PDA

View Full Version : If only Stubbs had arrived earlier

wookie70
22-02-2015, 12:15 AM
I was just having a look at the league tables from earlier in the season. I thought the The Rangers 4-0 game was a turning point and we have really kicked on from there. If that had been the opening day of the season the league would be a real cracker.

The top five, depending on games in hand, could be within a couple of points of each other. What surprised me most was how little ground we have made up on The Rangers. If (it is a big if right enough) they win their 3 games in hand they would be the form team in the league. The other thing which we are all aware of is how expensive draws are in a league that is tight. The three draws since we pumped The Rangers, our only dropped points in this period, all came after being in a winning position.

Here is the form table since we pumped The Rangers back in December

Hearts (http://spfl.co.uk/clubs/hearts/)
+9

Hibernian (http://spfl.co.uk/clubs/hibernian/)
+12

Falkirk (http://spfl.co.uk/clubs/falkirk/)
+4

Queen of South (http://spfl.co.uk/clubs/queen-of-the-south/)
+5

Rangers (http://spfl.co.uk/clubs/rangers/)
+2

Hibeesmad
22-02-2015, 12:34 AM
There was one point where I thought Rangers had 2nd place wrapped but based on that form and the problems ongoing at Ibrox, it wouldn't surprise me if Falkirk or Queen of the South put heavy pressure on them between now and the end of the season

Purple & Green
22-02-2015, 12:46 AM
Look at the form since the end of September.

Michael
22-02-2015, 12:55 AM
There was one point where I thought Rangers had 2nd place wrapped but based on that form and the problems ongoing at Ibrox, it wouldn't surprise me if Falkirk or Queen of the South put heavy pressure on them between now and the end of the season

We could possibly come 2nd...but QOTS/Falkirk will be nowhere near The Rangers.

wookie70
22-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Look at the form since the end of September.

We beat The Rangers at the end of September too so another good comparison. Since then Hearts have picked up 10 points more than us and the Rangers 6 less but with three games in hand.

Because everyone in the top five is winning most weeks it takes a long time to gain points.

We look like we have a shot at second but if The Rangers win their games in hand they would have better form than us since the end of September. Hard to believe considering the battering we have handed out to them.

CallumLaidlaw
22-02-2015, 01:20 AM
If Stubbs had come in after the last day of the season, I reckon we'd be up with hearts. We just weren't given a proper pre season.

I'm delighted with the last 4 months bar a couple of silly draws, but I just feel that the games in hand will be enough for Rangers. We will drop points in a couple of silly games, guaranteed, so it will all come down to how we perform in the playoff games, starting with a game vs 4th place I feel

Hibeesmad
22-02-2015, 01:24 AM
If Stubbs had come in after the last day of the season, I reckon we'd be up with hearts. We just weren't given a proper pre season.

I'm delighted with the last 4 months bar a couple of silly draws, but I just feel that the games in hand will be enough for Rangers. We will drop points in a couple of silly games, guaranteed, so it will all come down to how we perform in the playoff games, starting with a game vs 4th place I feel

I think Rangers will drop points in both games against Hearts and we will beat them at Easter Road, I also think they will drop points against the so called smaller teams, starting with Falkirk next week. If we stick to how we are doing I think we will snatch 2nd place

Liberal Hibby
22-02-2015, 01:26 AM
I think Rangers will drop points in both games against Hearts and we will beat them at Easter Road, I also think they will drop points against the so called smaller teams, starting with Falkirk next week. If we stick to how we are doing I think we will snatch 2nd place

And their 25 point deduction for admin 2 will affect their play off chances too...

Springbank
22-02-2015, 02:13 AM
Hearts are hard to work out
We've played them off the park at times, they never seem to set the heather alight but grind out crap wins
They're running out of steam big time and will not be a force next season in top flight
If we go up and hold onto our squad and manager we are top three, maybe top two material

matty_f
22-02-2015, 02:38 AM
I think we'll finish above Rangers, it's just a shame we took too long to get our act together.

I'll take nothing away from the Yams, they've had an exceptional season in the league and if they do, as expected, win it then it's on merit.

I do think at this moment in time we are at least as good as them, if not better and for all they can point to the fact that we haven't beaten them this season, nor have they beaten us since we put our team together. They have been the better team over the full season though.

I think we will go up, if we have to play a lot of games to get there then I think we have a squad that can cope.

Today showed that without arguably our best two players (Gray and Allan) we were able to play in such a way that you'd hardly notice they weren't playing. That's testament to the quality of the squad - a far cry from this time last year.

We also seem to be finding a consistent level of performance. We look fitter, sharper, stronger than most of the teams we face and we are comfortable with the system and style of play. Throw in the growing confidence and it's a good mix for a promotion fight.

Bay Area Hibees
22-02-2015, 05:58 AM
I'd we don't make it do you think Well keep AS?

I really really hope so.

I have to follow from California these days but planning to come bsck for cup and final league or play off games.

Just so impressed with the players and attitude of plsyers he's brought it.

The guy just knows his football. No disrespect meant but light years ahead of last 3 managers.

lucky
22-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Hearts are hard to work out
We've played them off the park at times, they never seem to set the heather alight but grind out crap wins
They're running out of steam big time and will not be a force next season in top flight
If we go up and hold onto our squad and manager we are top three, maybe top two material

Not sure you can say they are running out of steam as they keep winning. I also think it's impossible to judge how well any team will do next season. Hibs have lost once in 23 games but they've lost once in the league. We've had too many draws but their form/results have been incredible

Onion
22-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Lots of what ifs in the league but realistically we were always going to end up behind The Rangers and Yams. The Rangers should have won this league at a canter and Yams were miles ahead of us in their preparation for the Champ. We were a shambles of a club last summer. The fact we're even competing for 2nd is a huge credit to Stubbs and LD, and probably as good as anyone could've expected.

Acid test for Stubbs comes down to the playoffs, nothing else matters (except maybe the SC :greengrin). If we get through via the POs, Stubbs and LD deserve medals.

Ronniekirk
22-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Petrie was all for keeping Butcher on so it took Leeann time to make the decision he needed to go and time to pick her man So what would of needed to happen was Leeann to have been appointed sooner .No point looking back she is here now and the difference the way our club is run is night and day .

But yes if we dont go up we will all look back and point to that as being the reason ,but I am just enjoying going to watch the team again for the first time in ages .

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Petrie was all for keeping Butcher on so it took Leeann time to make the decision he needed to go and time to pick her man So what would of needed to happen was Leeann to have been appointed sooner .No point looking back she is here now and the difference the way our club is run is night and day .

But yes if we dont go up we will all look back and point to that as being the reason ,but I am just enjoying going to watch the team again for the first time in ages .

Is that right?

Pretty Boy
22-02-2015, 11:24 AM

LD delayed the decision to sack Butcher as she wanted to meet him face to face when he returned from his summer holiday. She started work early because of the situation, the day after relegation in fact, so the delay was purely down to wishing to discuss matter with Butcher personally. That's straight from the horses mouth.

Nothing to do with Petrie.

emerald green
22-02-2015, 11:24 AM
If only. I've heard that a thousand times since starting to support Hibs.

What has killed Hibs is the six home draws this season. If only Hibs had won those games, it would be between Hibs and the Yams for the title, never mind worrying about a play-off place. Hibs, being the better of the two teams, would have a great chance.

J-C
22-02-2015, 11:26 AM
We lost 4-5 weeks pre season, with all the faffing around getting shot of Butcher, Leeann coming in, Stubbs and his coaches being appointed and then targetting the players needed, all this took around 4-5 weeks to organise and we were left playing catch up, look at us now when all the players have gelled and know each other well.