PDA

View Full Version : Dean shiels

Unseen work
20-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Watching the Rangers game and he came on for the last 5 minutes or so.

Made me think if anyone would take him in our current team?

Last season I would of 100% said yes. But now with the current group of players we have that can play that position

Allan
Mcgeouch
Craig
Stanton
Handling

I'm not convinced he would get a look in or improve us much

Opinions?

Hiber-nation
20-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Just because he used to play for us? Nah.

eastterrace
20-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Watching the Rangers game and he came on for the last 5 minutes or so.

Made me think if anyone would take him in our current team?

Last season I would of 100% said yes. But now with the current group of players we have that can play that position

Allan
Mcgeouch
Craig
Stanton
Handling

I'm not convinced he would get a look in or improve us much

Opinions?
he had his chance to come back but signed for that mob so its a no from me

Mr White
20-02-2015, 08:48 PM
He had become a much more complete player by the time he left killie than he was with us but 3 years sitting on the bench and playing the odd 45 minutes in the lower leagues have ****ed his career. No done his bank balance any harm though :cb

Pete
20-02-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm genuinely finding it hard to remember what the new, improved Dean Shiels was like. It's been that long.

Northernhibee
20-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Nope. Sevco have utterly ruined that bunch of players.

The_Exile
20-02-2015, 09:04 PM
He wouldn't even make our bench.

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Agree with what's been said so far. Wouldn't want to say he's finished at only 30 but haven't seen him play properly for so long so can't say I'd be overly keen.

Michael
20-02-2015, 09:36 PM
He left us for a reason tbh...

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 10:19 PM
He left us for a reason tbh...

Aye, probably loads more money and regular football?

Good player, poor career choices.

oldbutdim
20-02-2015, 10:51 PM
A player who can't get a regular game for a piss poor Hun side?

He's done.

Might get a regular game for a lower league side to keep him fit. He's made his money.
He's also made his bed.
Let him lie in it.

And count his money obviously.

Baader
21-02-2015, 01:00 AM
Good player. Like him a lot despite his current employment.

Wouldn't have him back but why he isn't getting regular football in a crap side I don't know.

snooky
21-02-2015, 01:08 AM
Sorry, I didn't really rate him when he was ....emm... 'good'.
So it's a 'no thank you' from me.

J-C
21-02-2015, 07:07 AM
We're moving forward as a team, don't want to look backwards to old finished players anymore.

heretoday
21-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Go forward no back. I was never a great admirer of Shiels when he was at ER anyway. Nothing special.

Waxy
21-02-2015, 08:17 AM
No

frazeHFC
21-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Not a chance. At his best he was great for us. But right now Allan, McGeough etc are much better quality players.

Hibbyradge
21-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Aye, probably loads more money and regular football?

Good player, poor career choices.

In what way is moving for regular football and more money a poor career choice?

Hibbyradge
21-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Imagine him in the team with Deek and Gary O'Connor up front etc etc

Heisenberg
21-02-2015, 09:12 AM
I'd put Stanton and Handling ahead of him. Which basically places him at the bottom of the list in terms of getting a game in midfield.

emerald green
21-02-2015, 09:49 AM
He's nowhere near as good as the players currently at the club. Nothing to see here. Lets move on.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-02-2015, 10:01 AM
His choice would be not to play for up on decent wages or not play for the Huns on stupid wages, and that is not really a choice.

MSK
21-02-2015, 10:43 AM
In what way is moving for regular football and more money a poor career choice?50 appearances since 2012 isn't exactly regular football though is it ..? ...joining a team such as the rangers was a risk to the point he would have been used more in a rotational role as opposed to a regular starting berth at a club with fewer players ...

But ..a bit part player no doubt drawing a good wedge out of the already thinning ibrox coffers isn't a bad thing I suppose ..:agree:

Hibbyradge
21-02-2015, 10:53 AM
50 appearances since 2012 isn't exactly regular football though is it ..?

I guess not, but I was quoting.

For someone of Shiel's ability, a lucrative move to Ibrox was as good a career move as he could ever have hoped for.

In his time there, he probably earned as much as he otherwise would have for the rest of his life.

hfc rd
21-02-2015, 10:53 AM
No thank you. Would rather have Allan & McGeouch.

hibby6270
21-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Was an average player at best with us. A few highlights - yes, but doesn't hold a candle to what we have at the moment. Sold out big time going to The Rangers and he can stay there as far as I'm concerned.

MSK
21-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I guess not, but I was quoting.

For someone of Shiel's ability, a lucrative move to Ibrox was as good a career move as he could ever have hoped for.

In his time there, he probably earned as much as he otherwise would have for the rest of his life.Of course ..but also a higher risk ..in this instance I think £££ signs were more prevailing than the "prestige" of playing for a big club ..

Sadly though that is an indictment of the game at the time, so many good talented players have chased the ££££ & are now lost to the game..

portyhibernian
21-02-2015, 11:38 AM
I thought he was good for us, no danger I'd have him back at this point though, he's a shadow of what he once was as are pretty much all of The Rangers players.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 11:47 AM
He was a bit hit and miss with us 1st time around and the decision for him to go to Doncaster was probably right for both parties.

He improved a hell of a lot in his spell at Killie and I would have loved him back then. Alternatively I'd have liked to have seen him go for another crack at the Championship in England. As it is like many others he chose the money and worthless medals at Ibrox and has regressed as a player. I hope he and a few others regret tueir decisions in years to come but I suspect their bank balances now mean they won't.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2015, 11:59 AM
He peaked at Kilmarnock, those days have sadly gone for him. He's still remembered by me as part of one of the most exciting teams we have seen in years under Mowbray.:top marks Funnily enough my best memory of him was when he signed Rory from Carlisle's girlfriends boobs at the Blackburn friendly a few years ago. :greengrin