PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan and Scotland

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Now i might have green tinted specs on here, but in my opinion I think deserves a call up to the Scotland squad against Gibralter. (Surely if Callum Paterson can get a call up in the last squad he can.)

My reasons behind this is that I dont think Scotland have a player like him in the midfield. Scott Brown, Charlie Mulgrew are great in the tackle. Scott Brown, Anya, Shaun Maloney can attack at pace. Darren Fletcher and James Morrison are to pedestrian, always looking for the simple ball, But I think Scott Allans vision at playing a killer pass and composure on the ball offer something that Scotland dont have.

I think Strachan should include him in the next Squad maybe not necessarily play him but he is worth a look. Especially when most of the midfield are all aging players and it is maybe time to start looking at future talent.

TowerHibs
15-02-2015, 11:41 AM
He might get a call up like Paterson did. Strachan likes to get 1 or 2 I to the squad to have a look and then send them on their way.

However, as good as Allan has been, there are other midfielders playing through the UK who are above him in my opinion. Bryson, Russell at Derby for example. Would also disagree with your points on Morrison and Fletcher. We have other players now who provide attacking threat but JM is quite attacking.

Allan needs to concentrate on improving at hibs

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 11:46 AM
He might get a call up like Paterson did. Strachan likes to get 1 or 2 I to the squad to have a look and then send them on their way.

However, as good as Allan has been, there are other midfielders playing through the UK who are above him in my opinion. Bryson, Russell at Derby for example.

I agree to an extent with you Towerhibs that these player are in great form, but Craig Bryson is now 28 ( I know it is not old but he maybe only has a couple of years left to try and force his way into the actual Scotland team) and Johnny Russell is a winger.

J-C
15-02-2015, 11:50 AM
If your championing Allan, you can add McGeouch to this as well, played all levels for Scotland upto U 21's and his form has been very good too.

jdships
15-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Posted this earlier on wrong thread - apologies

The two things that stood out for me in Fridays game at Ibrox were
1 The slide rule pass from Allan to Cummings which led to the first goal.- " a thing of beauty"
2 Watch where Lewis came from to take the pass to score the second goal. He read it superbly with timing perfect

Well done for a great team performance . Poor, poor Rangers side by any standards
:flag:

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 11:58 AM
If your championing Allan, you can add McGeouch to this as well, played all levels for Scotland upto U 21's and his form has been very good too.

You are correct for form. But it is Scott Allans vision that impresses me most. The ability he makes space for himself, looks up and plays an intelligent pass accuratley that a lot of players just cant do.

PeterboroHibee
15-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I like Allan, but its been 6 months of playing well in the Championship. Hes way down the pecking order in terms of the midfielders available for Scotland imo, and the likes of Armstrong and GMS are probably the next in line to have more of an opportunity in the squad.

Calling up Patterson was certainly a strange one by Strachan though, and it does leave the opportunity for fans of other clubs to question why their players arent getting selected.

WillowbraeHibby
15-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Having had a wee look over on the lesser greens site, it appears that Dylan is being noticed by the support there... A couple of comments on how good he is. I just hope that Delia isn't as much impressed as the supporters seem to be..

J-C
15-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Having had a wee look over on the lesser greens site, it appears that Dylan is being noticed by the support there... A couple of comments on how good he is. I just hope that Delia isn't as much impressed as the supporters seem to be..

With them signing Armstrong, and having Brown/McGregor/Johansen/Bitton etc all ahead of him, I'd think we had a good chance to sign him.

PeterboroHibee
15-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Even playing well I cant see McGeouch getting offered a deal. Looking at their squad, they have 15 guys who would have a case for playing in midfield, which is quite a lot! Admittedly some of them may leave in the summer, but I cant see a future for someone who didnt cost them anything, and with other younger players coming through.

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to get a spot in the starting 11 or on the bench.

It's be a waste of everyone's time calling him up

WillowbraeHibby
15-02-2015, 12:10 PM
With them signing Armstrong, and having Brown/McGregor/Johansen/Bitton etc all ahead of him, I'd think we had a good chance to sign him.

I sincerely hope so J-C. :aok: (I believe that Celtic have a 12 month option on him... If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected).

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 12:11 PM
I like Allan, but its been 6 months of playing well in the Championship. Hes way down the pecking order in terms of the midfielders available for Scotland imo, and the likes of Armstrong and GMS are probably the next in line to have more of an opportunity in the squad.

Calling up Patterson was certainly a strange one by Strachan though, and it does leave the opportunity for fans of other clubs to question why their players arent getting selected.

GMS is a winger again. What I am probably saying is that we have an lot of good young players that are all very similar. Wingers good at beating a man with pace, however Allan has that something a little different in a different position. I just think he would be a worthy inclusion in the Scotland Squad (again not to play) but for Strachan to have a look at because at the moment I cant see a lot of Central Midfielders that can replace the current crop of players.

I remember when Craig Brown was manager of Scotland, but we didnt seem to prepare well when the older players retired such as Gary McCallister, John Collins, Colin Hendry, Tom Boyd and we were left with holes in the team. I believe this is the reason Scotland were left behind in the international footballing world.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2015, 12:13 PM
I don't think he's playing well enough at the moment to get a call up right now.

However he certainly has the talent to play for Scotland.

Zazu62
15-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to get a spot in the starting 11 or on the bench.

Aye right then

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-02-2015, 12:15 PM
He deserves it but I don't think it will happen, at this time at least. With potentially a cup run and 6 play off games, I'm happy for him just to concentrate his efforts on Hibs tbh

J-C
15-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I sincerely hope so J-C. :aok: (I believe that Celtic have a 12 month option on him... If I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected).

Don't think they have, his last contract was extended by a year which he was happy to sign but he's been punted out on loan last two years.

From 05-08 he was with Celtic, he then went to Rangers from 08-11 when he went back to Celtic, maybe he's seen as not being Celtic minded because of thet we move over the the blue side.

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Aye right then

Who's he better than & would take their place?

WillowbraeHibby
15-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Don't think they have, his last contract was extended by a year which he was happy to sign but he's been punted out on loan last two years.

From 05-08 he was with Celtic, he then went to Rangers from 08-11 when he went back to Celtic, maybe he's seen as not being Celtic minded because of thet we move over the the blue side.

Cheers J-C, best he just stays with Hibs then (Hopefully)... :greengrin

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 12:18 PM

I dont think it would be a waste of time. I agree that that he should not start. However I think young players can learn a lot of players like Scott Brown, Darren Fletcher, Shaun Maloney who have been good professionals and role models on and off the pitch and have conducted themselves correctly throughout their careers.

Back to it though I do think he is good enough to get into the squad again my reason is that he offers something different to the other youngesters coming through.

J-C
15-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Cheers J-C, best he just stays with Hibs then (Hopefully)... :greengrin

I think what happens at the end of the season re play offs will determine who stays and who goes, we could potentially have a top squad in the SPFL next season or it could easily be a small rebuilding for another go at getting up in top spot.

WillowbraeHibby
15-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I think what happens at the end of the season re play offs will determine who stays and who goes, we could potentially have a top squad in the SPFL next season or it could easily be a small rebuilding for another go at getting up in top spot.

Aye... I suppose at the end of the day, every one of the support have this on their minds, will we, or won't we go up. I agree that if we don't, it will no doubt be another rebuild job for AS. And as you say, we will be in not a bad position if we do go up, with regards the squad we have.

Time will tell J-C, and we will all crack on supporting the club whatever... :flag:

Zazu62
15-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Who's he better than & would take their place?

Are people not allowed to get a call up for their country ?

PeterboroHibee
15-02-2015, 12:34 PM
GMS is a winger again. What I am probably saying is that we have an lot of good young players that are all very similar. Wingers good at beating a man with pace, however Allan has that something a little different in a different position. I just think he would be a worthy inclusion in the Scotland Squad (again not to play) but for Strachan to have a look at because at the moment I cant see a lot of Central Midfielders that can replace the current crop of players.

I remember when Craig Brown was manager of Scotland, but we didnt seem to prepare well when the older players retired such as Gary McCallister, John Collins, Colin Hendry, Tom Boyd and we were left with holes in the team. I believe this is the reason Scotland were left behind in the international footballing world.

But the point is there are quite a few players already in line to receive call ups in a team where we have lots of options. Whilst I think Strachan could make better use of friendlies (actually given younger guys a chance beyond calling them up), he is still including guys like Gauld, Mcleod etc in the squads, and Robertson is first choice LB now, so he is prepared to give people a chance if they are good enough.

I dont think anyone would disagree that Allan has been very good this season, and he may well end up in the Scotland team in the future, but its far too early for him now. He needs to focus on playing well for a club side over the next few years.

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 12:43 PM
But the point is there are quite a few players already in line to receive call ups in a team where we have lots of options. Whilst I think Strachan could make better use of friendlies (actually given younger guys a chance beyond calling them up), he is still including guys like Gauld, Mcleod etc in the squads, and Robertson is first choice LB now, so he is prepared to give people a chance if they are good enough.

I dont think anyone would disagree that Allan has been very good this season, and he may well end up in the Scotland team in the future, but its far too early for him now. He needs to focus on playing well for a club side over the next few years.

Again I can see your point of view and under Strachan we seem to be changing the way a Scotland team is selected. Where as before it was the same faces (maybe different under Bertie Vogts where he tried every player that once had a Haggis Supper.).

I just think that Allans very good form should be rewarded but that should go for all youngsters that show good form. I am also optimistic about Scotlands future with the amount of young talent coming through and believe that Strachan is the best man for the job to lead Scotland with the talent at his disposal.

J-C
15-02-2015, 12:45 PM

I think the fact McLeod was called up after 1 good game should make Allan's case even stronger given that he's been doing that all season.

Cod Boy
15-02-2015, 01:07 PM
Matt Done for a England cap

Aldo
15-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Now i might have green tinted specs on here, but in my opinion I think deserves a call up to the Scotland squad against Gibralter. (Surely if Callum Paterson can get a call up in the last squad he can.) My reasons behind this is that I dont think Scotland have a player like him in the midfield. Scott Brown, Charlie Mulgrew are great in the tackle. Scott Brown, Anya, Shaun Maloney can attack at pace. Darren Fletcher and James Morrison are to pedestrian, always looking for the simple ball, But I think Scott Allans vision at playing a killer pass and composure on the ball offer something that Scotland dont have. I think Strachan should include him in the next Squad maybe not necessarily play him but he is worth a look. Especially when most of the midfield are all aging players and it is maybe time to start looking at future talent.

Morrisons goal yesterday was far from pedestrian. Had an excellent game v WHU and is pretty much a cert to start for WBA every week.

I like Morrison however like you say if Paterson can make the squad then there should be nothing stopping Strachan picking him.

gloryglory1875
15-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Morrisons goal yesterday was far from pedestrian. Had an excellent game v WHU and is pretty much a cert to start for WBA every week.

I like Morrison however like you say if Paterson can make the squad then there should be nothing stopping Strachan picking him.

I have nothing against Morrison or any players mentioned. I like Morrison as a player however I dont think he offers anything different to the other Midfielders in the Scotland Squad. Even if you look at the hibs team and you took McGeoch and Allan out of the team you would wonder where the creativity would come from. Yes we have been playing well but Allan to me is the one that is most likely to make something happen. There is a lots ways you can describe a creative player for example beat a man, hit the byline, cross. However what I mean with Allan si he offers something a little different. He has vision and composure that not a lot of footballers have that come from Scotland. Bar Celtic, I think he would walk into any team in Scotland.

Maybe I am wrong, but I just see something there that a lot footballers dont possess. He sees a pass or opportunity that other players dont see.

Aldo
15-02-2015, 01:39 PM
I have nothing against Morrison or any players mentioned. I like Morrison as a player however I dont think he offers anything different to the other Midfielders in the Scotland Squad. Even if you look at the hibs team and you took McGeoch and Allan out of the team you would wonder where the creativity would come from. Yes we have been playing well but Allan to me is the one that is most likely to make something happen. There is a lots ways you can describe a creative player for example beat a man, hit the byline, cross. However what I mean with Allan si he offers something a little different. He has vision and composure that not a lot of footballers have that come from Scotland. Bar Celtic, I think he would walk into any team in Scotland. Maybe I am wrong, but I just see something there that a lot footballers dont possess. He sees a pass or opportunity that other players dont see.

I know what your saying but it's all about consistency and at a higher level for me... Which Morrison has done. Allan just needs to keep plugging away and get consistent and then he may stand a chance.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 01:47 PM
I'll get ripped apart for this but he'll need to lose a bit weight and work hard on his fitness if he's going to make it at international level.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 01:49 PM

It wasn't that strange really. He has a few u21 caps and there were loads of injuries at right back at the time he was called up.

Hibby Bairn
15-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Not going to happen.

J-C
15-02-2015, 02:09 PM
I'll get ripped apart for this but he'll need to lose a bit weight and work hard on his fitness if he's going to make it at international level.

You do know he's diabetic which makes it all the more harder for him to be a top athlete, to get to the level he has speaks volumes for his dedication, personally he looks fit enough, quite a chunky shape to him.

PeeJay
15-02-2015, 02:10 PM
He's got great vision and talent, but he's currently delivering in the Championship only! He needs to become more consistent, perform for a whole game and do it all at the higher level before there can be any genuine case made for him joining the Scotland squad ...

Speedy
15-02-2015, 02:40 PM
You do know he's diabetic which makes it all the more harder for him to be a top athlete, to get to the level he has speaks volumes for his dedication, personally he looks fit enough, quite a chunky shape to him.

It had been mentioned on here before, yes.

From what I've seen he tends to struggle to last the whole game. I don't know if that's diabetes related or not but that's largely irrelevant, if you struggle to last 90 minutes then it'll be very difficult to make it at international level.

J-C
15-02-2015, 03:13 PM
It had been mentioned on here before, yes.

From what I've seen he tends to struggle to last the whole game. I don't know if that's diabetes related or not but that's largely irrelevant, if you struggle to last 90 minutes then it'll be very difficult to make it at international level.

This could all be dependent on his blood sugar levels which for a diabetic is the most important thing to control, he's still fairly young but will have other athletes to look toward for advise plus the club doctor.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 03:23 PM
This could all be dependent on his blood sugar levels which for a diabetic is the most important thing to control, he's still fairly young but will have other athletes to look toward for advse plus the club doctor.

Hopefully it's something he can resolve. He's clearly got a lot of ability.

SmashinGlass
15-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Hopefully it's something he can resolve. He's clearly got a lot of ability.

As a diabetic myself, it's unfortunately something that can't be resolved. As previously mentioned, it speaks volumes for him to have made a career a professional sportsperson. With regards to his weight, the unfortunate thing for us diabetics is that the only form of treatment available is a significant cause of weight gain in itself.

Alex Trager
15-02-2015, 05:12 PM

However, as good as Allan has been, there are other midfielders playing through the UK who are above him in my opinion. Bryson, Russell at Derby for example. Would also disagree with your points on Morrison and Fletcher. We have other players now who provide attacking threat but JM is quite attacking.

Allan needs to concentrate on improving at hibs

I think james Morrison is a rubbish player.
He never does anything in a game. Has no say at all. Yet seems to always play for Scotland.

I think he's bang average. Truly.

That's all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
15-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Scored a 25 yarder yesterday and was constantly involved.

H18 SFR
15-02-2015, 08:03 PM
There is a massive difference between playing against Rangers, Alloa, Dumbarton and the like and international football. I'd be shocked if he got called up.

Speedy
15-02-2015, 08:42 PM
As a diabetic myself, it's unfortunately something that can't be resolved. As previously mentioned, it speaks volumes for him to have made a career a professional sportsperson. With regards to his weight, the unfortunate thing for us diabetics is that the only form of treatment available is a significant cause of weight gain in itself.

That is unfortunate and makes my original post looks really harsh.

It'll be a shame if diabetes prevents him having a proper go at an international career. Let's hope that's not the case.

J-C
15-02-2015, 10:13 PM
There is a massive difference between playing against Rangers, Alloa, Dumbarton and the like and international football. I'd be shocked if he got called up.

But it's ok for Lewis McLeod to get a Scotland call up while playing for The Rangers and in the same league, I despair at times when people open their mouths without thinking.

H18 SFR
15-02-2015, 10:33 PM
But it's ok for Lewis McLeod to get a Scotland call up while playing for The Rangers and in the same league, I despair at times when people open their mouths without thinking.

At no point did I say it was ok for Lewis McLeod, your despair was premature, I'd say exactly the same thing re McLeod.

J-C
15-02-2015, 10:37 PM
At no point did I say it was ok for Lewis McLeod, your despair was premature, I'd say exactly the same thing re McLeod.

But you can understand why people are saying he may be good enough for a call up when Strachan called up McLeod and Paterson to the Scotland squad, Allan is twice the player these two are.

SteveHFC
16-02-2015, 12:20 AM
If McLeod can get called up surely Allan can?

Paterson was called-up due to his performances in the under 21's.

Danderhall Hibs
16-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Robertson as well.

Nutmegged
16-02-2015, 06:30 AM
I think at first glance you say to yourself "Allan for Scotland....Pure green tint bias" but when you think about it then its not the worst or most ridiculous shouts, forget Callum Paterson, thats an entirely different position and we probably needed the cover for that game, looking at our midfield though, Strachan did select Lewis MacLeod for his squad and while I never believed he'd use him in the match he definitely wanted to integrate him into the squad, I could see this actually happeningnwith Scotty, the lad is a pure talent, still has a bit to learn but for me is already further ahead in his development than MacLeod