PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian v Celtic 1978

Spike Mandela
27-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Remarkable enough for the 4-1 scoreline and Jock Stein dealing with pitch invading fans the way a manager should, the Mike MacDonald Karate kick on a Celtic forward in 47secs is hilarious. Archie MacPherson then saying "the Celtic forward really ran into him".:greengrin

http://youtu.be/PcZ0yrTT45c

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Mike Conroy.

Another in the long list of exciting Hibs signings.....whose high-point was actually signing the contract itself. It was all downhill from there.:rolleyes:

lord bunberry
27-02-2015, 10:39 AM
What year did the seats go into the cow shed? I'd always thought it was in the 80s, but from that video I'm wrong about that.

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2015, 10:45 AM
What year did the seats go into the cow shed? I'd always thought it was in the 80s, but from that video I'm wrong about that.

They were definitely there when we played Juve in (?) 74.

I remember being there with my Granda.

cabbageandribs1875
27-02-2015, 10:49 AM

and they were deffo there in 73' v Leeds :)

Kato
27-02-2015, 10:56 AM

Around about the time of the ties against FC Besa and Sporting Lisbon.

brog
27-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I have absolutely no memory of that game whatsoever yet I was still living in Edinburgh at the time & very rarely missed a match. I suppose 4-1 wins over Celtc must have been a regular occurrence! :wink:

erin go bragh
27-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Ah the green top with white sleeves . Majestic

Ggtth

Tom Hart RIP
27-02-2015, 12:15 PM

The last time I remember standing in the shed was the 3-0 win over Rangers in the dryburgh cup semi. Worst night of violence I have ever seen and I think the decision to put benches into the shed was made due to that game. Great game and atmosphere though.

heretoday
27-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Magic. Thanks for posting that. I feel better for going back to those fun days again. I would have been in the north stand enclosure and probably half cut like everyone else.

There were some great terracing wags about - and I don't mean glamour girls!

GreenLake
27-02-2015, 12:22 PM

I remember we went 2.1 up but the euphoria seemed to last for a few seconds before Mazzola equalized. I was in those seats on the back row that night.

Keith_M
27-02-2015, 12:24 PM
The last time I remember standing in the shed was the 3-0 win over Rangers in the dryburgh cup semi. Worst night of violence I have ever seen and I think the decision to put benches into the shed was made due to that game. Great game and atmosphere though.

I think you're right, as my Dad has mentioned that game before and he reckons the seats went in shortly after.

72/73 season maybe?

KeithTheHibby
27-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Great highlights. Terrible goal celebrations mind you!

Numptie
27-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Great game, great fighting. We beat them agian a few weeks later in Pat Stanton's testimonial.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Remember it well, Celtic were truly abysmal that season and I think Stein left not long after that, great to see wee Alex McGee scoring the 4th, a great busy wee player who saldy never made the cut.

Regarding Conroy, he must have been one of the worst ever signings from them, absolutely hopeless, think he went on to play in the ROI when he left us.

Big Tony Galente as well...lol...what a character he was.

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Remember it well, Celtic were truly abysmal that season and I think Stein left not long after that, great to see wee Alex McGee scoring the 4th, a great busy wee player who saldy never made the cut.

Regarding Conroy, he must have been one of the worst ever signings from them, absolutely hopeless, think he went on to play in the ROI when he left us.

Big Tony Galente as well...lol...what a character he was.

Had to Google Conroy. He only played about 30 games for us, then went to Blackpool. He ended up in Ireland, as you say.

I remember being really excited when he joined us, but what a let-down he was.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2015, 02:31 PM
I think I'm right in saying we beat Celtic to a European spot that year.
A late Arthur Duncan equaliser against Aberdeen put them a place below us in the final game, consigning them to the Anglo Scottish cup....don't know how many times they ever missed out on Europe post 1965.

Hiber-nation
27-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I think I'm right in saying we beat Celtic to a European spot that year.
A late Arthur Duncan equaliser against Aberdeen put them a place below us in the final game, consigning them to the Anglo Scottish cup....don't know how many times they ever missed out on Europe post 1965.

I think you are right, looping header by Arthur in a game we weren't really in for the most part. Couldn't really believe we were in Europe as we didn't have that great a team.

I remember the celtc game well, my 20th birthday. Bit of bother in the North Enclosure that day, vaguely remember getting knocked over and trampled on...

Killiehibbie
27-02-2015, 04:03 PM
What year did the seats go into the cow shed? I'd always thought it was in the 80s, but from that video I'm wrong about that.I would say some time in 72 as i'm sure they were there at my first game and i'd heard stories about what went on before them.

One Day Soon
27-02-2015, 05:09 PM
As has already been noted the goal celebrations are the truly shocking element of this video. I mean did we do no work on those in training at all?

Score a goal, switch to semi jogging pace and then stick your right arm in the air in a kind of (but not actually) get it up you style.

Still, loved those old goalposts and nets.

gaz1875
27-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Was this not the game the Celtic fans invaded the pitch to try and get the game abandoned? not watched the clip so this may sound a bit stupid.

Just spotted it was lol ignore me :rolleyes:

marinello59
27-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure I can see myself in the cowshed there. I remember that game well, obviously I didn't really drink then. :greengrin

Ray_
27-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I would say some time in 72 as i'm sure they were there at my first game and i'd heard stories about what went on before them.

It was in 1972, it was after a couple of early season games against the infirm, where there was serious crowd trouble, Tom Hart closed the shed and just reopened it for the remaining European games that season. The benches went in after that and the atmosphere was seriously lacking at ER from then on, until they covered the east.

IberianHibernian
27-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I think the Cave (where did this " Shed " stuff come from ? Shed was at Tynecastle or Chelsea ) was closed for Derby early in 72/73 ( maybe last time we didn`t have white sleeves with home strip till this season ? - all green shirt and 2-0 win ) and then they started putting seats in . I remember being in the Cave at Besa game and Cave was half seats ( still not open to public ) and half terracing . Previous round against Sporting Lisbon pretty sure Cave was all terracing so maybe Derby was straight after it ?

Deansy
28-02-2015, 12:46 AM
Archie - 'And some young people have run onto the pitch' !. A lot easier than 'And some young Celtic-fans have run onto the pitch', eh Archie !!

Liberal Hibby
28-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Cheers Spike for posting - brings back some great memories.

Isn't the reason why Celtic fans invaded the pitch was that they had done so at a match earlier in the season - and successfully got the game abandoned - when we were leading?

Or is my memory not what it used to be?

The_Sauz
28-02-2015, 03:05 AM

Isn't the reason why Celtic fans invaded the pitch was that they had done so at a match earlier in the season - and successfully got the game abandoned - when we were leading?

A game a parkhead when Hibs were winning 1-0 was abandoned due to fog.....well that was the official reason :rolleyes:
The real reason was that the Celtic fans invaded the pitch (twice) and delayed the game long enough for the fog to come down! The replay ended 1-1 with Shades scoring a screamer.

gorgie greens
28-02-2015, 06:05 AM
A game a parkhead when Hibs were winning 1-0 was abandoned due to fog.....well that was the official reason :rolleyes:
The real reason was that the Celtic fans invaded the pitch (twice) and delayed the game long enough for the fog to come down! The replay ended 1-1 with Shades scoring a screamer.

your memory seems better than mines does but i though we were 2-0 up in that game,anyway i do remember the game at ER and the highlight for me was Supermac giving the boy the kick in the knackers :greengrin

marinello59
28-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Rangers fans had done it a few weeks previously in an attempt to get a match they were losing abandoned. That wasn't against us though, may have been at Fir Park.

gorgie greens
28-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Rangers fans had done it a few weeks previously in an attempt to get a match they were losing abandoned. That wasn't against us though, may have been at Fir Park.

goes to say "once a cheat always a cheat"

Hamish
28-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Had to Google Conroy. He only played about 30 games for us, then went to Blackpool. He ended up in Ireland, as you say.

I remember being really excited when he joined us, but what a let-down he was.

IIRC CWG he didn't want to sign for us and had to be persuaded by his father.

MKHIBEE
28-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Remember that night well, got a few kicks from the unwashed and missed the last to Peebles, got one to Burdiehouse and walked the rest.

CropleyWasGod
28-02-2015, 08:41 AM
IIRC CWG he didn't want to sign for us and had to be persuaded by his father.
That rings a bell, actually. Might explain why he was so poor :)

bigwheel
28-02-2015, 08:41 AM
I think the Cave (where did this " Shed " stuff come from ? Shed was at Tynecastle or Chelsea ) was closed for Derby early in 72/73 ( maybe last time we didn`t have white sleeves with home strip till this season ? - all green shirt and 2-0 win ) and then they started putting seats in . I remember being in the Cave at Besa game and Cave was half seats ( still not open to public ) and half terracing . Previous round against Sporting Lisbon pretty sure Cave was all terracing so maybe Derby was straight after it ?

I wasn't at that game, but are you sure we wore that strip? I thought the only time we wore all green, was against sporting Lisbon - A game I did attend..

Hiber-nation
28-02-2015, 09:20 AM
I wasn't at that game, but are you sure we wore that strip? I thought the only time we wore all green, was against sporting Lisbon - A game I did attend..

We definitely did but I've no idea why. I saw a photo of that game when I was looking through some old programmes recently.

I'm sure Alex Cropley scored a beauty from a tight angle.

Tom Hart RIP
28-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Funny, I'd never heard it called the cave. It was always the cowshed for me and pals. (Peter Cormacks book is called from the cowshed to the cop)
It used to be mental when rangers and Celtic came through and to be honest took the majority of the shed. There was only a stairway between the fans and there were regular charges back and forward.You had to keep an eye out for bottles and cans filled with piss being thrown. My old man got me a hard workie's hat which I painted green with Hibs slogans on it.
It saved me at Tynie one day when a golf ball bounced off it although it hit guy next to me who got carried out.
I also remember the all green jersey in the derby. It was because Hearts had their Ajax style top and most people still has black and white tele and it could have been a clash.

Jumbo
28-02-2015, 10:28 AM

We also wore the all green top in home leg against Hadjuk Split

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2015, 10:37 AM
If i remember correctly, the bench seating was only partly in for the Sporting Lisbon game, which by the way is the best atmosphere i have ever been at for a Hibs game. :top marks

Keith_M
28-02-2015, 10:43 AM
If i remember correctly, the bench seating was only partly in for the Sporting Lisbon game, which by the way is the best atmosphere i have ever been at for a Hibs game. :top marks

Did you throw any pies at anybody or did you reserve that for playing Rangers?

blackpoolhibs
28-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Did you throw any pies at anybody or did you reserve that for playing Rangers?

Just for John Greig and his bubble perm.

Keith_M
28-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Just for John Greig and his bubble perm.

Fairy Nuff

:greengrin

bigwheel
28-02-2015, 11:08 AM
We also wore the all green top in home leg against Hadjuk Split

ok, was there too...but young, so can't recall that....one of my favourite hibs tops though!