PDA

View Full Version : Pies

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2015, 03:01 AM
Seeing as we don't really have much to moan about this week, I just wanted to complain that I was at the front of the queue as the half time whistle went and the kiosk was all out of steak pies. Not good enough!!!! :wink:

Mark79
22-02-2015, 07:26 AM
I had a steak one about 20 mins in today. Very nice indeed although £2.50 is a bit pricey.

Carheenlea
22-02-2015, 08:02 AM
Seeing as we don't really have much to moan about this week, I just wanted to complain that I was at the front of the queue as the half time whistle went and the kiosk was all out of steak pies. Not good enough!!!! :wink:

I joined the queue right on the half to whistle, and was likewise disappointed to learn of the sold out steak pie situation. I had a mince pie instead, and while it was pretty tasty, missing out on a steak and gravy delight ruined what was otherwise heading for a very enjoyable trip to Easter Road.

bod
22-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Seeing as we don't really have much to moan about this week, I just wanted to complain that I was at the front of the queue as the half time whistle went and the kiosk was all out of steak pies. Not good enough!!!! :wink:.

Leaving your seat early ? You'll get folk moaning about that

adhibs
22-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Should try and get the folk who supply scotmid there hot pies to do easter road. Both scotch and steak are tidy

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 09:51 AM
I have personally emailed john bains the butcher asking he supply Easter road with pies on a Saturday.

He could bump the price up from £1 to £2 easily.

They're the best pies I have ever had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Should try and get the folk who supply scotmid there hot pies to do easter road. Both scotch and steak are tidy

Agree let's get La Favorita pizza as well.

Cod Boy
22-02-2015, 10:26 AM

I take it you havent tasted McGills pies from Juniper Green.

nomad
22-02-2015, 10:26 AM
I have personally emailed john bains the butcher asking he supply Easter road with pies on a Saturday.

He could bump the price up from £1 to £2 easily.

They're the best pies I have ever had

Totally agree wit taste and price but like the shop Hibs have no control as catering outsourced for a pittance. Bovril £2.20 or is it £2.30 at ER you can buy a tin at the cash and carry for £8 that makes over 100 cups!! So why Hibs do not run the catering is beyond me.

truehibernian
22-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Get Bains in :greengrin best pie in Edinburgh :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 10:35 AM

It's either Stuarts of Buckhaven, or Stephens from Dunfermline.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 10:36 AM

McGills are superb, we have them at Currie bowling club after league games.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Stephens the bakers in Scotmid, never tried them myself though.

gringojoe
22-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Stephens steak bridies take some beating and they are massive.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Catering is going inhouse from next season
Not sure who's pulling this together from Hibs point of view, but some of the ideas on here should be sent to them?

Maybe one of the Fans Board members maybe a good starting point

Alfred E Newman
22-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Not much to moan about??
You obviously haven't been reading some of the other wrist slitting threads on here.

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Let's get this sorted.

Let's get a massive movement to get bains pies in.

Surely everyone would agree?

Point in hand
1) the pastry case is superb. It is a hard crust that does not leak not fall apart leaving your pie in the tin
2) the meat is superb. It is top notch quality meat.
3) the gravy. Waw. The peppery flavour compliments the meat like no other.

Everyone must get to stenhouse cross and try one to understand my reasoning.

Also that is only the mince pies I am talking about.

And they're a pound

Billy Whizz
22-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Let's get this sorted.

Point in hand
1) the pastry case is superb. It is a hard crust that does not leak not fall apart leaving your pie in the tin

And they're a pound

I actually prefer the ones from Simpsons at Carrock Knowe
Their chicken pies are fantastic

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I actually prefer the ones from Simpsons at Carrock Knowe
Their chicken pies are fantastic

Simpsons are also class.

BUT they're mini pies aren't they?

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Pavlov used bells to stimulate his subjects into a conditioned response.

Shop owners use a highly visible queue.

If you bake it, they will come.:greengrin

Pretty Boy
22-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Let's get this sorted.

Point in hand

And they're a pound

Top notch quality meat? In a pie? For £1?

I'm sceptical.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2015, 12:00 PM
Simpsons are also class.

BUT they're mini pies aren't they?

No, same size as the ones you get at ER, also do family size ones

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Top notch quality meat? In a pie? For £1?

I'm sceptical.

Well get yourself down to stenhouse cross the morn :)

Pretty Boy
22-02-2015, 12:11 PM

I've tried a Bains pie a fair few times and they are fantastic.

But too notch quality meat for any Scotch pie is probably stretching the truth quite a bit.

WillowbraeHibby
22-02-2015, 12:11 PM
All this talk of pies has made my mind up, to nip round to the wee home baker in Magdalene the 'morn, and get one of their
superb mince pies... Or maybe a steak one.. Get the HP broon sauce oot. cup o' tea, lunch sorted !!!! :greengrin

bod
22-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Let's get this sorted.

Point in hand

And they're a pound

& they'll no be a pound if there sold in ER

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I've tried a Bains pie a fair few times and they are fantastic.

But too notch quality meat for any Scotch pie is probably stretching the truth quite a bit.

It's not a scotch pie.

It's a mince pie. Far from scotch pie

Alex Trager
22-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Obviously not.

But I would prefer to pay £2 odd for a decent pie

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Why shouldn't it be? If it's in house catering they can be reasonable.

Captive audience = rip off?

The Gorf
22-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Stephens steak bridie mmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty.
you can get then at the coop in Saughtonhall, just by the old Jenners depository.

erin go bragh
22-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Stephens steak bridies take some beating and they are massive.

You need two hands to hold one of they beauties ,
Tasty as . Was gutted when Dunfermline lost out in the play offs . As they sell them at the match . Lol

Ggtth

adhibs
22-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Agree let's get La Favorita pizza as well.

No reason the last favorita van couldn't be placed behind the east or the west for a pre match pizza. Make it happen hibs

adhibs
22-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Bit of a trek but I'll keep them in mind if I'm out that way

hibby6270
22-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Going back to the original post, I did get my scotch pie yesterday but there have been quite a few times this season that there have been none left at half time in the West Upper.

As has been said - not good enough. The club must know from game to game that pie sale numbers are going to be pretty constant, so how they manage to 'run out', I don't understand. It's not as though there are great fluctuations in crowd numbers, so ordering the right amount of pies to go round all parts of the ground can't be that difficult?

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2015, 12:53 PM
they had a wee stall in the concourse selling Hot Dogs for £4, probably approx 350% profit....robbin gits, and my sausage roll was hard...and crap

:(

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Going back to the original post, I did get my scotch pie yesterday but there have been quite a few times this season that there have been none left at half time in the West Upper.

As has been said - not good enough. The club must know from game to game that pie sale numbers are going to be pretty constant, so how they manage to 'run out', I don't understand. It's not as though there are great fluctuations in crowd numbers, so ordering the right amount of pies to go round all parts of the ground can't be that difficult?

i think it's a catering company that run it

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 01:07 PM

Or that important?

Cod Boy
22-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Its closed on Mondays

CRAZYHIBBY
22-02-2015, 01:22 PM
I once bought a killie pie only to find that it was almost hollow inside.....might have been the last one made or something but shocking none the less

IrnBru22
22-02-2015, 01:24 PM
You need two hands to hold one of they beauties ,
Tasty as . Was gutted when Dunfermline lost out in the play offs . As they sell them at the match . Lol

Ggtth

had one at Dunfermline pre season, very nice and reasonable price.

at Alloa they have a burger van selling bacon rolls etc for £1 and cups of irn bru for 50p, much better way of doing things.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 01:47 PM
No reason the last favorita van couldn't be placed behind the east or the west for a pre match pizza. Make it happen hibs

Great idea.

Malthibby
22-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Vale of Leithen steak pies were excellent & well-priced.
Don't think clubs realise how much goodwill they would get delivering
decent quality food at decent prices while still delivering the club a decent profit.
Selling over-priced crap does the opposite.
Hopefully taking it in-house will mean that's what we get (decent quality I mean, not more crap).

Famous Fiver
22-02-2015, 02:38 PM
The pies in Behind the Goals yesterday looked as if they had lived a long and healthy life but were definitely in their old age!

Wasn't tempted

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 02:44 PM
What's really amusing, for me, is that the OP started this thread tongue in cheek. It has now drifted into a full scale debate about the merits of pie A against pie B.

Unsurprisingly there is - as usual - little empirical evidence to back up the theories about how Hibs have **** in their fans shoes once again.

Apparently a decent standard of pie would have generated enough goodwill to make people forget how honking the team was on the pitch. It's the holy grail folks, all we have to find out is who supplied all the pies in the Harry Swan era, and we will be back to where we truly belong.

However, if we were a truly big club, we'd be investigating what they sell at the snack bars of the Bernebau and Camp Nou.

Jim Herriot
22-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Apparently a decent standard of pie would have generated enough goodwill to make people forget how honking the team was on the pitch. It's the holy grail folks, all we have to find out is who supplied all the pies in the Harry Swan era, and we will be back to where we truly belong.

Maybe we could boo the pies instead of the players?

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Maybe we could boo the pies instead of the players?

Don't boo them, just don't buy them.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm not a big pie eater, to my surprise i found too much hair in the last one.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Am I the only person that thinks Bains pies are overrated?? :confused:

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm not a big pie eater, to my surprise i found too much hair in the last one.

:tee hee: :slipper:

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 03:44 PM

No

Phil D. Rolls
22-02-2015, 03:53 PM

Never had one, but I suspect that people enjoy a Bain's pie for more than just its flavour and nutritional value.

By buying at Bains, you know that you are part of the in crowd. Bains don't sell pies, they sell a lifestyle.

Is it the smell of the grease, and the peppery meat that drags them to Stenhouse. I think not, rather it is the opportunity to say they too have queued up for a pie. And if you've queued up for a pie, it has to have been a good pie. Or else people will call you mad.

You know that if you buy a Bains pie that nobody can call you mad, and - let's face it - who wants to risk being called insane over a bakery product? Why take the chance - much better to queue for half an hour in the pishing rain, when you could go to Greggs and be home in the same time.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 03:55 PM
No

Didnt think so. They are not the best not by far.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Didnt think so. They are not the best not by far.

I have found them to be okay but don"t understand the hype, I prefer McGills (of Currie).

MSK
22-02-2015, 05:29 PM
All this talk of pies has made my mind up, to nip round to the wee home baker in Magdalene the 'morn, and get one of their
superb mince pies... Or maybe a steak one.. Get the HP broon sauce oot. cup o' tea, lunch sorted !!!! :greengrinMy local bakers ...used to grab a couple o chicken curry pies after a night shift tae have for brekkie ...:agree:

WillowbraeHibby
22-02-2015, 05:36 PM
My local bakers ...used to grab a couple o chicken curry pies after a night shift tae have for brekkie ...:agree:

Canny beat the chocolate donuts either... Smashing baker... :top marks

MSK
22-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Canny beat the chocolate donuts either... Smashing baker... :top marksAnd don't forget the brill well fired bran scones ..:agree:

Bostonhibby
22-02-2015, 05:45 PM
My local bakers ...used to grab a couple o chicken curry pies after a night shift tae have for brekkie ...:agree:

:thumbsup: Bootlands - Best morning rolls in the world - Soft or Crispy, penny buns and left overs as well..........................

Saturday Boy
22-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Sorry to be controversial with the bakery lovers on here, but the best Scotch pies or steak pies are always those made by the local butcher. Anybody can do pastry, but the meat and gravy is always better from a butcher.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Sorry to be controversial with the bakery lovers on here, but the best Scotch pies or steak pies are always those made by the local butcher. Anybody can do pastry, but the meat and gravy is always better from a butcher.

Hence why McGills are so good.:agree:

Pete
22-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Have to say that the quality of pies (or any food) at the game isn't the issue. It's the price in relation to quality. These standard pies are ok but they shouldn't be any more than £1.50, and a quality pie should be around £2.

I'm not after a taste sensation at half time, I just don't want to be ripped off.

cad
22-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Ive been an officinado of Bains for years excellent pie ,recently I found out 2 mins along the road another haven for the pie seeker is Harry Simpsons Shop at Carrickknowe his pies are every bit as good IMO £1,10p a pop

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Ive been an officinado of Bains for years excellent pie ,recently I found out 2 mins along the road another haven for the pie seeker is Harry Simpsons Shop at Carrickknowe his pies are every bit as good IMO £1,10p a pop

Harry Simpson lives in my road, never knew he done pies will have to knock his door :-)

Saturday Boy
22-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Anybody else feeling a bit peckish?

I wonder if frozen pies are edible for unexpected crisis moments?

Richibee
22-02-2015, 07:08 PM
The guy who makes the pies in Simpsons is a Jambo season ticket holder ........

Pete
22-02-2015, 07:15 PM
The guy who makes the pies in Simpsons is a Jambo season ticket holder ........

The guy who owns the bakery a few doors down is also one of those. There's a lot of that around there but at least they are supporting their local team. Those who are born here and passionate OF people can GTF.

WillowbraeHibby
22-02-2015, 07:25 PM
And don't forget the brill well fired bran scones ..:agree:

They're the wifes favourite..... :rolleyes:

WillowbraeHibby
22-02-2015, 07:31 PM
:thumbsup: Bootlands - Best morning rolls in the world - Soft or Crispy, penny buns and left overs as well..........................

Helluva bus journey tae get half a dozen tae try them.... Lincolnshire.... (Can ye order them online...) :greengrin

Bostonhibby
22-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Helluva bus journey tae get half a dozen tae try them.... Lincolnshire.... (Can ye order them online...) :greengrin
Used to live right opposite it.[emoji1]

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't mind being able to get a half time fish supper amongst a range of other things.

superfurryhibby
22-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Personally, I' m getting peeved at the meat-o- centric nature of this discussion. What about vegetarians, eh, you bunch of greedy, carnivorous bassas.

