PDA

View Full Version : What is the highest level of football you played at?

theonlywayisup
08-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Complete honesty required! Any good stories to tell about your football (in) competence?

worcesterhibby
08-02-2015, 09:26 PM
once had to go off injured from a Uni match because I was hit by a golf ball from a wayward drive from the golf course next to the pitches !

theonlywayisup
08-02-2015, 09:27 PM
A supplementary question is to state the most famous ground / park that you played a competitive match at.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Highest level I played a competitive game at is East of Scotland. Also played juniors competitively.

Most famous ground I've played at is Tynecastle twice. Also played at Cliftonhill, Shielfield and Gayfield. Think that's it for league grounds.

Biggie
08-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Highest level was East of scotland, and a brief sortie into the juniors.....felt most comfortable playing with my mates at amateur level.
Scored in a 2-2 draw with Cowdenbeath, playing for the vale of leithen.....and managed to play against a hibs select for the vale in a testimonial for my mate.

All in all, pretty uneventful.....

Hibernian Verse
08-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Uni level. Best stadium I've played at is Murrayfield.

sleeping giant
08-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Dumbryden Primary.
I once played at Meggatland :greengrin

Malthibby
08-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Basic amateur - got completely found out when I went to Glasgow where junior players also played in amateur teams, realised then that I really was completely pish:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Pub league .... This makes me an expert on anything hearts do :greengrin

Thecat23
08-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Highest level was expert level on FIFA v the Comp!

Sadly I got an injury at 17 that ended any real career I had! I was rapid a well.

InterviewLoI
08-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Played in the Dublin District Schoolboy League "D" division and was told by a manager of a League of Ireland under-age team that I could be playing LoI under 19 (I was 16 at the time) if I weren't as disgustingly unfit. I took his advice on board and went home and ate a 12 inch pizza all by myself!

Houchy
08-02-2015, 10:26 PM
2 games for East Fife under Jimmy Bone.

Had a kick about on a beach in Sadinia in 1998 with 'Franco Zola and Luca Vialli too when teaching them golf.

Hannah_hfc
08-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Womens Football League 2nd Division and a few Scottish Cup ties.

Unfortunately no famous or fancy pitches were played on :greengrin

wookie70
08-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I used to play in the Maybury League which was half football and half kick boxing most of the time.

One game stands out in terms of venue as it was behind the wall at Saughton Prison. Our captain gave the usual take no prisoners team talk and we went out to play the inmates. Without doubt they were the fairest team in the league, super fit and well disciplined. I think they got kicked out of the team if they got in bother and it was of course something they all wanted to take part in.

Apart from being a decent side they also had the advantage of playing all their games at home!

erin go bragh
08-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Pub league but have played at Easter Road . Hibs fans v Hibs heros .(Ian Murrays testimonial )Zinged a sreamer towards the top corner , only for Callum Antell to tip it over :(

Ggtth

CB_NO3
08-02-2015, 10:41 PM
I played in your typical Saturday Edinburgh Juvenille league. I played for Tynecastle, Fernieside, Glenpark and Dunedin. I had a couple of trial games with St Johnstone but was far too slow 😃

I used to love playing at Olive Bank in Finals as a kid. It had a proper pie stand. Thought I had hit the big time haha.

iwasthere1972
08-02-2015, 10:41 PM
I played for my primary school. For some reason I was stuck in goal where nobody else wanted to play. I saw myself as the next Peter Cormack and not Gordon Banks. One particular Saturday morning I got up to get ready to go up to Hyvots where we were due to play that morning. Looked out the window and saw all the snow so thought to myself sod that and went back to my warm bed.

I'm probably a Liam Craig.

Cauld Bovril
08-02-2015, 10:49 PM
I went from Jim McLean and Paul Hegarty singing my praises while playing for Edinburgh schools to a Sunday pub league team where the immortal line, just shoot the keeper's *****, was aimed at my good self :greengrin. Wine, women and song lead to a rapid demise I'm afraid.
Most famous stadium I played in was the Ullevi in Gothenburg. I say played in, I mean we sneaked in and played pairs while over there for the Gothia Cup.

son of haggart
08-02-2015, 11:32 PM
I used to play in the Maybury League which was half football and half kick boxing most of the time.

One game stands out in terms of venue as it was behind the wall at Saughton Prison. Our captain gave the usual take no prisoners team talk and we went out to play the inmates. Without doubt they were the fairest team in the league, super fit and well disciplined. I think they got kicked out of the team if they got in bother and it was of course something they all wanted to take part in.

Apart from being a decent side they also had the advantage of playing all their games at home!

Played a murderer in Saughton Prison at chess once. He refused a draw in a blatantly losing position just to get me to come back and play on on another day

And I had a similar experience to yours playing probationers down here in London - couldn't be more apologetic after a bad tackle etc.

Head butted to the ground once in Niddrie in the Maybury League and some battles royal in other games with referees not to be seen. At least one of the Pia bros played for our team

matty_f
08-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Basic amateur - got completely found out when I went to Glasgow where junior players also played in amateur teams, realised then that I really was completely pish:greengrin

I played against Malthibby. :agree:

ozwoody
08-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I went from Jim McLean and Paul Hegarty singing my praises while playing for Edinburgh schools to a Sunday pub league team where the immortal line, just shoot the keeper's *****, was aimed at my good self :greengrin. Wine, women and song lead to a rapid demise I'm afraid.
Most famous stadium I played in was the Ullevi in Gothenburg. I say played in, I mean we sneaked in and played pairs while over there for the Gothia Cup.

I did same when royston roseberry played in gothia cup in 1985

monktonharp
09-02-2015, 12:05 AM
played for our local BB team from Newcraighall, doon at the gas works in Mussie, Goosegreen. we usually only turned up with about 8 players v eleven, so got humped regularly but put up a good fight of things, usually after the match :greengrin

mca
09-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Couple of Jumpers - or - Two Trees :wink:

snooky
09-02-2015, 12:09 AM
In the late 60's we used to go to the pub for several jars Sunday lunchtimes. After that we'd go directly to the park for a bounce game against the local pub.
One of my mates (in his best suit) kicked off one game. Alas, he was so drunk he fell over and landed on his back and just lay there.
We played around him till the end of the game and then we all went home.
He said he woke up about 7pm alone on the centre circle - his face all sunburned.

And you tell that to the kids today and they don't believe you.

monktonharp
09-02-2015, 12:26 AM
In the late 60's we used to go to the pub for several jars Sunday lunchtimes. After that we'd go directly to the park for a bounce game against the local pub.
One of my mates (in his best suit) kicked off one game. Alas, he was so drunk he fell over and landed on his back and just lay there.
We played around him till the end of the game and then we all went home.
He said he woke up about 7pm alone on the centre circle - his face all sunburned.

And you tell that to the kids today and they don't believe you.nowadays, they'd steal yer suit, yer phone and money. take pictures of you and put it on facebook.:rolleyes:

Allant1981
09-02-2015, 06:41 AM
I played a few pre season games for east stirling but that was purely to help out the manager who was a friend of thee father in laws, played amateur for years. To be honest there wasnt much difference. My team would probably have beaten ES

MSK
09-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Played amateur for Brunstane Bar then Maybury leagues for around 12 years with Kings Park ...claim to fame was scoring from my own half v Busy Bee in a 3-2 win at Jack Kane ..a wind assisted clearance that came back down with snow on it. they all count though ...:greengrin

When Kings Park split up I had the misfortune of playing in the Edinburgh Amateur leagues with Milton Star (Captains Bar) ..great guys but an erse of a Manager (ex Brunstane) ..I hung up my boots after that ill fated year ..

Managed hibs.net team to a 1-0 win over the bounce at Meadowbank stadium a few years back ....:flag:

CallumLaidlaw
09-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Went to school in England. Had a trial for Cheshire schoolboys, and played for Nantwich towns (8th tier of English football) youth team. Chose to go and play with a team full of my mates a that point, and then we all went out together on a Saturday night before playing on a Sunday morning. All downhill from there :wink:

spike220
09-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Complete honesty required! Any good stories to tell about your football (in) competence?

I played at primary School in the bee swarm formation mostly.

When I went to high school I was played in CD. I was totally right footed, but committed.

As a teenager/ adult I played a lot indoor 5/6 a side, then played GK. I was told by several people I was a decent GK and probably could have played a decent level if I had started there earlier.

Moral of the story, if your a crap outfield player, try playing in goal.

spike220
09-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Went to school in England. Had a trial for Cheshire schoolboys, and played for Nantwich towns (8th tier of English football) youth team. Chose to go and play with a team full of my mates a that point, and then we all went out together on a Saturday night before playing on a Sunday morning. All downhill from there :wink:

Is that you Ryan?

CallumLaidlaw
09-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Is that you Ryan?

If thats a joke, its gone completely over my head. :confused::aok:

Godsahibby
09-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Edinburgh amateur for me. Only stand out was playing in a game which made the papers and still occasionally pops up in articles talking about unluckiest teams.

Playing on the pitches beside Murryfield Ice rink. The team we were playing, Edinburgh Asians had never ever won a game in their entire existence. They scored a penalty into me early doors and after that we couldnt get the ball in the net. Into the second half snd a police man walks over, speaks to the ref and he abandons the match. Turns out some old dear digging her garden round the corner had found an u exploded WW2 bomb and the needed the pitch to safely detonate it!!

Pumped them 3-0 in the re-play!!

Albanian Hibs
09-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Girls league. Played for Tynecastle girls and Arniston Rangers girls. Attended trials for Scotland but wasn't sucessful. Most famous "stadium" I have played it was Boghead! for a cup final v Ayr United and we were beaten 4-2.

ozwoody
09-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Played the old 2-3-5 formation at primary,then played for tamsons in maybury league where we had john mcgachie (remember him?) As a guest when he was a hibs player.he scored for fun for us,head and shoulders above anyone else,was scouted by rangers until they asked what school i was in (st ninians) they never came to watch after that! Now playing and coaching in sydney

Jack
09-02-2015, 07:53 AM

I've had the same experience as you at Saughton. After the match we all went for a shower and on the way back to changing room with our non prison issue towels covering ourselves up a passing prison officer shouted 'What's this a ******* fashion show!"

