PDA

View Full Version : Cummings/Malonga????

J-C
13-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Was working tonight and luckily managed to see Stevenson's goal but Cummings and Malonga got it very tight from the Sportsound guys, especially in the 2nd half, were they really that bad and lazy???

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Not their best night certainly

madabouthibs
13-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Malonga for me should've been off.
defo a player that can finish, as long as the ball falls to his feet in the box. He won't make many goals of his own.

J-C
13-02-2015, 11:58 PM
They were saying there was very little if no harassing of their back 4 which allowed them plenty of time on the ball, hence why our midfield disappeared in the 2nd half.

Mibbes Aye
14-02-2015, 12:28 AM
They were saying there was very little if no harassing of their back 4 which allowed them plenty of time on the ball, hence why our midfield disappeared in the 2nd half.

That doesn't even make sense :confused:

Why did our midfield disappear due to the forwards not pressing high?

We did sit back at times tonight, I can acknowledge that, we didn't press high too hard but we didn't not press high either.

If I'm being honest I thought Malonga ran harder second half than first though it's subjective.

Putting Boyle and Djede on was very obviously giving us pace as an outlet. We didn't end up scoring from it but you can see how it was the intention.

S4uzee
14-02-2015, 12:37 AM
I like Malonga but he was very frustrating tonight but he's not played much in 5 weeks so I'll let him off

Mikey09
14-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Was working tonight and luckily managed to see Stevenson's goal but Cummings and Malonga got it very tight from the Sportsound guys, especially in the 2nd half, were they really that bad and lazy???

They would have to both score a hat trick to get a tiny amount of credit from those prats!! Midfield and forward play wasn't great tonight but these idiots on Sportsound love to pick one or two players to slate. Especially when Hibs are playing....

RIP Bestie
14-02-2015, 01:14 AM
We have gone to Ibrox tonight, for a game that could take us above Rangers in the league, that has historically been a very difficult place for us to go and get any sort of positive result and have faced a Rangers side who are obviously hurting after recent results and bad press surrounding their performances and the club as a whole.
We have soaked up everything that our rivals for second place could throw at us and came way with a clean sheet.
We have had 5 efforts at their goal and scored with 2 of the 3 efforts we have had on target.
Tonight for me was a great team effort.
Do we really need to question the performance of our strikers who obviously were not going to be prominent in the way the game was being played?

Hermit Crab
14-02-2015, 01:24 AM
In the previous match at Ibrox we pressed high up the park and got our rewards. We didn't do that tonight and allowed Rangers to play out from the back. Midfield were missing tonight and were 2nd best for most of the match. I don't think stubbs should have changed the formation but we got 3 points that's what matters.

gorgie greens
14-02-2015, 06:27 AM
In the previous match at Ibrox we pressed high up the park and got our rewards. We didn't do that tonight and allowed Rangers to play out from the back. Midfield were missing tonight and were 2nd best for most of the match. I don't think stubbs should have changed the formation but we got 3 points that's what matters.

To be fair from the start the huns looked up for it and were in our faces the whole game,they killed the space we had,and there plan at it did stop us playing,if they had the same passion and appetite that they had on our 2 previous league games (huns) I'm sure we would have had a similar result.
We have come on massive steps since Stubbs came here and we would have taken any win at Greyskull before,
Not a bad sign playing not your best ,keeping a clean sheet,and winning,i for one will take that all day long,I think we have been spoiled in a lot of the games in the way we are now playing,thought we had the rub of the green on a defo penalty then going down the field and scoring ,1-1 your in a fight,2-0 game over .:greengrin

Onion
14-02-2015, 06:43 AM
To be fair from the start the huns looked up for it and were in our faces the whole game,they killed the space we had,and there plan at it did stop us playing,if they had the same passion and appetite that they had on our 2 previous league games (huns) I'm sure we would have had a similar result.
We have come on massive steps since Stubbs came here and we would have taken any win at Greyskull before,
Not a bad sign playing not your best ,keeping a clean sheet,and winning,i for one will take that all day long,I think we have been spoiled in a lot of the games in the way we are now playing,thought we had the rub of the green on a defo penalty then going down the field and scoring ,1-1 your in a fight,2-0 game over .:greengrin

:top marks Considering what Hibs fans have had to deal with over the last few years, we should just chill out and enjoy every win we can get.

Tonez
14-02-2015, 06:56 AM
I like Malonga, he holds the ball up and brings other players into it. Never wastes a ball, he did slow things down last night and maybe Stubbs should have replaced him for pace sooner.

lucky
14-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Hibs have won at Ibrox, that's all that counts. The highly paid prima donnas in their team failed to score against us again but they put in some effort and had more of the ball. So what! This season we have dominated the ball in most games but tonight we had to put in a different type of performance and still won.

Onceinawhile
14-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Agree that both of them were pretty poor tonight, the ball just didn't stick which invites pressure back onto us. But each of them had a hand in a goal, so it wasn't all that bad.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2015, 07:22 AM
I just don't think they are a good partnership. Both are good players but they don't seem to click.

A prime example last night was when Cummings had the ball to break. He was desperately waiting on Malonga making some kind of move but Malonga just kept running in a straight line into the space Cummings was trying to use. In the end he was forced to take it wide to try anf create his own space and his shot from a poor angle was tame.

One of them will drop out when Farid is fit imo.

ScottM1875
14-02-2015, 07:28 AM
I think the partnership could work, just not in last night's formation or shape. Malonga evidently doesn't have a great work rate, which doesn't suit the 3-5-2 where the strikers need to be closing down and even tracking back at some points. When we play the so called lesser teams and go all out attacking, he doesn't need to do much running as he can hang about in the box waiting for the ball to his feet or head, which he wasn't going to get yesterday. I would have played Boyle and Cummings from the start yesterday.

PeeJay
14-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Thought Malonga was the better of the two last night, his pace was good and he made better use of the ball (when he had it), Cummings had a terrible game IMO, nothing worked for him at all, I would have hooked him much soonerŽ- was surprised to see them playing together as Malonga hasn't had an outing for us recently, neither of them seemed to be aware of where the other was or where he should be, best example being Cummings run at their goal as the 1st half closed, when together they both managed to squander an excellent opportunity ... they need to work more on a partnership in training if there's to be one....

Velma Dinkley
14-02-2015, 08:26 AM
They were both involved in the goals.

harry-hibee
14-02-2015, 08:34 AM
They were both involved in the goals.

Exactly

Bobby's Cinema
14-02-2015, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't have criticised the strikers all that much. It was a tough night and the balls up to them second half were pretty hopeful.

J-C
14-02-2015, 09:23 AM
That doesn't even make sense :confused:

Why did our midfield disappear due to the forwards not pressing high?

We did sit back at times tonight, I can acknowledge that, we didn't press high too hard but we didn't not press high either.

If I'm being honest I thought Malonga ran harder second half than first though it's subjective.

Putting Boyle and Djede on was very obviously giving us pace as an outlet. We didn't end up scoring from it but you can see how it was the intention.

It makes sense if the forwards press the defenders, they then in turn cannot play decent balls into their midfield, defence starts from the front and Willie Miller was saying they didn't do enough to stop the Rangers defenders from playing the ball in the second half. hence why I asked here as I was listening and not watching.

Eyrie
14-02-2015, 09:58 AM
I agree with the earlier comments about them not gelling as a partnership.

Cummings' form has slipped in the last few games, so once El Alagui is fit I'd be tempted to drop Cummings to the bench and then give him the last twenty minutes or so. And if the El Alagui/Malonga pairing doesn't work then Cummings, Boyle or Dja Djedje can earn the right to replace one or both of them.

We're not short of good players so the priority has to be establishing the best partnership to get the most out of them.

3pm
14-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I thought Malonga was OK considering he hasn't played for weeks.

Bronson
14-02-2015, 10:11 AM
They never really pressed or harried the rangers back 4, which invited them on to us. I'm not sure if that was the management team's decision or if they were being a bit lazy.

Thought when they actually got the ball they were fine. Malonga's first touch was exquisite at times.

NAE NOOKIE
14-02-2015, 10:13 AM
It was a hard shift for the two of them last night, they had to chase more long balls than usual and didn't look on the same wavelength at times, especially when they had that breakaway near half time where Malonga's movement was poor. I wouldn't say either one of them was lazy, though Malonga's style makes him look that way.

14-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Hibs have won at Ibrox, that's all that counts. The highly paid prima donnas in their team failed to score against us again but they put in some effort and had more of the ball. So what! This season we have dominated the ball in most games but tonight we had to put in a different type of performance and still won.

Eaxactly. As Stubbs said in his post-match interview, we saw a different side to hibs tonight, a team that can dig in and grind out a result.