PDA

View Full Version : Sir Tom Farmer - gentleman

worcesterhibby
08-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Last week I was really mad with all the mindless rubbish that Pia and some of the other conspiracy theorists were coming out with. The Joker in the gorilla suit and his mobile "scam" poster wound me up even more and I must admit I felt particularly embarrassed that a tiny section of the Hibs support were treating Sir Tom and our club in such a shameful way. IMHO

I couldn't think of much to do that was positive to re-dress the balance, other than write to Sir Tom Farmer and outline that maybe the loudest voices were hostile, but I for one was grateful for what he had done for the club and that although obviously mistakes have been made when it comes to the appointment of managers, that I have never doubted his good intentions. I also added a personal note about how my dad's little engineering business had fabricated a few things for his garage in Leith when he was just starting out in business in the 1970's and wondered if he remembered.

Just for the record, it's the first time I've ever written to anyone connected to Hibs

3 days later I received a hand signed letter from Sir Tom himself, thanking me for my support, and commenting on each section of my letter in detail. (this was no stock reply sent out by a secretary) he even finished by chatting about my fathers business and letting me know that he did remember the work they had done for his business.

I won't reproduce the letter in full as it is private and addressed to me and I haven't asked Sir Tom's permission…but suffice to say. The man is a class act.

ano hibby
08-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Nice story. Good for you for writing the letter (you went a step further than me..I thought about it but never got round to it) and good for STF replying.
Thumbs up smiley.

Hibeewilly
08-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Last week I was really mad with all the mindless rubbish that Pia and some of the other conspiracy theorists were coming out with. The Joker in the gorilla suit and his mobile "scam" poster wound me up even more and I must admit I felt particularly embarrassed that a tiny section of the Hibs support were treating Sir Tom and our club in such a shameful way. IMHO

I couldn't think of much to do that was positive to re-dress the balance, other than write to Sir Tom Farmer and outline that maybe the loudest voices were hostile, but I for one was grateful for what he had done for the club and that although obviously mistakes have been made when it comes to the appointment of managers, that I have never doubted his good intentions. I also added a personal note about how my dad's little engineering business had fabricated a few things for his garage in Leith when he was just starting out in business in the 1970's and wondered if he remembered.

Just for the record, it's the first time I've ever written to anyone connected to Hibs

3 days later I received a hand signed letter from Sir Tom himself, thanking me for my support, and commenting on each section of my letter in detail. (this was no stock reply sent out by a secretary) he even finished by chatting about my fathers business and letting me know that he did remember the work they had done for his business.

I won't reproduce the letter in full as it is private and addressed to me and I haven't asked Sir Tom's permission…but suffice to say. The man is a class act.
Great to hear all of that WH. Tom is indeed a gentleman

banchoryhibs
08-02-2015, 12:08 PM
I chatted with him after the AGM and let him know that, in my opinion, the personal attacks against him were the work of a very small unrepresentative minority. He was a complete gentleman when I spoke with him.

One thing that I mentioned was that I admired some of the charity work he' s done over the years - he's personally put his own time and effort helping those less fortunate. He did not simply write cheques, he physically helped out. He seemed surprised that I knew about this as to my knowledge he has never sought to publicise this side of his work.

Hindsight is a marvellous thing and there's no doubt that mistakes have been made along the way - but over the piece his contribution to Hibs has been tremendous.

I hope that the unwarranted attacks will now stop completely.

Deansy
08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
The abuse he's received recently, is a disgrace. His only 'crime' is he has no interest in the actual game and for that, certain people should be ashamed !!.

I'm NOT 'Pro STF/RP' - I still feel a complete change at ER and a 'Football 1st - Business 2nd' owner/board/fan-owned (?) is the way forward, but STF's only 'crime' is allowing RP to remain in charge too long. However, what STF has done (and did) for Hibs - far, far outweighs that !

Aubenas
08-02-2015, 12:10 PM

:top marks:agree::aok:

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-02-2015, 12:17 PM

Good stuff mate

PatHead
08-02-2015, 12:21 PM

Well done

BT58
08-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I met sir Tom at Roslin chapel last year, him and his wife [i think] nice people,:agree::agree::agree:
i kept my distance, but he spotted my hibs badge and came over to my wife and i and chatted for 5 minutes or so,
absolute gent, i was going to ask when his laddie was going to take over, but decided against it

Golden Bear
08-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Good on you. I'm sure your views are representative of the vast majority of sensible and reasonably minded Hibs supporters. We're very lucky to have Sir Tom at the helm and long may he continue in that capacity.

hibby6270
08-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Great story from the OP. Should never be forgotten what STF did for this club IMO.

One of the stands will (or should) be named after him one day. :thumbsup: :aok:

Spike Mandela
08-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Sometimes a simple thank you is enough to keep people motivated and doing great work.

spike220
09-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Great story from the OP. Should never be forgotten what STF did for this club IMO.

I like the idea of the East being called " Toms " Stand.

wills
09-02-2015, 08:23 AM
I for one think we should pay some tribute to STF where would we be right now without his intervention. Could rename the old Dunbar End stand in his honour

Smartie
09-02-2015, 08:34 AM
I prefer it when this kind of thing is done when someone is still alive so they can see what they meant to people.

It's a shame that so often it can only happen after the individual dies.