To be truly inclusive any new catering at ER should embrace the Veg. Not saying you traditionalists cannae have a pie or burger, and judging by the waistline of the average 45 plus Scottish bloke many of you do, but It's about time we left all this exclusivity stuff behind and realised that 10% of folk are vegetarian.

:na na:

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Personally, I' m getting peeved at the meat-o- centric nature of this discussion. What about vegetarians, eh, you bunch of greedy, carnivorous bassas.

To be truly inclusive any new catering at ER should embrace the Veg. Not saying you traditionalists cannae have a pie or burger, and judging by the waistline of the average 45 plus Scottish bloke many of you do, but It's about time we left all this exclusivity stuff behind and realised that 10% of folk are vegetarian.

You can have the grass cuttings from the pitch in a pie then, I'm a steak pie and bovril man myself. :wink:

Bostonhibby
22-02-2015, 08:56 PM

:agree: and not even a whiff of a lobster, how difficult can it be to set up a couple of large aquariums in the pie stands and chuck in a few live ones? They're bound to sell.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2015, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't mind being able to get a half time fish supper amongst a range of other things.

The chips you got in Carlisle were quite good! :-)

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Chips and curry sauce would hit the spot.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 09:07 PM
The chips you got in Carlisle were quite good! :-)

Aye they were great! 5 large bags of chips polished off after a days drinking! Canny beat it.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 09:12 PM
:agree: and not even a whiff of a lobster, how difficult can it be to set up a couple of large aquariums in the pie stands and chuck in a few live ones? They're bound to sell.

Certainly not! My fellow crustaceans will not cooked alive and sold at Easter Rd! :grr:

Reported!!!

Bostonhibby
22-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Certainly not! My fellow crustaceans will not cooked alive and sold at Easter Rd! :grr:

Reported!!!
Like a nice bit crab as well but you have to kill them beforehand.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Like a nice bit crab as well but you have to kill them beforehand.

I hope you catch them! The seaside snappers are coming to get you! :na na:

Baldy Foghorn
22-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Aye they were great! 5 large bags of chips polished off after a days drinking! Canny beat it.

You ate 5 bags?

Bostonhibby
22-02-2015, 09:29 PM
I hope you catch them! The seaside snappers are coming to get you! :na na:
Bring them on, there's a hundred ways to eat a crab

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 09:49 PM
You ate 5 bags?

An impossible task even for me mate. 5 bags shared between 5 of us.

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-02-2015, 10:04 PM

And the "trolley dolly" on the train! ;-)

Scott Allan Key
22-02-2015, 10:05 PM
What about a Cornish pasty? Or a halal option to entice locals were the grub is as important as the game. Currys and kebabs? I'm sure Hanam's kebabs would go down well. The owners family are Hibees.

Hibbyradge
22-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Football changed for ever when S&N bought over the Clep pub in Dundee and they changed pie suppliers at Tannadice.

They were the best, tastiest, greasiest and most unhealthy "food" items available in the country, but they made the short trip north worthwhile.

Baldy Foghorn
22-02-2015, 10:16 PM

Wouldn't have put it past you greedy guts:wink:

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't have put it past you greedy guts:wink:

Haha. I'd be in the queue behind you and Bunter.

Baldy Foghorn
22-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Haha. I'd be in the queue behind you and Bunter.

The big guy was talking about Healthy Hibee / Fit Fan's yesterday, just after polishing off a Burger and Chips.....Oh the irony...:greengrin

bookert
22-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Haha. I'd be in the queue behind you and Bunter. Dont know if it was same all over then ground, but in the West they were selling soup, which was sold out by half time, step in the right direction for me, I will get my soup earlier.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 10:26 PM
The big guy was talking about Healthy Hibee / Fit Fan's yesterday, just after polishing off a Burger and Chips.....Oh the irony...:greengrin

He wolfed a pie I didn't want a few weeks back after the two he'd already had. :greengrin

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Dont know if it was same all over then ground, but in the West they were selling soup, which was sold out by half time, step in the right direction for me, I will get my soup earlier.

What kind of soup?

truehibernian
22-02-2015, 10:28 PM
What about a Cornish pasty? Or a halal option to entice locals were the grub is as important as the game. Currys and kebabs? I'm sure Hanam's kebabs would go down well. The owners family are Hibees.

The sheek and the lamb kebabs at the East India in Brunswick Street are :aok: a good Asian friend of mine took me there years ago telling me I'd not have a tastier kebab anywhere else..........and have to say it's a regular haunt since :top marksthat and Kebab Mahal :thumbsup:

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-02-2015, 10:30 PM
It is a bit ridiculous that we've regularly run out of pies before half time arrives considering half time is when the majority should be sold. The prices we get charged, we should really be getting a better service.
I remember the year Killie won their award. We were a close second out of all Scottish teams. Doubt we would be now

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-02-2015, 10:33 PM
Chips and curry sauce would hit the spot.

We had that for a while! Late 90's. I remember getting some every week as a young lad. Comfortably the best scran I've ever had at ER. Started as a trial one winter but then continued for a couple of seasons

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Crombie's in Broughton Street are worth a visit.

The pies at ER are good value for money in that you get a cooked pie at the time you want it at the football ground.simples.
With regards to the OP, I stopped buying the steak pies because of the glue used to stick the pie to the foil casing.
At the Arbroath game they ran out of mince pies, I was crestfallen.
How could the new broom sweeping through the corridors of Easter Road make such a fundimental mistake?

However, much to my surprise, the steak pie I bought as a poor substitue was free of glue.
The pie successfully undocked from the foil casing.

Now I can enjoy a steak pie without doing it doggy style and the only mince on show is in the pie stand if I need it.

My complaint now is the temperature of the water at the wash hand basins in the bogs. Kerrist it's cauld.

Quite simply one of the worst steak pies I've ever tasted. Horrible short crust pastry, disgusting gravy and the first bit of meat I bit in to was very fatty and had a vein tube through it. I would be raging if they sold them at Easter rd.

Saturday Boy
22-02-2015, 10:54 PM

The pies at ER are good value for money in that you get a cooked pie at the time you want it at the football ground.simples.
With regards to the OP, I stopped buying the steak pies because of the glue used to stick the pie to the foil casing.
How could the new broom sweeping through the corridors of Easter Road make such a fundimental mistake?

However, much to my surprise, the steak pie I bought as a poor substitue was free of glue.

Now I can enjoy a steak pie without doing it doggy style and the only mince on show is in the pie stand if I need it.

My complaint now is the temperature of the water at the wash hand basins in the bogs. Kerrist it's cauld.

Best post I've read here for ages. And I was never a fan off the Carry On movies. :wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Quite simply one of the worst steak pies I've ever tasted. Horrible short crust pastry, disgusting gravy and the first bit of meat I bit in to was very fatty and had a vein tube through it. I would be raging if they sold them at Easter rd.

WHAT? :crazy:

Crombies do the best Steak pies in the land. Fact.

silverhibee
22-02-2015, 11:30 PM

Where yams shop. :cb

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 11:35 PM

Short crust pastry should be banned, you don't make steak pies with that. Also the meat should be trimmed of any fat before going in the stewing pot. Crombies fail both tests. It's a no from from me.

Scouse Hibee
22-02-2015, 11:40 PM

Dubious employees too. Fact.

givescotlandfreedom
22-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Short crust pastry should be banned, you don't make steak pies with that. Also the meat should be trimmed of any fat before going in the stewing pot. Crombies fail both tests. It's a no from from me.

Where's your number one pie from HC?

silverhibee
22-02-2015, 11:44 PM

:agree:

The yam type. :wink:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-02-2015, 11:45 PM

Glad they caught him.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 11:46 PM
Where's your number one pie from HC?

Football ground wise it's Ross county. 6 in one match as well. Although some were a free issue at the end of the game.

A butcher up in dunfermline does immense steak pies with meat from a local farm. Bit pricey though.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-02-2015, 11:50 PM

Subjective.

Have shopped at Crombies for four decades and never had an issue with the quality of their products.

Hermit Crab
22-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Subjective.

Have shopped at Crombies for four decades and never had an issue with the quality of their products.

I suppose its all about opinions. You like the pies, I don't. Hey ho.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I suppose its all about opinions. You like the pies, I don't. Hey ho.

That's fine, just making the point that I formed my opinion over a number of years.

mca
23-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Why Does Nae Grounds Sell.. Mince Rounds.. ??? Certain Stigma.. :cb

jabis
23-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Crombies is great! Bacon butties for breakfast,fantastic.
Anyone who eats six pies at a football match should have no say on any matters football related 👜

superfurryhibby
23-02-2015, 07:53 AM
I'd settle for a Greggs, they can add 20p or so on to their wares, to reflect the premium rip-off environment of football. We could have them sponsoring a concourse bar, known of course as Rumours. Macaroni pies, cheese n'onion pasties, pizza slice, with sausage rolls and steak bake for the traditionalists.

BroxburnHibee
23-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Soup & stovies is what we need.

bookert
23-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Soup & stovies is what we need.
Soup on sale in the west stand on Saturday, sold out by halftime.

