PDA

View Full Version : Steven McLean

Jamesie
13-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Other than the woeful pass back free kick I thought McLean had a great game and it was refreshing to see a ref who wasn't afraid to stand up to the home side at Ibrox. Not often I find myself praising a ref!

The_Exile
13-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Seen worse but I thought he'd left his cards at home in that first hour. They got away with murder.

lord bunberry
13-02-2015, 10:43 PM
Other than the woeful pass back free kick I thought McLean had a great game and it was refreshing to see a ref who wasn't afraid to stand up to the home side at Ibrox. Not often I find myself praising a ref!
He was decent tonight, the home fans were getting frustrated with him but he didn't buckle

Jonnyboy
13-02-2015, 10:44 PM

Agree with that J :agree:

ionahibby
13-02-2015, 10:45 PM
One of the better referees in our game. I shudder to think about if our friend C. Thompson had been in charge.

ACLeith
13-02-2015, 10:53 PM
One of the better referees in our game. I shudder to think about if our friend C. Thompson had been in charge.
After booking Scott A he did nothing about 2 Boyd fouls in a minute. But maybe he couldn't see past his fat backside? Still happy to swap no booking for missing the handball by Scott R

Wotherspiniesta
13-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Just how many fouls is Boyd allowed during a match before getting booked? Allan got booked for his first mistimed tackle, Boyd bumped and barged players all night and lunged at Gray and not even a word from the ref.

Cant stand Boyd. Odious fat chav.

hibbymick
13-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I wonder if some of his decisions would still be the same if ibrox was full.

jonny
13-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Thought he did quite well. didnt seem intent on making himself a pinnacle figure in the game which is always good and for the most part I wasnt really aware he was there. A couple of times when Rangers players threw themselves down in the box I did have glances and memories of past trips to Ipox but he coped well.
One of the best and fairest refereeing performances Ive witnessed there for a while. Fair play to him.

SkintHibby
13-02-2015, 11:14 PM

:agree:

Kavinho
13-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Didn't see this game (yet), but reading the match day thread, folk seemed to think he had a shocker, no?

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2015, 11:19 PM
The free kick for the pass back :faf: was cheating, a bloody ridiculous decision and if the had scored from it would have changed everything.

500miles
13-02-2015, 11:28 PM
It wasn't a pass back, rangers should have had the penalty, and the tackle on Stevenson was wild - studs up, and high - red card.

Mikey09
13-02-2015, 11:33 PM

Couldn't agree more Mick. The dreadful home attendance made it so easy for him. One thing I will say is he obviously missed Millers punch/elbow into the Hibs players face. Can't remember who, but it was another sneaky one. Disappointed in Kenny. It's usually his strike partner doing that stuff.

hibbytam
13-02-2015, 11:35 PM

I seem to be against the grain of this thread so far, but I thought they got away with murder. There seemed to be lots of late tackles, elbows and whatnot, that went unpunished. In particular, Fyvie seemed to get a black eye within moments of coming on the pitch.

Passback.... Well Oxley was an idiot to pick it up, but it wasn't a deliberate pass, he just collected a loose ball.

Stantons Angel
13-02-2015, 11:39 PM

That would have been a living nightmare.

Although he let many of their assaults go in the first half, he had the guts to stand up and be counted when they started throwing themselves in the box and feigning injury !

He booked them when he thought necessary and wasnt frightened to stand up to them and say NO way!!

Full or empty their support would be baying for blood from the start and soon got fed up whining and left the stadium as usual..

Good for you ref you passed the test tonight!!!

WeeRussell
13-02-2015, 11:43 PM
I seem to be against the grain of this thread so far, but I thought they got away with murder. There seemed to be lots of late tackles, elbows and whatnot, that went unpunished. In particular, Fyvie seemed to get a black eye within moments of coming on the pitch.

Passback.... Well Oxley was an idiot to pick it up, but it wasn't a deliberate pass, he just collected a loose ball.

No he wasn't. Was absolutely ridiculous to give that as a back-pass and there was rightly no doubt in Oxley's mind as he picked it up. Was just a miss-control from the big man. However, agree with the general thought on here that he wasn't bad at all, on the whole.

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2015, 11:47 PM
He got the passback wrong. though Oxley was daft to pick it up ... and he should have booked Wallace in the first half. Apart from that he was pretty fair and did ignore a few penalty shouts, though to be honest I don't think the The Rangers players mums would have given an award for any of them.

hibbytam
13-02-2015, 11:49 PM
No he wasn't. Was absolutely ridiculous to give that as a back-pass and there was rightly no doubt in Oxley's mind as he picked it up. Was just a miss-control from the big man. However, agree with the general thought on here that he wasn't bad at all, on the whole.

I agree that it wasn't a passback, but he shouldn't be giving the ref a decision to make. It's not like he was under any pressure.

And while the ref could have been worse, there were a few late tackles that should have been bookings, and one or two that I thought should have been reds. Millers in particular.

Sir David Gray
14-02-2015, 12:23 AM
The pass back decision was unacceptable.

That could have lead to them scoring and therefore equalising and then we've got to score again to get back in front.

I could see from the other end of the pitch that it was never a pass back.

Shocking.

caithnesshibee
14-02-2015, 01:09 AM
If the forearm smash on Hanlon by Miller had been the other way around, Hanlon would have been off. The award of the free kick for the "pass back" the constant non booking off Boyd amongst others and not giving the pelanty against Robbo. Aye he was magic. We can forgive him the last one though.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-02-2015, 01:15 AM
That pass back decision looked ludicrous from the other end of the pitch. Still, Craig Thomson would have managed to award them two penalties in that second half

Aldo
14-02-2015, 07:36 AM
He was ok but with the score still 0-1 he seemed to be doing his very best to give fouls around the edge of the box.

What I don't get is why der Hun got away with kicking us up and down the park yet some got away without a telling off. Boyd and Clark should of been booked. Boyd for persistent and Clark for his tackle on Lewis.

Onion
14-02-2015, 07:52 AM
The free kick for the pass back :faf: was cheating, a bloody ridiculous decision and if the had scored from it would have changed everything.

:top marks It was a terrible decision, one of the worst "back-pass" decisions I've seen and could easily have turned the game. That alone makes McLean just another OF fanboy with a whistle.

Del Boy
14-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Ref was ok. Allan's booking was fair enough but few sevco players should have joined him in the book.

WeeRussell
14-02-2015, 09:29 AM
I agree that it wasn't a passback, but he shouldn't be giving the ref a decision to make. It's not like he was under any pressure.

And while the ref could have been worse, there were a few late tackles that should have been bookings, and one or two that I thought should have been reds. Millers in particular.

We won't agree on Oxley haha but I'd go along with your second part, mate. A series of hefty challenges did go unpunished. I guess the Miller naughtiness could have been missed (not sure where the linesman was when it happened?).. not 10/10
but we've had far worse against them.

lord bunberry
14-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Just how many fouls is Boyd allowed during a match before getting booked? Allan got booked for his first mistimed tackle, Boyd bumped and barged players all night and lunged at Gray and not even a word from the ref.

Cant stand Boyd. Odious fat chav.
Allan wasn't booked for his 1st mistimed tackle, he had one earlier were he was lucky that he didn't make contact with the Hun or he'd have been off. He gave away a few free kicks and the referee told him to calm down at one point.

PatHead
14-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Allan wasn't booked for his 1st mistimed tackle, he had one earlier were he was lucky that he didn't make contact with the Hun or he'd have been off. He gave away a few free kicks and the referee told him to calm down at one point.

Noticed the ref having a word with Scott Allan in the first half. He was booked after a warning so no complaints.

The ref did however speak to Boyd on at least 2 occasions though and still let him carry on. He could well have given the penalty just before our second, missed that foul on Stevenson which I thought should have been a straight red, (I hope he is not injured and out for some time as he really was struggling.), didn't book the Rangers boy for diving in the second half and let Law run about kicking anyone.

Sad when we think he had a good game because he didn't give them soft penalties.

CMac1988
14-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Strange one. He done well at time not to respond to the hordes in the stands and got their 'penalty claims' outside of the hand ball right... Cheers.

But in saying that he was far too lenient in giving out cards and Rangers got off lightly with some dangerous tackles.

As for the back pass, Oxley had every right to pick it up as it was never a pass back regardless of the fact he wasn't under pressure.