PDA

View Full Version : was last night a turning point ?

rotherhamrob
14-02-2015, 12:48 PM
I say this from a mentality point of view because lets be honest, hibs teams of the recent past who played as poorly as that would have been gubbed. I think the confidence the team could get from last night could be crucial come the play offs

14-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Hugh psychological boost for us and hopefully another huge psychological battering for the huns. Hopefully last night has knocked any sort of morale out of the huns (if they even had any to start with) and they start to slide further.

MSK
14-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I say this from a mentality point of view because lets be honest, hibs teams of the recent past who played as poorly as that would have been gubbed. I think the confidence the team could get from last night could be crucial come the play offsWhat did stand out for me was the difference in fitness between the two teams, I noticed Boyd, Miller, Zaliukas etc all blowing quite early into the second half ..whereas we had guys such as Stevenson, one minute defending in his own box, a few seconds later he is smashing one in at the other end ..same goes for Robertson, the guy was everywhere last night...add Gray to the mix too ...we had players out there who took a hell of a clattering but at the end ...they were all still standing ...so on fitness alone ..we won that battle ..:agree:

Onion
14-02-2015, 01:12 PM
IMO last night was massive. So often in the past, Hibs teams have gone into these types of pressure games and failed miserably - not because of their footballing ability but their mentality. The players showed real character and got the breaks/reward they deserved.

IMO in lots of ways last night's result trumps even the 4-0 match. Proud to be a Hibby :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
14-02-2015, 01:17 PM
I think the turning point in our season was when Stubbs originally changed to the 3-5-2 and we beat Ross Co and Rangers away in our next two matches.

Although the 4-4-2 with the midfield diamond has been an even more successful formation, something changed after the initial change to 3-5-2, the football was much better, we looked much more confident, and we defended really well.

We lost five of our first eight matches - since then we've lost twice in 24 matches, a defeat on penalties to Dundee Utd, and a last minute loss at Falkirk.

Last night we did something we haven't had to do in any other game this season - we were on the back foot for much of the game and had possession dominated by our opposition - but we defended well and produced moments of quality to win the game.

cabbageandribs1875
14-02-2015, 01:21 PM
wouldn't it be great if we could play the buns in the SF of the SC

then again in the Final :greengrin it would finally pacify me after that marathon against them in 1979 the ****s

TowerHibs
14-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Possibly a turning point. No doubt the team will be buzzing knowing that they don't have to play well and win. Pressure is on the team to always play attractive football and win. Well know the manager should ram it down their throats that winning is more important!!! Sometime play deep and let our quality cone through rather than force the issue.

I think as a support we need to keep the head if someone plays poor or we don't get the result we are looking for we are coming into the business end of the season and a supportive crowd goes a long way when the team are nervous

B.H.F.C
14-02-2015, 02:01 PM
I think the difference is that in the big games like last night we keep our concentration defensively.

Sub consciously, I think they let it slip against the lesser teams. Falkirk and Raith are the recent examples where we've switched off when we were in the lead. We've lost some ridiculously simple goals in games like that from hopeful balls in to the box. Last night we seemed to have a body in the way every time a ball broke loose in the box.

ancient hibee
14-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't think we played poorly at all.Clearly the idea was to play deeper and let them have the ball in midfield while we relied on long balls to stretch them.The gamble was whether they were good enough to do anything about it-they weren't.

Forza Fred
14-02-2015, 02:15 PM
I posted immediately after we scored that our mental strength would be tested.

Well, we stood up and passed that test.

Superb grittiness displayed, which previously would not have been on show.

A very impressive victory

HoboHarry
14-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Last night was the fruit bearing of the turning point which happened many weeks ago in my opinion.

PatHead
14-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Turned to my mate at the end of the game and said that is the type of performance that will win us the cup this year............and I mean it.

Bristolhibby
15-02-2015, 08:35 AM
I guess we'll find out on Saturday and the week after.

Please no more draws at ER!

J

Steve20
15-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Turned to my mate at the end of the game and said that is the type of performance that will win us the cup this year............and I mean it.

We should be favs for the playoffs but there's no way we are winning the cup.

Unseen work
15-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I see threads like this every so often after a good win.

In reality we normally end up chucking away a last minute goal in a couple of weeks time to draw or lose a game.

To turn completely turn we need to consistently do it against lesser teams that will try snatch it