PDA

View Full Version : Why you should never leave early!

Jonnyboy
11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
My Mum was born in Shrewsbury, as were my four older siblings. As such, I've always looked out for Shrewsbury's results and have watched them several times, including last night (Tuesday).

My younger brother and I, together with my nephew and a friend, travelled down to Carlisle to watch the Shrews try and regain top spot in League Two. It was a decent game with the home side a tad industrial in their approach and the visitors playing some very neat football. Against the run of play, Carlisle took the lead mid way through the second half. Shrewsbury then hit the woodwork three times and it looked like it was going to be one of those nights. The home side, having taken the lead, wasted time at every opportunity but that decision came back to bite them, big time. The ref, who was awful BTW, decided four minutes of additional time. Two minutes in and Shrewsbury equalised when their big left back outjumped Sean O'Hanlon (remember him? :greengrin) and just 54 seconds later, James Collins (remember him, too? :greengrin) crashed home the winner from twelve yards!

So, why am I boring you with this little tale? Only to say that Collins looked like the guy I thought we'd signed and no, I wasn't drunk :greengrin

Ronniekirk
11-02-2015, 10:20 PM
My Mum was born in Shrewsbury, as were my four older siblings. As such, I've always looked out for Shrewsbury's results and have watched them several times, including last night (Tuesday).

My younger brother and I, together with my nephew and a friend, travelled down to Carlisle to watch the Shrews try and regain top spot in League Two. It was a decent game with the home side a tad industrial in their approach and the visitors playing some very neat football. Against the run of play, Carlisle took the lead mid way through the second half. Shrewsbury then hit the woodwork three times and it looked like it was going to be one of those nights. The home side, having taken the lead, wasted time at every opportunity but that decision came back to bite them, big time. The ref, who was awful BTW, decided four minutes of additional time. Two minutes in and Shrewsbury equalised when their big left back outjumped Sean O'Hanlon (remember him? :greengrin) and just 54 seconds later, James Collins (remember him, too? :greengrin) crashed home the winner from twelve yards!

So, why am I boring you with this little tale? Only to say that Collins looked like the guy I thought we'd signed and no, I wasn't drunk :greengrin

Yep I remember him and he was a nightmare for us ,but his record before joining us indicated there was a goalscorer in there but we didn't see the best of him and think we now have a good mix of options ,especially when Farid is back
Nice wee story johnnyboy not boring at all

Aubenas
11-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Always had a soft spot for Shrewsbury. In my ten years in England I supported Southport (still do), and the year they were Div 4 champions they had a great forward called George Andrews who eventually signed for Shrewsbury and did well at Gay Meadow. I also loved the fact that they had a round boat - a coracle, and a guy who would paddle after stray balls that had landed in the river. http://ian.users.netlink.co.uk/shrews/articles/coracle.html

Also, for the highbrows amongst ye, War Poet, Wilfred Owen, grew up there.

Ye could get an Open University degree out of this thread!

And, aye, I always thought Collins came to us at the wrong time. Glad he's doing well, as is Eoin Doyle. Good luck to em - I wonder if they tell everyone that Easter Rd was the strikers' graveyard!

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I was in Carlisle yesterday too, naewhere near the game tho. Although I did have a cheeky wee tenner ew on Collins.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Always had a soft spot for Shrewsbury. In my ten years in England I supported Southport (still do), and the year they were Div 4 champions they had a great forward called George Andrews who eventually signed for Shrewsbury and did well at Gay Meadow. I also loved the fact that they had a round boat - a coracle, and a guy who would paddle after stray balls that had landed in the river. http://ian.users.netlink.co.uk/shrews/articles/coracle.html

Also, for the highbrows amongst ye, War Poet, Wilfred Owen, grew up there.

Ye could get an Open University degree out of this thread!

And, aye, I always thought Collins came to us at the wrong time. Glad he's doing well, as is Eoin Doyle. Good luck to em - I wonder if they tell everyone that Easter Rd was the strikers' graveyard!

Despite it all It appears that in a few cases Hibs are a spring board either way.

Billy Whizz
11-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Hope you and Alan enjoyed the game, still not convinced that Collins had any quality, though I thought he always gave 100%

greenlex
11-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Stanton. Pink bus shelter in the 70s. Never left early since.

Danderhall Hibs
12-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Even if you need to catch the bus?