BroxburnHibee
23-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Soup on sale in the west stand on Saturday, sold out by halftime.

Must have been good :greengrin

Leith Mo
23-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Saw Colin Millar (Supporters Liaison Officer) taking loads of notes on catering at half time during the Arbroath cup game. Spoke to him and the subject came up. Main points raised were the obvious: Cost; Quality of product; slow service. Said he would raise the points as Club clearly looking to change things (mentioned the new marketing guy would also have some input).

For Pies my suggestion (and of many others I've spoken to) is support a local business: Storie's on Leith Walk. Quality pies and a standing taxi diversion after a night up town. Even suggested the same producer who makes the "mini" pies you get in corporate hospitality at ER (but baked a bit bigger) as they are very tasty.

Billy Whizz
23-02-2015, 11:17 AM
A nice cheese and tomato roll, can't be too hard to prepare, and will be quick and easy to sell. That would do me nicely

CallumLaidlaw
23-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I can't believe my jokey thread after a few drinks has now turned into a 4 pager!! haha.

I do think if we are looking to improve the overall match day experience then catering is something that needs to be looked at. I was in the queue from 41 mins. I had my money taken for a steak pie, and then the lad went on a hunt for a steak pie, only to be told there was none left.

I might just go to aldi and buy a supply of killie pies and set up a stall at half time! :wink:

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2015, 11:20 AM
A nice cheese and tomato roll, can't be too hard to prepare, and will be quick and easy to sell. That would do me nicely

Ahhh.... But what kind of cheese do you want???? And... Tomatoes? (Plum, Beef, Salad, etc....) :greengrin

PaulC
23-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I would favour a salad nicoise as my half time food of choice

Northernhibee
23-02-2015, 12:29 PM
I'd take a nice sirloin steak, fried tempura shallot rings, sauteed parmesan crusted potatoes, dressed rocket salad with a red wine jus. Without that I won't be back, especially if it costs more than a fiver.

KingFranck
23-02-2015, 12:36 PM
take it everyone has forgotten the Killie pie? get onto their supplier and get them delivered to ER :thumbsup:

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2015, 12:38 PM
I'd take a nice sirloin steak, fried tempura shallot rings, sauteed parmesan crusted potatoes, dressed rocket salad with a red wine jus. Without that I won't be back, especially if it costs more than a fiver.

It's ER we're talking aboot.... No the Superbowl... :greengrin

Northernhibee
23-02-2015, 12:40 PM
It's ER we're talking aboot.... No the Superbowl... :greengrin

Tell you something, it better be a perfect medium rare and presented nicely otherwise I'm no buying from the club store again either.

Just Alf
23-02-2015, 12:42 PM
I'M HUNGRY! :fuming:

Bad Martini
23-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Four ****ing pages of chat aboot pies and only one...ONE, solitary decension into the murky world of the "hairy pie" :greengrin ... someone even mentioned sea food and crabs and STILL, STILL you all failed to capitalise on the potential for skullduggery and thread-wreckin-all-out-trollisim :rolleyes::greengrin

WTAF!

Anyways, far worse than the atrocity of the pies running out (as they are actually very pish mostly anyway and far to dear), is the fact that a simple, still-pretty-frozen-and-cheap-as-****-yet-still-a-fortune-for-what-ye-get pizza takes a frigging eternity for them to "cook"....I mean here's me, season ticket holding radge getting up at the same time EVERY week for yon pizza (usually 34 minutes into the first half to piss off other neaby season ticket holding radges :greengrin) and its no ready for me? Again, I ask, WTAF.

Then, the bovril - well thats just not right. It sends me to the lavvy at approximately 62 minutes gone every week, again, pissing of said radges etc :na na:

Then, to top it all ****ing off...when I want to leave EARLY, after I finished booing the team and hurling pelters at the staff/players/management/everyone, I go to get me a sly feed on the way home - maybe at 83 minutes say, and they've SHUT the friggin kiosk! WTAF!!!!!!!!!!!

Im no having that.

Am listenin tae fat boab.

Next season, am gon doon yon Odeon.

**** this.

Pies or no.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Four ****ing pages of chat aboot pies and only one...ONE, solitary decension into the murky world of the "hairy pie" :greengrin ... someone even mentioned sea food and crabs and STILL, STILL you all failed to capitalise on the potential for skullduggery and thread-wreckin-all-out-trollisim :rolleyes::greengrin

WTAF!

Anyways, far worse than the atrocity of the pies running out (as they are actually very pish mostly anyway and far to dear), is the fact that a simple, still-pretty-frozen-and-cheap-as-****-yet-still-a-fortune-for-what-ye-get pizza takes a frigging eternity for them to "cook"....I mean here's me, season ticket holding radge getting up at the same time EVERY week for yon pizza (usually 34 minutes into the first half to piss off other neaby season ticket holding radges :greengrin) and its no ready for me? Again, I ask, WTAF.

Then, the bovril - well thats just not right. It sends me to the lavvy at approximately 62 minutes gone every week, again, pissing of said radges etc :na na:

Then, to top it all ****ing off...when I want to leave EARLY, after I finished booing the team and hurling pelters at the staff/players/management/everyone, I go to get me a sly feed on the way home - maybe at 83 minutes say, and they've SHUT the friggin kiosk! WTAF!!!!!!!!!!!

Im no having that.

Am listenin tae fat boab.

Next season, am gon doon yon Odeon.

**** this.

Pies or no.

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Bet you feel better for gettin that of yer chest..... :greengrin

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Tell you something, it better be a perfect medium rare and presented nicely otherwise I'm no buying from the club store again either.

Agree 100%.... :top marks

Bad Martini
23-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Off my chest? Do you know how long it took me to dream up that insane pile of vintage radgeness? :greengrin

:thumbsup:

WillowbraeHibby
23-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Off my chest? Do you know how long it took me to dream up that insane pile of vintage radgeness? :greengrin

:thumbsup:

Aboot 10 minutes???? :greengrin

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Let's get this sorted.

Point in hand

And they're a pound

Agreed...they are the best mince pies ever :agree: The bridies, chicken curry pies etc are also rather tasty too.

The Filling Place on Easter Road sells Bain's pies too...and yes they are the real McCoy, not a cheap imitation.

Alex Trager
23-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Agreed...they are the best mince pies ever :agree: The bridies, chicken curry pies etc are also rather tasty too.

The Filling Place on Easter Road sells Bain's pies too...and yes they are the real McCoy, not a cheap imitation.

Oh really?!
That is an absolutely excellent find!
When is it open?
Saturday's?
I am not sure where it is?

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Em...they're actually shut on a Monday :faf:

Alex Trager
23-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Em...they're actually shut on a Monday :faf:

Mostly interested in whether or not they are open on a Saturday before kick off.

Aw sorry I never realised you were talking bout baines.

But what about the filling station?

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 04:11 PM

Oh really?!
That is an absolutely excellent find!
When is it open?
Saturday's?
I am not sure where it is?

Thought my eyes deceived me when I was walking down ER shortly after I moved into Albion Gardens, on their chalkboard "Stenhouse Cross pies". :not worth

I would presume it is open on a Saturday but it is defo open quite early Monday-Friday; always open when i'm heading to work.

It's opposite Montgomery Street, by the bus stop at the top of Easter Road.

Alex Trager
23-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Thought my eyes deceived me when I was walking down ER shortly after I moved into Albion Gardens, on their chalkboard "Stenhouse Cross pies". :not worth

I would presume it is open on a Saturday but it is defo open quite early Monday-Friday; always open when i'm heading to work.

It's opposite Montgomery Street, by the bus stop at the top of Easter Road.

What a delightful little find man.

I know where I'll be going for my match pies now.

Hibby Bairn
23-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Is Bains the same as Baynes?

If so I had a Baynes sausage roll in Cowdenbeath when we had them in the Scottish Cup 2 or 3 years ago. Worst ever.

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 04:17 PM
What a delightful little find man.

I know where I'll be going for my match pies now.

FYI I haven't made a bad purchase in there Trager, it's a decent roll shop they have there!

Alex Trager
23-02-2015, 04:18 PM

If so I had a Baynes sausage roll in Cowdenbeath when we had them in the Scottish Cup 2 or 3 years ago. Worst ever.

No. Not whatsever.
Bains is a butcher

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Na, not Bayne's (they aren't the best) but Bain's of Stenhouse. There's a roll shop on ER that sells them, as I was just saying to Trager a few posts ago ^^^^^^^^ :aok:

Pretty Boy
23-02-2015, 05:10 PM

Nope S M Baynes is a Greggs type baker based in Fife.

John Bains is a butcher based at Stenhouse.

I supply both of them with products.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Na, not Bayne's (they aren't the best) but Bain's of Stenhouse. There's a roll shop on ER that sells them, as I was just saying to Trager a few posts ago ^^^^^^^^ :aok:

It's time to get you lot onto wraps, subs, baked spuds and protein based rice pots. Pies are so last year.:flag:

superfurryhibby
23-02-2015, 05:53 PM
It's time to get you lot onto wraps, subs, baked spuds and protein based rice pots. Pies are so last year.:flag:

There's no telling the pie guzzlers anything. Fixated on them, so they are. Some folk just cannae see beyond their own muttony 'needs:na na:

On a more serious note. The catering is something that is important. It will be a small barometer of our new approachability and listening board to see if we could get it sorted. I've already said that I really hate the "premium" price approach taken by Ryan Air, Airport catering in general, cinemas and of course the football. Not saying people shouldn't earn a living, it's just the blatant profiteering that I dislike.

