PDA

View Full Version : who remembers climbing into to games, at ER.?

monktonharp
26-02-2015, 10:46 PM
just a thought about not getting tickets for games, home or away these days but I do remember climbing in from the old carpark area at Hawkhill and sneaking in. also do remember lift overs, obviously, at the wee turnstyles....... those were the days, when a laddie twice the size o' you said, can you gie me a liftover mister?:greengrin: another thing I recal was climbing over the roofs of the toilets(I think) between the dunbar end into the East Terracing. did that happen? or have I dreamt that?

Bostonhibby
26-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Along the wall at the side of the old school got you into the lower west enclosure in the late 60s and early 70s. There was a way in at the back of the Dunbar end that involved climbing on a big gate with wire at the top. Used to be a lot of kids trying but I don't recall many successes!

Iggy Pope
26-02-2015, 11:06 PM
I only ever climbed into one game in my puff. Clyde away at Shawfield. 1980 league cup tie and it involved dreeping into the bogs through a hole in the roof....Thatchers Britain!

Do remember getting a lift over the turnstiles at Easter Road though. Man that was a rush.

bigwheel
26-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Climbed in 3 times in my life. At ER for Best's home debut against Partick Thistle, at Partick thistle via the waste ground behind the old away end, and at Love Street when someone actually had a ladder outside.....[emoji4]

Ronniekirk
26-02-2015, 11:17 PM
I had an uncle that stayed at 147 Easter Road When we visited from Fife he used to walk me round and asked some to lift me over Think the first game was a Celtic game and both sets of fans were packed into the Cowshed .thought I was going to be crushed in the sway But as another poster said what a Buzz that was Dont think I saw much of the game though

Viva_Palmeiras
26-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Seem to remember the Celtc fans having a liking of scaling the wall at the away end more than other supports...

monktonharp
27-02-2015, 12:02 AM
I do have a vague memory about an away game though, when we had to replay Dundee in a cup game at Dens. we drew 3-3 at Easter Road, and went up there on the Wednesday. 30,000+ iirc. we were in a huge queue, and guys leaning over from a wall above us, offering a help over for half a dollar (12.5 pence in new money) .we managed to get in, 20 mins late and some barsteward had stole my mate's wallet from his back pocket. unless we were so pished he'd lost it :greengrin........never mind, we got gubbed 3- nil.

monktonharp
27-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Seem to remember the Celtc fans having a liking of scaling the wall at the away end more than other supports... you dinnae really like Celtic, dae ye?:wink:

NAE NOOKIE
27-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Ye awe owe Hibs money ..... am tellin' http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/tsk%20tsk.gif

southern hibby
27-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Back off the old cowshed where it was long grass and small bushes me and a school pal found a big dip I'n the ground that was over run with grass. We used to climb over the wall even though it was high and hid I'n that dip till it started to get busy.

Done it for about 3 seasons every home game ( naughty boy me ).

GGTTH

majorhibs
27-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Back off the old cowshed where it was long grass and small bushes me and a school pal found a big dip I'n the ground that was over run with grass. We used to climb over the wall even though it was high and hid I'n that dip till it started to get busy.

Done it for about 3 seasons every home game ( naughty boy me ).

GGTTH

Between ages 8-12 missed 2 hame games cos the parents dragged me away on holidays, & in tht time paid in once on my birthday aged 11 cos I was flush to experience goin thru the turnstiles to see what it was like. In them days, if you stood outside as a laddie, somebody lifted you over & you were inside if you wanted to or not. Once goinon supporters buses aged 12+, mind climbing into everywhere except the 2 cheeks of the same behind, could never skive into the weedge no matter how much effort. Mind, goin there in those days wi Hibs colours, makin it back unscathed was a big enough achievement, skivin in would have been secondary, but never made it anytime. Seen a very few good results, tho! :flag:

superfurryhibby
27-02-2015, 07:16 AM
When I moved to Leith, aged 8, that was it for me. I was off to games with laddies from Elbe St. The only time I paid in between 8-16 was when I went with my dad. Which didn't include games against hearts, Celtic or Rangers.

The passage into the old north stand enclosure, via the school, too high and too many stewards. Over the wall was a challenge if you left it late and there were police etc around. Usually in by climbing up the gap between wall and gate. When I got to 15 or so you could take a direct run at the wall and do a kind of one footed bounce and get a hand on the top. Seem to remember doing this en masse a few times.

I climbed in to hundreds of games. Sporting Lisbon, FC Besa, Hadjuk Split, Liverpool, were highlights of our European nights.

The ultimate break in was mid 70's and a BBC van with a ladder on the side. We had gone up well early, before the gates had opened. Ladder was lifted and six laddies were in. We hid in the bushes on the slope of the back of the terrace and watched as mayhem ensued over the next 15 mins. Lots of boys in but chased by police. Sat tight until it was safe to emerge.

