PDA

View Full Version : Butcher watch

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Doing the 'expert commentary' at Upton Park for radio five now. Always a pleasure to listen to his intelligent, insightful commentson the beautiful game.

'The game will be won and lost in the wide areas'.

Cliche bingo anyone?

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Banging on about his managerial experience with Sydney :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
28-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I refuse to watch or listen to him now. He still makes my blood boil.

I though I would never dislike a Hibs manager more than Calderwood but the havoc Butcher and his Mr Personality side kick caused in half a season is unforgivable.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Mickey Mouse has one.

Springbank
28-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Maybe he'll start bullying the five live staff live on air

Or perhaps he just reserved that treatment for Alex Harris behind closed doors

kaimendhibs
28-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Will never watch or listen to him again, detest the man.

Hibbyradge
I was told a story by an ex BA steward that Butcher has always been a prat.

Loads of Rangers players, 1st team, reserves and juniors or something like that, were on the plane when Butcher was in their team. Seemingly their behaviour was particularly raucous, as you can imagine.

During the safety announcement, Butcher shouted at the Stewardess, "Come and sit on my face, love."

She instantly shouted back, "Is that because your nose is bigger than your cock?" :hilarious

hfc rd
I pray he gets The Rangers job

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Attempt at humour. 'Alex song, he's ON song' (titter from el tel).
Alan Partridge. Bellend.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Any words of wisdom for big Sam to go on and win the game?
How about get Maurice to swear at them for you?

heretoday
28-02-2015, 12:26 PM
West Ham's defence is hopeless. It's last ditch stuff every time.

hfc rd
28-02-2015, 12:27 PM
West Ham's defending at that corner was like Hibs' defending under Butcher.

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Hes a lot like Lawro in fact. Successful playing career, horrendous coaching record where hes made shi'ite teams even worse, and then gone on to punditry where he gets to pretend he doesnt know **** all about tactics. Plus the bbc are contractually bound to always use the prefix 'Former England Captain' Terry Butcher.

I cant believe he was our manager. Like a horrible dream. Alan Stubbs is a different world.

andy1875
28-02-2015, 12:29 PM
But lads, never forget this key point.

"Sometimes conceding an early goal is no bad thing, it takes away the worry of conceding an early goal"

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 12:33 PM
:applause:

"Sometimes conceding an early goal is no bad thing, it takes away the worry of conceding an early goal"

Heisenberg
28-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Definitely up there as one of the most moronic statements I've ever heard from a Hibs manager. Him and his wee pals ruined us beyond belief.

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Definitely up there as one of the most moronic statements I've ever heard from a Hibs manager. Him and his wee pals ruined us beyond belief.

The prick that appointed him was was just as bad, remember this was not his first offence. :rolleyes:

Alex Trager
28-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
28-02-2015, 12:55 PM

:hilarious I'd managed to forget he said that.

Please, please, please go to Sevco.

emerald green
28-02-2015, 12:58 PM
It's like Butcher has joined the cult of the "celebrity". He's like a celebrity pundit. Knows absolutely f*** all, but some folk in the media hang on his every word.

Elephant Stone
28-02-2015, 01:05 PM
It's like Butcher has joined the cult of the "celebrity". He's like a celebrity pundit. Knows absolutely f*** all, but some folk in the media hang on his every word.

I can't understand why he has such a good reputation despite being an absolute failure in so many places. Relegation expert.

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 01:07 PM
On Maradona; 'I still hate him with a passion. Little *******'.
Never mind Tel. I bet he doesn't even know who you are.

EdinMike
28-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Has anyone called him a ****** yet ?! :agree:

andy1875
28-02-2015, 01:14 PM
I just searched for the article, it was a 2-0 defeat to St Mirren and we'd conceded after 13 seconds. The interview afterwards included this little beauty.

"Sometimes maybe it's a good thing if you lose an early goal because it takes away the threat of conceding because you have conceded - and then we lose a second goal."

emerald green
28-02-2015, 01:15 PM
I can't understand why he has such a good reputation despite being an absolute failure in so many places. Relegation expert.

:agree:

Zorro
28-02-2015, 01:19 PM
I just searched for the article, it was a 2-0 defeat to St Mirren and we'd conceded after 13 seconds. The interview afterwards included this little beauty.

"Sometimes maybe it's a good thing if you lose an early goal because it takes away the threat of conceding because you have conceded - and then we lose a second goal."

I was at that game - Hibs were woeful in every way. Felt strangely numb watching our team get taken apart in every area. I was one of those who thought he would bring the success of what he'd done at Inverness to us. Boy was I wrong. Can't bear to read or listen to anything he says now.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 01:19 PM

That presumably was the crucial one that meant we could relax completely? Job done Tel:aok: It seemed to work against Hamilton as well.

The mans a genius - worst Hibs manager in my lifetime.

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 01:56 PM
The good thing about being constantly relegated in your career is it takes away the fear of being constantly relegated in your career.

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Hitler yet.

:doh:

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 02:03 PM
The good thing about being constantly relegated in your career is it takes away the fear of being constantly relegated in your career.

:agree: Once you get that all important first one out the way, you can relax then become really good at it. He is now an authority on it. ****ing roaster :grr::grr:

Pretty Boy
28-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Has anyone called him a ****** yet ?! :agree:

Me.

Only too happy to oblige.

snooky
28-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Doing the 'expert commentary' at Upton Park for radio five now. Always a pleasure to listen to his intelligent, insightful commentson the beautiful game.

'The game will be won and lost in the wide areas'.

Cliche bingo anyone?

or "Show & Tel"

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Mickey Mouse has one.

:faf:

That's the sharpest post you've ever made! Or did your lass do it? :greengrin

God Petrie
28-02-2015, 05:11 PM
****. As a certain Diego Maradona put it "Terry who?". Being done twice by Maradona and sitting on his erse watching greatest goal ever is his greatest contribution to football. Perennial nobody.

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 05:12 PM
The good thing about being called a **** is that it takes away the fear of being called a ****.

Scorrie
28-02-2015, 05:19 PM
The good thing about being called a **** is that it takes away the fear of being called a ****.

Aye but it disnae stop us calling him a **** though, again

God Petrie
28-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Hiya terry hiya pal.

When asked if he would enjoy a chat with Maradona regarding the incident in Mexico's Estadio Azteca, the former Rangers and Ipswich Town defender added: "No. We have got to share technical areas but that's it as far as I'm concerned." What of a handshake, at the end of tomorrow's match, even? "No, I'm not bothered about that. For me, that's not a focal point." Think again, Terry.

Butcher's obvious pain relates to Maradona's "attitude long after the game", or rather that the 48-year-old has shown little remorse. The pair were together immediately after that infamous game as they were drug-tested. Butcher, along with his England team-mates Gary Stevens and Kenny Sansom, struggled to contain their anger. It could have been a warzone in there but it wasn't. I wasn't next to him; if I was I might have done something. I would pay a few thousand pounds to be in that drugs room again if I knew he was going to be in there," added Butcher.

Advertisement

"He came in and celebrated. He was the last person you wanted to see because, remember, he had also scored a wonderful goal on the way to which he beat me twice. I felt it more than anybody else.

"When I signalled to him about the head or the hand, he pointed to his head. Maybe that was because it was a small room and there were three Englishmen, not very happy, so he probably took the safe option. But that irritated me even more. If he had come in and said 'It was my hand, I apologise' then I would have only [wanted to] hit him four or five times instead of 20."

Haw haw haw. Get it rrrrright up ye.

CockneyRebel
28-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Hiya terry hiya pal.

