only a quid for a hotfog[/QUOTE
And credit to the couple in the food stall behind the goal where Scotty scored for handing out the hot dogs and cups of Irn Bru near the end of the game free . Only other place I can recall seeing that was at Dingwall. Thanks guys

That's good to hear, well done them! [emoji122]

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Me and my old man swapped our stand tickets for terracing with a guy with his laddie who was soaked and upset. I took the soaking but it was worth it.

murray26
01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
The fans who attended yesterday and stayed to the end should get double loyalty points.

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 05:13 PM
The fans who attended yesterday and stayed to the end should get double loyalty points.

I agree.

oneone73
01-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I agree.

So do I.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 05:16 PM

Only if the bought from Hibs. No chance of tracing pay at the gate fans

PS was it cheaper to stand than sit yesterday?

murray26
01-03-2015, 05:22 PM

PS was it cheaper to stand than sit yesterday?

I paid at the gate so I'm goosed. I think it was the same price.

greenlex
01-03-2015, 05:30 PM

PS was it cheaper to stand than sit yesterday? Tickets were issued at PATG turnstiles. Fans could be given points if they have the tickets. The ones that stayed to the end is nonsense tho.

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Tickets were issued at PATG turnstiles. Fans could be given points if they have the tickets. The ones that stayed to the end is nonsense tho.

Good idea

Jonnyboy
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Oh the irony. I'm pretty sure I read on here, back in August, that it was a good experience going back to some of these old grounds, in terms of standing on the terracing etc :greengrin

Hermit Crab
01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Tickets were issued at PATG turnstiles. Fans could be given points if they have the tickets. The ones that stayed to the end is nonsense tho.

Whoosh! :greengrin

Lago
01-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Was not a reply to you just a general point in following your local team. Even when I lived in Edinburgh it would have been debatable whether Hibs were my local team
Really not sure what your trying to say.

SteveHFC
01-03-2015, 06:29 PM

And those that left at half-time including myself and a few others should be deducted points. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
01-03-2015, 06:31 PM
And those that left at half-time including myself and a few others should be deducted points. :greengrin

I think you have, you had 158, now down to 155. Hibs are watching you closely

Baldy Foghorn
01-03-2015, 06:40 PM
I paid at the gate so I'm goosed. I think it was the same price.

The website launch article, states you get points for buying away tickets in advance from Hibs.

murray26
01-03-2015, 06:48 PM
The website launch article, states you get points for buying away tickets in advance from Hibs.

I know.. Never noticed until Friday and I live in Falkirk so wasn't driving through..

Baldy Foghorn
01-03-2015, 06:52 PM
I know.. Never noticed until Friday and I live in Falkirk so wasn't driving through..

This only applies to future away games, as yesterday didn't count towards points

Pete
01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Aye, yer a tough lot ,you Alloans':aok:

The correct term for them is "Hawiians"

SteveHFC
01-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I think you have, you had 158, now down to 155. Hibs are watching you closely

:agree:

murray26
01-03-2015, 08:06 PM
This only applies to future away games, as yesterday didn't count towards points

Ok mate.. I thought yesterday counted.. I was a bit annoyed I missed out on potential points lol..

Haymaker
02-03-2015, 03:28 AM
Has to come.

You do realise that we would be play at this time of the year with "summer" football?

We would also be playing late November/December.