PDA

View Full Version : Best Hibs counterattacking goal ever?

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Oxley, Boyle, Fyvie, Boyle, Malonga, Fyvie, Stevenson, Fyvie, Stevenson GOAL!

Its the kind of goal you see the best european teams score. One end of the pitch to the other. Movement, passing, great finish. A mile away from Butchers team. Can you think of a better counterattacking goal we've scored?

CallumLaidlaw
14-02-2015, 11:00 AM
One of Ivan's against Rangers maybe?

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 11:02 AM

The last Sproule goal in the hattrick 3-0 was a bit special, but it owed it all to Scott Browns work. Yesterday's was a better team goal IMO.

HibeeMackenzie
14-02-2015, 11:03 AM
One against celtic when we beat them 3 1, scott brown started it with a back heel, some goal

Mr White
14-02-2015, 11:07 AM
One against celtic when we beat them 3 1, scott brown started it with a back heel, some goal

The first one? Deek backheeled to brown who bolted about 60 yards with it, passed to garry o who stepped inside valgaeren i think and stroked it home. Beautiful goal. I was in the last seat of a row next to the celtc fans. Loved that goal :greengrin

Hank Schrader
14-02-2015, 11:07 AM

I can't remember exactly which team, but there was someone from Rangers (RIP) next CL opponents in the crowd that day and he said that Hibs played some of the best counter attacking football he'd ever seen.

HibeeMackenzie
14-02-2015, 11:28 AM
The first one? Deek backheeled to brown who bolted about 60 yards with it, passed to garry o who stepped inside valgaeren i think and stroked it home. Beautiful goal. I was in the last seat of a row next to the celtc fans. Loved that goal :greengrin

That's the one! True footballing beauty

Viva_Palmeiras
14-02-2015, 11:34 AM

Its the kind of goal you see the best european teams score. One end of the pitch to the other. Movement, passing, great finish. A mile away from Butchers team. Can you think of a better counterattacking goal we've scored?

Glad this got the thread it deserved. I don't often use the word awesome as the Americans have ruined it but that goal was AWESOME. Who would have guessed that a Hibs as a TEAM could have scored such a goal since The Calderclown era?

Alex Trager
14-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Exactly this that must be able to happen in our team. Patient build up and nice passing is superb.
But being able to mix it up with a hoof that constitutes counter attacking play like that last night. Is an absolute delight to watch. Truly is.

I love that the team has that extra dynamic to it, to be able to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Hunter (clearing header from penalty spot) - McAllister - Harper - O'Neill.
One touch each against Motherwell in 1996(?).
Sublime finish on the volley by a player running at full speed from his own box.

The crowd was so stunned they forgot to cheer.

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Agathes in the 5-1 against Dundee was pretty special. Albeit a totally different type of counterattack.

Peevemor
14-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Sublime finish on the volley by a player running at full speed from his own box.

I immediately thought of that one too but last night's 2nd, given the scorer, the quality of the finish and being at Ibrox, was really pretty special.

Humo
14-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Stevensons goal against Killie was a cracker

ozwoody
14-02-2015, 12:28 PM

This.
the speed of attack from hibs and harpers cross field pass at speed for O' Neil to not only gauge height and speed of ball but to connect with it at full pace on the volley was without doubt one of the best goals seen at ER. Latapys against hearts was a close second in my opinion

Eyrie
14-02-2015, 01:19 PM

Was that the goal that Brian Martin got red carded for protesting to the linesman? Think it would be spring 95 if it was.

VivaHiberņa
14-02-2015, 02:16 PM

"Baby, this one was a dandy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLx_S-dtfS8

--------
14-02-2015, 02:21 PM

EVER? in 140 years? Probably not.

But it WAS an awfy well-worked goal.

CallumLaidlaw
14-02-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm just enjoying the fact that we CAN counter teams now. Under Fenlon & Butcher it just wasn't possible. Build up was ridiculously slow under Fenlon, and under TB the players were too lacking in confidence to try anything creative. Fyvie probably would've got subbed by butcher for trying that pass.

emerald green
14-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Impossible for me to say what I think Hibs best counter attacking goal I've ever seen simply because down through the years there have been so many.

One that comes to mind though is a goal scored by Joe Harper against Liverpool in a EUFA Cup tie at ER in 1975/6 season I think. The ball was played down the left touchline to Arthur Duncan who went on a great run and crossed into the box without breaking stride where Harper scored with a diving header.

John Brownlie, who usually scored with his penalties, then had his penalty saved by Ray Clemence. Liverpool beat Hibs 3-1 in the return leg and went on to win the trophy.

_hucks_
14-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Super Leigh netted from a beautiful counter against Dundee Utd a few seasons back - video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHC-GBDqfw)

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Leigh netted from a beautiful counter against Dundee Utd a few seasons back - video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaHC-GBDqfw)

Oooft. I like it.

Mr White
14-02-2015, 02:58 PM

2nd that day was a beauty too. The first 2 hibs goals my son witnessed.

scoopyboy
14-02-2015, 03:10 PM
I immediately thought of that one too but last night's 2nd, given the scorer, the quality of the finish and being at Ibrox, was really pretty special.

It was a great goal last night but for me the O'Neill effort against Motherwell, it was much quicker from back to front and the finish was better.

silverhibee
14-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I can't remember exactly which team, but there was someone from Rangers (RIP) next CL opponents in the crowd that day and he said that Hibs played some of the best counter attacking football he'd ever seen.

It was a Dutch manager, and he said something like "If you want to go see some great counter attacking football then go watch Hibernian FC", pretty sure it was the 0-3 where Sproule Killen and O'Connor scored.

Dashing Bob S
14-02-2015, 03:34 PM

All the more satisfying for the "you thought you had us on the rack, but game, set and match, Johnny Hun" element to the proceedings. We stiffed those blighters big time - it's the Hibernian way.

Iggy Pope
14-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Impossible for me to say what I think Hibs best counter attacking goal I've ever seen simply because down through the years there have been so many.

One that comes to mind though is a goal scored by Joe Harper against Liverpool in a EUFA Cup tie at ER in 1975/6 season I think. The ball was played down the left touchline to Arthur Duncan who went on a great run and crossed into the box without breaking stride where Harper scored with a diving header.

John Brownlie, who usually scored with his penalties, then had his penalty saved by Ray Clemence. Liverpool beat Hibs 3-1 in the return leg and went on to win the trophy.

Great counter attacking goal but even Joe's arse was not that close to the ground for it to count as a header!

HoboHarry
14-02-2015, 03:40 PM

Great and Joe Harper in the same post? Doddie will be on here shortly to point out the error of your ways....... :greengrin

brog
14-02-2015, 03:41 PM

Harper's goal was excellent but it was a shot not a header. Part of the beauty of the goal was that the ball never left the ground through the move.

Silky
14-02-2015, 04:15 PM

I remember that game-and goal. I still talk about it to this day. Was one of the best goals I've seen at Easter Road and O'Neill's technique to hit it like that was just sensational!

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Was that the goal that Brian Martin got red carded for protesting to the linesman? Think it would be spring 95 if it was.

Dim and distant memories being relied on here, but I think Martin was red-carded in a cup-tie we went to win comfortably. I'm sure O'Neill's goal was scored in the league and the game ended 2-2.
I can remember watching the Martin sending off from the front row behind the goal where I'd been decanted to when the club had sold my seat in the East twice:grr:

portycabbage
14-02-2015, 04:25 PM
The last Sproule goal in the hattrick 3-0 was a bit special, but it owed it all to Scott Browns work. Yesterday's was a better team goal IMO.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, Scott Brown ran the length of the pitch with the ball and a pacey Lovenkrands couldn't keep up with him. It must have been Brown's ability to run at pace with the ball that made Celtic think he'd be good as a sitting midfielder. Dicks.

emerald green
14-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Great counter attacking goal but even Joe's arse was not that close to the ground for it to count as a header!

:greengrin

Great and Joe Harper in the same post? Doddie will be on here shortly to point out the error of your ways....... :greengrin

I'm in hiding. :greengrin

Harper's goal was excellent but it was a shot not a header. Part of the beauty of the goal was that the ball never left the ground through the move.

:agree:

Apologies Iggy & brog. The old memory playing tricks on me there. It was indeed a shot.

Eyrie
14-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Dim and distant memories being relied on here, but I think Martin was red-carded in a cup-tie we went to win comfortably. I'm sure O'Neill's goal was scored in the league and the game ended 2-2.
I can remember watching the Martin sending off from the front row behind the goal where I'd been decanted to when the club had sold my seat in the East twice:grr:

You could well be right - my memory is equally distant and generally far dimmer.

Kaiser_Sauzee
14-02-2015, 05:00 PM
:greengrin

I'm in hiding. :greengrin

:agree:

Apologies Iggy & brog. The old memory playing tricks on me there. It was indeed a shot.

http://youtu.be/S6aFDyKlD50

Northernhibee
14-02-2015, 05:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrCTOBMIPPc

Can't argue with results.

Sir David Gray
14-02-2015, 06:01 PM
"Baby, this one was a dandy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLx_S-dtfS8

Can't believe that was almost 10 years ago!

I can remember listening to the game on the radio in my bedroom and going absolutely mental when the third went in.

jdships
14-02-2015, 06:02 PM
the two things that stood out for me i Fridays game at Ibrox were
1 The slide rule pass from Allan to Cummings which led to the first goal.- " a thing of beauty"
2 Watch where Lewis came from to take the pass to score the second goal. He read it superbly with timing perfect

Well done for a great team performance . Poor, poor Rangers side by any standards

hibsbollah
14-02-2015, 06:04 PM
#2 must be up there too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXlgf37iFQ

Prof. Shaggy
14-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Here's O'Neill's goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA

Having seen it I'd like to correct my earlier account.
It's Graeme Love who heads the ball clear; Willie Miller gets a touch and Kevin McAllister has two touches.
The finish is as stunning as I remember.

Maybe it was only me that was so stunned that I forgot to cheer...

S.sct
14-02-2015, 10:14 PM

Missed the match last night and just seen the highlights. That second goal was outstanding. Oh and Miller is a total ****bag, coward for that assault on Hanlon....

PatHead
14-02-2015, 11:33 PM
Here's O'Neill's goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgDNxueTtA

Having seen it I'd like to correct my earlier account.
It's Graeme Love who heads the ball clear; Willie Miller gets a touch and Kevin McAllister has two touches.
The finish is as stunning as I remember.

Maybe it was only me that was so stunned that I forgot to cheer...

Great goal.

What a horrible strip though and how bad does the stadium look?

Bostonhibby
14-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Number 7 here? Shades won it in the first place as well(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

PatHead
15-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Number 7 here? Shades won it in the first place as well(?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzt4r_IIKVM

Bumped into Jimmy O'Rourke in ASDA yesterday whilst he got some beers to watch the match on tv

Bostonhibby
15-02-2015, 12:12 AM
Bumped into Jimmy O'Rourke in ASDA yesterday whilst he got some beers to watch the match on tv

Just had a wee flashback fae Jocks' Lodge there K:wink:

Been very few better Hibbies in my lifetime.

PatHead
15-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Just had a wee flashback fae Jocks' Lodge there K:wink:

Been very few better Hibbies in my lifetime.

Aye as well as Jocks Lodge he was also manager in Forresters in Pathhead for a few years so had his company in both places.

A real legend and loved to talk about Hibs. Never goes nowadays though.

JimBHibees
15-02-2015, 07:59 AM

Quite simply a brilliant counter attacking goal. Scored with pace and quality in abundance.

My_Wife_Camille
15-02-2015, 02:30 PM
The second goal against Celtic in the Squiggler game 👌

FranckSuzy
15-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Latapy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYBE8vR7_tw) v Dundee Utd, season 99-00. Sauzee, Brebner, Latapy :not worth

But, who could forget his best, number 6 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0)? "Twisting, turning, lovely one-two!" :thumbsup: 4min, 40secs in.

Bostonhibby
15-02-2015, 09:06 PM
Aye as well as Jocks Lodge he was also manager in Forresters in Pathhead for a few years so had his company in both places.

A real legend and loved to talk about Hibs. Never goes nowadays though.

Real shame that is, he was great with the fans as you say, I remember once he was talking to Alan Rough at the bar and after a bit of banter he got Roughie to autograph our arms for us :greengrin

PatHead
15-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Real shame that is, he was great with the fans as you say, I remember once he was talking to Alan Rough at the bar and after a bit of banter he got Roughie to autograph our arms for us :greengrin

Have you washed your arm since? :greengrin

Bostonhibby
15-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Have you washed your arm since? :greengrin
That's another story, the good lady was an admirer of roughie [emoji1] there's a photo of my arm somewhere.

cmcd
15-02-2015, 10:29 PM

John Brownlie, who usually scored with his penalties, then had his penalty saved by Ray Clemence. Liverpool beat Hibs 3-1 in the return leg and went on to win the trophy.was not a header

Ian Munro passed a great ball inside the full back to Duncan

emerald green
16-02-2015, 02:32 PM
was not a header

Ian Munro passed a great ball inside the full back to Duncan

See my post #32 above cmcd.

hibby6270
16-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Goals #6 & #7 in THAT game on 1st Jan 1973 gotta be up there?

Bostonhibby
16-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Goals #6 & #7 in THAT game on 1st Jan 1973 gotta be up there?
Aye 6 as well for me, one man breakaway but that man floated on air!

WestEndHibee
16-02-2015, 05:17 PM
The second goal against Celtic in the Squiggler game 

I forgot how good that goal was. A brilliant counter-attacking move.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rbwt_hibernian-2-0-celtic-but-nish_sport