Played as a ringer for some college in Falkirk to find myself up against Ernie Winchester (Hearts) at centre half. Only scored two in that match :-)

Also played in a summer league where team mates sometimes included Hibbies like John Murphy, Willie Murray and Bobby Smith and was regularly putting them past Hearts goalkeeper Murray McDermott who disliked me with a passion.

I played most of the time time with the Civil Service Strollers.

Mark79
09-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Towerbank primary for about 2 seasons. Then fives/elevens with the work.

Probably worst football player the world has seen.

AndyM_1875
09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Played boys club from the age of 9 and carried on playing through University.
Chucked it to concentrate on playing National League hockey which I played for many years until work, family and injury cut that back.

Now playing a regular 8 a side game with a bunch of Dunfermline supporters on a Tuesday night and its nice still to be involved.

wills
09-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Highest level kicking a ball up Arthur Seat until the foot paths got to narrow

spike220
09-02-2015, 08:12 AM
If thats a joke, its gone completely over my head. :confused::aok:

Ryan McGivern!!!

Out all night Drinking???

MSK
09-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Highest level kicking a ball up Arthur Seat until the foot paths go to narrowWe used to do the steps up Arthurs Seat as part of training ...we were never the best team in the leagues but we were one of the fittest ..had to be to play on some of the worst council pitches imaginable ...

Did "Murder Hill" down E Lothian whilst with Captains Bar ...Im still suffering now !!! :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
09-02-2015, 08:14 AM
German Landesliga. 2 years for the Erste FC Wilmersdorf. Sounds a lot better than it is, probably a level or two above pub football.

GreenOnions
09-02-2015, 08:16 AM
South of Scotland schoolboys in 1983 then Edinb Uni in Uni League and EoS. Got selected for Scottish Uni squad in 88 but didn't get a game unfortunately

StevieT
09-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Played East of Scotland with Whitehall Welfare.

Have been fortunate enough to referee at Hampden in a Charity match, Tynecastle, Excelsior Stadium (U17 SC Final) and can be found regularly refereeing ladies games at Station Park, Forfar.

greenginger
09-02-2015, 08:58 AM
First proper organised football was for Redpath Albion in the under 21 league. I was only 16 but a pal of mine was an apprentice there so went along and got into the team.

We used to train in Lochend Park, getting changed in the huge engineering sheds and cross two railway lines to get into the park.When it got too dark we trained in old D K's school gym .

Played in Sunday morning kick-abouts with Alex Cropley when we were about 14 but that don't count. :greengrin

eastmainsmsh
09-02-2015, 09:02 AM
east of Scotland played at Annan against Davie irons who was brilliant and Meadowbank played against big john Clark gala who could still play

CallumLaidlaw
09-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Ryan McGivern!!!

Out all night Drinking???

Ahhh. got you :aok:

PeeJay
09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
My highest level? ... primary school - Inspector's Cup medallist in Edinburgh, football "career" ended cruelly at secondary school in the Borders - where the football they played was actually not football, but something known locally as rugby union ... despite this setback, getting to that final has stood me in good stead for criticising everything and anything to do with football, if that is where this is heading ... :greengrin

Brunswickbill
09-02-2015, 09:12 AM
I had a kick about with my mates on the top of Ben Nevis - (a bit smoother than that Hampden surface) Does this count?:greengrin

WillowbraeHibby
09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Played for both primary and secondary schools (Craigroyston), Muirhouse BC, and Newhaven Star. Joined army, played for my company in the battalion, and badly damaged my knee after a big Irish guardsman went straight through me when playing against them. Party over after that!!!! :boo hoo:

07BigD
09-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Played amateur football from 17, Trinity Rose, Edinburgh Northside and ahem Craigmillar H****s, they were off their nuts Niddrie all the way, I switched to Saturday and played for Standard Life until the day I jacked 11's in, played at centre half apart from one glorious season in the sun when I was converted to centre forward, scored 12 goals then had to revert to defence because all our players were crocked, dishonorable mention in the Pink football reports section for being part of a 22 man brawl against The Waverley (southside burdiehouse guys) which happened to be witnessed by the guy covering an under 13's game on the next pitch at seafield

Bristolhibby
09-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Secondary School 2nd XI team captain.

I was basically a Hod carrier to my artistic mates. Loved playing, was OK, but nowhere near good enough.

The 2nds were full of the rugby team (my more natural sport) and up and coming 5th formers.

Had a great time.

Confined to 5s when we can get enough people and the weather is nice.

J

Pat 0-7
09-02-2015, 10:24 AM
A few games for the secondary school team, only when there were injuries!! Regular 5's until the knees started to go....

In the 80's I worked for the Life Association of Scotland insurance company in George St. who were owned by a Dutch parent company. Every two years the parent company had a sports day in Holland with teams from their all their companies (mostly Holland and Belguim I think, and one from England) playing tournaments of football, badminton, etc.

I played for the football team a few times. Bus to Hull on the Friday then ferry overnight, big session on the boat, first game at 10am on the Saturday morning, half our players puking at the side of the pitch before kick off….the Dutch lads were all fit and liked to stroke the ball about, some of them didn’t take too kindly to our more 'physical' long-ball approach…...got to the final once...….and one year we only took 12 players, one got injured in the first game, and then when I got injured I was replaced by the wee fat bus driver!!! Never lived it down……afterwards it was a Saturday night session in Amsterdam taking in the 'sights'…..happy days !!!

Anyway, I like to say that I represented Scotland at football !!! :greengrin

Hermit Crab
09-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Primary school high school Hutchy vale, glen park broomhall Saints and tall oaks. Latterly Sunday amatuer. Snapped my cruciated in my teens and after that it was game over. Played at the old Bloomfield rd in a tourney in blackpool circa 1997.

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2015, 11:02 AM
My highest level? ... primary school - Inspector's Cup medallist in Edinburgh, football "career" ended cruelly at secondary school in the Borders - where the football they played was actually not football, but something known locally as rugby union ... despite this setback, getting to that final has stood me in good stead for criticising everything and anything to do with football, if that is where this is heading ... :greengrin

If that secondary was Peebles you will remember what was laughingly referred to as a fitba pitch :greengrin

woody0-7
09-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I played with Edinburgh schools glen park hutchie and salvie at juvenile also played for lochend 21s then went on to play east senior and junior for a while and gave it up at 24 to watch hibs . I was at hibs from 13 till I was 16 had trial with Celtic Rangers and spent a month at Tottenham I've played at Easter road at ibrox and Hamden and actually won the gothic cup at the uleivi stadium where Aberdeen beat Madrid in Sweden

Spike Mandela
09-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Salvesen boys club. Same team as Kano and Callum Milne. Several medals including 2 Scottish Juvenile Cup winners up in the loft somewhere.

GreenArmy1875
09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Played For Hutchison vale for 11 years, hearts, Dunfermline and Spartans up until I was 19/20 and legs and body gave up on me but now do coaching.
Played at Easter Road, East end park, excelsior and the PBS
Played with Scougal, McNulty, Robinson (hearts) and a few Dunfermline & Berwick Rangers lads

mutley
09-02-2015, 11:36 AM
I kick around a ball in the park with the dog, and I'm pretty crap at actually playing football ..... But I still got offered a contract with The Rangers !

Lucius Apuleius
09-02-2015, 11:45 AM
I kick around a ball in the park with the dog, and I'm pretty crap at actually playing football ..... But I still got offered a contract with The Rangers !

Played at Annfield at half time every game for years. :agree:

Newry Hibs
09-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Is that after you've finished your decorating, Ian?

therealgavmac
09-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Played for the BBs (8th Leith Pilrig Church) and the school (Drummond) however as I was a wee bit big for my age teachers convinced me to egg chase..... drafted back into the school team due to shortage of players for a game..... as a defender, ball was hoofed up the park towards us and I expertly caught it without dropping it..... gave away a penalty and we lost 2-1 (against Broughton iirc) and surprisingly I never played again!!!

However, as a rugby player, played for 25 years, for T Accies, London Scottish, Anglo Scots and Harrogate (then English second division) so was more successful there..... even played at the Parc de Prince when it was Frances international ground.

Sudds_1
09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Played for the BBs (8th Leith Pilrig Church) and the school (Drummond) however as I was a wee bit big for my age teachers convinced me to egg chase..... drafted back into the school team due to shortage of players for a game..... as a defender, ball was hoofed up the park towards us and I expertly caught it without dropping it..... gave away a penalty and we lost 2-1 (against Broughton iirc) and surprisingly I never played again!!!

However, as a rugby player, played for 25 years, for T Accies, London Scottish, Anglo Scots and Harrogate (then English second division) so was more successful there..... even played at the Parc de Prince when it was Frances international ground.

Ditto........egg chasing at school then afternoons playing first with Edinburgh Thistle then Salveson. Had to make the choice though and chose the egg - mostly because I wasn't good enough. During my time with thistle played alongside Lawrie Reilly junior............now that was a player!

Moderately successful egg chaser, played 1st Division with Musselburgh, regular East Lothian place.....and played in various matches against Presidents XV's and a notable bounce game against the All Blacks under the lights at Stoneyhill............

....and scored a try at Murrayfield! :-)

rotherhamrob
09-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Usual boys stuff at school though was lucky enough to play at ewood.
dreading it now though as I'm working at sports direct and I've heard I might be getting drafted straight into the huns yeam for friday, christ I'd hate to score against us

Andy74
09-02-2015, 04:14 PM
I thought Blackpoolhibs would have been all over this one. :greengrin

JimBHibees
09-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I thought Blackpoolhibs would have been all over this one. :greengrin

Was it Man United and Tottenham he used to play for? :greengrin

wills
09-02-2015, 04:34 PM
We used to do the steps up Arthurs Seat as part of training ...we were never the best team in the leagues but we were one of the fittest ..had to be to play on some of the worst council pitches imaginable ...

Did "Murder Hill" down E Lothian whilst with Captains Bar ...Im still suffering now !!! :greengrin

Those steps were a killer, also the run through hunters bog. Remember one pitch beside holyrood palace that had a man hole cover.

micka_weer
09-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Played East Ayrshire Sunday Amatuer League (posh name for pub league!)
Remember playing in New Cumnock one Sunday when their winger was flying up the wing when someone shouted a bit of abuse, the winger continues to run full pelt into the fan landing on him a knocking 7 bells out him as we all stood gawping! Needless to say he was red carded and it took 5 of their lads to drag him off. Playing another game at around half an hour gone, 2 police walked into the middle of the pitch and arrested one of our players. We had arrived with only 11 players that day and had to play the rest of the game 1 man down. Have to say I'm not entirely sure I actually enjoyed playing to be completely honest but lived training and hanging about with the other lads, was always a great laugh! :-)

ancient hibee
09-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Played for the Rest of the World against Liverpool in 1965 on C'an Pastilla beach,Majorca.Put Ron Yeats on his backside and spent the rest of the holiday in hiding.

weecounty hibby
09-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Salvesen boys club. Same team as Kano and Callum Milne. Several medals including 2 Scottish Juvenile Cup winners up in the loft somewhere.

As soon as I saw this thread I knew this story would be in here somewhere!!! 😴 lost count of the number of times I have heard about how you single handedly won those finals😂

And Im sure that my efforts for the mighty Alloa Athletic (reserves!!) Have suitably bored you a few times in the past!!!

As a bit of an aside I have played football for the county at school level, Alloa reserves, rugby for Alloa 1st XV as high as national league 2 and also 1st XI cricket for Clackmannan County. All in all I have excelled in mediocrity at all of my chosen sports

Spike Mandela
09-02-2015, 06:23 PM
As soon as I saw this thread I knew this story would be in here somewhere!!!  lost count of the number of times I have heard about how you single handedly won those finals

And Im sure that my efforts for the mighty Alloa Athletic (reserves!!) Have suitably bored you a few times in the past!!!

As a bit of an aside I have played football for the county at school level, Alloa reserves, rugby for Alloa 1st XV as high as national league 2 and also 1st XI cricket for Clackmannan County. All in all I have excelled in mediocrity at all of my chosen sports

***** at golf as well!!!:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
09-02-2015, 06:35 PM
I once had a kick about in the Hampden car park. Can't get much higher than a national stadium IMO.

pontius pilate
09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Primary school ( inchview) dad was the janny starrted up front. Then found goalie as a more confortable position and do e reasonably well there
Enlisted into the army played at company and sub at Bn level we had two outstanding keepers. Played in colchester amatuer leagues nothing major meet in the pub on a su morn then head to the game then back to the pub.

Cropley10
09-02-2015, 07:00 PM

I've been told that all Scottish Cup medals are the same, from Juvenile to the oldest cup in football. Not sure if this is true but.

Iggy Pope
09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Sunday Amatuers. Edinburgh and East Lothian but 20 seasons with the same club, right ****? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-02-2015, 07:03 PM
I've been told that all Scottish Cup medals are the same, from Juvenile to the oldest cup in football. Not sure if this is true but.

I'd heard the same.

Sadly I've only seen a losers medal. Edinburgh schools 2004 beaten 2-0 by Fife in the final.

nonshinyfinish
09-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Highest level was Jewel & Esk Valley College boys' club as a right-back of dazzling mediocrity. Now play fives twice a week with folk from work and the uni chemistry department I used to work in. I play a sort of hybrid Beckenbauer–Bergkamp role.

During Euro 2012 I played in an impromptu 'international' (Ukraine/Russia/Scotland vs England) on a makeshift fives pitch in the fanzone in Kiev. Apparently we missed out on playing with Robert Pires by about 45 minutes.

Spike Mandela
09-02-2015, 07:10 PM

They look authentic right enough albeit a wee bit tarnished these days.

Delboy*
09-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Westburn Park v Grove up the wee pitch. Up there with the World Cup final.

weonlywon6-2
09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Kicked a ball along the top floor of the banana flats in Leith,that's the highest I got😊

Callum_62
09-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Tynecastle boys to u 9's, then onto Celtic Boys Club through to 15's or 16's

Won the Scottish Cup, BP tournament etc

Lucky enough to play with some great players over the years, particulary at Celtic

Darren Fletcher, Chris King, Stephen Payne a few of the better known faces

Had a choice between Hibs and Hearts in the newly set up initiative league

Went to hibs (McLeish in charge, during 1st division season)

Trained alongside 1st team a few times

Turned into an absolute shambles - left part way through season, scunnered me a bit, ended up playing local once season was over (I dont think I was allowed to sign for anyone else until season end if memory serves me right)

Had a few cool experiences playing with 'select sides' at Celtic - playing before a reserve team game infront if a reasonable crowd

Playing in a tourney where we had a 1st team player as manager for the day (We had Willie Falconer)....we won that too, got comp tickets to Celtic game (when they played there home games a Hampden)

Hibby Bairn
09-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Juvenile with Hutchie Vale but not good enough so Saturday amateurs as an adult.

Played at Tynecastle and The Dell.

Also thousand a side kickabout for Scotland at Cardiff Castle the day Jock Stein died.

Aldo
09-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Played amateur on both Sat/Suns.

Once had a trial with Havant and Waterlooville when I was based down south. Got on ok but a month later was drafted to Faslane!!

Claim to fame..... Played in the 3-4 Charity winning team/game a few years back at the PBS and a yam player burst my mouth by kicking it just after I dived in a split second ahead of him and headed it back to keeper.

Final whistle blew shortly after that. :-)

StevieC
09-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Only ever played amatuer level (although had a junior team make tentative enquiries once).

Best moment (I can mention :wink: ) was in a supporters game against against Hearts, with a player was on the ground making the most of an injury as they desperately hung on for a draw. I ran over and in one swift move scooped him up and launched him off the pitch. The ref told them "he's off the pitch" and let us carry on playing.

I've played in charity games at Easter Road and at St James Park.

Lago
09-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Played goal keeper for department fives team, we actually won inter departmental fives competition played at Glenrothes Institue. Still have my trophy even though the wife keeps trying to through it out.

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Played in the Olympiacos stadium when the AEK game was cancelled. Strolled into stadium and had a kick about. No one in sight. Went following week back to AEK walked in with a Panathanaikos green & white top on & they were giving me the slit your throat treatment. Has to be the costliest match I have ever been to

Tinribs
10-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Dumbryden Primary.
I once played at Meggatland :greengrin

That was my school too....shame that the barstewards shut it. How old are you mate? i am 44.

Ringothedog
10-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Civil service strollers(Colts) and recreation park alloa.

Delboy*
10-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Civil service strollers(Colts) and recreation park alloa.

If your the big Eddie from CSS then I remember many an enjoyable battle in the middle of the park with you v meadow star ???

eastcoasthibby
10-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Played boys club football at Dunbar, then moved onto a cracking Elphinstone Primrose team at u 16's & 18's ...that won the Edinburgh league and then beat our Glasgow counterparts in the play-off between the 2 league champs.
Played junior with Dunbar Utd, Forfar West End, Kirrie Thistle, Dundee Downfield enjoyed good times with league and cup wins, played with some good players at times up in Tayside where a lot of money was about attracting senior players to the juniors ..... played at all the Angus Senior pitches, with Station Park, Forfar being a favourite big wide pitch and lovely surface at the time. Played at Dens, East Fife as well.
A season at Dunbar amateurs and also bit of East of Scotland for a season....but junior football was where i enjoyed.

Twilight of playing career Sunday pub football for 7 years in Angus leagues, amazingly moved to play up front and loved it, scoring goals and playing and helping bring young boys through to go on and play junior and 2 or 3 senior in Angus, also some decent players who like me loved playing and still had a desire to win.
Done a bit of co-managing and coaching at Junior and amateur, but past 3 seasons since moving back to Edinburgh football watching at Hibs has taken over.

Missed out on trials with Rangers and Dundee Utd, as i stupidly played for my juvenile team on the Saturday before i had a trial with Dundee Utd on the Sunday and Rangers on the Tuesday tore my knee ligaments and out for 6 months !!!
War story over ....bliss to look back and it's why I am still so passionate about the game.

lord bunberry
10-02-2015, 09:05 AM
I once curled a beauty into the top corner to open the scoring for Crawfords in a grudge match against Greggs. We won 2-1 but Greggs had the last laugh when Crawfords went bankrupt. But oor pies were better :greengrin

heretoday
10-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Local team in Granton.

Dad played for Elgin City. Used to be just a Highland League club but bigger now.

marinello59
10-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Local team in Granton.

Dad played for Elgin City. Used to be just a Highland League club but bigger now.

When did he play for City?

heretoday
10-02-2015, 10:26 AM
When did play for City?

Late twenties during his student days. Also Cambridge Blue at Stamford Bridge v Oxford - this was while Wembley was under reconstruction.

greenginger
10-02-2015, 10:29 AM
A supplementary question is to state the most famous ground / park that you played a competitive match at.

As an alternative what were the worst pitches you played on ?

I used to hate Drumbrae and the Gyle, always seemed to be a gale force wind there, and Harewood at Craigmillar ,the threatening abuse from spectators, especially the women ! :greengrin

lord bunberry
10-02-2015, 10:40 AM

I used to hate Drumbrae and the Gyle, always seemed to be a gale force wind there, and Harewood at Craigmillar ,the threatening abuse from spectators, especially the women ! :greengrin

I remember playing for the school at inverleith, the pitch was on a huge slope and the wind was blowing right down it. We lost 8-6 after being 6-0 up at half time.

J-C
10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Played for Edina Hibs as a lad and sunday amatuer when a bit older, I was a better rugby player though and played at Edinburgh District level, also played for the Scotland national team at American Football.

heretoday
10-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Played for Edina Hibs as a lad and sunday amatuer when a bit older, I was a better rugby player though and played at Edinburgh District level, also played for the Scotland national team at American Football.

Wow!

Ever tried Baseball? I love the old game. Go Indians!

SlickShoes
10-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Ironmills in Dalkeith, had two pitches, one was flat the other had one half of the pitch on a 45 degree angle. We would routinely draw the first half of games shooting up hill and then shooting down win the second half 11-0.

