PDA

View Full Version : SPFL goal of the month

jodjam
20-02-2015, 12:42 PM
has been won by an 11 year old Celtic fan with Down's syndrome. He scored a penalty at HT v Hamilton.

For an association that makes many mistakes this is a nice wee touch.

The_Exile
20-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Nice touch from Samaras recording the announcement on YouTube, classy stuff all round :agree:

Big_Franck
20-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Nice touch, I seen that this morning.

The SPFL are normally a bunch of shambolic, clueless, spineless clowns but credit where it's due, this is great gesture.

Well done wee man :aok:

WestEndHibee
20-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Great story and really pleased to see Jay has won the award!

Typically this is what happens when more responsibility is given to those who are actually in touch with football. It's generally the young real football fans who run the social media side of things and their finger is a lot more on the pulse than the fatcats at the top.

Scottish football in all aspects should be looking at innovative ideas to create a product that offers something else rather than try to produce an uncompetitive imitation of other more successful leagues.

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2015, 06:31 PM
has been won by an 11 year old Celtic fan with Down's syndrome. He scored a penalty at HT v Hamilton.

For an association that makes many mistakes this is a nice wee touch.

What a fabulous gesture to the wee boy, after watching Neil Lennon hand him his SPL medal on the final day and seeing Samaras carrying him during the celebrations at the end of last season it fair makes you realise how genuine some people are no matter who they are. :top marks

Carheenlea
20-02-2015, 06:44 PM
You would need to have a heart of stone to argue against Jay Beattie`s award for goal of the month.

Conj
20-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I must have a heart of stone then cos I think it is a farce and makes a bit of a mockery of the awards. I'm all for giving him some sort of extra award but it's a joke that he's won the official goal of the month. Plenty of other kids have scored goals in half time 'entertainment' over the years so what makes this one so special?

Gmack7
20-02-2015, 06:56 PM
I must have a heart of stone then cos I think it is a farce and makes a bit of a mockery of the awards. I'm all for giving him some sort of extra award but it's a joke that he's won the official goal of the month. Plenty of other kids have scored goals in half time 'entertainment' over the years so what makes this one so special?
Can we not just be happy for the wee lad and also agree it's a touching gesture, he's not been awarded the ballon dor FFS

scuttle
20-02-2015, 07:01 PM

Cant agree with you mate , this does not happen regularly and is a one off. Football fans in general get a bad press and this type of thing restores my faith in my fellow supporter. Well done to all who voted for him and give the laddie a break

iwasthere1972
20-02-2015, 07:11 PM

:agree: I tend to agree with you and I haven't got a heart of stone. I admit it would have been a great gesture to have awarded the wee man with something but not SPFL goal of the month which it clearly wasn't.

bigwheel
20-02-2015, 07:13 PM

lighten up...it was a caring gesture...awards are subjective - this was heartfelt....brilliant action

Thecat23
20-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Every player nominated will no doubt score again or even win the goal of the month. This lad won't! It's a one off and something to lighten up what's been a torrid time for scottish football.

Well done all involved and I reckon some folk need to not take life of football so seriously in future. After all, it's only a game!!!

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2015, 07:46 PM

I don't think that any footballer who was eligible for the award will be thinking that this decision has made a mockery of it at all, in fact I will be willing to bet that many of them have been moved by this gesture as I have.

It's irrelevant about how many other kids have scored over the years, the fact that this wee boy has been made to feel so special is the positive result to take from this. Absolutely no need to put any negative slant on this at all, as a one off gesture I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea that should be applauded by all, not referred to as a mockery.

bob12345
20-02-2015, 09:50 PM
The whole beauty of it is the fact it's a genuine award, rather than something made.up. Well done the SPFL.

Andy74
20-02-2015, 10:01 PM
The whole beauty of it is the fact it's a genuine award, rather than something made.up. Well done the SPFL.

That's the point though. It's not really genuine is it? Nice touch and all but an interesting way to go about it through something that is an official award.

Bronson
20-02-2015, 10:08 PM

Completely agree. It sounds heartless but so many kids with special needs haven't been given that kind of treatment.

Obviously the gesture is well meant, but I totally agree that it makes a mockery of the award, that it's so meaningless they can give it away in situations like this.

Aldo
20-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Absolutely outstanding gesture IMHO.

Chuffed for the lad.

FWIW Samaras and the Greek National Team arranged for Jay and his family to attend the World Cup last year to watch them play.

I think Samaras and Lennon deserve a lot of credit they have done for this wee lad.

Mr White
20-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Absolutely outstanding gesture IMHO.

Chuffed for the lad.

FWIW Samaras and the Greek National Team arranged for Jay and his family to attend the World Cup last year to watch them play.

I think Samaras and Lennon deserve a lot of credit they have done for this wee lad.

:agree: I think a whole lot more of lennon and samaras for the way they've treated jay. He seems like a really cool wee guy too.

Conj
20-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Completely agree that Lennon and Samaras deserve credit for what they have done but I just don't think it is right to give the kid this award. I accept that it's unpopular to say so but that's my opinion.

Mr White
20-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Completely agree that Lennon and Samaras deserve credit for what they have done but I just don't think it is right to give the kid this award. I accept that it's unpopular to say so but that's my opinion.

I don't really care either way about the award but if it makes that wee lad smile I'd rather he get it than some overpaid spfl footballer.

FranckSuzy
20-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't really care either way about the award but if it makes that wee lad smile I'd rather he get it than some overpaid spfl footballer.

:agree: :aok:

Billy Whizz
20-02-2015, 10:38 PM

Great post

Pretty Boy
20-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Let's be honest a goal of the month award probably doesn't mean a whole lot to most footballers. No one is going to be that gutted about missing out. However it will mean the world to a lad like Jay.

It's little things like this that make me love football at times and long may they continue.

Stax
21-02-2015, 12:27 AM
What makes it special? You're kidding eh?

Scouse Hibee
21-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Completely agree. It sounds heartless but so many kids with special needs haven't been given that kind of treatment.

Obviously the gesture is well meant, but I totally agree that it makes a mockery of the award, that it's so meaningless they can give it away in situations like this.

Yet one has and he is delighted so why make a negative out of it?

Bronson
21-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Yet one has and he is delighted so why make a negative out of it?

I'm all for making the wee man's day, but giving him official awards is too much.

Pete
21-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Part of me wanted to pick holes in this once I read about it. Support your local team, too much of an award etc...

I can't help but feel anything but happiness for the wee boy after watching the clip.

However, It does make you wonder if the same fuss would have been made if the same thing had happened at the other end of the ground and the boy had an affinity with someone like Martin Canning. :hmmm:

weonlywon6-2
21-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Every player nominated will no doubt score again or even win the goal of the month. This lad won't! It's a one off and something to lighten up what's been a torrid time for scottish football.

Well done all involved and I reckon some folk need to not take life of football so seriously in future.
After all, it's only a game!!!

This sums it up for me😊

lucky
21-02-2015, 08:07 AM
FFS it's made a wee boy smile and lots of us feel good about Scottish football. It was a great gesture by the SPFL

Big_Franck
21-02-2015, 08:13 AM
I think I and a few others have misread this. The SPFL didn't choose Jay's goal as the goal of the month. It's voted for by fans and he received 97% of the votes. I'm guessing it was posted on the celtc forums.

The result was inevitable after the SPFL decided to include his goal in the competition, but the SPFL didn't actually choose his as goal of the month, the fans did.

To echo what someone above said, football in general and football fans in particular don't always get a good press, so something like this should be applauded IMO.

Sylar
21-02-2015, 08:20 AM
I think it should be applauded wholeheartedly!

What's the story behind this young lad? Why have Celtic been so involved with him over the years?

Agree with the above posts though - Lennon and Samaras should be applauded for some of the things they've done for him :agree:

macca70
21-02-2015, 08:58 AM

It was a public vote as it always is and Jay got 97% of the vote.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2015, 09:15 AM

The award has credibility? Thinking it means nothing to players really. It will mean a heck of a lot more to that laddie, his family and to all football fans who feel the game is disconnected to the people that matter most.

Andy74
21-02-2015, 09:27 AM
It was a public vote as it always is and Jay got 97% of the vote.

They had to list it though.

