PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling - opinions

eebsie
21-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Jury is out for me.

Positives - dosen't hide, glimpses of flair, tracked back 3/4 length of pitch near end.
Negatives - poor shooting, wrong options taken, don't see improvements.

I'm not the sort that gets on any players back so hope he comes good. Maybe just needs some lucky breaks and a couple of goals.

worcesterhibby
21-02-2015, 04:47 PM
How come when Hibs win 3-0 there is always some "supporter" on here whose first thought is to post a negative thread about one of the players:rolleyes:

Considering he hasn't played first team for a while. I thought Danny did fine. We won 3-0..could have been 5-0 with a Ref who can spot a penalty.

3pm
21-02-2015, 04:48 PM
How come when Hibs win 3-0 there is always some "supporter" on here whose first thought is to post a negative thread about one of the players:rolleyes:

Considering he hasn't played first team for a while. I thought Danny did fine. We won 3-0..could have been 5-0 with a Ref who can spot a penalty.

It wouldn't have been my first post but I think it's a fair enough question to ask.

eebsie
21-02-2015, 04:52 PM
It's a message board about opinions. It'd be pretty boring if every post was 'well done hibs', every player played equally well and I divide all of my positive and negative thought between them all in equal measure.

If that was the case we would play in biege!

Viva_Palmeiras
Jury is out for me.

Positives - dosen't hide, glimpses of flair, tracked back 3/4 length of pitch near end.

I'm not the sort that gets on any players back so hope he comes good. Maybe just needs some lucky breaks and a couple of goals.

The judge is Stubbs. Nuture the future - he gets it.

eebsie
In English?

lord bunberry
21-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Imo Danny's got it

bingo70
21-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Jury is out for me.

I thought he was alright today but in general is pretty gash. I'd be surprised if he could make an impact at a higher level.

andrew70
21-02-2015, 04:57 PM
One of the best young players we've produced. Stubbs will get the best out of him. As said on the match thread - an intelligent, talented footballer who deserves his long contract.

Brightside
21-02-2015, 04:58 PM
I thought he was alright today but in general is pretty gash. I'd be surprised if he could make an impact at a higher level.

"gash" you cannae stop yourself. Decent performance today...a couple of passes didn't come off but plenty did, also did well to win the ball back in midfield. He tried a couple of one twos with the strikers. Twice (from each striker) the lay off was poor, yet fans slagged off Danny for it.

Would be nice if ALL our fans really got behind players now. Today was like an exhibition and we really shouldn't be crabbing any of our players.

ScottM1875
21-02-2015, 05:01 PM
The thing that annoys me is the 'age card' which keeps being pulled in reference to danny. Yes, he's young, but he's the same age as Fraser Fyvie, only a year or 2 younger than Scott Allan and 2 years older than Jason. Considering the level that we're playing at, if he can't cut it now, then imo he won't reach the potential which so many were raving about.

bingo70
21-02-2015, 05:01 PM
One of the best young players we've produced. Stubbs will get the best out of him. As said on the match thread - an intelligent, talented footballer who deserves his long contract.

I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn today's good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Still think his 4 year deal was crazy

TrinityHibs
21-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Alan Stubbs thinks he's got it and that's good enough for me. Other opinions don't count. In my opinion. Only Hibs would have a thread like this after a good win.

bingo70
21-02-2015, 05:04 PM
"gash" you cannae stop yourself. Decent performance today...a couple of passes didn't come off but plenty did, also did well to win the ball back in midfield. He tried a couple of one twos with the strikers. Twice (from each striker) the lay off was poor, yet fans slagged off Danny for it.

Would be nice if ALL our fans really got behind players now. Today was like an exhibition and we really shouldn't be crabbing any of our players.

"Tried a couple of one twos with strikers"

You're easy pleased.

He doesn't do anywhere near enough and he'll be out the team again shortly.

Brightside
21-02-2015, 05:04 PM

You're easy pleased.

and you'll be delighted. Well done. :agree:

Nomeancity
21-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Doesn't do it for me. Worst player in the team today, always has his back to goal and looks to pass it back the way. I'm all for possession when you are winning but he never seems to dictate or drive play forward.

Andy74
21-02-2015, 05:07 PM
I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn today's good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Me too. Thought he was average to poor today but it is tricky coming into a team doing well for a game when you haven't really been part of it.

The players we have brought in are all outshining him.

Brightside
21-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Alan Stubbs thinks he's got it and that's good enough for me. Other opinions don't count. In my opinion. Only Hibs would have a thread like this after a good win.

Spot on. So very typical.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Really can't make up my mind.

He's not terrible by any reasoning but equally I fail to see how he can be described as 'one of the best young players we've produced'. In what time period? The last 5 years max? Not a huge amount of competition.

I just don't see what he excels at. Doesn't score a lot, doesn't create a lot, doesn't beat men. He's quite neat and tidy and maybe that's all he's being asked to do. He's not a first pick but not a bad player to have as back up.

B.H.F.C
21-02-2015, 05:09 PM

So will I.

Plenty good positions. Very little end product.

Not that it mattered today though. A few of them were a bit wasteful.

BoomtownHibees
21-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Doesn't give enough for a player in his position. Goals to games ratio is poor. Assist record is poor. Looks for the easy option most of the time. One positive is that he seems to pop up in good positions however never gives me confidence that he will do anything. Couple of good chances today from the edge of the area with all the time in the world and missed the target everytime. Almost made a good tackle to stop Malonga getting his 2nd goal.

bingo70

I will be, you're right.

I'll always be happy when players are replaced by better ones. That applies to every player in the team.

TrinityHibs
Doesn't do it for me. Worst player in the team today, always has his back to goal and looks to pass it back the way. I'm all for possession when you are winning but he never seems to dictate or drive play forward.

Maybe it was a good team performance. Somebody has to be the poorest if you have to look for that. Alan Stubbs plays him so he must have something. Or maybe you're right.

Hiber-nation
21-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Totally agree, looked a bit lost today amidst the quality of Fyvie, McGeouch etc. For an attacking midfielder he doesn't score many or create much. I just haven't seen anything from him to warrant a 4 year contract but if Stubbs rates him then there is definitely hope.

No idea why we're not allowed to have a debate about him if we win by the way, very strange.

BoomtownHibees
21-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Maybe it was a good team performance. Somebody has to be the poorest if you have to look for that. Alan Stubbs plays him so he must have something. Or maybe you're right.

Although he wasn't in the squad last week

andrew70
I shouldn't bite as I've said he was alright today and I'd rather not turn Tuesdays good team performance into a negative but posts like yours baffle me. He's done absolutely nothing to suggest he's anything like one of the best young players we've produced. Very rarely has he looked anything more than bang average.

Please explain to me what he does wrong?

Given that he's being played in a relatively new position under Stubbs - he is also a very good striker - his passing percentage will be very high, he's confident enough to run at players and take them on, will do the hard graft as well that he gets no credit for.

Stubbs, thankfully, is more confident in his ability than you are. He's young, he's still learning and if he's given the chance will be a big player for us.

The gaffer wouldn't have given him a 4 year deal or even a place in the squad if he wasn't proving himself capable of being in a winning Hibs team.

Hibs monitor every single player, improving them week in week out Handling is no different.

marinello59
I think DH is a very good, intelligent footballer. Things weren't working out for him in the early stages of the match but rather than hide he kept getting himself involved and I reckon had a decent second half.
He is still raw but I put that down to the previous poor coaching standards at the club. Stubbs will get the best out of him I am sure. We should be supporting him all the way.

Al_Bundy
21-02-2015, 05:16 PM
I find that it takes him about 3 touches before he lifts his head. Generally our play/move has slowed right down & then he plays what some would describe as an easy pass.

That's probably my biggest gripe with him.

Thecat23
21-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Clearly in the squad due to illness to others! So Stubbs never really had a choice today did he?

As for handling as a player, he's very average at best IMO and won't do anything of note in this side after the guys Stubbs has brought in. Expect a loan next season or could even be sold.

HibsNutter
21-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Not his biggest fan, but Allan, Stanton and Craig were all out so he had to play. Think a loan move might do him good.

ancient hibee
21-02-2015, 05:18 PM
He was clearly in the team to keep moving the ball around and did that fine.

andrew70
21-02-2015, 05:20 PM
I think DH is a very good, intelligent footballer. Things weren't working out for him in the early stages of the match but rather than hide he kept getting himself involved and I reckon had a decent second half.
He is still raw but I put that down to the previous poor coaching standards at the club. Stubbs will get the best out of him I am sure. We should be supporting him all the way.
:agree: 100%

hfc rd
21-02-2015, 05:21 PM

This. If Stubbsy thinks he's good enough, then that will do me.

eebsie
21-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Seems plenty of opinions. I hope he becomes a hibs legend. But it is a slow burner. Not gone the way of a Ross Caldwell or Damon (?) Gray but still to show if a Scott Brown or Steven Fletcher.

Thanks for opinions. It's what the board is about.

Hibeesmad
21-02-2015, 05:32 PM
He does some things very well and he does some things poorly at times but he's still developing and it's obvious Stubbs likes him, however I think he could do with being sent out on loan just like Harris to give him the oppurtunity to get regular game time and continue his development

SmashinGlass
21-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Didn't think he had his best game today, but he's young, raw and will develop. I'm not his biggest fan, but I'll support him and look forward to him proving my doubts wrong. I'd feel disgusted with myself if I was to criticise a youngster trying to make his way in the game.

hibby6270
21-02-2015, 05:37 PM
He hasn't played a full game for a while and it showed today.
Still think at times he has last season's safety first attitude by passing the ball back the way too much. When he does decide to go forward he has his moments but even then a lot if his passes forward today were misplaced. Also bar one shot today, his shooting was way off the mark.

lucky
21-02-2015, 05:46 PM
He was ok today but he was the scape goat today for the boo boys/girls. He's still learning and has a chance of making it

HoboHarry
21-02-2015, 05:48 PM
He does some things very well and he does some things poorly at times but he's still developing and it's obvious Stubbs likes him, however I think he could do with being sent out on loan just like Harris to give him the oppurtunity to get regular game time and continue his development
Aye - to a higher league than the one we are in?

Brightside
21-02-2015, 05:48 PM
He hasn't played a full game for a while and it showed today.
Still think at times he has last season's safety first attitude by passing the ball back the way too much. When he does decide to go forward he has his moments but even then a lot if his passes forward today were misplaced. Also bar one shot today, his shooting was way off the mark.

There is nothing wrong with passing the ball back... we really need to wake up to this. Its about keeping the ball. He did very little wrong today.

tanfield
21-02-2015, 05:49 PM
I thought he did ok but whole team played well which helped him. He plays with his back to goal too much for my liking and doesn't seem to have the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck if need be.

Overall I'm not convinced that he is or will be good enough.

Bronson
21-02-2015, 06:05 PM
I don't see it at all, I'd be surprised if he made the bench for us when the squad is fully fit.

Stanton is a far superior player IMO.

Nando™
21-02-2015, 06:08 PM
People jumping on the OP just because Hibs won :hilarious

Brightside
21-02-2015, 06:10 PM
People jumping on the OP just because Hibs won :hilarious

eh?? jumping on the constant negative vibe that comes from the same old faces.

Nando™
21-02-2015, 06:18 PM
eh?? jumping on the constant negative vibe that comes from the same old faces.

It's a perfectly acceptable subject though, the division in opinion proves this. It doesn't matter when it's posted.

Ronniekirk
21-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Still think we haven't seen him consistently perform at his best ,but he hasn't been playing regularly for first team and with the players we now have it's going to be difficult for him and Stanton to get into the Team so they need to make the most of any chance they get .

andrew70
21-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Still think we haven't seen him consistently perform at his best ,but he hasn't been playing regularly for first team and with the players we now have it's going to be difficult for him and Stanton to get into the Team so they need to make the most of any chance they get .

It will be difficult but both will benefit from the change in the way our players are now being coached, guided and nurtured.

They are players of great ability who should be encouraged rather than knocked.

Ronniekirk
21-02-2015, 06:51 PM
It will be difficult but both will benefit from the change in the way our players are now being coached, guided and nurtured.

They are players of great ability who should be encouraged rather than knocked.
Think if we had a bigger squad one of them might of gone out on loan I really liked Stanton last season and thought he would of had more game time but agree they are the future and have better chance under current coaches to improve as players

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Danny is a regular reader of .net and unfortunately really lets the criticism get to him.
If you're reading this Danny, chin up. You were fine today. Not everything came off for you but that was as much to do with others on a couple of occasions. Good tracking back in the second half and a decent strike that stung the keepers hands near the end as well.

macca70
21-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Thought he was very poor.

For an attacking midfielder he created nothing and showed no desire to drive forward with the ball.

JimBHibees
21-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Think he has ability and did ok today. Can be frustrating at times. Bit of patience required.

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2015, 07:21 PM
I thought he played a few good passes today and was unfortunate that Djedje in particular didn't read them.

He was also unfortunate that Liam Craig wasn't playing today cos this threads normally about him.

Northernhibee
21-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Talented lad.

cloudy
21-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Thought he was very poor.

For an attacking midfielder he created nothing and showed no desire to drive forward with the ball.

Did I not read that danny was playing as a defensive midfielder for the u20s and played very well? Maybe that's his best and future position

Famous Fiver
21-02-2015, 08:12 PM
The new Craig according to the know alls round about me.

Why do we always have to have a scapegoat?

NOLA
21-02-2015, 08:31 PM
reminds me of dean shiels, 1 good game every 4, still wonder how he got that long contract considering both Allan/McGeuch are ahead of him

21-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Not convinced by him really. Has the odd moments here and there but generally I dont really rate him. Too lightweight today IMO. Perhaps a loan spell away like Harris has had may be benefitial.

hibby6270
21-02-2015, 08:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with passing the ball back... we really need to wake up to this. Its about keeping the ball. He did very little wrong today.

I suppose passing the ball back 2nd half was OK after we went 3 up. It was his 1st half showing I was mainly referring to. Showed his rustiness having not played a lot recently and certainly from where I was sitting a lot of his passing was a bit off at times.

I wasn't slagging him off. He knows the system and needs time to adjust back to how he was playing before the turn of the year.

Hibeesmad
21-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Aye - to a higher league than the one we are in?

If we get a better player in return then why not 😏

NorthNorfolkHFC
21-02-2015, 08:53 PM
I've already been hammered on another thread for having an opinion.
I don't think he's good enough. If i was asked to describe his redeeming qualities I would struggle. Compare him to our other midfielders eg. Fyvie, Allan, Robertson et al and they have specific abilities and qualities. On an injury free day Danny would be nowhere near the team and possibly lucky to be on the bench.

It's not scapegoating but we always select a man of the match so naturally we will look for under performers and today was no different. Danny was very poor and way below what many would agree is now our bench mark.

Ultimately though Stubbs is the man and we won 3-0 so that is what really matters.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

whiskyhibby
21-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Not convinced by him really. Has the odd moments here and there but generally I dont really rate him. Too lightweight today IMO. Perhaps a loan spell away like Harris has had may be benefitial.

Disagree, he looked pretty comfortable on the ball and not very often brushed off it, a few poor passes but I think he did pretty well today for his first start in a while

21-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Disagree, he looked pretty comfortable on the ball and not very often brushed off it, a few poor passes but I think he did pretty well today for his first start in a while

Not saying he's a bad player but just think we have a lot of better options. We can get away with play Handling in easier games but when it comes to the bigger battles like the derby etc. then Handling is far too out of his depth unfortunatly.

HoboHarry
21-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I've already been hammered on another thread for having an opinion.
I don't think he's good enough. If i was asked to describe his redeeming qualities I would struggle. Compare him to our other midfielders eg. Fyvie, Allan, Robertson et al and they have specific abilities and qualities. On an injury free day Danny would be nowhere near the team and possibly lucky to be on the bench.

It's not scapegoating but we always select a man of the match so naturally we will look for under performers and today was no different. Danny was very poor and way below what many would agree is now our bench mark.

Ultimately though Stubbs is the man and we won 3-0 so that is what really matters.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"
Speak for yourself with that comment - I don't. If a player is under-performing then the coaching staff will address that and I personally feel no need to slate a Hibs player on a public forum at any time. I prefer to stick with the positives....

NorthNorfolkHFC
21-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Speak for yourself with that comment - I don't. If a player is under-performing then the coaching staff will address that and I personally feel no need to slate a Hibs player on a public forum at any time. I prefer to stick with the positives....

Good lad. I envy your positivity. Not slating a player, admittedly my original post was overly harsh but suggesting we could do better than Danny is not slating him.

JimBHibees
21-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Not saying he's a bad player but just think we have a lot of better options. We can get away with play Handling in easier games but when it comes to the bigger battles like the derby etc. then Handling is far too out of his depth unfortunatly.

Disagree he played really well against rangers more than once this session.

happiehibbie
21-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Handling ? just because you see a lot of the ball does not mean you have played well ! he completes passes of 10 yards anything longer usually does not. I have asked a few football people about him all have said the same not good enough apart from one Colin cameron who defended him by saying he is an out and out forward and is played in the wrong position .

I think today Stubbs gave a few players a chance to play today as we have a lot of games coming up when was the last time we could say that Handling is a squad player who will be developed over time I hope for Hibs he works out but at the moment for me not good enough

Stevie Reid
21-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Thought he was fine today. Didn't do a lot wrong but I think that people focus on the things that don't come off for him much more than they do for most of our other players.

I think he looks like a very good footballer, and take a lot of heart from the faith in him that Stubbs obviously has.

Scouse Hibee
21-02-2015, 10:36 PM
I'll wait until a defeat before I slag any of our players.

truehibernian
21-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Thought he was fine today. Didn't do a lot wrong but I think that people focus on the things that don't come off for him much more than they do for most of our other players.

I think he looks like a very good footballer, and take a lot of heart from the faith in him that Stubbs obviously has.

Needs to do more to win the fans round Stevie......I'm a huge huge fan of him and in his corner, but today he coasted to the extent he looked lazy......and it showed with some slack passing.

The game today annoyed me.......a win is great, but we played 2nd half like a training game. I don't like witnessing that.

Go for the throat in games :agree:

McKenzie
21-02-2015, 11:20 PM
No doubt he has ability. Don't think he's found his natural position yet.

Stevie Reid
21-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Needs to do more to win the fans round Stevie......I'm a huge huge fan of him and in his corner, but today he coasted to the extent he looked lazy......and it showed with some slack passing.

The game today annoyed me.......a win is great, but we played 2nd half like a training game. I don't like witnessing that.

Go for the throat in games :agree:

He certainly gave the ball away cheaply at times and it wasn't his best day - from someone hoping to cement his place in the team it was nowhere near good enough; but similarly he's miles away from being written off as someone who could be a valuable player for us, IMO.

I take your point about the game, no doubt we could have had a cricket score today had we chosen to go for the jugular. However, given that we had the game won very early in the second half, I was happy for the players not to exert themselves too much - cementing our place in the top four is the most important thing right now.

That said, Dumbarton today offered possibly the worst away performance I've ever seen at ER - the game resembled a pre-season friendly versus amateur opposition for most of the game.

The_Exile
21-02-2015, 11:24 PM
Doesn't seem to be progressing much but his appearances are a bit stop and start which won't help. The whole 4 year contract thing is a bit odd, I'm assuming it'll be rammed with clauses but he must have a hard drive full of comprising photos of Stubbsy or something to have got a 4 year deal.

truehibernian
21-02-2015, 11:31 PM
He certainly gave the ball away cheaply at times and it wasn't his best day - from someone hoping to cement his place in the team it was nowhere near good enough; but similarly he's miles away from being written off as someone who could be a valuable player for us, IMO.

I take your point about the game, no doubt we could have had a cricket score today had we chosen to go for the jugular. However, given that we had the game won very early in the second half, I was happy for the players not to exert themselves too much - cementing our place in the top four is the most important thing right now.

That said, Dumbarton today offered possibly the worst away performance I've ever seen at ER - the game resembled a pre-season friendly versus amateur opposition for most of the game.

Goal difference will matter at the business end with The Rangers.....and they don't score many at present.

We could and should have won 6 or 7 nil today - Nid's job is shoogly peg too, as that was the worst away showing I have seen since Bohemians visited in a friendly......awful :rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
21-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Stubbs' signing record has been immense, and he won't have given Danny a four year for nothing.

Similarly, he's not pig headed enough to stick with something that's not working, and Danny's progression as a player cannot come at the expense of the team's.

I think he has quality, and his time will come - but he's not offering what we need often enough when he plays at the moment.

Sometimes little things make a big difference - who knows how Danny's season might have turned out had he not been sent off in what was an impressive goal scoring performance at Ibrox in our first game of the season?

Stevie Reid
21-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Goal difference will matter at the business end with The Rangers.....and they don't score many at present.

We could and should have won 6 or 7 nil today - Nid's job is shoogly peg too, as that was the worst away showing I have seen since Bohemians visited in a friendly......awful :rolleyes:

I would love to have seen us score more, don't get me wrong TH - but we still created plenty of chances playing as we did.

Come the end of the season, it will be the matches where we couldn't find a win that will have hurt us more than those where we could have won by more.

No complaints from me today.

Brightside
22-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Handling ? just because you see a lot of the ball does not mean you have played well ! he completes passes of 10 yards anything longer usually does not. I have asked a few football people about him all have said the same not good enough apart from one Colin cameron who defended him by saying he is an out and out forward and is played in the wrong position .

I think today Stubbs gave a few players a chance to play today as we have a lot of games coming up when was the last time we could say that Handling is a squad player who will be developed over time I hope for Hibs he works out but at the moment for me not good enough
Completed at least 10 20yrd passes today. Picking the ball up in the middle and playing it out for Watson and Lewis. Which went on to create chances. And yes he also played about 30 10yd passes. But we can't be having that eh. Keeping the ball, knocking it about, loads of short passes, waiting for the openings. This is exactly how we should be playing football.

andrew70
22-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Completed at least 10 20yrd passes today. Picking the ball up in the middle and playing it out for Watson and Lewis. Which went on to create chances. And yes he also played about 30 10yd passes. But we can't be having that eh. Keeping the ball, knocking it about, loads of short passes, waiting for the openings. This is exactly how we should be playing football.

Some people just don't get that, the groans when a ball goes back the way or sideways tells us that.

As I've said before absolutely everything that the players do is monitored if Danny was struggling he'd be told. Simple as that.

He was taking out the firing line for a bit and when he required he was put straight back in.

Quality player.

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Some people just don't get that, the groans when a ball goes back the way or sideways tells us that.

As I've said before absolutely everything that the players do is monitored if Danny was struggling he'd be told. Simple as that.

He was taking out the firing line for a bit and when he required he was put straight back in.

Quality player.

Completely agree and it is embarressing, do the people doing the groaning not watch decent football on the tv when the best teams all keep possession of the ball including going back round and then use the other side of the pitch. Pretty basic concept to be honest including going back to the goalie also.

B.H.F.C
22-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Quality player.

He wasn't taken out the firing line. He was dropped as he wasn't doing enough. He came in yesterday when the numbers were down.

Did he do enough to remain in the team when other players are available again? I don't think so. We were playing against a poor, poor side. He's neat and tidy but in games like this he should be grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and really showing his apparent quality.

Interesting that when we had everyone available except Farid last week he didn't even make the bench.

Billy Whizz
22-02-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm getting sick of this Danny bashing too. He's played in nearly every midfield/forward position for Hibs in his short career. Yes he had a few missed place passes yesterday, but who didn't. Also got into a few decent scoring positions as well, and perhaps could have done a bit better.
Danny is a confidence player, but if he's getting bashed at every opportunity, what chance does he have.
If Stubbs picks him, that's good enough for me

Smartie
22-02-2015, 10:28 AM
I wasn't at the game yesterday but I quite like him.

He has a decent touch and does the simple things well. Playing at the tip of the diamond he's good at keeping the ball with accurate, simple passing whilst we wait for the opportunity to play a killer ball. I'd probably back him over just about anyone else in the squad to be able to play that short, killer ball when the chance comes. He picks up nice positions just off the front two in order to make those passes (Scott Allan is superb at longer passing but sometimes his tricky wee threaded ones don't come off either).

There must have been a bit of rustiness yesterday. It's hard to just be dropped into a team playing well and just get up to speed straight away. By the sounds of it he was generally fine, a few passes went astray but he also made some good challenges. It's not as if he had a howler and sold the jerseys. It's a squad game, sometimes you just need players to come in and do a job, as he did, without relying on them to be a standout.

His biggest problem for me is that he is too lightweight, which is fine when there are no players near him but he tends to get muscled off the ball to easily (even players that may appear small and light can have a certain "wiriness" about them that makes players bounce off them). That and the fact that he does seem a bit sensitive. He probably takes misplaces passes etc a bit to heart and you can see in his body language that he takes it badly rather than just letting it go.

4 years did seem a bit strange to me. It's hard for us to justify 4 years for anyone to be honest.

He's a decent player. Not one that I would build a team around at present but a very worthy squad player who has the potential to be more.

andrew70
22-02-2015, 10:40 AM
He wasn't taken out the firing line. He was dropped as he wasn't doing enough. He came in yesterday when the numbers were down.

Did he do enough to remain in the team when other players are available again? I don't think so. We were playing against a poor, poor side. He's neat and tidy but in games like this he should be grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and really showing his apparent quality.

Interesting that when we had everyone available except Farid last week he didn't even make the bench.

This is the last thing I will say on this subject because some people just clearly have it in for Danny and it is completely out of order.

He was taken out of the firing line. No doubt about it. He was given a rest and more experienced players played ahead of him, rightly so for now, in the starting eleven. Our squad is extremely strong and changes will be made but using these changes to have a dig at a talented up and coming young player.

I think it has become the norm to knock our players especially the younger ones and just because Handling, Harris, Stanton et al have all played several games for us doesn't mean they are the finished article. In fact due to previous mis-management they are possibly behind where they should be. I only hope some of our fans give them time to realise their true potential under much better man-management and coaching.

J-C
22-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Danny is not a striker but an attacing mid, unfortunately for him he has 2-3 players in front of him, so has to shine every time he gets a game which is hard to do if you're not playing regularly. He does have a lot of talent but needs to find composure in the final pass/shot etc which hopefully with the coaching he's getting he'll come good, hence the long contract. He's still young so why not give him our support and fingers crossed he'll be a top player for years to come, remember his performance against Rangers in the Petrofac before he was sent off, he was outstanding till then.

Hibernian Verse
22-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Let's be honest he was awful yesterday. Skied the ball over the bar a few times, misplaced a lot of passes, dived about like Ronaldo.

Not a good performance.

The_Horde
22-02-2015, 11:04 AM
He's a good player. Finds space well and links well with the midfield.

Needs to work on his final product but there's talent there. Good enough for stubbs, good enough for me.

DTS
22-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I think Danny has a lot of potential and his best position is in behind the strikers like yesterday, he seen a lot of the ball and didn't lose it that often. Yes he didn't finish well at all yesterday but instead of hiding he kept coming back and getting into positions to at least have a shot. I don't see how he can show his quality regularly enough to please some people as he hasn't had a run of games since the start of the season which he started well and Stubbs gave him a 4 year contract so obviously see's potential there

B.H.F.C
22-02-2015, 11:14 AM
I think Danny has a lot of potential and his best position is in behind the strikers like yesterday, he seen a lot of the ball and didn't lose it that often. Yes he didn't finish well at all yesterday but instead of hiding he kept coming back and getting into positions to at least have a shot. I don't see how he can show his quality regularly enough to please some people as he hasn't had a run of games since the start of the season which he started well and Stubbs gave him a 4 year contract so obviously see's potential there

He played about 15 games in a row up to and including the new year Derby. Can't get a fairer run in the side than that.

J-C
22-02-2015, 11:16 AM
He played about 15 games in a row up to and including the new year Derby. Can't get a fairer run in the side than that.

And were these 15 full 90 min games or the odd 5-10 mins here and there :rolleyes:

B.H.F.C
22-02-2015, 11:23 AM
And were these 15 full 90 min games or the odd 5-10 mins here and there :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he started every week right through November/Decenber. Pretty much the whole time McGeough was out. When he came back, Allan changed position and Handling lost his place.

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Let's be honest he was awful yesterday. Skied the ball over the bar a few times, misplaced a lot of passes, dived about like Ronaldo.

Not a good performance.

He certainly wasnt awful, his finishing was poor though.

J-C
22-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Pretty sure he started every week right through November/Decenber. Pretty much the whole time McGeough was out. When he came back, Allan changed position and Handling lost his place.

Yep you're right, didn't realise he played all those games during that period.

Unseen work
22-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I know it's hard to judge but

Based on the highlights he looked very sharp and was cause a lot of problems

BoomtownHibees
22-02-2015, 12:25 PM
This is the last thing I will say on this subject because some people just clearly have it in for Danny and it is completely out of order.

He was taken out of the firing line. No doubt about it. He was given a rest and more experienced players played ahead of him, rightly so for now, in the starting eleven. Our squad is extremely strong and changes will be made but using these changes to have a dig at a talented up and coming young player.

I think it has become the norm to knock our players especially the younger ones and just because Handling, Harris, Stanton et al have all played several games for us doesn't mean they are the finished article. In fact due to previous mis-management they are possibly behind where they should be. I only hope some of our fans give them time to realise their true potential under much better man-management and coaching.

So was he rested or taken out of "the firing line" whatever you mean by that?

Smartie
22-02-2015, 01:31 PM

That was an important run of games during which the fortunes of the team changed. He played an important role in the team and played a big part in helping turn us from being the team we were at the start of the season to the team that we are now (as did Liam Craig btw).

Bishop Hibee
22-02-2015, 01:33 PM
If he can't look good against a poor Dumbarton team then I can't see him being in the first team very often.

greenlex
22-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Craig's not playing so it's only right we find a scapegoat for something.

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Indeed quite tedious really.

truehibernian
22-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Meanwhile over at Fir Park yesterday our other scapegoat, I mean youngster, turned in a man of the match performance for Dundee again - well done Alex, haste ye back son :top marks:aok:

bingo70
22-02-2015, 07:10 PM

We won, what is he a scapegoat for?

This is a hibs forum and we're discussing a hibs player, if some of us don't particularly rate him, that doesn't make him a scapegoat.

Jonnyboy
22-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Worth looking at these highlights if you haven't already done so. Yes Danny fired over the bar a couple of times but so too did Malonga and Dje Dje. Lots of pleasing things about Danny's play IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfNo9eQGyJc

Kato
22-02-2015, 07:35 PM
It's not scapegoating but we always select a man of the match so naturally we will look for under performers

"

Speaks volumes about "opinions" and "ego" on message boards.

You're not obliged to slag any player off. Slagging younger players off is not "natural".

Is your opinion that important in this area that you have to go on and on about it?

BoomtownHibees
22-02-2015, 07:44 PM

So because folk don't think he's that good a player it makes him a scapegoat?

HoboHarry
22-02-2015, 07:49 PM
So because folk don't think he's that good a player it makes him a scapegoat?
It does when they are so biased that they refuse to see anything that is good about him.

HibbyAndy
22-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Doesn't deserve a starting place.

Simpy not good enough.

FranckSuzy
22-02-2015, 07:56 PM
How come most of the support trusts AS to spot a player-either loan or permanent-but can't back him when he gives a player a longer contract when, let's face it, he sees a lot more of them than us? :confused:

bingo70
22-02-2015, 08:01 PM
How come most of the support trusts AS to spot a player-either loan or permanent-but can't back him when he gives a player a longer contract when, let's face it, he sees a lot more of them than us? :confused:

Who says we don't back him?

We can still have an opinion on a player though. Stubbs is doing a good job but he's not some footballing messiah that's above question.

HoboHarry
22-02-2015, 08:04 PM

We can still have an opinion on a player though. Stubbs is doing a good job but he's not some footballing messiah that's above question.
He doesn't have to be a messiah. He just needs to have more credibility that some of the "fans" on this forum. He has that in spades in terms of football knowledge and ability to spot a player....

FranckSuzy
22-02-2015, 08:07 PM

You're easy pleased.

The above posts are from page one alone....

Prof. Shaggy
22-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Worth looking at these highlights if you haven't already done so. Yes Danny fired over the bar a couple of times but so too did Malonga and Dje Dje. Lots of pleasing things about Danny's play IMO

Yup.
Watched Mr Messi blast one way over last night.

col02
22-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I like Handling as a player and like the positions he gets himself into. He is always available in the attacking third to receive the ball and help retain possession. Imho this is a key role playing in the attacking midfield role in the diamond. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I firmly believe given support rather than criticism he will come good.

happiehibbie
22-02-2015, 08:25 PM
I don't think danny is good enough my opinion on a forum
On this form the Hibs supporters club did a question answer with Jimmy o Rouke his view on danny was a plastic bag blowing in the wind can't be sure if that's word for word I know you like picking people up here. I am a ST holder I have watched players come and go. I understand about how the game should be played. I have coached kids and adults and played to a decent level I have more medals than Gary McKay ! Football is all about opinions #GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
22-02-2015, 08:30 PM
The above posts are from page one alone....

Don't get you?

I don't rate handling, I still back Stubbs though.

I think he was wrong to give him a 4 year deal. You can still back the manager and disagree with some of his decisions.

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Don't get you?

I don't rate handling, I still back Stubbs though.

I think he was wrong to give him a 4 year deal. You can still back the manager and disagree with some of his decisions.

This is the point exactly.

People say picking on players is 'scapegoating' which seems to be the new in phrase after 'happy clapping'.

After every performance there will always be areas or parts of the team we can improve. On Saturday I felt Danny was one are that could be improved. Had Scott Allan been fit he wouldn't have played.

Even with our top team out there will be positions that can be improved so it's not picking on players. If Danny handling was to miraculously start showing signs of improvement then I will happily re think my opinion but I don't think he has the required skill set.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Quiet but very effective, we struggle to break teams down without him. Stats will show this.

Brightside
22-02-2015, 08:49 PM
I don't think danny is good enough my opinion on a forum
On this form the Hibs supporters club did a question answer with Jimmy o Rouke his view on danny was a plastic bag blowing in the wind can't be sure if that's word for word I know you like picking people up here. I am a ST holder I have watched players come and go. I understand about how the game should be played. I have coached kids and adults and played to a decent level I have more medals than Gary McKay ! Football is all about opinions #GGTTH

you might want to lay off the drink...just my opinion.

BoomtownHibees
22-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Quiet but very effective, we struggle to break teams down without him. Stats will show this.

I'd like to see these stats

happiehibbie
22-02-2015, 08:51 PM

I have man flu

FranckSuzy
22-02-2015, 08:54 PM

:tee hee:

bigwheel
I think Danny H is one of those players that opponents don't like playing against. He has good movement off the ball, difficult to track/mark....he tends to find good positions in midfield or behind the front two. Some players are like that, opposing managers rate them higher than sometimes even their own.

There is no doubt he has good technique in a number of areas. That said, he will be disappointed in his shift yesterday. He had a chance to stake a claim to start regularly again, and didn't do anywhere near enough. Bench next week.

happiehibbie
We need a like button on here

B.H.F.C
22-02-2015, 08:55 PM
This is the point exactly.

People say picking on players is 'scapegoating' which seems to be the new in phrase after 'happy clapping'.

After every performance there will always be areas or parts of the team we can improve. On Saturday I felt Danny was one are that could be improved. Had Scott Allan been fit he wouldn't have played.

Even with our top team out there will be positions that can be improved so it's not picking on players. If Danny handling was to miraculously start showing signs of improvement then I will happily re think my opinion but I don't think he has the required skill set.

I agree and I think Lewis Stevenson is a good example here.

He always came in for a bit criticism for lack of end product. He's really added that to his game this year and, funnily enough, you don't really see threads like this one popping up about him now.

If Danny Handling starts creating and scoring goals on a regular basis, people will be less critical of him. If he doesn't then people like me will continue to say he doesn't do enough.

As for the argument that its Stubbs opinion that counts, yes, it is. But if we just agreed with every single thing the manager did then you'd be as well shutting this place down.

B.H.F.C
22-02-2015, 08:59 PM

He went out the team after the Hearts game.

3 goals v Falkirk
5 goals v Cowdenbeath
2 v Qots
Only one v Raith. Certainly not for lack of chances.
3 goals v Arbroath
2 goals v Rangers

I don't think we struggle to break teams down without him.

macd123
22-02-2015, 09:06 PM

I must say im delighted with the quality of our scapegoats these days. Harris, handling and stevenson are the best we have had for a long time.

HibbyAndy
22-02-2015, 09:18 PM

Behave yersel.

--------
23-02-2015, 10:48 AM

He started in 15 games this season - 12 of them since October 18th. He had a run of 12 starts from 18/10/14 to 03/01/15, but only completed one of those games.

In 12 of those 15 games he's been subbed in the second half, the earliest being on 61 minutes at home to Queens.

He's come on as a sub 8 times, once just after HT, 3 times in the last 5 minutes, when Stubbs was just slowing things down and seeing time out.

3 goals, no yellow cards, and his only red was in the very first game he played - at Ibrox, where he was playing well and had scored our goal.

Which makes me wonder if he's trying so hard to keep out of trouble that he's just not doing himself justice in the games?

Stewboy
23-02-2015, 11:00 AM
He probably wouldn't be a starter for me but is an excellent player to have as an option.

If he is the type of player we have as backup then we are on the right track

MB62
23-02-2015, 11:22 AM
He probably wouldn't be a starter for me but is an excellent player to have as an option.

If he is the type of player we have as backup then we are on the right track

Totally agree. :agree:
He's far from being the worst player I have seen in a Hibs jersey in recent years and whilst he's no Scott Allan or Dylan 'McGoosh' :greengrin he is not a bad laddie to have available as a replacement. He is not feared to have a pop at goal either, which is always a plus point IMO.

Mathias Jack
23-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Did I not read that danny was playing as a defensive midfielder for the u20s and played very well? Maybe that's his best and future position

Funny you should say that, he played there in the pre-season friendly against Dundee United. Thought he had a good game that day.

Didn't have the best of games on Saturday, but he's still a young lad (21 I think?), developing all the time. I'm sure Stubbsy and his backroom team will get the best out of him.

On the topic of young players, nice to see Connor Duthie get on for the last 5-10 mins on Saturday too.

Gatecrasher
23-02-2015, 11:44 AM
How old is Danny? 21? for me he is still developing into his role, He flows in and out of games a bit but generally performs well without stamping his authority on the game too much. He makes some clever passes but can be caught in possetion from time to time. I think he well get better, he's only had about 40 or 50 games in senior football.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2015, 12:13 PM
I must say im delighted with the quality of our scapegoats these days. Harris, handling and stevenson are the best we have had for a long time.

What !!!

This shows how far we have sunk as a club. These folk are nowhere near as good as the scapegoats we have had at this club in the past. Are you trying to tell me these guys can measure up to legends like Brazil or Tortolano? Huv a word wi yersel.

Brazil........ I know for a fact turned down a job coaching scapegoats in Argentina.

Tortolano ........ came close to being nominated for UEFA's 'Bouc Emissaire Ballon D'or in 1988 .... though he did win the award for best sending off in a testimonial match that year.

Before these kids get too cocky they need to learn the lesson of Stuart Lovell at the end of the 90s. This guy had it all, everybody could see he was going to be a world class scapegoat and its a well known fact Real Madrid's scapegoat scout had been to see him a couple of times. Then it all went wrong, good performance followed good performance. So much so that he lost his place as scapegoat in the Australian national team ...... It all ended in the ultimate humiliation of a lot of the fans being sorry to see him go. I know a lot of older Hibs fans still don't like to talk about it.

It cant be hidden that 'Lovell's disgrace' as it came to be known started with some fans saying there was "a player in there" and "lets give the guy a chance" ...... Is that what we want for our new generation of scapegoats? !!!

FFS .... Don't give these kids a break and get on their backs.

J-C
23-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Funny you should say that, he played there in the pre-season friendly against Dundee United. Thought he had a good game that day.

Didn't have the best of games on Saturday, but he's still a young lad (21 I think?), developing all the time. I'm sure Stubbsy and his backroom team will get the best out of him.

On the topic of young players, nice to see Connor Duthie get on for the last 5-10 mins on Saturday too.

Don't know if defensive mid was the position more of deep lying playmaker a position Allan has played a lot this year, dropping deep to collect the ball from defense and making things tick.

--------
23-02-2015, 02:26 PM
What !!!

This shows how far we have sunk as a club. These folk are nowhere near as good as the scapegoats we have had at this club in the past. Are you trying to tell me these guys can measure up to legends like Brazil or Tortolano? Huv a word wi yersel.

Brazil........ I know for a fact turned down a job coaching scapegoats in Argentina.

Tortolano ........ came close to being nominated for UEFA's 'Bouc Emissaire Ballon D'or in 1988 .... though he did win the award for best sending off in a testimonial match that year.

Before these kids get too cocky they need to learn the lesson of Stuart Lovell at the end of the 90s. This guy had it all, everybody could see he was going to be a world class scapegoat and its a well known fact Real Madrid's scapegoat scout had been to see him a couple of times. Then it all went wrong, good performance followed good performance. So much so that he lost his place as scapegoat in the Australian national team ...... It all ended in the ultimate humiliation of a lot of the fans being sorry to see him go. I know a lot of older Hibs fans still don't like to talk about it.

It cant be hidden that 'Lovell's disgrace' as it came to be known started with some fans saying there was "a player in there" and "lets give the guy a chance" ...... Is that what we want for our new generation of scapegoats? !!!

Just what I was thinking.

I can go farther back - Thomson Allan was a world-class goalkeeping scapegoat until he moved to Dundee - never the same again, sadly. So far did he fall from scapegoating grace he actually played for Scotland. And that was a man who was once blamed for being personally responsible for 17 consecutive goals conceded during the last two months of 1968, including ALL SIX scored by Celtic in the 6-2 League Cup Final of that year. I need not mention that so far had he lost his ability to play the role of scapegoat that a few years later he played for Dundee in the same fixture and KEPT A CLEAN SHEET!

Then there was Brian Hamilton who only really developed as a scapegoat after he came to ER from St Mirren. It's a measure of his stature in the role that so many posters on here still blame him for almost anything that went wrong while he was at the club. He and Joe T formed a masterful partnership as defensive midfield scapegoats in the 1990's.

Of course, they had a wonderful mentor in Alex Miller, himself a scapegoat of the very highest quality.

Young Handling has a lot to learn before he can claim to be a scapegoat 'legend' in the mould of the scapegoat of past seasons at ER.

Smartie
23-02-2015, 02:38 PM

I can go farther back - Thomson Allan was a world-class goalkeeping scapegoat until he moved to Dundee - never the same again, sadly. So far did he fall from scapegoating grace he actually played for Scotland. And that was a man who was once blamed for being personally responsible for 17 consecutive goals conceded during the last two months of 1968, including ALL SIX scored by Celtic in the 6-2 League Cup Final of that year. I need not mention that so far had he lost his ability to play the role of scapegoat that a few years later he played for Dundee in the same fixture and KEPT A CLEAN SHEET!

Then there was Brian Hamilton who only really developed as a scapegoat after he came to ER from St Mirren. It's a measure of his stature in the role that so many posters on here still blame him for almost anything that went wrong while he was at the club. He and Joe T formed a masterful partnership as defensive midfield scapegoats in the 1990's.

Of course, they had a wonderful mentor in Alex Miller, himself a scapegoat of the very highest quality.

Young Handling has a lot to learn before he can claim to be a scapegoat 'legend' in the mould of the scapegoat of past seasons at ER.

Many of you won't have heard of him as his contribution at Easter Road was generally "unseen" but Brian Kerr has to be mentioned as a scapegoat.

He had a half-decent pedigree prior to arriving but was essentially a cut-price replacement for some of the best players we have seen at Easter Road in the past 30 years or so.

His career at Hibs peaked after about 6 minutes when he scored the derby winner on his debut. Unfortunately it was all downhill for him from there.

I think that it is important when we are scapegoating that we direct all the abuse possible at the player in question, even if his only crime is to be not quite as good as the one that he is trying his best to replace.

--------
23-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Many of you won't have heard of him as his contribution at Easter Road was generally "unseen" but Brian Kerr has to be mentioned as a scapegoat.

He had a half-decent pedigree prior to arriving but was essentially a cut-price replacement for some of the best players we have seen at Easter Road in the past 30 years or so.

His career at Hibs peaked after about 6 minutes when he scored the derby winner on his debut. Unfortunately it was all downhill for him from there.

I think that it is important when we are scapegoating that we direct all the abuse possible at the player in question, even if his only crime is to be not quite as good as the one that he is trying his best to replace.

Indeed. Alen Orman would probably attribute his outstanding career as a Hibernian scapegoat to the way the fans would abuse him from the moment he appeared on the field at the start of the warm-up to the point when he disappeared up the tunnel at the end of the game. Everything about him was grist to the scapegoaters' mill - his appearance, his nationality, even the unfortunate fact that he suffered from epileptic seizures. This was considered to be purely malicious on his part; I clearly remember him suffering a seizure towards the end of the warm-up before a home game against Motherwell, and many dedicated scapegoaters howling abuse at him even while the medical staff were treating him. He had to leave the field and didn't play that day, yet even in his absence from the field some of his detractors still continued to abuse him in absentia. Such dedication!

I cannot worthily describe my feelings during this incident - so peculiarly characteristic of certain members of the Hibs support.

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Cant believe I had forgotten about Brian Hamilton. This was a scapegoat only fully appreciated by the scapegoating connoisseur. To the run of the mill scapegoaters his rather graceful style as a player and odd goal here and there may have lead some to regard him as a player worthy only of abuse from time to time. But to the eye of the cultured and experienced amongst us this was a man fully deserving of constant abuse.

As the years go by and we continue to see a drop in standard of the players stepping into the scapegoat role I'm sure we will appreciate him more.

Unseen work
23-02-2015, 10:14 PM
He started in 15 games this season - 12 of them since October 18th. He had a run of 12 starts from 18/10/14 to 03/01/15, but only completed one of those games.

In 12 of those 15 games he's been subbed in the second half, the earliest being on 61 minutes at home to Queens.

He's come on as a sub 8 times, once just after HT, 3 times in the last 5 minutes, when Stubbs was just slowing things down and seeing time out.

3 goals, no yellow cards, and his only red was in the very first game he played - at Ibrox, where he was playing well and had scored our goal.

Which makes me wonder if he's trying so hard to keep out of trouble that he's just not doing himself justice in the games?

For me he doesn't try keep out of trouble at all, by not getting booked doesn't mean he isn't trying

3 goals in 15 starts from midfield isn't that bad and if he had started as muh as allan Robertson etc he would probably be our top goal scorer from midfield

Allan only scoring 1 and Robertson 5

NAE NOOKIE
23-02-2015, 10:30 PM

This is what we need to drum into the younger fans. In the old days our scapegoats were one club scapegoats, but now the abuse is mainly on line and as a result we see quality scapegoats like Kerr and Rowan Vine leaving for smaller clubs, but where the quality of abuse is so much better.

Thecat23
23-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Thing is people saying "he's still young" or "hes still maturing" I don't buy that crap!! He's a year younger than Scotty Allan and he's miles away from him. Danny needs to show he can cope in this league to stand a chance of getting first team football. I wished we sent him out on loan like Harris to give him more game time and see what he can do!

He nearly ****ed up the third goal by running across Malonga and that shouldn't be happening. I think he really needs to up his performances or he'll be sold or let go IMO.

Unseen work
23-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Thing is people saying "he's still young" or "hes still maturing" I don't buy that crap!! He's a year younger than Scotty Allan and he's miles away from him. Danny needs to show he can cope in this league to stand a chance of getting first team football. I wished we sent him out on loan like Harris to give him more game time and see what he can do!

He nearly ****ed up the third goal by running across Malonga and that shouldn't be happening. I think he really needs to up his performances or he'll be sold or let go IMO.

He's 3 years younger than allan, Danny has just turned 21 and Scott is 24 later in the year.

Scott it playing well under his level though so I feel comparing the two is unfair.

Him and Stanton play a similar role but Stubbs obviously much prefers Danny and trusts him.

I like him, good turn and intelligent player, gets in good areas in which to recieve the ball and play it wide to further a move

Thecat23
23-02-2015, 10:54 PM
He's 3 years younger than allan, Danny has just turned 21 and Scott is 24 later in the year.

Scott it playing well under his level though so I feel comparing the two is unfair.

Him and Stanton play a similar role but Stubbs obviously much prefers Danny and trusts him.

I like him, good turn and intelligent player, gets in good areas in which to recieve the ball and play it wide to further a move

Fair dos, no idea why I thought there was only a year between them!!

I hope people can see that some fans are only giving an opinion on Danny and his performances and not having a dig at the lad. For me I'd have him no where near first team but out on loan. When everyone is fit he won't get into that first 11 that's for sure.

Honestly think he'll be on loan next season. Either way I just want to see him improve because he's not played well in most of his games.

--------
23-02-2015, 10:57 PM
For me he doesn't try keep out of trouble at all, by not getting booked doesn't mean he isn't trying

3 goals in 15 starts from midfield isn't that bad and if he had started as muh as allan Robertson etc he would probably be our top goal scorer from midfield

Allan only scoring 1 and Robertson 5

I was just thinking aloud, so to speak - it just seemed odd that there was the one red card in his first game and absolutely nothing since.

I don't have a problem with the guy - AS has obviously decided that he sees a player worth keeping and developing and that's absolutely fine by me. I just wish folks would get off his back and let him play.

Unseen work
23-02-2015, 10:58 PM

I hope people can see that some fans are only giving an opinion on Danny and his performances and not having a dig at the lad. For me I'd have him no where near first team but out on loan. When everyone is fit he won't get into that first 11 that's for sure.

Honestly think he'll be on loan next season. Either way I just want to see him improve because he's not played well in most of his games.

Nah of course, understandable for people to have different opinions on players.

Would like to see him dictate games more often though and kind of take it by the scruff of the neck, by getting on the ball and making something happen. Similar to what allan does.

Hopefully with Stubbs coaching and more confidence he can grow into an important player for us

Thecat23
23-02-2015, 10:59 PM
Nah of course, understandable for people to have different opinions on players.

Would like to see him dictate games more often though and kind of take it by the scruff of the neck, by getting on the ball and making something happen. Similar to what allan does.

Hopefully with Stubbs coaching and more confidence he can grow into an important player for us

Couldn't agree more [emoji106]

macd123
23-02-2015, 11:12 PM
What !!!

I think you and doddie have a few years on me so i bow to your superior knowledge. I have grown up with the likes of zibi and brian kerr so the recent group have a stamp of quality scapegoat about them. It's particularly pleasing that our best academy players have been developed to take up the role almost immediately. East mains is bearing fruit.

--------
24-02-2015, 01:16 AM
I think you and doddie have a few years on me so i bow to your superior knowledge. I have grown up with the likes of zibi and brian kerr so the recent group have a stamp of quality scapegoat about them. It's particularly pleasing that our best academy players have been developed to take up the role almost immediately. East mains is bearing fruit.

I think it's true to say that over the years I've watched Hibs the club has been the most prolific producer of scapegoats in Scottish - indeed British or even European football.

And though I say it who shouldn't, I myself have been in a small way instrumental in developing at least one Scottish international striker into a top-quality, long-term scapegoat for almost everything that went wrong at the club from 1974 until the present day.

:devil:

The Harp Awakes
24-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Danny is a talented footballer and has lots of scope for improvement.

What I would say though is that he needs to up his work rate on the football park. Very often you see him jogging around and the game passing him by. There was an occasion during the 2nd half v Dumbarton where he lost possession and didn't bother chasing back.

Brightside
24-02-2015, 09:43 AM

I have a problem when they have a dig when he puts in a good performance - like on Sat. Its not based on facts, its based on a deep routed opinion that he not very good therefore they highlight every negative of his game. The whole midfield play poor passes during a game but we dont get a thread slating Dylan for missing 3, or Allan for missing 3...
How about he was quick enough to get out of Malongas way? Weve got other posters complaining that he doesnt score enough, then we've got someone complaining he;s getting in the way of strikers?? He's a decent midfielder and fits into a Stubbs team very well indeed.

Brightside
24-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Danny is a talented footballer and has lots of scope for improvement.

What I would say though is that he needs to up his work rate on the football park. Very often you see him jogging around and the game passing him by. There was an occasion during the 2nd half v Dumbarton where he lost possession and didn't bother chasing back.

and there was another occasion where someone else lost the ball and he ran back 40yds to make a tackle before the guy got a shot off. many more positives than negatives about the player.

Thecat23
24-02-2015, 09:51 AM
I have a problem when they have a dig when he puts in a good performance - like on Sat. Its not based on facts, its based on a deep routed opinion that he not very good therefore they highlight every negative of his game. The whole midfield play poor passes during a game but we dont get a thread slating Dylan for missing 3, or Allan for missing 3...
How about he was quick enough to get out of Malongas way? Weve got other posters complaining that he doesnt score enough, then we've got someone complaining he;s getting in the way of strikers?? He's a decent midfielder and fits into a Stubbs team very well indeed.

That's fair enough, I know you rate him and I've no problem with that. Do I think he's good enough to make the first 11? No not a chance. A loan would maybe do Danny the world of good I don't know. All I do know is he's not good enough yet and he's not showing it weekly or he'd be in the squad! The players ahead of him are all better imo.

Brightside
24-02-2015, 09:58 AM
That's fair enough, I know you rate him and I've no problem with that. Do I think he's good enough to make the first 11? No not a chance. A loan would maybe do Danny the world of good I don't know. All I do know is he's not good enough yet and he's not showing it weekly or he'd be in the squad! The players ahead of him are all better imo.

I actually dont disagree that when we have a full squad he will struggle to get in the midfield. BUT for me we now have the best midifeld outside of Celtic in Scotland. He would always be in my squad. Dylan, Fyvie, Allan, Robertson are as good a four as we are ever likely to have with the current state of Scottish football. Its a great position for us to be in.

:thumbsup:

Though if Fyvie doesnt fix his eyebrows I''ll be starting a thread about him!

Thecat23
24-02-2015, 10:48 AM
I actually dont disagree that when we have a full squad he will struggle to get in the midfield. BUT for me we now have the best midifeld outside of Celtic in Scotland. He would always be in my squad. Dylan, Fyvie, Allan, Robertson are as good a four as we are ever likely to have with the current state of Scottish football. Its a great position for us to be in.

:thumbsup:

Though if Fyvie doesnt fix his eyebrows I''ll be starting a thread about him!

It is a great position to be in, something we haven't had in many years to be honest!

Now I'm going to be focusing all my attention on those eyebrows now 😄

--------
24-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Management is always about playing the best team you have at the time.

No one should be immune to the principle that if another player comes along who's a better player, they get the place in the team and you go onto the bench. That's what keeps players working in training and trying hard in the games.

No matter who he is or how good he thinks he is, no player is irreplaceable. Of course, this does mean that the manager should actually know what he's doing and be capable of dealing with the players effectively. Stubbs seems to be that sort of guy.

It also assumes that the club has a squad of players big enough and talented enough to allow the manager to ring the changes every now and again, and a board prepared to back the manager's judgement when he asks them to offer a player he wants to bring in a contract.

Perhaps Hibs are finally (after far too many false starts) approaching the point where these things are true.

happiehibbie
24-02-2015, 03:34 PM

you are way to sensible for this forum !

Mathias Jack
24-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't know if defensive mid was the position more of deep lying playmaker a position Allan has played a lot this year, dropping deep to collect the ball from defense and making things tick.

You're right there...yeah, was defo a deep lying playmaker

Granted it was a friendly, was the best game i've seen in him a Hibs jersey. I've seen him play up top, in midfield; think it's time his best postion was found...and we might actually see the best of him.

Feed McGraw
24-02-2015, 06:30 PM

I like him, good turn and intelligent player, gets in good areas in which to recieve the ball and play it wide to further a move The Cat said Danny was a year younger than Scott, then you said he is three years younger which isn`t really correct. Scott turned 23 on 28th November 2014, then Danny turned 21 ten weeks later - so really more like two years between them. Btw, I think you both stated good points but there was a wee bit of spin about the age gap. :wink::greengrin