Allant1981
10-02-2015, 10:55 AM

When did you play for scotland if you dont mind me asking? I know a couple of guys who also played for scotland, i played for scotland at flag football years ago

J-C
10-02-2015, 11:08 AM
When did you play for scotland if you dont mind me asking? I know a couple of guys who also played for scotland, i played for scotland at flag football years ago

I played for the Strathclyde Sheriffs after the Lothian Raiders team folded, that would be around 21 years ago ( 94 ), I played for the Scotland team in the Home international series from 95-99 when I retired from competitive sport at 41 yr old.
I took up natural bodybuilding after that and competed 7 times coming 2nd twice in the masters and 5th x 2 in the British finals.

J-C
10-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Wow!

Ever tried Baseball? I love the old game. Go Indians!

I played baseball once 41 years ago when visited my family in Canada, went along with my cousin for a few games during the summer, was good fun.

Dashing Bob S
10-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Champions League three finals and group stages for around eight years. No, Lothian Sunday Amateurs Div 2 though you would think it was the former due to my Wenger-Mourinho type knowledge of the game.

MSK
10-02-2015, 11:21 AM

I used to hate Drumbrae and the Gyle, always seemed to be a gale force wind there, and Harewood at Craigmillar ,the threatening abuse from spectators, especially the women ! :greengrinInverleith ...****ing showers never worked ...Jack Kane ..pot holes bigger than golf bunkers ...Peffermill (not the Uni) ...we had to do a sweep before each game to pick up shards of metal/glass etc ...& Porty Golf course pitches..just horrible ...

Liked Fisherrow ...:greengrin

Hibby Bairn
10-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Where do you start? :greengrin

Gypsy Brae (baltic and always windy)
Old Fox Covert PS 11-a-side pitch (better for sledging)
Inverleith (rolling hillside really)
Double Hedges (see Gypsy Brae)
Jack Kane (too many reason to list here amongst them motorcyclists on your pitch during your game)
The Gyle (in Africa it would be called Serengeti Plains)

Loved playing school football at Warriston (circa late 70s) especially cup final nights. Magic. :aok:

Allant1981
10-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I played for the Strathclyde Sheriffs after the Lothian Raiders team folded, that would be around 21 years ago ( 94 ), I played for the Scotland team in the Home international series from 95-99 when I retired from competitive sport at 41 yr old.
I took up natural bodybuilding after that and competed 7 times coming 2nd twice in the masters and 5th x 2 in the British finals.

Bit before my time then!! I like to keep fit but you must have had some dedication to stay in shape at that age

lyonhibs
10-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Boys Brigade football for the 41st Duddingston quite some time ago. Highlights include getting sent off for swearing (2 x yellow cards for the exact same thing, both times swearing at myself for making a mistake)

Worse still, in my absence, the team came from behind to win 4-3.

Now play 11's either in nets or full back at a relatively ok level here in Switzerland.

snooky
10-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Played at Easter Road in the early fifties .......... but my dad told me to put away my toy soldiers and watch the game.

Phil MaGlass
10-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Subutteo.

Stevie Reid
10-02-2015, 02:20 PM
I played for Tynecastle Boys Club - never celebrated my goals though. Well, especially not the first one seeing as I scored an own goal with my first touch on my debut, inside the first minute...

It was up at Captain's Cabin and they had an attack immediately, and one of our defenders volleyed a clearance off my knee and into the back of the (non-existent) net - to be fair, it was trundling towards goal but our keeper somehow managed to fumble it in, so he took all the abuse and the heat off me, really. Still wasn't an ideal start though!

brog
10-02-2015, 02:34 PM
What a lovely thread! Can't believe though that no one has posted as yet that they played against Liam Craig & he was ******! :wink:
My career peaked at the age of 9 when I was picked in goal for Leith schools in a trial. It's a long story but I had only played in goal once as an emergency replacement for the (much) older Alan Lugton. The selectors thought I was Luggy & history was made! :wink: I did have the pleasure however in an extremely mediocre career of playing on parks far & wide, from Victoria Park, Dingwall & Banks O'Dee in Aiberdeen to Kingstonians, now AFC Wimbledon's ground in Sarf London!
The worst experience was at D Mains park when we were up to our oxters in mud & the groundsman gave both teams a bucket of cold water to use for washing! Insult was added to injury when we retired to The Old Inn to find that Sevco had beaten us 6-1 & the recently transferred Colin Stein had scored 3!

euro Hibby
10-02-2015, 03:03 PM
I played University Saturday morning in Edinburgh. Standard was very up and down probably due to Friday night out. There were some good players who almost made it ! My only claim to fame was in the cup semifinal in which we had Derek Rodier playing against us. ( ex Hibs ) Before the game I lent Derek my boots as I had decided to play in trainers as the ground was bone hard. In the last 3 minutes we got a breakaway and I had been sent forward so's not to do any damage defending. I latched onto a long ball and managed to trundle a shot home from 16 yards. We won 2-1 and then got hammered in the final 3-0 when I had my boots back on.

J-C
10-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Bit before my time then!! I like to keep fit but you must have had some dedication to stay in shape at that age

Played rugby for 22 years, USA football 7 yrs and natural bodybuilding 7 yrs, had both hips done now and haven't trained in just over 2 years, now 3 stones overweight and need to get back into the gym asap, more for health sake rather than just pure fitness. I trained 4-6 days a week for all those years and when you stop it's hard just to get back to it, but I will do very soon.

14284 14285

Pete
10-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Sorry lads I'm about to trump you all..

I was in a sports shop today and was told that if you buy a full Rangers kit and get your name on the back you will automatically get on the bench if you turn up at Ibrox on a match day.

See you all on Friday.

MKHIBEE
10-02-2015, 04:32 PM
If that secondary was Peebles you will remember what was laughingly referred to as a fitba pitch :greengrin
I remember a pitch there from around 1970, it was a joke

Pretty Boy
10-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Inch Park was a joke. Huge slope both up and down and across the pitch.

Also playing North Merchiston at Harrison Park was always fun. They were usually rank so it was a guaranteed 3 points. What was also guranteed though was thanks to the path across the pitch at least 2 mums with buggies would refuse to go the long way round and just march straight across the park mid game.

We played our school games either at Wardie (decent) or Arboretum which must have been at the very bottom end of pitch sizes within the rules. It was ridiculously narrow.

Remember playing an early season game in blazing sunshine for the then Spartans 2nd XI away to Drumchapel. The guys in the team were nice lads but the pitch was smack bang in the middle of the scheme and it seemed 90% of them were out watching with 'taps aff' and healthy carry outs. The Drum were renowned as a very good amateur team, we went 2-0 up eaely doors and a sea of half empty Tennents cans started bouncing off my back. I was about 17 or 18 at the time. They got 1 back late on before being awarded a penalty in injury time. I saved it and was again treated to cans being thrown and a real mouthful of abuse. Post game at least 20 of them wanted to shake my hand and thank me for taking their 'patter'.

Happy days.

Allant1981
10-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Played rugby for 22 years, USA football 7 yrs and natural bodybuilding 7 yrs, had both hips done now and haven't trained in just over 2 years, now 3 stones overweight and need to get back into the gym asap, more for health sake rather than just pure fitness. I trained 4-6 days a week for all those years and when you stop it's hard just to get back to it, but I will do very soon.

14284 14285

A good friend of mine played for years, billy drummond is his name.

hibeg
10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Ditto........egg chasing at school then afternoons playing first with Edinburgh Thistle then Salveson. Had to make the choice though and chose the egg - mostly because I wasn't good enough. During my time with thistle played alongside Lawrie Reilly junior............now that was a player!

Moderately successful egg chaser, played 1st Division with Musselburgh, regular East Lothian place.....and played in various matches against Presidents XV's and a notable bounce game against the All Blacks under the lights at Stoneyhill............

....and scored a try at Murrayfield! :-)

Burgh top of the league, thrashed leaders on Saturday. Real chance of promotion to division 1 with 4 games to go. I'm a bit clueless on some of the rules but go to support my son and actually enjoy watching the games.

sleeping giant
10-02-2015, 04:56 PM
That was my school too....shame that the barstewards shut it. How old are you mate? i am 44.

43 :-)
Mrs Shearer , Mrs Brannan , Mrs Bremner, mrs Mitchell and the lovely Mrs Lawson.

Back on topic , I also had a trial for Glenpark after their manager saw me and my mate "Batch" playing headers outside.

I played in a trial and hardly touched the ball and wasn't asked back :-(
Played for the BB's too based in the Holy Trinity Church in Wester Hailes.
I think we only won one game.

sleeping giant
10-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Worst park I ever played on was the car park :greengrin:
Massive car park with a big wall at the end with goals spray painted onto it.
It seemed that everyone from Murrayburn would come out and we would have a massive game of knockout.
We done this every night whatever the weather .

bigwheel
10-02-2015, 05:01 PM

we played the same year...I was with Hutchie, the St Bernards...remember that Salvie team well...as well as those mentioned - Neil Irvine, Kenny Taylor, Evan Balfour etc good side.... I gave up for a while, then played Amateur then East of Scotland for a number of years when i came back

Good memories...

Iggy Pope
10-02-2015, 06:31 PM
we played the same year...I was with Hutchie, the St Bernards...remember that Salvie team well...as well as those mentioned - Neil Irvine, Kenny Taylor, Evan Balfour etc good side.... I gave up for a while, then played Amateur then East of Scotland for a number of years when i came back

Good memories...

Kicked about with Evan when we were laddies, his Gran stayed in Iona St. Had a good spell with Airdrie.
****, I fancied his big sister though.

J-C
10-02-2015, 08:05 PM
A good friend of mine played for years, billy drummond is his name.

Is that American Football, if so I can't place the name but in saying that I am shocking with names and I probably know him quite well :greengrin

theonlywayisup
10-02-2015, 08:12 PM
What a lovely thread!

Yes - five pages and not one petty argument!

That said, some of the well known football 'experts' are conspicuous by their absence!!!

bigwheel
10-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Kicked about with Evan when we were laddies, his Gran stayed in Iona St. Had a good spell with Airdrie.

nice family....oh aye...the old..'is Evan coming out to play?" trick ..... :greengrin

Jamesconnolly
10-02-2015, 08:23 PM
I played border amateur but my main claim to fame was when my local under 14s team leadervale were playing St Margaret's from Galashiels I got sent off in the last minute for hacking down a certain john Collins .it was 4-4 and no one had even got a draw out of them before that.they had some good players but john was miles better than anyone else.

jacomo
10-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Didn't play after leaving school, other than the odd kick about of course. To be honest, I was rubbish!

HappyAsHellas
10-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Played Sunday amateur for donkeys years and it wasn't till I was 36 that I managed to get a player of the year award. I would still like to thank our best player for being out injured that year.

Allant1981
10-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Is that American Football, if so I can't place the name but in saying that I am shocking with names and I probably know him quite well :greengrin

Yeah american football

silverhibee
10-02-2015, 09:17 PM
I'd heard the same.

Sadly I've only seen a losers medal. Edinburgh schools 2004 beaten 2-0 by Fife in the final.

Don't no the answer either but i have a SC winners medal. :wink:

Played school football, Muirhouse primary and Craigroyston High school and Hutchie Vale, Mr Abishano (don't no if that is the right spelling of name) was manager at Hutchie, Mark Currie, got a contract at Hibs and Scott Nisbet was a good friend and our wee school primary derby was against Silverknowes primary and he played for the enemy :greengrin, i just never stuck in and my left peg went to waste. :greengrin

J-C
10-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Yeah american football

Depends when and who he played for, when I came into the game the Scottish league was all but gone, Dundee Whalers, Granite City Oilers, Musselburgh Magnums, Fife 49's all gone and the 3 teams left playing in a British league. I played half a season with Lothian Raiders who were the remnants of the old Edinburgh Eagles team but they had no money and very few players, when they went 5 of us went through to play for the Sheriff's who then linked up with Glasgow Tigers Uni team.

The European NFL league Started then too with the games being at Murrayfield with the Claymores, a few of us worked on the game day crew during their season, I was the head coaches headset guy, you'd see me standing 2 yards behind him with a big handful of cable which fed his headset, was amazing to be in amongst it when the matches were on, I was on SkY sports many times :greengrin

Iggy Pope
10-02-2015, 09:31 PM
nice family....oh aye...the old..'is Evan coming out to play?" trick ..... :greengrin

His Granny was not a woman to ne messed with though.Ruled the stair!

Speedy
10-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Never played any decent level. Primary school, odd high school game, still play 5s.

Most famous pitch; Newbattle Complex - home of the famous Easthouses Lily.

GreenOnions
10-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Played at Easter Road in the early fifties .......... but my dad told me to put away my toy soldiers and watch the game.

I'm glad it was only your toy soldiers

Weststandwanab
11-02-2015, 08:49 AM
I played in Johannesburg at 7,104 feet above sea level does that count ?

DH1875
11-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I had trials with Blackpool as a teenager.

Sylar
11-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Played with my local boys club through high-school and a few of our players went on and are currently playing professionally but I wasn't one of them!

I was the fastest person in our county at the time and I could leave most defenders standing but my footballing ability was somewhat lacking :greengrin

I played for a few seasons with a couple of the IFA (Internet Football Association) teams (most notably with Olympique Lion for around 5 or 6 years). They did have a Hibs team (either Erin Hibs or Hibs.net) but I never played with them, only ever against them!.

Again, far from competent though :greengrin

matty_f
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Played for Porty Thistle and Edina Hibs briefly. Tended to be sub!

BSEJVT
11-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Worst pitch would be up at Niddrie down from Craigmillar Castle

I played for Towerbank there and two different games stick out.

I was the right back and in one game was standing at the post defending a corner when one of the bystanders showed me a knife and told me if they lost I would be seeing it at closer quarters!

Another game played in the snow with the old leather balls.

It was so heavy the keeper couldn't kick it out the box.

The ref's solution was to let me dribble it to the edge of the box, whereupon the Niddrie team stood in wait, it was like the football scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Happy happy days how I wish my knees weren't knackered and I could still play 5's. Thinking of trying the walking football, anyone else do it?

Used to play Sunday Miners for Poltonhall Miners on a Sunday morning and that was a tasty league.

In those days I was a winger and in our local derby against the now demolished Staiside I beat the full back but failed to get past the spectator who challenged next.

5 minutes later beat the full back again but was a bit startled by the bottle whizzing past my ear and converted to centre forward for the rest of the game until I nutted the centre half (accidently) going up for a header and we both got carted off to hospital.

Great days, I really miss playing football :boo hoo:

Andy74
11-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Broughton Boys, Edinburgh Thistle, Ainslie Park then the Law Society at Uni which was a great laugh. Games versus the Vets was the big rivarly for some reason and there used to be mayhem. We played up at Aberdeen Uni after winning the Ednburgh Uni league and were downing vodka all the way up. I scored the winner in the final but I don't remember a thing about it other than throwing up on the pitch several times.

Did anyone play in the Sunday morning league based mainly at Seafield, Jack Kane, Duddingston? Played for Stockbridge Hibs for a few years and it was good fun. Not too many headcases! Other teams were Duddingston Shamrock, Cask & Barrel and so on.

Best football days were still the Warriston League for Holy Cross. Good times.

MSK
11-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Broughton Boys, Edinburgh Thistle, Ainslie Park then the Law Society at Uni which was a great laugh. Games versus the Vets was the big rivarly for some reason and there used to be mayhem. We played up at Aberdeen Uni after winning the Ednburgh Uni league and were downing vodka all the way up. I scored the winner in the final but I don't remember a thing about it other than throwing up on the pitch several times.

Did anyone play in the Sunday morning league based mainly at Seafield, Jack Kane, Duddingston? Played for Stockbridge Hibs for a few years and it was good fun. Not too many headcases! Other teams were Duddingston Shamrock, Cask & Barrel and so on.

Best football days were still the Warriston League for Holy Cross. Good times.Played against them a couple of times in friendlies ..cant remember many teams from the Maybury league days other than The Busy Bee ..Liberton ...& our favourite game v Muirvale ..particularly down at Craigroyston school ..:take that

Brightside
11-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Yes - five pages and not one petty argument!

That said, some of the well known football 'experts' are conspicuous by their absence!!!

You think you have to have played at a decent level to be an expert in how the game should be played?

I played at school level - totally bang average. Cat C Level coach.

ChilliEater
11-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Ipswich and Felixstowe Sunday League Division 10. Star striker for Stowmarket Pickerel Reserves around 2001-2002 :greengrin

edinburghhibee
11-02-2015, 11:10 AM
I started my footballing adventure around the age of 10 at fernieside BC under billy Armstrong along with some cracking players who done alright Jamie Burrell and Ryan McCallum. Then went onto Edina Hibs who at the time were absolutely terrible. I quit football for a season after being hammered 16-0 by hearts took the hump threw my shirt at the manager and walked off. I then signed for redpath Albion and had a great 4-5 seasons winning the league three or four years in a row as well as cups. I then got picked with two other guys to play for Falkirk fc. I then returned to Albion and knocked back a contract from Spartans to play with my mates. After then moving to porty thistle I was taken to Cowdenbeath by Davie Liddell and played at firrhill against Patrick thistle I played the full 90 minutes at right back and for the entire first half had Jimmy bone calling me a dirty ******* for a tackle I put in on their winger early doors 😂😂😂 ended up leaving and signing with the gyle where we won promotion first year and walked the league last year but due to shifts I've had to leave and I've now joined west end United in the sunday league.

MSK
11-02-2015, 11:14 AM
I started my footballing adventure around the age of 10 at fernieside BC under billy Armstrong along with some cracking players who done alright Jamie Burrell and Ryan McCallum. Then went onto Edina Hibs who at the time were absolutely terrible. I quit football for a season after being hammered 16-0 by hearts took the hump threw my shirt at the manager and walked off. I then signed for redpath Albion and had a great 4-5 seasons winning the league three or four years in a row as well as cups. I then got picked with two other guys to play for Falkirk fc. I then returned to Albion and knocked back a contract from Spartans to play with my mates. After then moving to porty thistle I was taken to Cowdenbeath by Davie Liddell and played at firrhill against Patrick thistle I played the full 90 minutes at right back and for the entire first half had Jimmy bone calling me a dirty ******* for a tackle I put in on their winger early doors  ended up leaving and signing with the gyle where we won promotion first year and walked the league last year but due to shifts I've had to leave and I've now joined west end United in the sunday league.Wonder if its the same Billy Armstrong I grew up with in Bingham ...:hmmm: he was a really good player but iirc was never assigned to a team ...just preferred kick abouts up the park ..

southsider
11-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Didn't play after leaving school, other than the odd kick about of course. To be honest, I was rubbish!So
was I but I helped run a team in the Sunday pub league. We had a full back who liked a night out. Just before a corner, against us, was to be taken our full back was leaning against the post. The ref went over to ask how he was. Full back vomits on ref's boots. Never got much from him that day Wonder why.

snooky
11-02-2015, 12:03 PM
I'm glad it was only your toy soldiers

:greengrin

Allant1981
11-02-2015, 01:51 PM
You think you have to have played at a decent level to be an expert in how the game should be played?

I played at school level - totally bang average. Cat C Level coach.

It does help having played at a decent level to have a bit more understanding about why things are done how they are on the park, but not always, ie mourinho. If not then we would have joe blogs on motd every week rather than ex pros

Spike Mandela
11-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Played school football, Muirhouse primary and Craigroyston High school and Hutchie Vale, Mr Abishano (don't no if that is the right spelling of name) was manager at Hutchie, Mark Currie, got a contract at Hibs and Scott Nisbet was a good friend and our wee school primary derby was against Silverknowes primary and he played for the enemy :greengrin, i just never stuck in and my left peg went to waste. :greengrin

Did you win your SC medal with Hutchie? My Salvesen team got beat by Hutchie in the final at Saughton enclosure with a last minute goal.

Looking at your age you might be team below me. The Hutchie team I played against always had me marking a right winger with the Great name Carlo Crolla.

bigwheel
11-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Did you win your SC medal with Hutchie? My Salvesen team got beat by Hutchie in the final at Saughton enclosure with a last minute goal.

