PDA

View Full Version : If Celtic win the league and play us in the final

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Will that be Hibs guaranteed a European place?

Sylar
09-02-2015, 02:06 PM

I think they got rid of the European slot for the cup runner up, did they not?

CallumLaidlaw
09-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Yes

Europe 2014/15
The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Premiership Champions
Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)

Scottish Cup winners
Europa League qualifying round 2

Scottish Premiership runners-up

Scottish Premiership third place
Europa League qualifying round 1

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

Mathias Jack
09-02-2015, 02:08 PM
This should help clear it up for you, from the SPFL website :aok:

Europe 2014/15
The entry of Scottish clubs to UEFA’s club competitions for Season 2014/15 is determined by reference to the UEFA Country Ranking at the end of Season 2012/13.

At that time, Scotland was ranked 24. This provides access for three clubs through their Scottish Professional Football League position at the end of this Season and one club through this Season’s Scottish Cup.

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2014/15 will be as follows:

Scottish Cup winners

In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2.

tartanhibee
09-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I think we all need to calm down and get through the quarter final first.

One game at a time.

Brightside
09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
|Please just stop it all with the Cup Final chat...

lord bunberry
09-02-2015, 02:13 PM
I think they got rid of the European slot for the cup runner up, did they not?

No, we played Malmö because Celtic had already qualified for Europe

wills
09-02-2015, 02:13 PM

Europe 2014/15

Scottish Cup winners

This is for season 2014/15, will this be the same for next season 2015/16?

S4uzee
09-02-2015, 02:16 PM

:agree: its horrible

snooky
09-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Aye - too right.

Many of these to come yet ...

:nanawave: :banana::nanafunk::nanasplit:

...... the kind we've stepped on loads of times before!

Mathias Jack
09-02-2015, 02:17 PM
This is for season 2014/15, will this be the same for next season 2015/16?

I'd like to think so, but you never know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-02-2015, 02:20 PM

One game at a time.

The day I start worrying about a home tie v either of those two is the day I chuck it in.

Hermit Crab
09-02-2015, 02:26 PM

One game at a time.

:agree: its horrible

Aye - too right.

Many of these to come yet ...

:nanawave: :banana::nanafunk::nanasplit:

...... the kind we've stepped on loads of times before!

100% agree. Instant ban for anyone who posts about us getting to the final or playing in europe next season because its utter nonsense at the moment:wink:. Yes we might win against Berwick or Spartans but a howler draw in the semi might await us.

Just calm down everyone. :greengrin

Keith_M
09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
It's irrelevant, cos we're only in the Quarter Finals.

PerfectlyFranck
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Yes

Europe 2014/15

Scottish Cup winners

That is from last season, it applies to this season only.
I recall reading either on a forum or news article online that the runners-up place was to be scrapped.
I didn't hear anything since then on a date, but it might happen from next season unless someone can confirm otherwise?

Even for a hypothetical, this thread is a bit too far ahead of itself!
We'll probably get hammered by a Spartans/Berwick now...

Pretty Boy
09-02-2015, 02:40 PM

One game at a time.

Absolutely this.

Sylar
09-02-2015, 02:42 PM
No, we played Malmö because Celtic had already qualified for Europe

I thought there was chat of closing the loophole to ensure a Queen of the South never managed to get into Europe again...

Clearly I'm wrong - I just have a vague impression of it being discussed a wee while back :aok:

lord bunberry
09-02-2015, 02:57 PM
I thought there was chat of closing the loophole to ensure a Queen of the South never managed to get into Europe again...

Clearly I'm wrong - I just have a vague impression of it being discussed a wee while back :aok:

I think it was being discussed. I was surprised to learn we had qualified for Europe last time regardless of the outcome of the final.

Geo_1875
09-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Knowing the football authorities in Scotland there will probably be nothing in writing and they'll make a decision when the time comes based on the best interests of the whole of Scottish football and not purely on which team it involves.

lucky
09-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Keep talking a possible cup final up. It's what football is all about. The excitement of finals and playing away in Europe. It's also make the yams jealous. But more importantly it helps to bring the feel good factor back to our club. As fans we can all dream.

bod
09-02-2015, 03:40 PM
It's irrelevant, cos we're only in the Quarter Finals.
This

Northernhibee
09-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Cup final? :hyper

erin go bragh
09-02-2015, 06:03 PM
I wish we would stop this kind of stuff . Best to leave this kind of pisss to that lot on brokeback ,
Never count your chickens and that .

Ggtth

jgl07
09-02-2015, 06:21 PM

The SFA have tried to change the rule several times. Having the likes of Airdrie, Dunfermline, Queen of the South, and Gretna representing Scotland in Europe while in the second tier did not help the national coefficient.

This was rejected repeated by UEFA who insist that either the winner or the runner-up in the Scottish Cup contest the Europa League.

The rule has not been changed and will be changed. If Celtic win the League and the Cup, the cup runner-up will be in the Europa Cup.

emerald green
09-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Even mentioning Hibs and the cup final at this stage of the competition is just asking for it really. Talk about tempting fate.

It's a very favourable draw for Hibs today, but that's all.

sleeping giant
09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Can we not dream anymore ?

FFS , nowt wrong with a dream to cling to.

I can't wait for the final. I need 6 extra tickets if anyone has any going spare.

Andy74
09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
No one is taking it for granted but if you can't get a sense of interest about the possibilities then you are best giving up.

emerald green
09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Can we not dream anymore ?

FFS , nowt wrong with a dream to cling to.

I can't wait for the final. I need 6 extra tickets if anyone has any going spare.

Nothing wrong with dreaming.

No one is taking it for granted but if you can't get a sense of interest about the possibilities then you are best giving up.

I'm not too sure that's 100% accurate. I'm well aware of the possibilities. I'll never give up on hoping to see Hibs lift this cup, having seen them lose in five Scottish Cup Finals.

Maybe that's what makes me a wee bit cautious when it comes to Hibs and the Scottish Cup.

Sir David Gray
09-02-2015, 06:40 PM
We're playing either Spartans or Berwick Rangers for a place in the semi finals of the Scottish Cup, it's normal (not to mention a good sign) that people are therefore talking up our chances of a place in the final.

HH81
09-02-2015, 06:45 PM
I am just glad i booked that deal at started of the season which included a seat on the open top bus for after the final.

Hermit Crab
09-02-2015, 06:47 PM
We're playing either Spartans or Berwick Rangers for a place in the semi finals of the Scottish Cup, it's normal (not to mention a good sign) that people are therefore talking up our chances of a place in the final.

Lets just worry about getting to the semi first. Yes theres a chance but thats it. A chance and nothing else, not a gimme, not a bye its just a chance.

Sir David Gray
09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Lets just worry about getting to the semi first. Yes theres a chance but thats it. A chance and nothing else, not a gimme, not a bye its just a chance.

There's nine teams left who can win the Scottish Cup this year and we're one of them and we're going to playing the weakest team left in the draw at home.

That counts as a very good chance.

Cropley10
09-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Surely if The Rangers were runners up to Champion s Celtc then the Ibrox Club would be allowed to take their rightful place etc? :confused:

Stantons Angel
09-02-2015, 08:40 PM

One game at a time.

My thoughts entirely!

This happens to us every year, we go off on a tangent getting way ahead of ourselves. Remember the fall out from the many other times you have done this and been so disappointed. Then come on here and gripe on about their hurt and disappointment.

Dont build yourselves up for a fall and lets get the next round over with first. If we get through that then we still have another game to get through before the real excitement will set in.

Remember how we all felt after THAT cup final! Lets win the next two games first and keep a lid on it till the time comes!

lord bunberry
09-02-2015, 08:47 PM

Pish! We've as good as won it already

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-02-2015, 08:51 PM
My thoughts entirely!

This happens to us every year, we go off on a tangent getting way ahead of ourselves. Remember the fall out from the many other times you have done this and been so disappointed. Then come on here and gripe on about their hurt and disappointment.

Dont build yourselves up for a fall and lets get the next round over with first. If we get through that then we still have another game to get through before the real excitement will set in.

Remember how we all felt after THAT cup final! Lets win the next two games first and keep a lid on it till the time comes!

