PDA

View Full Version : Was that the plan?

Saturday Boy
13-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Watching the game on the tv, at first I thought that we were lucky to get away with the win, but having thought about it, it was the first time this season we have had to defend, and we did that quite comfortably. In addition, we only played two proper passes into the box, both resulting in goals.

I wonder, given the change to the formation, if Stubbs is preparing for the play off against a Premiership team already? Learning how to sit in and hit teams on the break, rather that trying to break them down as we have seen most of this season.

It may sound mad, but I think Stubbs knew we could win easily, but changed things around to give the team a bit more of a try out.

Or maybe I've been "over thinking"!

gaz1875
13-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Watching the game on the tv, at first I thought that we were lucky to get away with the win, but having thought about it, it was the first time this season we have had to defend, and we did that quite comfortably. In addition, we only played two proper passes into the box, both resulting in goals.

I wonder, given the change to the formation, if Stubbs is preparing for the play off against a Premiership team already? Learning how to sit in and hit teams on the break, rather that trying to break them down as we have seen most of this season.

It may sound mad, but I think Stubbs knew we could win easily, but changed things around to give the team a bit more of a try out.

It was a strange game tactically, we just absorbed everything mostly down to bad possession when we broke forward. Then halfway through the second half I thought Rangers just ran out of ideas...and I loved every minute from then on in!! :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
13-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Over thinking. I think.

Saturday Boy
13-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Over thinking. I think.

You may be right. It's not often I've been accused of that!

It it must be the excitement, I have trouble handling it.
:wink:

rcarter1
13-02-2015, 10:58 PM

I think Stubbs post match comments suggest that the team didn't handle Rangers energy on the night, but we did defend well given the pressure we were under, and if you score two and concede none you'll win more often than not..:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
13-02-2015, 11:15 PM
We played the same formation when we went to Ibrox earlier this season and played them off the park. The win was not as stylish, but Stubbs has found a winning formula. I'm sure we'll be more attacking next week at home to Dumbarton.

Sir David Gray
13-02-2015, 11:17 PM
We didn't play very well tonight but I'll take a 2-0 win at Ibrox any day of the week.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2015, 11:20 PM
We were pretty poor but we won 2-0 away playing poor so I'm happy.

I don't rate 352 at all for us. We won 3-1 at Ibrox earlier in the season playing it but the 2nd half then was much like tonight. Camped in our own half for spells under relative pressure.

The diamond variant of 442, maybe a 41212, is by far our best formation and ai'd be confident results would back that up. It was a gamble by Stubbs tonight and ultimately it worked but I'd hope we change back going forward.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
13-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Didn't see the game. When BBC Radio said 3 at the back I just assumed Jordon Forster was in. Did Watson play sweeper ???

Eyrie
13-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Didn't see the game. When BBC Radio said 3 at the back I just assumed Jordon Forster was in. Did Watson play sweeper ???
Watson was on the right, Hanlon in the middle and Fontaine on the left.

H18S NX
13-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Didn't see the game. When BBC Radio said 3 at the back I just assumed Jordon Forster was in. Did Watson play sweeper ???.............Yes m8:aok:

hibby6270
13-02-2015, 11:38 PM

Watson on the right of the 3. Hanlon in the middle. Fontaine on the left.

To be fair the way the game panned out Gray and Stevenson played more as full backs in defence than as the attacking wing backs of the 5 in midfield. That was necessary more because of how Rangers played but it worked well. The few occasions both of them did get forward though they were a threat. Lewis's goal aside, there was one other chance where he was the "centre forward" in the box rushing in and was unlucky not to connect.

Think overall it showed that 3-5-2 needn't always mean it's an attacking formation. When used as a defending tactic, it's just as effective, as tonight has confirmed.

Tactical nouse from Stubbs (and the team) IMHO.