PDA

View Full Version : Liam Fontaine

Big_Franck
14-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Didn't see a thread about him last night and thought he deserved one of his own.

For me Fontaine was man of the match, an absolute rock at the back who won everything in the air all night. I know Robertson had a great game as well but Fontaine edged it for me. The amount of headers that he wins from dangerous looking crosses, free kicks and corners is unreal. It's like having Rob Jones back except I think Fontaine's use of the ball is slightly better.

He's out of contract in a few months so hopefully we can get him tied down. Any more performances like that, especially live in TV, and we will struggle to keep a hold of him. Another great Stubbs signing.

gaz1875
14-02-2015, 02:45 PM
He has been fantastic in recent weeks, solid as a rock yesterday, for me just nudged out for MOTM by Scott Robertson. Also thought Keith Watson was solid for only his second game, fantastic block at the end of the match which wasn't spotted by the ref :greengrin

B.H.F.C
14-02-2015, 02:50 PM
The big man is quality. Just does his job. Makes very, very few mistakes.

WillowbraeHibby
14-02-2015, 02:50 PM
If I was to see Liam Fontaine in a Hibs shirt for the next 5 years, I wouldn't have a problem with that... Does his job superbly, and reads the game well. :agree:

AlbertK86
14-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Yep big fella has been solid for weeks now

Has really settled in and is the type of aggressive CH we have needed for years

Isnae bad with the ball at his feet as well and always looks to pick a decent pass

Smartie
14-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Most weeks he is superb, I really like him.

He is prone to the odd howling performance although he hasn't had one for a while. And when he is, Hanlon has a happy knack of getting his mate out of the **** which is often the sign of a good centre-half partnership.

In fact, I though Hanlon was a bit shaky last night and was fortunate to have Fontaine having a blinder next to him.

14-02-2015, 02:59 PM
Another great Stubbs signing. Solid all the time.:thumbsup:

Jack Hackett
14-02-2015, 03:03 PM
His goal line clearance header from Millar came at a crucial point. Ifs and mibbaes, but going behind at that point would have seen a different game imo

:top marks

lucky
14-02-2015, 03:03 PM
If I was to see Liam Fontaine in a Hibs shirt for the next 5 years, I wouldn't have a problem with that... Does his job superbly, and reads the game well. :agree:

He's capable at this level but hoping we sign better in the future

Andy74
14-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Mental. The guy is a class act.

greenginger
14-02-2015, 03:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fontaine

Stubbs seems to be getting the best out of him.

Fulham ( 1 game ) Yeovil Town and Bristol City and 29 years old.

Boyle89
14-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I wasn't impressed with his debut at alloa but since then he's won me round. 2 blocks off the line against the current buns. He's solid. Exactly what we need. Get him tied down asap.

WillowbraeHibby
14-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Mental. The guy is a class act.

:agree:

California-Hibs
14-02-2015, 03:11 PM
I think he's simply outstanding, the type of defender we've wanted/needed for years!

Please oh please Hibs get this guy tied down on a new contract!!

R'Albin
14-02-2015, 03:11 PM

While I will always hope we sign better, that isn't exactly my feelings towards Fontaine. The guy has been fantastic whenever I've seen him and was MOTM by a distance last night IMO.

Smartie
14-02-2015, 03:16 PM
I think he's simply outstanding, the type of defender we've wanted/needed for years!

Please oh please Hibs get this guy tied down on a new contract!!

Whilst I understand the sentiment and logic behind trying to tie players down to new contracts, I think that we have too many players who are simply too good to be playing in the Scottish Championship. If we go up I could see them extending their stays, but if not I would understand that they would want to move on. Fontaine is one who I would put in this category.

Ronniekirk
14-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Am sure a few folk have heard he has said he would prefer to go back down south where his family are but agree would like him to stay

Billy Whizz
14-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Am sure a few folk have heard he has said he would prefer to go back down south where his family are but agree would like him to stay

Ronnie, he said that he wouldn't uproot and bring his family up for his one year deal, but if Hibs extended it, he would be interested

WillowbraeHibby
14-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Ronnie, he said that he wouldn't uproot and bring his family up for his one year deal, but if Hibs extended it, he would be interested

Hope Hibs look to extend it then... In fact, I would like a few extended... :greengrin

Ronniekirk
14-02-2015, 04:36 PM

iwasthere1972
14-02-2015, 05:41 PM
He's been immense this season. Terrific defender and always looks at ease with the ball.

