11-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Emptied.

bit of a shocker its took this long

hfc rd
11-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Inevitable for such a long time.

Onceinawhile
11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Managed to do worse there than Alex Mcleish, which to be fair is an achievement.

Johibs
11-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Wonder what the odds on him becoming Celtic manager at some point are...

Aldo
11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
They are in big trouble tbh and stand a very good chance of being relegated cos they cannot score. Taking this long to sack him could cause Villa their EPL status!

lyonhibs
11-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Apparently last week was his 100th game in charge of Villa and they had lost 49 of them??

How on earth did he last long enough to get to 100 games at that ratio?? :confused:

ScottB
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Apparently last week was his 100th game in charge of Villa and they had lost 49 of them??

How on earth did he last long enough to get to 100 games at that ratio?? :confused:

An owner who gave him zip to spend and was probably trying to avoid paying to replace him.

Considering the money even most promoted teams have thrown around during his tenure, I think he did an alright job all told. Writing has been on the wall for awhile now though.

weonlywon6-2
11-02-2015, 07:14 PM

With that winning rate he could be hibs next manager 😅

tamig
11-02-2015, 07:22 PM

If a manager had lost 49 games but won the other 51, that's a pretty impressive win rate. Lambert did tremendously at Norwich but it just never happened for him at Villa. Decent squad too.

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM
If a manager had lost 49 games but won the other 51, that's a pretty impressive win rate. Lambert did tremendously at Norwich but it just never happened for him at Villa. Decent squad too.

Think he drew about 20 odd. Pretty woeful record for a team that should be pushing for Europe every year at the very least.

Edit:

His record was:

Played 115 Won 34 Drew 26 Lost 55

Barney McGrew
11-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Villa are like the English version of Aberdeen.

Did well in europe one season in the 80's, have done absolutely hee haw since and yet still have delusions of being a big club.

ekhibee
11-02-2015, 07:29 PM
He didn't win the other 51.

Michael
11-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Villa have been rotten for ages. Perhaps a bit like Hibs over the last few seasons? A big club, but consistently struggling at the bottom of the table.

HibbyAndy
11-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Should never have left Norwich.

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 07:32 PM

Did well in europe one season in the 80's, have done absolutely hee haw since and yet still have delusions of being a big club.

Do they not get around 40k a week through the gates? They should be up there with crowds that size.

Beefster
11-02-2015, 07:36 PM
A graveyard for managers.

Winston Ingram
11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
No Scottish Managers left in the English top flight.

tamig
11-02-2015, 07:38 PM
He didn't win the other 51.

I know that. What I'm saying is that just because a manager has a loss ratio of 49% it doesn't have to mean failure - if the rest of his games were wins. His win ratio would look impressive. A high loss rate doesn't necessarily mean a poor points tally if its balanced by wins. Draws are the killer though and Lambert obviously had more than a few of them.

ScottB
11-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Do they not get around 40k a week through the gates? They should be up there with crowds that size.

In a league with billionaire owners and vast sums of TV money, I doubt crowd size is all that big a factor these days in influencing a clubs ability to compete.

Suspect Villa are doomed as long as Lerner remains as owner, he clearly wants out and isn't that fussed about what's going on in the meantime.

Scottie
11-02-2015, 07:45 PM
No Scottish Managers left in the English top flight.
Dissappointing considering how many Scottish managers there has been in the EPL lately.

The Gorf
11-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Charlie Nicholas says on Gillette soccer special that the owners should sell or else get Glenn Hoddle in to manage

ScottB
11-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Charlie Nicholas says on Gillette soccer special that the owners should sell or else get Glenn Hoddle in to manage

God knows why.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Managed to do worse there than Alex Mcleish, which to be fair is an achievement.

Not quite. Lambert 29% win rate. McLeish 21%. Neither have done much to inspire confidence in Scottish managers amongst Villa fans.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-02-2015, 08:02 PM

Not really. They are Birmingham's biggest team by a distance. Birmingham is England's second city. They are a big team that should be challenging for top 6 each season. If only they were being run properly

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2015, 08:04 PM
God knows why.

it is because Hoddle was nasty to someone in a previous life.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Stubbs.

jacomo
11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
They are in big trouble tbh and stand a very good chance of being relegated cos they cannot score. Taking this long to sack him could cause Villa their EPL status!

