PDA

View Full Version : NHC SFA and Qatar

The Pointer
23-02-2015, 10:37 PM
In today's Herald it states that a partnership with the 2022 World Cup hosts was agreed following a visit to Qatar by a delegation from the SFA. This comprised Stewart Regan, Campbell Ogilvie and, ahem, Rod Petrie.

"The Qatari FA have revealed they have now established close links with the SFA.

Vice-President Saud Abdulaziz al Mohannadi said, "We had excellent discussions with the Scottish FA delegation and we have many areas of common interest."

However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup. Very little progress has being made in changing matters and some workers have been there for many years, unable to regain their passports or obtain an exit visa.

In the ideal world I would have preferred it if the SFA had refused to have anything to do with this regime, as it's accepted by most people that awarding them the right to host the competition was a stitch-up. Only trouble is, if we qualify and we'd adopted this stance we'd likely have found it impossible to get accommodation and training facilities anywhere near the UAE.

It's a no-win situation and the threesome's collective arm has been pretty well twisted up their back.

KWJ
23-02-2015, 10:44 PM
When I read about this it was the shocking working conditions that sprang to mind.

Pete
23-02-2015, 10:46 PM
What's the point in doing this?

Ronniekirk
23-02-2015, 10:49 PM
In today's Herald it states that a partnership with the 2022 World Cup hosts was agreed following a visit to Qatar by a delegation from the SFA. This comprised Stewart Regan, Campbell Ogilvie and, ahem, Rod Petrie.

"The Qatari FA have revealed they have now established close links with the SFA.

Vice-President Saud Abdulaziz al Mohannadi said, "We had excellent discussions with the Scottish FA delegation and we have many areas of common interest."

However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup. Very little progress has being made in changing matters and some workers have been there for many years, unable to regain their passports or obtain an exit visa.

In the ideal world I would have preferred it if the SFA had refused to have anything to do with this regime, as it's accepted by most people that awarding them the right to host the competition was a stitch-up. Only trouble is, if we qualify and we'd adopted this stance we'd likely have found it impossible to get accommodation and training facilities anywhere near the UAE.

It's a no-win situation and the threesome's collective arm has been pretty well twisted up their back.

Watched the piece and it showed what passed for living quarters for these poor migrant slaves .in counties where there is so much wealth there really is no excuse apart from greed to treat the labour force like this ,but sadly every one is aware of it and turn a blind eye and the story will get forgotten about

monktonharp
23-02-2015, 11:46 PM
Watched the piece and it showed what passed for living quarters for these poor migrant slaves .in counties where there is so much wealth there really is no excuse apart from greed to treat the labour force like this ,but sadly every one is aware of it and turn a blind eye and the story will get forgotten about:agree: Saw a bit about it tonight, and it's like a step back in time regarding the safety issues for a start. It will probably end up with more deaths on construction with the new stadia, than actually happened between the 2 working Forth Bridges!. As for the living accomodations of the workforce, that is totally disgusting but the most unreal and absolutely abhorrent part is that companies can retain a person's passport, on a whim!.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2015, 12:09 AM
FIFA obviously had no idea about conditions in Qatar before they awarded them the tournament, I'm sure if they had it would have gone elsewhere and I'm positive that money was the least of the awarding committees considerations. I am also convinced that now the Qatar government have been made aware of these terrible conditions, which I'm sure they knew nothing about, they will be moving heaven & earth to put things right.

Anyway I must go, the Rolls Royce has arrived to take me to my private jet, I'm spending the next few days on my private island with Natalie Dormer.

monktonharp
24-02-2015, 12:21 AM
FIFA obviously had no idea about conditions in Qatar before they awarded them the tournament, I'm sure if they had it would have gone elsewhere and I'm positive that money was the least of the awarding committees considerations. I am also convinced that now the Qatar government have been made aware of these terrible conditions, which I'm sure they knew nothing about, they will be moving heaven & earth to put things right.

Anyway I must go, the Rolls Royce has arrived to take me to my private jet, I'm spending the next few days on my private island with Natalie Dormer. ok, have fun. meanwhile back at the ranch......the workers will get out of their cramped and dismal surroundings, turn out for work, fall into bed and start another day. although, this government you mention, which is run by a few that can jump into THEIR Rolls Royce, and nip doon tae the shop for a half loaf anytime, will probably consider what you have said.

The_Sauz
24-02-2015, 12:24 AM
However, a report on BBC news tonight claims slave labour is still being used to build stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup Yet they don't report the same in this country....Zero hour contracts & minimum wage!

lord bunberry
24-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Why do the SFA need to be sending a delegation out there 8 years before the competition is due to take place? Given that we've not qualified for a World Cup since 1998 you'd think they'd have better things to do.