When asked if he would enjoy a chat with Maradona regarding the incident in Mexico's Estadio Azteca, the former Rangers and Ipswich Town defender added: "No. We have got to share technical areas but that's it as far as I'm concerned." What of a handshake, at the end of tomorrow's match, even? "No, I'm not bothered about that. For me, that's not a focal point." Think again, Terry.

Butcher's obvious pain relates to Maradona's "attitude long after the game", or rather that the 48-year-old has shown little remorse. The pair were together immediately after that infamous game as they were drug-tested. Butcher, along with his England team-mates Gary Stevens and Kenny Sansom, struggled to contain their anger. It could have been a warzone in there but it wasn't. I wasn't next to him; if I was I might have done something. I would pay a few thousand pounds to be in that drugs room again if I knew he was going to be in there," added Butcher.

Advertisement

"He came in and celebrated. He was the last person you wanted to see because, remember, he had also scored a wonderful goal on the way to which he beat me twice. I felt it more than anybody else.

"When I signalled to him about the head or the hand, he pointed to his head. Maybe that was because it was a small room and there were three Englishmen, not very happy, so he probably took the safe option. But that irritated me even more. If he had come in and said 'It was my hand, I apologise' then I would have only [wanted to] hit him four or five times instead of 20."

Haw haw haw. Get it rrrrright up ye.

I also will never forgive Butcher for what he did to Hibs but I also hate cheats. Is it just when players cheat against the England team that you feel it's alright? A cheats still a cheat and a wee sh*te is still a wee sh*te.

zlatan
28-02-2015, 05:42 PM
I also will never forgive Butcher for what he did to Hibs but I also hate cheats. Is it just when players cheat against the England team that you feel it's alright? A cheats still a cheat and a wee sh*te is still a wee sh*te.

Of course not. Hearts and Rangers as well.

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-02-2015, 05:46 PM

He would be better going on Celebrity Big Brother or eating an alligators baw sack on Celebrity jungle instead of trying to be a pundit on the football.

God Petrie
28-02-2015, 05:56 PM

As a Scotland and Hibs fan, I apologise for my distaste for Scotland and Hibs' footballing rivals.

One Day Soon
28-02-2015, 05:59 PM
As a Scotland and Hibs fan, I apologise for my distaste for Scotland and Hibs' footballing rivals.

As a Scotland fan our footballing rivals are everyone surely, or don't Argentina count?

One Day Soon
28-02-2015, 06:00 PM
The most salient question for me is this - are we still paying him wages?

God Petrie
28-02-2015, 06:15 PM
As a Scotland fan our footballing rivals are everyone surely, or don't Argentina count?

Presumably since Dundee are also footballing rivals, I can't enjoy a certain performance from Albert Kidd?

cleanyman
28-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Who is Butcher?

I've only ever known him as jobby.

banchoryhibs
28-02-2015, 06:31 PM
The most salient question for me is this - are we still paying him wages?

No, I asked Rod Petrie this specific question after the AGM. He categorically confirmed that Butcher was off the payroll..... and good riddance

Aitchy
28-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Hundreds, if not thousands, were happy with his appointment, which I still find depressing. Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge, and access to Wikipedia, would have told you he would be an unmitigated disaster.

WindyMiller
28-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Well I liked it
I was waiting for someone else to laugh first.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-02-2015, 06:53 PM
If Alan Titchmarch f*****d up so badly on The Chelsea Flower Show, would he get put on football leave?

Hibbyradge
28-02-2015, 07:03 PM
If Alan Titchmarch f*****d up so badly on The Chelsea Flower Show, would he get put on football leave?

hibsbollah
28-02-2015, 07:53 PM

I will be using that at work on Monday.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 08:15 PM

I can remember driving home from the game that night and listening to his interview when he came out with that classic comment.

I almost crashed the car.

Northernhibee
28-02-2015, 08:29 PM
I can remember driving home from the game that night and listening to his interview when he came out with that classic comment.

I almost crashed the car.

But to be fair, sometimes it's good to crash your car...