Seveno
27-02-2015, 08:07 AM
My introduction to Hibs was being lifted over by my Dad or older brother and this continued until I was about 14/15 I think. I had 3 brothers and money was always tight in the family so I would not have been able to see Hibs if my Dad had to pay. I can't begin to imagine how much money I have put into Hibs in the intervening years so it has been a sound investment for the club.

We need to do more to encourage youngsters along to the club and breed the loyal fans of the future.

HappyAsHellas
27-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Along the wall at the side of the old school got you into the lower west enclosure in the late 60s and early 70s. There was a way in at the back of the Dunbar end that involved climbing on a big gate with wire at the top. Used to be a lot of kids trying but I don't recall many successes!

There was a telegraph pole on the right hand side of the gate at the corner. A copper told us to shimmy up the anchor wire that run down diagonally from the pole. You still had to be careful with the broken glass cemented into the top of the wall though. This was obviously only attempted once you got a bit too big for a lift over. I never paid to get in for years as I think it was a tanner (2.5p) to get in and that was all the pocket money I had.

sleeping giant
27-02-2015, 08:33 AM
I used to get a lift over from my Dad or I would crawl under in the 70's.
I'm pretty sure I was lifted over at the game against San Jose even though it was only 50p to get in .

Bill Milne
27-02-2015, 08:37 AM
I do have a vague memory about an away game though, when we had to replay Dundee in a cup game at Dens. we drew 3-3 at Easter Road, and went up there on the Wednesday. 30,000+ iirc. we were in a huge queue, and guys leaning over from a wall above us, offering a help over for half a dollar (12.5 pence in new money) .we managed to get in, 20 mins late and some barsteward had stole my mate's wallet from his back pocket. unless we were so pished he'd lost it :greengrin........never mind, we got gubbed 3- nil.

Me and my mate were standing at the gates at this game, looking at the huge queue stretching away past Tannadice when a fat polis sergeant pushed us into the gates, moaning about keeping a bit of order. I thought this was a result until the game kicked off and we realised Hibs had failed to turn up!!

PeeJay
27-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Never climbed a wall, but was turntile-lifted a few times by my father and when he wasn't there and I was with my mates, by any "old guy" I asked ... wouldn't be allowed now, I guess!

Dashing Bob S
27-02-2015, 08:47 AM
I had an uncle that stayed at 147 Easter Road When we visited from Fife he used to walk me round and asked some to lift me over Think the first game was a Celtic game and both sets of fans were packed into the Cowshed .thought I was going to be crushed in the sway But as another poster said what a Buzz that was Dont think I saw much of the game though

I had one that kept lifting me over the turnstiles at Tynecastle as a young boy.

Thus I started going to Easter Road.

Vini1875
27-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Did a lot of climbing and dodging stewards. Seemed like there was a couple of hundred street urchins doing the same thing between 1975 and 1979. Shame on me but I even climbed into Pat Stanton's testimonal. Climbed into tynie as well through the brewery over a roof and down into the toilets in the corner of the shed. That was a spiderman type mission to get in that way.

Phil MaGlass
27-02-2015, 09:03 AM
climbed over at the Dunbar end but got caught by a copper and got launched, crawled under a turnstile and lifted over once or twice at ER, remember climbing over a back wall at Dunfermline when Best played, copper also tried to launch me but a few fellow Hibbies told him where to go. great days, when fitba was fitba, nae mobiles, seats,pizza or Petrie:greengrin.

StevieC
27-02-2015, 09:07 AM
Climbing into games was pretty much a done thing as a kid.

Away games were always interesting, especially at the stadiums that had gardens backing onto the stadium (Kilmarnock, Alloa, etc.). Hopefully there was someone on your bus that had done it before, and knew the best routes, otherwise you were basically in and out peoples gardens until you found a spot to climb.

Tom Hart RIP
27-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Got a few lift overs and remember climbing over wall once but not to see a game.
Hundred of us queued up to get Scotland v England tickets for the Ray Clemence game and someone brought a ball so we climbed into school playground and had a game. My idiot brother in law booted the ball over the wall into the area between the old stand and the red brick wall. He was too fat to climb over so I had to. That was about 4am.

InchHibby
27-02-2015, 10:48 AM
just a thought about not getting tickets for games, home or away these days but I do remember climbing in from the old carpark area at Hawkhill and sneaking in. also do remember lift overs, obviously, at the wee turnstyles....... those were the days, when a laddie twice the size o' you said, can you gie me a liftover mister?:greengrin: another thing I recal was climbing over the roofs of the toilets(I think) between the dunbar end into the East Terracing. did that happen? or have I dreamt that?

Me and my mates used to climb over the old sliding gates at the now Famous Five end.
We would climb over about ten in the morning on the day of the match and hide in the then
Old brick built toilets just behind the gates.
On numerous occasions one of the ground staff used to come round in order to chuck anyone out,
but more often than not he would tell us to stay within the toilets until the turnstiles opened.

jdships
27-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Never climbed a wall, but was turntile-lifted a few times by my father and when he wasn't there and I was with my mates, by any "old guy" I asked ... wouldn't be allowed now, I guess!

That's it for me back in the late forties .
If all else failed they used to open the exit gates at half time and we would see the second half for free !!
Happy days !

PeeJay
27-02-2015, 11:02 AM
That's it for me back in the late forties .
If all else failed they used to open the exit gates at half time and we would see the second half for free !!
Happy days !

... forgot about the exit gates, they were still doing that in the 60s...:greengrin

MSK
27-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Used to skive in on a regular basis ...probably stopped when I scaled a wall behind the old shed (FF) & stuck to it because someone in their wisdom decided to coat it in sticky vandal proof paint/grease ...ruined my day & also my £2.99p What Everyone Wants jacket !! :grr:

Keith_M
27-02-2015, 01:31 PM

IIRC, the favoured spot was on the corner between the Dunbar End and the Car Park. The wall was much lower at that point.

Also, I well remember near the end of matches in the early 80s, a few of us would sneak down the back of the Main Terrace and climb into the Dunbar End over a small fence beside the toilets.

This sometimes resulted in fighting with the away Fans but mostly just standing close to them, with each side acting the Billy Big Baws.

Golden Bear
27-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I was at a game when a then very very young Hibs supporter (currently a St Johnstone striker) was evicted from the stadium after his Dad squeezed him through the railings which separated the cowshed from the open terracing. He must hold the record for the youngest ever supporter to be thrown out of the ground! His Dad kicked up all hell with the stewards but they were not having it and both son and Dad ended up missing the entire game.

A sad but true story.

:greengrin

WillowbraeHibby
27-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Be as well coming clean and admitting as a "Youngster", entering Easter Road withoot paying. Only done it a couple o' times, but still feel after all these years, a tad guilty...

Alfred E Newman
27-02-2015, 03:24 PM
I was at a game when a then very very young Hibs supporter (currently a St Johnstone striker) was evicted from the stadium after his Dad squeezed him through the railings which separated the cowshed from the open terracing. He must hold the record for the youngest ever supporter to be thrown out of the ground! His Dad kicked up all hell with the stewards but they were not having it and both son and Dad ended up missing the entire game.

A sad but true story.

:greengrin

Remember that well!

gorgie greens
28-02-2015, 07:20 AM
we were playing the yams away and i climbed in and got through a small gap in the fence at Tynecastle at the school end,i have trouble getting through the turnstyle now and thats when i pay

lucky
28-02-2015, 07:34 AM
We regularly tried to sleek in to all home games from the age of 12. Away games were always a bit easier excepte Hearts and the Old Firm. We used to be gutted if we had to pay in

woody0-7
28-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Had a few lift overs at the old turnstiles but never acctually climbed in, my mate and I were at hibs as boys and were allowed in cowshed for free but used to try to get into the east under the fence at the corner flag usually with success I might add

superfurryhibby
28-02-2015, 07:56 AM
We regularly tried to sleek in to all home games from the age of 12. Away games were always a bit easier excepte Hearts and the Old Firm. We used to be gutted if we had to pay in

Tynie was almost Fort Knoxesque. The school end could be done via the large spike topped railings, you had to be there early to have a chance.

Bairns these days miss out on the adventures of my generation. Even the urban poor know relatively little hardship with their shoes on their feet, video games and centrally heated houses with inside toilets

Hillsidehibby
28-02-2015, 10:10 AM
I remember climbing OUT of a reserve game late 60's

Bostonhibby
28-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Ye awe owe Hibs money ..... am tellin' http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/tsk%20tsk.gif

:faf: Will we get backdated loyalty points in we confess and pay up? :greengrin

WindyMiller
28-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Being wee, I was still getting a ift over well into my mid-teens.

I remember a few of us getting off early from football training and climbing the big gates behind the shed.
Arrived Just in time to see the first go in against Napoli!

mca
28-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Remember my First Derby.. 1986.. New year one but rescheduled about the 6th Jan..

My Dad was asking about for a spare Child Ticket and a copper handed him 1or 2 tickets... The copper explained that he was going to the Derby but had to work on the date for the rescheduled... ( Big Thanks.. if your reading.. )

After entry to the East.. we noticed loads of laddies coming over the wall with cuts on their hands... !!!

Think there was a Ladder involved and they just came pouring over and one laddie was so cut so bad he got carted off to the medical or maybe the st johns ambulance ??

They guys really did crawl over Broken Glass to Watch Hibs.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

iwasthere1972
28-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Never scaled any walls but had plenty lift overs until I was 14 or 15.