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2015, 12:45 AM
ok, have fun. meanwhile back at the ranch......the workers will get out of their cramped and dismal surroundings, turn out for work, fall into bed and start another day. although, this government you mention, which is run by a few that can jump into THEIR Rolls Royce, and nip doon tae the shop for a half loaf anytime, will probably consider what you have said.

Ye gods mate ....... ever heard of sarcasm.

monktonharp
24-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Ye gods mate ....... ever heard of sarcasm.of course I have, and noticed yours immediately but felt compelled to register the facts that are actually happening. expected your quick response, and applaud it. :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2015, 01:18 AM
of course I have, and noticed yours immediately but felt compelled to register the facts that are actually happening. expected your quick response, and applaud it. :wink:

Fair enough mate :agree:

Leaving the subtle approach behind here's my blunt view of it. Its a bloody disgrace that FIFA even considered a bid from a medieval backwater like Qatar, no matter how much money the place floats on. Proof if it was ever needed that FIFA under Blatter is corrupt to its very core.

Its an utter embarrassment that the SFA is trying to get cozy with them, we should be leading the fight to get the tournament moved not making it look like we endorse it. Reports about working conditions were circulating a year ago and still little has changed and nothing at all on non stadium sites. I for one don't want to see Scotland run out on a pitch built on the bodies of dead workers who were little better than slave labour. They might as well award the 2026 world cup to North Korea or whatever part of the world ISIS are in control of by then.

monktonharp
24-02-2015, 01:28 AM
Fair enough mate :agree:

Leaving the subtle approach behind here's my blunt view of it. Its a bloody disgrace that FIFA even considered a bid from a medieval backwater like Qatar, no matter how much money the place floats on. Proof if it was ever needed that FIFA under Blatter is corrupt to its very core.

Its an utter embarrassment that the SFA is trying to get cozy with them, we should be leading the fight to get the tournament moved not making it look like we endorse it. Reports about working conditions were circulating a year ago and still little has changed and nothing at all on non stadium sites. I for one don't want to see Scotland run out on a pitch built on the bodies of dead workers who were little better than slave labour. They might as well award the 2026 world cup to North Korea or whatever part of the world ISIS are in control of by then.:top marks

NAE NOOKIE
24-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Why do the SFA need to be sending a delegation out there 8 years before the competition is due to take place? Given that we've not qualified for a World Cup since 1998 you'd think they'd have better things to do.

Part of the supposed attraction of the Qatar bid was that the majority of the stadiums were to be dismantled after the tournament and rebuilt in poor mostly African countries for free ... what else can a country of just over 2,000,000 people do with 9 brand new stadiums all with a capacity of over 40,000

Given the pending troubles the SFA are going to have with Hampden perhaps they think they can get a ready made replacement if they kiss the right backsides. The more I think about it the more I think I might not be far off the mark.

TowerHibs
24-02-2015, 03:59 AM

Large part of SFA blazers is networking. I personally don't have a problem with them kissing ***** of severely wealthy rich and influential people such as Qatar.

Morally not too clever but in the harsh world of business it's probably beneficial

CB_NO3
24-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Sure they were just finding out, where the beer stalls would be, should we qualify.

BT58
24-02-2015, 07:16 AM
On bbc now. Saying that tournament to be played November / December.
Quatar never mentioned this at the time.
Uefa going nuts as their CL is full flow at this time

Jones28
24-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Absolute shambles.

Billy Whizz
24-02-2015, 08:53 AM
On bbc now. Saying that tournament to be played November / December.
Quatar never mentioned this at the time.
Uefa going nuts as their CL is full flow at this time

I'm sure the CL can't be moved for one season, it's not as if they don't have enough notice anyway

Phil D. Rolls
24-02-2015, 08:58 AM
In the interests of balance, the report actually said at its conclusion that none of the stadiums are being built using slave labour.

Still an absolute outrage that the WC Finals are there at all though.

KazHibby
24-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Taken from Qatar Stars League website News and Features

DOHA: On Monday 23rd of February at Al Bidda Tower, the headquarters of the Qatar Stars League (QSL), the CEO of Aberdeen F.C. Mr. Duncan Fraser and Vice President Mr. George Yule met with Mr. Khalifa Al Haroon the QSL’s Executive Director of Marketing & Communications. They also met with Operations and Commercial representatives from the QSL.

The aim of the meeting was to build and fosters relations with Qatari clubs. In addition Aberdeen F.C. was also keen to consider the Aspire Zone facilities as a possible warm weather training venue for their players during the harsh Scottish winters.