Baldy Foghorn
28-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Butcher is a big galloot......Can't stand seeing him on TV, commentating on games, a dinosaur.......

Lucius Apuleius
28-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Only if it is Mikey's, it is turd coloured and nobody gets hurt.😀😀😊☺:-)

Sir David Gray
28-02-2015, 08:38 PM

True, I'm also a firm believer that it's sometimes better to crash your car early on in your driving career, as it takes away the threat of crashing your car for the first time later on in life.

snooky
28-02-2015, 09:04 PM

That's the sharpest post you've ever made! Or did your lass do it? :greengrin
Agreed. Very sharp by BH. Defo a ten oot o' tenner.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Just back from the pub, good chat with an Ipswich town fan so inevitably chat turned to their Tel - Boy went straight to the point and said that Butcher was a great Centre half but there's no way he'd get the managers job ahead of that less famous centre half Mick McCarthy. The fans wouldn't want him.

He said Butcher was one of a long line of players they loved but they should stay away from the managers job. His eyes were popping out his heid when the subject of Alan Brazil came up so I changed the subject to politics.

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:21 PM

:confused:WTF? With his collection of blazers, he is a shoe in for the Doncaster Role surely.

Zorro
28-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Hundreds, if not thousands, were happy with his appointment, which I still find depressing. Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge, and access to Wikipedia, would have told you he would be an unmitigated disaster.

Sorry to depress you. I have a modicum of football knowledge but as I've already said on this thread I was wrong. I wasn't the only one. It was painful watching what he did to our club, and painful being wrong. But while I'm certainly no footballing genius I don't think that I or others who made the same mistake are all lacking in knowledge of the game. Anyhoo, just glad we're moving in the right direction again.

CockneyRebel
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Sorry to depress you. I have a modicum of football knowledge but as I've already said on this thread I was wrong. I wasn't the only one. It was painful watching what he did to our club, and painful being wrong. But while I'm certainly no footballing genius I don't think that I or others who made the same mistake are all lacking in knowledge of the game. Anyhoo, just glad we're moving in the right direction again.

After the success Butcher had at Caley Thistle (and it was more than just one lucky season) I think everyone who wanted him at ER could be forgiven for thinking he would be an excellent choice to blow the cobwebs away and kick a few archies. Even acquaintances that support other teams (especially jambos) were hoping we wouldn't get him as they also thought he would be a good signing. Plenty of managers with good cv's have gone on to failure and vice versa. I wasn't too keen on Stubbs coming here so at least I'm consistent. I just think that with most supporters it is just a gut feeling we go by - sometimes it pans out sometimes not. In the meantime GGTTH.

CockneyRebel
01-03-2015, 11:31 AM

I think you just proved my point.

Holmesdale Hibs
01-03-2015, 02:48 PM
I remember someone posting a link on here to his commentary on us beating the old huns in semi final penalty shoot out. IIRC, the consensus was he was a good commentator that made some insightful comments. I listened to some of the game yesterday and thought he was decent enough.

He was also a reasonably popular choice at the time. As well as being gutted/embarrassed/angry at what he did, I'm still genuinely shocked at how badly he got it wrong.

Pretty Boy
01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
I remember someone posting a link on here to his commentary on us beating the old huns in semi final penalty shoot out. IIRC, the consensus was he was a good commentator that made some insightful comments. I listened to some of the game yesterday and thought he was decent enough.

He was also a reasonably popular choice at the time. As well as being gutted/embarrassed/angry at what he did, I'm still genuinely shocked at how badly he got it wrong.

I think Butcher understands the game. He's been involved in pro football for 30+ years so I'd be shocked if he hadn't picked anything up in that time.

I also think he has proven that with the right players and in the right environment he'll do ok. See Inverness and to a lesser extent Motherwell. His biggest issue at Hibs was not seeing what was staring him in the face: we didn't have the players to play the style he wanted to. Hoofing long balls into the corner when you have pacy strikers and wide players will work, it's crude but effective. Hoofing it into corners when you have guys like James Collins and Paul Heffernan up front and a mentally shattered Alex Harris on one wing and A N other out of position on the other is madness. The situations with the likes of McPake and Thomson was also bizarre. 2 guys who certainly had their best days behind them but would show a bit fight and heart left out whilst we persisted with the Nelsons, McGiverns and Haynes was baffling.

I'm not sure if it was stubborness, a genuine inability to identify problems and solutions or a complete '**** you we'll do it my way' mindset but he got it so wrong at Hibs it's unreal. The attitude of both him and Malpas since has just intesified the feeling they were one of the biggest mistakes the club made. At least one of them suggested they deserved more time and weren't given a chance. Delusional.

--------
01-03-2015, 05:55 PM

AND Celtic.

AND Dirty Leeds United. :devil:

#FromTheCapital
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I think Butcher understands the game. He's been involved in pro football for 30+ years so I'd be shocked if he hadn't picked anything up in that time.

I also think he has proven that with the right players and in the right environment he'll do ok. See Inverness and to a lesser extent Motherwell. His biggest issue at Hibs was not seeing what was staring him in the face: we didn't have the players to play the style he wanted to. Hoofing long balls into the corner when you have pacy strikers and wide players will work, it's crude but effective. Hoofing it into corners when you have guys like James Collins and Paul Heffernan up front and a mentally shattered Alex Harris on one wing and A N other out of position on the other is madness. The situations with the likes of McPake and Thomson was also bizarre. 2 guys who certainly had their best days behind them but would show a bit fight and heart left out whilst we persisted with the Nelsons, McGiverns and Haynes was baffling.

I'm not sure if it was stubborness, a genuine inability to identify problems and solutions or a complete '**** you we'll do it my way' mindset but he got it so wrong at Hibs it's unreal. The attitude of both him and Malpas since has just intesified the feeling they were one of the biggest mistakes the club made. At least one of them suggested they deserved more time and weren't given a chance. Delusional.

Excellent post. Nail on the head.

Winston Ingram
01-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Ipswich lost today:greengrin GIRUY

zlatan
01-03-2015, 08:33 PM
AND Celtic.

AND Dirty Leeds United. :devil:

Not whilst sexy Sol is there :love ya!:

Pete
01-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Not whilst sexy Sol is there :love ya!:

His defending yesterday against Watford anything but sexy.

HibbyAndy
01-03-2015, 09:10 PM

Norwich for automatic promotion anaw GIFRUY BUTCHER.

Mixu62
01-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Anyone know where his famous garden is, so we can "re-locate" it to Leith (tartan army at Wembley style)? After all, we bloody paid for it!!:fuming:

02-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Expert panellist? haahahahahaa don't make me laugh! The man is a shameless, useless clown of the highest order!

Don't care what he's doing nowadays anyway, I'm just glad he's nowhere near ER!

greenpaper55
02-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Expert panellist? haahahahahaa don't make me laugh! The man is a shameless, useless clown of the highest order!

Don't care what he's doing nowadays anyway, I'm just glad he's nowhere near ER!

The one thing he's not doing is managing a football club and it's likely to stay that way for a long time.

AndyM_1875
02-03-2015, 09:40 AM

That story you told me still gives me the shudders.

Hibs are playing a bounce game against the U20s and Kevin Thomson takes a ball in the midfield and ghosts past his marker before playing a gorgeous slide rule pass to Heffernan (I know!) in the box which he slams past the keeper. Butcher appears all red faced on the sidelines going utterly nuts screaming at the players "Put it in the corners, we need throw ins and corners!!"

No wonder Thommo hated him.

emerald green
02-03-2015, 09:51 AM
The one thing he's not doing is managing a football club and it's likely to stay that way for a long time.

That's because he's been found out after the damage he caused at Hibs, even though he was sacked at several other clubs before rolling up at ER on the back of his one period of success at ICT, (which remains a bit of a mystery to me).

I think clubs will need to think long and hard before appointing that clown, plus his eejit sidekick is now "director of football" (lol) at Raith Rovers. Would Malpas walk away from that job to team up with "El Tel" again? Perhaps only at Ibrokes?

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2015, 09:49 PM
On Sportscene tonight. Will be previewing the Hibs game shortly [emoji15]

Hibtastic
07-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Wonder what pat nevin thinks of him?

hfc rd
07-03-2015, 09:53 PM

Switched it off when I saw him on tonight. Prepare to bore yourself to death listening to him.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Wonder what pat nevin thinks of him?

Did their paths cross at Motherwell at any point? Regardless I would imagine he thinks he's an absolute bell end. Like the rest of us

Boyle89
07-03-2015, 10:02 PM
I'd love to punch him in the face.

ScottM1875
07-03-2015, 10:05 PM
I'd love to punch him in the face.

I second that.

Northernhibee
07-03-2015, 10:06 PM
I'll give him a hoof in the hee haws just for variety then.

itslegaltender
07-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Man is ****ing shameless. Declaring his love for Rangers at his heart. Should never been within 100 miles of Easter Road.

Borderhibbie76
07-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Man is ****ing shameless. Declaring his love for Rangers at his heart. Should never been within 100 miles of Easter Road.

Tarting himself for the hunnery job...shameless joke of a man with a face you would never tire of punching

andrew70
07-03-2015, 10:17 PM

The man is a ****bag. Beating Rangers in the play-offs would be amazing, beating them when managed by that **** would be a dream.

I hate him! The atmosphere when he does return to ER promises to be interesting.

scuttle
07-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Was having a nice evening until I saw Butcher and heard that squinty eyed muppet mention 1902 again. Blood pressure through the roof now

The_Exile
07-03-2015, 10:20 PM
He actually gave me the boak tonight, then I thought of Stubbsy and a Scott Allan assist and I calmed down immediately. Think I might be allergic to Butcher.

Boyle89
07-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Was having a nice evening until I saw Butcher and heard that squinty eyed muppet mention 1902 again. Blood pressure through the roof now

Feel sorry for pat sandwhiched in between those two twats.

Northernhibee
07-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Butcher managing Sevco would guarantee our promotion.

leither17
07-03-2015, 10:34 PM
this twat must be loaded he is never off the telly he turns my stomach

portycabbage
07-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Feel sorry for pat sandwhiched in between those two twats.

Nobody wants to be the meat in a twat sandwich.

hfc rd
07-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Butcher managing Sevco would guarantee our promotion.

I pray he does get the job if KMcD gets punted.

Jdawg
08-03-2015, 01:02 AM
How long till we stop paying him, end of this season?

California-Hibs
08-03-2015, 03:41 AM

Thought it has been confirmed to fan groups at recent meetings that both Butcher and Malpas are no longer being paid by Hibs?

Pretty Boy
08-03-2015, 04:05 AM

Think we may have already stopped.

Bloody hope so as he's not exactly been struggling for employment since leaving us, never off the ****ing box.

Eyrie
08-03-2015, 08:21 AM
There is a shocking amount of revisionism on here.

I think we need to remember that Butcher is one of the most amazing tactical minds of our generation, with an innovative approach to man management and the structure of a club.

Leaving aside traditional football rivalries, it would be in the best interests of Scottish football for Butcher to be appointed manager at Sevco Huns immediately.

#FromTheCapital
08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
There is a shocking amount of revisionism on here.

I think we need to remember that Butcher is one of the most amazing tactical minds of our generation, with an innovative approach to man management and the structure of a club.

Leaving aside traditional football rivalries, it would be in the best interests of Scottish football for Butcher to be appointed manager at Sevco Huns immediately.

:-D I agree.

In all seriousness though, I'll be amazed if he returns to management at any club after the shambles he left us in. Surely there's nobody stupid enough to give him a managers role again?