PDA

View Full Version : NHC Stan Collymore (fenian blood)

CB_NO3
19-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Stan Collymore is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact the guy has a horrible past and is a bit of an idiot but he has started this petition on twitter and his radio show. Its a petition to stop broadcasters and sponsors giving Rangers money until they stop singing the Billy Boys song aka "up to our knees in fenian blood".

It look like the SNPs new (anti-sectarian) law has not worked and the SPFL and SFA are hopeless so its worth signing it, if it gets it lots of media attention.

Here is the link https://www.change.org/p/all-good-people-boycott-sponsors?just_created_and_shared=true

CallumLaidlaw
19-02-2015, 03:12 PM
He's got a real bee in his bonnet about Rangers at the moment. Thing is, hes painting Celtic fans to be saints.

jgl07
19-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Stan Collymore is not everyone's cup of tea. In fact the guy has a horrible past and is a bit of an idiot but he has started this petition on twitter and his radio show. Its a petition to stop broadcasters and sponsors giving Rangers money until they stop singing the Billy Boys song aka "up to our knees in fenian blood".

It look like the SNPs new (anti-sectarian) law has not worked and the SPFL and SFA are hopeless so its worth signing it, if it gets it lots of media attention.

Here is the link https://www.change.org/p/all-good-people-boycott-sponsors?just_created_and_shared=true
Yes his past has been 'dogging' him for some years!

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes his past has been 'dogging' him for some years!

:tee hee: He's trying to forget the past, and the bigots will never let us forget it.

Viva_Palmeiras
19-02-2015, 03:52 PM

He has a radio show you say..... Hmmm.....

Being controversial should never never be confused with having a talent...

Jack
19-02-2015, 03:57 PM
How sad it is that no one from Scotland of any repute is willing to make a similar stand/statement.

Alex Thomson led the journalistic line and now Collymore, both English.

Anyone in Scotland got baws?

CB_NO3
19-02-2015, 03:58 PM
He's got a real bee in his bonnet about Rangers at the moment. Thing is, hes painting Celtic fans to be saints.

I don't think he is tbh. If you read the article you will see that he said, "the Celtic fans are no angels, especially the evidence I have regarding the racial abuse of Mark Walters in the 90s"

He also states he does not support Celtic or Rangers and is an Aston Villa fan, but prefers Celtic's values more. He is still a woman beater mind.

CB_NO3
19-02-2015, 04:01 PM
He has a radio show you say..... Hmmm.....

Being controversial should never never be confused with having a talent...
Apparently so. Never listened to it personally.

hibsbollah
19-02-2015, 04:05 PM
I like him. Talks a lot of sense usually.

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Been a bit of a nob in the past, but I do like him on talksport.

--------
19-02-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't think he is tbh. If you read the article you will see that he said, "the Celtic fans are no angels, especially the evidence I have regarding the racial abuse of Mark Walters in the 90s"

He also states he does not support Celtic or Rangers and is an Aston Villa fan, but prefers Celtic's values more. He is still a woman beater mind.

He's still doing this?

The_Todd
19-02-2015, 04:29 PM
In amongst all the fawning you hear from pundits when it comes to Rangers it's refreshing to hear one call Rangers out on their bigotry problem. Ok, he's got a dodgy past but he openly talks about his depression etc.

I wished he wasn't so easy on Celtic but 1 outta 2 ain't bad.

AndyM_1875
19-02-2015, 04:40 PM

That's exactly it and he's got the usual Sellik-minded fruitcakes and cranks jumping up and down like halfwits on this.

How I wish we could be free of both Rangers and Celtic. They and their twisted fans are an absolute blight on football in this country.

superfurryhibby
19-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Deja Vu, we dud this one a few weeks ago. FWIW, I find it hard to accept that Stan has any real insight into the causes and perpetration of the sectarian issue. It seems like a bit of courting publicity on his part. However, I do think the Scottish media and footballing authorities lack the bawz to really expose the Hun for what they are.

Working in the Weedge recently and had the misfortune to have to walk past a well known Rangers pub. The specimens loitering outside the door were rather, ahem. primitive looking, to say the least

Carheenlea
19-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Why are Hearts not included in his campaign?

heretoday
19-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Collymore will say anything frankly. He's a motormouth and a bit off his rocker I reckon.

Spike Mandela
19-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if a high profile Rangers fan or respected 'Rangers man' came out and said some of these things instead of leaving it to 'outsiders' who always ended up pilloried or traduced and effectively 'chased out of town'.

The casual acceptance and ignoring of all the sectarian **** is frustrating and an embarrassment to this country and the game we all love.

Smartie
19-02-2015, 05:31 PM
He goes off on some tangents (he's misguided in not seeing that Celtic are just about as guilty as Rangers in this hideous rivalry) but generally speaking he makes a lot of good points, I often agree with him and think he's good value. At least he has opinions, stimulates interesting discussion and he isn't dull.

It's tragic that it seems to take people from elsewhere i.e. England to point out that the bigotry and corruption simply accepted as part of our game really isn't acceptable in the modern world. I applaud Collymore and Thomson for speaking out. And in this day of social media etc they will still get some pretty heinous abuse for it via the likes of twitter.

Are those of us who "broadly agree with him" guilty by association in the way that we don't speak out louder? I know it appears futile but maybe we should/ could do more?

Smartie
19-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if a high profile Rangers fan or respected 'Rangers man' came out and said some of these things instead of leaving it to 'outsiders' who always ended up pilloried or traduced and effectively 'chased out of town'.

The casual acceptance and ignoring of all the sectarian **** is frustrating and an embarrassment to this country and the game we all love.

:agree:

JimBHibees
19-02-2015, 05:36 PM

Absolutely spot on there a total embarrassment.

superfurryhibby
19-02-2015, 06:01 PM

So true Spike. I often wonder now if it's mainly the football that keeps it going in Scotland?

Whilst Celtic have some reprehensible aspects to their support, the history of the two clubs tells me that Rangers were much more active in their sectarianism and for that I detest them more than any other team.

Pete
19-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Forget the messenger, it's the message that's important. The truth will hurt too much for some as he's actually pointing out a deep-rooted flaw in Scottish society. No one in Scotland would dare tell it like it is in this fashion.

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-02-2015, 07:02 PM
The more pressure on the buffoons that run our game the better

Bronson
19-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Stan Collymore is a tosser of the highest order. Got to laugh at him greeting over some tweets sent his way when he used to slap Ulrika Jonsson about like there was no tomorrow.

I hate Rangers but I find it difficult to support a man like him in any way.

Tinribs
19-02-2015, 08:20 PM

I don't want to 'big-up' Terry Butcher, but he did speak up against all the sectarian stuff in his biography, said he was getting sucked into it all and knew he had to step away. The hun bigots have not really gotten over that yet, one of their own saying it i mean.

Famous Fiver
19-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Just signed his petition.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Great effort Stan.

Judas Iscariot
19-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Stan Collymore is a tosser of the highest order. Got to laugh at him greeting over some tweets sent his way when he used to slap Ulrika Jonsson about like there was no tomorrow.

Ulrika Jonsson is a bint though

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2015, 09:11 PM
https://www.facebook.com/139287246269047/photos/a.153103394887432.1073741828.139287246269047/342946155903154/?type=1&theater

CB_NO3
19-02-2015, 09:16 PM

No one is asking you to support anyone.

Bishop Hibee
19-02-2015, 09:17 PM
So true Spike. I often wonder now if it's mainly the football that keeps it going in Scotland?

Whilst Celtic have some reprehensible aspects to their support, the history of the two clubs tells me that Rangers were much more active in their sectarianism and for that I detest them more than any other team.

Agree. Naming a stand after Bill Streuth who perpetuated their sectarian signing policy says it all.

CropleyWasGod
19-02-2015, 09:17 PM

.... which justifies his behaviour towards her?

Iggy Pope
19-02-2015, 09:19 PM
https://www.facebook.com/139287246269047/photos/a.153103394887432.1073741828.139287246269047/342946155903154/?type=1&theater

Hope old Katie knows what she's doing there. Could be a queue forming and not all of them 'blokes'.

PS. Wonder if Stan might take this good fight to Chelsea now as well. Being a man of colour, suggesting a boycott of Chelsea would be a splendid start for him.

Stax
19-02-2015, 09:34 PM
No doubt the papers tomorrow will have a field day. All the usual suspects will be dragged out and spout the 'small minority' myth. Love him or loath him Collymore's media presence is high and the more the sectarian crap and nonsense gets highlighted the better IMO.

CB_NO3
19-02-2015, 10:02 PM
No doubt the papers tomorrow will have a field day. All the usual suspects will be dragged out and spout the 'small minority' myth. Love him or loath him Collymore's media presence is high and the more the sectarian crap and nonsense gets highlighted the better IMO.
According to Twitter he has been removed from a BT sports show tomorrow. Looks like the bigots have won the short term battle.

Canongatehibs
19-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Well said Mr Collymore.

Stax
19-02-2015, 10:52 PM
According to Twitter he has been removed from a BT sports show tomorrow. Looks like the bigots have won the short term battle.
He's getting absolute pelters on Twitter , A counter petition for him to be sacked been signed by a rake of them ( over 3,000 the last I looked ). The vitriol directed at anyone who states the bleeding obvious is unbelievable.

poolman
19-02-2015, 10:53 PM

I agree

But she still does`nt deserve a slapping from thon numpty

NadeAteMyLunch!
19-02-2015, 10:58 PM
They reeeeeeeeeaaly don't care much for the truth do they? Happy to sing their songs but just don't dare mention that they might be sectarian. Happy to cheat for decades, however don't dare claim they are a new club.

LancashireHibby
19-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Can't say I'm a fan of Collymore's but anyone who speaks out against either of the Old Firm on topics like this has my full backing. The crowd trouble at Greyskull for our game and the abandoned Hearts game really can't have escaped people's attentions, yet the media continue to ignore it for fear of lost sales. As if any of the Bigot Brothers are capable of reading in the first place.

Alex Trager
19-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Thing is with him
He is annoying me a lot.
I respect one hundred percent his values when it comes to rangers.

However, as many have said, he is completely ignoring the vile that celtic spout also.

Singing a church hymn at Tynie for example.

He is saying he doesn't condone their acts of sectarianism yet has to hark back to the ninties to find one apparently.

That is a none sense. They are at it every week.

We've all heard them
Singing their chants about the IRA etc.

So in that respect. The man is an utter tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
20-02-2015, 01:14 AM
well said stan collymore :agree:

Haymaker
20-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Well said Stan. After the New Rangers, the filth and Celtc must follow.

At least he is putting his neck out. The ****ing SFA hide theirs in the sand.

Slicer
20-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Good on him!

He's pointing out the fact that sevco fans sing BANNED sectarian songs, while, journalists, club representatives, and the authorities let it carry on. Hopefully this snowballs and creates more and more coverage.

He's not got a woman in a headlock whilst he's tweeting, so I don't see why his past has any bearing on his comments, or how they make his comments less significant.

Also, Celtc fans have nothing to do with his comments. He's tweeting about sevco fans. Likewise, he's not tweeting about Chelsea, hertz, Lazio, the Russian teams... etc. etc. That's the old firm mentality... criticize one of them, they ignore it and say the other one is worse.
Just because he's not mentioning celtc shouldn't disguise what the sevco animals are singing.

If someone in the public eye slammed celtc for their misdemeanors... THAT should be highlighted, not the fact that they haven't also mentioned the billy boys song.

I can sort of understand why they pulled him from today's show, it would have turned into a tit-for-tat circus with little or no football chat. If he loses his job over it, it's a sad state of affairs that condones the behavior and contributes nothing to solving the problem.

Allant1981
20-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Good to see someone highlighting issues but he really does seem to have an axe to grind with rangers fans, hearts are just as bad up here as are celtic, seems a bit strange its only rangers

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Thing is with him
He is annoying me a lot.

However, as many have said, he is completely ignoring the vile that celtic spout also.

He is saying he doesn't condone their acts of sectarianism yet has to hark back to the ninties to find one apparently.

We've all heard them

There is a difference between singing pro-IRA songs and religious bigotry. Whilst I could never support armed resistance in the north of Ireland, there is a distinction. I've never met an anti- Protestant Celtic supporter and rarely met anyone who can string a sentence together that supports the IRA.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 08:28 AM
There is a difference between singing pro-IRA songs and religious bigotry. Whilst I could never support armed resistance in the north of Ireland, there is a distinction. I've never met an anti- Protestant Celtic supporter and rarely met anyone who can string a sentence together that supports the IRA.

And yet they sing these songs on a weekly basis?

I would probably argue the vile that comes from the huns is worse but they are just as bad week after week.
And as I said they were singing a church hymn at tynecatle.

Surely that's just as bad?

No place for religion in a football ground.

They are inciting bad behaviour with their songs

lord bunberry
20-02-2015, 08:36 AM

I would probably argue the vile that comes from the huns is worse but they are just as bad week after week.

The songs Rangers sing are much worse than the songs Celtic sing imo. I'm not saying the songs Celtic sing are acceptable but they're not generally about killing Protestants

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 08:40 AM
The songs Rangers sing are much worse than the songs Celtic sing imo. I'm not saying the songs Celtic sing are acceptable but they're not generally about killing Protestants

But they can be just as bad at times.

Both should be an example of imo.

I really despise the Huns like you guys

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 08:41 AM
So here we have thousands and thousands of people singing about religious hatred, unchallenged by our national media, and the lone person who makes a stand against this is disciplined for it. Is this what the media is like in North Korea?

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 08:44 AM

And as I said they were singing a church hymn at tynecatle.

Surely that's just as bad?

No place for religion in a football ground.

They are inciting bad behaviour with their songs

They were singing the hymn that was used at Tommy Burns' funeral. If that's worthy of criticism for inciting bad behavior then I suppose black people should be criticised for inciting hatred by walking around with their darker skin on.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 08:45 AM
They were singing the hymn that was used at Tommy Burns' funeral. If that's worthy of criticism for inciting bad behavior then I suppose black people should be criticised for inciting hatred by walking around with their darker skin on.

A church hymn at a football match is not appropriate.

Why not sing a song about Tommy burns?

Ridiculous thing to say

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Why not sing a song about Tommy burns?

Ridiculous thing to say

If a hymn sang in tribute to a dead club legend upsets anyone then I don't think they should be leaving the house, never mind going to football matches.

Guessing we should drop 'We are Hibernian FC' as well? Wouldn't want to incite any hatred by using the tune of a hymn.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 08:54 AM
If a hymn sang in tribute to a dead club legend upsets anyone then I don't think they should be leaving the house, never mind going to football matches.

Guessing we should drop 'We are Hibernian FC' as well? Wouldn't want to incite any hatred by using the tune of a hymn.

Again. Another Nonesense point.

Dropping any religion related songs at football is a must.

You can celebrate Tommy burns' life in many other ways imo.

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Again. Another Nonesense point.

Dropping any religion related songs at football is a must.

You can celebrate Tommy burns' life in many other ways imo.

It's a completely inoffensive song, there is absolutely no reason anybody should be upset by fans singing an inoffensive song in memory of a club legend. How you can say it is 'vile' is absolutely baffling. I cannot understand why you'd want to stop people expressing themselves in a completely inoffensive way because it makes some intolerant people angry.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:11 AM
It's a completely inoffensive song, there is absolutely no reason anybody should be upset by fans singing an inoffensive song in memory of a club legend. How you can say it is 'vile' is absolutely baffling. I cannot understand why you'd want to stop people expressing themselves in a completely inoffensive way because it makes some intolerant people angry.

I never said it was vile?

I said some of the stuff they sing is vile.
Like the Rangers fans.

I said there is no place at a football match for hymns of the Church.

If it was some team singing a song that is sung in a mosque the world would have a different opinion on it.

IWasThere2016
20-02-2015, 09:14 AM
I like him. Talks a lot of sense usually.

This.

Kato
20-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Who says?

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Who says?

Me :)

Religion has no place in football. That's my opinion.
And I'll stick to it.

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 09:24 AM

Walk with me, oh my Lord,
Through the darkest night and brightest day.
Be at my side, oh Lord,
Hold my hand and guide me on my way.

Vile.

lord bunberry
20-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Me :)

Religion has no place in football. That's my opinion.
And I'll stick to it.

I agree that religion has no place at football, but if people want to sing it then they're free to do so. It's when we get religious bigotry that the line is crossed. signing hymns or songs like the fields of athenry maybe done to incite opposition fans but they're nothing to do with religious bigotry

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Be at my side, oh Lord,

Vile.

I concede that I said it was vile.

I wouldn't say it was vile.

It is completely inappropriate however.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I agree that religion has no place at football, but if people want to sing it then they're free to do so. It's when we get religious bigotry that the line is crossed. signing hymns or songs like the fields of athenry maybe done to incite opposition fans but they're nothing to do with religious bigotry

Again, I agree.

I feel as though it should not be sung at a football match though.

It's involving religion in football.

lord bunberry
20-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Again, I agree.

I think it was more your insistence earlier in the thread that Celtic fans singing hymns at football made them as bad as Rangers fans that I disagree with.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I think it was more your insistence earlier in the thread that Celtic fans singing hymns at football made them as bad as Rangers fans that I disagree with.

I think if you want to rid football of religion and this sectarianism, you have to get rid of
It in football alltogether.

You can't say cause celtic are singing a church hymn that doesn't offend people like the mention of a Fenian does, that it is less important to stomp out.

Therefore I would stand by my point.

They are just as bad as each other.

More over the point I would emphasise most is the IRA songs being sung by celtic should be stomped out of football.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Again, I agree.

... as is Abide With Me, which is sung at every FA Cup Final.

Not disagreeing with your point, but it is, and always will be, a very tricky issue.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:41 AM
... as is Abide With Me, which is sung at every FA Cup Final.

Not disagreeing with your point, but it is, and always will be, a very tricky issue.

It will be when you bend the rules.

I don't know what the sectarianism issue is like I'm England mind you

lord bunberry
20-02-2015, 09:45 AM
I think if you want to rid football of religion and this sectarianism, you have to get rid of
It in football alltogether.

You can't say cause celtic are singing a church hymn that doesn't offend people like the mention of a Fenian does, that it is less important to stomp out.

Therefore I would stand by my point.

They are just as bad as each other.

More over the point I would emphasise most is the IRA songs being sung by celtic should be stomped out of football.

I think one of the problems we have in regards to the old firm is that we have this constant tit for tat argument used to justify each other's actions. Rangers fans constantly point to the songs Celtic sing as justification for singing about killing Catholics. Imo Celtic fans songs aren't anywhere near as bad as Rangers songs and Collymore is right to point this out.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 09:48 AM
I think one of the problems we have in regards to the old firm is that we have this constant tit for tat argument used to justify each other's actions. Rangers fans constantly point to the songs Celtic sing as justification for singing about killing Catholics. Imo Celtic fans songs aren't anywhere near as bad as Rangers songs and Collymore is right to point this out.

I agree with this.

However in relation to 'how bad' they are.
They are both as bad as each other. They both keep breaking the rules/laws.

They both bring religion into football

And singing Ira songs is just 'as bad' as the Rangers fans.

Basically my point is.
Collymore, has made a good start. But he has to realise that they BOTH need to be stopped.

Kato
20-02-2015, 10:32 AM
religion and this sectarianism

Religion isn't the same as sectarianism.

It's weird that many people, not necessarily you AT, that went about free speech post-Charlie Hebdo want to stop just that.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Religion isn't the same as sectarianism.

It's weird that many people, not necessarily you AT, that went about free speech post-Charlie Hebdo want to stop just that.

I agree.

I would argue:
Politics, religion, economics... Whatever, should not be brought into a football ground.

Religion breeds sectarianism unfortunately in this country

Frazerbob
20-02-2015, 11:31 AM

green&left
20-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Thing is with him
He is annoying me a lot.

We've all heard them

You seem to be confusing political songs and anti-religious songs, like 99% of football fans and the media.

Can mind the hysteria when Hartson and Pearson were 'caught' singing the Fields of Athenry at a POTY dance once, the media calling it a sectarian song :faf:

Kinda agree with your point about politics not being brought into a fitba however that has to start with the clubs first IMO. You can't have clubs saying leave politics at the turnstiles then having minutes silences for the likes of Mandela etc one week then having british troops marching up and down football fields the next.

Non-strictly a Scottish problem too. You'll here political songs on the Italian and German terraces, some of Poles and Croats fly Vatican City flags etc.

Keith_M
20-02-2015, 11:48 AM

I have.

I lived in The Weeg for about 3 years and used to encounter them singing sectarian, anti-protestant (and anti-Scottish) songs on the Train when I was going to/from Hibs games.

silverhibee
20-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Be at my side, oh Lord,

Vile.

And how many of them that sung that prayer/song attend Chapel every Sunday, probably none.

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 11:56 AM
You seem to be confusing political songs and anti-religious songs, like 99% of football fans and the media.

Can mind the hysteria when Hartson and Pearson were 'caught' singing the Fields of Athenry at a POTY dance once, the media calling it a sectarian song :faf:

Kinda agree with your point about politics not being brought into a fitba however that has to start with the clubs first IMO. You can't have clubs saying leave politics at the turnstiles then having minutes silences for the likes of Mandela etc one week then having british troops marching up and down football fields the next.

Non-strictly a Scottish problem too. You'll here political songs on the Italian and German terraces, some of Poles and Croats fly Vatican City flags etc.

What an expertly put point.

I agree with you totally.

I think it should all be left outside of the turnstiles.

It never will be, and thus sectarianism, racism, whateverism will continue to go on.

It will take many generations to get rid of these opinions.

Hopefully they aren't too easily spewed up by people of my age and younger nowadays.
We were discussing Selma on the PM board and how racism was a problem that still remains for the black population of the South.

It will continue for many a year, it just needs slowly weeded out.
Which I think, or hope rather, it will.

But then we'll find another group to target our racism toward

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 11:57 AM
And how many of them that sung that prayer/song attend Chapel every Sunday, probably none.

Regardless of whether they do or not, impossible to tell.

It shouldn't be at a football match.

Like billy boys shouldn't be at a football match.

L

Elephant Stone
20-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Why is that important? :hilarious

The poster said it's a vile song and as bad as what Rangers sing. It's not, in anyone's wildest dreams, either of those things.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 12:04 PM
I have.

I lived in The Weeg for about 3 years and used to encounter them singing sectarian, anti-protestant (and anti-Scottish) songs on the Train when I was going to/from Hibs games.

Give me an example if the songs? Never heard any such songs in my puff

Keith_M
20-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Give me an example if the songs? Never heard any such songs in my puff

You know, I didn't actually write any of them down so I could prove it later.

However, I do remember them prefixing The soldier's Song with the following...

"North Men, South Men,
come on all.
Soon there'll be no Protestants at all."

Another ditty that they sung (no idea what it's called) had the phrase Scottish Ba*st*rds in it.

Sorry to dissapoint you but I didn't imagine it.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 12:24 PM

"North Men, South Men,
come on all.

Another ditty that they sung (no idea what it's called) had the phrase Scottish Ba*st*rds in it.

Fair enough. I think that anti catholicism is a much wider social issue in the Weedge and it's hinterlands. I'm not aware if anti Scottish or pritestant issues, given that they are Scottish and have many protestant fans, it seems a bit odd.

Not sure why you think I'm disappointed though, baffled

Lucius Apuleius
20-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Fair enough. I think that anti catholicism is a much wider social issue in the Weedge and it's hinterlands. I'm not aware if anti Scottish or pritestant issues, given that they are Scottish and have many protestant fans, it seems a bit odd.

Hibs have many Protestant fans, never stopped us singing "sectarian songs" in the 70s.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Hibs have many Protestant fans, never stopped us singing "sectarian songs" in the 70s.

