PDA

View Full Version : Well done Arbroath

theonlywayisup
07-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Thought Arbroath played well today.

Yes, I know it was a League 2 team, but I thought they tried to play football, always looking to pass the ball. I can't remember any long balls they played during the game. They also had a few good players. In fact, I thought they were a better team than The Rangers team we played 6 weeks ago.

Well played, Arbroath.

Hedlund12
07-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Their goalie had a great game.

Springbank
07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
They did give us more of a scare & more of a match than The Rangers recently

Some decent football on the deck and intelligent runs forward (first half)

They knew exactly what they were doing if they won the ball, with runners giving options left and right on the counter

Was glad to get the win but wish Arbroath all the best on 2 fronts
(1) winning their league
(2) ditching those colours

bigstu
07-02-2015, 07:22 PM
They were excellent, came & had a go which was very refreshing to see

hfc rd
07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Very impressed. They were better than half the Championship teams we've played this season.

Billy Whizz
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Very impressed. They were better than half the Championship teams we've played this season.

I agree, and played more up front than Hearts did at ER

Nakedmanoncrack
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Decent travelling support as well.

Purehibee_MYB
07-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Poor defending from us but their goal was excellent

overdrive
07-02-2015, 08:33 PM
Their #10 was a good wee player.

Diclonius
07-02-2015, 08:40 PM
My second team did well today. :aok:

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Completely agree including HoMoFC and The Rangers, have to say their number 7 looked a cracking player

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Their goalie had a great game.

Thought he looked poor and really didn't have many saves to make

hibby6270
07-02-2015, 08:46 PM
2 of our goals today were excellent but have to say theirs was the best of all for the intricate passing that led to it. They gave us a fright first half but think it's fair to say that on balance our second half display gave us the edge.

Have to agree though. Refreshing to see them have a go. Well done. :aok:

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Agree they could easily have beaten HOMoFC and The Rangers on that display

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Good travelling support from them today. Better than most this season.

whiskyhibby
07-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Agree, but it is the Scottish cup !

lucky
07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Just said to one of the boys in the pub they were one of the better teams at ER this season

matty_f
07-02-2015, 10:41 PM
I was impressed by their number seven, he had a good game. I thought they set the pace of the game and probably caught us by surprise a little.

Mikey09
07-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Their #10 was a good wee player.

Signed a pre contract with Dundee Utd...

neil7908
07-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Number 7 looked the part

Diclonius
07-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Arbroath have been my local team for years and been to see them play a few times. Happy that they played well today but a lot happier that we got the win. Good to see them getting recognition for their performance. :aok:

maturehibby
07-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Four of the 5 bookings were for bad fouls and only one for time wasting and he was not as lucky as the no 10 who got let off for kicking the ball away time wasting in the first half as was the one who did get booked - all changed in the second half when they went behind

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 08:02 AM
What a big difference seeing a team come to ER and try and give us a game. Almost every team, if not all in our league have come with the intention of not losing.

Onion
08-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Much better side than Raith Rovers, who stole a draw off us.

JimBHibees
08-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Signed a pre contract with Dundee Utd...

He has signed with United but they loaned him back for the rest of the season.

Chuck Rhoades
08-02-2015, 08:52 AM
**** off Arbroath and every other opposition that comes to ER. We're far too soft.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Good to see a team come to ER and actually try to win the game. Outwith Hearts and Rangers (no smirking at the back) I can't think of many teams who have set out to do that in the league this year.

I'm not going to patronise them by giving them a wee pat on the back though. It was an opportunity to get to the quarter finals of the SC and they played exactly as they should have

B.H.F.C
08-02-2015, 09:01 AM
**** off Arbroath and every other opposition that comes to ER. We're far too soft.

I'm with you. I'm not in to this clapping opposition players off when they are being substituted and stuff like that.

Jim44
08-02-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm with you. I'm not in to this clapping opposition players off when they are being substituted and stuff like that.

And I'm with you. We're hardly in a position to make patronising gestures to so called diddly teams who for years have taken care of us in games we should have strolled through.

Keith_M
08-02-2015, 09:11 AM

Giving praise to an away team on a Fans Forum the day after the match is 'going soft'?

Chuck Rhoades
08-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Giving praise to an away team on a Fans Forum the day after the match is 'going soft'?

It was more a reference to the match itself and the applauding of the opposition.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 09:17 AM
It was more a reference to the match itself and the applauding of the opposition.

I only remember the injured guy being applauded off the pitch - were there others?

Kojock
08-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I was impressed by their number seven, he had a good game. I thought they set the pace of the game and probably caught us by surprise a little.

Guy beside us was saying he was the son of ex Hibs player Gary Murray ??

AlbertK86
08-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Was it not the Mick Hucknall lookalike that was Gary's laddie

Spike Mandela
08-02-2015, 09:41 AM
No 7 and No 10 were excellent but the bald guy no 9 never stopped running and causing our defence bother the whole game. It was around the 80th minute or so he was back in his own half breaking up a Hibs attack then seconds later trying to get on end of a cross in to our box.

Energy, endeavour, bravery and no little skill from the part timers of Arbroath, I was very impressed. As was Stubbs going by his post match interview. Hopefully got his eye on one or two.

bigwheel
08-02-2015, 09:45 AM

No, it was the ginger guy up front who is Murray's boy

Hibbyradge
08-02-2015, 09:45 AM

Not soft.

Just patronising.

SaulGoodman
08-02-2015, 10:19 AM

There was about 5 minutes to go and we had a two goal lead. Big deal

Galahibby
08-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Number 7 looked the part

I was impressed with him. Thought the big ginger felly out of the Full Monty did well too :wink:

Galahibby
08-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Not soft.

Just patronising.

That's a little bit harsh. Is it not ok to acknowledge someone has had a decent game unless they play for Hibs?

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 10:34 AM
That's a little bit harsh. Is it not ok to acknowledge someone has had a decent game unless they play for Hibs?

TBF you're not always allowed to do it if they play for Hibs.

Galahibby
08-02-2015, 11:04 AM
TBF you're not always allowed to do it if they play for Hibs.

Haha, that did cross my mind when I was typing it.

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2015, 11:06 AM
They passed & moved better than half the teams who have come to ER this season. I've got to admit I was a bit worried they might score a second, that would have put us in real trouble. They had a few decent players too, its not hard to see why they are top of their division.

Maroon top with white sleeves? If Wallet Mercer had won would that have been the new Yam top?

Chuck Rhoades
08-02-2015, 11:09 AM
There was about 5 minutes to go and we had a two goal lead. Big deal

It frustrates me that the majority of the support booed our players during parts, but support the opposition? Aye, it's a big deal.

Borderhibbie76
08-02-2015, 12:08 PM
It frustrates me that the majority of the support booed our players during parts, but support the opposition? Aye, it's a big deal.

I didnt hear any booing yesterday other than at the woeful ref...in fact the fans in the main reacted well to Arbroath going ahead I thought

--------
08-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Good to see a team come to ER and actually try to win the game. Outwith Hearts and Rangers (no smirking at the back) I can't think of many teams who have set out to do that in the league this year.

Well, I'd rather they came to ER quaking in their boots and throwing in the towel half-way through the first half. Stuff this sportsmanship lark - make 'em feel threatened and unwelcome.

Indeed. Totally agree. Be nice to our own players and make the opposition just want to go home at half time.

Lower-league teams in the Cup kick us and try to put our guys in hospital. Giant-killers are always hackers and gougers. And if they beat us, THEY don't go all 'play up, play up and play the game' - they give it to us tight and gloat all the way home and then some.

ancient hibee
09-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Did Arbroath have another shot on target?

Carheenlea
09-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Simply not true.

JoeT_WasTheBest
09-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Their number 7 is on loan to them from Dundee United I believe. Decent player.

Hermit Crab
09-02-2015, 09:49 PM
I was impressed with him. Thought the big ginger felly out of the Full Monty did well too :wink:

Lomper.

Thecat23
09-02-2015, 09:51 PM

I never heard any boos towards our players? The ref was getting it tight but when we went a goal down many around me started clapping and cheering Hibs on even more!

As for the Arbroath players I clapped the subs as I thought over all they played well and I appreciate teams from lower leagues having a go and making a game of it!

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-02-2015, 09:55 PM

No. 10

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2015, 10:17 PM

Poor home support.

Billy
09-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Photo's from the day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/sets/72157650646628016/

My_Wife_Camille
10-02-2015, 02:23 AM
:top marks

SlatefordHibby
10-02-2015, 03:53 AM
Poor home support.

Aye right then. Scottish cup is over for the Gorgie mob.

Ringothedog
10-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Poor home support.

2nd highest crowd in Scotland and only 2 thousand less than your local team got against the lesser greens in the last round.

Ringothedog
10-02-2015, 06:49 AM

He is on loan from Dundee.

Nutmegged
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Football fans are fickle, congratulating Arbroath for playing well in defeat, yet if they hung on to that 1-0 then this place would be in meltdown for blowing a great opportunity to get to another Cup Final.

the narrative would have been very very different if we didn't comeback and eventually coast by them

brog
10-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Photo's from the day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/sets/72157650646628016/

Great pix, there's hundreds of them! I think they must have taken a pic every time an Arbroath player touched the ball!

Dashing Bob S
10-02-2015, 11:07 AM

I agree, we should have had a full mob of CCS out and launched a vicious, unremitting criminal assault on those Angus families on their day out for having the audacity to wear maroon.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2015, 06:51 PM
They passed & moved better than half the teams who have come to ER this season. I've got to admit I was a bit worried they might score a second, that would have put us in real trouble. They had a few decent players too, its not hard to see why they are top of their division.

Maroon top with white sleeves? If Wallet Mercer had won would that have been the new Yam top?

It was a Yam top some years ago.

Smartie
10-02-2015, 07:04 PM
We've struggled this year when teams have come and put men behind the ball and defended. We've generally been at our best in games when teams have had to come out and have a go (Rangers, Hearts, Dundee United).

I honestly think they were the best of all of the teams who have come along and tried to take us on in a game of football this year, it was a good game and a very brave effort. They had several players who looked like they belonged at a higher level (the fact that a few of them are on loan from bigger clubs would explain this).

Their number 7 was their best player for me. If he's out of the picture at Dundee he might be worthy of a cheeky wee bid.

Good luck to them this season, always good seeing teams trying to play the right way regardless of the level.

bigwheel
10-02-2015, 07:07 PM
We've struggled this year when teams have come and put men behind the ball and defended. We've generally been at our best in games when teams have had to come out and have a go (Rangers, Hearts, Dundee United).

I honestly think they were the best of all of the teams who have come along and tried to take us on in a game of football this year, it was a good game and a very brave effort. They had several players who looked like they belonged at a higher level (the fact that a few of them are on loan from bigger clubs would explain this).

Their number 7 was their best player for me. If he's out of the picture at Dundee he might be worthy of a cheeky wee bid.

Good luck to them this season, always good seeing teams trying to play the right way regardless of the level.

Not sure about the 7...lots of skill...but could be one of those who looks brilliant in training, but struggles with consistency at first team level...

They pressed us high up the park, gave us less space..and made it harder for us than many have. Could be an approach we see other teams take to us in the remainder of the season...