The Scottish delegation will be in Qatar for another two days where they will visit the training facilities at the now famous Aspire Academy as well as Lekhwiya Sports Club, who last season were crowned champions of the QSL. They will look for best practice examples and possible ideas as they develop their own new training facilities in Scotland.

The Aberdeen delegation will also visit two other QSL clubs. Firstly, they will visit Qatar Sports Club and then Al Arabi Sports Club. Then they will be taken to the renowned Aspetar - Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital which is located in the Aspire Zone to see how elite sports professionals are treated and rehabilitated.

Mr. Al Haroon said, “We welcome Aberdeen F.C. to Qatar and are privileged to have had the opportunity to both share our knowledge and experiences with the famous Scottish Club and to learn from the way that they operate. One of our goals is to learn from different clubs around the world in order to help the Qatar Stars League and local clubs constantly improve and grow.”

H18sry
24-02-2015, 09:04 AM
What date is the away friendly?

:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:saltireflag:s altireflag

green&left
24-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Watched the piece and it showed what passed for living quarters for these poor migrant slaves .in counties where there is so much wealth there really is no excuse apart from greed to treat the labour force like this ,but sadly every one is aware of it and turn a blind eye and the story will get forgotten about

Brazil last year was the same with regards to slave labour like conditions, with 8 deaths building the 12 stadiums.

Also well documented the entire country of Dubai was pretty much built on slave labour. Don't know why anyone thought Qatar would be any different...

Sylar
24-02-2015, 10:06 AM
I see a FIFA taskforce has published the recommendations that the Qatari World Cup should take place in the winter months to deal with the temperature concerns...

Right in the final stages of the Champions League/Europa League group stages, just as many European leagues are gearing up for their winter breaks, just as the League Cup and National Cups get to their latter and initial stages respectively.

Whilst I'm aware that's a very Euro-centric view of things but given that the majority of teams are European, it stands to reason that there'll be a huge amount of complaints about any such move (which I'm aware, hasn't been officially made yet).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31600194

jacomo
24-02-2015, 10:36 AM
It's taken them over 4 years to get to this point. Qatar was awarded WC in 2010.

No reason given why tournament can't be in January, which would reduce impact on European leagues. I think this is a power play by FIFA, and they want to screw over UEFA.

We should all boycott the WC, starting with Russia in 2018. FIFA is corrupt and needs to be faced down.

JimBHibees
24-02-2015, 10:43 AM
It's taken them over 4 years to get to this point. Qatar was awarded WC in 2010.

No reason given why tournament can't be in January, which would reduce impact on European leagues. I think this is a power play by FIFA, and they want to screw over UEFA.

We should all boycott the WC, starting with Russia in 2018. FIFA is corrupt and needs to be faced down.

Couldnt agree more I think they have somehow managed to outdo even the Olympics in terms of corruption. Incredible to be honest. Good that the fans were considered in this farcical decision.

Ozyhibby
24-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Hopefully Scotland has a summer league by then anyway.

DarrenSQH
24-02-2015, 10:56 AM

They wont put in January-Feb as thats when the african nations cup is played. Also would clash with the Olympics.

DarrenSQH
24-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Hopefully Scotland has a summer league by then anyway.

Im totally against that idea. Would rather spend my saturdays with no Hibs games in the sun on holiday or at least being in good weather and being able to enjoy summer than having no hibs games in winter. The football is my favourite part of the festive season.

lucky
24-02-2015, 11:20 AM
European clubs supplied 75% of the players at the Brazilian World Cup. If the European leagues and clubs reject this and boycott it would bring FIFA to its knees

CallumLaidlaw
24-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Im totally against that idea. Would rather spend my saturdays with no Hibs games in the sun on holiday or at least being in good weather and being able to enjoy summer than having no hibs games in winter. The football is my favourite part of the festive season.

This is my argument too. The little nice weather we get in the summer, I like to be able to spend it with my family, go on holiday etc. I have no issue with going to football matches in the wind and rain.

Golden Bear
24-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Ex Hibby Brian Rice is a coach in Qatar and he's currently on Radio Scotland discussing the staging of the World Cup.

Mathias Jack
24-02-2015, 12:30 PM
They wont put in January-Feb as thats when the african nations cup is played. Also would clash with the Olympics.

I had a quick scout over that BBC article. Says that should the WC be played in Nov/Dec, the African Nations Cup is likely to be moved; and that CAF is 100% behind the proposal.

When did they announce Qatar as hosts? Was it 2010? If that's the case, well done FIFA. It's only taken you the 4 years to come to a decision! :rolleyes:

hibee92
24-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Hopefully one big FA state their intentions to not compete in the next few weeks. Then they'll panic.

Qatar should be stripped of it anyway regardless of the date. Reported death toll of migrant workers is 200. One every two days. How can they possibly condone that and continue with the 'celebrations'? Disgusting.

worcesterhibby
24-02-2015, 05:49 PM

I think you'll find Scotland have been boycotting Worlds cups for some time now.

emerald green
24-02-2015, 06:38 PM

:agree: I wonder how many backhanders took place, and palms greased, to secure that "country" the 2022 World Cup?

The C4 report last night showed absolutely terrible working conditions for the thousands of migrant workers building the stadia etc for 2022. A disgrace.

superfurryhibby
24-02-2015, 06:44 PM
This is my argument too. The little nice weather we get in the summer, I like to be able to spend it with my family, go on holiday etc. I have no issue with going to football matches in the wind and rain.

Wait till you're my age:wink:

Football is corrupt. Qatar should never have been awarded the tournament. It reeks of corruption . Symptomatic of illness that afflicts the game we love.

Deansy
24-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Wait till you're my age:wink:

Football is corrupt. Qatar should never have been awarded the tournament. It reeks of corruption . Symptomatic of illness that afflicts the game we love.

Hence the attraction for the GFA.

cabbageandribs1875
24-02-2015, 10:21 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31600385

"The death toll is not decreasing," she says. "We know from just two sources - the Indian and the Nepali figures - that more than 4,000 workers will die before a ball is kicked in Qatar. It needs to act like a decent global citizen. They're not poor.

quite appalling, the big money men won't give a flying one

The Pointer
25-02-2015, 12:02 AM
It really is intriguing to wonder why the SFA went out when they did, prior to this announcement, what was discussed and for whose benefit. Why would you send out your three top executives if all you wanted to do was forge closer coaching links or such like? I understand that if you wish to do business in the Arab world, and get anywhere, this is exactly the level you have to pitch it and is what you have to do so there must have been something to benefit one side or the other or both as a result. Was it to discuss the forthcoming announcement and obtain the support of the SFA?

Does anyone know if delegations from any other countries have carried out a similar visit in recent weeks?

As an aside, I shared a train compartment going to Bordeaux in 1998 with an English guy (who's name escapes me) who has written extensively about FIFA and tried without success to interview Blatter. A most interesting journey and to think the same gadgie is in charge.

The Robert Mugabe of football.

Greentinted
25-02-2015, 04:18 AM
It really is intriguing to wonder why the SFA went out when they did, prior to this announcement, what was discussed and for whose benefit. Why would you send out your three top executives if all you wanted to do was forge closer coaching links or such like? I understand that if you wish to do business in the Arab world, and get anywhere, this is exactly the level you have to pitch it and is what you have to do so there must have been something to benefit one side or the other or both as a result. Was it to discuss the forthcoming announcement and obtain the support of the SFA?

Does anyone know if delegations from any other countries have carried out a similar visit in recent weeks?

As an aside, I shared a train compartment going to Bordeaux in 1998 with an English guy (who's name escapes me) who has written extensively about FIFA and tried without success to interview Blatter. A most interesting journey and to think the same gadgie is in charge.

The Robert Mugabe of football.

Would that be Andrew Jennings? If so he is properly on the money re Blatter, Havelange and the rest.

jacomo
27-02-2015, 11:15 AM
When I read about this it was the shocking working conditions that sprang to mind.

Modern day slavery. It's disgusting.

Not that I expect any leadership, moral or otherwise, from the SFA.

allezsauzee
27-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Modern day slavery. It's disgusting.

Not that I expect any leadership, moral or otherwise, from the SFA.

To be fair, I don't think the SFA is any more morally bankrupt and corrupt than FIFA under Sepp Blatter. I don't suppose they'll consider taking the 2018 tournament away from Russia for their military actions in Ukraine either.

Brummie_Hibs
13-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Talk on the TAMB that Scotland v Qatar match to be played at Easter Road, prior to Scotland's qualifier in Dublin on June 13th.

Not officially announced yet.

NAE NOOKIE
13-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Talk on the TAMB that Scotland v Qatar match to be played at Easter Road, prior to Scotland's qualifier in Dublin on June 13th.

Not officially announced yet.

Wonder if we could get the Qataries to stump up to fill in the corners as a gesture of friendship in football. Mind, there's a shortage of slave labour in Leith so maybe no :greengrin

Billy Whizz
13-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Wonder if we could get the Qataries to stump up to fill in the corners as a gesture of friendship in football. Mind, there's a shortage of slave labour in Leith so maybe no :greengrin

And a retractable roof as well.

NAE NOOKIE
13-03-2015, 06:49 PM

:agree:

Eyrie
13-03-2015, 07:56 PM

And the helipad please.