Sure, me included. Fortunately, that stopped, although it was more like the end ofvthe 80's

Does that make a difference and what does it say? Rangers; I'll bet, have very few Catholic fans.

Lucius Apuleius
20-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Sure, me included. Fortunately, that stopped, although it was more like the end ofvthe 80's

Does that make a difference and what does it say? Rangers; I'll bet, have very few Catholic fans.

Probably although I do know some.

I don't know if it makes a difference, we were guilty of it even if we no longer are. Does that now make us innocent?

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 12:45 PM

Probably although I do know some.

I don't know if it makes a difference, we were guilty of it even if we no longer are. Does that now make us innocent?

I think I feel innocent since I haven't sung a sectarian song at ER for more than 25 years.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 12:46 PM

Probably more of an issue because there are more Protestants than Catholics, no?

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Probably more of an issue because there are more Protestants than Catholics, no?

Usually, but not always, discrimination is aimed at minority groups, excepting sexism and apartheid.

Diclonius
20-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Nothing like a good old "Celtic aren't sectarian because Rangers are worse" argument.

greenginger
20-02-2015, 01:15 PM

"North Men, South Men,
come on all.

Could it be this one

" We'll no be mastered,
By no Orange Ba*st*rds "

Maybe changed to Scottish for effect. Heard it sung in Baird's bar in Glasgow's East End a couple of years ago.

There was'nt even a match on that day ! :greengrin

Mikeystewart
20-02-2015, 01:18 PM
In the song "Sunshine on Leith" who is "The Chief" putting sunshine on Leith?

All we know is that he is a guy...

I would never call myself a religious sympathizer by any stretch of the imagination. Religion will always have ties to football as long as it has ties to society. Like anything else music, art, culture.

Mikeystewart
20-02-2015, 01:20 PM
In the song "Sunshine on Leith" who is "The Chief" putting sunshine on Leith?

All we know is that he is a guy...

I would never call myself a religious sympathizer by any stretch of the imagination. Religion will always have ties to football as long as it has ties to society. Like anything else music, art, culture.

Edit: that doesn't mean we have to put up with the hatred that is created from it. Would the authorities be as nervous if it was Mac vs Microsoft?

Slicer
20-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Following on from my earlier post....

Stan Collymore's tweet was about sevco fans singing the billy boys....

Alex Trager
20-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Nothing like a good old "Celtic aren't sectarian because Rangers are worse" argument.

This is what it seems like mate

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Usually, but not always, discrimination is aimed at minority groups, excepting sexism and apartheid.

My point was about numbers.

If, for argument's sake, there are 1m Protestants in the West, and 500k Catholics, and 10% of each are bigots..... that stll means that there are twice as many Protestant bigots as Catholic bigots.

El Gubbz
20-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Don't think Alex Trager could be any more on the money. If you want to sing hyms then there's plenty other welcoming venues in Leith.

Celtic love to bring religion into everything.

Rangers love to hate Celtic and their religion.

Why are we bothered?

Mind the poppy banner at Celtic park? They're called the ugly sisters for a reason

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Don't think Alex Trager could be any more on the money. If you want to sing hyms then there's plenty other welcoming venues in Leith.

Why are we bothered?

Mind the poppy banner at Celtic park? They're called the ugly sisters for a reason

I know this won't be a popular view, but haven't Celtic got a right to acknowledge their religious roots? We have too, of course, but we have chosen not to, to the same degree; that is our right, as is Celtic's.

The problem, of course, is that those roots are then used as a stick to beat up the "real bigots".

AndyM_1875
20-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Could it be this one

" We'll no be mastered,
By no Orange Ba*st*rds "

Maybe changed to Scottish for effect. Heard it sung in Baird's bar in Glasgow's East End a couple of years ago.

There was'nt even a match on that day ! :greengrin

Bairds Bar?
Hope you had a right good shower afterwards! :greengrin

Andy74
20-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Why are we bothered?

Unless it has an effect on anyone else I don't care what fans of clubs decide that they want to sign about.

Religion isn't my thing but why not if as a group of fans that appeals to them.

The real danger isn't those who want to do that, it's those who start to link the issues such as religion and bigotry or Ireland and the IRA. That says more about the ignorance and the intolerance of those making the link. Obviously those songs that are directly offensive should not be tolerated.

There's probaly a time and a place for Proclaimers songs isn't there? Plenty of opportunities for people to enjoy their albums in their own home or go to their concerts.

Anyway, what 'religious' things do Celtic usually get up to?

Baader
20-02-2015, 01:54 PM
As clubs you cannot accuse Celtic of actively pursuing any sectarian policy. Rangers on the other adopted a particular policy (much as the club tried to deny it) and refused to sign players of a particular persuasion for almost a century while the authorities here stood by...

Behaviour of fans another matter but it's to do with ignorance - let's not pretend these guys are churchgoers or students of theology! And for better or worse, religion isn't suddenly going away in 21st century Scotland.

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Maybe its just me, but i think singing about the IRA is wrong, i also think singing about hating catholics is wrong and both have no place at a football match.

In fact i dont think there is anywhere they have a place in todays society. If its fine to sing these songs of hatred, then surely racism is fine too?

Slicer
20-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Again... Stan Collymore's tweet was regarding sevco fans singing the billy boys. Why isn't this the real issue here? What has celtc or the IRA got to do with his tweet?

Our society should focus on the fact that a high profile media representative is speaking out about it. Not that he's not including celtc in his tweets.

Ex England international footballer condemns sectarian chanting.

Wife beater disregards IRA chants

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 02:08 PM
As clubs you cannot accuse Celtic of actively pursuing any sectarian policy. Rangers on the other adopted a particular policy (much as the club tried to deny it) and refused to sign players of a particular persuasion for almost a century while the authorities here stood by...

Behaviour of fans another matter but it's to do with ignorance - let's not pretend these guys are churchgoers or students of theology! And for better or worse, religion isn't suddenly going away in 21st century Scotland.

Yes, you can.

Celtic had a policy of not allowing non-Catholics on their Board. Even Jock Stein wasn't allowed on the Board.... from memory, he was offered the job as head of their Pools company.

Not sure if this is still the case, TBH.

Andy74
20-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Maybe its just me, but i think singing about the IRA is wrong, i also think singing about hating catholics is wrong and both have no place at a football match.

In fact i dont think there is anywhere they have a place in todays society. If its fine to sing these songs of hatred, then surely racism is fine too?

I don't think anyone would disagree with any of those things. However, what happens a fair bit is songs, or things like flags that have nowt to do with any of those things being linked to them none the less. Take the threrad about the Irish flags at Ibrox - should be nothing wrong with that unless people just want to link anything Irish to the IRA, which is wrong.

You can then get into what is meant by the IRA, singing about freedom fighters and battles of past days may have no relevance in football but then you have Flower of Scotland.

Slicer
20-02-2015, 02:15 PM
I don't think anyone would disagree with any of those things. However, what happens a fair bit is songs, or things like flags that have nowt to do with any of those things being linked to them none the less. Take the threrad about the Irish flags at Ibrox - should be nothing wrong with that unless people just want to link anything Irish to the IRA, which is wrong.

You can then get into what is meant by the IRA, singing about freedom fighters and battles of past days may have no relevance in football but then you have Flower of Scotland.

Why Scottish people would take an Irish tricolour to watch Hibs at Ibrox is beyond me.

Andy74
20-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Why Scottish people would take an Irish tricolour to watch Hibs at Ibrox is beyond me.

Well there's the problem eh?

southsider
20-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Yes, you can.

Celtic had a policy of not allowing non-Catholics on their Board. Even Jock Stein wasn't allowed on the Board.... from memory, he was offered the job as head of their Pools company.

JS took the Leeds job soon after (1975 ?)to pay off, it was rumoured, his bookie.

AndyM_1875
20-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Again... Stan Collymore's tweet was regarding sevco fans singing the billy boys. Why isn't this the real issue here? What has celtc or the IRA got to do with his tweet?