Should be made captain.

Swedish hibee
14-02-2015, 09:20 PM
:aok: How long is he signed up for?

Ronniekirk
14-02-2015, 09:23 PM
:aok: How long is he signed up for?

His contract is up at end of this season

JimBHibees
14-02-2015, 09:41 PM

That's a shocker. Guy is a class act.

Golden Bear
14-02-2015, 10:19 PM
He's been immense this season. Terrific defender and always looks at ease with the ball.

Should be made captain.

Totally agree.

Northernhibee
14-02-2015, 10:29 PM
We have a few players who if we were in the Premiership would still be amongst the best players in the league - Fontaine is one of them.

Hiber-nation
14-02-2015, 10:31 PM

You'll just need to hope then. I don't really care about the level of teams he's been playing against, his whole attitude is spot on, complete professional and I'd love to see him at Hibs for a while yet.

lucky
14-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm not slagging the guy off but in 5 years time hopeful of a better Hibs team than now

Bostonhibby
14-02-2015, 11:01 PM
In his current role he will cruise through Scottish football for the next few years if he is properly managed and motivated, we really need to keep this quality defender. He makes it all look so easy. Must inspire confidence from those around him.

matty_f
14-02-2015, 11:27 PM
I think he's a cracking player, very composed, reads the game well and can play football. Get him signed up longer Hibs!

Pedantic_Hibee
15-02-2015, 01:58 AM
I hope he wants to stay at Hibs. If he's enjoying his football and working under Stubbs then that can only strengthen our chances. He was my MOTM last week and he was a good shout for it last night too.

In other news, I'm awake and drunk.

JimBHibees
15-02-2015, 07:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Fontaine

Stubbs seems to be getting the best out of him.

Fulham ( 1 game ) Yeovil Town and Bristol City and 29 years old.

Got to remember Bristol City were a lot of the time in the Championship so has played at a decent level.

Spoke to him for a short time at the Hibs net visit and he came over very well. Intelligent and polite.

Stevie Reid
15-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Got to remember Bristol City were a lot of the time in the Championship so has played at a decent level.

Spoke to him for a short time at the Hibs net visit and he came over very well. Intelligent and polite.

Absolutely Jim, think Yeovil were in the Championship in his last loan stint there as well.

Fontaine is class, and proof that lower English League standards are nowhere near as bad as many on here make out.

Would love to get him signed up for longer, but I get the feeling that Aberdeen will come after him.

Shear class, and has seemed to stroll through every game for a long time now.

Thecat23
15-02-2015, 07:43 AM

He would stroll it moving up a division imo. He's calm and composed! One of the best CH we have had in a while.

3pm
15-02-2015, 08:32 AM
He would stroll it moving up a division imo. He's calm and composed! One of the best CH we have had in a while.

Not heard anything guv?

Thecat23
15-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Not heard anything guv?

Nah mate. Only that he's missing his family down south. Really hope we get him long term!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdinMike
15-02-2015, 08:42 AM
When asked who I think is MoTM I seem to find myself in recent weeks saying..

"Well it's either Fontaine or..."

I have high admiration for the guy, he does his job and he does it well.

eastcoasthibby
15-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Totally agree with all the posts he is a quality player, who not only reads the game well, can play a bit, shows a desire and committment and is a winner all day long...just what we need and I do think the key is about whether we go up or not as there will be a fair bit of interest in him.

Having said all this about his ability on the park , I love the way he interacts with the fans, he always makes a point of applauding the fans at the FF end and East when he comes out to start a match and then always at the end of the game comes along the east and to the FF applauding the fans.... great attitude and shows that he has a real respect and appreciation for the fans. I would say that Paul Hanlon does similar and Oxley to an extent, but most of the other players pay little attention or give little acknowledgement to the fans at the games, unless its a good result.

The Hibs Board need to put a good contract on the table for him now ( if that's not already been done) and let him know how much he is wanted here, lets set our stall out for next season regardless, retaining players like him will lift early Season ticket sales, back to the statement of intent theory.

GGTTH

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Very good player, just does his job and gets on with it!

spike220
15-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Didn't see a thread about him last night and thought he deserved one of his own.

For me Fontaine was man of the match, an absolute rock at the back who won everything in the air all night. I know Robertson had a great game as well but Fontaine edged it for me. The amount of headers that he wins from dangerous looking crosses, free kicks and corners is unreal. It's like having Rob Jones back except I think Fontaine's use of the ball is slightly better.

He's out of contract in a few months so hopefully we can get him tied down. Any more performances like that, especially live in TV, and we will struggle to keep a hold of him. Another great Stubbs signing.

essexhibee
16-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Been mightly impressed with Fontaine. Fills me with confidence with his composure and his positioning. Twice now v Rangers he's been on the line in the right place to clear.

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Totally agree with all the posts he is a quality player, who not only reads the game well, can play a bit, shows a desire and committment and is a winner all day long...just what we need and I do think the key is about whether we go up or not as there will be a fair bit of interest in him.

Having said all this about his ability on the park , I love the way he interacts with the fans, he always makes a point of applauding the fans at the FF end and East when he comes out to start a match and then always at the end of the game comes along the east and to the FF applauding the fans.... great attitude and shows that he has a real respect and appreciation for the fans. I would say that Paul Hanlon does similar and Oxley to an extent, but most of the other players pay little attention or give little acknowledgement to the fans at the games, unless its a good result.

The Hibs Board need to put a good contract on the table for him now ( if that's not already been done) and let him know how much he is wanted here, lets set our stall out for next season regardless, retaining players like him will lift early Season ticket sales, back to the statement of intent theory.

GGTTH

Scott Robertson is another who always acknowledges the fans. Particularly last season when things were grim

NAE NOOKIE
16-02-2015, 11:38 AM
He definitely has a fan in me, he just seems to perform well every week and there's no doubt his header off the line at Ibrox was a game saver. Hibs should put a 2 year contract on the table now, so that if someone does come in for him and he wants to go we get something back. I mean to say, we got money for Martis FFS.

Turkish Green
16-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Given our plight of defenders over the past few years I like Fontaine's dependable no-nonsense approach.

Aldo
16-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Everything you'd expect in a defender and a little bit more IMHO.

Always seems composed and does the simple things, well Simple.

Hopefully a new contract on the cards for him. Well deserved IMHO.

Winston Ingram
17-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Nah mate. Only that he's missing his family down south. Really hope we get him long term!

Posted this on the PM board. The Mother-in-law is an ST holder and spoke to him last week in Ocean Terminal.

She spoke to him for a while and she told me he said he said that he'd really settled at Hibs and in Edinburgh and would love to sign a new deal. As yet, nothing has been offered,

Thecat23
17-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Posted this on the PM board. The Mother-in-law is an ST holder and spoke to him last week in Ocean Terminal.

She spoke to him for a while and she told me he said he said that he'd really settled at Hibs and in Edinburgh and would love to sign a new deal. As yet, nothing has been offered,

I'm surprised we haven't offered him something to be honest! I'm sure his agent and Stubbs would at least have mentioned it Id have thought. If not then they need to get the finger out.

bingo70
17-02-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm surprised we haven't offered him something to be honest! I'm sure his agent and Stubbs would at least have mentioned it Id have thought. If not then they need to get the finger out.

I imagine we won't know what we can offer him until we know what league we're going to be in next year.

Mathias Jack
17-02-2015, 12:32 PM

GGTTH

:top marksGuy is a class act, strolled the game on Friday. Can't believe we only have him signed up for a year though. Over to you Stubbsy

Just touching on him coming over to the fans; it'd take 2 mins for the rest of them to come over. You see it in the Bundesliga most weeks, the fans go mad for it...

Thecat23
17-02-2015, 12:34 PM
I imagine we won't know what we can offer him until we know what league we're going to be in next year.

Could very well be the case! I'd still like to think they have sat down went over each scenario to at least know were they stand if we do or don't go up.

If we fail to get promotion this year Stubbs will need to build another team as many will be heading out.

WillowbraeHibby
17-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Could very well be the case! I'd still like to think they have sat down went over each scenario to at least know were they stand if we do or don't go up.

If we fail to get promotion this year Stubbs will need to build another team as many will be heading out.

Unfortunately that may well be the scenario, which would be a shame mind, as things are just getting better as to what we have witnessed in the
past years.. I keep the faith we will manage to go up..

Thecat23
17-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately that may well be the scenario, which would be a shame mind, as things are just getting better as to what we have witnessed in the
past years.. I keep the faith we will manage to go up..

This squad is more than capable of going up. I'm with you I think we will.