PDA

View Full Version : is the Scotsman wrong or is it me?

AltheHibby
17-02-2015, 10:35 PM
In the report on the Berwick match it states that George Best played at Shielfield in a Scottish cup match for us. My memory tells me he missed that game. Am I just losing it or is the Scotsman getting even poorer?

Jonnyboy
17-02-2015, 10:41 PM
In the report on the Berwick match it states that George Best played at Shielfield in a Scottish cup match for us. My memory tells me he missed that game. Am I just losing it or is the Scotsman getting even poorer?

Best played at Shielfield but was 'unfit' for the replay

portycabbage
17-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Best played at Shielfield but was 'unfit' for the replay

A guy I knew claimed to be drinking with him in the North British at the time!

monktonharp
17-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I guy I knew claimed to be drinking with him in the North British at the time!you must mean "a guy" . but, I will go with Jonny on this one.

AltheHibby
17-02-2015, 11:17 PM
It's me then!! Thanks.

portycabbage
17-02-2015, 11:39 PM
you must mean "a guy" . but, I will go with Jonny on this one.

I do, edited!

It may be that it was the replay when GB was in the pub with said "guy".:greengrin

Particularly as GB did play in the original match-

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=69740

brog
18-02-2015, 09:27 AM
A guy I knew claimed to be drinking with him in the North British at the time!

2 great Edinburgh myths.
1) Ever since the story emerged about George drinking with the French rugby team, the night before our cup tie with Ayr, hunners of people claim to have been drinking with George in the NB at various times when games were being played. The NB bar must have been about the size of Hampden! The funny thing is the French occasion was the only time George drank in the NB.
2) Big Tam, Sean Connery, was our milkman! Sean's milk round must have been of marathon standards & his horse would have given Red Rum a hiding!
Great fun though & I love the way these stories develop over time!

scoopyboy
18-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Definitely played, I was there to witness it.

One of my favourite Hibs questions was / is

When Hibs played Berwick Rangers in that game there was a man on the pitch who had won a European Cup medal, another who had a European Cup Winners Cup medal and another who had a UEFA Cup winners medal. Name the three players?

If George hadn't played my question would have been null and void.:cb

brog
18-02-2015, 09:38 AM

When Hibs played Berwick Rangers in that game there was a man on the pitch who had won a European Cup medal, another who had a European Cup Winners Cup medal and another who had a UEFA Cup winners medal. Name the three players?

Great question! I assume the UEFA would be Peter Cormack but can't think of the other. I presume someone, perhaps ex Oldco, playing for Berwick - Dave Smith?

Kato
18-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Peter Cormack with the UEFA Cup medal.

scoopyboy
18-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Great question! I assume the UEFA would be Peter Cormack but can't think of the other. I presume someone, perhaps ex Oldco, playing for Berwick - Dave Smith?

Correct, Dave Smith was Berwick Rangers player / manager for a while.

Met him in the now flattened Robins Neuk in Macmerry one night years ago and asked him the question, he got it after a while but he got Best and Cormack before he got himself. To be fair I think he was on a bit of a downward spiral at the time.

brog
18-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Correct, Dave Smith was Berwick Rangers player / manager for a while.

Met him in the now flattened Robins Neuk in Macmerry one night years ago and asked him the question, he got it after a while but he got Best and Cormack before he got himself. To be fair I think he was on a bit of a downward spiral at the time.

I know how he feels! I remembered that game from 35 years ago but can't remember what I had for dinner last night. Great question though & it was only as I was typing that it came to me!

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I know how he feels! I remembered that game from 35 years ago but can't remember what I had for dinner last night. Great question though & it was only as I was typing that it came to me!

Bizarrely, I have no memory of that game.

I do, however, remember when we played them in 67 (?). After they beat the lesser Rangers, we got them at ER. I think we beat them 1-0.

PS, I had veggie sausages last night.

Billy Whizz
18-02-2015, 12:28 PM

I do, however, remember when we played them in 67 (?). After they beat the lesser Rangers, we got them at ER. I think we beat them 1-0.

I can't remember this game either. What I can remember is a Scottish Cup game on a Sunday v Ayr United, where Georgie boy didn't show. Think we scored a 90th minute winner!

oneone73
18-02-2015, 12:31 PM

I remember that game. Pat Quinn scored the winner?

I had mushroom stroganoff last night. Must be a veggie thing.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I remember that game. Pat Quinn scored the winner?

I had mushroom stroganoff last night. Must be a veggie thing.

It was at the bottom of the slope, and I was standing at the other end. It was late in the second half. No memory of who scored, but I can remember the relief.

Just as I did this morning when the sausages took effect....

Purple & Green
18-02-2015, 12:46 PM
It was at the bottom of the slope, and I was standing at the other end. It was late in the second half. No memory of who scored, but I can remember the relief.

Just as I did this morning when the sausages took effect....

It was Jim Scott, set up by Pat Quinn just before half time according to the Evening Times that day. 29,911 there apparently [it was before I was born].

First time we'd ever met Berwick competitively. We've played them seven times, and although we've drawn twice they have yet to score against us.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=33&from=128&to=144&competition=0&venue=0&update=Update

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 12:49 PM
It was Jim Scott, set up by Pat Quinn just before half time according to the Evening Times that day. 29,911 there apparently [it was before I was born].

First time we'd ever met Berwick competitively. We've played them seven times, and although we've drawn twice they have yet to score against us.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?opposition=33&from=128&to=144&competition=0&venue=0&update=Update

Astonishing.

No doubt, a large part of the crowd were attracted by what Berwick had done in the previous round, but that is pretty amazing. Now I know why I was standing at the Dunbar End. It was a regular occurrence in those days for my Dad to take me to that end.

Golden Bear
18-02-2015, 12:53 PM

Correct. I've already had a conversation on that game this morning. I couldn't remember the scorer but the guy I was talking to said it was Jim Scott. I can't argue now!

SJNB Hibby
18-02-2015, 02:37 PM

Well you've likely fixed that :rolleyes:

Shetland_Hibby
18-02-2015, 03:57 PM

I do remember that game as well as it was my first ever game! Jock Wallace was the Berwick keeper and I think he saved a penalty.

Purple & Green
18-02-2015, 04:03 PM
I do remember that game as well as it was my first ever game! Jock Wallace was the Berwick keeper and I think he saved a penalty.

He did from Jim Scott in the scond half.

Fergos
18-02-2015, 09:36 PM
I can't remember this game either. What I can remember is a Scottish Cup game on a Sunday v Ayr United, where Georgie boy didn't show. Think we scored a 90th minute winner!

Could be wrong here pal but that Scottish cup game against Ayr was well after George was at ER.

GGTTH

brog
19-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Could be wrong here pal but that Scottish cup game against Ayr was well after George was at ER.

GGTTH

No, it was the game that George didn't show for. Almost exactly 35 years ago! We won 2-0, poor Willie Murray was booed when his name was called out instead of George's & more astonishingly Duncan Lambie scored a cracker!

Fergos
19-02-2015, 11:51 AM
No, it was the game that George didn't show for. Almost exactly 35 years ago! We won 2-0, poor Willie Murray was booed when his name was called out instead of George's & more astonishingly Duncan Lambie scored a cracker!

We played Ayr again then years later on a Sunday in the cup and won 1-0 with a last minute goal then, the game my first post was replying to from earlier in thread...

...or I'm having a lucid interval!

GGTTH

brog
19-02-2015, 01:58 PM
We played Ayr again then years later on a Sunday in the cup and won 1-0 with a last minute goal then, the game my first post was replying to from earlier in thread...

GGTTH

Yep, 29 years ago this week. Eddie May scored in last minute.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2015, 02:15 PM

GGTTH

We played them twice in the 80's. Maybe I've got the score wrong, but Bestie didn't show up for the 1st Ayr game. Seemingly he was down in the Grassmarket at the time!

southsider
19-02-2015, 02:24 PM
We played them twice in the 80's. Maybe I've got the score wrong, but Bestie didn't show up for the 1st Ayr game. Seemingly he was down in the Grassmarket at the time!

Is that no the time he had an all night sesh wi the French rugby team or was that another time ?

Fergos
19-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Yep, 29 years ago this week. Eddie May scored in last minute.

That's the one pal.

Seem to remember them bringing a large support that day with a bit of trouble up town before and after.

GGTTH