:agree:

Villa need a jump start and Lambert just wasn't doing it. He'll take a tidy pay off having signed that 4 year contract in the autumn.

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Stubbs.

I've got the fear.

ekhibee
11-02-2015, 08:52 PM
I know that. What I'm saying is that just because a manager has a loss ratio of 49% it doesn't have to mean failure - if the rest of his games were wins. His win ratio would look impressive. A high loss rate doesn't necessarily mean a poor points tally if its balanced by wins. Draws are the killer though and Lambert obviously had more than a few of them.
Yes, very true. I'm kind of torn about this. Lambert's always seemed like quite a nice guy, and at Norwich he was good, but for me anyway, the Villa job looked to big for him, and too often he looked lost and didn't know what to do. I do think he's been let down by some of the players as well. Benteke's been injured, but even when he was playing his goal rate for Villa was nothing to write home about, even if Belgian players seem to be 'in vogue' just now.Agbonlahore used to be an excellent striker, particularly under O'Neill, but the sale of Ashley Young to Man Utd broke up a good scoring partnership up front, and Delph is erratic and supposedly wanted away. I'm sure Lambert won't have a problem finding another club, although maybe not a Premiership one.

PatHead
11-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Surprised it took so long! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31431649

Holmesdale Hibs
11-02-2015, 10:15 PM
I saw Villa play last year (vs CPFC, my English team) and they were utter *****. How we only beat them 1-0 I'll never know.

Lambert has had plenty time to build a team and they're getting worse. So a change is necessary IMO.

If they do stay up then they'll need to spend some money but they're chairman seems to be straight out the Petrie school of economics.

hfc rd
11-02-2015, 11:00 PM

They've done very well since DMcI has come in. Building a very good side.

snooky
12-02-2015, 12:32 AM
Not really. They are Birmingham's biggest team by a distance. Birmingham is England's second city. They are a big team that should be challenging for top 6 each season. If only they were being run properly

:hmmm: Could also apply to a Scottish team we know......

jacomo
12-02-2015, 06:59 AM

:agree:

Villa aren't in bad shape. 40k stadium bigger than most, large fanbase inc. huge opportunities with local companies. Brum seems a city on the up. Randy Lerner has lost a lot of money but they've got potential.

lyonhibs
12-02-2015, 08:50 AM

It should be said that I made my original comment re: the 49 losses safe in the knowledge that - in this case at least - it did mean he'd been a rotten manager as Villa wins (from my admitted lazy MoTD memories) have been as rare as hens teeth for the last year or 2.

Villa seem to be in a bit of a permanent stasis. Decent crowds but honestly since Dwight Yorke et al, have they ever been a really good footballing side?

Future17
12-02-2015, 09:38 AM
It should be said that I made my original comment re: the 49 losses safe in the knowledge that - in this case at least - it did mean he'd been a rotten manager as Villa wins (from my admitted lazy MoTD memories) have been as rare as hens teeth for the last year or 2.

Villa seem to be in a bit of a permanent stasis. Decent crowds but honestly since Dwight Yorke et al, have they ever been a really good footballing side?

I think the majority of Villa fans (and external observers) think they are a decent footballing side, however, they don't score enough goals.

Not long after Lambert first arrived, he tried to set them up as a counter-attacking side due to the pace they had, but it never quite worked for a few different reasons. Perhaps too late, he changed to try and play an attractive, ball-retention style with lots of passing and width, but they still weren't creating the number of chances which you need to at EPL level to win games.

I feel a bit sorry for him as, with the players he had available and the lack of transfer funds, I think he achieved as much as could be expected. He also wasn't helped by Petrov's illness and retirement, as he was a massive player for them both on and off the pitch.

Given the financial constraints, his transfer record with Villa wasn't all that bad, having brought in Benteke, Guzan, Vlaar, Okore and Joe Cole. He did sign a lot of duds, but he had to take risks to try and find cheap gems and I think he did that with a few players. He also signed Carles Gil and Scott Sinclair last month and I think they're both good players.

To me, it looks like the owner has panicked at the prospect of relegation and the effect that might have on his attempts to sell the club. I genuinely don't think anyone coming in there now will do a better job in the long-term under the current board regime.

It will be interesting to see how Lambert does in his next job as, ultimately, it may be the one he is judged on after a mixed record with Livvy, Wycombe, Colchester, Norwich and Villa. I could see him doing a good job at Fulham or a club like that.

NAE NOOKIE
12-02-2015, 09:57 AM
No surprise he has gone ... good luck to him though, seems like a decent guy.

I remember watching him utterly dominate a Motherwell v Yams game on the telly when he was a player and thinking, "how have the ugly sisters missed this guy" .... within a year he was at Dortmund.

PeterboroHibee
12-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I think the majority of Villa fans (and external observers) think they are a decent footballing side, however, they don't score enough goals.

Not long after Lambert first arrived, he tried to set them up as a counter-attacking side due to the pace they had, but it never quite worked for a few different reasons. Perhaps too late, he changed to try and play an attractive, ball-retention style with lots of passing and width, but they still weren't creating the number of chances which you need to at EPL level to win games.

I feel a bit sorry for him as, with the players he had available and the lack of transfer funds, I think he achieved as much as could be expected. He also wasn't helped by Petrov's illness and retirement, as he was a massive player for them both on and off the pitch.

Given the financial constraints, his transfer record with Villa wasn't all that bad, having brought in Benteke, Guzan, Vlaar, Okore and Joe Cole. He did sign a lot of duds, but he had to take risks to try and find cheap gems and I think he did that with a few players. He also signed Carles Gil and Scott Sinclair last month and I think they're both good players.

To me, it looks like the owner has panicked at the prospect of relegation and the effect that might have on his attempts to sell the club. I genuinely don't think anyone coming in there now will do a better job in the long-term under the current board regime.

It will be interesting to see how Lambert does in his next job as, ultimately, it may be the one he is judged on after a mixed record with Livvy, Wycombe, Colchester, Norwich and Villa. I could see him doing a good job at Fulham or a club like that.

I think its actually been quite bad tbh. His first season he focused on bringing in mostly youngsters from the lower leagues, with a few signings like Benteke and Vlaar, which seemed like a reasonable approach. His second season was mainly guys from Europe, none of whom have been particularly successful imo. This season I dont know what he was thinking in signing guys like Cole, Senderos and Richardson tbh. I accept he had a small budget, but he must have been aware of that when taking the job. This season has been a complete disaster, and it takes some effort to have only scored 12 league goals so far into the season!

snooky
12-02-2015, 02:33 PM
He seems to have left with dignity however his choice not to include chief exec Tom Fox in his departing praises speaks volumes.

MWHIBBIES
12-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Yes, very true. I'm kind of torn about this. Lambert's always seemed like quite a nice guy, and at Norwich he was good, but for me anyway, the Villa job looked to big for him, and too often he looked lost and didn't know what to do. I do think he's been let down by some of the players as well. Benteke's been injured, but even when he was playing his goal rate for Villa was nothing to write home about, even if Belgian players seem to be 'in vogue' just now.Agbonlahore used to be an excellent striker, particularly under O'Neill, but the sale of Ashley Young to Man Utd broke up a good scoring partnership up front, and Delph is erratic and supposedly wanted away. I'm sure Lambert won't have a problem finding another club, although maybe not a Premiership one.37 goals in 79 games for a rubbish premier league team is pretty damn good.

CalgaryHibs
12-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Correct !;)

CalgaryHibs
12-02-2015, 04:37 PM

Correct again it's amazing size of this club is staying up year after year Brum city are a bigger club with bigger support and where are they ?

PatHead
12-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Was manager when this happened.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR8P-IpJy18