If we can make a decent fist of this share issue and get ourselves back into the top league something should definitely be done.

Hibrandenburg
09-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I prefer it when this kind of thing is done when someone is still alive so they can see what they meant to people.

It's a shame that so often it can only happen after the individual dies.

If we can make a decent fist of this share issue and get ourselves back into the top league something should definitely be done.

I'm sure if that happened that some would say STF instigated it and call it self glorification. He can't win and imo does the right thing by keeping a low profile.

eastcoasthibby
09-02-2015, 09:32 AM
What a great thread this is, it has introduced the positive appreciation and recognition, on a topic that concerned me, about how STF felt and thought about the reaction following our relegation last year. I no doubt like others wondered and worried about what would happen if he decided to walk away at that point ? ?? Whilst the hurt was unimaginably immense the abuse towards the man that had saved our club and sat behind us for so many years was disgusting.
I have no idea why he has and remains so devoutly behind Hibs, overseeing and supporting the changes afoot and so resolutely ensuring that any changes to the structure of a new Hibernian Football club are right and sustainable with a balance of a business and football at the fore, but thankfully he still does this.

I had never thought of naming a stand after STF, but think it is a great idea and very respectful of what he has been and continues to be to this club, it would be such a great mark of respect for this to come from the fans forums to the board.
Yes no doubt there will be the shortsighted and negative views, but reality is would we still be here without him ????

Smartie
09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm sure if that happened that some would say STF instigated it and call it self glorification. He can't win and imo does the right thing by keeping a low profile.

I'm sure they would. But we shouldn't let that particular set of nutters dictate what we do and don't do.

I agree that keeping a low profile is the right thing for him to do. He could never be accused of self-glorification though and we shouldn't be bullied into not recognising the contribution of a very special man and family to our club - we wouldn't have had the rough or the smooth of following Hibs over the past 25 years without him.

Fergos
09-02-2015, 09:40 AM
The naming of the stand is maybe one for a poll on here to gauge reaction.....I for one would back it, STF has made mistakes, but who hasn't? His contribution far outweighs any mistakes that have been incurred.

GGTTH

Geo_1875
09-02-2015, 09:44 AM
The naming of the stand is maybe one for a poll on here to gauge reaction.....I for one would back it, STF has made mistakes, but who hasn't? His contribution far outweighs any mistakes that have been incurred.

GGTTH

If not the stand then we could name the half time smoking area outside the East after Sir Tom. One of his finest achievements.

Fergos
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
If not the stand then we could name the half time smoking area outside the East after Sir Tom. One of his finest achievements.

Aye a greater achievement than being the key individual who helped stave off a hostile approach from a Tory who tried to kill Hibernian FC.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

GGTTH

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 09:54 AM
I'm sure they would. But we shouldn't let that particular set of nutters dictate what we do and don't do.

I agree that keeping a low profile is the right thing for him to do. He could never be accused of self-glorification though and we shouldn't be bullied into not recognising the contribution of a very special man and family to our club - we wouldn't have had the rough or the smooth of following Hibs over the past 25 years without him.

Given that he has no interest in football or the day to day running of the club, it's the only thing to do (low profile).

Whilst I'm sure STF is a man who is committed to his beliefs and demonstrates that in his private life, the idea of a stand name after him....come on.

He has presided over 25 years of very mixed fortunes. Mostly pish, with the odd season or two of promise. Seven cup finals, two wins, two relegations, the building of a stadium and training complex, the sale of the best talent pool at the club since Turnbull (still can't understand the timing of the sale of O'Connor). A mixed bag really.

FWIW. There were other people interested in buying Hibs. Who knows how it would have gone if other parties had becom the preferred bidder. But let's not get too carried away with eulogising the guy. Maybe I would have conceded the naming of the stand if he had gifted the club to the fans trust etc.

Ps: not too interested in a debate about it. The truth is that we will never know what the alternative scenario would have ledto, however, I reserve the right not to buy in to the full love in.

Geo_1875
09-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Aye a greater achievement than being the key individual who helped stave off a hostile approach from a Tory who tried to kill Hibernian FC.

GGTTH

Not a smoker then?

bighairyfaeleith
09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Not a smoker then?

:greengrin

Smartie
09-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Given that he has no interest in football or the day to day running of the club, it's the only thing to do (low profile).

Whilst I'm sure STF is a man who is committed to his beliefs and demonstrates that in his private life, the idea of a stand name after him....come on.

He has presided over 25 years of very mixed fortunes. Mostly pish, with the odd season or two of promise. Seven cup finals, two wins, two relegations, the building of a stadium and training complex, the sale of the best talent pool at the club since Turnbull (still can't understand the timing of the sale of O'Connor). A mixed bag really.

FWIW. There were other people interested in buying Hibs. Who knows how it would have gone if other parties had becom the preferred bidder. But let's not get too carried away with eulogising the guy. Maybe I would have conceded the naming of the stand if he had gifted the club to the fans trust etc.

Ps: not too interested in a debate about it. The truth is that we will never know what the alternative scenario would have ledto, however, I reserve the right not to buy in to the full love in.

The mediocrity that you describe is unfortunately pretty much what we can expect from Hibs. The odd cup win, a few finals, the odd European adventure, mostly pish though and even the odd relegation thrown in.

I think it is mental to suggest that no credit should be given for some of the achievements Hibs have made under Farmer. The stadium and training ground ARE something to be proud of and should bear fruit now we have a management team who know what to do with them. Remember ER in 1990? Remember what the Taylor Report was forcing us to have to do?

Mistakes have been made. Many of them, especially on the football side and we should be in a far better position than we are. But at least we're not getting teased about whether or not we are the same club, at least we've not stiffed the Lithuanian taxpayer for tens of millions. At least we didn't move to Straiton. The business side of the club IS important and it has been well looked after.

It would have been nice if Farmer had just given us everything. But I'd say he taught us to be self-sufficient which is in many ways better. The Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Motherwell have all had financial fun-times during that time. Dundee United have also been relegated. Aberdeen have been mince for much of the past 25 years.

I accept that you don't (and many more probably don't either) go for the whole love-in. But there are a lot of us who will forever be eternally grateful that he stood up when we needed someone to. And FWIW I prefer the idea of the "Farmer Stand" with a nod to his (?) great uncle who saved us a century earlier too.

If I'm ever in the position that a doctor has saved my life I would like to think I could thank him, rather than pragmatically point out that if he hadn't been there then someone else would probably have come along and done it anyway.

Fergos
09-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Not a smoker then?

Oh aye... I love smoking....it's cool, grown up, attractive to potential suitors, makes you smell nice & is good for your health....smartest move I've ever done. Well smart, like total smart. Smart.

GGTTH

zitelli62
09-02-2015, 10:30 AM
since sir tom bought us just look at a lot of other teams all over Britain and see how many have changed hands and apart from one or two how many have been successful not a lot yes he may have made mistakes over the years but who hasn't, im just delighted he did not wake up one day and think to himself ive made a mistake buying hibs and look at the abuse im taking from time to time but thankfully he didn't, i for one am delighted he has stayed the course and we are in a much better position now than where we were when sir tom bought us and he has put stuff in place to make sure we are never in that position again, i think naming a stand is the least we should do considering no one knows where we would be now if it wasn't for sir tom. :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

AltheHibby
09-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Now would be a good time.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 10:42 AM
The mediocrity that you describe is unfortunately pretty much what we can expect from Hibs. The odd cup win, a few finals, the odd European adventure, mostly pish though and even the odd relegation thrown in.

I think it is mental to suggest that no credit should be given for some of the achievements Hibs have made under Farmer. The stadium and training ground ARE something to be proud of and should bear fruit now we have a management team who know what to do with them. Remember ER in 1990? Remember what the Taylor Report was forcing us to have to do?

Mistakes have been made. Many of them, especially on the football side and we should be in a far better position than we are. But at least we're not getting teased about whether or not we are the same club, at least we've not stiffed the Lithuanian taxpayer for tens of millions. At least we didn't move to Straiton. The business side of the club IS important and it has been well looked after.

It would have been nice if Farmer had just given us everything. But I'd say he taught us to be self-sufficient which is in many ways better. The Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Motherwell have all had financial fun-times during that time. Dundee United have also been relegated. Aberdeen have been mince for much of the past 25 years.

I accept that you don't (and many more probably don't either) go for the whole love-in. But there are a lot of us who will forever be eternally grateful that he stood up when we needed someone to. And FWIW I prefer the idea of the "Farmer Stand" with a nod to his (?) great uncle who save us a century earlier too.

If I'm ever in the position that a doctor has saved my life I would like to think I could thank him, rather than pragmatically point out that if he hadn't been there then someone else would probably have come along and done it anyway.

We only managed two relegations in the previous 115 years of pre-Farmer Hibernian.

The business side is a mixed bag. We've racked up massive debt at times, the post McLeish fortunes were only saved by the rather freak rise of the young team and the big money sales that followed, and of course the 10million from the car park ( all of which should have gone to the football club in my view). I do however accept that we have the infrastructure in place which should allow us to build and create a brighter future.

. I just can't rid myself of the discontent over the past seven or eight years. We have been poorly run and Petrie should have been removed long ago. STF has been founding wanting in that respect. As I say, a very mixed bag over 25 years. Yes, it could have been worse, but it could also have been so much better.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2015, 11:02 AM

:thumbsup:

worcesterhibby
09-02-2015, 11:15 AM
We only managed two relegations in the previous 115 years of pre-Farmer Hibernian.

The business side is a mixed bag. We've racked up massive debt at times, the post McLeish fortunes were only saved by the rather freak rise of the young team and the big money sales that followed, and of course the 10million from the car park ( all of which should have gone to the football club in my view). I do however accept that we have the infrastructure in place which should allow us to build and create a brighter future.

. I just can't rid myself of the discontent over the past seven or eight years. We have been poorly run and Petrie should have been removed long ago. STF has been founding wanting in that respect. As I say, a very mixed bag over 25 years. Yes, it could have been worse, but it could also have been so much better.

The key to what I was saying in the letter and where I am at Odds with Simon Pia and his mob is that I believe Tom Farmer has always had the best interests of Hibs at heart. I accept ( and I would be willing to bet that Mr Farmer would accept) that he has made mistakes, of course he has…my main issue is that certain individuals want to paint him as a rip off merchant and scam artist which IMHO is total crap.

Forza Fred
09-02-2015, 11:36 AM
A couple of years ago I wrote to Sir Tom suggesting the chairman should perhaps increase expenditure on the footballing side, and not worry so much about parading how .financially astute we were, as the punters like me wanted to see success on the field more than just infrastructure.

I received a phone call at home when I was at work from him,and after speaking to my wife he said he would ring me in the evening when I was home.

He did and we had a long conversation,.

Needless to say we did not necessarily agree on all points of discussion, but I thought it was a positive that he took the time to ring me when he could so easily have ignored my letter.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 11:39 AM
The key to what I was saying in the letter and where I am at Odds with Simon Pia and his mob is that I believe Tom Farmer has always had the best interests of Hibs at heart. I accept ( and I would be willing to bet that Mr Farmer would accept) that he has made mistakes, of course he has…my main issue is that certain individuals want to paint him as a rip off merchant and scam artist which IMHO is total crap.

Sure, the rip off allegations are scurrilous and demeaning to those that make them, unless they have evidence then they should leave it well alone.

Threads tend to gather a life of their own. I'm really taking issue with those that would want to take it a bit far in respect of naming stands etc. If they were advocating a Stanton stand, that would be another matter.

Smartie
09-02-2015, 11:54 AM
You've made many fair points to back up your standpoint. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion and it would be madness to suggest that it has all been a bed of roses under Farmer - it has not, many mistakes have been made and nothing has been worse than the omnishambles of the last 7 or 8 years.

I also agree that a Stanton stand would be very worthy. Stanton is, Imo the finest Hibby of all time and deserves similar recognition.

Different people contribute different things to football clubs though. Our "famous five" stand properly acknowledges the contribution of our finest ever forward line. I think we have a fairly unique piece of history with the Farmer family and that it should be acknowledged.

This thread, the cup wins, the derby wins all the good times and all the bad times simply may not have happened had he not stepped up when he did. I think we owe him a debt of gratitude and that it would be deserved if he had a stand named after him.

I could make a case for saying we owe our existence to him (you obviously disagree). And I think that is quite significant, particularly in times when people get given the "legend" title fairly easily for picking up a very handsome amount of money just to play football well for a team for a couple of years.

Bad Martini
09-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Im sure some learned indvidual with a lot of inside knowledge on the inner workings of Hibernian FC will pitch up and tell me I am wrong with this, others WERE ready, willing (and able) (AND accepted by the Bank as ready, willing, able and suitable) to save Hibs back in the day. I seen a queue of them lining up with proposals all the way down Albion Road, cheque books in hand and with money to burn on Hibs, buying us forwards, wins and glory.

Ah wait.

That's NOT what history recorded is it?

Another conspriacy from back in the day, with a good bit of myth, urban myth and utterly stone radge bollocks chucked in for good measure :rolleyes:

The bottom line is, Tom Farmer was pretty much the only show in town when mercer tried to kill Hibs. From so many angles and perspectives we were in a win/win with STF. We have been ever since. Whilst nobody does know (for definite) save for a very small number of people what our "options" were, I think we've done no bad out the deal.

Life is funny; we bleat and moan about lots of ****. I like to start from the worst possible scenario; naebody died on that day...and work back. We aren't in too bad a position given the assets we have now and what we've retained over Farmers' tenure. Who really (Genuinely?) believes A.N. Other would have bought or brought any more success? We have never BEEN A hugely successful club for a prolonged period of time, save for the dominance of the Famous Five era and to a lesser extent, the joys of the Tornadoes. All of which was not against a backdrop where the infirm owned everything unevenly and the bams over the road had open cheque book city.....

We're still here, we're still going, we're no crooks and we're no being done by the tax man or anyone else.

For that, and a whole lot more, in MY (just MY) considered opinion, we owe STF a huge debt of gratitude. For a man who doesn't like football, he's gone more than out his way to help us out when he didn't have to and where (lets no be silly, he's got over £200m in the bank) there is nothing "In it" for him financially.

MON THE FARMER. :thumbsup::aok::aok:

Owain_1987
09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
You can all think what you want but Tom Farmer has made a lot more from Hibs than we've made from him. The man does not even like football and it's embarssing the love in for him.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
You can all think what you want but Tom Farmer has made a lot more from Hibs than we've made from him. The man does not even like football and it's embarssing the love in for him.

Gaun no dae that.

BSEJVT
09-02-2015, 02:30 PM

I see another one of our villages is missing its idiot.

Fergos
09-02-2015, 02:35 PM

Everyones entitled to their own opinion, I have 2 questions for you however.

What plans did / would you have came up with when the Tory launched his hostile bid to destroy Hibernian FC, other than what actually happened via STF?

And...can you please justify and provide facts on how STF has made more from Hibs than Hibs have gained from his tenure?

GGTTH

Geo_1875
09-02-2015, 02:45 PM
I see another one of our villages is missing its idiot.

Cardiff is a pretty big village for one man to do that job but he's obviously well qualified and willing to work overtime.

Seveno
09-02-2015, 06:04 PM
This thread started about Sir Tom Farmer being a gentleman and not about his stewardship of Hibs. I have known him for for 30 years having dealt with him on business. I always found him to a gentleman, loyal and kind. He has done an enormous amount for a wide range of charities and never sought public recognition for it.

One Day Soon
09-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Evidence? There's something embarrassing on this thread certainly but it isn't the respect for Sir Tom.

I'll tell you what, if STF has made money from Hibs he must be some kind of spectacular genius that even George Soros bows down to because I cannot think of ANYONE else who has made money in Scottish football at any club, with the possible exception of Fergus McCann and I think even he may only have broken even.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-02-2015, 07:05 PM

Kano!! What's happening pal?

emerald green
09-02-2015, 07:15 PM

What are you basing that nonsense on? How much more has STF made exactly? No doubt you will be able to give a detailed breakdown of these figures, and how you gained access to that information? :rolleyes:

DarlingtonHibee
11-02-2015, 09:28 AM

We will all think what we want about STF, the vast majority agreeing he is a safe pair of hands, and even more remarkable that he got involved due to his lack of football background - if you watch the programme (think its called the team that wouldn't die episode 2) he explains why he got involved.

Also if you really do live in Cardiff, why dont you ask their fans about football owners ?

I'd alo be careful about posting stuff that you can't back up - HOH hasn't shut up for nothing - in my view the gloves are off from the Hibs owner

Bostonhibby
11-02-2015, 09:36 AM

If you could back that up you'd have been really useful to HOH and Buyhibs, its not too late so I'd get my evidence out there while there's still time, this is a public forum with Journos and others waiting to put the boot right in so post it here.

If you knew anything about the history of why Farmer got involved when he did you might find it a bit humbling that this man with no interest in football actually got involved in saving us at all?

Fergos
11-02-2015, 09:49 AM
If you could back that up you'd have been really useful to HOH and Buyhibs, its not too late so I'd get my evidence out there while there's still time, this is a public forum with Journos and others waiting to put the boot right in so post it here.

If you knew anything about the history of why Farmer got involved when he did you might find it a bit humbling that this man with no interest in football actually got involved in saving us at all?

Asked him about his evidence already pal, and suffice to say no reply to.....missing in action....pity, would have loved to see him back up and justify his original post....

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
11-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Asked him about his evidence already pal, and suffice to say no reply to.....missing in action....pity, would have loved to see him back up and justify his original post....

GGTTH

Be along in a minute, sure its just a case of getting the evidence together and presenting it in the right way :tumble:

worcesterhibby
11-02-2015, 11:48 AM

Quite literally you can't even spell embarrassing. Now that's embarrassing. Go evict a woodlouse and crawl back under a stone.

Kaiser1962
11-02-2015, 04:47 PM

If there was any truth in this statement then ER could be filled with people wanting to buy the club, and outbidding each other to do so, in the certain knowledge that any outlay would be returned and then some. If there was any chance that money could be made prospective owners would be falling over themselves.

Bostonhibby
11-02-2015, 05:45 PM

How's the response coming along? Chance to inform / influence a lot of fellow Hibbies here.:aok:

7Hero
11-02-2015, 06:05 PM

couldnt agree more..

O'Rourke3
11-02-2015, 07:23 PM

However 1 of those 2 was from an 18 team league. The others were from a smaller pot and so increasing the probability of such an event happening. Hearts have managed all 3 relegations from the smaller pool. While this doesn't prove anything it's as irrelevant to the thread.

Roxyhibee
11-02-2015, 08:08 PM
My neighbour and mate died suddenly around 17 years ago. A truly fantastic guy who is still sadly missed. He worked alongside Tom Farmer many years before in the early days of his business and got to know him in those days. My mate liked him and that was good enough for me. They stayed in touch now and then - xmas cards, etc.

On hearing the terrible news, STF flew back from a business trip he was on and delivered one of the eulogies at the funeral. It was personal, compassionate, emotional, sad, funny and uplifting. There was a round of applause after his and it was a great help to my mates wife who didn't think he would be able to even make the service.

A genuine man and yes a gentleman.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Couldn't really give a toss what a great guy 'sir tom' is, what I care about is his record as club owner, yet there are people fawning over him, wanting stands named after him etc, just a few months after the latest relegation :confused:

poolman
11-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Couldn't really give a toss what a great guy 'sir tom' is, what I care about is his record as club owner, yet there are people fawning over him, wanting stands named after him etc, just a few months after the latest relegation :confused:

Aye,OK then

Pedantic_Hibee
11-02-2015, 10:50 PM

Username. The end.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Username. The end.

Aye,OK then

Carry on knowing your place.

Mikey
11-02-2015, 11:10 PM

Did you see post 88 on this thread......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?298418-HSA-backs-share-issue&p=4300509#post4300509

:wink:

Fergos
12-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Did you see post 88 on this thread......

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?298418-HSA-backs-share-issue&p=4300509#post4300509

:wink:

At least he's.....errr.....consistent....

GGTTH

Pedantic_Hibee
12-02-2015, 06:44 AM

I'm in a happy place. Even tin foil excites me.

lord bunberry
12-02-2015, 08:44 AM
What we should do to show our appreciation for what Sir Tom has done is get a large portakabin and nail it on to the front of the west stand. Garnish it with some cheap seats and a calor gas heater and hey presto we've got the Sir Tom Farmer Suite. It's how all big teams commemorate club legends

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
I'd alo be careful about posting stuff that you can't back up - HOH hasn't shut up for nothing - in my view the gloves are off from the Hibs owner[/QUOTE]

Behave. Whilst the guy you refer to is clearly an empty vessel, I don'tcthink STF is interested in legal action against trumpets on fans forums. When they have the ear of papers maybe. I actually find thst level of compliance more sinister than the rubbish that inspired it.

hibs0666
12-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Did Farmer miss a penalty? Did he pick the team?

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Did Farmer miss a penalty? Did he pick the team?

No he just has a never ending piece of string connected to a conduit that presided over our demise. It was coming for the previous four-five years. Wrong appointments, following wrong appointments. Must be someones fault? Maybe the fans?

Bad Martini
12-02-2015, 12:14 PM
**** me.

It never ends.

Words actually fail me this time.

:rolleyes:

WeeRussell
12-02-2015, 12:24 PM
No he just has a never ending piece of string connected to a conduit that presided over our demise. It was coming for the previous four-five years. Wrong appointments, following wrong appointments. Must be someones fault? Maybe the fans?

Utterly clueless.

Smartie
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM

I suppose there would probably not have been any danger of relegation for the "merged" side that Mercer had proposed.

Pretty Boy
12-02-2015, 01:42 PM
**** me.

It never ends.

Words actually fail me this time.

:rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for the car park money to be mentioned. Surely only a matter of time.

Pia tried it at the AGM.

Phil D. Rolls
12-02-2015, 01:45 PM
My take on it is that Tom Farmer got involved with Hibs because it was a mutually beneficial arrangement. Compared to what came before him and what we have seen elsewhere since, he is head and shoulders above the rest.

People forget, or maybe don't realise, that when he came to the rescue we were very close to going out of business. Fans were desperate for somebody to save the club. They also have forgotten that he personally paid for Murdo MacLeod's transfer from Dortmund.

I have only heard good things about his character. Yes he is a hard nosed businessman, but one with a social conscience.

I knew somebody, a protestant, that used to take her friend on Tom's pilgrimages to Lourdes. Not only was he friendly towards her, but he would speak to her if their paths ever crossed at home. He seems to have a genuine concern for others.

I find it upsetting that people criticise him now for the fact that the club isn't in the place it should be. If you look at our history, we are in as good shape as we have ever been. Relegation was horrible, but I'm sure there were times in the past when the club would have been below 12th in the league - if the SPL was in existence we'd have been relegated at the time.

I think the way some are treating them now backs up Liam Gallacher's stance when he was asked to invest in Man. City - "what, and have scallies breaking my windows when things go wrong?"

I would argue that it is Farmer's hands off approach that has saved this club from the likes of a Romanov. Once businessmen start thinking they are football people they make reckless decisions to please the fans. I think being able to approach the club with a detached attitude has been beneficial for everybody.

By all means people can say that they aren't happy with where we are, but to start rubbishing the man's character is beyond the pail. It's the height of ingratitude for what happened in 90/91.

worcesterhibby
12-02-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm just waiting for the car park money to be mentioned. Surely only a matter of time.

Pia tried it at the AGM.

and all I was saying was that I thought it was classy that he wrote back to me personally within a couple of days !

Caversham Green
12-02-2015, 02:06 PM

OK, let's look at his record as club owner:

How many (serious) trophies did the club win in the 25 years before he took over? How many has it won in the 25 years since?

What was the stadium like before he took over? What's it like now?

What was the training centre like before he took over? What's it like now?

How did the club's future look before he took over? How does it look now?

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Utterly clueless.

Fascinating standard of insight there.

Is it ok not to like parts of how the club has been run over the past few years? I am all for discussion. That's why this is called a forum. . Try reading the previous posts for context.

If we raise enough cash can Petries 10% be the first to be bought out. He is the most divisive figure at the club and needs gone.

WeeRussell
12-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Is it ok not to like parts of how the club has been run over the past few years? I am all for discussion. That's why this is called a forum. . Try reading the previous posts for context.

If we raise enough cash can Petries 10% be the first to be bought out. He is the most divisive figure at the club and needs gone.

Supposing I hadn't read any other posts on this thread. How many different contexts can your blaming Sir Tom Farmer for multiple "wrong appointments" and Hibs poor form over recent years fall between?

worcesterhibby
12-02-2015, 04:25 PM

How many (serious) trophies did the club win in the 25 years before he took over? How many has it won in the 25 years since?

Allow me to help…
25 years before = one major trophy
25 years after = 2 major trophies

Training ground Before
http://www.thebb-edinburgh.org.uk/media/1018/lethempark1small.jpg

The Training ground after

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/Photos/hibs02.jpg

The Ground before
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFgx2nYCUAAxJ0b.jpg:large

The Ground after

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140101163144/the-football-database/images/5/5a/Easter_Road.jpg

TrinityHibs
12-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Its a bit like What did the Romans do for us?

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2015, 04:39 PM

I accept that you don't (and many more probably don't either) go for the whole love-in. But there are a lot of us who will forever be eternally grateful that he stood up when we needed someone to. And FWIW I prefer the idea of the "Farmer Stand" with a nod to his (?) great uncle who saved us a century earlier too.

If thats the case, why have we built a new ground and put together the training centre that lured Terry Butcher to the club?

If thats the case, why have we changed the whole ethos of the club with Dempster and Stubbs leading the way? I'd say thinking like yours has along with an absent owner who's never really understood what a football club really wants has us where we are today, a championship club.

Never in my life as a hibs fan have i seen our club have such an opportunity to be so much more than what you describe, but because of the way the club has been shoddily run and owned, we are nowhere near in the right position to take advantage of it.

Yes we thank STF for what he did 25 years ago, but sheesh lets put in into perspective with what's followed. 2 relegations as well as year after year of dross eye bleeding stuff and yes the odd good period.

Our club if run anywhere near right should NEVER be in this division, thank god we appear to at last have the right team behind the scenes that should take us back where we belong.

Smartie
12-02-2015, 04:55 PM
If thats the case, why have we built a new ground and put together the training centre that lured Terry Butcher to the club?

If thats the case, why have we changed the whole ethos of the club with Dempster and Stubbs leading the way? I'd say thinking like yours has along with an absent owner who's never really understood what a football club really wants has us where we are today, a championship club.

Never in my life as a hibs fan have i seen our club have such an opportunity to be so much more than what you describe, but because of the way the club has been shoddily run and owned, we are nowhere near in the right position to take advantage of it.

Yes we thank STF for what he did 25 years ago, but sheesh lets put in into perspective with what's followed. 2 relegations as well as year after year of dross eye bleeding stuff and yes the odd good period.

Our club if run anywhere near right should NEVER be in this division, thank god we appear to at last have the right team behind the scenes that should take us back where we belong.

All fair points to be honest.

Following every club will (relatively speaking) have it's peaks and troughs - we are hopefully now emerging from one of those troughs. I can't really defend the absolute shambles over the last 7 or so years, and they have been a shambles. I don't really think that these should be a stick used to beat this man with too much though.

I will forever be grateful for him stepping in when he did. The chance to experience those peaks and troughs could have been taken away from us if he hadn't stepped in when he did. He's not a fan, he didn't have to but he did and we should acknowledge that.

The fact that he SHOULD come in for criticism for what has happened over the past 7 years or so is testament to how well he did to that point (or rather than him personally the running of the club under his overall supervision). Ok we sold the old car park and a lot of good players but think about the old ground, no training ground, the cost of redeveloping these, the threat of moving our spiritual home and ultimately the threat of being a small part of HoMFC. These are all threats that have been batted off under his stewardship.

Mistakes have been made, no doubt. But we must acknowledge the good he has done. Eddie Turnbull (amongst many others) made many mistakes at Hibs but is rightly revered for the greater positive contribution he made to our club.

Farmer's positive contribution has been infinitely greater than any negative contribution. I accept many will disagree but I personally think that this should be acknowledged in a significant way.

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2015, 05:47 PM

I know it's been said many times before, but Rod doesn't have 10% of the club.

If the 51% is achieved, he will own 10% of a company that owns 49% of the club. It still won't be in our power to buy those shares.

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 06:18 PM

If the 51% is achieved, he will own 10% of a company that owns 49% of the club. It still won't be in our power to buy those shares.

That is an obstacle that needs overcome. In the interests of unity Petrie should

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 06:20 PM

That is an obstacle that needs overcome. In the interests of unity Petrie should go. I appreciate he likes his place at the SFA trough but he must consider what is best for HFC.

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2015, 06:27 PM
That is an obstacle that needs overcome. In the interests of unity Petrie should go. I appreciate he likes his place at the SFA trough but he must consider what is best for HFC.
You are mixing up his shareholding in the Holding Company with his seat on the Board.

We can do very little about the former. With a 51% holding, though, we can have who we want on and off the Board.

Indeed, even without achieving the 51%, the chances are that there will soon be 4 fans on the Board. That, in itself, has the potential for removing RP.

superfurryhibby
12-02-2015, 06:44 PM
You are mixing up his shareholding in the Holding Company with his seat on the Board.

We can do very little about the former. With a 51% holding, though, we can have who we want on and off the Board.

Indeed, even without achieving the 51%, the chances are that there will soon be 4 fans on the Board. That, in itself, has the potential for removing RP.

Cheers CWG.Always appreciate your insight.

Bad Martini
13-02-2015, 01:01 PM

Pia tried it at the AGM.

Yep. Spot on.

Closely followed by someone suggesting he should write off a few million and gift the club away as he's done **** all anyway (even though the rather excellent post a few above by the FilledRolls fella is absolutely spot on and sums up rather well what he HAS done.

The truth is, we ALL (or most of us) want what's best for the club.

Some folk canny accept that Farmer isnt just going to hand over more of his hard earned for **** all and neither he SHOULD. He never said he would. He never promised Brazillian World Cup stars, the Champions League or even ANY footballing success. All he ever said was, he would ensure we would eventually be self sufficient and wouldn't allow us to ever be in the position where another mercer could do another mercer. Be fair. The man has done that....and more.

Does that mean ANY of us are delighted about where we are? No. Look around. You canny blame Farmer for it all. Look at the rest of Scottish fitba? Look how many clubs have gone bust/into administration. We didnt. Thats why we got relegated in part. Being financially prudent. That, and some stupid gob***** managers who (if I am 100% honest) most of us expected to do better.....the reign of terrible Terrence finished us off though it started with that twat Calderwood and never really recovered.

YES, I find petrie's manner and personality and his words offensive mostly. In public and havng met him. I dont like the man. YES, I find lots of the decisions the club and the board have made to be wrong. BUT, I think we'd have been ****ed far worse without STF behind us. In fact, I almost know we'd have gone to the wall, as far as any of us can without being privvy to the conversations that most of us werent back in the day, with banks and boards. However, from all accounts, the banks werent interested in the other saviours back in the day. We've done not too badly and our lot has been relegation - we've survived. Its not fun. Its not plesant. However, Im looking at the positives - we've slapped the huns twice and enjoyed doing so and we can do so again and notwithstanding the start of the season, we've improved somewhat and look a far better and stronger side.

No way am I happy we're here. However, we are going the right way now.

What to do? Bleat on and become consumed with rage over the last 7 years or so? Could do but it will change **** all and it wont help the cause. We're looking to be on the up right now, things are going the right way and whilst we are where we are (a phrase I wholly hate), we wont be where we are for too much longer and should come out this Godforsaken mess stronger for it.

As for STF, I very much doubt he's sitting in his house givnig a toss about a car park, a few grand from Easter Road or anything else the x-files brigade believe he's in some way cooking up to extort from Hibs...you canny get blood from a stone and he doesn't need it anyway. He never did. He's GIVEN AWAY more money to charities than people claim he's trying to extort.....

However, as is the way with us sceptical folks....never let the facts get in the way of a good witch hunt. :aok:

Smartie
13-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Yep. Spot on.

Closely followed by someone suggesting he should write off a few million and gift the club away as he's done **** all anyway (even though the rather excellent post a few above by the FilledRolls fella is absolutely spot on and sums up rather well what he HAS done.

Some folk canny accept that Farmer isnt just going to hand over more of his hard earned for **** all and neither he SHOULD. He never said he would. He never promised Brazillian World Cup stars, the Champions League or even ANY footballing success. All he ever said was, he would ensure we would eventually be self sufficient and wouldn't allow us to ever be in the position where another mercer could do another mercer. Be fair. The man has done that....and more.

Does that mean ANY of us are delighted about where we are? No. Look around. You canny blame Farmer for it all. Look at the rest of Scottish fitba? Look how many clubs have gone bust/into administration. We didnt. Thats why we got relegated in part. Being financially prudent. That, and some stupid gob***** managers who (if I am 100% honest) most of us expected to do better.....the reign of terrible Terrence finished us off though it started with that twat Calderwood and never really recovered.

YES, I find petrie's manner and personality and his words offensive mostly. In public and havng met him. I dont like the man. YES, I find lots of the decisions the club and the board have made to be wrong. BUT, I think we'd have been ****ed far worse without STF behind us. In fact, I almost know we'd have gone to the wall, as far as any of us can without being privvy to the conversations that most of us werent back in the day, with banks and boards. However, from all accounts, the banks werent interested in the other saviours back in the day. We've done not too badly and our lot has been relegation - we've survived. Its not fun. Its not plesant. However, Im looking at the positives - we've slapped the huns twice and enjoyed doing so and we can do so again and notwithstanding the start of the season, we've improved somewhat and look a far better and stronger side.

What to do? Bleat on and become consumed with rage over the last 7 years or so? Could do but it will change **** all and it wont help the cause. We're looking to be on the up right now, things are going the right way and whilst we are where we are (a phrase I wholly hate), we wont be where we are for too much longer and should come out this Godforsaken mess stronger for it.

As for STF, I very much doubt he's sitting in his house givnig a toss about a car park, a few grand from Easter Road or anything else the x-files brigade believe he's in some way cooking up to extort from Hibs...you canny get blood from a stone and he doesn't need it anyway. He never did. He's GIVEN AWAY more money to charities than people claim he's trying to extort.....

However, as is the way with us sceptical folks....never let the facts get in the way of a good witch hunt. :aok:

This is quite possibly the best post ever written on the subject.

Phil MaGlass
13-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Yep. Spot on.

sticks in my throat, tae think folk actually believe he is ripping us off. Without him there really wouldnt have been a Hibs.

God Petrie
13-02-2015, 01:33 PM
A bunch of jakes trying to get the club on the cheap and insulting the owner with childish digs is more disrespectful to the club than anything Tom Farmer would even dream of doing to Hibs, even as a man with no interest in football.

superfurryhibby
13-02-2015, 02:00 PM
A bunch of jakes trying to get the club on the cheap and insulting the owner with childish digs is more disrespectful to the club than anything Tom Farmer would even dream of doing to Hibs, even as a man with no interest in football.

Can you tell me where on this thread, aside from one trolling post by a fud that was disdained by all, where anyone has supported HoH? . We know they are wrong. That doesn't mean we all have to join in. STF love in. There are areas open for discussion. Especially aroubd the affront that is Petries continuing presence.

AndyM_1875
13-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Can you tell me where on this thread, aside from one trolling post by a fud that was disdained by all, where anyone has supported HoH? . We know they are wrong. That doesn't mean we all have to join in. STF love in. There are areas open for discussion. Especially aroubd the affront that is Petries continuing presence.

I back Sir Tom and the continuing stewardship of the Farmer Family in Hibs. He is an absolute gentleman, that goes without saying.

I thought Rod should have resigned when we were relegated after Hamilton like Lex Gold did in 1998. However he didn't for reasons linked strongly to the debt write off negotiations with the bank and we need to accept that and move on. Rod may yet have his uses as Chairman. If he can deal with all the SFA committee stuff for the club then that's one thing he can do whilst letting Leeann get on with running and restructuring the club.