Thats the spirit! Dinnae get excited about your teams prospects in case it all goes pear shaped, thats what its all about!

hfc rd
09-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Lets just take it one game at a time guys.

Eyrie
09-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Simple solution.

Let's just win the damned thing and then it won't matter what happens to the runner up.

poolman
09-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves here

lord bunberry
09-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Lets just take it one game at a time guys.

I am. As far as I'm concerned we're one game away from another final

Brightside
09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Thats the spirit! Dinnae get excited about your teams prospects in case it all goes pear shaped, thats what its all about!

Get excited after we win the next two games... :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Think we're getting WAY ahead of ourselves here
Further ahead than folk predicting promotion via the play-offs?

Gerard
09-02-2015, 11:00 PM
We need to be respectful to all teams we play. We are only into the QFs of the Scottish Cup. We have been given a very good draw and chance of getting through to the SFs. Let us show respect to the teams that we may play if we win our games. As we know the Scottish Cup tends to create unexpected results:wink:

southern hibby
09-02-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm calling it now Hibs v ICT Final. We win it. Dundee utd to beat lesser greens then get beat of ICT, in the semi's. Us to beat Berwick then QoTS.

If only ( I can but dream )

GGTTH

Scottie
09-02-2015, 11:11 PM
We need to be respectful to all teams we play. We are only into the QFs of the Scottish Cup. We have been given a very good draw and chance of getting through to the SFs. Let us show respect to the teams that we may play if we win our games. As we know the Scottish Cup tends to create unexpected results:wink:
:top marks Excellent post G.

greenlex
10-02-2015, 02:24 AM
**** it. I can't handle all this cup final talk either. I hope Spartans pump us be that will be an end to it.

Pete
10-02-2015, 06:15 AM
"Worry about the next game first"

"Be cautious or you'll end up looking stupid if we lose"

"Blah blah blah!"

What a bunch of losers. We've about a 90% chance of being in the semi so why not get excited about it instead of worrying about the 10%

I'm not going to be on the pitch so don't worry...I'm sure the players will be a bit more professional.

Get the buses booked for April lads. :thumbsup:

Onion
10-02-2015, 06:58 AM

"Blah blah blah!"

What a bunch of losers. We've about a 90% chance of being in the semi so why not get excited about it instead of worrying about the 10%

I'm not going to be on the pitch so don't worry...I'm sure the players will be a bit more professional.

:top marks We've tried everything else in the last 113 years and nothing has worked. Staying humble and quiet has done us no good. Media and other clubs sit back and chuckle at our inevitable failure, and we've looked stupid on more occasions than I care to mention.

Time for change. We've a better team than 2012, 2013 and the remaining teams are worse than then. Spartans and Berwick are in for a beating when they come to ER and none of the remain teams will want to meet Hibs. The only ones who'll fear Hibs in the Final will be our opponents and the Yams !

California-Hibs
10-02-2015, 08:47 AM

"Blah blah blah!"

This!!! We're going to the semi final guys!! Can't wait, a decent draw and we'll then maybe be in the final. Then it's time to book a flight home from California!

Yep, I'm thinking THAT far ahead!

lord bunberry
10-02-2015, 08:55 AM
This!!! We're going to the semi final guys!! Can't wait, a decent draw and we'll then maybe be in the final. Then it's time to book a flight home from California!

Yep, I'm thinking THAT far ahead!

If I was you I would email hibs to find out what day they're planning to have the open top bus parade, you'll need to know that before booking flights.

oneone73
10-02-2015, 08:57 AM
If I was you I would email hibs to find out what day they're planning to have the open top bus parade, you'll need to know that before booking flights.

It'll be after we win promotion IMO. You might have to hang around for a week.

lord bunberry
10-02-2015, 08:59 AM
It'll be after we win promotion IMO. You might have to hang around for a week.

Thats a good point, I'd forgotten about the promotion party. We will probably do some kind of double celebration

Nutmegged
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
We need to start having more confidence as a fan base, I've always believed that a big factor in the way Hearts always seemed to do us was because bravado apart, we always tended to go into these games expecting it to end badly, for years I've felt that would often and obviously unintentionally get into the psyche of the players and management team.

The club have tried to reinvent themselves in the last 8 months, its not been plain sailing and some of the same problems are still evident but its always going to be a slow process when you don't have the access to a bottomless pit of funds, th3 flipside is always that the club have to give us a reason to believe too, I think there is enough chinks of light to start believing we can actually succeed, I'm 100% confident we can get to the Semi-Final and if Utd knock Celtic out then given our performance against Utd earlier in the Season and given since then we've improved and they have undoubtedly been weakened then I'd fancy our chances against anyone in a one-off match.

Waxy
10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
After Mamlo i doubt i'll ever look forward to a European match again.

Waxy
10-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Mamlo? Malmo

Waxy
10-02-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm calling it now Hibs v ICT Final. We win it. Dundee utd to beat lesser greens then get beat of ICT, in the semi's. Us to beat Berwick then QoTS.

GGTTHWhy not? The ultimate dream cup run has to happen eventually.

Bad Martini
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Given the planetary alignments, the convergence of various matters in the universe and the fact we are playing (either) team who we should skelp or frankly give ****ing up now, I'm off to find cheap flights :greengrin

Europe get ready, tae party aw night....:na na:

RIP Bestie
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
This is maybe why we haven't won the thing for so long.
Never mind showing them respect, believe you can win it, go in with a winning mentality and it might just happen.

WeeRussell
10-02-2015, 11:40 AM

Nothing wrong with the OP asking the question though? Still nice to know what the perms are - in the same way we know what happens if we get 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.. without counting any chickens.

(whilst pretending I am no getting prematurely excited myself)

:flag:

Onion
10-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Agreed, by battering them senseless on our way to our inevitable VICTORY on 30 May 2015 :thumbsup:

And, the most unexpected result in Scottish Cup history would be a Hibernian win. :aok:

zlatan
10-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Will the commemorative movie for the cup win be out on dvd or digital download only?

Lee Marvin
10-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I know this is a big 'what if, but what happens if we get to both finals (playoffs and SC)? Will the playoff final therefore be well into June? It woukd logically have to be seen as the premiership doesn't finish until 23rd may.

More excellent planning from Doncaster and co.

Onion
10-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Will the commemorative movie for the cup win be out on dvd or digital download only?

Both. Petrie should be selling movie rights as we speak. "Breaking Good - Hibee Horror to Hampden Glory" ® all rights reserved :greengrin will make Fever Pitch look like a quaint English rom com.

danhibees1875
10-02-2015, 01:52 PM
I know this is a big 'what if, but what happens if we get to both finals (playoffs and SC)? Will the playoff final therefore be well into June? It woukd logically have to be seen as the premiership doesn't finish until 23rd may.

More excellent planning from Doncaster and co.

Yep. Couple that with us being in Europe in mid July and it'll be a short break for the boys this summer :greengrin

Zazu62
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM

GGTTH

Sounds good to me

Pete
10-02-2015, 02:49 PM
:top marks We've tried everything else in the last 113 years and nothing has worked. Staying humble and quiet has done us no good. Media and other clubs sit back and chuckle at our inevitable failure, and we've looked stupid on more occasions than I care to mention.

Time for change. We've a better team than 2012, 2013 and the remaining teams are worse than then. Spartans and Berwick are in for a beating when they come to ER and none of the remain teams will want to meet Hibs. The only ones who'll fear Hibs in the Final will be our opponents and the Yams !

It's not really about fans contributing to some collective effort for me as I'm not sure it makes that much difference. It's about looking at the probabilities of winning a match and getting excited about the outcome that's highly likely.

I'm not going to worry about the final because if we draw Celtic, ICT or United we are probably going out. The semi will be a day out and if the best happens then it will be a bonus. I certainly won't be worrying about getting enthusiastic in case we go out.

People who are still worrying about the small possibility of a shock after a draw like this must have a pretty miserable time following hibs. They'd be a lot happier in their football supporting life if they just chilled out, stopped worrying and let it go. It should be fun.

LancsHibs
10-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Will I be able to get a copy for my Betamax?

Stranraer
10-02-2015, 02:59 PM
It's just a case of when Celtic win the league and unfortunately can't see anyone stopping them from winning the treble now.