PDA

View Full Version : 2nd spot

Ozyhibby
27-02-2015, 10:29 PM
I now believe we will finish 2nd and will finish the second half of the season as the strongest team in the Leaugue.
If we do that then I think we'll go up.

lord bunberry
27-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I now believe we will finish 2nd and will finish the second half of the season as the strongest team in the Leaugue.
I think you're right. We just need to avoid self destructing if we have a bad result. I would say we'll win most of our remaining games, but not them all.
Its time to get behind the team and drive us towards promotion.

inglisavhibs
27-02-2015, 10:35 PM

First things first, we must have the right attitude tomorrow. Alloa have surprised a few teams (including us) on their plastic pitch and they won away last week, so a high work rate from the kick off please. We are still underdogs for 2nd spot but all we can do is keep winning and hope Rangers slip up a few times.

B.H.F.C
27-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Too many times we've not followed up a good result with a win.

We weren't playing tonight but it was a good result for us. Win tomorrow, which we should, and I'm pretty confident of getting second.

Pretty Boy
27-02-2015, 10:43 PM
I've said for weeks if not months now we will finish 2nd and I stand by that.

I was very critical at the start of the season, and ultimately our slow start has cost us a shot at the league, but we have and are getting things right and have a more than decent chance of playing Premiership football again next season.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Sevco are still the overwhelming favourites for second spot.

Even if we win tomorrow, we could go into our subsequent league match two points behind them as they play two matches in that time.

If we can go into the match against them in three weeks' time, no more than a couple of points behind them, then I think we can feel more confident about finishing second.

At the moment, we're still the underdog.

jacomo
27-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Even if we win tomorrow, we could go into our subsequent league match two points behind them as they play two matches in that time.

If we can go into the match against them in three weeks' time, no more than a couple of points behind them, then I think we can feel more confident about finishing second.

:agree:

Next few games very important.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2015, 11:05 PM

Next few games very important.

We really must take nine points from our next three games, heading into the match against them.

We are playing the three weakest teams in the league in those next three fixtures so we really need to make it count.

If we drop any points over the next three games, it's going to be difficult to finish second and we probably need to beat them again next month as well.

portycabbage
27-02-2015, 11:08 PM

On current form we will finish about 10 points ahead of them, despite their games in hand (based on them getting 16 out of their last 30 points, and us getting 24 out of 30). In addition, I think we'll beat them again too. And they have a harder run in than us.

Danderhall Hibs
27-02-2015, 11:11 PM
If we keep winning and hearts turn rangers over in a few weeks the other games in hand don't matter anymore.

hibees 7062
27-02-2015, 11:11 PM

This , as long as we don't do a Hibs :greengrin

Sir David Gray
27-02-2015, 11:14 PM
On current form we will finish about 10 points ahead of them, despite their games in hand (based on them getting 16 out of their last 30 points, and us getting 24 out of 30). In addition, I think we'll beat them again too. And they have a harder run in than us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very hopeful that we can finish above them and considering how the games against them have gone so far this season, I would be gutted to finish below them.

I just don't want us to get too far ahead of ourselves yet when we're only a point in front of them just now, having played two more games.

My_Wife_Camille
27-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very hopeful that we can finish above them and considering how the games against them have gone so far this season, I would be gutted to finish below them.

I just don't want us to get too far ahead of ourselves yet when we're only a point in front of them just now, having played two more games.
I get your point but you need to calm down with this 'overwhelming favourites' chat! They are slight favourites based on their extra games maybe but not overwhelming favourites by a long shot

Sir David Gray
27-02-2015, 11:31 PM
I get your point but you need to calm down with this 'overwhelming favourites' chat! They are slight favourites based on their extra games maybe but not overwhelming favourites by a long shot

What can I say?

I went to the Sir Alex Ferguson school of mind games! :wink:

HibsNutter
27-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Surely we must be the favourites for second spot? We have all the momentum atm, being unbeaten since Falkirk away, they are on a poor run have won one of their last five games and their confidence must be very low, albeit one of the games coming against celtic. We have beaten them three times already this season. They have to play Hearts twice as well as us at Easter Road, where we have already trounced them this season.

For once, we should have confidence (but not arrogance). Tomorrow is a must win game and we need to show Alloa, along with all the other so-called "lesser sides" the respect they deserve between now and the end of the season.

portycabbage
27-02-2015, 11:41 PM

I would say your cautious optimism is sensible, but I also think gung-ho pessimism is sensible for fans of the rangers.:greengrin

I think they need a good lead over us in the next 3 weeks before we play each other to stand a chance of 2nd, as 6 of their last 9 are against Raith/QOTS/Falkirk/Yams/Us.

SteveHFC
27-02-2015, 11:43 PM
If we win the next three league games i'll start to believe we're going up.

wookie70
28-02-2015, 01:03 AM
I think we have a very good chance of second but to me finishing the last few games of the season strongly is more important than where we finish. I want to go in to the play offs on the back of three or four good results and performances. If that takes us to second then great but I don't want to stumble over the line into second playing badly. Momentum will be everything, we have it just now and if we can keep it going we have to have a great chance of going up. Lots of hurdles before then though and the Cup could actually get in our way of promotion.

Deansy
28-02-2015, 01:34 AM
Hopefully we do get it but am wary - as the number of games left gets shorter, the number of 'incidents' benefitting rangers will get longer !!.

Bobby's Cinema
28-02-2015, 07:32 AM
And if we do finish second, there's no guarantee its Rangers we'll be playing

bingo70
28-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Finishing 2nd would be nice but I don't think it's as important as folk are making out. Despite some dodgy results against them I'm pretty confident we'd beat qots or falkirk over two legs. I also think the squad is for enough to deal with those extra games.

I think the last game against the rangers is massive though, if we beat them in that match it would be a massive psychological blow for them before the play offs, if they were to win though it would give them a lot of confidence were they to meet us in the play offs.

DH1875
28-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Im hopeful we will get 2nd but lets wait till after the rangers game and we will take it from there.
I think the yams could be our problem. Can see them playing a lot of kids in their final couple of games.

Bay Area Hibees
28-02-2015, 09:24 AM
I fear they will keep some kind of momentum aided by nufc loan plsyers.

But we've got to have belief and confidence.

If worst happens just hope we hold on to AS.

sh00byd00
28-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't think they will be aided by the NUFC loanees. Their management team has been atrocious and that's been everyone's (including Hearts) saving grace this season. You could put the best players currently playing in Scotland into their squad and the management team would still be clueless.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Anyone think McCall may be in charge if the Fans win the EGM?

semaj64
28-02-2015, 09:45 AM
We should get the 2nd spot. as Stubbs has said before it is about confidence and not over confidence. He has the right attitude and got the players playing well to get us back to the SPL along with the fans backing
It was never going to be easy to get out his league first time but I am certainly more optimistic about our return and staying n the SPL.

sh00byd00
28-02-2015, 09:53 AM
I've not paid any attention to the SPL this season and it shows. I've just looked at the table and can't believe Motherwell are bottom. :greengrin There's every chance we could be facing them in any playoff.

Onion
28-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Too many times we've not followed up a good result with a win.

We weren't playing tonight but it was a good result for us. Win tomorrow, which we should, and I'm pretty confident of getting second.

:agree: We need to be ruthless when we get the chance, right up to the end of the season. Today will not decide anything, but a 4 point lead will really heap the pressure on the Huns. Of course, no point getting 2nd if we think the job is half done and don't show up for the POs.

greenginger
28-02-2015, 10:03 AM
I think King and the three bears are a cert at next Friday's meeting.

Director issues aside what can they do to improve Rangers team short term ?

1. Appoint a decent manager

2. Make emergency loan signings, but who from, players good enough to make a difference and their clubs willing to let them go on loan ?

3. Fans will be back big time and support will make a difference.

Onion
28-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Anyone think McCall may be in charge if the Fans win the EGM?

:agree: Cringe every Friday night when he rocks up to analyse the latest Hunder-performance on BT Sport. Not so much an objective analysis of the match, more a blatant pitch for the manager's job. :rolleyes:

Geo_1875
28-02-2015, 10:17 AM

2. Make emergency loan signings, but who from, players good enough to make a difference and their clubs willing to let them go on loan ?

Emergency loan signings outside the window. What emergency circumstances would let them do that? The managers *****? The players are crap? The goalkeepers been banned for gambling? I can't see it somehow. They'll be stuck with what they've got. And as long as they've got Moshni fit and available I don't see the problem.

Smartie
28-02-2015, 10:36 AM
If there is a weakness in the rules re emergency signings then you can guarantee they will try to exploit it.

I think it's too close to call and there's a lot of football to be played yet.

The Rangers are not in great form. But getting a draw last night in a tough game when they didn't play well wasn't actually a disaster when losing would have been a terrible result for them (and a superb one for Falkirk). I still think they've got some decent players and if they could pluck a bit of "togetherness" from somewhere then they could be a threat. This may happen if things go a certain way following the EGM.

There's no doubting that on our day we are a better team. But I do still think we have that soft underbelly, that ability to fritter points away through giving away silly goals, missing chances and plucking draws from the jaws of victory.

I do think I would fancy us to get most points out of the games between us, The Rangers and Hearts. We absolutely MUST get full points from the next 3 easier games though. And I wouldn't put it past us to draw at least one of them.

Getting second is a big deal. Winning three ties from those 6 quick fire games is a really big ask. I think we have pretty good squad depth but that would be tough for any team to do. Given the team fighting relegation will be deflated, down on their luck and frankly 5hitting themselves I would make whoever finishes second overwhelming favourites to go up as they'll have a bit of momentum going into the second game.

hfc rd
28-02-2015, 10:47 AM
We just need to keep winning and don't let our performances drop.

Vini1875
28-02-2015, 11:02 AM
We have to taking care of our business, because we still have mental weaknesses and lapses. I think AS will be able to keep the players focused and not worry about the huns. I think it is better for us to be chasing as the pressure is on them. We have the players to gain second and I think we will, but there are a lot of bannna skins to dodge on the road, starting with today. We have to ruthless in dispatching the teams we play.

Keith_M
28-02-2015, 11:41 AM
We could be ahead in the final Play-Off game with 1 minute to play and I still wouldn't be confident of getting promoted.

This is Hibs, remember. If there's a spectacular way to kick our support in the Baws, they'll manage it. We've seen it so many times before.

I refuse to be confident until we're 100% promoted. Then I might have a wee glass of Chardonnay, but not before :wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-02-2015, 01:13 PM
I think we have a very good chance of second but to me finishing the last few games of the season strongly is more important than where we finish. I want to go in to the play offs on the back of three or four good results and performances. If that takes us to second then great but I don't want to stumble over the line into second playing badly. Momentum will be everything, we have it just now and if we can keep it going we have to have a great chance of going up. Lots of hurdles before then though and the Cup could actually get in our way of promotion.

Sas_The_Hibby
28-02-2015, 01:30 PM
We could be ahead in the final Play-Off game with 1 minute to play and I still wouldn't be confident of getting promoted.

This is Hibs, remember. If there's a spectacular way to kick our support in the Baws, they'll manage it. We've seen it so many times before.

I refuse to be confident until we're 100% promoted. Then I might have a wee glass of Chardonnay, but not before :wink:

That would NEVER happen, surely! :greengrin

greenginger
28-02-2015, 01:55 PM
According to the Daily Record none of their directors could be ar*ed going to their game last night.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-1-rangers-1-bairns-5245910

emerald green
28-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Cliche time. Hibs just need to take it one game at a time (and win them!).

IMO the odds are going to be stacked against Hibs, because everything possible will be done to assist The Rangers back into the top flight.

Onion
28-02-2015, 02:10 PM

IMO the odds are going to be stacked against Hibs, because everything possible will be done to assist The Rangers back into the top flight.