Looking at your age you might be team below me. The Hutchie team I played against always had me marking a right winger with the Great name Carlo Crolla.

if you played ages with Kano etc...that would have been Mark Crolla - great guy, good player too...had a good junior career...now runs a sandwich shop on Castle Street, as well as doing some social work (if I recall correctly)...

Smartie
11-02-2015, 02:23 PM
It does help having played at a decent level to have a bit more understanding about why things are done how they are on the park, but not always, ie mourinho. If not then we would have joe blogs on motd every week rather than ex pros

It's a piece of nonsense that has held the Scottish game back for decades.

Mourinho, Brendan Rogers and the like wouldn't have made it anywhere in the Scottish game - "Whit dis he ken aboot fitba' like?" and the assumption that just because you've played 300 games for airdrie means you know anything about leadership, teamwork, strategy, tactics etc.

I've got mates who can't play a musical note but I trust their tastes and opinions on music implicitly. Football is the same. You don't have to have played the game (IMO) to understand it. It probably helps, but it is not essential. And there are some mercurial talents out there who can play but don't really have a great, deep understanding of the game.

Ultimately, we are all punters and all opinions are valid regardless of whether or not they are backed up with any substance whatsoever.

Brightside
11-02-2015, 02:25 PM

OR...the majority of coaches are ex-pros as its the obvious route for them to take after football. As for MOTD i'd much rather have the monkeys from PJ Tips on it than Robbie Savage and Danny Mills! Gary Neville is a great analyser of football due to the amount of time he's spent in a classroom and monitoring games rather than playing in them.

Spike Mandela
11-02-2015, 02:41 PM
if you played ages with Kano etc...that would have been Mark Crolla - great guy, good player too...had a good junior career...now runs a sandwich shop on Castle Street, as well as doing some social work (if I recall correctly)...

Cheers mate, a stocky wee right winger. Tough guy to play against. Seen the name Carlo Crolla in the junior ranks somewhere and assumed it was him.

Allant1981
11-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Mourinho, Brendan Rogers and the like wouldn't have made it anywhere in the Scottish game - "Whit dis he ken aboot fitba' like?" and the assumption that just because you've played 300 games for airdrie means you know anything about leadership, teamwork, strategy, tactics etc.

I've got mates who can't play a musical note but I trust their tastes and opinions on music implicitly. Football is the same. You don't have to have played the game (IMO) to understand it. It probably helps, but it is not essential. And there are some mercurial talents out there who can play but don't really have a great, deep understanding of the game.

Ultimately, we are all punters and all opinions are valid regardless of whether or not they are backed up with any substance whatsoever.

So you dont have to have played the game to understand it but probably helps if you have, ok!

StevieC
11-02-2015, 02:46 PM
I played for a few seasons with a couple of the IFA (Internet Football Association) teams (most notably with Olympique Lion for around 5 or 6 years). They did have a Hibs team (either Erin Hibs or Hibs.net) but I never played with them, only ever against them!.

I captained the Erin Hibs team in the IFA league, and have 3 British Cup winners medals to my name. :greengrin
(Also played for PSJ on a few occasions)

Allant1981
11-02-2015, 02:48 PM
OR...the majority of coaches are ex-pros as its the obvious route for them to take after football. As for MOTD i'd much rather have the monkeys from PJ Tips on it than Robbie Savage and Danny Mills! Gary Neville is a great analyser of football due to the amount of time he's spent in a classroom and monitoring games rather than playing in them.

I think we will need to agree to disagree, if someone watched me do my job for a while they might know bits of what i do but wouldnt know why i do them unless they have done the job themselves,

Northernhibee
11-02-2015, 04:54 PM
School team and Sunday local pub league.No nonsense CB - probably a bit mute physical than we should have been! Did once play in a charity game for Wateraid at Glastonbury, England vs ROW and we lost 6-4. Was still drunk though

LaMotta
11-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Yeah but would you trust them to teach somebody else how to play a musical instrument? :hmmm:

Smartie
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Yeah but would you trust them to teach somebody else how to play a musical instrument? :hmmm:

Are we talking about the know-how of fans or coaches here (I got a bit mixed up talking about both in my post)? I was partly responding to the suggestion earlier in the thread that some of the most vocal on this site are conspicuous by their absence on this thread, which I thought was a bit unfair. I'm defending the right of those who may not have played much to have a valid opinion on this site.

I suppose it's impossible to teach a musical instrument if you can't play a note. You have to have some grounding in it somewhere. But teaching ability is more important under those circumstances than the ability to play imo.

There was another thread a while back about great players getting management gigs because they were great players and not necessarily because of their managerial credentials. Some great players have been criticised for their inability to relate to players who have less ability than them (Hoddle, Roy Keane, even JC).

Ok, to teach/coach I accept you have to have some practical knowledge. But those that think you have to have "played the game" at a certain level to have a valid opinion have, in my opinion, been holding us back in this country for a long time.

Fortunately elsewhere these barriers are being broken down along with many others (kids who went to private schools becoming professional footballers etc).

Sudds_1
11-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Burgh top of the league, thrashed leaders on Saturday. Real chance of promotion to division 1 with 4 games to go. I'm a bit clueless on some of the rules but go to support my son and actually enjoy watching the games.

Yea doing well this season............. professional game almost killed the smaller provincial clubs, but the burgh came through!

My pics are in the committee room...ugly beggar with a beard. No hair or beard now!!

But great days! Still have a good songbook!

Brightside
11-02-2015, 08:30 PM
The best coaches in ALL sports are generally not from the top table at that sport. Gymnastics, Swimming, Boxing, Golf, Athletics... You do not have to have played football at a high level to understand how to totally dismantle an opponent via tactics. Some ex footballers are awful coaches / managers.

tamig
11-02-2015, 09:01 PM
First proper organised football was for Redpath Albion in the under 21 league. I was only 16 but a pal of mine was an apprentice there so went along and got into the team.

We used to train in Lochend Park, getting changed in the huge engineering sheds and cross two railway lines to get into the park.When it got too dark we trained in old D K's school gym .

Played in Sunday morning kick-abouts with Alex Cropley when we were about 14 but that don't count. :greengrin

My late father-in-law used to manage Redpath and my uncle played for them.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Has anyone mentioned Subbuteo yet?

tamig
11-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Think his sister may be my neighbour!

tamig
11-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Cheers mate, a stocky wee right winger. Tough guy to play against. Seen the name Carlo Crolla in the junior ranks somewhere and assumed it was him.

Carlo was with Hibs in the early 80s and played a few first team games. Had a cracking tache and was a decent player.

greenlex
12-02-2015, 10:58 AM
School, BB,s, Juvenile, Amateur, Bonnyrigg Sunday league and briefly Junior before injury scuppered it.

sambajustice
12-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Has anyone mentioned Subbuteo yet?

Ha ha ha, Grande!!!

Scottish International at Subbuteo, Champion of the UK & Ireland. :greengrin:greengrin - Thats true btw!!!

At real football, well, Brian Latto gave me 7 red cards one game. Thats my claim to fame! :greengrin

Haymaker
12-02-2015, 01:44 PM
I captained Hibs and Scotland.

on football manager

Peevemor
12-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I've played at Hampden, Ibrox, Pittodrie, Meadowbank, Tynie, the Dangleberry Airdrie place and Murrayfield...

Bagpipes that is - BBs & the Saughton Enclosure was the highest level I managed at football.

greenginger
12-02-2015, 10:36 PM

I played 1967 -1969 , I remember a wee guy called Bertie managed them .A couple of the other players were Davie Bell and John Birnie.

All a bit vague now !

Northernhibee
12-02-2015, 10:40 PM
I captained Hibs and Scotland.

on football manager

In a previous version I had a consortium take over Arbroath and a few seasons down the line won the Scottish cup and knocked Real Madrid out of Europe. Carted my laptop round three separate mates houses that night to show them :greengrin

LaMotta
12-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Ha ha ha, Grande!!!

Scottish International at Subbuteo, Champion of the UK & Ireland. :greengrin:greengrin - Thats true btw!!!

At real football, well, Brian Latto gave me 7 red cards one game. Thats my claim to fame! :greengrin

Latto is a legend! He was always prone to some strange decisions but he actually once booked my teammate for nutmegging someone...said it was unsporting behaviour as we were 6 - 2 up. Bonkers!

aussie_hibee
13-02-2015, 01:54 AM
Played in the west australia state league (1 step below A league) since 1999 and represented west australian state team several times. Still playing now at 35 but have dropped a division.

Played at Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Stadium (Brunei national stadium - 28,000 capacity) in same tournament as Rueben Sosa as part of the Brunei Invitational Cup in 2002 and played at gelora delta sidoarjo stadium (35,000 capacity) in 2008 for W.A state v East Java U23s in the Friendship cup.
Also played at Perth Glorys ground as well as playing against them in friendlies 5 times and beating them 3 times.
Played against Iraq national team for WA in 2003. Scored but chalked off for offside and eventually got beat 4-0. They went on to make the 1/4 finals of the AFC Asian cup 6 months later.

gorgie greens
13-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Played in a Scottish cup semi final ,for Salvesen BC, once had the maroon of Tynecasyle boys club,played 1 game scored 2,my skin came all out in a rash after wearing that blood turd horrible top.
Thought i was better than the average bod,started driving taxis in Edinburgh in 1989 and started playi:confused:ng football with the taxi guys down the jack Kane .Alex Cropley came along once .i was 24 at the time ,he walked with a limp after his numerous broken legs and injuries and he wripped me a new one,i could not get near him once he had the ball,
knew i was Johnny average from that day on:confused:

BT58
13-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Played 21 a side at Greendykes concrete sq (opp shops), great for wall passes (lol) progressed to Peffermill primary at the castle pitches ( now thats what u call a slope).
Secondary was Porty for a year ( egg chasers).Played at Sandies on their ash all weather pitch. Used to be a fast winger. Now im a fat whinger (acc to my mates,,lol)

edinburghhibee
13-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Redpath Albion cracking wee club surrounded by folk who love the game and just want young lads to have fun playing. Their chairman Bryan should be given an award for the amount of time and effort he puts into not just that club but helping young kids in the leith area. Unsung hero if ever Id saw one!!!

lyonhibs
13-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Worst pitch would be up at Niddrie down from Craigmillar Castle

I played for Towerbank there and two different games stick out.

I was the right back and in one game was standing at the post defending a corner when one of the bystanders showed me a knife and told me if they lost I would be seeing it at closer quarters!

Another game played in the snow with the old leather balls.

It was so heavy the keeper couldn't kick it out the box.

The ref's solution was to let me dribble it to the edge of the box, whereupon the Niddrie team stood in wait, it was like the football scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Happy happy days how I wish my knees weren't knackered and I could still play 5's. Thinking of trying the walking football, anyone else do it?

Used to play Sunday Miners for Poltonhall Miners on a Sunday morning and that was a tasty league.

In those days I was a winger and in our local derby against the now demolished Staiside I beat the full back but failed to get past the spectator who challenged next.

5 minutes later beat the full back again but was a bit startled by the bottle whizzing past my ear and converted to centre forward for the rest of the game until I nutted the centre half (accidently) going up for a header and we both got carted off to hospital.

Great days, I really miss playing football :boo hoo:

I'm not there yet, hoping to get a good few years at full pace out of the old joints yet but there was a really good article in The Guardian recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/10/walking-football-wins-over-older-men-to-new-form-of-the-beautiful-game

When the time comes for me, it sounds like a no brainer. I'd go off my nut without some form of football to play. I'm sure in Edinburgh + Lothians it can't be that hard to get involved......

lyonhibs
13-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Latto is a legend! He was always prone to some strange decisions but he actually once booked my teammate for nutmegging someone...said it was unsporting behaviour as we were 6 - 2 up. Bonkers!

Total lunatic. Off his rocker and so frustrating to get a game reffed by him.

Funny now though.............:grr:

Hermit Crab
13-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I played in a match about 5 years ago and the opposing teams centre half punched our centre forward clean in the coupon. The ref seen it and after the dust had settled after the usual pushing and shoving the refs solution was to say to the centre half who'd punched our team mate "if you apologise I won't send you off". Incredible decision and after that I knew the game was ****** and I decidied enough was enough.

Ritchie
13-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Ha ha ha, Grande!!!

Latto deserves a thread of his own!

HIBEES 4 LIFE
13-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Played and scored at Hampden......twice!!!

soupy
13-02-2015, 11:17 AM
I made a few substitute appearances for the mighty Carlton branch, I came in handy when they were absolutely desperate for players or needed a driver for journeys to cadzow Hamilton and the likes....Rank I was....:-)

Future17
13-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Latto deserves a thread of his own!

:agree:

We were once 4-1 in a game he was reffing and he gave the opposition a ridiculous penalty which they scored to make it 4-2. I'd played in matches he'd reffed before and knew how much he liked games to end in a draw so I pulled the whole team in and warned them that he would try to even it up so not to do anything stupid to give him the opportunity as there was only about 5 mins left in the game. Two more dodgy penalties later and it finished 4-4.

I also saw him send someone off after about 3 mins for deliberate handball on the line. It was the correct decision but I was amazed he'd made it as it wasn't his usual approach. About 10 mins later he sent off an opposition player for kicking the ball away - straight red and the guy hadn't even been booked.

leither17
13-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Played and scored at Hampden......twice!!!

Are you Steven Fletcher?

HIBEES 4 LIFE
13-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Are you Steven Fletcher?

Nope, 2 separate games......and it was in front of around 700 each time not a league cup final

The Baldmans Comb
13-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Murrayburn Primary 7 v us from Primary 6 as we had challenged the older boys to a game and they had continually crapped it.

Huge showdown came one glorious summer night at the nearby local park which in time sadly was levelled to make way for Westburn Primary school.

Jaicket's for goal posts and we won 16:15 or 15:14 or 18:17 and celebrated for weeks.

I can remember that game and my 1 goal as if it was yesterday and the Hibs connection as we younger lads had drafted in a gifted Primary 4 ringer being a 9 year old Calum Milne who went on to have a very full football career including around 70 Hibs games.

greenginger
13-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Redpath Albion cracking wee club surrounded by folk who love the game and just want young lads to have fun playing. Their chairman Bryan should be given an award for the amount of time and effort he puts into not just that club but helping young kids in the leith area. Unsung hero if ever Id saw one!!!

Do Redpath Albion still play their games at Pilrig Park ?

lyonhibs
13-02-2015, 01:50 PM
I hardly ever - and I mean ever - score goals but a couple in particular were absolute rippers.

1) Playing fives at uni with a childhood mate and after many hours in the Queens Park we had a pretty good understanding of where the other one would be. Ball from the back goes off 1 wall to him, with a defender tight behind him. I run from the back and without a word he backheels it through his markers legs and I crash it into the net on the run. This lead to the other team and other members of our team trying to recreate this for the rest of the match with no success.

2) On a 2 week school exhange as a 14/15 year old in France. Lunchtime game on their asphalt pitch quickly becomes an epic France vs Scotland 20-a side affair, except the French lads appear to have been on the red meat and protein shakes diet all their days compared with us, or me at least. From the halfway line (so about 35 yards realistically) the ball drops over my shoulder and with my back to their goal, a swivelling half-volley/hoof arcs over their goalie, off the bar, off the goalies back and in.

3) Just a couple of weekends ago, playing a fives tournament into ridiculous hockey goals - tall but narrow. Get the ball from the goalie, round one guy who dives in and then with my left foot, usually for standing only, a gloriously angled toe punt into the bottom corner.

Spike Mandela
13-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Murrayburn Primary 7 v us from Primary 6 as we had challenged the older boys to a game and they had continually crapped it.

Huge showdown came one glorious summer night at the nearby local park which in time sadly was levelled to make way for Westburn Primary school.

Jaicket's for goal posts and we won 16:15 or 15:14 or 18:17 and celebrated for weeks.

I can remember that game and my 1 goal as if it was yesterday and the Hibs connection as we younger lads had drafted in a gifted Primary 4 ringer being a 9 year old Calum Milne who went on to have a very full football career including around 70 Hibs games.

I was in the Murrayburn team with Callum that got to the Inspectors cup final and lost 1-0 to Greendykes with a goal scrted by none other than John bloody Robertson. Wish I'd tackled him neck high:greengrin

Was the park you are talking about the grounds of the old nursery? Used to play in there a lot.

kaisersmith
13-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Started at portobello thistle, then hutchie vale, signed s forms with rangers, there for a season. Got booted by them , said no to hearts, went back to Hutchie where I was playing youth and reserve for livi. Edinburgh senior schools captain, Lothian schools captain, won the San Siri tournament in Italy with scotland u14 team, 2 scottish cup winners, 1 runner up, 4 league winners medals host of others....packed it all in at 19 cause I wanted to be in the music industry...so became a skint musician...good choice :(

Marked Michael Owen in a game against the English excellence academy in Lillyshaw he ripped me for arse paper!

I'd be first to admit though despite the impressive cv I wasn't that good and probably wouldn't have made the top grade anyway

BSEJVT
13-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm not there yet, hoping to get a good few years at full pace out of the old joints yet but there was a really good article in The Guardian recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/10/walking-football-wins-over-older-men-to-new-form-of-the-beautiful-game

When the time comes for me, it sounds like a no brainer. I'd go off my nut without some form of football to play. I'm sure in Edinburgh + Lothians it can't be that hard to get involved......

Thanks for that

Something I will have a look into.

hibeequinn
13-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Hutchie Vale from 1st year to 3rd year then went too the tower in Livingston and then bathgate juniors till a tore my ligaments :(

heidtheba
13-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Primary school - up to P3 then got bored seeing none of the ball. Then realised that there was a reason I was seeing none of the ball - I was a huddie. Didn't really care. Mildly got into football in P7 because Scotland were in the World Cup that year (1986) and I thought I was vaguely cooler for cheering on Kenny Dalglish all the way. He was the only player I'd heard of.

I didn't know that he didn't play in that cup because of injury until about 1994...

Played on a full pitch twice at high school but didn't know the positions so the teacher had to run up and down the sidelines next to me yelling at me what to do. 90 mins. 1 touch of the ball. In the snow... Great!

Did play in a dads football match once and almost scored a cracker of a goal against a dad who did some Lev Yashin style save to deny me. Said that to his mrs and she replied 'aye he used to play for the Hearts...'.

Never found out who he was though.

I play football like a baby penguin. Love it but it's laughable how bad I am. Only got into the sport when I saw my first Hibs match in 93.

Keith_M
13-02-2015, 05:34 PM
What is the highest level of football you played at?
I once had a kickabout on top of Ben Nevis.

It was December and the place was covered in ice but the game was still on :greengrin

DaveF
13-02-2015, 05:44 PM
I was in the Murrayburn team with Callum that got to the Inspectors cup final and lost 1-0 to Greendykes with a goal scrted by none other than John bloody Robertson. Wish I'd tackled him neck high:greengrin

Was the park you are talking about the grounds of the old nursery? Used to play in there a lot.

You sure you got the school correct spike? I went to greendykes and while younger than Robertson I can't ever recall talk of him being at the school or from round there?

Maybe he played as a ringer :)

My highlight for greendykes was as a p7 I picked up the ball when I saw it cross the white line. Sadly for me, it was the 6 yard white line and a penalty was given. Not sure I ever played again....

Mr White
13-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Started at portobello thistle, then hutchie vale, signed s forms with rangers, there for a season. Got booted by them , said no to hearts, went back to Hutchie where I was playing youth and reserve for livi. Edinburgh senior schools captain, Lothian schools captain, won the San Siri tournament in Italy with scotland u14 team, 2 scottish cup winners, 1 runner up, 4 league winners medals host of others....packed it all in at 19 cause I wanted to be in the music industry...so became a skint musician...good choice :(

Marked Michael Owen in a game against the English excellence academy in Lillyshaw he ripped me for arse paper!

I'd be first to admit though despite the impressive cv I wasn't that good and probably wouldn't have made the top grade anyway
Porty thistle? Andy Smith by any chance?

MSK
13-02-2015, 05:49 PM
You sure you got the school correct spike? I went to greendykes and while younger than Robertson I can't ever recall talk of him being at the school or from round there?

My highlight for greendykes was as a p7 I picked up the ball when I saw it cross the white line. Sadly for me, it was the 6 yard white line and a penalty was given. Not sure I ever played again....John Robertson played for Porty High school ..don't remember him being at Greendykes ..:agree:

Spike Mandela
13-02-2015, 05:57 PM

My highlight for greendykes was as a p7 I picked up the ball when I saw it cross the white line. Sadly for me, it was the 6 yard white line and a penalty was given. Not sure I ever played again....

Funny I had this same conversation with a Jambo that was in the Murrayburn team as well. I thought it was Keith Wright but he swore blind it was John Robertson.

Things all getting so misty in the memory now that by the time I'm 70 the story will probably say it was Franck Sauzee.:greengrin

It was definitely Greendykes that's for sure.

kaisersmith
13-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Porty thistle? Andy Smith by any chance?

Damn I was hoping to remain anonymous :(

Mr White
13-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Damn I was hoping to remain anonymous :(

Sorry, I'll delete it if you want. Its brendan by the way :greengrin

kaisersmith
13-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Sorry, I'll delete it if you want. Its brendan by the way :greengrin
Ha hope your well man...long long long time :)

Mr White
13-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Ha hope your well man...long long long time :)

Aye it is that, I'm good mate thanks. Didn't realise you were signed to the huns for a while. There can't have been too many guys from your school to darken their door over the years!

kaisersmith
13-02-2015, 08:03 PM
Aye it is that, I'm good mate thanks. Didn't realise you were signed to the huns for a while. There can't have been too many guys from your school to darken their door over the years!

I was undercover :)

Mr White
13-02-2015, 08:10 PM
I was undercover :)

:greengrin

BSEJVT
13-02-2015, 08:44 PM
John Robertson played for Porty High school ..don't remember him being at Greendykes ..:agree:

That he did along with Davie Bowman in a decent team coached by Terry Christie.

Year below me but I played ( was sub!) for them as I was young for my year at High School

eastmainsmsh
14-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Mark currie was cracking player played for Ormiston in junior cup final went senior with alloa and poss played eos?

Danderhall Hibs
18-02-2015, 11:43 AM
2) On a 2 week school exhange as a 14/15 year old in France. Lunchtime game on their asphalt pitch quickly becomes an epic France vs Scotland 20-a side affair, except the French lads appear to have been on the red meat and protein shakes diet all their days compared with us, or me at least. From the halfway line (so about 35 yards realistically) the ball drops over my shoulder and with my back to their goal, a swivelling half-volley/hoof arcs over their goalie, off the bar, off the goalies back and in.

So that's an OG then? :greengrin

I went to Greendykes as well. I don't think Robertson was at Greendykes - his nephew was for a while but never heard of JR going there? Obviously I'm a lot younger than him but you'd have heard; like when I went to Porty High and heard about him going to there.

ALF TUPPER
18-02-2015, 12:29 PM
I played for Hibs
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

Glasgow Hibs Supporters Club in the 80's. :greengrin

I was shte. Cant describe how good it felt to pull on that Hibs jersey and turning out for a team of mad hibbies though. Good times.

After that I turned to refereeing. Probably sent most of you lot off !! :thumbsup:

hibs0666
18-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Was captain of London Hibs when we won the APFSCIL league (div 3) in our first season.

We were presented with the league shield by Billy Bingham, and I passed it round the table so that everyone could have a wee deek.

On this 10 yard journey someone noticed that one of the wee shields was engraved with Glasgow Rangers in recognition of a previous league campaign.

Suffice to say, by the time that I got it back (2 mins) there was a bare piece of wood where the hun shield used to be.

Filled me with pride so it did. :thumbsup:

Stranraer
18-02-2015, 01:44 PM
I remember playing for East End BC back in my younger days. The under 20's were abysmal compared to the under 17's. Good times travelling to Lochar Thistle and getting pumped 10-0 by Heston Rovers.

J-C
18-02-2015, 01:57 PM
I was around 26 at the time and still playing a high level of rugby but I still loved to have a game of footie whenever I could, so I played for the Ellwyn Hotel now and then in the Lothian sunday league. We played one game at Inverleith on it's notorious sloping pitch, freezing and windy with little mounds of sick dotted along the side of the pitch. With me being fairly muscular I played as a holding mid and therefore didn't score many goals, scecialy not with my head as I'm 5'8", over came the corner, I was on the edge of the area, I leapt as high as my wee legs could manage and I scored a beauty of a header into the top corner, to say I was over the moon was an exageration. :greengrin

H18S NX
18-02-2015, 02:06 PM
i had a kickabout on Ben Nevis,that is quite a high level,i would imagine.

Adam Green
18-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Funny I had this same conversation with a Jambo that was in the Murrayburn team as well. I thought it was Keith Wright but he swore blind it was John Robertson.

Things all getting so misty in the memory now that by the time I'm 70 the story will probably say it was Franck Sauzee.:greengrin

Could it have been Parson's Green?

I'm sure I remember John Robertson and Dave Bowman visiting one day when I went there.

As an aside Jackie McNamara (junior) went to Parson's Green for a while too.

theonlywayisup
18-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Highest level kicking a ball up Arthur Seat until the foot paths got to narrow

I had a kick about with my mates on the top of Ben Nevis - (a bit smoother than that Hampden surface) Does this count?:greengrin

I once had a kickabout on top of Ben Nevis.

It was December and the place was covered in ice but the game was still on :greengrin

i had a kickabout on Ben Nevis,that is quite a high level,i would imagine.

There's always one.....two....three..........................

snooky
18-02-2015, 04:34 PM
There's always one.....two....three..........................

I'm just glad I'm no' Ben Nevis.

Spike Mandela
18-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Could it have been Parson's Green?

I'm sure I remember John Robertson and Dave Bowman visiting one day when I went there.

As an aside Jackie McNamara (junior) went to Parson's Green for a while too.

**** me you might be right. Parson's Green rings a bell. 40 years after this iInspectors cup final my mind has turned to mush.:greengrin

DaveF
18-02-2015, 09:21 PM

He went to - and no doubt played - for the Greendykes school team, so I reckon you are right.

DaveF
18-02-2015, 09:25 PM
**** me you might be right. Parson's Green rings a bell. 40 years after this iInspectors cup final my mind has turned to mush.:greengrin

In fact, here's a refresher for you from hibs.net 2013 :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?270833-What-was-your-primary-school-football-team-like/page7

Spike Mandela
18-02-2015, 10:31 PM
In fact, here's a refresher for you from hibs.net 2013 :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?270833-What-was-your-primary-school-football-team-like/page7

Ha ha cheers. I think I can remember which Primary I went to but these days I have to double check.:greengrin

1875STEVE
19-02-2015, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

Don't no the answer either but i have a SC winners medal.

Played school football, Muirhouse primary and Craigroyston High school and Hutchie Vale, Mr Abishano (don't no if that is the right spelling of name) was manager at Hutchie, Mark Currie, got a contract at Hibs and Scott Nisbet was a good friend and our wee school primary derby was against Silverknowes primary and he played for the enemy , i just never stuck in and my left peg went to waste

Mark currie was cracking player played for Ormiston in junior cup final went senior with alloa and poss played eos?

Brilliant.

I work beside Mark now.

Was telling me he was in the same midfield at Hibs reserves/youth as Weir, Kane and I think Collins, and was the only one who didn't make it.

I played and captained Fernieside primary school, school is now no longer there.

Never played for high school team.

Played for Captain's Cabin, Fernieside BC, Inch House BC, Foundation Star BC and for a few weeks Edina Hibs and then St Bernard's .

My Dad is one of the two men who founded Fernieside BC.

My brother did better.

Played for Fernieside BC, Tynecastle and Granton Sports, was a year or so ahead of Riordan and O'Connor iirc.

Scored two goals in the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden, but I think they lost 4-3 to some Weggie mob.

Went on to play for years in the Juniors: Penicuik , Newtongrange Star, then EOS with Whitehill Welfare, then back Junior with Arniston Rangers. He is currently Assistant Manager at Arniston.

My sister did ok too, played for Tynecastle, Leith Athletic and Hibs Girls. Even made a couple of Scotland squad's (U18 I think), and was offered decent money to go play in Italy when she was 16, but my mum wouldn't let her go! :na na:

scottish_sleepy
19-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Played amateur for Brunstane Bar then Maybury leagues for around 12 years with Kings Park ...claim to fame was scoring from my own half v Busy Bee in a 3-2 win at Jack Kane ..a wind assisted clearance that came back down with snow on it. they all count though ...:greengrin

When Kings Park split up I had the misfortune of playing in the Edinburgh Amateur leagues with Milton Star (Captains Bar) ..great guys but an erse of a Manager (ex Brunstane) ..I hung up my boots after that ill fated year ..

Managed hibs.net team to a 1-0 win over the bounce at Meadowbank stadium a few years back ....:flag:

Remember it well 😁😁😁😁

scottish_sleepy
19-02-2015, 03:12 AM

Best football days were still the Warriston League for Holy Cross. Good times.

Used to play for Partizan in that league.
Remember Duddingston turning up pished most weeks.
You usually had a chance until half time when they sobered up.

MSK
19-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Used to play for Partizan in that league.
Remember Duddingston turning up pished most weeks.
You usually had a chance until half time when they sobered up.Was that the Duddingston Mull team ?...(Cleekim Inn)..now a Farmfoods store ..:greengrin

I was their "Sponge/bag/magic spray man" for a spell before they were suspended from the league ...former management & a few ex players from Kings Park, tough bunch of lads but a good team on their day ..:agree:

Canongatehibs
19-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Top of Arthur Seat.

spike220
19-02-2015, 08:57 AM
So only 8% of people on Hibs Net know what they are talking about, I would have put it nearer to 4% myself.

scott7_0(Prague)
19-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Played U16 and U18's for Scotland Boys Clubs.

We played a series of home nation games, my claim was to score the winner against Wales at Broomfield Park, the old Airdrie Ground (the one with the pavilion). A few us went on to play a bit Junior/Senior football, a couple semi professional and 1 professional for Hibs (center of the photo) :wink:

exHIBition
24-02-2015, 03:02 AM
I scored a winner against Sturm Graz almost 10 years ago.....before getting myself a red card :brickwall