PDA

View Full Version : For atmosphere.......

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 07:38 PM
.....which European city would you like to visit to watch Hibs? Give reason why?

I fancy one of the Turkish teams, they are always very passionate.

Baldy Foghorn
19-02-2015, 07:41 PM
.....which European city would you like to visit to watch Hibs? Give reason why?

Turkey would be mental.....Anyone who was in Athens would have thought it was tasty, the Greeks were a bit mad.....

I would like us to play in Germany/Spain/Italy

Gatecrasher
19-02-2015, 07:44 PM
I'd like us to play marseille.

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 07:48 PM
I'd like us to play marseille.

Why

Michael
19-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Anywhere...us beating hearts (last minute winner) in champions league final 2019.

I mean...that would indisputably be the best atmosphere...

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Buenos Aires.

The River Plate v Boca Juniors fixture is mental.

frazeHFC
19-02-2015, 07:53 PM
San Lorenzo outside Europe. Fenerbahce in Europe.

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Buenos Aires.

The River Plate v Boca Juniors fixture is mental.

Donkey!

European city!

Gatecrasher
19-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Why
Big club, iconic stadium and Frank Sauzee

monktonharp
19-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Buenos Aires.

The River Plate v Boca Juniors fixture is mental. good shout, but Besiktas fur me. love the guy that does the fans intro. f/in mental it is!

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Donkey!

European city!

It's as European as Turkey! :greengrin

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 08:33 PM
It's as European as Turkey! :greengrin

Let me think. Turkey play in the European Championships. Turkish teams play in the Europa League tonight. So they must be in Europe......most of it. Now Argentina, where is that again.

Ricky Bobby
19-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Dortmund

Ricky Bobby
19-02-2015, 08:41 PM
or Munich at beer festival time

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Let me think. Turkey play in the European Championships. Turkish teams play in the Europa League tonight. So they must be in Europe......most of it. Now Argentina, where is that again.

Geographically, Turkey's almost entirely in Asia, except for the extreme west of the country.

Biggie
19-02-2015, 08:59 PM
The San siro, or dortmunds yellow wall.....

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Geographically, Turkey's almost entirely in Asia, except for the extreme west of the country.

Yep, but Turkey is a member of the European Union and its football teams play in European competitions. How close is Argentina to Europe?

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Yep, but Turkey is a member of the European Union and its football teams play in European competitions. How close is Argentina to Europe?

Turkey's not in the EU.

mca
19-02-2015, 09:06 PM
The Auld East Stand.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Turkey's not in the EU.

Nope, you're right. Just testing. But they have been trying to get in for years. And what about Argentina?

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Nope, you're right. Just testing. But they have been trying to get in for years. And what about Argentina?

Well they speak Spanish in Argentina and Spain's in Europe! :greengrin

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 09:26 PM
Well they speak Spanish in Argentina and Spain's in Europe! :greengrin

:thumbsup:

fat freddy
19-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm currently reading a book about St. Pauli, the German club based in the bohemian district of Hamburg. The book is written by an English fan and details how he fell in love with the club and his experiences following them, Pirates, Punks and Politics by Nick Davidson if anyone's interested. Anyway, reading about this obscure wee outfit has prompted me to look into going over to see them, if only to see the team walking out of the tunnel to the intro of Hells Bells by AC/DC. A friendly with Hibs would make the trip even better, we've done pre seasons in Germany before, if I was the fans rep on the board I'd campaign to make this match happen with subsidised flights for the fan who came up with the idea

Nomeancity
19-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Turkey is both in Asia and Europe. And in fact so is the city of Istanbul, the river(I think ?) which runs through the city splits the continents.

Nomeancity
19-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Turkey is both in Asia and Europe. And in fact so is the city of Istanbul, the river(I think ?) which runs through the city splits the continents.

So you are both correct(sort of). Unless one of you is my wife, in which case it is you that is right dear.

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 09:54 PM
So you are both correct(sort of). Unless one of you is my wife, in which case it is you that is right dear.

More right than bloody Argentina.....

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Sampa for a match against Palmeiras (iirc formerly Palestra Italia) formed by Italian immigrants much like our club.

Nomeancity
19-02-2015, 09:58 PM

i did mean about turkey being both in and out of Europe. But yes take your point about Argentina, certainly not Europe ( unless of course it's you dear when yes your right Argentina was that place we drove over the border from when we were in Australia on our European tour)

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 10:05 PM

Yep, you're right. Istanbul is split between Europe and Asia and it's separated by the Sea of Marmara.

To be fair, I did mention in a previous post that a part of Turkey is in Europe but the overwhelming majority of the country lies in Asia.

Sir David Gray
19-02-2015, 10:08 PM

I was sort of joking about that, in case it wasn't obvious! I hadn't read the opening post properly, which asked for European cities that you would like Hibs to play in.

I personally wouldn't class Turkey as a European country either but I accept it's got more of a claim to be European as Argentina!

theonlywayisup
19-02-2015, 10:15 PM
I was sort of joking about that, in case it wasn't obvious! I hadn't read the opening post properly, which asked for European cities that you would like Hibs to play in.

I personally wouldn't class Turkey as a European country either but I accept it's got more of a claim to be European as Argentina!

:thumbsup: I know, just having a bit of fun! GGTTH

Scott Allan Key
19-02-2015, 10:54 PM

If there is a crusade reannexing Constantinople and filling up the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia with a bunch of happy clappers will you reconsider first part of your statement?

Having said that I'd like Hibs to play in Marrakech so we can sing, 'We've been to South Morocco...' with conviction. Although stricrly speaking we'd need to play in Ouzarzate next to Sahara to truly qualify.

GreenLake
20-02-2015, 12:11 AM

If you played against Fenerbahce, as well as visiting the European city of Istanbul, you would cross over by ferry into Asia and ride in a Dolmus to watch the game at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium. Visit two continents in one day.

Hermit Crab
20-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Vicente Calderón Stadium
Think it's a brilliant stadium and always noisy when Atletico are playing. Working class club of Madrid, the fans are superb.

Keith_M
20-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Israeli Clubs play in European competitions and that's about as European as Argentina.

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 11:42 AM
If there is a crusade reannexing Constantinople and filling up the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia with a bunch of happy clappers will you reconsider first part of your statement?

Having said that I'd like Hibs to play in Marrakech so we can sing, 'We've been to South Morocco...' with conviction. Although stricrly speaking we'd need to play in Ouzarzate next to Sahara to truly qualify.

I once did a tour of the film studios near Ouarzazate, where many films have been made. At one point, the guide mentioned Dougray Scott and, pointing at me, said "who is also Scottish....". My attempts to translate "and also a Hibby" fell flat....

Renfrew_Hibby
20-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Culture wise, Argies might be more Euro than the Turks. As they say over there, an Argentinan is an Italian who speaks Spannish and aspires to be English but has the attitude of a Frenchman!

P.S Would love to see us play over there... River, Boca, San Lorenzo, Racing or Independente... it wouldn't matter.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Culture wise, Argies might be more Euro than the Turks. As they say over there, an Argentinan is an Italian who speaks Spannish and aspires to be English but has the attitude of a Frenchman!

P.S Would love to see us play over there... River, Boca, San Lorenzo, Racing or Independente... it wouldn't matter.

We'd take Racing, and they're the current champions. :agree:

Andy74
20-02-2015, 01:11 PM
I think all things considered with all that was going on at the time the atmosphere in Athens is an experience that would be difficult to ever match.

TrinityHibs
20-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Israeli Clubs play in European competitions and that's about as European as Argentina.

:greengrin

Yup and Australia is in the Eurovision Song Contest and the final competition in the European golf tour is in Dubaii. Argentina sounds okay to me:greengrin

lyonhibs
20-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Game in Hamburg would be excellent. Great city, not far away, cheap beer, interesting place to walk around, some cracking ladies to distract one from the beer temporarily etc etc.

DH1875
20-02-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm currently reading a book about St. Pauli, the German club based in the bohemian district of Hamburg. The book is written by an English fan and details how he fell in love with the club and his experiences following them, Pirates, Punks and Politics by Nick Davidson if anyone's interested. Anyway, reading about this obscure wee outfit has prompted me to look into going over to see them, if only to see the team walking out of the tunnel to the intro of Hells Bells by AC/DC. A friendly with Hibs would make the trip even better, we've done pre seasons in Germany before, if I was the fans rep on the board I'd campaign to make this match happen with subsidised flights for the fan who came up with the idea

I'm pretty sure that St. Pauli and celtic have got some sort of tie in (well the fans anyway). I also think that their ultras wear patches like biker gangs do so they can't/don't hide their colours.

Vicente Calderón Stadium
Think it's a brilliant stadium and always noisy when Atletico are playing. Working class club of Madrid, the fans are superb.

Are you taking that from personal experience or from what you've seen on the telly?

Mixu62
21-02-2015, 04:32 AM
Bruges!! Beer beer beer beer!!!

Hermit Crab
21-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that St. Pauli and celtic have got some sort of tie in (well the fans anyway). I also think that their ultras wear patches like biker gangs do so they can't/don't hide their colours.

Are you taking that from personal experience or from what you've seen on the telly?

Just from what I've seen on the TV unfortunately.

Nomeancity
21-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Shamrock rovers ground next season, 1st qualifying round of the Europa league us having qualified as cup winners - great atmosphere.

Keith_M
21-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Sunderland.

Not far to travel, so we'd get a big suport, and the home Fans make a decent bit of noise as well.

Hermit Crab
21-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Shamrock rovers ground next season, 1st qualifying round of the Europa league us having qualified as cup winners - great atmosphere.

Ive been there with hibs before. Strange ground.