PDA

View Full Version : adopted teams?

ManBearPig
19-02-2015, 02:43 PM
I have recently started watching (last 5 years) and decided that I would follow all results relating to bourussia monchengladbach as I lived there as a kid and recently found out thanks to google maps their stadium is built on site of my primary school! Standard of football seems brilliant over there and great stadiums almost always over 25k

tartanhibee
19-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Glory hunter lol

I remember they played dundee United in the semi-final of the Uefa cup in 1988

nellio
19-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Hibs are my adopted team technically! Been living here 2 and a half years now though and have been to most home games since i've been here so not sure it counts!

Billy Whizz
19-02-2015, 04:08 PM
I've been to see Malaga play on a number of occasions, always look out for their results, and a great place for a holiday.

jgl07
19-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Strangely enough I adopted Hibs years ago when growing up in Manchester. I had a few football annuals and two had pictures of Lawrie Reilly, one in a Hibs strip and one in a Scotalnd shirt. I always looked out for Hibs results little knowing that I would one day move to Edinburgh.

SteveHFC
19-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Always look out for Frankfurt's results since i went there a few years ago.

GreensesArab
19-02-2015, 05:21 PM
I've been to see Malaga play on a number of occasions, always look out for their results, and a great place for a holiday.

Shame you couldn't get up to Seville, Billy. Home of Real Betis. Play in green and white, have huge passionate following and this year's away strip is classic green with white sleeves.

Pretty Boy
19-02-2015, 05:25 PM
I went through a phase or following a team in most leagues just to give games a bit interest.

Spain - Barcelona and Real Betis
Germany - Werder Bremen
Italy - Napoli
France - Marseille
England - Man Utd and Bournemouth
Greece - Panathanikos
Turkey - Beskitas
Portugal - Sporting Lisbon

And so on.

Now I rarely watch any football other than Scottish so haven't followed any for a while. I never 'supported' any of those teams (before the sniping starts) although I did attend a fair few Barcelona games and there was never any conflict with Hibs. I think as my interest in football, Hibs excepted, has dropped so has my interest in trying to follow other teams.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Shame you couldn't get up to Seville, Billy. Home of Real Betis. Play in green and white, have huge passionate following and this year's away strip is classic green with white sleeves.

Never been to Seville, but would love to go. Not many direct flights from Edinburgh.

My daughter has got their green vertical strip shirt from a few years ago. Wonder how good Jamie Walker will look in that strip, when he signs for them😄😄😄😄😄

Golden Bear
19-02-2015, 05:51 PM
None, absolutely none, I'm a Hibby to the core.

Unless of course you count my home town team of Peebles Rovers whom I've watched several times this season. (I'm a glory hunter as they currently sit top of their league :wink:)

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Like most fitba fans I'm not very good at being a neutral so I tend to pick a team to follow. I don't have satellite telly so my teams come from coverage on terrestrial TV past and present. So here they are:

Fiorentina

Utrecht

Newells Old boys

Werder Bremen

Everton

New York Jets :greengrin

If the Spanish league ever comes to council telly it will definitely be Rayo Vallecano :greengrin

Pete
19-02-2015, 06:14 PM
In the eighties there were English teams who won things regularly such as Liverpool and Everton and people latched onto them. Idiot boy chose Oxford United because they won the league cup in 1986 and I've kind of looked out for them ever since.

pontius pilate
19-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Spurs are my only adopted team as i went to the lane a few times whilst posted in essex.

MKHIBEE
19-02-2015, 06:27 PM
See a few have adopted Werder Bremen, was there 2 weekends ago when they played Bayer Leverkusen, it was part of a brilliant 3 games in 3 cities in 3 days trip to Germany. We had a fantastic day in Bremen and the friendliness the fans showed us before, during and,especially, after the match was outstanding, so, Werder Bremen are a team I intend to go and watch again in the future

MKHIBEE
19-02-2015, 06:30 PM
None, absolutely none, I'm a Hibby to the core.

Unless of course you count my home town team of Peebles Rovers whom I've watched several times this season. (I'm a glory hunter as they currently sit top of their league :wink:)

i followed the rovers a lot as a kid, which was a long time ago, never remember them being top of the league though!

O'Rourke3
19-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Exeter City thanks to a training course back in the 1990's. Even seen them play at home. No others in any country.

Carheenlea
19-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Hibs are my adopted team technically! Been living here 2 and a half years now though and have been to most home games since i've been here so not sure it counts!

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Just out of interest, where do you hail from originally, and did you follow anyone in the past?

Nameless
19-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Alaves
Dortmund
Hertha Berlin
Parma
Roma
AZ Alkmaar
Boca Juniors
Kashima Antlers

Mostly based on me liking their strips when I was young. The only teams I genuinely "follow" are Hibs and Everton.

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2015, 09:04 PM
In 84-85 when Everton won the league, I went to Liverpool one week and Everton the next purely down to a good mate of ours taking ill. He offered me his ST as he sat with 3 others who were all my mates.It was quite decent going to a game every single week and though I hate to say it Everton were playing some great football. I did miss the last home game at Goodison though :-)

Haymaker
19-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Adopted West Ham and to a lesser extent Southampton as I lived there and my god son is growing up a Saint and Hibs fan.

The_Exile
19-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Spurs for me, I was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic in the early 90's. Thought I'd never play football again, as a 7 year old that was devestating. Gary Mabbutt was a bit of a poster boy for the condition, imagine my surprise when he had me and my old man down for a game after I wrote to him asking how he managed to play with type 1 diabetes and was there any hope for me? Class act.

I follow Fiorentina as I lived in Florence for a wee while. Also cheer on Newcastle when they're on as they're the local premiership team. Always liked watching Atletico in Spain since the Torres and Ibagaza days.

monktonharp
19-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Mussie Athletic. used to sneak into their Musselburgh 5's competition. my cuz stayed in Campie road and we went doon the cul-de-sac at campie gardens(I think) jumped the wall and we were in. saw John Greig, playing for that Govan mob there. big money earner for the Athletic, at one time and I'm sure Willie Ormond or his son sponsored the competition at one time, when they had the Hayweights Pub.

Swedish hibee
19-02-2015, 09:32 PM
In the 80's when everyone liked Liverpool, I started my love affair with Forest because I liked the badge!

Hovehibby
19-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Loved reading a book called "A Year In Verona" by Tim Parks, and always watch out for Hellas Verona's results. Also occasionally watch Brighton as they're my local team.

Renfrew_Hibby
19-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Everton, River & RCD Espanyol for me.

Hibby Bairn
19-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Soft spot for Southampton. Played at The Dell in 1981 as a juvenile player and followed them after that. Lawrie McMenemy had a good team back then.

AltheHibby
20-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Aston Villa after my nice married a Villa fan. Its just like watching Hibs at times!

ChilliEater
20-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Perth Glory since I've been living here for 10 years now. Otherwise I tend to take a liking to anyone playing good football, so Brian Clough's Forest, Mike Walker's Norwich, George Burley's Ipswich, for example, have all had me hoping they did well at the time. Having lived in Suffolk for 10 years in the past I still take an interest in Ipswich's results, but a defeat for them doesn't ruin my week the way a Hibs defeat does.
The only team that matters to me as much as the Hibees are the Fremantle Dockers, but that's a different code entirely :-)

wpj
20-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Based on places I've lived
Fortuna Düsseldorf
Leyton Orient
Royston Town are now my local team

HiBremian
20-02-2015, 09:27 AM
See a few have adopted Werder Bremen, was there 2 weekends ago when they played Bayer Leverkusen, it was part of a brilliant 3 games in 3 cities in 3 days trip to Germany. We had a fantastic day in Bremen and the friendliness the fans showed us before, during and,especially, after the match was outstanding, so, Werder Bremen are a team I intend to go and watch again in the future

When I finally moved to Bremen it was a no-brainier to support Werder. Same colours, same strip some seasons, same infuriating inconsistency (almost relegated last season, poor start this season but picking up), great fans, in the financial shadow of the glory teams. And the stadium is ringed with solar panels. Green in every sense. Stadium is 1km from our flat :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diclonius
20-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Arbroath (local team for 19 years), Newcastle and Inter. Soft spot for AEK too. About it.

Dalianwanda
20-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Can't get excited about anyone but Hibs...gonna start going to some Sligo Rovers games this season tho

Paloschi
20-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Can't get excited about anyone but Hibs...gonna start going to some Sligo Rovers games this season tho

Fiorentina
Perugia
Saint Etienne
Las Palmas (Dad brought me a top back from Gran Canaria)
Brisbane Roar (Went to a few games, family in Brisbane)
Southend (Uncles team)

nellio
20-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Good to hear :thumbsup:

Just out of interest, where do you hail from originally, and did you follow anyone in the past?

From South Wales, small town called Cwmbran. Lived in Cardiff 12 years before moving to Edinburgh in 2012. Supported Cardiff City since I was a young lad and used to travel on the train from Cwmbran to Cardiff to watch the bluebirds. Had a Cardiff season ticket for many years. When I moved to Edinburgh I really missed going to the footie every weekend so started going to ER with the missus old man. He's had a season ticket for donkeys years.

Despite the rubbish football under first Fenlon and then even worse under Butcher and that idiot Malpas I got a season ticket as I found myself going most games. Like to think of myself now as a fully fleged hibee.

Taking a pal from S Wales to the game on Saturday!!

Mon the Hibees!

heretoday
20-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I quite fancied Everton in the sixties but Hibs took over obviously. With access to their games via streaming I started watching the Toffees again during the Moyes era.

Since then I have visited Goodison (and Anfield) and like Liverpool as a city very much. Being an outsider, I bear no animosity towards the Reds at all and in fact enjoy watching them when they are charging forward - except against Everton!

Everton is the sort of club that it's hard not to get obsessed with.

nellio
20-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Based on places I've lived
Fortuna Düsseldorf
Leyton Orient
Royston Town are now my local team

MY best mate lives in Royston. Im taking him to Easter road this Saturday!

Greencore
20-02-2015, 02:25 PM
England - everton
Spain - n/a
France- L'om (Marseille)
Germany - Kaiserslautern

LancsHibs
20-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Cod Army!

JohnStephens91
20-02-2015, 02:45 PM
My mum is from Boston, so I follow New England Revolution, started watching them properly about three years ago, along with Houston Dynamo, but it's the Revs all the way for me in the MLS. I also support the USA in international football, been to Hampden twice in the away end (1-1 and 0-0) to London for the game against Colombia which Colombia won 2-1, and to Dublin, which Ireland won 4-1. Safe to say a few of the people I've met at the games call me the bad luck charm! :wink:

hibsbollah
20-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Olympique Marseille. And in quite a big way now. Probably behind Hibs but in front of the Scotland national team in order of my interest.

Iain G
20-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Wellington Phoenix. Many years of living in Welly and suffering, with some good times :-)

Cod Boy
20-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Cod Army!

Couldnt agree more

kennyh
20-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Liverpool have been my constant team as Ive supported them since I realised I would rarely see Hibs win anything.....

I've always gone and supported my local team when working down South so have watched a few clubs a number of times, my dad was a Hammer so I tried to be but no matter how much i wanted to I couldnt really feel anything for those local clubs. Give me Hibs V St Johnstone ahead of Brighton V Palace, West Ham V Chelsea.
By far the best fun was Slough Town when i had the pleasure of living there ~ a good few of us would go to the home games and an occasional away day. I recall shouting abuse at Graeme Roberts at Woking one day as he took a throw in, he looked shocked as he looked over his shoulder to try and suss out who called him a dirty Hun XXXXXXX.

In the last few years living through here Ive see a fair few Accies games and i enjoy the craic with my pals and sometimes its a decent enough game but the reality is the only time I ever get truly excited at any League/Cup game is any time Hibs are on the attack or defending and it looks like we are in danger of losing a goal.

Baader
20-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Arsenal. Spent four years living round the corner from Highbury. Opposite where the Emirates now is.

I have a soft spot for my local club Charlton (Millwall equidistant but despite having Scottish roots just couldnae support them.. )

inglisavhibs
20-02-2015, 05:19 PM
I have recently started watching (last 5 years) and decided that I would follow all results relating to bourussia monchengladbach as I lived there as a kid and recently found out thanks to google maps their stadium is built on site of my primary school! Standard of football seems brilliant over there and great stadiums almost always over 25k

Oldham and Bournemouth for me. Oldham link is Bobby Johnston and Bournemouth is from holidays as a kid.

magnificent_seven
20-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Used to go to quite a lot of Dortmund games from about 2005-2010 when my dad lived in Germany.

Also had a season ticket for Sydney FC when I lived over there. So they are probably the only two teams that I look out for. I do have a small affinity with Liverpool too as my pal in Sydney that I had a season ticket with was from Birkenhead and was Liverpool daft. We used to go to the Sydney game on the Saturday night, get wrecked during the game and then find the nearest pub to watch the Liverpool game. :party:

Carheenlea
20-02-2015, 06:38 PM

My wife is from Co Galway and have seen Galway Utd a good few times over the years when over visiting the family. When Galway went down the tubes a couple of years ago a part of me was actually pretty relieved that I wouldn`t have to put myself through the torture ever again of heading to Terryland when I was over. It made watching Hibs under Terry Butcher like watching Brazil circa 1970. They are back up and running again, but luckily I have not been down to see the new side yet.

Simmyalva
20-02-2015, 06:41 PM
England- Bristol City
Italy- Hellas Verona
Germany- Kickers Offenbach

DH1875
20-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Olympique Marseille. And in quite a big way now. Probably behind Hibs but in front of the Scotland national team in order of my interest.

Often wondered, but are you French?

Mixu62
21-02-2015, 04:04 AM
Italy - fiorentina (purple strip)
France - st etienne (green and white strip)
Spain - real betis - go on guess
England - Scarborough (childhood holidays) not for the obvious glory hunting.

Hibeesmad
21-02-2015, 04:37 AM
Always considered myself as a Spurs fan, been to games both home and away, always been a club one or two signings away from becoming something big and I think that will come eventually. I also have a soft spot for Newcastle, particularly down to the stadium which I love and also the film 'Goal' which is one of my all time favourite football films

micka_weer
21-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Had an RC Lens top when I was young so always look out for their score. Enjoy the odd game at Carlisle now and again too

wpj
21-02-2015, 08:04 AM
MY best mate lives in Royston. Im taking him to Easter road this Saturday!

Hope he enjoys it!
Forgot to mention Finn Harps who I have seen play a couple of times

Sylar
21-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Hibs became my adopted team really - went to watch Livingston with my dad for years but got totally underwhelmed during the financial problems and fell away from football. Friend took me to Easter Road during the Mowbray era and the football on show was so good, I've been hooked ever since!

Haven't adopted any team since moving to England and don't have any interest in English football really. I used to keep my eyes open for Olympique Marseille's scores for a while but not so much anymore. I also follow New England Revolution but I can't say avidly - I'm a huge Patriots/Red Sox (Pawtucket) fan on account of having lived in New England for a while so it's almost a proxy association. Having said that, I've never found myself able to follow the Boston Celtics for some reason :greengrin

As a dual national I support both Scotland and the USA and hate when they play each other, though I cheer on Scotland in those instances (the exception being during the Potter era).

hibsbollah
21-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Often wondered, but are you French?

No mate, i just like them a lot :sauzee: