PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Daft: Sam Martinez Celebrates his 105th Birthday

tigerted
17-02-2015, 02:01 PM
St. Patrick’s Branch and of course all the Hibs Family, would like to congratulate Sam Martinez, the oldest Hibernian F.C. Supporter alive. We wish him a very happy 105th birthday, tomorrow Wednesday 18th February. Sam has been watching Hibs since he moved to Edinburgh at the end of the Second World War. He first came to Scotland in 1942 from British Honduras.......................................... ........read the full story here:

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/category/news/

:hibees :not worth :flag:

hibbybrian
17-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Happy Birthday to Sam - wish I'd seen some of the games he was at :not worth

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 03:23 PM
I hope he has a great day. Does anyone know how his sponsored walk thing went?

brog
17-02-2015, 03:24 PM
Great to know that Sammy's still with us. A wonderful character of whom I have very fond memories!

EdinMike
17-02-2015, 03:26 PM
My auld man reminded me the other day, can't remember if he said he was going to go visit him or not. If he is I'll pass on all the best wishes !

mca
17-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Never Knew the guy.. but 105.. wow.. Happy Birthday fae Devon http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

Stantons Angel
17-02-2015, 05:47 PM
I hope he has a great day. Does anyone know how his sponsored walk thing went?

YIP! Sammy started off the walk and waited with the mini bus for the others to finish.

IMR we raised £700 plus the tax back option and all monies donated went direct to CHAS by just giving.

He is a truly remarkable wee man who is loved so much by his family and friends and also his Hibs family!

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Happy Birthday to the wee man :agree:

Stantons Angel
17-02-2015, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=tigerted;4305558]St. Patrick’s Branch and of course all the Hibs Family, would like to congratulate Sam Martinez, the oldest Hibernian F.C. Supporter alive. We wish him a very happy 105th birthday, tomorrow Wednesday 18th February. Sam has been watching Hibs since he moved to Edinburgh at the end of the Second World War. He first came to Scotland in 1942 from British Honduras.......................................... ........read the full story here:

http://hiberniansaintpatricks.co.uk/category/news/

Nice wee piece written by Gordon about our Sammy.

I know Sammy very well indeed and travelled with him on Maude's bus for many years

The Montrose incident has gone down in Hibee folklore and still makes me smile! I was one of the ones who went out looking for him and his pal that night in Montrose.

We looked everywhere accept the supporters club where Sam and his chum had gone for a quick drink and forgot the time!

I met his son at university a couple of years ago and he asked me if his dad's rendering of the Montrose story was true, i dont think the family believed him!!

A very Hibbie Birthday Sam and may you have many more of them!!

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 06:23 PM
YIP! Sammy started off the walk and waited with the mini bus for the others to finish.

IMR we raised £700 plus the tax back option and all monies donated went direct to CHAS by just giving.

He is a truly remarkable wee man who is loved so much by his family and friends and also his Hibs family!

Great stuff! :aok: I remember chipping in at the time but don't recall any follow up story.

Stantons Angel
17-02-2015, 06:44 PM
There were many on this site did too. Mrs Simpson from CHAS did speak with Sammy telling him about the support he had on Hibs.Net and he was absolutely delighted with the response. I also spoke with his granddaughter too about the contibution made.[emoji5]

Iggy Pope
17-02-2015, 07:23 PM
I've possibly said this before, but I was a travelling Hawkhill member for many years and as a kid, I knew that Sammy was by far the most exotic Hibby I had ever encountered right down to his accent and his style. Probably still is.

Same couldn't be said for auld Wullie and the rest of his counterparts!

I hope he lives another 105. Brilliant old character who should be treated like royalty (or better) at Easter Road.

Boyle89
17-02-2015, 07:29 PM
I mimd the story the bbc did on him before that final. Seems like a true gent. Many happy returns :)

erin go bragh
17-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Happy birthday tomorrow Sam

Ggtth

Loopz
17-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Happy birthday tomorrow Sam

Ggtth
Happy birthday Sam. Should Hibs offer Sam a present at our game on Sat? :agree:

Gerard
17-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Happy Birthday Sam

Pretty Boy
17-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Happy Birthday to Sam.

Not sure if it's still the case but he was still a regular in a couple of bookies near his home about 5 or 6 years ago. Everyone knew him in there.

monktonharp
17-02-2015, 11:15 PM
fantastic to hear about that wee guy again. happy birthday Sam:flag:

Bay Area Hibees
18-02-2015, 03:54 AM
Great stuff, happy birthday to Sam

Bostonhibby
18-02-2015, 05:54 AM
Terrific story, many happy returns Sam

lyonhibs
18-02-2015, 07:50 AM
There really should be more made of this man by the club, and by that I mean no request made by a man who's been supporting Hibs for 70+ years should be too much etc.

I imagine age means he can't get to ER much anymore, but the whole 1st team squad should be paying a humble visit to his home on his birthday, or indeed whenever the hell he wishes.

That said, I get the impression that he's a quiet, humble guy who wouldn't ask for anything like that.

Either way, an absolute Hibs legend that is a lesson in perseverance to us all.

buktapurple79
18-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Happy birthday Sam - barrie auld gadgie, met him a few times!

Billy Whizz
18-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Happy birthday Sam, enjoy your day

Oscar T Grouch
18-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Happy birthday Sam 🎂🎁🎉🎊🎈

Peevemor
18-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Now on the 'fishal Facebook page! :aok:

Deansy
18-02-2015, 10:19 AM
There really should be more made of this man by the club, and by that I mean no request made by a man who's been supporting Hibs for 70+ years should be too much etc.

I imagine age means he can't get to ER much anymore, but the whole 1st team squad should be paying a humble visit to his home on his birthday, or indeed whenever the hell he wishes.

That said, I get the impression that he's a quiet, humble guy who wouldn't ask for anything like that.

Either way, an absolute Hibs legend that is a lesson in perseverance to us all.

Totally agree, hopefully Hibs have something in mind for him !!

portycabbage
18-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Totally agree, hopefully Hibs have something in mind for him !!

We should get him on the pitch at the game so we can all sing happy birthday to him!