:top marks Totally agree with this, yet no one in the media is going to point that out. It will be an open secret, generally accepted and only Hell will break loose if they fail to find themselves in the Prem.

keep the faith
28-02-2015, 02:18 PM
:agree: Cringe every Friday night when he rocks up to analyse the latest Hunder-performance on BT Sport. Not so much an objective analysis of the match, more a blatant pitch for the manager's job. :rolleyes:

He continually calls them "we" in his analysis too.

Bristolhibby
01-03-2015, 12:46 AM
:top marks Totally agree with this, yet no one in the media is going to point that out. It will be an open secret, generally accepted and only Hell will break loose if they fail to find themselves in the Prem.

League Reconstruction.

J

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=Bristolhibby;4314572]League Reconstruction.

That's why if we do end up against them in the play off its doubly important to beat them. That way if we do get to the final play off game and lose it we might still go up through reconstruction .... if the current buns go up through the play offs we can forget league reconstruction.

patlowe
01-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Looking at the fixtures I reckon the Rangers will be at least level, but could easily be above us by the time we play them. That's going to be a huge match. I still have this horrible feeling though that we are going to beat them four times in the league then lose to them in the playoffs. The atmosphere and pressure on the players and referee is going to be another level entirely come crunch time.

CallumLaidlaw
01-03-2015, 08:21 AM
I reckon when we play rangers they will be 2pts above us with 1 game still in hand (against Hearts) so a win will be huge for us and make for a very interesting run in

Keith_M
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM
TBH, finishing second is in our own hands.

We have the ability to win every remaining game.

hibsbollah
01-03-2015, 08:32 AM

Another one; I'd rather have the points in the bag than the games in hand.

Im quietly confident we'll get second place.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 08:50 AM
TBH, finishing second is in our own hands.

We have the ability to win every remaining game.

No it's not? If we win every one of our remaining games 10 nil we could still finish third.

Remember that regardless of how bad they've been the rangers will still be heavy favorites in every game they play except maybe 2 or 3. Its also pretty unlikely we'll win every week.

Alex Trager
01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
No it's not? If we win every one of our remaining games 10 nil we could still finish third.

Remember that regardless of how bad they've been the rangers will still be heavy favorites in every game they play except maybe 2 or 3. Its also pretty unlikely we'll win every week.

Na I think if we win all our games there's nothing more to it.

If hearts beat rangers, which they will cause Rangers are poo, and we win all our games we are second.

Basically what I am saying is. We can only focus on our own game which I am sure Stubbs will have the players doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
01-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Strictly speaking mathematically you're right, but if we win our remaining games we're almost certain to finish second, regardless of what the zombies do. They would have to win all their games too, including two games with Hearts.

There will be points dropped by both teams we don't expect anyway.

Moulin Yarns
01-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I reckon when we play rangers they will be 2pts above us with 1 game still in hand (against Hearts) so a win will be huge for us and make for a very interesting run in

Prediction time...

Cowdenbeath 0 v 2 Rangers

Rangers 1 v 1 Queen of the South

Hibernian 3 v 1 Livingston

Cowdenbeath 0 v 3 Hibernian

Rangers 2 v 0 Livingston

Ranger 2 v 0 Alloa

Which means when we play them it is level on points with Rangers 1 game in hand against Hearts.

whoever wins it has a huge psychological advantage.

Col2
01-03-2015, 10:51 AM
It's very tight and likely to be up until beginning of May. Sevco have games in hand, we have a small lead and better form.

One factor not being discussed I guess because it's so uncertain....is what bounce (if any) they will get if/when they win the EGM?

Assuming they win it it's certain attendances will increase and they may experience a feel good factor in the club. Will they a point a new manager and if so how long will it take them eg in time for game against us?

They won't be able to bring any players in but will a new manager get more from them? Or as we experienced 95% of them out of contract will know they are out the door in the summer regardless of new manager?

They still have 3-4 of Newcastle loanees to come in... But then again new regime and new manager might send them back given they are Ashley's boys.

Lots and lots at that club to happen but I am right here right now more interested on any positive or hopefully negative impact on the field.

greenginger
01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Rangers can still bring in players on emergency temporary transfers.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat19january2015_1422995033.pdf

Page 111

jdships
01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
We have to taking care of our business, because we still have mental weaknesses and lapses. I think AS will be able to keep the players focused and not worry about the huns. I think it is better for us to be chasing as the pressure is on them. We have the players to gain second and I think we will, but there are a lot of bannna skins to dodge on the road, starting with today. We have to ruthless in dispatching the teams we play.

That's exactly as I see it
All Hibs FC can do is keep winning !!!!! :greengrin

WillowbraeHibby
01-03-2015, 11:19 AM
That's exactly as I see it
All Hibs FC can do is keep winning !!!!! :greengrin

Col2
01-03-2015, 11:26 AM
The Rangers game at ER in 3 weeks is now looking absolutely pivotal.

We must fill the ground. We as fans must arm twist and encourage everyone we know to get to Easter road for this game and hopefully the run in. Fine margins and we know how noisy we can be.

bingo70
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
The Rangers game at ER in 3 weeks is now looking absolutely pivotal.

We must fill the ground. We as fans must arm twist and encourage everyone we know to get to Easter road for this game and hopefully the run in. Fine margins and we know how noisy we can be.

I think we should limit the number of tickets given to the rangers as well.

Phil D. Rolls
01-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Ashley will recall his players won't he?

NAE NOOKIE
01-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Rangers can still bring in players on emergency temporary transfers.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat19january2015_1422995033.pdf

Page 111

Cant open the PDF ..... But that aside exactly what would the emergency be? The Zombies probably have a bigger squad than us or the Yams.

emerald green
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
Another one; I'd rather have the points in the bag than the games in hand.

Im quietly confident we'll get second place.

I really do hope you're right. Watching what has gone on in the past in Scottish football, and what still goes on today, particularly as far as The Rangers is concerned has made me a tad cynical unfortunately.

It's not just getting second place though. There would still be a massive job to be done. I think Hibs would still have to overcome the Ibrox club in a play-off, and I wonder if Hibs would really get a fair crack of the whip in that play off by the officials, given the pressure that would be placed upon them? Are they really going to award Hibs a penalty at Ibrox, or send off a Rangers player? More likely to be the other way around IMO. It's this that bothers me.

There's no doubt in my mind which club those in positions of power and influence in the game in Scotland would wish to see promoted. Back to Old Firm games next season - more TV money, more chance of sponsorship deals.

OK, so lets say I'm being overly cynical and pessimistic, and Hibs do achieve second place and negotiate the minefield I outlined above. They will then have to defeat an SPFL club probably fighting for its top flight status. I noticed all the bottom clubs in the SPFL won yesterday, so it doesn't look like any of them have chucked in the towel yet, unlike Butcher's team last season.

It's not impossible for Hibs to gain promotion this season, but it's a big ask.

It would give me great pleasure to see Hibs get out of this league, as I believe they are a SPFL club in the wrong league and would deserve to be promoted before a joke of a club like The Rangers. But the disaster of relegation last season has placed the club in a very difficult situation to get out of.

greenginger
01-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Cant open the PDF ..... But that aside exactly what would the emergency be? The Zombies probably have a bigger squad than us or the Yams.

Emergency signing is a bit of a misnomer.

It is just like last October when we thought we were going to get Griffiths back on loan.

These short term loans are only available to teams in the Championship, 1st and 2nd divisions.

Can't see any players currently playing in Scotland being made available that would improve their current squad. However , King may look down south or abroad just to show the Peepul they are back where they belong !

portycabbage
01-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Emergency signing is a bit of a misnomer.

It is just like last October when we thought we were going to get Griffiths back on loan.

These short term loans are only available to teams in the Championship, 1st and 2nd divisions.

Can't see any players currently playing in Scotland being made available that would improve their current squad. However , King may look down south or abroad just to show the Peepul they are back where they belong !

The reason we could have got Griffiths is he was at a Scottish club - short term/emergency loans can't be cross border, so King can look all he wants!