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Give me a premium product and I will accept paying a premium price.Rib eye steak with caramalised onions in a crispy brown baguette will suffice.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Give me a premium product and I will accept paying a premium price.Rib eye steak with caramalised onions in a crispy brown baguette will suffice.

Markets within markets mate. Unfortunately those not participating in corporate hospitality all get tarred with the same brush and get pies or pizzas. There is a variety of disposable income steams and the secret is to capture them all.

Northernhibee
23-02-2015, 06:52 PM

At least in a warm ciabatta or Stubbs can gtf.

Phil D. Rolls
23-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Aboot 10 minutes???? :greengrin

I'd imagine it would have been 10 minutes to compose most of it, followed by a day and a half working out a suitable closing line.

SaudiHibby
23-02-2015, 07:08 PM
At least in a warm ciabatta or Stubbs can gtf.

Commonly known as poboy sandwiches from Louisiana. Served in the Long Room at Lords during test matches. Ainsley Harriet was the chef responsible from 1998-2000. Anything is doable with some passion.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Some folk are taking what was initially started as a lighthearted thread a tad too seriously methinks.

NathHFC
23-02-2015, 09:18 PM
The best pies I have ever consumed have to be the pies from Mark McGill butchers in Currie, their pies are amazing, you should all give those pies a try.

I have tried Bains pies before and yes they are both very similar and taste good but in my opinion Mark McGills pies just taste better.

AlbertK86
23-02-2015, 09:21 PM
The best pies I have ever consumed have to be the pies from Mark McGill butchers in Currie, their pies are amazing, you should all give those pies a try.

Yep agree very similar to Bains in that they are filled with proper mince

Other top pies are Uphall butchers ... Especially the steak variety !!

Scouse Hibee
23-02-2015, 09:23 PM

Pies, Sausage rolls and Bridie's they're all great from McGill's.

H18sry
23-02-2015, 09:30 PM

Maybe the had pies left, but looked at you and thought you had eaten too many already :greengrin:greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
23-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Maybe the had pies left, but looked at you and thought you had eaten too many already :greengrin:greengrin

Wow!!

givescotlandfreedom
23-02-2015, 11:12 PM
In my school days I remember seeing Crawfords the bakers dotted around Edinburgh. Good chocolate doughnuts and also chips available too. But what were their pies like?

Tinribs
23-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Sad to admit that despite living within 5 minutes of Stenhouse cross for 30 years or so, i never had a Bains pie in all that time.

You have to know that little roundabout of loveliness, and be at least 25% Italian to understand that...but Gino's has a takeaway there, and there is no way on Gods green:agree: earth that i can resist the smells coming out of their door.

Bring Gino's to ER, and watch the queues.

monktonharp
23-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Sad to admit that despite living within 5 minutes of Stenhouse cross for 30 years or so, i never had a Bains pie in all that time.

You have to know that little roundabout of loveliness, and be at least 25% Italian to understand that...but Gino's has a takeaway there, and there is no way on Gods green:agree: earth that i can resist the smells coming out of their door.

Bring Gino's to ER, and watch the queues.how sad, you huvnae had a Bains. I live near Porty, but every time we pass the "cross" we stoap fur a pie!

Tinribs
24-02-2015, 12:42 AM
how sad, you huvnae had a Bains. I live near Porty, but every time we pass the "cross" we stoap fur a pie!

Bet you have never had Gino's chips, pies, shrooms or fish though mate ;)

monktonharp
24-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Bet you have never had Gino's chips, pies, shrooms or fish though mate ;)nope, but will take it on board, consider and possibly offer a deal to my staff if they go for the scran while I relax in the van.:greengrin

Just Alf
24-02-2015, 01:22 AM
I'M HUNGRY ........ again! :fuming:

Tinribs
24-02-2015, 01:24 AM
I'M HUNGRY ........ again! :fuming:

You have a good wee chippy in Longstone :aok:

Just Alf
24-02-2015, 01:28 AM
You have a good wee chippy in Longstone :aok:

Lol.... Certainly do.... And they know my orders *always* take them half an hour to prepare so I can pop over the road :greengrin

Bad Martini
24-02-2015, 01:01 PM
I'd imagine it would have been 10 minutes to compose most of it, followed by a day and a half working out a suitable closing line.

It come unto me upon a flaming cloud... :aok:

ENDOF:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: