PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Football authorities bottle it again!

MurrayfieldHibs
16-02-2015, 04:14 PM
WTF?????

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/310528-no-action-to-be-taken-by-spfl-over-old-firm-sectarian-songs-and-banner/

Smartie
16-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Scottish football authorities in appeasement shocker.

UEFA are wrong about many things but their hard line on the unacceptable conduct of these two clubs is to be applauded. Really puts the SFA or whatever it is now to shame.

JeMeSouviens
16-02-2015, 04:25 PM
WTF?????

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/310528-no-action-to-be-taken-by-spfl-over-old-firm-sectarian-songs-and-banner/

Utterly pathetic. Soon as UEFA took an interest in the stuff the SFA/SFL/SPL had ignored forever, the Huns cleaned up their act big time.

The New Huns have taken us right back to the worst old ways of their predecessors but won't have UEFA to worry about for a long time yet. :rolleyes:

Scottish football really is run by utterly spineless idiots.

WillowbraeHibby
16-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Utterly pathetic. Soon as UEFA took an interest in the stuff the SFA/SFL/SPL had ignored forever, the Huns cleaned up their act big time.

The New Huns have taken us right back to the worst old ways of their predecessors but won't have UEFA to worry about for a long time yet. :rolleyes:

Scottish football really is run by utterly spineless idiots.

Have to agree with you there.... Sad state of affairs.

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Goodness, what a surprise. Clubs get punished by UEFA all the time for stuff outwith their control. If the ref gets skelped by a 50p piece next Saturday at ER I bet Hibs would get sanctioned for it.... even though there is sod all Hibs could do to stop it.

In that semi the 'no Pope from Rome' song could clearly be heard ...... a more bigoted song doesn't exist ... the SPFL reaction ... nowt !!!

Jack
16-02-2015, 05:56 PM
As it was the semi of a national cup at Hampden is it not the responsibility of the folk running that competition to ensure banners flares and such like don't get into the stadium?

If wasn't OF stewards on duty (although it was probably the same individuals).

The SPFL aren't going to find themselves at fault or guilty are they?

renato
16-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Simple solution here.

Any sectarian singing and / or banners or flags and it's a blanket ban of all home supporters at their next home game. Post that, if it happens at the next game then it's a 2 game ban for home supporters and so on.

Lets see how long it continues when a) the club loses income from c30k supporters per game and b) the Neanderthals don't get to see their favourites on an ever extended basis.

Elephant Stone
16-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Thank God for our robust and impartial main stream media, which will be all over this.

Weststandwanab
16-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Simple solution here.

Any sectarian singing and / or banners or flags and it's a blanket ban of all home supporters at their next home game. Post that, if it happens at the next game then it's a 2 game ban for home supporters and so on.

Lets see how long it continues when a) the club loses income from c30k supporters per game and b) the Neanderthals don't get to see their favourites on an ever extended basis.

Far too sensible it will never work.

Seveno
16-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Can anyone tell me why there was the flag of the Republic of Ireland showing in the Hibs support at Ibrox last Friday ?

Malthibby
16-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Institutional corruption, not just spineless. Those at the SFAAPL whatever are so desperate to get there precious
Rantic back that they'll ignore anything that casts them in a bad light.
Really, really, want The NewHuns to finish 5th.

Deansy
16-02-2015, 06:44 PM
'Now the league body has said both clubs took the precautions that were expected ahead of the game and could not be held liable for the events at Hampden' - what precautions exactly did either of the 'Old S*um' take (if indeed, any ?) ?

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Pathetic. Spineless ********s in charge of our game

emerald green
16-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Nothing new here. Same old, same old.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Can anyone tell me why there was the flag of the Republic of Ireland showing in the Hibs support at Ibrox last Friday ?

Surprised you've not landed any big fish with that post yet.

Juice-Terry

Try somewhere between five and ten.

hibbymac

:confused: I would guess it was there because a Hibs supporter took it with him/her.

Does it have any relevance to the OP ??

Malthibby
16-02-2015, 07:17 PM
We know why the question's being asked - bit difficult to give it the big anti-sectarian thing when we have
folk who think waving that thing is any different.

banarc7062
16-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Surely from the mouths of the "Top Brass" they have provided the acceptable response to any claim aimed at Clubs about flag waving or unacceptable singing.......The Clubs took all reasonable steps to prevent blah blah blah. Sure to get away without any punishment or they will be shown up as the one sided group of idiots if a punishment is handed down.

The Pointer
16-02-2015, 08:03 PM

This is something which makes me go radge.

A couple of times at ER I've told the erse waving it to stop it and I've had to be held back from being rather more forceful. It's the flag of a foreign state more liable to be seen at Parkhead, but waving it at Ibrox is purely to incite the knuckledraggers. Someone ought to educate the laddie.

MurrayfieldHibs
16-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Thank God for our robust and impartial main stream media, which will be all over this.

I may be wrong but I suspect that you may be extracting the urine....:wink:

CB_NO3
16-02-2015, 08:17 PM

A couple of times at ER I've told the erse waving it to stop it and I've had to be held back from being rather more forceful. It's the flag of a foreign state more liable to be seen at Parkhead, but waving it at Ibrox is purely to incite the knuckledraggers. Someone ought to educate the laddie.
Nothing wrong with waving a tri colour IMO. I am glad it winds you up.

Pretty Boy
16-02-2015, 08:20 PM

What if the guys waving it at ER are Irish? I knew a few guys who used to travel over from Dublin once a month to ER and they always had a tricolour with them. They probably wouldn't have appreciated someone 'going radge' at them. No different from the lads who have the big Polska Hibs Polish flag in the East.

I'm more than aware the flags at Ibrox are there for one reason only but there's a few Irish regulars at ER in my experience.

Pete
16-02-2015, 08:26 PM

If that's the way you behave at ER then I hope you have your season ticket taken off you.

Andy74
16-02-2015, 08:27 PM

There's nothing inherently wrong with waving a flag. An Irish flag when the name of the club means Irish is not that controversial.

It's the attitudes like yours that equate it with something different that is the problem.

blackpoolhibs
Simple solution here.

The authorities are too frightened of both clubs to make a real effort to eradicate this, we will be stuck in the last century for ever in my opinion while we continue with this way of thinking.

Elephant Stone
We know why the question's being asked - bit difficult to give it the big anti-sectarian thing when we have
folk who think waving that thing is any different.

No Pope of Rome
No chapels to sadden my eyes
No nuns and no priests
No rosary beads
Every day is the 12th of July

No one should have any objection to these words cause someone in the Hibs end on Friday had the flag of the Republic of Ireland, the country whose name we share, whose imigrants founded our club and whose national emblem is on our badge? Please tell me you are joking and I've had a woosh. Please. Please. Please.

Kato
16-02-2015, 08:37 PM

Two questions.

Do you go radge a lot?

Do you point when you go radge?

Do you point a lot?

Do you go radge, or point, when someone says they are gong to ask you two questions but goes over the limit?

OsloHibs
16-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Simple solution here.

:agree:

Peevemor
16-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Simple solution here.

Any sectarian singing and / or banners or flags and it's a blanket ban of all home supporters at their next home game.

Did they have blankets too?

B*****ds!

emerald green
16-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Someone who supports Hibernian Football Club waving the Irish Flag. Shock, horror, what's he like eh? :rolleyes:

semaj64
16-02-2015, 08:55 PM
I though that the SNP were going to snuff these bigots out.

Stax
16-02-2015, 09:10 PM

Hibernian. The clue is in the name of the club you support.

Vini1875
16-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Sectarian is to do with religion, particular sects of religions. An Irish Flag or Union Flag is to do with nationality, national flags at games are considered to be fine. Sectarian bigotry is another thing all together. Sadens me that any Hibs supporter would take offence at an Irish Flag.

Jack
16-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Two questions.

Do you go radge a lot?

Do you point when you go radge?

Do you point a lot?

Do you go radge, or point, when someone says they are gong to ask you two questions but goes over the limit?

That's 4 questions I'm going to go radge :-)

I used to wave a Nigerian flag!

Nando™
16-02-2015, 09:58 PM
The SPFL, just as *****baggish as they were before the amalgamation.

renato
16-02-2015, 10:12 PM
The authorities are too frightened of both clubs to make a real effort to eradicate this, we will be stuck in the last century for ever in my opinion while we continue with this way of thinking.

Yep. It would likely take generations to eradicate sectarianism on "the streets" in the west however it could very quickly be stamped out and banished from Scottish football if the authorities or the uglies were so inclined to take a zero tolerance approach and actually deal with the issue.

Even worse than a 90 minute OF bile-fest, when they expel their hatred on each other with their respective song books, it's the fact they feel the need to subject the rest of Scottish football to their bigoted pish that really gets on my tits. Sad people.

And perhaps just one journalist actually condemning it and continually condemning it (i.e. doing their job) might just force the authorities or the clubs to think about doing something more than simply paying lip service to the problem.

monktonharp
16-02-2015, 10:48 PM
I though that the SNP were going to snuff these bigots out.aye, the SNP. It's all their bloody fault. :rolleyes:

snooky
16-02-2015, 11:56 PM

The authorities ARE both clubs, IMO.

lord bunberry
16-02-2015, 11:57 PM
We will be having this same discussion in 10 years time. The football authorities could stop this almost overnight but they're to scared.

Not In The Know
17-02-2015, 12:12 AM

Agree totally. We are better than that.

givescotlandfreedom
17-02-2015, 04:47 AM
Closed eyes and fingers in ears. Pathetic.

givescotlandfreedom
17-02-2015, 04:48 AM

I was right by the broomloan segregation and I don't think the guys who came over to wave it at half time to annoy the huns were celebrating our heritage but that's for another thread.

Seveno
17-02-2015, 07:08 AM
I was right by the broomloan segregation and I don't think the guys who came over to wave it at half time to annoy the huns were celebrating our heritage but that's for another thread.

Thanks for your input. Celebrating our heritage is one thing but a deliberate act of provocation is another. This is particularly the case when it could lead to violence against innocent bystanders.

Jones28
17-02-2015, 07:52 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Hibernian not mean "Irishman" in Gaelic? Given that our club, like it or not, has strong Irish roots I think if people want to wave it then fine.

Waving a flag is only a problem when people like you make it a problem. As someone else has said if that's how you behave at ER I hope you get your ST taken off you.

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Hibernian not mean "Irishman" in Gaelic? Given that our club, like it or not, has strong Irish roots I think if people want to wave it then fine.

Waving a flag is only a problem when people like you make it a problem. As someone else has said if that's how you behave at ER I hope you get your ST taken off you.

It's latin.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2015, 08:15 AM

You are wrong :)

Hibernia was the Roman name for Ireland, which was based on the Latin word for winter; the Romans believed that they had found where winter came from.

southern hibby
17-02-2015, 08:30 AM
I remember getting told a story when I was a young lad that Hibs used to fly the Irish Tricolour at Easter Road before i was born, until the Hibs Board at the time banned it and removed it from the roof off our stand.

We then ( for what ever reason I do not know ) tried to get Celtic to remove their tricolour and fly only the Scottish flag. Low and behold Rangers backed up Celtic and supported them flying it as it meant they could only fly the Scottish Flag too and not the Flag of the Union ( it's only a Union Jack when flown on a British Warship ).

Now I'm not saying this is true about the Tricolours but IF it is then our own club took ours down from our main stand and tried to get only Scottish flags flown.

Maybe some of our Historians can confirm or deny this. Because if true we obviously tried to tackle sectarianism many many years ago.

GGTTH

Hermit Crab
17-02-2015, 08:57 AM
SFA fail to take action against both Glasgow clubs. Why are people surprised? :confused:

17-02-2015, 09:01 AM
SFA bottle punishing the Old Firm - wow what a shocker :rolleyes:

Once again those bigotted mobs get off scott free - God forbid wanting to upset the mighty OF eh :rolleyes:

Kato
17-02-2015, 09:58 AM
You are wrong :)

Hibernia was the Roman name for Ireland, which was based on the Latin word for winter; the Romans believed that they had found where winter came from.

Latin for winter is "Hiems". There's a whole other mythical reason for the word Hibernia.

Kato
17-02-2015, 10:01 AM
I remember getting told a story when I was a young lad that Hibs used to fly the Irish Tricolour at Easter Road before i was born, until the Hibs Board at the time banned it and removed it from the roof off our stand.

We then ( for what ever reason I do not know ) tried to get Celtic to remove their tricolour and fly only the Scottish flag. Low and behold Rangers backed up Celtic and supported them flying it as it meant they could only fly the Scottish Flag too and not the Flag of the Union ( it's only a Union Jack when flown on a British Warship ).

Now I'm not saying this is true about the Tricolours but IF it is then our own club took ours down from our main stand and tried to get only Scottish flags flown.

Maybe some of our Historians can confirm or deny this. Because if true we obviously tried to tackle sectarianism many many years ago.

GGTTH

Whoever told you that story is a tad confused or misinformed. Total nonsense. Why or how could Hibs try and stop Celtic doing anything?

I don't understand why a National flag is deemed sectarian.

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Latin for winter is "Hiems". There's a whole other mythical reason for the word Hibernia.

Damn, you're right.

Hibernus is "wintry", though, intit?

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Damn, you're right.

Hibernus is "wintry", though, intit?

Nah, that's "balticus". :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Sometime skim through the sports news on the red button and there was a story that Barcelona may be about to be fined by La Liga because their fans sang an offensive song about Ronaldo. Compare and contrast with the spineless nonsense by our Authorities. I am afraid this notion that clubs take no responsibility for the behaviour of their fans is a joke. The only time that Rangers and Celtic took any notice of this was when UEFA started getting involved and threatening action. Quelle surprise the clubs started doing something about it, Murray was meeting fans, commenting on the FTP elements within their support and the songs basically ended overnight. Why is this still happening at sporting events in 2015?

Deansy
17-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Sometime skim through the sports news on the red button and there was a story that Barcelona may be about to be fined by La Liga because their fans sang an offensive song about Ronaldo. Compare and contrast with the spineless nonsense by our Authorities. I am afraid this notion that clubs take no responsibility for the behaviour of their fans is a joke. The only time that Rangers and Celtic took any notice of this was when UEFA started getting involved and threatening action. Quelle surprise the clubs started doing something about it, Murray was meeting fans, commenting on the FTP elements within their support and the songs basically ended overnight. Why is this still happening at sporting events in 2015?

Totally agree - 'IF' (yeah, right !!) both of them had taken 'all precautions necessary' as the GFA say, then WHY did the singing still go on ?. It's time for them to be fined on an escalating-scale if it continues - and that would have the biggest effect on the biggest-culprits as they're skint !!

And why isn't 'Holyrood' asking the GFA why this kind of behaviour is still going on and what plans are there to deal with it ?. These new-laws were brought in mainly because of one too many 'Bigot-fest's being screened world-wide and embarrassing the country !!

CockneyRebel
17-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Sectarian is to do with religion, particular sects of religions. An Irish Flag or Union Flag is to do with nationality, national flags at games are considered to be fine. Sectarian bigotry is another thing all together. Sadens me that any Hibs supporter would take offence at an Irish Flag.

The Irish flags at ER are not displayed by Irishmen so can't be counted as a national flag, that is a very poor argument. They are displayed purely to aggravate, annoy and stir things up and for no other reason. I support hibs not Ireland and certainly not the Tim Malloys. These flag wavers are IMO no better and no different from the bluenoses singing their bigoted songs and they give fuel to the arguments that bigotry and sectarianism still lurk within our ranks. Surely we are above joining in with this crap, why can we not just support a football club and let others make ***** of themselves.

snooky
17-02-2015, 11:06 AM
The Irish flags at ER are not displayed by Irishmen so can't be counted as a national flag, that is a very poor argument. They are displayed purely to aggravate, annoy and stir things up and for no other reason. I support hibs not Ireland and certainly not the Tim Malloys. These flag wavers are IMO no better and no different from the bluenoses singing their bigoted songs and they give fuel to the arguments that bigotry and sectarianism still lurk within our ranks. Surely we are above joining in with this crap, why can we not just support a football club and let others make ***** of themselves.
My view on the flag scenario too.

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Thanks for your input. Celebrating our heritage is one thing but a deliberate act of provocation is another. This is particularly the case when it could lead to violence against innocent bystanders.

Totally this .... There is a bottomless well of ways to take the micky out of the Zombies without waving tricolours at them. The 'its our heritage' argument is a load of Ertha Kitt .... its purely being done to provoke a sectarian reaction from them and that being the case we lose any right to claim the moral high ground.

southern hibby
17-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Whoever told you that story is a tad confused or misinformed. Total nonsense. Why or how could Hibs try and stop Celtic doing anything?

I don't understand why a National flag is deemed sectarian.

Mate, I'm not saying it's correct, however do you know it's total nonsense? Or are you just giving your opinion without basing anything on fact. As I said maybe some of our Historians can confirm or deny it.

GGTTH

JimBHibees
17-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Totally this .... There is a bottomless well of ways to take the micky out of the Zombies without waving tricolours at them. The 'its our heritage' argument is a load of Ertha Kitt .... its purely being done to provoke a sectarian reaction from them and that being the case we lose any right to claim the moral high ground.

Agree totally with that. The good thing about Hibs is the lack of any of this sort of nonsense.

Kato
17-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Mate, I'm not saying it's correct, however do you know it's total nonsense? Or are you just giving your opinion without basing anything on fact. As I said maybe some of our Historians can confirm or deny it.
GGTTH

Not my opinion, it's total nonsense.

There was a "stooshy" surrounding this not too long ago when the Celtic View printed their version of events claiming Harry Swan had conducted a campaign to force Celtic to stop flying the irish tricolour.

The real story was as follows.

-- During a New Years Day game at Parkhead which Rangers won 1-4 Celtic fans invaded the park. Several people got injured and a linesman was attacked with a bottle.

-- In the following weeks Glasgow Magistrates met and it was decided by them that both Rangers and Celtic should stop flying "inflammatory flags" on match days only. (Note right there: that was when it was decided.)

-- This decision was then put before the SFA Referees Committee who, on voting on the Magistrates decision ratified it and passed onto the SFA Commitee. Bob Kelly was Chairman of the Refs Committee at the time and abstained.

-- George Graham, SFA President was absent on the day the decision was to be rubber stamped and Harry Swan was acting President then put the Magistrates decision through which he was bound to do given the vote the Refs Committee.

It's only then that the press were all over this story making it appear that Celtic were the victims (unusual that, eh) of Harry Swan's decision, when it wasn't Swan's decision in the first place or his to make.

see here

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?79707-The-Eire-flag-incident

Slov Sam from that board and who used to post on this one in the past had his letter printed in the Celtic View and they also printed a retraction of the defamation of Harry Swan.

As far as Im aware Hibs didn't fly a tricolour during Swan's time, so there wasn't one to take down.

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 12:10 PM
My father's grandparents immigrated to Edinburgh from Ireland and were exactly the kind of people for whom HFC was formed. They even became involved with the club. This is the reason why I'm a Hibs supporter - it runs in the family. I don't really care about my diluted Irishness. It's neither a source of pride nor of shame - it's just there (although I often find myself explaining to people that, although I'm Scottish, my family name is very Irish).

Now I've never taken a tricolour to a match, in fact I don't even think that I've ever handled one. However, if one day I decided to take one to Ibrox as a GIRUY to the thousands there who hate me for what I am (even though they don't know me) then I think I'd be within my rights and object to the idea of having to justify myself to anyone.

Kato
17-02-2015, 12:27 PM
My father's grandparents immigrated to Edinburgh from Ireland and were exactly the kind of people for whom HFC was formed. They even became involved with the club. This is the reason why I'm a Hibs supporter - it runs in the family. I don't really care about my diluted Irishness. It's neither a source of pride nor of shame - it's just there (although I often find myself explaining to people that, although I'm Scottish, my family name is very Irish).

Now I've never taken a tricolour to a match, in fact I don't even think that I've ever handled one. However, if one day I decided to take one to Ibrox as a GIRUY to the thousands there who hate me for what I am (even though they don't know me) then I think I'd be within my rights and object to the idea of having to justify myself to anyone.

:agree: Exact same background, exact same experience, exact same outlook.

CockneyRebel
17-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Totally agree

WeeRussell
17-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Agree totally with that. The good thing about Hibs is the lack of any of this sort of nonsense.

Agree entirely. Can't believe so many were quick to ridicule the first poster who took issue with tri-colours in the Hibs crowd (okay the "going radge" bit was maybe a bit over the top) by coming out with the "Hibernia" and "heritage" stuff.

It doesn't offend me - I am a little proud of the fact that our Tri-colour ratio is less than that of our dirty neighbours and their union flags, however. It means they are yet another step closer to the Ugly Sisters than we will ever be.

Flower of Scotland and Saltires I like - reminds them both that the rest of us, by enlarge, are not interested in their pish.

However - we're Hibs. Green and white is all that is needed.

:flag:

CentreLine
17-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Well strictly speaking Hibernia was part of current south west Scotland, some of the Inner Hebrides and part of present day Ulster and people from that area were once upon a time Hibernian. The Hibernians however, as an organisation in the era of The Irish Land League etc., were firmly Irish in origin and so the name became associated, wrongly, with only Irish people. It would make sense that it was that connection that was used by the creators of our club in naming our club. The Tricolor was not the Irish flag when our club was created by Irish immigrants in the grass market. It is more than a little naive of anyone to wave it as some kind of identity thing as far as our club is concerned and that probably explains why there are so few people do it.
Despite now having been adopted as the National flag of Ireland it is unfortunately firmly associated with the fight for freedom from 1916 onwards in Ireland and specifically with the IRA, neither of which have a connection to our club.
There is every justification in waving the Irish flag as an Irish person showing pride in their origins and identity It is IMHO wrong to wave that same flag to wind people up in a sectarian way. Sadly it is hard to disassociate it from that use in a Scottish football ground, as with the union flag and an increasing number of other national flags such as the flag of Israel or Palastine. There is a time and a place for everything. Personally I hate seeing the Tricolor or any other national flag used in this way and ask myself when some lunatic will decide it will wind people up to wave the flag associated with ISIS.
I just think we need less hate in our game not more and if any of these flags create an atmosphere of hate then what's the point

AndyM_1875
17-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Back to the original topic.
Yes indeed the football authorities are scared stiff by the Old Firm (no apologies for calling it that).
There is no danger they would do anything about their brain dead sectarian chanting and terrorist crap. Their knuckle-dragging behavior is a two way street, 'No pope of Rome' and 'GSTQ' is evened up by IRA garbage and Celtic nutters screaming about 'Orange *******s'.
The pair of them make me vomit.

But do we really think that anything would be done with Peter Lawell now one of the leading figures in the SFA and the SFA, SPFL and Celtic plc board (a £10m hole to fill remember) all quietly desperate to see their Govan horrors back up to the top flight?

Or am I just an over cynical Hibby?

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Well strictly speaking Hibernia was part of current south west Scotland, some of the Inner Hebrides and part of present day Ulster and people from that area were once upon a time Hibernian....

Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with post-Roman kingdoms. :confused:

Hibernia was the Roman name for the Island that is Ireland.

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Bang on Peevemor. Nobody has the right to tell anybody what to do, and certainly not to ask them to justify themselves. I doubt however that if members of the Hibs support decided to buy into that train of thought and actually do it, that we will ever move forward.

silverhibee
17-02-2015, 01:34 PM

:faf:

Keith_M
17-02-2015, 01:35 PM
The Romans called Ireland 'Sleepy Land' (Hibernia)

The word Hibernate comes from the same root word.

silverhibee
17-02-2015, 01:53 PM

:agree:

But will come down heavy on any Hibs Aberdeen or Dundee if there club step out of line.

I would like to know what both clubs done to stop the nonsense that went on that day, did they send letters emails to all fans that got a ticket telling them how to behave on the day, as you say G, "the authorities are feared of both clubs". and it will just keep happening, wait until the new club come to ER with there party songs, it will be live on TV and broadcast to millions and the tv viewers will all be asking how Bobby Sands died, but the SFA/SPFL will haven't have heard a thing. A bunch of bags who are feared to take on the two teams from Glasgow.

silverhibee
17-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Someone who supports Hibernian Football Club waving the Irish Flag. Shock, horror, what's he like eh? :rolleyes:

Bet you the flag waver likes a good booing at the players too. :wink:

CentreLine
17-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with post-Roman kingdoms. :confused:

Hibernia was the Roman name for the Island that is Ireland.

No not getting mixed up honest. Hibernia was the Roman name for part of Ulster, part of south west Scotland and some of the islands. It is the first time we see maps and written references to these places which is why I, probably wrongly, used the word "original". Hibernia was not all of Ireland or all Irish in that first mention by the Romans and to the best of my knowledge is the only source of the term. Of course it has become associated only with Ireland but that is strictly incorrect. I think you'll find good references in Michael Lynch's "Scotland a New History" and of course the Roman Map of Scotland widely available. Unfortunately I have loaned mine out to someone so I can't do better than that.

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 02:13 PM
No not getting mixed up honest. Hibernia was the Roman name for part of Ulster, part of south west Scotland and some of the islands. It is the first time we see maps and written references to these places which is why I, probably wrongly, used the word "original". Hibernia was not all of Ireland or all Irish in that first mention by the Romans and to the best of my knowledge is the only source of the term. Of course it has become associated only with Ireland but that is strictly incorrect. I think you'll find good references in Michael Lynch's "Scotland a New History" and of course the Roman Map of Scotland widely available. Unfortunately I have loaned mine out to someone so I can't do better than that.

OK - I'll look into that - I'll be happy to stand corrected. :aok:

Kavinho
17-02-2015, 03:52 PM
"Land of Eternal Winter" is what I was taught in Ireland growing up

Read this... if the link works
"Scotland" can be taken to mean "Land of the Irish"

http://history-ireland.blogspot.com.es/2012/12/imperator-scottorum-ireland-land-of.html?m=1

Anyway, not a fan of national flag waving, unless you are attending a game being played by national teams.

Wave a club flag.

And yes, the authorities have let another opportunity to address a blight in the game by in effect condoning sectarianism shouting at Celtc v The Rangers games.

Could have been a new era established after a few years of a break from these teams meeting.

The next game between them will be worse I reckon (in the context of hatred and chanting)

Jack Hackett
21-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Another opportunity to come down hard on the huns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31565781

....but don't hold your breath

Deansy
21-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Another opportunity to come down hard on the huns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31565781

....but don't hold your breath

How many games is that now, that Rangers have been 'investigated' successively ? - 3-4 on the trot ??. Apart from that surely being an SPL-Record, I honesty think it's nothing more than 'seen to be doing the right thing from the GFA' !. They've been guilt on every occasion yet have been cleared on every occasion - there's no will, intent or courage to do anything about them !!. Until they start being fined, the Hun will continue !!

Biggie
21-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Mccoist will be happy...he's got a name !......Tom Purdie better get his windows re-enforced !?!

JimBHibees
22-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Heard discussion on sportsound about this yesterday and Tom English was excellent on the subject being very critical of the footballing authorities in abdicating their responsibility. Couldnt have agreed more he also said though that the clubs had to accept some or most of the blame as they had all signed up to this 'clubs doing enough' cop out if their fans were to cause trouble.

Jim44
22-02-2015, 03:59 PM
We will be having this same discussion in 10 years time. The football authorities could stop this almost overnight but they're to scared.

I've repeated this 'fear' of the Old Firm time and time again. The bottom line is they are terrified of offending them. The SFA's top priority is to have a strong Old Firm. Both cubs, although they would deny it, are based on religious hatred, and their underlying message to the SFA is 'if you want us, take us as we are.' Both clubs will offer platitudes about the issue but deep down they thrive on it and couldn't exist without it.

Deansy
22-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Mccoist will be happy...he's got a name !......Tom Purdie better get his windows re-enforced !?!

Noticed that, the 'Media' everywhere highlighting his name - must've got orders direct from 'Greyskull'!!