The lad has been taken to the world cup and all sorts. I'm sure there are lots of deserving kids and others out there. Starting to bring it into real awards is a nice thought but I think a step too far.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2015, 09:44 AM
They had to list it though.

The lad has been taken to the world cup and all sorts. I'm sure there are lots of deserving kids and others out there. Starting to bring it into real awards is a nice thought but I think a step too far.

I'm pretty deserving and pretty childlike, but It doesn't trouble me.

I'm the players will be consulting the players union about this as we speak, it's clearly an injustice.

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Nice for the wee laddie. What's his story though - why have Celtic singled him out above all their other disabled/ill fans?

TrinityHibs
21-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Deary me. There are a lot of attention seekers on here. I think everyone knows that it's not the best technical goal of the month. In fact it probably wasn't the best technical goal of that half time penalty shoot out. However is there a rule that says you can only vote based on certain parameters. If you thought there was a better goal vote for it. The wee fella did. Every month people vote for a goal that they liked the most. The most technical. The most flamboyant. The one for your team. The one that stops Hertz getting it. The one that you enjoyed the most. 97% of the fans who voted chose it for their own reasons. The wee fella won. Just get over it and enjoy it for what it is a good news story.........and breathe

Waxy
21-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I must have a heart of stone then cos I think it is a farce and makes a bit of a mockery of the awards. I'm all for giving him some sort of extra award but it's a joke that he's won the official goal of the month. Plenty of other kids have scored goals in half time 'entertainment' over the years so what makes this one so special?Perhaps behind the scenes there's been another goal of the month been handed out and its been hushed up? Dunno but this has been good to see.

emerald green
21-02-2015, 11:11 AM

What a truly miserable viewpoint.

NAE NOOKIE
21-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Oh c'mon !!!

Where the hell was the Hamilton defence? And as for the keeper, what the hell was he doing? he should have sprinted off his line to narrow the angle.

I didn't see the build up, but he looks miles offside as well !!! Typical Celtic, got the officials in their back pocket :grr:

Aldo
21-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Was watching it again on SSN HQ and both Samaras and Lennon have taken time and made the effort. There are always going to be kids that need/deserve things and are more needy however what they have done for this young lad is brilliant IMHO.

I really cannot fathom out why folk are getting so upset about a wee laddie getting a GOTW award. Really!

Bobby's Cinema
21-02-2015, 11:41 AM
What a truly miserable viewpoint.
:agree:

hfc rd
21-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Very nice gesture IMO.

macca70
21-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Nice for the wee laddie. What's his story though - why have Celtic singled him out above all their other disabled/ill fans?

He is from Lennons home town in N.Ireland and the young lad is the figure head for a Down Syndrome charity over there.

He's fanatical about Celtic, when celtic won the league, Lennon spotted him in the crowd so went over and gave him his medal. Samaras then brought him out the crowd and carried him round for the lap of honour.

There's a cracking YouTube video of the young lad standing in front of his telly cheering on Samaras for Greece during the Euro Champs, Samaras scores a penalty and the wee guy is over the moon. Samaras saw the video and sorted out a trip for him to go over for Greece's next euro champ game.

He seems to have now formed a close relationship with Lennon & Samaras.

I think it's superb, he's Fitba/Celtic daft and Lennon/Samaras desreve massive credit for giving the wee man so much happiness.

bigwheel
21-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm still a bit stunned that anyone can find anything negative in this ....

Scouse Hibee
21-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm still a bit stunned that anyone can find anything negative in this ....

Me too, you could find the most positive heartwarming story or gesture in the world and some folk can never accept it for what it is!!! Some folk just like to twist everything on its head, it baffles me.

Scouse Hibee
21-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Was watching it again on SSN HQ and both Samaras and Lennon have taken time and made the effort. There are always going to be kids that need/deserve things and are more needy however what they have done for this young lad is brilliant IMHO.

I really cannot fathom out why folk are getting so upset about a wee laddie getting a GOTW award. Really!

Agree 100% Aldo.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Surely nobody can watch this clip and be against this award?! Surely?! Let me off this planet if so.

For ONCE Scottish football has got it correct

http://youtu.be/2LPKk4q-gQI

Danderhall Hibs
21-02-2015, 01:03 PM
He is from Lennons home town in N.Ireland and the young lad is the figure head for a Down Syndrome charity over there.

He's fanatical about Celtic, when celtic won the league, Lennon spotted him in the crowd so went over and gave him his medal. Samaras then brought him out the crowd and carried him round for the lap of honour.

There's a cracking YouTube video of the young lad standing in front of his telly cheering on Samaras for Greece during the Euro Champs, Samaras scores a penalty and the wee guy is over the moon. Samaras saw the video and sorted out a trip for him to go over for Greece's next euro champ game.

He seems to have now formed a close relationship with Lennon & Samaras.

I think it's superb, he's Fitba/Celtic daft and Lennon/Samaras desreve massive credit for giving the wee man so much happiness.

Good for them. Footballs always associated with negative stories so good to hear this one.

emerald green
21-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Surely nobody can watch this clip and be against this award?! Surely?! Let me off this planet if so.

For ONCE Scottish football has got it correct

http://youtu.be/2LPKk4q-gQI

:agree:

Eyrie
21-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Easy enough to keep my head down on this but sod it.

The competition is for Goal of the Month, yet the goal itself was irrelevant to the voting. It was included as a gesture of support to the kid and a worthwhile cause so inevitably it got a lot of votes because this is a nice story. So I agree with those who think that it was the award was wrong.

Bronson
21-02-2015, 01:31 PM
The award has credibility? Thinking it means nothing to players really. It will mean a heck of a lot more to that laddie, his family and to all football fans who feel the game is disconnected to the people that matter most.

No denying it's a nice gesture, I just think it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole award.

On a side note, for all the stick he got at ER, Samaras has been a class act with that young lad. Credit where it's due, I take my hat off to him.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Its a great gesture but one i think is wrong, for the simple reason we will now have to have something similar for the huns.

The wee man deserves all the praise in the world for putting a smile on everyone's face, but we all know how things work in Scotland.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2015, 01:46 PM
No denying it's a nice gesture, I just think it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole award.

On a side note, for all the stick he got at ER, Samaras has been a class act with that young lad. Credit where it's due, I take my hat off to him.

Samaras does come out well from it, well done to him, the lazy, diving bassa.

In truth the awards are a mockery anyway.

Andy74
21-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Its a great gesture but one i think is wrong, for the simple reason we will now have to have something similar for the huns.

The wee man deserves all the praise in the world for putting a smile on everyone's face, but we all know how things work in Scotland.

I remain cynical overall. The lad is first of all from Ireland so strange one that the SPFL haven't done something similar for a local kid.

The young man has had quite a bit of support and coverage including a trip to Brazil for the world cup so again seems to be more about trying to get in on some of that as opposed to trying to something special for someone deserving.

I'm still not sure that an official award is the way to go about it either.

Right, pile in.

oconnors_strip
21-02-2015, 01:58 PM
The lad comes over to scotland for a lot of celtic games when he is well. Evens gets to travel on the team bus occasionally. He is a wee inspiration to people with illnesses and disabilities.

Hannah_hfc
21-02-2015, 02:29 PM
We don't know if the lads had a tough time of it in the past, if something like this can put a smile on his face and give him something to look back on for the rest of his life then how is that a bad thing?

I'm not saying others don't have a tough time of it or are less deserving, but as others have said, the wee lad is celtic daft and has obviously touched the heart of fans from other teams as well. Hope he remembers this moment and it makes him smile for years to come!

marinello59
21-02-2015, 02:30 PM
The lad comes over to scotland for a lot of celtic games when he is well. Evens gets to travel on the team bus occasionally. He is a wee inspiration to people with illnesses and disabilities.

Well said.
This is nothing but a good news story. We should just enjoy it.

lucky
21-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Spot on. There are some right miserable buggers posting on this thread.

oconnors_strip
21-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Spot on. There are some right miserable buggers posting on this thread.

Will try and find footage of him singing songs to the celtic players on the team bus and giving the team talk in the dressing room at one game. The celtic players and players of other teams love the lad and really inspire them

oconnors_strip
21-02-2015, 09:10 PM
http://youtu.be/LUInFTAp7uM

http://youtu.be/WtOGqsffW_E

:thumbsup: