PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson - different player

DownInAlbion
07-02-2015, 09:02 PM
As it says on the tin, New man under stubbs. He has being doing my head In for the last couple of seasons but I have to say he's probably most improved player this year and if he can work on beating a man and putting more power on his crosses he will be a top spl wing back. Well done wee man

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Agree, he's first on the team sheet for me, does ok defensively but going forward he is a complete revelation

Northernhibee
07-02-2015, 09:45 PM
I don't think he is that much of a different player - he has steadily improved for quite some time now and I think people are just beginning to appreciate how much his attitude and application offers Hibs.

I've said before he's my favourite player since Sauzee as he totally gets what our club is about, represents Hibs entirely, doesn't get involved in George St antics or holds out for more money, never complains but just gets on with the job. In the Cowdenbeath game I heard him shout "**** off!" at a decision and unusually I was shocked and slightly disappointed in him - says a lot for his character that :greengrin

matty_f
07-02-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't think he is that much of a different player - he has steadily improved for quite some time now and I think people are just beginning to appreciate how much his attitude and application offers Hibs.

I've said before he's my favourite player since Sauzee as he totally gets what our club is about, represents Hibs entirely, doesn't get involved in George St antics or holds out for more money, never complains but just gets on with the job. In the Cowdenbeath game I heard him shout "**** off!" at a decision and unusually I was shocked and slightly disappointed in him - says a lot for his character that :greengrin

Totally agree.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Whatever the opinions are on wee Lewis, the facts are that he is a fixed point in our recent history, and an era defining player who can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of Mowbray's squad.

Sergey
07-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Whatever the opinions are on wee Lewis, the facts are that he is a fixed point in our recent history, and an era defining player who can stand shoulder to shoulder with any of Mowbray's squad.

Indeed.

His continual probing passing into dangerous areas; his week-in, week-out pin-point crossing; his goals to games ratio; his ability to marshal the defence during difficult times; his continual faultless displays makes him my player of the decade.

I honestly don't see how anyone can doubt the players ability.

Hiber-nation
07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Indeed.

His continual probing passing into dangerous areas; his week-in, week-out pin-point crossing; his goals to games ratio; his ability to marshal the defence during difficult times; his continual faultless displays makes him my player of the decade.

You really are boring!

Jonnyboy
07-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Indeed.

You been on the sauce again G?

Thecat23
07-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Lewis has always been solid. Was the utter ***** around him I'd say were utter dross. Glad we have players and a system that shows how well Lewis can play.

But hey what do I know!!!

Sergey
07-02-2015, 10:43 PM
You been on the sauce again G?

Nope - 99% sober.

I just don't buy the love-in, J.

We've had the discussion before and we've agreed to differ. I'll even accept an infraction for trolling!

Giving 100% and being committed to the cause does not make one a good player.

YMMV.

Northernhibee
07-02-2015, 10:45 PM
When it comes to recent managers, when we played under Yogi we appreciated his application and play. We thought he was hugely improved under Calderclown. He was voted player of the season under Fenlon. He was one of the very few positive things during the Butchers regime. He's one of the first names on the teamsheet under Stubbs.

He's a real, real asset to our club.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Indeed.

ok.

Thecat23
07-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Nope - 99% sober.

We've had the discussion before and we've agreed to differ. I'll even accept an infraction for trolling!

YMMV.

Forget this 100% stuf G. He's got bags of ability. Wins tackles, gets up and down the flanks, CAN cross a ball and also breaks up a lot of attacks.

How anyone can't see this baffles me.

Thecat23
07-02-2015, 10:50 PM
When it comes to recent managers, when we played under Yogi we appreciated his application and play. We thought he was hugely improved under Calderclown. He was voted player of the season under Fenlon. He was one of the very few positive things during the Butchers regime. He's one of the first names on the teamsheet under Stubbs.

He's a real, real asset to our club.

Great post! Couldn't agree more.

Sergey
07-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Forget this 100% stuf G. He's got bags of ability. Wins tackles, gets up and down the flanks, CAN cross a ball and also breaks up a lot of attacks.

How anyone can't see this baffles me.

If he was that good/talented, why is he still with us?

If he had ability above a rank-rotton Hibs side over the last 10 seasons he would have been sold. The fact that he's still playing for us indicates that no offers have ever been forthcoming. Why? Petrie and the board would have sold him if any sort of cash offer was tabled.

What's his value on the transfer market? Serious question.

I honestly doubt he'd command a fee.

Northernhibee
07-02-2015, 11:01 PM

If he had ability above a rank-rotton Hibs side over the last 10 seasons he would have been sold. The fact that he's still playing for us indicates that no offers have ever been forthcoming. Why? Petrie and the board would have sold him if any sort of cash offer was tabled.

If he was as rotten as you seem to suggest would every single manager he's worked under have kept a hold of him? Of course not.

He's a very good pro who gets Hibs and represents us well.

Thecat23
07-02-2015, 11:04 PM

Stevenson has had interest from St Johnstone couple seasons back and Hibs said no he's not for sale! I've no idea what his value is as I couldn't value any player in that side if I'm honest. As it's just guesswork.

To judge a player on who comes in for him is very harsh IMO. When we won the league cup many teams inquired about Lewis and were told then he won't be leaving.

Kaff
08-02-2015, 12:03 AM

Stick to your non league sh*te, you've got some people that respect your opinion on that

J-C
08-02-2015, 12:13 AM
under Collins, Stevenson was played a left midfielder and did so well he won a League cup MOM, since then he's been shunted to LB/RB/LM/CM he has been unable to get consistency in his game until now whem AS has played him as a WB, pretty much a LM role he did in the past and guess what Sergey, he's actually no too bad at it. :na na:

hfc rd
08-02-2015, 12:18 AM
One of our most consistent players this season. Just shows you what a decent management team and playing squad does. Stevenson certainly hasn't looked out of place and has made that LWB role his own.

TRC
08-02-2015, 12:25 AM
He's hibs version of gary neville, never a world beater but he does what is asked of him.

The_Exile
08-02-2015, 12:38 AM
There was a passage of play today down our right hand side that would've seen the Arbroath striker through on goal, Stevenson read it whilst the other 3 green shirts stood and watched. He flew in, nicked the ball and the danger was gone. It wasn't spectacular or indeed worthy of a standing ovation but it was damned important. Wee things like that he does every week and it largely goes unnoticed.

Also, think it's unfair to say he has a weakness defensively. He doesn't. The reason a team gets in behind Stevenson is he's a fullback. Any team will get in behind any fullback, it's the nature of the position. Usually the holding midfielder will cover the fullback that is furthest forward or will drop right back into central defence to allow the centre backs to split. Obviously when one of those cogs doesn't turn then it looks bad for the fullback and there's an illusion of him being posted missing. This has happened to Stevenson criminally far too often over the past decade.

tamig
08-02-2015, 12:50 AM
There was a passage of play today down our right hand side that would've seen the Arbroath striker through on goal, Stevenson read it whilst the other 3 green shirts stood and watched. He flew in, nicked the ball and the danger was gone. It wasn't spectacular or indeed worthy of a standing ovation but it was damned important. Wee things like that he does every week and it largely goes unnoticed.
It was in front of me and was a tremendous intervention. He seemed to arrive from nowhere just as the Arbroath boy was about to pull the trigger.

Was also unlucky not to score today and played and set up the second goal.

hibsbollah
08-02-2015, 05:22 AM

You are confusing price with value, a fairly common mistake.

It never ceases to amaze me how often a post match Lewis thread pops up for a player who is generally consistent, solid, but fairly unremarkable in that he always contributes and works hard but is limited in that he rarely contributes in an attacking sense. I'm a fan, but I understand he'll never beat a man too often with a mazy dribble or score a hat trick. Which is OK.

Dr Jimmy
08-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Indeed.

After your constant predictions about the liquidation of Hearts and that you were ITK about how the could not survive. I am surprised anyone even reads your posts now. I am even more surprised you are not too embarrassed to post after building everyone up and letting us down so spectacularly.

