PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle v Aston Villa 28th Feb

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Thinking of taking the wee man to his first Premiership game. Having never been to St James Park before I was wondering if anyone has any tips? I know the stadium is around a 10 minute walk from Newcastle Central rail station isn't it? ANy decent food places (ie Wetherspoons etc?) in close proximity? I take it any stand is safe enough to head into with an 8 year old?

Aldo
11-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Superb place to go and you should have no issues.

When you come out the station it's all sign posted for stadium. If you cross the road and then veer off to right and head up towards Bigg Market there is a Yates Wine lodge just 100 yds up the road. Keep walking up and you'll see Eldon Sq and there are loads of places to eat in and around there, including various Wetherspoons.

Your usual McDonalds and KFC are not far away.

Stadium is 5 mins walk from there. As I mentioned it's well sign posted wherever you are.

Enjoy

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Thinking of taking the wee man to his first Premiership game. Having never been to St James Park before I was wondering if anyone has any tips? I know the stadium is around a 10 minute walk from Newcastle Central rail station isn't it? ANy decent food places (ie Wetherspoons etc?) in close proximity? I take it any stand is safe enough to head into with an 8 year old?

Head to the Irish centre (it's a venue on 2 floors) mate, 5 minute walk from the ground good mix of supporter and atmosphere in the there with food available too. Was in there for the recent Newcastle v Liverpool game no problems. We went in the Gallowgate end too, they were quite friendly :wink:

WeeRussell
11-02-2015, 11:11 AM
I don't recommend the 'Mag-pies' that are sold within the stadium :aok:

Enjoy.

TOON!

Billy Whizz
11-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Remember you're supporting Ashley's loans to Rangers, if you buy a Newcastle ticket

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Remember you're supporting Ashley's loans to Rangers, if you buy a Newcastle ticket

No he's paying to watch a game with his son, he pays his money and gets to watch the game which is exactly what he is paying for!

Luna Landing
11-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Its a great day out at St James Park. If you walk up to the ground from the station you pass through Chinatown - lots of restaurants there with deals at lunch time . Enjoy

StevieT
11-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Its a great day out at St James Park. If you walk up to the ground from the station you pass through Chinatown - lots of restaurants there with deals at lunch time . Enjoy

Fantastic food in Chinatown. I would recommend any of them.

StevieC
11-02-2015, 11:57 AM

There's a Wetherspoons down to the right (just past the lights) as you come out the station called "The Union Rooms". There's another Wetherspoons in roughly the same direction (take a left up Grainger Street) called "The Mile Castle".

Head to the Irish centre (it's a venue on 2 floors) mate, 5 minute walk from the ground good mix of supporter and atmosphere in the there with food available too.

The Irish Centre is good if there's a Scottish match on live, or if you want a cheap beer, but the food isn't really up to much. Certainly wouldn't be my recommendation for a first visit to Newcastle.

This sort of thing is really starting to get my goat.
The ticket money will go to funding the Newcastle team. Remember that Newcastle fans have been trying to get Ashley out for a lot longer than he's had any involvement with the huns. Ashley may well be the owner of Newcastle United but anything that gets thrown towards Ibrox is purely Ashley's business and NOTHING to do with Newcastle United and its long suffering supporters.

StevieC
11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
Fantastic food in Chinatown. I would recommend any of them.

I tend to go for "Lau's Buffet King" because it's the cheapest, with a good sized "all you can eat" section which might suit an 8 year old better. You've also got "Lau's 202 Buffet House" a little bit further on in Newgate Street which is one of these Chinese restaurants that also does Sushi, Teriyaki, Pizza,etc. A little bit more expensive but better selection and better quality.

All within a couple of minutes walk from the stadium.

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 12:16 PM
Fantastic info folks, much appreciated! Looks like we'll be sitting in the Leazes East Corner as most of the other sections are single seats or too pricey :thumbsup:

allezsauzee
11-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Was down there for the premier league darts last year and went to the Mile Castle which is a Wetherspoons. The usual cheap prices but it's a very nice pub and food was simple but good.

StevieC
11-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Was down there for the premier league darts last year and went to the Mile Castle which is a Wetherspoons. The usual cheap prices but it's a very nice pub and food was simple but good.

I agree. The only issue I had there was the waiting time, but it may just have been a busy day.

Fantastic info folks, much appreciated! Looks like we'll be sitting in the Leazes East Corner as most of the other sections are single seats or too pricey :thumbsup:

North West Corner of Leazes is a good view, and not as cramped looking as the East Corner. Back rows of Level 2 are good (L2B,L2C-row Y), and currently got seats together.

The_Exile
11-02-2015, 01:04 PM
I agree. The only issue I had there was the waiting time, but it may just have been a busy day.

North West Corner of Leazes is a good view, and not as cramped looking as the East Corner. Back rows of Level 2 are good (L2B,L2C-row Y), and currently got seats together.

Cheers Stevie, haven't bought the tickets yet so will go for that area you mention :aok: