PDA

View Full Version : Are we regressing? Did we peak too early?

SanFranHibs
14-02-2015, 11:37 AM
3-1 at Ibrox, then 4-0 at ER, yet we can only score 2 last night?

Are we on the skids?

:wink:

A frustrating performance in some ways, especially the way we just gave the ball away cheaply pretty much from the 30th minute on. AS said post match, we can't expect to play free flowing football every match but I wonder how much we were playing Rangers into a game by gifting them possession.

That said, we also have to acknowledge and appreciate that this Hibs team showed a battling spirit last night and were determined not to concede. A gutsy win with evidence of growing confidence in different areas inclusing Robertson taking himself into the box to be in the right place and of course when we could have completely shut up shop, we find Stevenson near the opponents 6 yard box in the last ten minutes striking a sweet finish to sew up an important victory.

This spirit might be the most useful asset come playoff time!

:flag:

--------
14-02-2015, 11:43 AM
3-1 at Ibrox, then 4-0 at ER, yet we can only score 2 last night?

Are we on the skids?

:wink:

A frustrating performance in some ways, especially the way we just gave the ball away cheaply pretty much from the 30th minute on. AS said post match, we can't expect to play free flowing football every match but I wonder how much we were playing Rangers into a game by gifting them possession.

That said, we also have to acknowledge and appreciate that this Hibs team showed a battling spirit last night and were determined not to concede. A gutsy win with evidence of growing confidence in different areas inclusing Robertson taking himself into the box to be in the right place and of course when we could have completely shut up shop, we find Stevenson near the opponents 6 yard box in the last ten minutes striking a sweet finish to sew up an important victory.

This spirit might be the most useful asset come playoff time!

:flag:

In what way exactly is a 2-0 win at Ibrox worse than winning 3-1?

Rangers were putting the welly in heavily, and the players dealt with that and won well in the end. GGTTH.

14-02-2015, 11:48 AM
ONLY 2 GOALS THIS TIME! STUBBS OUT! SACK THE BOARD! ABSOLUTE DISGRACE :grr::protest:

:greengrin

Nah seriously though, yes it wasn't the great display of football we saw in the 4-0 game at ER but we dug deep and got the result. We didn't play that great but still scored 2 goals and kept a clean sheet - not bad at all !

Stubbs has built a solid team. Butchers team would have crumbled under that sort of pressure last night! We kept tight and caught them on the break.

SanFranHibs
14-02-2015, 11:49 AM
In what way exactly is a 2-0 win at Ibrox worse than winning 3-1?

Rangers were putting the welly in heavily, and the players dealt with that and won well in the end. GGTTH.

The reference to the score was said tongue in cheek, hence the :wink: although if you want to be pedantic then 3-1 followed by 4-0 then 2-0would be a regression if 4-0 was the 'peak'

The point I was making was the battling spirit in evidence which I really believe will stand us in good stead come May.

Baader
14-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Winning is all that matters for us. On last nights evidence we can grind out a result when not playing to the best of our capability.

WestCoastHibby
14-02-2015, 12:07 PM
It seems some folk are never happy. I'm just happy that the tables have turned on the huns. How many times over the years have Rangers played crap but still taken away the points?? They always got the breaks, refs were **** scared of penalising them and they basically got away with it.
We got some luck last night and saw out a victory where before we would have shat our pants and crumbled. I am so on board with the new Stubbs regime that I really feel we can see second place out.
I'll never forget the time we were cuffing Rangers at Easter rd and Mark Hately took a free kick with a ball that was still rolling , McCoist scores and they then went on to turn the tables and beat us 3-2 I think it was.
They were jammy twats that day but things are a wee bit different now!! I love it

Ronniekirk
14-02-2015, 01:19 PM
The reference to the score was said tongue in cheek, hence the :wink: although if you want to be pedantic then 3-1 followed by 4-0 then 2-0would be a regression if 4-0 was the 'peak'

The point I was making was the battling spirit in evidence which I really believe will stand us in good stead come May.
Yep ,and your point is correct .we need to be able to battle and show spirit in some games and last night was the perfect example ,but yet we could still break and score a goal that was quality I'm its incisive passing cutting them open and the exquisite chip to Stevenson was class .

--------
14-02-2015, 01:26 PM

I knew that, and I have to apologise for missing out a :wink: of my own.

No offence intended at all - and I agree. It's one thing to win when the other lot play badly and we're on song; another entirely when the Huns are kicking lumps out of us and we're struggling to find our form.

Truth is, the only half-dozen decent bits of football last night were played by Hibs, but they kept going for the full 90 plus and that's a refreshing change from the last few seasons.

SanFranHibs
14-02-2015, 10:05 PM
I knew that, and I have to apologise for missing out a :wink: of my own.

No offence intended at all - and I agree. It's one thing to win when the other lot play badly and we're on song; another entirely when the Huns are kicking lumps out of us and we're struggling to find our form.

Truth is, the only half-dozen decent bits of football last night were played by Hibs, but they kept going for the full 90 plus and that's a refreshing change from the last few seasons.

No offence taken. I think we all have the same attitude. Good to see a Hibs team fighting it out in the trenches. And as far as your missing :wink:.... it is wonderful...we might even be in line for a Nobel prize as we have 'discovered' the missing wink :wink:

Bostonhibby
14-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Yes but it's always the same late Saturday after a good win, a curry and several beers. I don't blame HIbs

Forza Fred
14-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Yes but it's always the same late Saturday after a good win, a curry and several beers. I don't blame HIbs

Yep, my routine too.

And no it's not curried kangaroo.

The return of the spring in the step when going to work on Mondays has also been noticed of late:thumbsup:

monktonharp
14-02-2015, 10:53 PM
We were under pressure last night, and it must be remembered that the Rangers had 3 distinct advantages, before a ba' was kicked. they were at home, they had nae Mc Culloch, and their regular goalie was missing :wink:, so we did quite well, considering:greengrin

Bostonhibby
14-02-2015, 11:06 PM
We were under pressure last night, and it must be remembered that the Rangers had 3 distinct advantages, before a ba' was kicked. they were at home, they had nae Mc Culloch, and their regular goalie was missing :wink:, so we did quite well, considering:greengrin

:agree: Especially when the BBC stats gave them so many shots on target(?) and the ex motherwell guy who used to be slower than a Skegness beach donkey that's just had its 3rd pizza (craigan?) gave us no credit as usual.

I was delighted we just nabbed the 2 then stopped - there's a better football team to play next week so a breather is always welcome.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Yep, my routine too.

And no it's not curried kangaroo.

The return of the spring in the step when going to work on Mondays has also been noticed of late:thumbsup:

They cook them first now though don't they? :greengrin

southern hibby
15-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Can't say what AS game plan was before the game started can only guess ( as we all can ), however it was a very very solid defensive game from Hibs.

We went to a team above us I'n the league who have beaten us at their ground this season and lost to us too. Could we have played better yes however our two goals were scored from breakaways.

A.S. Has our team playing good football with a belief amoung the fans we can win games. When was the last time the majority of fans thought we would win a game I'n Glagow only to be let down??

We have played a lot better this season and been beat, if we keep progressing under Stubbsy we can achieve a football team we can be truly proud I'n. Infact I predict under Stubbs attendances will start to rise ( watch this space ).

GGTTH

Sir David Gray
15-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Can't say what AS game plan was before the game started can only guess ( as we all can ), however it was a very very solid defensive game from Hibs.

We went to a team above us I'n the league who have beaten us at their ground this season and lost to us too. Could we have played better yes however our two goals were scored from breakaways.

A.S. Has our team playing good football with a belief amoung the fans we can win games. When was the last time the majority of fans thought we would win a game I'n Glagow only to be let down??

We have played a lot better this season and been beat, if we keep progressing under Stubbsy we can achieve a football team we can be truly proud I'n. Infact I predict under Stubbs attendances will start to rise ( watch this space ).

GGTTH

Sorry to take this thread off topic but is there any reason why you spell the word "in" as "I'n"? :confused:

Is it one of these predictive text things?

I've wondered that for a while now as it's quite strange.

speedy_gonzales
15-02-2015, 12:28 PM
A.S. Has our team playing good football with a belief amoung the fans we can win games.
Belief?? He's got the much maligned Lewis Stevenson running on to perfectly weighted lobs in to the box then volleying in to the back of the net,,,,,that's not belief,,,,,that's black magic voodoo match play.
I had to rewind the TiVo on Friday night, my head couldn't believe what my eyes had just witnessed, even though I knew he had been just been subbed I thought it was Allan that had ran on and scored, no WAY could Louis do that!
Whatever it is, I'm loving it!

Phil D. Rolls
15-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Recovery doesn't happen in a straight line. Typically, it is a series of waves, with each successive wave taking the patient closer to functioning at a level that's acceptable as then.

Each successive wave moves forward, then goes back again. What's important to remember is that when the wave goes back, it doesn't go as far back as the one before it did.

So, what is considered failure at this stage in recovery, would previously have been considered a success. What is considered success just now will be considered failure in future.

I think that finding something wrong in a 2-0 victory, away, against the team above, who are supposed to have greater resources than us, is a sign that Hibs fans still need to learn that winning substance takes precedence over style.

We have had both at some points this season, and as our recovery happens this will happen more often.

southern hibby
15-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Sorry to take this thread off topic but is there any reason why you spell the word "in" as "I'n"? :confused:

Is it one of these predictive text things?

I've wondered that for a while now as it's quite strange.

Predictive text, tried changing it on my phone and it changes but once I log off and back on it re-appears.

GGTTH

Sir David Gray
15-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Predictive text, tried changing it on my phone and it changes but once I log off and back on it re-appears.

GGTTH

Thought it might be that, just curious!

I've never seen that before as normally the predictive text changes one word to another word but "I'n" isn't a word!

Very odd indeed.

iainm1875
16-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Belief?? He's got the much maligned Lewis Stevenson running on to perfectly weighted lobs in to the box then volleying in to the back of the net,,,,,that's not belief,,,,,that's black magic voodoo match play.
I had to rewind the TiVo on Friday night, my head couldn't believe what my eyes had just witnessed, even though I knew he had been just been subbed I thought it was Allan that had ran on and scored, no WAY could Louis do that!

Love this. :agree:

iainm1875
16-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Recovery doesn't happen in a straight line. Typically, it is a series of waves, with each successive wave taking the patient closer to functioning at a level that's acceptable as then.

Each successive wave moves forward, then goes back again. What's important to remember is that when the wave goes back, it doesn't go as far back as the one before it did.

So, what is considered failure at this stage in recovery, would previously have been considered a success. What is considered success just now will be considered failure in future.

I think that finding something wrong in a 2-0 victory, away, against the team above, who are supposed to have greater resources than us, is a sign that Hibs fans still need to learn that winning substance takes precedence over style.

We have had both at some points this season, and as our recovery happens this will happen more often.

And this. :top marks

jdships
16-02-2015, 01:17 PM

me likewise also :thumbsup:

Glesgahibby
16-02-2015, 01:19 PM
We won,we had a clean sheet,we scored twice:greengrin
GAME OVER!! No debate required!!!!
Glory,Glory!!!!!!

Newry Hibs
16-02-2015, 01:42 PM
It's the sixth and seventh games against them that will really matter this season I think.