PDA

View Full Version : It's finally going to happen!

Pretty Boy
14-02-2015, 07:39 PM
About 5 years late but who cares? I can't wait.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/manny-pacquiao/11413250/Manny-Pacquiao-and-Floyd-Mayweather-agree-160m-Las-Vegas-mega-fight.html

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Doesn't sound 100% finalised. Mayweather hasn't agreed according to the telegraph, the only source so far.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Doesn't sound 100% finalised. Mayweather hasn't agreed according to the telegraph, the only source so far.

I think it will happen. Especially as they have met face to face a couple of times now.

I think Floyd knows it's worth too much both financially and for his legacy not to take the fight. There is no other fight out there for him that isn't either openly a fight for him to win (unlike his last few which have been tough) or carry a huge risk eg a rejuvenated and improved Amir Khan.

NOLA
14-02-2015, 08:35 PM
a fight mayweather would have lost a few years ago but pacmans power has waned, still a nice payday for both guys though :rolleyes: this is a fight i would have happily payed for previously but i just feel its a cynical money grabber as both fighters head toward retirement, its a nothanks from me.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2015, 08:48 PM
a fight mayweather would have lost a few years ago but pacmans power has waned, still a nice payday for both guys though :rolleyes: this is a fight i would have happily payed for previously but i just feel its a cynical money grabber as both fighters head toward retirement, its a nothanks from me.

I read this a lot but I don't see it.

Mayweather beat Castillo twice, once disputed, once clearly. He was arguably the best liggtweight of his generation and was supremely fast and cut the ring superbly in his prime.

He destroyed Marquez, one of the nost technically sound fighters going. A guy who has drawn with and beat Pacquaio.

He's beaten Cotto and Gurerro. Both bigger, stronger guys.

He beat Hatton who had phenomenal foot speed.

Gatti, a real warrior.

He beat De La Hoya easily, despite the ridiculous scorecards, who used the exact tactics Roach always said would beat Mayweather.

Judah, Coralles, Alvarez, Moseley Sosa, Corley, Baldomir......

Almost all were tipped as the man to beat Mayweather and with the exception of Castillo, none got close.

I'd have taken Mayweather to beat Pacquaio at any time in the last 5 years and still see that being the case now. History will be far kinder to Mayweather than current pundits and fans. They want to see guys like Pacquaio who are brilliant but flawed and who are always in battles. Mayweather boxes, boxes and boxes again. He isn't always exciting to watch for a casual observer and that leads to accusations that he's boring or a runner or whatever. It also leads to a belief that the next man will be the one to beat him and yet it never happens or really even looks like happening.

It's probably worth remembering as well that Floyd has had far tougher opponents than Pacquaio in recent years.

Ortiz
Cotto
Guerrero
Alvarez
Maidana x 2

Versus

Bradley (loss)
Marquez (loss)
Rios
Bradley
Algieri

Haymaker
15-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Mayweather will beat pac.

In my opinion Fmj is the greatest boxer of his generation. If not of all time.

HibsMax
15-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Mayweather will beat pac.

In my opinion Fmj is the greatest boxer of his generation. If not of all time.

Better than Tom Brady? C'mon.

I'll get ma coat

Haymaker
16-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Better than Tom Brady? C'mon.

I'll get ma coat

:greengrin

Mikey
20-02-2015, 10:44 PM
It's on......

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/feb/20/its-mayweather-says-he-and-pacquiao-fight-may-2/

Pretty Boy - Are you going? :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
20-02-2015, 11:18 PM
4 or 5 years ago it would have really interested me as I saw it as 51% Floyd 49% Manny and a close fight, now there is only one winner in my book, mayweather will win fairly comfortably

The_Exile
21-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Boxing has always been, and always will be, my favourite sport. If there's one thing I've learnt about this game, it's that even the most certain outcome is NEVER guaranteed. Write off the pacman at your peril.............having shared my obvious wisdom..........Floyd stoppage before the 9th round :greengrin

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 07:48 AM
It's on......

lasvegassun.com/news/2015/feb/20/its-mayweather-says-he-and-pacquiao-fight-may-2

Pretty Boy - Are you going? :greengrin

I'd love to but unlikely.

I still think this is an interesting fight. I have a feeling Floyd might feel he has to go for the stoppage or at least a convincing win. The fact a judge scored his comfortable win against Alvarez a draw and the scare Maidana gave him in tue 1st fight might just make him worry his style won't catch the eye of the judges in the same way Pacquaios flurries will. Even if 90% of them are blocked, as in the Mayweather-DeLa Hoya fight, judges can be swayed by both volume of punches and the volume of the crowd.

lord bunberry
21-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I can't wait for it. I'm 40 the day before and I'll most likely be having a party on the 2nd so it will be a great weekend. They reckon it will be the richest fight in history making an estimated £162m.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 11:05 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/31133135

hibbymick
21-02-2015, 06:38 PM
I reckon pac will win this .

lord bunberry
21-02-2015, 07:09 PM
I reckon pac will win this .
I want him to win but I wonder if the fight has come to late for him. Mayweather will rightly go down as one of the all time greats and pac imo isn't as good as he was.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 07:16 PM
I want him to win but I wonder if the fight has come to late for him. Mayweather will rightly go down as one of the all time greats and pac imo isn't as good as he was.

I'm not sure Mayweather is either tbh.

There was definitely signs against Maidana that the speed wasn't quite what it was.

I think the fight hinges on Mayweathers ability to adapt. He's probably the greatest tactical technician in a boxing ring since Pernell Whittaker in his prime. I can see Mayweather taking the 1st round or 2, Pacquaio coming into it then Floyd adjusting and counterpunching from hidden angles as he loves to do and winning a tight decision.

However if the mind is willing but the body isn't then it's there for the taking for Pacquaio imo.

lord bunberry
21-02-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure Mayweather is either tbh.

There was definitely signs against Maidana that the speed wasn't quite what it was.

I think the fight hinges on Mayweathers ability to adapt. He's probably the greatest tactical technician in a boxing ring since Pernell Whittaker in his prime. I can see Mayweather taking the 1st round or 2, Pacquaio coming into it then Floyd adjusting and counterpunching from hidden angles as he loves to do and winning a tight decision.

However if the mind is willing but the body isn't then it's there for the taking for Pacquaio imo.
I just wonder if Pacquaio can still produce his best. Mayweather could still despite recent disapointing displays produce a career defining display and I'm not convinced Pacquaio can. I think Mayweather has shown he's got the ability to adapt and find a way to win. I'm hoping Pacquaios all action style can upset Mayweathers rhythm as I can't really remember a fight when Mayweather has been in serious trouble.

Pretty Boy
21-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I just wonder if Pacquaio can still produce his best. Mayweather could still despite recent disapointing displays produce a career defining display and I'm not convinced Pacquaio can. I think Mayweather has shown he's got the ability to adapt and find a way to win. I'm hoping Pacquaios all action style can upset Mayweathers rhythm as I can't really remember a fight when Mayweather has been in serious trouble.

The first Castillo fight, a wobbly minute in the 2nd round v Moseley when he took 2 massive shots and the first couple of rounds v Maidana (1st fight) are the only times I can recall Floyd ever being in what looked like real trouble.

The_Exile
04-03-2015, 08:34 PM
Apparently, HBO and Showtime will be charging punters $99 (£65) for this on pay-per-view. Wonder how Sky will price it for us? Heard that BT Sport are/have made a bid for it?

Haymaker
04-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Apparently, HBO and Showtime will be charging punters $99 (£65) for this on pay-per-view. Wonder how Sky will price it for us? Heard that BT Sport are/have made a bid for it?

Easily £65+

lord bunberry
05-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Easily £65+
I can't see them charging that much. I hope not anyway:greengrin

The_Exile
05-03-2015, 12:44 PM
They've never gone above £20 for a PPV event, and nor should they considering the amount they charge every month for "Sports".

HH81
05-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Someone at work who likes boxing reckons they are going to charge 70quid ish.

Would anyone pay this?

Pretty Boy
05-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Would anyone pay this?

I would.

It would be a ridiculous price tag for a minority sporting event but it's a fight I've wanted to see for years, this generations Fraser v Ali, Hagler v Hearns, Leonard v Duran So I'd pay it.

FWIW I reckon even with a bidding war it will 'only' be about £30 max.

Haymaker
05-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Would anyone pay this?

I would. Reckon I can get 10 mates round to share the cost to be honest.

lord bunberry
06-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Another thing to remember when comparing how much they'll be paying to watch the fight in the US and here is the time it's on TV. £70 to watch something that's on at 4am is only going to appeal to hardcore fight fans. Whoever shows the fight will want to price it to sell as many subscriptions as possible.

NOLA
11-03-2015, 09:28 PM
seen highlights of the press conference today and mayweather looks alot bigger physically, has he had trouble making the weight before?

Pretty Boy
11-03-2015, 10:13 PM
seen highlights of the press conference today and mayweather looks alot bigger physically, has he had trouble making the weight before?

Not really. He's pretty consistent at between 145 and 147lbs. For all the bling and showmanship he's a supreme athlete and a total gym rat, his weight is consistent between fights and he's not the type to blow up. Welterweight is probably his optimum weight now although he has fought at higher.

NOLA
11-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Not really. He's pretty consistent at between 145 and 147lbs. For all the bling and showmanship he's a supreme athlete and a total gym rat, his weight is consistent between fights and he's not the type to blow up. Welterweight is probably his optimum weight now although he has fought at higher.
thanks, just seeing them together pacman looks like he should be fighting at a lower weight and flloyd at a bigger one :greengrin

The_Exile
12-03-2015, 11:17 PM
The level these two guys have been operating at for the best part of 2 decades means weight will make **** all difference. Especially round about 140-150 pounds. They can both hit hard and that's all that matters. Cannae wait :greengrin

Frazerbob
13-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Jimmy Lennon Jr and Michael Buffer both working the fight. First time since Lewis v Tyson. Shows how big this fight is!