Our society should focus on the fact that a high profile media representative is speaking out about it. Not that he's not including celtc in his tweets.

Ex England international footballer condemns sectarian chanting.

Wife beater disregards IRA chants

Don't think you'll find anyone on here disagreeing with the sentiment of what Collymore is saying. A large number of Rangers fans are appalling creatures and bigoted troglodytes. I've thought that for years but the retort in the West of Scotland is invariably various levels of whataboutery "Aye but they're pure worse!" which gets us absolutely nowhere.

The issue I personally have is that I have no interest in standing alongside another shower of axe grinding pond life who are making hay out of Collymore's pronunciations on Twitter and I'm not interested in their pathetic agendas which are riddled with fantasies and half truths. If you are interested in defeating sectarianism then attacking fans of Glasgow Rangers will only hit a part of the problem.

Slicer
20-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Don't think you'll find anyone on here disagreeing with the sentiment of what Collymore is saying. A large number of Rangers fans are appalling creatures and bigoted troglodytes. I've thought that for years. The retort in the West of Scotland is invariably various levels of whataboutery "Aye but they're pure worse!" which gets us absolutely nowhere.

The issue I personally have is that I have no interest in standing alongside another shower of axe grinding pond life who are making hay out of Collymore's pronunciations on Twitter and I'm not interested in their pathetic agendas which are riddled with fantasies and half truths. If you are interested in defeating sectarianism then attacking fans of Glasgow Rangers will only hit a part of the problem.

You don't have to stand alongside the Celtc pond life and gloat against the newco hoards. These people have nothing to do with his statement! It's not - us v them, and you don't have to choose a side. Their retorts are equally, frequently embarrassing.

This thread is turning into a 'aye but they're pure worse' topic. I agree this gets, us, society, nowhere.

Collymore has exposed an ugly, embarrassing truth. He's gave more publicity to it in one day than every journalist, broadcaster, commentator combined for the last 20 years.

Surely every decent individual who isn't a sevco fan, agrees with Collymore? Kick the huns when they're down I say, hopefully celtc are exposed next.

And yes, exposing sevco only hits a part of the problem, but it's better than a sweep under the carpet and no hit at all.

Barney McGrew
20-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Well there's the problem eh?

The problem is that it is clearly done to wind up the locals.

How many times do you see those flags being used to celebrate our 'heritage' at games other than those against Rangers, and to a lesser extent Hertz?

Anyone who tries to argue its being done with anything other than the intention of causing a reaction is frankly bonkers.

NadeAteMyLunch!
20-02-2015, 03:38 PM
You don't have to stand alongside the Celtc pond life and gloat against the newco hoards. These people have nothing to do with his statement! It's not - us v them, and you don't have to choose a side. Their retorts are equally, frequently embarrassing.

This thread is turning into a 'aye but they're pure worse' topic. I agree this gets, us, society, nowhere.

Collymore has exposed an ugly, embarrassing truth. He's gave more publicity to it in one day than every journalist, broadcaster, commentator combined for the last 20 years.

Surely every decent individual who isn't a sevco fan, agrees with Collymore? Kick the huns when they're down I say, hopefully celtc are exposed next.

And yes, exposing sevco only hits a part of the problem, but it's better than a sweep under the carpet and no hit at all.

Spot on

fatbloke
20-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Rankgers and Smelltic the two cheeks of the same ar5e. No more no less.

fatbloke
20-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Yes, you can.

100% correct CWG.

Spike Mandela
20-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Whataboutery...........indeed.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/euan-mclean-stan-collymore-bigot-5199835

Bronson
20-02-2015, 04:57 PM
No one is asking you to support anyone.

Thanks for clearing that one up:aok:

emerald green
20-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I've no time for men like Stan Collymore who knock women about, so lets get that out of the way first.

However, it's a disgrace that it takes someone like Collymore to call these bigots out whilst the Scottish media, by and large, ignore the bigotry and pure hatred and pretend that it doesn't exist, as per usual. Is it because they are afraid, or do they secretly condone it?

The stuff coming out of The Rangers end at the recent semi-final against Celtic was atrocious. Far far worse than anything coming from the other end. The more the Ibrox club implodes, the worse their supporters are getting because they really do think they are the "peepul".

blackpoolhibs
20-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I've no time for men like Stan Collymore who knock women about, so lets get that out of the way first.

However, it's a disgrace that it takes someone like Collymore to call these bigots out whilst the Scottish media, by and large, ignore the bigotry and pure hatred and pretend that it doesn't exist, as per usual. Is it because they are afraid, or do they secretly condone it?

The stuff coming out of The Rangers end at the recent semi-final against Celtic was atrocious. Far far worse than anything coming from the other end. The more the Ibrox club implodes, the worse their supporters are getting because they really do think they are the "peepul".

Because they don't want to bite the hands that feed them, telling the truth means no sales equals no jobs.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Yes, you can.

That was 40 years ago and perhaps not relevant now? Do people, really ask the religion of PEter Lawell etc. They have the ultra-unionist Labour MP, Brian Wilson on the board. He is not Catholic. Perhaps the lack of non-Catholics had more to do with the fact that the same families have owned them from inception until the era of the bunnet. That is not the same as practising active sectarian signing policies, like their buddies from Govan did for most of the 20th century.

Scott Allan Key
20-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I never said it was vile?

I said some of the stuff they sing is vile.
Like the Rangers fans.

I said there is no place at a football match for hymns of the Church.

If it was some team singing a song that is sung in a mosque the world would have a different opinion on it.

Sectarian songs inciting hatred towards another group I'd agree but religion is part of the fabric of every nation and culture in the world and a positive IMHO. Many of our own songs are adaptions from hymnal music and I'd argue that Sunshine on Leith has religious sentiment. Having a year 0 and wiping out the influence of religion in any area of society is doomed to failure.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 06:28 PM
That was 40 years ago and perhaps not relevant now? Do people, really ask the religion of PEter Lawell etc. They have the ultra-unionist Labour MP, Brian Wilson on the board. He is not Catholic. Perhaps the lack of non-Catholics had more to do with the fact that the same families have owned them from inception until the era of the bunnet. That is not the same as practising active sectarian signing policies, like their buddies from Govan did for most of the 20th century.
I was responding to the poster who suggested that Celtic had never had a sectarian employment policy. They clearly had. Had.

FranckSuzy
20-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Personally, I always thought Celtic's appointment of John Reid was a strange one. He has been Minister for the Armed Forces, Secretary of State for Defence, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, and most recently as Home Secretary (lead minister for domestic counter terrorism).

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I was responding to the poster who suggested that Celtic had never had a sectarian employment policy. They clearly had. Had.

No, they clearly didn't. Read what I said. They were a family owned business and appointed each other to the board. That does not make them sectarian

emerald green
20-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Because they don't want to bite the hands that feed them, telling the truth means no sales equals no jobs.

:agree: That's part of it, for sure.

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 06:57 PM
No, they clearly didn't. Read what I said. They were a family owned business and appointed each other to the board. That does not make them sectarian
You're confusing ownership with executive.

Whilst it's fair to say that the White and Kelly families were the main owners up until the biscuit tin emptied, that wasn't the make-up of the Board.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/Celtic+Board+-+Past

Carheenlea
20-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Personally, I always thought Celtic's appointment of John Reid was a strange one. He has been Minister for the Armed Forces, Secretary of State for Defence, Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, and most recently as Home Secretary (lead minister for domestic counter terrorism).

John Reid was no stranger to Irish Republican song singing in his past.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 07:15 PM
You're confusing ownership with executive.

Whilst it's fair to say that the White and Kelly families were the main owners up until the biscuit tin emptied, that wasn't the make-up of the Board.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/Celtic+Board+-+Past

Do you know the religion of all those listed?

Hibs were in the same boat as regards Irish or Irish descent ownership until Harry Swan was elected to the board, assuming ownership a few years later.

I don't think there is ant comparison between the clubs. Rangers have been a beacon of anti Catholicism for nearly a century of their history. They did not sign known Catholics until the Souness era. Celtic are guilty of milking the cash cow that is religious division, but they are not and never have been a club that is actively sectarian

CropleyWasGod
20-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Hibs were in the same boat as regards Irish or Irish descent ownership until Harry Swan was elected to the board, assuming ownership a few years later.

I don't think there is ant comparison between the clubs. Rangers have been a beacon of anti Catholicism for nearly a century of their history. They did not sign known Catholics until the Souness era. Celtic are guilty of milking the cash cow that is religious division, but they are not and never have been a club that is actively sectarian

So why was Jock Stein not allowed to join the Board?

It's easy for them to say "we only work with those who are Celtic-minded", which is common in a football-club environment ("He's Hibs through and through; he knows this club" etc etc.), but, for me, that falls into the same category as "we could never find any Catholics who were good enough to play for us"..

Part of the issue, of course, (as in the Stein story) is that the media and the public at the time just accepted things as they were. Nobody ever asked the question "why?".

For all their faults, Souness and Murray blew a lot of that away.

hibsbollah
20-02-2015, 07:52 PM

Or in this case the 'Rangers are immune from criticism because Celtic are just as bad' line :applause:

AndyM_1875
20-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Hang on....
Harry Swan was elected to the Hibs board in 1931, later owning the club by the late 30s. That's 60 years and one World War before Celtic had their first non RC in the boardroom. So to compare our outward looking club with that hoopy mob is wrong.

Eyrie
20-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Collymore deserves credit for highlighting the behaviour of the Sevco Huns support.

Collymore deserves criticism for turning a deaf ear to similar behavious by fans of his adopted Septic.

There is no difference between anti-Catholic songs and those glorifying terrorist murderers.

Bishop Hibee
20-02-2015, 08:34 PM
So why was Jock Stein not allowed to join the Board?

It's easy for them to say "we only work with those who are Celtic-minded", which is common in a football-club environment ("He's Hibs through and through; he knows this club" etc etc.), but, for me, that falls into the same category as "we could never find any Catholics who were good enough to play for us"..

Part of the issue, of course, (as in the Stein story) is that the media and the public at the time just accepted things as they were. Nobody ever asked the question "why?".

For all their faults, Souness and Murray blew a lot of that away.

The Kelly and Whyte families wanted to keep Celtc to themselves. No doubt that Stein not being RC was a bit of a factor but they wouldn't let anyone near the reigns of power until the bailiffs were almost at the door. Sadly they sold up.

To grow up in Scotland pre-Maurice Johnstone was to know that one of the 'great' institutions of Scottish culture would not sign you up even if you were better than Pele if you were baptised RC.

A lot wrong with Celtc but when they hear Newco fans singing blatantly anti-catholic songs i.e. "No Pope of Rome" at the League Cup semi without sanction you can understand them getting the hump. I know I do as an RC. Imagine Rangers fans singing "oh no Chief Rabbi, no synagogues to a sadden my eye" etc. Ipox would be shut down in the blink of an eye.

superfurryhibby
20-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Hang on....
Harry Swan was elected to the Hibs board in 1931, later owning the club by the late 30s. That's 60 years and one World War before Celtic had their first non RC in the boardroom. So to compare our outward looking club with that hoopy mob is wrong.

I think I was making the point that there is a difference between a business that is family owned and an institutional policy that reflects and fuels wider tensions in society. Our board up until the election of Harry Swan would have been reflective of the background of our owners, that Alan Lugton refers to as old Irish families, until finances( no change there) compelled change. A business run by Catholics doesn't have to be sectarian is my point; ie Hibs until Harry Swan's election to the board.

Swedish hibee
20-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Wonder if the Scottish big chiefs will make a comment... probably not.
It's been happening for years & no-one has done anything.

Aldo
20-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Wonder if the Scottish big chiefs will make a comment... probably not. It's been happening for years & no-one has done anything.

They've taken it to another level
IMHO by using the word 'Black' at the start.

Absolutely vile bigoted knuckle draggers that are stuck in the past.

The powers that be need to do something about this and need to do it now.

But don't think they will.

lord bunberry
21-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Or in this case the 'Rangers are immune from criticism because Celtic are just as bad' line :applause:
:agree: Why do we have to even mention Celtic when we're talking about Rangers singing sectarian songs.

Slicer
21-02-2015, 01:48 AM
So with the spotlight firmly on them last night, they start calling Collymore a 'black fenian b...'

They really are a special bunch.

Looks like he is reporting it. The SPFL/SFA surely cannot ignore this now?

bingo70
21-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Makes me sad it's only going to get investigated now because an English ex player is forcing the issue. In the same way it was wrong that UEFA were driving the issue a few years ago when they were getting in the ****.

Why do the governing bodies in Scottish football need other people to force them to do something? Its ridiculous and shows there isn't really any appetite to rid this cancer from our game.

weonlywon6-2
21-02-2015, 07:31 AM
The only way to do anything is to charge rangers each time it happens
Collymore has opened a can of worms now, curious to see how the other media outlets react as well

Barney McGrew
21-02-2015, 08:24 AM
The SPFL/SFA surely cannot ignore this now?

They'll have to do something, the match delegate has referred to the singing in his report for the game last night.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-investigate-rangers-sectarian-chanting-5201809

It will no doubt be swept under the carpet however, with claims it was just a minority of their support doing it.

AndyM_1875
21-02-2015, 08:47 AM
So with the spotlight firmly on them last night, they start calling Collymore a 'black fenian b...'

They really are a special bunch.

Looks like he is reporting it. The SPFL/SFA surely cannot ignore this now?

Seems to be a bit of debate over what they actually chanted re Collymore. The clip that's been doing the rounds is far from conclusive.
Rangers fans are saying it was "wife beating bast...."
Neither are exactly wholesome but one isn't racist.

The sectarian stuff however isn't in any doubt. The a Billy Boys was given full belt last night.
It'll be investigated. It has to be.

Carheenlea
21-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Seems to be a bit of debate over what they actually chanted re Collymore. The clip that's been doing the rounds is far from conclusive.
Rangers fans are saying it was "wife beating bast...."
Neither are exactly wholesome but one isn't racist.

The sectarian stuff however isn't in any doubt. The a Billy Boys was given full belt last night.
It'll be investigated. It has to be.

It will be investigated, Rangers fans will be told they need to cut that sort of thing out or their club will face sanctions, then we forget about it till the next time then repeat.

Brizo
21-02-2015, 09:11 AM
A lot wrong with Celtc but when they hear Newco fans singing blatantly anti-catholic songs i.e. "No Pope of Rome" at the League Cup semi without sanction you can understand them getting the hump. I know I do as an RC. Imagine Rangers fans singing "oh no Chief Rabbi, no synagogues to a sadden my eye" etc. Ipox would be shut down in the blink of an eye.

:agree: Or "no mosques to sadden my eye". In either case there would be totally understandable uproar. There would be immediate meaningful media, police and political action, not just lip service.

Makes me sad it's only going to get investigated now because an English ex player is forcing the issue. In the same way it was wrong that UEFA were driving the issue a few years ago when they were getting in the ****.

Why do the governing bodies in Scottish football need other people to force them to do something? Its ridiculous and shows there isn't really any appetite to rid this cancer from our game.

:agree: I can already hear Uncle Walters verbal punchbag Chick, Doddsy and the like sighing and tutting but too scared to say anything that might offend their chums in the Sevco stands. The fence sitters will continue to sit on their fences, be it in the media, fitba governing bodies, Police Glasgow and government. They will be banking on it all blowing over until the next time some pesky English person raises it.

green&left
21-02-2015, 09:19 AM

So did we. Infact you could say we were first club in Britian/Scotland to have a sectarian employment or signing policy.

superfurryhibby
21-02-2015, 09:34 AM
So did we. Infact you could say we were first club in Britian/Scotland to have a sectarian employment or signing policy.

Not since 1890 though.

My point was made in reply to CWG. It is pretty inarguable and the stuff about Stein etc is just nonsense. A business that happens to be owned by folk of a Catholic persuasion can decide who they want on board the board. That doesn't make them sectarian. That makes it a family business owned by two families for most of their existance.

Rangers stood as a beacon of anti Catholicism by virtue of their refusal to employ Catholics, in any capacity. Celtic employed Protestants from the beginning. No comparison.

green&left
21-02-2015, 09:48 AM
The problem is that it is clearly done to wind up the locals.

How many times do you see those flags being used to celebrate our 'heritage' at games other than those against Rangers, and to a lesser extent Hertz?

Anyone who tries to argue its being done with anything other than the intention of causing a reaction is frankly bonkers.

There's been saltires, tri-colours and Palestine flags in the Hibs end at Ibrox this season and you're correct, probably the only away end you'll see them in. However at the same time, how many other teams are as openly anti-Scottish, anti-Irish, pro British, pro-Israeli, anti-Palestine etc etc etc as the huns? None really. They pretty much stand against what alot of our support stand for (or most folk stand for TBH).

If it is for a reaction, surely the dafty across the divide who's giving the slitting throat gesture offended by a piece of printed polyester is worse than the person flying a legitimate national flag?

hibsbollah
21-02-2015, 09:54 AM
Lily livered coverage of last nights singing in the Scottish media today. The Herald says 'Rangers are to be investigated after some of their fans were reported to be singing sectarian songs'. Then three paragraphs about the game. No analysis of the story. Collymore isn't doing analysis for BT sport anymore, complaining hes disgusted at lack of support from journalist colleagues.

There's an argument that we are a nation of cowards. We have succumbed to the bully because we're scared of retribution from them.

Nomeancity
21-02-2015, 09:54 AM
It astounds me the stuff you get on the rangers forum about this. They fall into 2 categories, either the ones that don't care and are still blatantly sectarian or the ones that think it's ok cos celtic are worse.
very few have actually admitted that although collymore is a bit of a tube, what he us saying is factually correct - they seem to just dismiss cos he hasn't mentioned celtic.
even more bizarre are the ones who say 'I never heard it being sung last night' - they genuinely believe that which when you think about it is very worrying( it's the old nazi thing - we didn't know these things were going on?) They can't hear what every one else can - or us there something wrong with my telly? It keeps singing the billy boys when rangers are on? Or maybe it's my neighbours, or is it me that's hearing things?

CB_NO3
21-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Lily livered coverage of last nights singing in the Scottish media today. The Herald says 'Rangers are to be investigated after some of their fans were reported to be singing sectarian songs'. Then three paragraphs about the game. No analysis of the story. Collymore isn't doing analysis for BT sport anymore, complaining hes disgusted at lack of support from journalist colleagues.

There's an argument that we are a nation of cowards. We have succumbed to the bully because we're scared of retribution from them.
I have always thought of British people being a nation of cowards. We always talk the talk. We can spout a lot of crap in pubs and on our keyboards but no one takes action.

emerald green
21-02-2015, 10:54 AM
I have always thought of British people being a nation of cowards. We always talk the talk. We can spout a lot of crap in pubs and on our keyboards but no one takes action.

That's a load of complete nonsense. Presumably that applied when the British people were the last to stand up to Nazi Germany in 1940, or the RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain, or during the Blitz, or the Normandy landings etc etc etc?

FranckSuzy
21-02-2015, 10:55 AM

A slight, sweeping generalisation, naw?

ScottB
21-02-2015, 10:58 AM
It's probably going to need one of the national newspapers to tie it together with the Chelsea incidents for it get traction.

The Scottish media don't want to irk the Rangers fans, who make up a significant chunk of their dwindling customer base, so won't say anything. I can only think that the Police and the SFA have enough Rangers fans / bigots in their senior ranks to keep things brushed under the carpet. So yeah, it'll take pressure from outwith Scotland to push it to the point that they can't hide it any longer.

I mean come on, when you can hear it on TV, there's no defence. That stadium should be shut to home fans as a first step, then points deductions, then relegation till their band of knuckle dragging morons attempt to join the rest of us in the modern world.

blackpoolhibs
21-02-2015, 11:05 AM

There's no argument, this has been the case since i started going to the football. Its not only as in this case sectarianism, its also the way both clubs had manipulated the rules of the game (referee's ref their games different) something many ref's have admitted.

They have also manipulated the way the money is divided up IE tv money, everything around the Scottish game is set up now for both clubs to come out of it much better than the rest of us.

Nobody is strong enough in the game or the media in Scotland, to stand up and say enough is enough. And to be fair who wants their family threatened or even hurt, because thats what these animals will do to get their team on top.

Collymore might be an arse, but if it takes someone from another country to shame us into doing something about this and hopefully the rest of whats been going on in our game, then so be it.

Stranraer
21-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I seem to remember seeing a list of songs that are "banned" by the Scottish Government or SPFL yet Sevco fans last night and plenty of other nights got away with singing about Billy Fullerton and "fenian blood". The Police pointed their video camera at us in Aberdeen when Sean O'Hanlon scored. The OF get away with murder.

Aldo
21-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Until the Scottish football authorities - SPFL/SFA - stand up and denounce this sort of behaviour by the OF (mainly them anyway) then NOWT will happen.

They now have a chance to listen to what was sung last nite and it was plain and clear for us all to hear in BT Sport and take action.

I can pretty much guarantee that the authorities are running scared of this. The second a non OF (and Yam to an extent) do something wrong they are down in them like a ton of bricks.

Get with the now SPFL/SFA/Reagan/Doncaster dos your a laughing stock.

Impose a punishment, make a statement but do something.

The behaviour of Der Hun fans last nite was taken to a new level.

Take Chelsea for example - racist comments/words by supporters and what do they do statement within 24 hours will assist the authorities and state that it's unacceptable behaviour.

truehibernian
21-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Until the Scottish football authorities - SPFL/SFA - stand up and denounce this sort of behaviour by the OF (mainly them anyway) then NOWT will happen.

They now have a chance to listen to what was sung last nite and it was plain and clear for us all to hear in BT Sport and take action.

I can pretty much guarantee that the authorities are running scared of this. The second a non OF (and Yam to an extent) do something wrong they are down in them like a ton of bricks.

Get with the now SPFL/SFA/Reagan/Doncaster dos your a laughing stock.

Impose a punishment, make a statement but do something.

The behaviour of Der Hun fans last nite was taken to a new level.

Take Chelsea for example - racist comments/words by supporters and what do they do statement within 24 hours will assist the authorities and state that it's unacceptable behaviour.

How many arrests were made last night Aldo ? I agree with you, last night they made a perverse 'defiant stand' in their singing/songbook repertoire - the Match Commander, he or she, should be called to account and asked what measures were in place throughout the game - and Police Scotland should come out and explain how they viewed last nights events, as well as the club themselves.

It's up to everyone to take a stand, collectively - silence on the matter is not an option. What's the saying I heard that best describes them all.......'until they become conscious they will never rebel' - the authorities are asleep or have the pillows over their ears shouting 'please let that noise go away' !

Aldo
21-02-2015, 12:12 PM
How many arrests were made last night Aldo ? I agree with you, last night they made a perverse 'defiant stand' in their singing/songbook repertoire - the Match Commander, he or she, should be called to account and asked what measures were in place throughout the game - and Police Scotland should come out and explain how they viewed last nights events, as well as the club themselves. It's up to everyone to take a stand, collectively - silence on the matter is not an option. What's the saying I heard that best describes them all.......'until they become conscious they will never rebel' - the authorities are asleep or have the pillows over their ears shouting 'please let that noise go away' !

More than certain the MC would highlight this and would add to the match report.

At the end of the day they just need to watch the rerun of the whole game and they will hear it.

I predict that nothing will happen to the club and individuals will be traced and dealt with accordingly.

The authorities in Scotland don't have the bottle IMHO!

big-mo
21-02-2015, 12:46 PM
If, and it is big IF, the SFA or SPFL take any action against the club, what form do you think that would be? Slap across the wrist and told not to do it again. Or Points deduction. Or a fine. Or relegation. Or playing behind closed doors. Or is there anything else they could do?

Nomeancity
21-02-2015, 12:50 PM
If, and it is big IF, the SFA or SPFL take any action against the club, what form do you think that would be? Slap across the wrist and told not to do it again. Or Points deduction. Or a fine. Or relegation. Or playing behind closed doors. Or is there anything else they could do?

both clubs should be compensated by the SFA and spfl due to the stress and offence they have caused each other.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-02-2015, 01:08 PM
We need to ramp this up a bit instead of just moaning about it on here. What can we do though??

Elephant Stone
21-02-2015, 01:10 PM
We need to ramp this up a bit instead of just moaning about it on here. What can we do though??

Boycott sponsors and let the sponsors know you're boycotting them.

Eyrie
21-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Sevco Huns will get asked to "do their best" to stop this happening (yet) again.

Raith will be fined for not stopping the chants happening at Starks Parks.

CB_NO3
21-02-2015, 01:27 PM
That's a load of complete nonsense. Presumably that applied when the British people were the last to stand up to Nazi Germany in 1940, or the RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain, or during the Blitz, or the Normandy landings etc etc etc?
I am talking now. Modern day.

weonlywon6-2
21-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Either fine Rangers or deduct points and eventually they will get the message, maybe😊

Barney McGrew
21-02-2015, 07:09 PM

They'll find them guilty, but only put in place a fine which will be suspended pending any repeat occurrences.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-02-2015, 08:11 PM
They'll find them guilty, but only put in place a fine which will be suspended pending any repeat occurrences.

Then when it is repeated, nothing will happen. Then the cycle will continue again. Depressing

emerald green
21-02-2015, 08:23 PM
I am talking now. Modern day.

Then it's still nonsense IMHO. What suddenly changed to turn a whole people into a nation of cowards? It's just too generalised a statement to make and way OTT.

Sir David Gray
21-02-2015, 08:28 PM

If they get any punishment (which I highly doubt) it will be in the form of an official written warning.

There's no danger they'll get a fine or a points deduction. A fine would finish them off and a points deduction would severely harm their chances of promotion.

monarch
21-02-2015, 11:35 PM
I feel that a pragmatic punishment would be a suspended points deduction say 3 or 6 points. That would save the SFA/SPFL any immediate awkward embarrassment or getting their windows put in. Also excludes the Daily Ranger, chic Young et al from going apoplectic.
We all know that in the near future the Neanderthal choir will be unable to help themselves and all the evidence will be heard on Sky/ BBC/BT so conviction will be unavoidable.
Whats not to like :wink:

Deansy
22-02-2015, 12:30 AM
The GFA will go for their usual cop-out - 'No further action as the club have taken the appropriate measures to prevent this' !.
What these 'Measures' are, no-one seems to know as they're kept very quiet !!

jacomo
22-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Nice to see the English MSM picking this up:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/21/debate-old-firm-rangers-celtic

In particular, the article criticises the 'whataboutery' defence - it doesn't matter if Celtc fans also behave badly, the Rangers have no excuse.

Incidentally, 'Hun' is not a sectarian term.

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 12:36 PM
More than certain the MC would highlight this and would add to the match report.

At the end of the day they just need to watch the rerun of the whole game and they will hear it.

I predict that nothing will happen to the club and individuals will be traced and dealt with accordingly.

The authorities in Scotland don't have the bottle IMHO!

Apparently on sportsound yesterday they were saying that all the clubs signed up to the policy that as long as clubs had evidence that they had as a club done as much as they could then they could not be held responsible for the actions of the fans. If this is true then that is an abdication of responsibility of a high order. Quite incredible this sort of nonsense is still allowed to happen in a supposedly modern society. Tom English was very good on this yesterday and I agreed with every word he said.

Aldo
22-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Apparently on sportsound yesterday they were saying that all the clubs signed up to the policy that as long as clubs had evidence that they had as a club done as much as they could then they could not be held responsible for the actions of the fans. If this is true then that is an abdication of responsibility of a high order. Quite incredible this sort of nonsense is still allowed to happen in a supposedly modern society. Tom English was very good on this yesterday and I agreed with every word he said.

Identify folk ban them and if that means closing a stand then so be it. So what they are saying is that they've no control over how their fans behave inside their own and others grounds and the can pretty much do and sing what they want. If this is indeed the case then it's fair to say nothing will happen. To say I'm not surprised is an understatement. I wonder what would happen if the likes of Montrose or East Stirling (no disrespect meant to these teams) and a number of their fans started signing songs like they did on Fri nite. I think we all know that answer. So Der Hun can continue to sing racist sectarian songs and the SFA/SPFL will do nothing about it. Bottle merchants.

hibsbollah
22-02-2015, 12:45 PM

In Ulster it most definitely is.

I listened to a radio programme where a catholic lad in northern ireland was describing being called a 'hun lover' by his community for having a protestant girlfriend.

I agree, it is an excellent article. And it would never have made it to the scottish newspapers.

Moulin Yarns
22-02-2015, 03:17 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/21/debate-old-firm-rangers-celtic

In particular, the article criticises the 'whataboutery' defence - it doesn't matter if Celtc fans also behave badly, the Rangers have no excuse.

I liked the Spanish attitude to offensive chants.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2015, 03:25 PM
In Ulster it most definitely is.

I listened to a radio programme where a catholic lad in northern ireland was describing being called a 'hun lover' by his community for having a protestant girlfriend.

I agree, it is an excellent article. And it would never have made it to the scottish newspapers.

I suppose the word hun in Scotland has become sectarian over the years because they dont like it, as when i was growing up it always meant like the Germans invading other countrys, their fans used to invade towns and cities all over the country every second week.

superfurryhibby
22-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I suppose the word hun in Scotland has become sectarian over the years because they dont like it, as when i was growing up it always meant like the Germans invading other countrys, their fans used to invade towns and cities all over the country every second week.

It's a divisive word and intended to be insulting, just like unwashed, smellies, hub cap stealers, ginger bassa wedgie. Just because they don't like it, doesn't make is sectarian. Which faith does it insult?

Now aids ridden Fenian bassa, that's both sectarian and highly offensive

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2015, 04:11 PM
It's a divisive word and intended to be insulting, just like unwashed, smellies, hub cap stealers, ginger bassa wedgie. Just because they don't like it, doesn't make is sectarian. Which faith does it insult?

Now aids ridden Fenian bassa, that's both sectarian and highly offensive

The meaning of words do change over the years, i remember when i used to watch hibs with a gay abandonment. :wink: Is it black or coloured, words change and this certainly has for them, not me i might add but because they want to be outraged and get at Celtic and their insults, the word hun is now deemed sectarian in Scotland.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2015, 04:25 PM
It would be an interesting one if any Protestant supporters of clubs across Scotland got arrested for directing the word "hun" towards Sevco or their fans.

Because I suspect that the vast majority of people in Scotland, who use that word, do so as a way to describe Sevco and their fans, without any thought of religion, myself included.

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2015, 04:46 PM
:agree: Why do we have to even mention Celtic when we're talking about Rangers singing sectarian songs.

Because it's the establishment's way of ensuring nothing gets done. They are willfully incapable of simply looking at a single incident on its merits.

Stax
22-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Good article by Daniel Taylor, the telling point for me was Collymore being dropped by BT for purely commercial reasons. That unfortunately is the problem, too many profiting by perpetuating this gash.

22-02-2015, 06:28 PM

A common characteristic of celtic fans - think of themselves as angels and its all the big bad huns that do wrong :rolleyes: Absolutely despise the huns but at least they know they're horrible to some extent - celtic fans delude themselves that they are a wonderful, morally righteous whiter than white club.

hibsbollah
22-02-2015, 06:35 PM
It would be an interesting one if any Protestant supporters of clubs across Scotland got arrested for directing the word "hun" towards Sevco or their fans.

Because I suspect that the vast majority of people in Scotland, who use that word, do so as a way to describe Sevco and their fans, without any thought of religion, myself included.

I use the word 'hun' a lot. I use it to mean a particular brand of moronic knuckledragging rangers fan. But I probably shouldn't since it has other connotations. .