On the subject of Lewis, a hardworking and honest player who doesn't deserve to be criticised as much as he does, especially from self proclaimed "flumps".

lucky
08-02-2015, 07:24 AM
Lewis is reliable and very much MR Hibs. Tires hard every week and very rarely performs below a 7

Brightside
08-02-2015, 07:28 AM
As it says on the tin, New man under stubbs. He has being doing my head In for the last couple of seasons but I have to say he's probably most improved player this year and if he can work on beating a man and putting more power on his crosses he will be a top spl wing back. Well done wee man

He was one of our best under butcher and pat too.

TowerHibs
08-02-2015, 07:37 AM

Each to their own but to me, nonsense opinions like this are why every support will have nutters. If you fail to see that LS contributes as much if not more than every other player week in week out.

It stinks of having a go at him for a couple of poor performances and not having the nerve to change your mind on him.

Heisenberg
08-02-2015, 07:58 AM
I think he's decent enough. Usually not the best with his final ball which can be frustrating as **** because he often gets into very good positions. I'd happily see him stay.

Winston Ingram
08-02-2015, 08:01 AM

This

B.H.F.C
08-02-2015, 08:12 AM
He's not great and he's not bad. He is what he is.

He's had a few assists this year but they all came in the space of a few weeks. For the amount of the ball he gets he should get more IMO.

He's won me over a bit this year and I think he's arguably been our most consistent player. But I'd expect him to be better because we are playing against far weaker teams than we have in the rest of his time here.

Borderhibbie76
08-02-2015, 08:47 AM

This is now a very decent Hibs side and he is a permanent fixture in it...im sure you rate Stubbs as a manager so why does our manager rate Lewis so highly then??

Iggy Pope
08-02-2015, 12:41 PM
This is now a very decent Hibs side and he is a permanent fixture in it...im sure you rate Stubbs as a manager so why does our manager rate Lewis so highly then??

I was fortunate enough to speak to two of the coaching staff in the pub last night and can reassure you that Lewis is extremely highly thought of by them.

They had never heard of Sergey.

H18S NX
08-02-2015, 12:52 PM
I was fortunate enough to speak to two of the coaching staff in the pub last night and can reassure you that Lewis is extremely highly thought of by them.

They had never heard of Sergey..............:top marks:aok:

lord bunberry
08-02-2015, 01:17 PM

Thank god he's a different player cause the old one was pish :greengrin

Jonnyboy
08-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Nope - 99% sober.

YMMV.

It's your failure to acknowledge that he gives a lot more than that though G. You base your view on snippets of him on TV and maybe radio commentaries. By your own admission you've not seen him in the flesh for some time.

Thankfully there are many more fans that recognise what we have in Lewis

Yesterday, for example, he made a couple of crucial challenges when other defenders had switched; he made several excellent interceptions; he had two strikes at goal and he passed the ball to Jason for the second goal. Pretty much all of the things you claim he is incapable of doing

Aldo
08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
A model pro on top of an excellent player. Testimonial and new contract hopefully on its way!

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 06:51 PM

They had never heard of Sergey.

:hilarious

Sergey
08-02-2015, 07:01 PM
It's your failure to acknowledge that he gives a lot more than that though G. You base your view on snippets of him on TV and maybe radio commentaries. By your own admission you've not seen him in the flesh for some time.

Thankfully there are many more fans that recognise what we have in Lewis

Yesterday, for example, he made a couple of crucial challenges when other defenders had switched; he made several excellent interceptions; he had two strikes at goal and he passed the ball to Jason for the second goal. Pretty much all of the things you claim he is incapable of doing

Fair do's, J.

I'll admit that the title of this thread is Lewis Stevenson - Different Player. That much is probably true. He probably has improved under Stubbs - I'm not going to argue that fact (if it is a fact - but it seems to be the consensus of most).

What I will say, is since John Collins left Hibs, Stevenson's career has went nowhere. He certainly isn't in the same class as Murphy or Whittaker. You could point the finger at him being poor under Yogi/Calderwood/Mixu/Butcher (admittedly, the same could be said for the vast majority of the players) etc. His career stalled. Why?

If were being honest with each other, Lewis has limited ability. He's not going to head along the M8 and sign for Celtic. He's no where near English league level, and just perhaps playing against the likes of Cowdenbeath and QoS is actually his level.

In his defence, there has not been one story of him being bevvied up the town or getting into rucks in pubs and bars (I think I read he's teetotal, which is no bad thing for an athlete). I wish the lad well and I do hope he continues to progress and maintain his professionalism.

He's just irked me for his lack of creativity for too long and I'm not his biggest fan...but you knew that :greengrin

SMAXXA
08-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Been brilliant for is this season and deserves a new deal. He was poor yesterday though worst I've seen him for a while.

Northernhibee
08-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Fair do's, J.

I'll admit that the title of this thread is Lewis Stevenson - Different Player. That much is probably true. He probably has improved under Stubbs - I'm not going to argue that fact (if it is a fact - but it seems to be the consensus of most).

What I will say, is since John Collins left Hibs, Stevenson's career has went nowhere. He certainly isn't in the same class as Murphy or Whittaker. You could point the finger at him being poor under Yogi/Calderwood/Mixu/Butcher (admittedly, the same could be said for the vast majority of the players) etc. His career stalled. Why?

If were being honest with each other, Lewis has limited ability. He's not going to head along the M8 and sign for Celtic. He's no where near English league level, and just perhaps playing against the likes of Cowdenbeath and QoS is actually his level.

In his defence, there has not been one story of him being bevvied up the town or getting into rucks in pubs and bars (I think I read he's teetotal, which is no bad thing for an athlete). I wish the lad well and I do hope he continues to progress and maintain his professionalism.

He's just irked me for his lack of creativity for too long and I'm not his biggest fan...but you knew that :greengrin

Was voted our player of the season a couple of seasons back. When we were in the premier league.

overdrive
08-02-2015, 07:25 PM
He's played a decent role under almost every manager since Mowbray with the exception of Mixu who preferred Rankin, Murphy and a host of left backs to him. Says something.

Best first touch at the Club since David Murphy.

Craig_HFC
08-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Nope - 99% sober.

YMMV.

Stick to predicting Hearts' financial future; you're better at that than this sort of thing.

:rolleyes:

California-Hibs
08-02-2015, 09:59 PM
I personally have to take a deep breath and hold my hand up and admit that I might have been off the mark regarding Stevenson.

I've been one of his harshes critics, and infact, maybe looking back I was somewhat justified in my opinions but on the other hand, he's always had good strong important attributes.

However, he IS indeed a completly different player this season, and one that I have been delighted with!

Our formation seems to suit him perfectly. He's found his settled position at left back, whereas in previous years of left midfield, centre midfield etc, it just didn't fully suit him. He looks comfortable now.

Long may these performances continue Lewis as you've began to win me over.

DownInAlbion
09-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Disagree with this he has had me not wanting to come back, having to watch him pass it backwards 200 times in a game was mind numbing

Aldo
09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Disagree with this he has had me not wanting to come back, having to watch him pass it backwards 200 times in a game was mind numbing

So what your saying is Lewis never passes the ball forward only backwards and 200 times a game??

How wrong can you be!!

So what your saying because of Lewis' mind numbing backward passing this has made you not wanting to go back?? This made me laugh out loud btw !

Dear dear!

Smartie
09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I disagree that he's a different player.

The difference is that he's playing in a decent team, playing decent football that plays to his his strengths and he's playing the same position every week.

He's been player of the year a couple of times over the past few years and he'd be in with a very good shout again if it weren't for Scott Allan.

He's performing to the same high standard he has for ages. I think he's worked on his touch (which is better) and he's added a better end product (which could still be improved a bit yet) but I wouldn't say this makes him a different player.

Sergio sledge
09-02-2015, 09:50 AM
He's got the second most assists in the team behind Scott Allan, so people can't complain about his lack of creativity this season IMHO.

A massive factor in his lack of creativity previously was the defensive style we were playing. Full backs weren't encouraged to get forward at all under Fenlon and Butcher as they played a negative style. You are not going to get many assists if you are instructed to launch it long every time you get it.

He's been one of our best players so far this season and is extremely consistent and reliable. He's well worth a new deal.

emerald green
09-02-2015, 10:16 AM
So what your saying is Lewis never passes the ball forward only backwards and 200 times a game??

How wrong can you be!!

So what your saying because of Lewis' mind numbing backward passing this has made you not wanting to go back?? This made me laugh out loud btw !

Dear dear!

:agree: Some stuff being posted on this forum over the last few days has been really suss IMHO.

Aldo
09-02-2015, 10:19 AM
:agree: Some stuff being posted on this forum over the last few days has been really suss IMHO.

Yip sure has!! :-)

green.and.white
09-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Lewis is great to have at the club.

I have seen many wingers, from the 'great' GMS, to Samaras who have come to Easter Road and have failed to consistently get the better of Lewis.

If he was the marauding, goal scoring, world class defender some seem to demand, he would be playing for Real Madrid. I look forward to attending his well earned testimonial, when it comes.

Big L
09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
A real trier, always gives 100% he has done 10 years with us and I for one think he should get a testimonial !

TrinityHibs
09-02-2015, 06:38 PM

You"ll not be missed

Jonnyboy
09-02-2015, 06:44 PM

Surprised you've not slagged him for going against your view of the trend when he passed the ball forwards to Jason for our second goal at the weekend

Edit: Just noticed you actually started this thread saying .............

Bizarre

Aldo
09-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Surprised you've not slagged him for going against your view of the trend when he passed the ball forwards to Jason for our second goal at the weekend

Well put JB. So that must of been 1 ball forward and assist for goal and the rest of his numb minding passes - all 200 of them, where back.

DownInAlbion
09-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Cheers mate but I think we need all the support for the team we can get right now, really intelegent post

Nutmegged
10-02-2015, 09:15 AM
I've always liked and rated Lewis, his problem is that he's looked like he's had the weight and expectation of Easter Road on his shoulders for the majority of his career, he was unfortunate that he came through the ranks after our golden generation, he was judged on their standards but Lewis never had anyone ekse in the same boat as him Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Riordan, Whittaker and to a lesser extent Gary Caldwell all haf each other to bounce off.

in a settled side with guys he can trust and look upto in the squad he is a different player

Expecting Rain
10-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Lewis is more of an honest player than most but average in terms of quality, his attribute is his attitude, in a very good Hibs team he would deserve a place in the squad.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Cheers mate but I think we need all the support for the team we can get right now, really intelegent post

Oops.

SaulGoodman
10-02-2015, 10:14 PM

Did you forget you started this thread? :hilarious

lyonhibs
11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

http://i.imgur.com/AV4Lrw4.gif

Remember that time you started a thread praising Lewis Stevenson's improvement (personally I think it's just come from the confidence that comes from not being surrounded by listless, talentless shysters as he has mostly been the past 2-3 seasons) before saying that he "has had me not wanting to come back" because he passes the ball backwards a lot :confused: :rolleyes:

worcesterhibby
11-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Lewis Stevenson - different player

Err a little case of… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

jacomo
11-02-2015, 08:11 PM
There's some high quality hypocrisy / revisionism / self-justification going on in this thread!

LS is that rare thing in this mercenary, narcissistic world - a guy who keeps his head down, works hard and doesn't cause any bother. Hope he stays with us his entire career.

Aldo
11-02-2015, 08:14 PM
There's some high quality hypocrisy / revisionism / self-justification going on in this thread! LS is that rare thing in this mercenary, narcissistic world - a guy who keeps his head down, works hard and doesn't cause any bother. Hope he stays with us his entire career.

Your first line made me laugh. And the folk ken who they are.

And couldn't agree more with the rest.

Model pro in all aspects of his game!

Well said!!

HibbyAndy
11-02-2015, 08:17 PM
There's some high quality hypocrisy / revisionism / self-justification going on in this thread!

LS is that rare thing in this mercenary, narcissistic world -:agree:.

Keep giving him contracts and LS will continue to sign.

This is a guy that want's to spend his whole career at Hibs. Gaun yersel wee man.