Sorry not sure how to do a hyperlink on my phone

Cod Boy
15-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Inflated prices plastic glasses no thanks

Hibbyradge
15-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

However, I've been at English grounds when the bar areas have been rammed so there must be a demand for it.

southsider
15-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Bucky on draught in CGS and Darkheid ?

greenlex
15-02-2015, 12:22 PM

You don't have to buy it and drink it you know.

Ross4356
15-02-2015, 12:25 PM
How much do u think we could make from it?

Hibbyradge
15-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Over a long enough period of time, we'd probably make hundreds of millions. :agree:

FACT.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 12:40 PM
As long as they sell Strongbow for Hutchy

Mikey
15-02-2015, 12:41 PM

We should give it away as a thank you to the fans.

MSK
15-02-2015, 12:45 PM
How much do u think we could make from it?Peanuts ..

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Pie & Pint deal

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-02-2015, 01:06 PM
As long as they sell Strongbow for Hutchy

I like your thinking. :-)

MSK
15-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Pint & a nip for season ticket holders ...

Glory Lurker
15-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Against, but then again I don't think they should have the half time smoking thing in the East, either :cb

Hermit Crab
15-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Think this could be a bad idea. I suspect alcohol would not be for sale when it's a cat A game.

bod
15-02-2015, 01:17 PM

how much dearer are the prices down south compared to the prices in the pubs around the grounds ?
if the price was 20p -50p more would it stop fans buying them knowing that the profit would be going to the club.
it would affect the pubs round the ground 30 mins to KO cause punters would have the "1 more before KO" inside the ground

Dashing Bob S
15-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Anything that keeps the Jakey element who can't go without alcohol for two hours happy is probably a highly desirable social development.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Think this could be a bad idea. I suspect alcohol would not be for sale when it's a cat A game.

Can't see it will make much difference to the drink fuelled erseholes that already blight the game.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Anything that keeps the Jakey element who can't go without alcohol for two hours happy is probably a highly desirable social development.

Aye it's working with the smokers so why not.

Ringothedog
15-02-2015, 01:22 PM

Why ? and why ? Alcohol is sold at the stadium already and in dozens of pubs nearby ,the stadium only opens an hour before kick off. How much bevvy can be consumed in an hour, if it is stewarded correctly it should be no problem whatsoever.

Hibbyradge
15-02-2015, 01:28 PM
how much dearer are the prices down south compared to the prices in the pubs around the grounds ?
if the price was 20p -50p more would it stop fans buying them knowing that the profit would be going to the club.
it would affect the pubs round the ground 30 mins to KO cause punters would have the "1 more before KO" inside the ground

I imagine that prices will be significantly higher than that. Think concert prices and certainly in excess of £4 a pint.

Also, I think that the alcohol contract will be put out to tender, just like the catering is. The higher prices, therefore, will not benefit Hibs.

iwasthere1972
15-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Should only be sold to fans who don't have weak bladders and certainly not to the over 65's. I already make way half the match for folk going a pie. a pee or just leaving early.

Just how much drink do people need to watch football.

I'm out.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Should only be sold to fans who don't have weak bladders and certainly not to the over 65's. I already make way half the match for folk going a pie. a pee or just leaving early.

I'm out.

Not as much this season as last :-)

Sir David Gray
15-02-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm out.

Over the last three or four years, drinking alcohol should have been compulsory whilst watching Hibs.

tartanhibee
15-02-2015, 01:42 PM
I would rather have standing back than alcohol.

iwasthere1972
15-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Over the last three or four years, drinking alcohol should have been compulsory whilst watching Hibs.

I believe it was but just for the managers and their assistants. Especially the last couple of drunks we had.

bod
15-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I imagine that prices will be significantly higher than that. Think concert prices and certainly in excess of £4 a pint.

Also, I think that the alcohol contract will be put out to tender, just like the catering is. The higher prices, therefore, will not benefit Hibs.

how much is a pint in the pubs around the ground ?
if its out to tender then its more £ to the club , they wont give the tender away for nout

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Hope this goes nowhere unless they also bring back standing areas. Effin pain already doing musical chairs with folk needing in and out for pies and coffee. Pints and the the inevitable Lillian twenty minutes later will be a nightmare.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Hope this goes nowhere unless they also bring back standing areas. Effin pain already doing musical chairs with folk needing in and out for pies and coffee. Pints and the the inevitable Lillian twenty minutes later will be a nightmare.

Can't see it will change those that drink and need a pish already do so anyway.

Lago
15-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Standing or sitting in a freezing cold stadium, drinking beer can't see that is something to look forward to.

lord bunberry
15-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Standing or sitting in a freezing cold stadium, drinking beer can't see that is something to look forward to.
What about the start of the season when it's warm?

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 03:22 PM
What about the start of the season when it's warm?

Warm! Pretty sure it will be chilled ;-)

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 03:24 PM

It's more expensive in the grounds but that's par for the course at sporting events.

I go to a lot of horse racing and boxing and £4 a lager and £4.50 a Guinness or bottle of Magners is standard. I'd imagine it will be similar at football.

Tbh I don't see it as a bad idea. If people want to go to a football match drunk then it's very easy to do at the moment. Whether that's through drinking cheap booze from a supermarket, at a local pub or in the ground before going out and back in another entrance. A couple of overpriced beers at £4ish a pop isn't going to see a huge rise in bother imo. With the new drink driving laws I'm not even sure how popular it will be but it's worth a try.

15-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Really not bothered about having drink at the games. Got one when I went to games down south but purely for novelty value.

lord bunberry
15-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Warm! Pretty sure it will be chilled ;-)
Depends what your drinking:greengrin

Gavin1875
15-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Down south do you just go up and hand over money for a drink or is it like the concerts up here where you have to queue for tokens then queue again for a drink

SteveHFC
15-02-2015, 03:34 PM
As long as they sell budweiser then it's a yes from me. :hyper

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Down south do you just go up and hand over money for a drink or is it like the concerts up here where you have to queue for tokens then queue again for a drink

You can pay cash.

lucky
15-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Today at Murrayfield fans are sitting in their seats enjoying a drink so it's only reasonable that football fans can a beer at a game.

Thecat23
15-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Today at Murrayfield fans are sitting in their seats enjoying a drink so it's only reasonable that football fans can a beer at a game.

In rugby they also sit together. Sadly to many roaster at the games already so fire in allowing them to drink during the game is a huge no thanks from me! Nothing worse than a pissed up fan stumbling and screaming!

Hibbyradge
15-02-2015, 04:04 PM
how much is a pint in the pubs around the ground ?

I'm not sure. About £3, I guess. Less in the Hibs club. :dunno:

if its out to tender then its more £ to the club , they wont give the tender away for nout

Indeed.

Hibs will make whatever they charge for the tender. The price the providers charged will have no effect on how much Hibs get, which was your original point when you suggested that folk would be happy to pay more because they would know it was going to the club. It wouldn't be.

If they suddenly started selling pies for 50p, (and that would still be at a profit!) Hibs wouldn't lose any cash. If they put them up to £3, Hibs wouldn't gain.

If folk want to have a pint during the match, then the facility should be provided.

Personally, I'm not interested in buying crappy beer, served in plastic glasses, at inflated prices. I accept that some people will be.

kaimendhibs
15-02-2015, 04:05 PM
No thanks for me

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Some right moaning minnies on this thread. We absolutely should be allowed a pint at the game. It's been happening for years down south with next to no bother. If folk want to get drunk, they will do so before the game anyway. Buying one pint before the game(could do the same in the pub) and one pint at half time isn't going to get anyone drunk.
It won't be sold at cat A games and it won't be allowed anywhere near anyone's seats.
It's allowed at football in pretty much every other western country and its allowed at pretty much every sport in Scotland except football. It's like people enjoy us being treated like second class citizens.

3pm
15-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Match day experience is murder. Selling a couple of beers won't make much difference either.

Personally, I can't see many people getting reekin on the back of this. If they do, they'll never be in their seat anyway.

BroxburnHibee
15-02-2015, 05:26 PM
http://youtu.be/wiu_IX14wLI

ancient hibee
15-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Heard Alex Neill wittering on about how selling alcohol in the past at football matches caused trouble.How many times have these people have to be told that we have never had booze sold during matches.The fans used to carry it in.

emerald green
15-02-2015, 05:35 PM

I've no really strong feelings as regards this issue, but the folk you see on TV at Murrayfield are an entirely different kettle of fish from some of the morons Hibs fans were confronted with at Ibokes the other night. You don't see these people at Murrayfield spitting on other spectators for example.

When we can get a drink practically 24 hours a day now in Scotland, can we not just give it a rest for 90 minutes and watch the match?

Billy Whizz
15-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I've no really strong feelings as regards this issue, but the folk you see on TV at Murrayfield are an entirely different kettle of fish from some of the morons Hibs fans were confronted with at Ibokes the other night. You don't see these people at Murrayfield spitting on other spectators for example.

When we can get a drink practically 24 hours a day now in Scotland, can we not just give it a rest for 90 minutes and watch the match?

I agree 100% with your last paragraph, but unfortunately it's all about money

bingo70
15-02-2015, 05:40 PM

We can and we do. This is bot a case of needing a drink but it's potentially extra revenue for clubs.

Fwiw I'll probably no bother drinking in the ground, I already have to go to the toilet too much, Chuck in an extra pint or two and I wouldnae see any of the game!

emerald green
15-02-2015, 05:40 PM
I agree 100% with your last paragraph, but unfortunately it's all about money

:agree: I agree entirely. Sad really.

Jones28
15-02-2015, 05:42 PM
What's the big deal? People who want to get Pished at a football game aren't going to be able to do it at half time.

ancient hibee
15-02-2015, 05:43 PM
In the unlikely event that it is allowed it'll be heavily controlled.For instance bars will only be open at set down periods and certainly not while play is taking place(but possibly at half time).

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 05:49 PM
In the unlikely event that it is allowed it'll be heavily controlled.For instance bars will only be open at set down periods and certainly not while play is taking place(but possibly at half time).

In England it's for an hour before the game and 10 minutes at half time. Nobody is allowed beer to their seat and nobody gets drunk in that time

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 05:52 PM
I think the real risk this poses is being totally over estimated.

Glory Lurker
15-02-2015, 05:55 PM
I think the real risk this poses is being totally over estimated.

I think you are probably right, in terms of what difference one or two beers will do to individuals at a game. What I personally feel the bigger issue is, is that we do seem to have a problem with drink in this country and, albeit a small one, allowing bevvy sales in grounds is a further concession to an unhealthy culture. And I say that as someone who loves a bevvy!

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Nobody is saying that we can't go 90 minutes without a drink. My main grievance is that we are ALL treated like irresponsible idiots because of a minority. I wouldn't even bother at the majority of games. The fact is, if I want to have a half time beer with my mates one week at, lets say, Hibs v Cowdenbeath then I bloody well should be allowed to.
Lets ban it from gigs and concerts as well as surely folk can listen to music for two hours without needing a pint? Or the theatre maybe? Sure thespians can sit and watch a musical without a drink.

The fact is, we are about the only sporting fans worldwide that aren't given the choice. That's fundamentally wrong IMO.

leggeto
15-02-2015, 05:57 PM
It costs over £4 for a brutal hotdog,imagine how much a pint will be

Sergey
15-02-2015, 05:58 PM
In England it's for an hour before the game and 10 minutes at half time. Nobody is allowed beer to their seat and nobody gets drunk in that time

In the Ryman League you can take your drink pitch-side, as long as it's in a plastic tumbler. I don't think I've paid more than £3 for a pint and wine is normally circa £10 a bottle.

There's never any trouble between fans, so folks really can't blame the booze. It's the odd idiot who can't handle it that are the problem.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 05:59 PM
I think you are probably right, in terms of what difference one or two beers will do to individuals at a game. What I personally feel the bigger issue is, is that we do seem to have a problem with drink in this country and, albeit a small one, allowing bevvy sales in grounds is a further concession to an unhealthy culture. And I say that as someone who loves a bevvy!

I agree that we have a problem with alcohol in Scotland. We have a bigger problem with obesity though so we probably shouldn't sell pies and chips at half time?

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Probably for another thread but do you think the change in licensing laws have made much difference to the drinking culture in Scotland as was a big aim of the laws.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2015, 06:01 PM
I agree that we have a problem with alcohol in Scotland. We have a bigger problem with obesity though so we probably shouldn't sell pies and chips at half time?

What a sensible post, would be a helluva lot quicker to sell salad rolls as well

ancient hibee
15-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Probably for another thread but do you think the change in licensing laws have made much difference to the drinking culture in Scotland as was a big aim of the laws.

Don't think there has been any significant change in the licensing laws.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2015, 06:03 PM

There has been on min pricing and multibuys though

Glory Lurker
15-02-2015, 06:03 PM

Maybe!

i think the point is that we are talking about introducing something that isn't there at the moment. Maybe once this one' settled down, we can ban the pies! :greengrin

Glory Lurker
15-02-2015, 06:06 PM

I'm not sure that it has. I think we'll need a sensible minimum pricing regime to make a big difference. Although, all that said, there was some positive data during the week there, so possibly the licensing changes are beginning to have an effect?

As you say, another's thread...

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 06:06 PM

There was a big change in what times alcohol could be sold as off sales a few years back.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 06:11 PM

Massive changes were made few years back resulting in Personal Licence Holders, Stricter training for serving and selling staff,no irresponsible alcohol promotions (happy hours) etc etc

emerald green
15-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Nobody is saying that we can't go 90 minutes without a drink. My main grievance is that we are ALL treated like irresponsible idiots because of a minority. I wouldn't even bother at the majority of games. The fact is, if I want to have a half time beer with my mates one week at, lets say, Hibs v Cowdenbeath then I bloody well should be allowed to.
Lets ban it from gigs and concerts as well as surely folk can listen to music for two hours without needing a pint? Or the theatre maybe? Sure thespians can sit and watch a musical without a drink.

The fact is, we are about the only sporting fans worldwide that aren't given the choice. That's fundamentally wrong IMO.

As I said in my earlier post I've no really strong feelings as regards this issue, but if you feel so strongly about it that's fine.

A lot of away supporters, especially, at "big" games (Category A) are already well tanked up before they even get to the ground. It may be a minority that causes trouble at football matches, but it can be a substantial minority at certain fixtures.

I'm not too sure comparing going to concerts or the theatre with the tribalism that exists at football matches is really comparing like with like.

hibbytam
15-02-2015, 06:40 PM
As I said in my earlier post I've no really strong feelings as regards this issue, but if you feel so strongly about it that's fine.

A lot of away supporters, especially, at "big" games (Category A) are already well tanked up before they even get to the ground. It may be a minority that causes trouble at football matches, but it can be a substantial minority at certain fixtures.

I'm not too sure comparing going to concerts or the theatre with the tribalism that exists at football matches is really comparing like with like.

I doubt any catagory A game would get a licence.

emerald green
15-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Fair point. You may be right.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Anyone here ever go into a pub and think it is major issue if there is no football to watch?

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Anyone here ever go into a pub and think it is major issue if there is no football to watch?

What if you went to the pub to watch the football and the barman refused you service but allowed the other groups watching the rugby and horse racing a pint?

Alfred E Newman
15-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree that there should be no difference between Rugby and Football supporters re alcohol but I also don't see the need to sell drink during the game. It's bad enough at the moment with the constant movement back and forward to the Pie stalls and anyway, at £2.20 for a weak cup of tea one can only imagine the cost of a beer.

ionahibby
15-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm all for it to be honest, folk who want to get tanked up do it in the pubs before the game anyway so won't affect anything there. Anybody with a weak bladder having to go for a slash every 5 mins might upset the prawn sandwich brigade but if it gets them more animated then it sounds good to me!

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Will they sell prawn sandwiches too, so I can get upset at people going for a pish every five minutes.

TrinityHibs
15-02-2015, 07:17 PM
I agree that there should be no difference between Rugby and Football supporters re alcohol but I also don't see the need to sell drink during the game. It's bad enough at the moment with the constant movement back and forward to the Pie stalls and anyway, at £2.20 for a weak cup of tea one can only imagine the cost of a beer.

Was at the rugby today. £4.50 for a pint of Caley which Was excellent. Same for lager and Magners I think. £4.50 for a tin of Gordon's G&T. Bottle (plastic) of wine £15. No bother at all and the Welsh boys do not fit the typical .Net rugby stereotype.

Black Kyle
15-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Some degree of political motivation in this by Celtic Jim from SLab. Seems to work in England where you can a beer in the concourse 2 hours before ko. However the Scottish dynamic need to be considered. Alcohol shouldn't be available during the match. Imagine the queues at HT. So overall, no thanks.

Agree strongly with previous posters about food - defo a need for healthier options than the crud currently on the menu.

Skol
15-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I am not sure I see the need for re-introducing alcohol sales at matches. I presume it will be like england so cannot be taken to seats, so other than quickly necking a pint on arrrival or at half time you are not enjoying a pint while watching the game. You wouldnt arrice early to stand in the area under the east when you can go to behind the goals - surely...

If you need to drink then you can have a beer before and after and go for the c2 hrs at the game without.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Will they sell prawn sandwiches too, so I can get upset at people going for a pish every five minutes.

What accompanies a pint at Anfield, Scouse?

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 07:28 PM
I am not sure I see the need for re-introducing alcohol sales at matches. I presume it will be like england so cannot be taken to seats, so other than quickly necking a pint on arrrival or at half time you are not enjoying a pint while watching the game. You wouldnt arrice early to stand in the area under the east when you can go to behind the goals - surely...

If you need to drink then you can have a beer before and after and go for the c2 hrs at the game without.

As long as it's not that pish in your username they're selling ;-)

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 07:29 PM
What accompanies a pint at Anfield, Scouse?
Another one if I'm drinking it. Hot dogs, Pasta, Various Pies etc

Billy Whizz
15-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Another one if I'm drinking it.

And if you're paying for it😄

H18 SFR
15-02-2015, 07:39 PM
It was £5 for a beer at Sunderland when I was there last season

jdships
15-02-2015, 07:40 PM

:agree:

Speedy
15-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Absolutely this.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 07:50 PM

There is no NEED. Nobody is claiming there is.

That's not the point.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 07:52 PM

I agree mate. Just playing devils advocate and in no way comparing the theatre with the football. Just annoys me that football fans worldwide are trusted and we are not. There would be no alcohol at Cat A games, absolutely not. Buying a pint at Hibs v Alloa is not going to cause any trouble at all though.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Spot on mate.

Carheenlea
15-02-2015, 07:57 PM
It's all about providing supporters with more choices and improving the match day experience. Not everyone will be wanting to have a pint in the ground before or at half time, but a thousand or so might. There will be more people not buying food than those who do, but the opportunity to purchase food and soft drinks are there for those who so desire. I can't see how fans having a couple of pints in the small time window it would be available can impact on behaviour.

mca
15-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Was a few Years ago now, But I got Arrested and Carted off to Motherwell Cells for Having a wee sip o ma Hip-Flask... :agree:

Kept me in a cell ( with 2 well Tanked up Hibbys - Guid laugh ) and kicked me out about 7pm with No Charges and No Hip-Flask...

hibee
15-02-2015, 08:39 PM
It says in the story that the government and the police are both against this so can't see it happening any time soon. I just don't think it's necessary and don't see what all the fuss is about.

Brightside
15-02-2015, 08:45 PM
No need to have it at the game. The only have it at Rugby coz its so ****** dull that you'd need to be half gassed to sit through it.

Itsnoteasy
15-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Against, but then again I don't think they should have the half time smoking thing in the East, either :cb

Spot on. If you cannae go without for 90mins you've got a problem

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 08:53 PM

I can easily go 90 minutes without a beer. In fact I often go days, weeks or in the past even months without a beer.

It doesn't mean I don't like one or two though and I don't see why I should be denied an option hundreds of thousand of other sports fans have on a weekly basis. If I want a beer or a smoke (highly unlikely) at the football and it's not harming anyone else then I fail to see why it should be judged as a 'problem'.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 08:53 PM

What about taking a zero tolerance approach and banning any drink before the game?

It's predominantly an afternoon game, if you can't wait until after the game then you have a problem.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 09:15 PM
I can easily go 90 minutes without a beer. In fact I often go days, weeks or in the past even months without a beer.

It doesn't mean I don't like one or two though and I don't see why I should be denied an option hundreds of thousand of other sports fans have on a weekly basis. If I want a beer or a smoke (highly unlikely) at the football and it's not harming anyone else then I fail to see why it should be judged as a 'problem'.

Absolutely spot on. It's a farce. I was over in Hamburg for a stag do last year and we all went to a St Pauli game. Bars everywhere outside the ground, beer and rum stalls inside the ground, guys coming to our seats selling pints and not the slightest hint of any trouble at any point. The Germans have got the match day experience spot on. Maybe it's time we stopped being so stubborn and caught up with them.

Peevemor
15-02-2015, 09:16 PM
What about taking a zero tolerance approach and banning any drink before the game?

It's predominantly an afternoon game, if you can't wait until after the game then you have a problem.

What a ridiculous post! Meeting up with mates for a pre-match pint is a major part of "going to the fitba' " for a huge number of supporters. For the vast majority, the social aspect is far more important than any craving for alcohol.

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2015, 09:40 PM

Out of interest how old are you? Meeting friends for a beer before going to the match is part of the social occasion and has been for me for over 30 years. Nothing to do with me having a problem doing without drink. Either you're on the wind up, a recovering alcoholic or just being plain ridiculous.

ScottB
15-02-2015, 10:01 PM
The behaviour of elements of the Rangers support on Friday shows why this is a stupid idea. Imagine an Old Firm match were half the crowd is drunk and getting drunker as the game goes on.

If you did it, I think it could only be during matches that aren't likely to be tempestuous (no derbies for a start) to avoid trouble.

Really it smacks of a vote grab from Murphy, and is as ill considered as that suggests.

Pretty Boy
15-02-2015, 10:11 PM
The behaviour of elements of the Rangers support on Friday shows why this is a stupid idea. Imagine an Old Firm match were half the crowd is drunk and getting drunker as the game goes on.

If you did it, I think it could only be during matches that aren't likely to be tempestuous (no derbies for a start) to avoid trouble.

Really it smacks of a vote grab from Murphy, and is as ill considered as that suggests.

Half the crowd at an OF game is probably already drunk because every pub and club in the locality of the grounds is heaving pre game.

Same with the Edinburgh Derby. Between them the Roseburn and the Murrayfield probably have 4-500 people drinking heavily 5 minutes walk from the ground. That's not taking into account the pubs frequented by Hearts fans, pubs elsewhere and those drinking with mates at home pre game.

If the law was applied same as in England beer wouldn't be available as the game was ongoing and none would be allowed to be taken to seating areas. It would probably make little difference to how drunk people got at these games. Of course drinking wouldn't be permitted at either of the games I mentioned anyway.

lord bunberry
15-02-2015, 10:45 PM

If rangers fans can't behave then they shouldn't sell it at rangers games. Are you telling me that hibs fans are worse behaved than English football fans? It's ridiculous that there's a law preventing football clubs selling alcohol but rugby clubs can sell it.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Out of interest how old are you? Meeting friends for a beer before going to the match is part of the social occasion and has been for me for over 30 years. Nothing to do with me having a problem doing without drink. Either you're on the wind up, a recovering alcoholic or just being plain ridiculous.

What a ridiculous post! Meeting up with mates for a pre-match pint is a major part of "going to the fitba' " for a huge number of supporters. For the vast majority, the social aspect is far more important than any craving for alcohol.

Agree, it is a ridiculous post. As are the posts suggesting you have a problem if you support pints being available at half time.

SaudiHibby
16-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Not as lucrative as you may think. Average spends across the board in stadiums for football will be around a pound per spectator. With the high number of staff required to sell it in a very short space of time and the extra supervision required to ensure licensing rules are obeyed its a headache most stadium bosses would rather do without. Add to that the local publicans loss in trade and it's a lose lose. Can't see it happening.

Hibbyradge
16-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Not as lucrative as you may think. Average spends across the board in stadiums for football will be around a pound per spectator. With the high number of staff required to sell it in a very short space of time and the extra supervision required to ensure licensing rules are obeyed its a headache most stadium bosses would rather do without. Add to that the local publicans loss in trade and it's a lose lose. Can't see it happening.

It might be logistically challenging for the catering companies who want to tender for the contract to sell alcohol.

Hibs, who already have an alcohol licence, more or less just sit back and watch h the coffers swell.

Or is that naive?

Brooster
16-02-2015, 07:09 AM
In such a civilised society it's a pity I can't enjoy a pre match/half time pint in the stadium like I do on my frequent visits to English Premiership grounds.....all because the old firm fans cannot behave like normal people.

green&left
16-02-2015, 07:59 AM
In such a civilised society it's a pity I can't enjoy a pre match/half time pint in the stadium like I do on my frequent visits to English Premiership grounds.....all because the old firm fans cannot behave like normal people.

Not just old firm fans.

According to BBC Scotland discussion on the matter this morning couldn't believe what I was listening to in what was essentially labelling every match day going football fan a potential hooligan and wife beater. "Do we really want to run the risk of increasing A&E numbers on Saturday evenings due to football violence" "Do we really want to run the risk of seeing an increase of domestic abuse". Fair play to Jim Murphy on his phone-in for putting them straight (First and likely only time I'll say that).

I was at Man Utd v Liverpool in December and got a bottle of lager at half-time. Thats a high risk fixture and there wasn't a hint of bother at that match. Some phanny's up here though seem to suggest if I could get a pint at half time home to Dumbarton i'm gonna knock out the next person I look at then go home and beat the missus up.

Bad Martini
16-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Not just old firm fans.

According to BBC Scotland discussion on the matter this morning couldn't believe what I was listening to in what was essentially labelling every match day going football fan a potential hooligan and wife beater. "Do we really want to run the risk of increasing A&E numbers on Saturday evenings due to football violence" "Do we really want to run the risk of seeing an increase of domestic abuse". Fair play to Jim Murphy on his phone-in for putting them straight (First and likely only time I'll say that).

I was at Man Utd v Liverpool in December and got a bottle of lager at half-time. Thats a high risk fixture and there wasn't a hint of bother at that match. Some phanny's up here though seem to suggest if I could get a pint at half time home to Dumbarton i'm gonna knock out the next person I look at then go home and beat the missus up.

:top marks

Spot on.

Labelling EVERY fitba fan in the same way is wrong on every level. Alcohol (and non-alcohol) fuelled sectarianisim and (to a lesser extent) physical violence is a huge problem in Scotland but really (seriously) manifests itself between celtic and rangers. Most reasonable people would agree this? The EVIDENCE is there. When others managed to maintain normal o'clock kick-offs, they moved the previous old firm matches to uber-early kick-offs, so fans couldnt go out and get pissed. Erm, this is BEFORE drinking is allowed in grounds...but hold that thought.

I recall hearing stats on domestic violence and how these correlated directly to increased levels when the once mighty old firm met to do battle/insult eachother for 90 minutes.

I dont recall said problems being noted in other huge games, relatively speaking to that locality. Hibs/Hearts, Dundee/Dundee Utd ... Aberdeen/Inverness/etc. Lets no tar everyone in Scotland with the same brush cause we are not all the same and we all know where the real problems lie, even if the beeb dont have the balls to say it.

The suggestion that people drinking beer in a fitba stadium will lead to complete social destruction is utter pish. Consider:
1) If I want to get heavily tanked up, I'd do it where it was cheaper, more accessible and less regulated - local boozer perhaps? Or easier still, in the house...particularly if the aim was to drink as much as possible for as little money as possible...
2) Assuming I was a pub drinker, why would I leave the pub where it's cheaper than the stadium and where I am already situated, smaller queues to rush into the ground to drink insane amounts?...
3) Then we have the small matter of regulation and such like; the ground has police and stewards...the pub doesn't.

So, lets not be stupid about this. If people are suggesting there is a problem with alcohol at fitba, it ALREADY exists and it doesn't exist and wont magically start to exist if we start selling drink in the concourse. Surely the problem already exists with folk being pished and going to the game? Read the ticket stub....it already makes provision for this. If youre pished, you shouldnt get in. Except, it doesnt get fully enforced....

So, the answer? Leave things as they are, dont allow (controlled, civilised and dare I say, in some way profitable) drink into stadiums and pretend every single punter that comes through the turnstyle is a rabbid alcoholic who enjoys fighting before/during and after the game, fuelled by £4 a pint beer?

As if that weren't enough, consider...

...This is nothing more than class fuelled stereotyping bollocks. You can ALREADY drink in almost EVERY football ground in Scotland....................before, during AND after the match. However, that's only open to those with a spare £80+ for hospitality........after all, the richest people in society are better people? They are well behaved, never defrauded anyone, beat anyone up, got involved in dubious singing (check YouTube for such things) and worse? Every single punter in hospitality is guaranteed to behave, not get pished, not overdo it (sometimes with free bevvy thrown in) as they are in some way better?

BOLLOCKS.

It's fine down south. There is plenty dislike between teams there (and plenty huge rivalaries including the London teams, Manchester teams, Liverpool teams and plenty others).....and still this apparent social meltdown doesnt occur every Saturday...hmmmm.

:rolleyes:

basehibby
16-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't see why not. Alcohol was banned in the old days when the football watching environment was totally different. These were the days when folk could bring along a carryout of bottles or cans to the terracing where you could very easily vanish from view in a big crowd.

This made it easy for any bam-stick that fancied lobbing his empties either on the pitch or at the opposition support, to do so undetected. This would not be the case in an all seater ground where any nut job hurling missiles is more easily isolated and ejected, and where in any case, beer would be served in plastic cups, rendering it pretty ineffective as a missile.

Of course it might lead to folk getting a wee bit more bevied than they otherwise would have - but surely by only one or two more pints (especially considering the likely eye watering prices) - and the sore end of that if there was one would likely be felt long after the fans had left the ground.

emerald green
16-02-2015, 01:29 PM
I don't see why not. Alcohol was banned in the old days when the football watching environment was totally different. These were the days when folk could bring along a carryout of bottles or cans to the terracing where you could very easily vanish from view in a big crowd.

This made it easy for any bam-stick that fancied lobbing his empties either on the pitch or at the opposition support, to do so undetected. This would not be the case in an all seater ground where any nut job hurling missiles is more easily isolated and ejected, and where in any case, beer would be served in plastic cups, rendering it pretty ineffective as a missile.

Of course it might lead to folk getting a wee bit more bevied than they otherwise would have - but surely by only one or two more pints (especially considering the likely eye watering prices) - and the sore end of that if there was one would likely be felt long after the fans had left the ground.

I just can't see the attraction of drinking p*** lager or beer out of plastic cups. I would rather wait and go for a decent pint in a good pub and drink out of a glass. Just saying like. Each to their own.

hibby6270
16-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Maybe it's just my basic aversion to needing to have a drink to attend a football match but my one big question is - when did Scottish clubs sell booze previously to the "ordinary supporter"? Just when was it 'banned' from sale in Scottish grounds. I certainly can't recall it ever being on sale at ER!!

So what's all this "reintroduce it" cr*p all about?

I realise it was banned from being taken into grounds 30 years or so ago but............generally on sale in grounds?....... I was either too young for it to be an issue (I'm 56 btw), or as I suspect, it never was on sale in the past.:confused:

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a drink now and again. Just never seen the need (or point) to get tanked up before (or during) a game. And, as stated in previous posts, not needed either to attend gigs, concerts, musicals or whatever. Just saying like. :aok:

southsider
16-02-2015, 01:51 PM
FWIW, watching Hibs under Butcher required drink.

SaudiHibby
16-02-2015, 01:54 PM
It might be logistically challenging for the catering companies who want to tender for the contract to sell alcohol.

Hibs, who already have an alcohol licence, more or less just sit back and watch h the coffers swell.

Or is that naive?

Take the nine grand (assuming a 9000 crowd) and make a margin of 30% to share between Hibs and the contractor (2700 quid) so Hibs would get no more than 1500 quid to go towards extra stewarding and retain some profit. You can see why a lot of stadium managers say it's not worth the potential downside.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Take the nine grand (assuming a 9000 crowd) and make a margin of 30% to share between Hibs and the contractor (2700 quid) so Hibs would get no more than 1500 quid to go towards extra stewarding and retain some profit. You can see why a lot of stadium managers say it's not worth the potential downside.

Hibs would make their money regardless of sales. Their income would be guaranteed by the concession who pay for the right to sell from an outlet within the ground.

Phil MaGlass
16-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Spot on.

Labelling EVERY fitba fan in the same way is wrong on every level. Alcohol (and non-alcohol) fuelled sectarianisim and (to a lesser extent) physical violence is a huge problem in Scotland but really (seriously) manifests itself between celtic and rangers. Most reasonable people would agree this? The EVIDENCE is there. When others managed to maintain normal o'clock kick-offs, they moved the previous old firm matches to uber-early kick-offs, so fans couldnt go out and get pissed. Erm, this is BEFORE drinking is allowed in grounds...but hold that thought.

I recall hearing stats on domestic violence and how these correlated directly to increased levels when the once mighty old firm met to do battle/insult eachother for 90 minutes.

I dont recall said problems being noted in other huge games, relatively speaking to that locality. Hibs/Hearts, Dundee/Dundee Utd ... Aberdeen/Inverness/etc. Lets no tar everyone in Scotland with the same brush cause we are not all the same and we all know where the real problems lie, even if the beeb dont have the balls to say it.

The suggestion that people drinking beer in a fitba stadium will lead to complete social destruction is utter pish. Consider:
1) If I want to get heavily tanked up, I'd do it where it was cheaper, more accessible and less regulated - local boozer perhaps? Or easier still, in the house...particularly if the aim was to drink as much as possible for as little money as possible...
2) Assuming I was a pub drinker, why would I leave the pub where it's cheaper than the stadium and where I am already situated, smaller queues to rush into the ground to drink insane amounts?...
3) Then we have the small matter of regulation and such like; the ground has police and stewards...the pub doesn't.

So, lets not be stupid about this. If people are suggesting there is a problem with alcohol at fitba, it ALREADY exists and it doesn't exist and wont magically start to exist if we start selling drink in the concourse. Surely the problem already exists with folk being pished and going to the game? Read the ticket stub....it already makes provision for this. If youre pished, you shouldnt get in. Except, it doesnt get fully enforced....

So, the answer? Leave things as they are, dont allow (controlled, civilised and dare I say, in some way profitable) drink into stadiums and pretend every single punter that comes through the turnstyle is a rabbid alcoholic who enjoys fighting before/during and after the game, fuelled by £4 a pint beer?

As if that weren't enough, consider...

...This is nothing more than class fuelled stereotyping bollocks. You can ALREADY drink in almost EVERY football ground in Scotland....................before, during AND after the match. However, that's only open to those with a spare £80+ for hospitality........after all, the richest people in society are better people? They are well behaved, never defrauded anyone, beat anyone up, got involved in dubious singing (check YouTube for such things) and worse? Every single punter in hospitality is guaranteed to behave, not get pished, not overdo it (sometimes with free bevvy thrown in) as they are in some way better?

BOLLOCKS.

It's fine down south. There is plenty dislike between teams there (and plenty huge rivalaries including the London teams, Manchester teams, Liverpool teams and plenty others).....and still this apparent social meltdown doesnt occur every Saturday...hmmmm.

:rolleyes:

Spot on, they sell beer at my local club for the past 3-4 seasons and we have the worst hooligans in holland, a pint costs the same as it does in the local boozer we dont have marauding fans during the game, theres only been one small incident inside the stadium in that time and it was not drink related. God knows why people think we will be going back to the bad old days of alchol fuelled punchups on the terraces,when most folk have already tried cramming as many beers down their necks before getting to the game as theres no beer to buy, in the stadium, if znything you would think there would have been more bother with binge drinking before the game but that never materialised
Bring beer back and why cant I vote for it on my tablet.

Phil D. Rolls
16-02-2015, 04:41 PM
How does this effect those who bring a hip flask to the match? It's a bit of a cheek saying it's OK to drink alcohol if it's the club who are selling it.

Scotchmist
16-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Not too bothered whether I can get a drink in the concourse or not. There are plenty places within a 5 minute walk that we can get a pint already, including Behind the Goals. Anyway, I have got to the stage where I have to be very careful with "P!sh Management". I could do with a Fireman's pole type contraption from row FF in the East, down to the gents. :wink:

SaudiHibby
16-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Hibs would make their money regardless of sales. Their income would be guaranteed by the concession who pay for the right to sell from an outlet within the ground.

As someone who has run the majority of major stadium contracts in the UK ( yours included ) I bow to your better knowledge. :rolleyes:

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Not that bothered if you can get a pint in the ground before the game or at half time and that's speaking as someone who sees getting a pint in the pub or at BTG before the game as an utterly integral part of my matchday experience. As it has been for nearly 40 years.

But if folk want a pint at half time and especially if it means more revenue for Hibs and Scottish football in general then I cant see the problem. How can conditions ever improve if we look on everybody as potential drink fuelled football hooligan wife ( or husband ) beaters.

Sir David Gray
16-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Not really bothered by this at all.

However I don't think it's right to have an outright ban on alcohol at football matches, when you can drink alcohol at pretty much every other sporting event.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2015, 07:00 PM
As someone who has run the majority of major stadium contracts in the UK ( yours included ) I bow to your better knowledge. :rolleyes:

Nae probs anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to ask. Ooh I love the way you roll your eyes.

lord bunberry
16-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Spot on, they sell beer at my local club for the past 3-4 seasons and we have the worst hooligans in holland, a pint costs the same as it does in the local boozer we dont have marauding fans during the game, theres only been one small incident inside the stadium in that time and it was not drink related. God knows why people think we will be going back to the bad old days of alchol fuelled punchups on the terraces,when most folk have already tried cramming as many beers down their necks before getting to the game as theres no beer to buy, in the stadium, if znything you would think there would have been more bother with binge drinking before the game but that never materialised
Bring beer back and why cant I vote for it on my tablet.

Is it because you've had too much beer:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
17-02-2015, 03:54 AM
Why ? and why ? Alcohol is sold at the stadium already and in dozens of pubs nearby ,the stadium only opens an hour before kick off. How much bevvy can be consumed in an hour, if it is stewarded correctly it should be no problem whatsoever.

Everyone goes on about the German model where only alcohol free beer is saved for grudge matches/derbies. My German team played in Mönchengladbach a fee years ago where they weren't allowed to sell alcohol literally anywhere in the city on match day before kick off.

SaudiHibby
17-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Nae probs anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to ask. Ooh I love the way you roll your eyes.

The use of the word 'concession' takes me back to the 80's :rolleyes: its all restrospective discounts, KPI's and SLA's now. But you bash on cheeky chappy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2015, 07:43 AM
The term concession is still alive and kicking today I can assure you! Why there are even jobs advertised as concession managers fancy that eh! SLA's' and KPI'S as well! Still loving how you roll your lovely eyes.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 07:50 AM
The use of the word 'concession' takes me back to the 80's :rolleyes: its all restrospective discounts, KPI's and SLA's now. But you bash on cheeky chappy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

How do these work?

Hermit Crab
17-02-2015, 07:55 AM
I voted for all areas of the ground but it wouldn't bother me if it was rejected in Parliament. Interestingly on the Monday night fitba show on saltire radio last night, the hosts and panel discussed this and the general consensus was that nobody was really fussy about booze being for sale at football. Now the hosts and panel we all aged between 20-35, probably the age groups that clubs would aim for so it was interesting to hear that. Like I say I voted yes but not bothered at all if it doesn't happen. What I've never had I'll never miss if I'm honest.

heretoday
17-02-2015, 08:46 AM
This is less about allowing fans the freedom to enjoy themselves like adults and more about extra revenue for clubs. The drink on offer is likely to be rip off lager at a price in a plastic glass and personally I can't think of anything worse than queuing up in a grim concourse under the stand for such fare.

SaudiHibby
17-02-2015, 08:54 AM
The term concession is still alive and kicking today I can assure you! Why there are even jobs advertised as concession managers fancy that eh! SLA's' and KPI'S as well! Still loving how you roll your lovely eyes.

You wont hear the modern hospitality industry referring to concession managers any more Scallywag. It's a term used in the retail industry (mainly clothing). The world of hospitality has moved on and most hospitality companies will do deals on assets (i.e. long term capex investments in infrastructure to guarantee long term contracts) and then agree a share of the remaining potential available profit which is then reviewed against performance. These deals tend to be open book. Taking Anfield as an example Paul Heathcote and ourselves invested in the Red Bar and the Boot Room cafe along with doing away with cans in retail by fitting proper bars and got a long term deal out of Rick Parry. LFC employed customer satisfaction surveyors to monitor performance (queue times and quality of product) against predefined SLA's and KPI's. We also put in the first ever stadium based MacDonalds as you will know. We also agreed in advance what prices we would charge. Whoever does this at Easter Road will be looking for the same kind of deal. It is possible (we did it at Wembley, Arsenal and Millennium Stadium) to have a system linked to mobile phones to collect pre and half time pre orders and simply have them ready for collection. You could go even further and deliver to seats but that's difficult in full stadiums. We used to put on bands at the old Highbury to attract fans in early as there was no benefit to the club when fans ate and drank outside the stadium footprint. I can guarantee you the match day profit comes from Hospitality in any stadium but it is important to try and keep the entire catering contract with one company as you get a stronger management team and better results as they also get non match day profit. Retail in stadiums should be about an enhanced match day experience with great products and regular staff who get to know their customers. If you give the lucrative hospitality to a company it should be on the basis that that has to be offset against low margin in retail and it should be a long term deal based on capital injection from the 'concessionaire'.

Scouse Hibee
17-02-2015, 09:03 AM
You wont hear the modern hospitality industry referring to concession managers any more Scallywag. It's a term used in the retail industry (mainly clothing). The world of hospitality has moved on and most hospitality companies will do deals on assets (i.e. long term capex investments in infrastructure to guarantee long term contracts) and then agree a share of the remaining potential available profit which is then reviewed against performance. These deals tend to be open book. Taking Anfield as an example Paul Heathcote and ourselves invested in the Red Bar and the Boot Room cafe along with doing away with cans in retail by fitting proper bars and got a long term deal out of Rick Parry. LFC employed customer satisfaction surveyors to monitor performance (queue times and quality of product) against predefined SLA's and KPI's. We also put in the first ever stadium based MacDonalds as you will know. We also agreed in advance what prices we would charge. Whoever does this at Easter Road will be looking for the same kind of deal. It is possible (we did it at Wembley, Arsenal and Millennium Stadium) to have a system linked to mobile phones to collect pre and half time pre orders and simply have them ready for collection. You could go even further and deliver to seats but that's difficult in full stadiums. We used to put on bands at the old Highbury to attract fans in early as there was no benefit to the club when fans ate and drank outside the stadium footprint. I can guarantee you the match day profit comes from Hospitality in any stadium but it is important to try and keep the entire catering contract with one company as you get a stronger management team and better results as they also get non match day profit. Retail in stadiums should be about an enhanced match day experience with great products and regular staff who get to know their customers. If you give the lucrative hospitality to a company it should be on the basis that that has to be offset against low margin in retail and it should be a long term deal based on capital injection from the 'concessionaire'.

Thanks for that much more informative than your rolling eyes, I knew if I pushed you would help me out :-). My only experience is retail concessions cheers mate.

greenpaper55
17-02-2015, 09:16 AM
Sturgeon and the thought police will put an end to this idea.

Hermit Crab
17-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Agreed. However it would do no harm for votes in parliament if they were to at least trial it.

lord bunberry
17-02-2015, 09:34 AM
This is less about allowing fans the freedom to enjoy themselves like adults and more about extra revenue for clubs. The drink on offer is likely to be rip off lager at a price in a plastic glass and personally I can't think of anything worse than queuing up in a grim concourse under the stand for such fare.
You won't be forced to queue up for it, it would be nice to have the choice and be treated like an adult. I'm 40 this year and I think I could manage a pint at half time without turning into a lunatic.

SaudiHibby
17-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks for that much more informative than your rolling eyes, I knew if I pushed you would help me out :-). My only experience is retail concessions cheers mate.

When a scouser calls you mate it's normally followed by an introduction to stanley. Thank **** I am miles away ;-)

Phil MaGlass
17-02-2015, 10:28 AM
in some stadiums in Holland they sell the beer at the food kiosks and also stand alone taps, so if you dont want food you go to the beer queue, which is pretty quick. ADO sell alot of beer before, during and after the game, the club even puts on a DJ under the stands after the game so folk can have a pint and listen to the music before leaving to the fans clubhouse, pretty well organised I must say and saves everyone from leaving the stadium at one time.

Shaggy
17-02-2015, 10:39 AM
I am a NO.

I am quite happy going for a drink before or after event..(usually both)

But its not worth it having "two can dans" tumbling down the East stand stairs taking other bystanders with them,
Never mind the amount of folk in and out of there seats for a pash ever two minutes.
:drunk:

Lago
17-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Dont agree with much that Frau Sturgeon has to say, but on this one I do.

Winston Ingram
17-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Really can't see a problem with bevvy being sold at games.

The world has moved on a lot since 1980.

It's sold at games in England and rugby in Scotland with relatively little bother.

Winston Ingram
17-02-2015, 11:12 AM

They may do but i can't see how it would stand up against any legal challenge given that it's sold with little bother in England

Lago
17-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Really can't see a problem with bevvy being sold at games.

The world has moved on a lot since 1980.

It's sold at games in England and rugby in Scotland with relatively little bother.
Not moved on much at all judging by what I'm told hibs fans were subjected to at the rangers game last Friday.

leggeto
17-02-2015, 11:18 AM
I think it was that folk were smuggling bevy in to the grounds back then,can't be any harm in getting a pint at half time,if anyone was to kick off being bevied it would be because he got let in bevied

eastcoasthibby
17-02-2015, 12:17 PM

My thoughts as well on both quotes .....and if the tender contract winner sells the same quality as the caterer at the same sort of inflated prices then forget it for me !!! ripped for a drink same as your food no thanks.

But i do get why the issue needs to be considered.

God Petrie
17-02-2015, 12:29 PM

You give her too much credit. As long as there is desperate politicians, basic socially irresponsible ideas such as this which pander to the "working class" in attempt to deflect from their real issues will always exist.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Below is a tweet from an SNP MSP today in relation to the subject of being allowed to drink at games. So good to be lectured by our betters. What exactly do they think the difference is between rugby fans and football fans?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/564414593481846784/oANkwZ2m_normal.jpeg Christina McKelvie @ChristinaSNP (https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP) · 5h 5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP/status/567619416419221504)

"football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.” George Orwell 1984

hhibs
17-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Below is a tweet from an SNP MSP today in relation to the subject of being allowed to drink at games. So good to be lectured by our betters. What exactly do they think the difference is between rugby fans and football fans?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/564414593481846784/oANkwZ2m_normal.jpeg Christina McKelvie @ChristinaSNP (https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP) · 5h 5 hours ago (https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP/status/567619416419221504)

"football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.” George Orwell 1984

Sorry but in my opinion Orwell and the MSP have a point I am afraid.
AS for why not rugby too, the history of crowd violence,sectarian bile and trouble in the streets is minimal compared to football.....unfortunately.

dangermouse
17-02-2015, 02:41 PM
If you want to drink beer stay in the pub, if you want to watch football go to the game, if you want to do both find a pub showing football at 3PM.

Hibs History
17-02-2015, 02:48 PM
I have been to games in England where drinking during the match is available but very rarely done.

Maybe a pint before the ko and rarely one at halftime, only if you can get to the stalls in time!

At £4.50 a pint, they can keep it!

Take the game on Friday, I dread to think what the rangers fans would have been like with additional drink options.

Guaranteed we wouldn't have been allowed beer

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 02:50 PM
I think it's good to see a MSP with a bit of culture.

GreenOnions
17-02-2015, 02:58 PM
I think it's good to see a MSP with a bit of culture.

Antibiotics should do the job - I'm sure she'll be fine

mim
17-02-2015, 03:02 PM
During the 50 years I've followed Hibs while old enough to drink, I have no memory of ever having a drink at ER, except in recent years before a game in the FF.
I have never felt particularly downtrodden. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Michael
17-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Well, it turns out you can use 1984 quotes to win any argument. Even when it comes to what beverages to sell at football matches. Embarrassing.

Septimus
17-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I have been to Murrayfield once in my life where it appeared to be de rigeur to get drunk in the car park before the game. The drink of choice in the party was a weird mixture of Drambuie and ginger wine. The game was rubbish so the alcohol helped to dull the pain.

dangermouse
17-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Well, it turns out you can use 1984 quotes to win any argument. Even when it comes to what beverages to sell at football matches. Embarrassing.

Would have been so much better if the book had been called 1986 :greengrin

Kato
17-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Orwell had a habit of being a total snob at times.

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 03:19 PM

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already. :wink:

God Petrie
17-02-2015, 03:21 PM
The point is that there ar bigger issues than having to go 90 minutes without a pint and the politicians putting forward these ideas are deflecting from real issues.

And yes, if you vote based on drinking at football you are a complete idiot.

The_Exile
17-02-2015, 03:23 PM
I'd ban booze indefinitely, apart from Whisky and Patrón Tequilla.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 03:25 PM
The point is that there ar bigger issues than having to go 90 minutes without a pint and the politicians putting forward these ideas are deflecting from real issues.

And yes, if you vote based on drinking at football you are a complete idiot.

Are we not capable of discussing both bigger and smaller issues? I'd quite like my club to be able to increase its revenues with alcohol sales during games, particularly if sold sensibly.

Maybe there's an Orwell quote she can use telling us we're too thick to think too.

Lago
17-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Why has a new thread been opened when we already have one running on this subject?

CraigHibee
17-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Although it would generate extra income for the club i can happily go months without a drink so i'm not particularly bothered either way

God Petrie
17-02-2015, 03:36 PM
That tweet is more of a comment on Jim Murphys style of politics than anything. She's not saying people are stupid by wanting a drink at football. She's saying politicians that think people can be manipulated so easily are stupid.

I'm more offended by the people trying to buy football fans votes with ludicrous petty nonsense like drinking at football than someone parodying that style of politics with an Orwell quote.

Bishop Hibee
17-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Sounds like she's been on the PM board :wink: I assume she is making a point regarding Jim "Blairite" Murphy thinking that this sort of populism will win Labour votes rather than her actually insulting football fans.

The_Exile
17-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Are we not capable of discussing both bigger and smaller issues? I'd quite like my club to be able to increase its revenues with alcohol sales during games, particularly if sold sensibly.

Maybe there's an Orwell quote she can use telling us we're too thick to think too.

No question any football club could sell alcohol sensibly, but there's a vast number of folk who can't consume it sensibly, especially in Scotland where it's probably the most destructive force going. Therefore I think selling booze at a football game (even category B only) is probably a daft idea and one which really should be put to bed. Having said that, although I think it's a stupid idea, I've nothing against it really, and can't envisage many problems inside the staidum, perhaps later on that night but not at the ground.

Peevemor
17-02-2015, 03:39 PM
That tweet is more of a comment on Jim Murphys style of politics than anything. She's not saying people are stupid by wanting a drink at football. She's saying politicians that think people can be manipulated so easily are stupid.

I'm more offended by the people trying to buy football fans votes with ludicrous petty nonsense like drinking at football than someone parodying that style of politics with an Orwell quote.

Oscar T Grouch
17-02-2015, 03:40 PM

"Ignorance is strength" :wink:

Keith_M
17-02-2015, 03:41 PM
What exactly do they think the difference is between rugby fans and football fans?
(https://twitter.com/ChristinaSNP)

When was the last time there was crowd trouble at a Rugby Match?

Are Rugby Stadia segregated, so as to separate Fans of each side?

Name two Rugby Teams so divided by the religion of their Fans that they sing songs of relgious hatred at each other for 80 minutes; or had a mass riot on the pitch.

Sorry, but there is a difference.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 03:43 PM

No, she's quoting a renowned writer in his contention that the masses are controlled by beer, football and gambling. It's straight from the 'it's not our idea so it must be a bad idea' school of politics. Why didn't she just express a view on whether or not alcohol sales at football matches should be allowed, exactly the same as they are at rugby and horse racing?

Why do you think it is "ludicrous petty nonsense" to allow drinking at football?

keep the faith
17-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't think Scottish football is crying out for alcohol inside grounds. Will be overpriced and asking for trouble.
Jim Murphy looking for cheap points in an election year and nothing more.

JeMeSouviens
17-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Do you not think it's more a dig aimed those who would seek to control rather than those who they would seek to control? Or, to put it more simply, Jim Murphy is a totally transparent, shamelessly opportunistic hypocrite.

I mean, prancing about in a Scotland top, could he be any more obvious (and desperate)? :rolleyes:

ronaldo7
17-02-2015, 03:56 PM
I'd be more inclined to listen to her if she'd been wearing a Scotland top and playing keepie uppie whilst the plebs continue to visit food banks.

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2015, 03:57 PM

I don't think Scottish football is crying out for alcohol inside grounds. Will be overpriced and asking for trouble.

exactly, the OP with his usual monotonous anti-SNP tripe, bring back the cheese board, already a thread on alcohol at football but wants to get on his wee crate and tell us all how bad the SNP are...p@sh, his wee Labour pal will be along shortly

:hilarious

green&left
17-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Based on this argument we should ban alcohol from theatre's, cinemas, concert halls and arenas, flights, trains, rugby, cricket and boxing etc too then. Cos afterall if you can't go 2 hrs for a drink....

Wilson
17-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Everything is overpriced at football. Hell, even the football is overpriced. There are valid arguments against alcohol in grounds but that it'll be as overpriced as everything else isn't really one of them.

keep the faith
17-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Great post and spot on.

keep the faith
17-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Everything is overpriced at football. Hell, even the football is overpriced. There are valid arguments against alcohol in grounds but that it'll be as overpriced as everything else isn't really one of them.

My point is it's just not needed at the match.
Would love to see this patronising stunt backfire by fans rejecting it.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Comments like hers are like a boot stamping on your face. :wink:

I don't want a drink at the games, but can see no problems in trying it out. Stadia and crowd control are more advanced now than when the ban was brought in.

It was brought in for a good reason. A two year trial is a good way of seeing whether that reason still exists.

I don't like a drink before games because I hate the way you start to sober up by half time. A sharpener at half time could settle me long enough to get the pub afterwards.

It's a win win solution. Sales of booze would go up in the pubs, and Hibs could cash in as well. In a culture of restrained drinking like ours, what's not to like?

lucky
17-02-2015, 04:04 PM
To be fair to Christina its a dig a Jim Murphy rather than football fans. But Christina always argues the opposite to what Labour says as a matter of fact rather than any logic. I wonder if she has ever been to a game rather than make comments on an environment she knows little about. Football supporters should have the same freedoms as all other citizens. I'm sure fans could have a beer in a football ground without causing trouble.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 04:05 PM

It's a reflection on the divide and rule philosophy of the branch office. Patronising people by telling them they are missing out on things that others are allowed freely.

It distracts from their failure to create a more equal society. IMO they like to keep people down.

Surprised they didn't think of this when they were in power.

Just Alf
17-02-2015, 04:08 PM
To be fair to Christina its a dig a Jim Murphy rather than football fans. But Christina always argues the opposite to what Labour says as a matter of fact rather than any logic. I wonder if she has ever been to a game rather than make comments on an environment she knows little about. Football supporters should have the same freedoms as all other citizens. I'm sure fans could have a beer in a football ground without causing trouble.

You ain't wrong..... :agree:

Pete
17-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Drinking at games is a red herring.

What we should be discussing first is safe standing and hammering the old firm.

These are things that would REALLY encourage people to get into our game.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2015, 04:14 PM
If you want to drink beer stay in the pub, if you want to watch football go to the game, if you want to do both find a pub showing football at 3PM.

Yep encouraging less people to attend Scottish football and more to watch English games on TV is a great attitude.

gringojoe
17-02-2015, 04:16 PM
As Slab Murphy is in favour of this will he be necking pints at darkheid or will he remain teatotal?

Phil D. Rolls
What's the chances of going the whole hog, and making Class A drugs available as well? :stirrer:

HarpyHibby
I think the whole drinking at games issue is simply a political football being used by labour to try and gain more votes in the general election from the working class electorate and I think it will work.

HUTCHYHIBBY
Although it would generate extra income for the club i can happily go months without a drink so i'm not particularly bothered either way

Thats the point though, the individual should have the choice, not be dictated to for being a football fan.

God Petrie
17-02-2015, 04:20 PM
No, she's quoting a renowned writer in his contention that the masses are controlled by beer, football and gambling. It's straight from the 'it's not our idea so it must be a bad idea' school of politics. Why didn't she just express a view on whether or not alcohol sales at football matches should be allowed, exactly the same as they are at rugby and horse racing?

Why do you think it is "ludicrous petty nonsense" to allow drinking at football?

What? Have you read 1984?

iwasthere1972
17-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Unless you leave your seat fifteen minutes before half time you won't have time to queue and down a pint in time to get back to your seat in time for the beginning of the second half.

Just get drunk out your skull before the game and you won't feel like one at half time.

Simples.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 04:26 PM
What? Have you read 1984?

I think The Road to Wigan Pier is the best way to understand Orwell's contempt for the (then) ILP, and their disconnect with the Proletariat.

Anybody that has read 1984 should be aware that it is totalitarianism that is the enemy, not the working class. Anybody that thinks Orwell hated the working class, doesn't understand Orwell, and they don't understand the working class.

This is a man who slept rough and lived as a vagrant. Looking down on Orwell is just inverted snobbery.

Ricky Bobby
17-02-2015, 04:29 PM
For me it's not about choosing to have a drink or not before football. It's about being treated as a second class citizen by these ignorant people.
Football, like rugby, like going for out for a meal is a social event. Why should some stuck up MSP whose perception of football is clearly stuck in the seventies dictate how we socialise. I would imagine she would be less than pleased if she was told that she was not free to indulge in her favourite tipple whilst attending one of her many free lunches with the other free loaders in politics.
Fans are allowed to consume alchohol in grounds in England and Wales without any real problem. FACT. What makes us so different?

Alfred E Newman
17-02-2015, 04:46 PM
For what it's worth I don't see the need to sell booze at half time. Hibs already have a child friendly facility that lets fans have a drink right up to 2.45 which works well and I have to say I have never seen anyone heading into the ground drunk or causing bother.
What I really object to is the suggestion that because I choose to travel to watch Hibs on a Saturday instead of going down to watch my local Rugby Club makes me a lower class of person than my friends who prefer the oval ball.

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2015, 04:56 PM

I presume its a dig at Murphy .... I.E. he is patronising the voters if he thinks his support of this will sway peoples votes towards Labour. On the other hand, even as an SNP member I do find the Scottish Government's inability to stop nannying us at every bloody turn somewhat tiresome. They might turn Scotland into the healthiest and safest country in the world in the end.

But what a bloody bore its going to be living here.

ancient hibee
17-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Do you not think it's more a dig aimed those who would seek to control rather than those who they would seek to control? Or, to put it more simply, Jim Murphy is a totally transparent, shamelessly opportunistic hypocrite.

I mean, prancing about in a Scotland top, could he be any more obvious (and desperate)? :rolleyes:

Pathetic comment.Only people you agree with who are allowed to wear a Scotland top.What next an oath of allegiance.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:02 PM
exactly, the OP with his usual monotonous anti-SNP tripe, bring back the cheese board, already a thread on alcohol at football but wants to get on his wee crate and tell us all how bad the SNP are...p@sh, his wee Labour pal will be along shortly

:hilarious

I'm more than happy to praise the SNP when they get things right - and lowering the drink drive limit in my view is a good example of that. On the other hand when they indulge in this kind of patronising crap it should be pointed out.

There's a serious debate needed here and you're posted missing from it.

Allowing clubs to sell alcohol at the games would be a good first step in starting to undo the damage done by Thatcher since the Taylor Report. It needs safeguards but Scottish Football needs all the help it can get.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:05 PM

Presumably Salmond wobbling around with a saltire top hat in Paris with the Tartan Army wasn't at all patronising?

Try engaging with the subject under discussion. Alcohol in grounds - why not?

hibsbollah
17-02-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm more than happy to praise the SNP when they get things right - and lowering the drink drive limit in my view is a good example of that. On the other hand when they indulge in this kind of patronising crap it should be pointed out.

Allowing clubs to sell alcohol at the games would be a good first step in starting to undo the damage done by Thatcher since the Taylor Report. It needs safeguards but Scottish Football needs all the help it can get.

Im surprised and delighted one of my elected representatives is quoting Orwell. There is hope for us all.

This is inclined to make me think more favorably of the SNP, which I doubt is what you intended:greengrin

El Gubbz
17-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Selling booze in the stadium could generate much needed profit, particularly for smaller clubs where there is a large away support visiting.

Just Alf
17-02-2015, 05:08 PM

This is a GOOD post :agree:

ancient hibee
17-02-2015, 05:10 PM
I think it was that folk were smuggling bevy in to the grounds back then,can't be any harm in getting a pint at half time,if anyone was to kick off being bevied it would be because he got let in bevied

It wasn't being smuggled in it was carried in quite openly-I remember seeing Celtic fans carrying in a crate of export-the bottles were then used to pee into and then thrown at the crowd.I say the crowd 'cos with no segregation they were just as likely to hit one of their own.When I was a kid watching the OF arrive was like an alien invasion-buses would pull up in Montgomery Street and barely human forms would erupt from them-no coats no matter how bad the weather-already drunk-ah the good old days.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:11 PM
Im surprised and delighted one of my elected representatives is quoting Orwell. There is hope for us all.

This is inclined to make me think more favorably of the SNP, which I doubt is what you intended:greengrin

Ha ha, you're already a lost cause. I haven't forgotten your championing of Ed Balls....

I'm a fan of Orwell and I well remember his views on nationalism too but that's beside the point.

Drink in grounds. Ahem, 'Yes' or 'No'......

leggeto
17-02-2015, 05:13 PM
It wasn't being smuggled in it was carried in quite openly-I remember seeing Celtic fans carrying in a crate of export-the bottles were then used to pee into and then thrown at the crowd.I say the crowd 'cos with no segregation they were just as likely to hit one of their own.When I was a kid watching the OF arrive was like an alien invasion-buses would pull up in Montgomery Street and barely human forms would erupt from them-no coats no matter how bad the weather-already drunk-ah the good old days.
Haha I quite believe it,they are on a different planet right enough

hibsbollah
17-02-2015, 05:20 PM
Ha ha, you're already a lost cause. I haven't forgotten your championing of Ed Balls....

I'm a fan of Orwell and I well remember his views on nationalism too but that's beside the point.

Drink in grounds. Ahem, 'Yes' or 'No'......

I think Ed Balls has the ability to be an outstanding chancellor. But as the years have gone by its become apparent that his inability to project himself on TV and his clumsy oratory (he struggles with a stutter which probably doesn't help) is counting against him. Plus the media love to kick a man when he's down, hence people remember his name in a negative light. But he's a good guy, honestly.

Back to your topic, Scottish football isn't ready for drink. We need to change the atmosphere first before bringing alcohol into the equation, not the other way around. Can you imagine the result of adding drink to the equation at Ibrox last Friday?

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Admins, why has this been moved here? Surely it should be merged with the 'Bevvy Coming' thread if it needs to be moved at all?

You've parked it away from where it will get open football-related discussion.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 05:27 PM
I think Ed Balls has the ability to be an outstanding chancellor. But as the years have gone by its become apparent that his inability to project himself on TV and his clumsy oratory (he struggles with a stutter which probably doesn't help) is counting against him. Plus the media love to kick a man when he's down, hence people remember his name in a negative light. But he's a good guy, honestly.

Back to your topic, Scottish football isn't ready for drink. We need to change the atmosphere first before bringing alcohol into the equation, not the other way around. Can you imagine the result of adding drink to the equation at Ibrox last Friday?

Why is Scottish football different from English football?

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:28 PM

Yes, I can imagine it very easily. If you're pi5hed you're not allowed in the ground and that's that. Just needs to be enforced.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Why is Scottish football different from English football, and from Scottish racing, Scottish rugby and T in the Park?

Loads of people get smashed and a number throw urine in plastic glasses around into the crowd, but that's ok somehow :confused:

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 05:37 PM
And the anti drink at grounds brigade are being taken apart very effectively on Radio Scotland right now. Still, let's have another Orwell quote instead of rational debate.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Why is Scottish football different from English football, and from Scottish racing, Scottish rugby and T in the Park?

Loads of people get smashed and a number throw urine in plastic glasses around into the crowd, but that's ok somehow :confused:

I can't see any difference between Scottish football fans, and English ones. If the English are getting smashed and throwing urine in plastic glasses around - I'm out.

Your other examples don't compare apple with apple. And, apart from T in the Park, they just aren't true.

Typical Labour - a race to the bottom. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 05:40 PM
And the anti drink at grounds brigade are being taken apart very effectively on Radio Scotland right now. Still, let's have another Orwell quote instead of rational debate.

:faf:

It was you that brought Orwell into it - by spectacularly getting the wrong end of the stick about the original statement from the government.

hibsbollah
17-02-2015, 05:40 PM

'I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me'.

Hunter S Thompson.

Now if Balls or McElvie said that I'd be impressed.

hibsbollah
17-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Just needs to be enforced.

By Strathcly...sorry, Police Scotland's finest? :faf:

I rest my case m'lord.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2015, 05:45 PM
The question needs to be asked.

Are football fans too thick to understand George Orwell?

"No animal shall drink alcohol to excess".

ps I think the ban should be lifted for a trial period.

hibsbollah
17-02-2015, 05:48 PM
The question needs to be asked.

Are football fans too thick to understand George Orwell?

"No animal shall drink alcohol to excess".

ps I think the ban should be lifted for a trial period.

"two legs bad, legless good".

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 06:12 PM
:faf:

It was you that brought Orwell into it - by spectacularly getting the wrong end of the stick about the original statement from the government.

No, it was the MSP who brought Orwell into it. And it wasn't a statetement from the government it was a twitter post from a back bench SNP MSP. But don't let the facts get in the way.

One Day Soon
17-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I can't see any difference between Scottish football fans, and English ones. If the English are getting smashed and throwing urine in plastic glasses around - I'm out.

Your other examples don't compare apple with apple. And, apart from T in the Park, they just aren't true.

Typical Labour - a race to the bottom. :greengrin

I think you have almost completely misunderstood me, or perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The throwing urine in plastic glasses refers to T in the Park. Why is that ok and therefore alcohol can continue to be sold there but not to Scottish football fans in grounds, was my point.

lord bunberry
17-02-2015, 07:54 PM
What's the chances of going the whole hog, and making Class A drugs available as well? :stirrer:

That's the sort of thinking you just don't get amongst the people running our game. We need to think outside the box and class A drugs could well be the answer. I would restrict it to over 18s though as some people can be a bit funny about their kids smoking crack.

Phil D. Rolls
18-02-2015, 07:29 AM
That's the sort of thinking you just don't get amongst the people running our game. We need to think outside the box and class A drugs could well be the answer. I would restrict it to over 18s though as some people can be a bit funny about their kids smoking crack.

I bet they allow it at the rugby. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what George Orwell's take on that would be though.

Phil D. Rolls
18-02-2015, 07:31 AM

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
18-02-2015, 07:33 AM
No, it was the MSP who brought Orwell into it. And it wasn't a statetement from the government it was a twitter post from a back bench SNP MSP. But don't let the facts get in the way.

OK, I didn't realise she posted on here, but you learn something new every day.

I think you have almost completely misunderstood me, or perhaps I wasn't clear enough. The throwing urine in plastic glasses refers to T in the Park. Why is that ok and therefore alcohol can continue to be sold there but not to Scottish football fans in grounds, was my point.

I definitely think that there is a potential cash generator in this. I wonder what Gary Locke would think. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
18-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Pathetic comment.Only people you agree with who are allowed to wear a Scotland top.What next an oath of allegiance.

Pathetic response. There's a big difference between being allowed to wear a Scotland top and arranging solo political photocalls wearing one.

JeMeSouviens
18-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Presumably Salmond wobbling around with a saltire top hat in Paris with the Tartan Army wasn't at all patronising?

Try engaging with the subject under discussion. Alcohol in grounds - why not?

The subject of alcohol in grounds was already under discussion, but rather than engaging in that thread, you started a new one solely for the purposes of Nat-bashing.

I don't think there would be a problem serving alcohol in grounds at games other than those involving Celtic and Rangers, would you care to have a go at framing that into legislation?

... and fwiw, Salmond looked stupid in his hat and even stupider waving his flag at Wimbledon but his brand of populism pales beside Murphy's naked sell-out hypocrisy, which leaps out from everything he does starting from his days selling out the NUS.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-02-2015, 08:51 AM

It wouldn't be sold at Cat A games though so thinking about a Hibs game at Ibrox is irrelevant! Buying a pint at Hibs v Dumbarton this weekend would not cause anyone any bother.

hibsbollah
18-02-2015, 11:04 AM
It wouldn't be sold at Cat A games though so thinking about a Hibs game at Ibrox is irrelevant! Buying a pint at Hibs v Dumbarton this weekend would not cause anyone any bother.

Why do you think the idea is being floated in the first place? Because its a new income stream for the clubs. And there is not a chance that the alcohol ban will continue for Cat A games, with the vastly highly potential spend possible at these events, while being relaxed for home games vs Dumbarton et al. It defies logic.

If allowing alcohol at games happens, I'll be quite relaxed about it. I usually have a few drinks pregame anyway, so I'm not in a position to be judgmental. But I will be a lot less likely to take the kids along, and I'm sure I won't be alone in that.

Lago
18-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Don't know why everyone is getting so worked up by this, it will never happen our nanny government will make sure of that.

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Why do you think the idea is being floated in the first place? Because its a new income stream for the clubs. And there is not a chance that the alcohol ban will continue for Cat A games, with the vastly highly potential spend possible at these events, while being relaxed for home games vs Dumbarton et al. It defies logic.

If allowing alcohol at games happens, I'll be quite relaxed about it. I usually have a few drinks pregame anyway, so I'm not in a position to be judgmental. But I will be a lot less likely to take the kids along, and I'm sure I won't be alone in that.

Disagree. If it all went smoothly then it might eventually be allowed at Cat A games but no danger would it be immediately. Yeah it's being spoken about as revenue but also because people are, correctly, fed up of being treated differently to all other sport fans. The entire match day experience needs a shake up in this country.

I can't see how folk being able to buy a pint at half time would lead to any more trouble in the family stand than say folk drinking pints on the family floor of BTG pre match?

NAE NOOKIE
18-02-2015, 11:18 AM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

God Petrie
18-02-2015, 11:20 AM

Talking of facts getting in the way, can you clarify if you have read 1984? Because your interpretation of the quote seems to suggest you haven't and are taking offence due to your own ignorance instead of any malice intended by the author of the tweet.

Ricky Bobby
18-02-2015, 11:25 AM

I take my kids along to games. I have also on occasion taken them into the pub before a game and have never felt anything other than relaxed about it. I don't see where the negative implications of people socializing before a social event come from. There has been the odd occasion when leaving the ground i have felt it might be intimidating for the kids ( caused by the usual suspects ) but i don't think that introducing alcohol to stadiums would either increase or decrease the likelihood of this happening

Ross4356
18-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Brilliant news as far as I'm concerned and hopefully only a matter of time

Hearts and Hibs keen for alcohol sale trial

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-keen-for-alcohol-sale-trial-1-3693632

Just Alf
18-02-2015, 11:52 AM

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-keen-for-alcohol-sale-trial-1-3693632

A trial makes a lot of sense, it's not something I'd do regularly but the odd time I'm working and need to go straight to the ground instead of meeting the lads for a pint first I'd have a beer there.... It would be nice to have the option.

Edit: I've noticed that recently a certain paper seems to be much more positive when mentioning Hibs!

ancient hibee
18-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Pathetic response. There's a big difference between being allowed to wear a Scotland top and arranging solo political photocalls wearing one.

Bit like the SNP using our national flag for political purposes I suppose.

Lago
18-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Andy74
18-02-2015, 01:58 PM
The majority of home fans have the option of drinking in Behind the Goals, within the stadium, up to a few minutes before the game starts, including category A games.

Is there an increase in the amount of drunken fans and aggressive behaviour?

In most cases a drink at the stadium would take the place of one that would be taken at the pub anyway, or at most you'd fit in one or two extra in the day.

I don't really see it as any sort of issue, you can have a drink at most forms of entertainment these days - people can also go a couple of hours without a drink at the cinema but many enjoy the choice of being able to do so if they like.

I've been drinking for probably 25 years and haven't fought anybody in that time, if you are going to be an idiot you will do so anyway, if you need alcohol to do it then you will find a way to satisfy that either way.

Alfred E Newman
18-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Spot on.

hhibs
18-02-2015, 02:01 PM

FFS every bloody politician tries to wrap themselves in a flag but heh ho do not let that stop you.

hibs0666
18-02-2015, 02:06 PM
The subject of alcohol in grounds was already under discussion, but rather than engaging in that thread, you started a new one solely for the purposes of Nat-bashing.

I don't think there would be a problem serving alcohol in grounds at games other than those involving Celtic and Rangers, would you care to have a go at framing that into legislation?

... and fwiw, Salmond looked stupid in his hat and even stupider waving his flag at Wimbledon but his brand of populism pales beside Murphy's naked sell-out hypocrisy, which leaps out from everything he does starting from his days selling out the NUS.

Ooooh get you. :greengrin

lord bunberry
18-02-2015, 03:01 PM

Great news! I can't wait to get absolutely hammered at the first game. I plan on drinking that much that I won't remember leaving the stadium. The only problem is that I've got a weak bladder but I suppose I will be that drunk I will probably just piss myself.

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Great news! I can't wait to get absolutely hammered at the first game. I plan on drinking that much that I won't remember leaving the stadium. The only problem is that I've got a weak bladder but I suppose I will be that drunk I will probably just piss myself.

Don't disgrace yourself.

There will always be someone near you with a pocket.

lord bunberry
18-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Don't disgrace yourself.

There will always be someone near you with a pocket.
Good idea:aok:

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Good idea:aok:

Ah, you are clearly a young 'un, who doesn't know the good old days, when such etiquette was the norm. :greengrin

lord bunberry
18-02-2015, 03:58 PM
Ah, you are clearly a young 'un, who doesn't know the good old days, when such etiquette was the norm. :greengrin
:greengrin My first game was 1985 so I probably just missed out on someone pissing in my pocket

CropleyWasGod
18-02-2015, 04:06 PM
:greengrin My first game was 1985 so I probably just missed out on someone pissing in my pocket

I once caught someone using a plastic bottle in front of my son at Hampden. I pointed him out to one of Glasgow's finest, who just rolled his eyes and walked the other way. He probably thought the guy was being pretty polite by using an actual receptacle.... :greengrin

One Day Soon
18-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Talking of facts getting in the way, can you clarify if you have read 1984? Because your interpretation of the quote seems to suggest you haven't and are taking offence due to your own ignorance instead of any malice intended by the author of the tweet.

I certainly have.

In any event this has nothing to do with interpretation. The quote was being used to disparage discussion of the matter at hand - whether or not alcohol sales should be allowed at football matches. She was either implying that football supporters really are easily bought off with a mixture of football, beer and gambling (I don't think that was her intent but who knows?) or she was implying that the proposal to allow alcohol sales - which comes from a variety of quarters, not just the political - was an attempt by those proposers to exploit football fans in the belief that they are easily bought off with football, beer and gambling.

I think we are bright enough to make up our own minds about what we think of the proposal without being patronised in that way.

hibsbollah
18-02-2015, 05:31 PM
I certainly have.

In any event this has nothing to do with interpretation. The quote was being used to disparage discussion of the matter at hand - whether or not alcohol sales should be allowed at football matches. She was either implying that football supporters really are easily bought off with a mixture of football, beer and gambling (I don't think that was her intent but who knows?) or she was implying that the proposal to allow alcohol sales - which comes from a variety of quarters, not just the political - was an attempt by those proposers to exploit football fans in the belief that they are easily bought off with football, beer and gambling.

I think we are bright enough to make up our own minds about what we think of the proposal without being patronised in that way.

You're off topic again.
Ed Balls. Whats your beef?

Phil D. Rolls
18-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I certainly have.

Unless she has said the things you are saying, then it is all about interpretation. Her statement can be taken more than one way, and you feel that this is what she meant.

My interpretation is that she was suggesting Murphy has made a mistake in thinking these things. Again that's her interpretation of what he was saying though.

I have to say, I admire your ability to stick to an argument in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. So far you have reinterpreted George Orwell (wrongly) and put words in the mouth of the woman who sent the tweet.

Any idea who killed the Lindbergh baby?

Lago
18-02-2015, 06:10 PM
FFS every bloody politician tries to wrap themselves in a flag but heh ho do not let that stop you.
Unfortunately the SNP has high jacked the Scottish flag and claimed as tgeir sole preserve.

God Petrie
18-02-2015, 06:49 PM
I certainly have.

Since you've read 1984, I'm sure you'll agree your second interpretation of the tweet is obviously correct. I'd still love to hear your justification for thinking anyone apart from Jim Murphy raised this issue or your justification for thinking a politician would make a reference to a politically themed book without solely referring to the political "proposers".

Stranraer
18-02-2015, 09:43 PM
In my experience there are enough drunk people at games to fill the stadium anyway. As much as I enjoy the away trip to Tynie it is often spoiled my some drunken teenagers.

Cameron1875
18-02-2015, 09:50 PM
In my experience there are enough drunk people at games to fill the stadium anyway. As much as I enjoy the away trip to Tynie it is often spoiled my some drunken teenagers.

In my experience of going to tynie it's always been the 25-35 age bracket that have been the most 'boisterous'.
And I'm not just talking about alcohol.

Unfair to blame the younger ones.

Peevemor
19-02-2015, 05:31 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11007734_651565084967052_5801080505005230015_n.jpg ?oh=43c6677c945df3489ccf60c099c831ad&oe=558E5BA9&__gda__=1435914784_6959c0be245b834b2bed1d648d16999 0

Stranraer
19-02-2015, 10:06 AM
In my experience of going to tynie it's always been the 25-35 age bracket that have been the most 'boisterous'.
And I'm not just talking about alcohol.

Unfair to blame the younger ones.

Aye maybe that was a bit unfair, my apologies, I had the game against the Yams last year in my mind and remember 2 really young lads being arrested.