PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan not trying as hard?

Monts
07-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Is it just me that feels in the last 2 games SA has lacked the effort he was putting in previously.

I know he is a great talent but I think the old saying of talent means nothing without hard work is starting to apply here.

Edit: I don't mean he doesn't work hard but more that he's stopped trying to win the ball back after losing it.

emerald green
07-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Dearie me. Let's have a go at Scott Allan now. We can add him to the ever growing list of Stevenson, Craig, Oxley, Robertson etc.

Unbelievable.

Hibby Bairn
07-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Didn't see that at all. Miles ahead of everyone on the pitch and got frustrated at others not keeping pace with his undoubted football brain.

hibee_girl
07-02-2015, 05:37 PM
He was clearly frustrated today, that's not the same as not trying as hard.

pedroorange1875
07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Is it just me that feels in the last 2 games SA has lacked the effort he was putting in previously.

I know he is a great talent but I think the old saying of talent means nothing without hard work is starting to apply here.

Absolutely outstanding player, glides past people like they are not there. Can switch feet mid run and has sublime vision, i would get fed up and hacked off much quicker than he does with some of his stuff not even nearly being read . When we were watching the complete durge of the last 5 years, crying out for a played with vision and real skill like Allan, Scott Allan can have a table in the middle of the park and have his tea for all i care. Superb talent

Monts
07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad player. Far from it. But today especially when he lost the ball he would just give up instead of trying to win it back. If that had been Craig there would have been a riot.

B.H.F.C
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Best player on the pitch by a mile.

There was two or three times where he didn't exactly hide his frustration when things didn't quite roll for him. And once or twice where he didn't exactly burst a gut to win the ball back when he lost it. But if he did those type of thing he's probably not be at Hibs.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Bernz, please do yourself a favour and delete this thread. You're embarrassing yourself. Let's consider our goal, Liam Craig lumped a poor misplaced cross field ball that Scott Allan had to burst a gut to get to even though it looked like David Gray could of had it comfortably, he won the ball and this released Gray allowing him to move inside to create the goal. There was another incident where he took the ball from our own box and sprinted to their box by passing the ball past his man rather than stopping and beating him through skill. Close this thread, you are wrong. Very, worryingly wrong.

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Bernz, please do yourself a favour and delete this thread. You're embarrassing yourself. Let's consider our goal, Liam Craig lumped a poor misplaced cross field ball that Scott Allan had to burst a gut to get to even though it looked like David Gray could of had it comfortably, he won the ball and this released Gray allowing him to move inside to create the goal. There was another incident where he took the ball from our own box and sprinted to their box by passing the ball past his man rather than stopping and beating him through skill. Close this thread, you are wrong. Very, worryingly wrong.
I never once said he's not a good player. Quite the opposite. But if a player loses the ball in the middle of the park and then just let's the opposition player just stroll away with the ball then something's not quite right. Should such obvious talent negate the need to keep working for the team?

ancient hibee
07-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Some people value effort over skill-I think they're mistaken.

Sir David Gray
07-02-2015, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't have said that he's not trying as hard but I certainly wouldn't have named him man of the match.

Malthibby
07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Thought he was a bit unfocussed last week but put in a shift today, including chasing back & putting in tackles.
Best player on the pitch.

Col2
07-02-2015, 06:09 PM
I think he has gone off the boil a little but still a very effective player. As others have said, we have many players in the team who are better at tracking back but very few if any who can play like he can.

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Some people value effort over skill-I think they're mistaken.

Again, I'm not devaluing his skill. Hard work added to talent is the ultimate combination though.

ancient hibee
07-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Again, I'm not devaluing his skill. Hard work added to talent is the ultimate combination though.

Quite so but too many have hard work without talent.

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Quite so but too many have hard work without talent.

I agree, that's why it's frustrating when you see a player with such talent but they aren't working as hard as others.

California-Hibs
07-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Get this thread deleted, absolutely ridiculous! Allan was all over the park today! He had one passage of play in the 2nd half when he burst a gut getting forward then retrieving the ball. He works hard in every game he plays imo.

He goes past players like they're not there. His quick feet, step overs, drag backs, vision, are all superb.

We have a SERIOUSLY great player on our hands here!

kaimendhibs
07-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Wow, what a thread. Cracking player who we are lucky to have. I despair at times

greenlex
07-02-2015, 06:18 PM
I think he's trying too hard to be honest. A few simple passes without trying the world cup pass might help a bit. There are times he is running with the ball in areas if he is dispossessed we will be in trouble and there really is no need.

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Get this thread deleted, absolutely ridiculous! Allan was all over the park today! He had one passage of play in the 2nd half when he burst a gut getting forward then retrieving the ball. He works hard in every game he plays imo.

He goes past players like they're not there. His quick feet, step overs, drag backs, vision, are all superb.

Do all threads you disagree with need to be deleted?

Yup once again I'll clarify that I think Allan is a top player. But seriously did it not frustrate you when he lost the ball and then just gave up?

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I think he's trying too hard to be honest. A few simple passes without trying the world cup pass might help a bit. There are times he is running with the ball in areas if he is dispossessed we will be in trouble and there really is no need.

I agree with that.

scoopyboy
07-02-2015, 06:20 PM
I agree, that's why it's frustrating when you see a player with such talent but they aren't working as hard as others.

I wonder how many people will ask you to delete this thread before you do.

erin go bragh
07-02-2015, 06:22 PM
This 100% . The guys a joy to watch .

Ggtth

gaz1875
07-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Tinted glasses he was poor today and was rightly subbed, players can have bad games.

emerald green
07-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Do all threads you disagree with need to be deleted?

Yup once again I'll clarify that I think Allan is a top player. But seriously did it not frustrate you when he lost the ball and then just gave up?

And that's enough for you to start a thread suggesting Scott Allan is "not trying as hard?" Jeez. :rolleyes:

SaulGoodman
07-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Tinted glasses he was poor today and was rightly subbed, players can have bad games.

You must be joking

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:29 PM
And that's enough for you to start a thread suggesting Scott Allan is "not trying as hard?" Jeez. :rolleyes:

Yes because in previous matches he didn't just give up.

gaz1875
07-02-2015, 06:29 PM
You must be joking

No honest.

emerald green
07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Yes because in previous matches he didn't just give up.

I'm out. You crack on mate.

Bishop Hibee
07-02-2015, 06:32 PM
I thought he was decent today. Instrumental in the equaliser and always trying to get on the ball.

Monts
07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I have to say having re read my initial post it does sound harsh on Allan. I wasn't meaning he doesn't work hard. But that his efforts after something didn't work for him appeared to have dropped.

sleeping giant
07-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Get a grip you big bunch of babies .
Delete the thread ? Are you serious ?

Deary deary me.

Bernz is giving his opinion . Let's see the rest of you start some threads.

Delete the thread :faf:

Pete
07-02-2015, 06:43 PM

Deary deary me.

Delete this post.

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2015, 06:45 PM
pmsl @ the http://mcguff1.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/thread_police.gif :greengrin

sleeping giant
07-02-2015, 06:46 PM
pmsl @ the http://mcguff1.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/thread_police.gif :greengrin

:agree:

emerald green
07-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Deary deary me.

He's entitled to his opinion of course. It's just that it's complete boll**** IMHO.

Glorious St Pat
07-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I thought he was decent today. Instrumental in the equaliser and always trying to get on the ball.

Thought and think he was Besteque - way way ahead of his team mates with thought and ingenutity.

Pete
07-02-2015, 06:52 PM

Reported.

sleeping giant
07-02-2015, 06:53 PM
He's entitled to his opinion of course. It's just that it's complete boll**** IMHO.

How many bull**** threads are on here ? Do you think they all should be deleted ?
Bernz was giving his opinion on the match he attended. I assume all the thread delete riot squad were at the match too.

Another thing , he's been posting here since dial up days so demanding that the thread gets deleted is outrageous .

Fair enough , don't agree but delete the thread ? :faf:

Jay
07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Bernz, my 18 year old son was saying the same as you today. An outstanding player by all means but there was a few times this week and (I think) last week that he felt he wasn't chasing back when the he should have.

tamig
07-02-2015, 06:55 PM

Edit: I don't mean he doesn't work hard but more that he's stopped trying to win the ball back after losing it.

Scott Allan had a great game today and put in a decent shift from where I was sitting. Took a few hefty whacks too but just kept going. If that's him not trying it's good enough for me.

emerald green
07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
How many bull**** threads are on here ? Do you think they all should be deleted ?
Bernz was giving his opinion on the match he attended. I assume all the thread delete riot squad were at the match too.

Another thing , he's been posting here since dial up days so demanding that the thread gets deleted is outrageous .

Fair enough , don't agree but delete the thread ? :faf:

Hang on, can you point me to where I demanded this thread gets deleted? I think you are maybe mixing me up with another poster(s).

As I said earlier, he's entitled to his opinion, and I wouldn't want a thread deleted simply because I disagreed with it.

Finally, I don't see what the length of time anyone has been posting on this forum has got to do with anything. I couldn't care less how long or how briefly anyone has been posting. They are all entitled to express their opinions.

California-Hibs
07-02-2015, 07:02 PM

Exactly, a thread that does no good whatsoever, a thread that if Scott Allan decides to jump on .net to see what the fans thought of the team/him today, he clicks on, reads all the garbage and then thinks...well you know what, screw them! Then, we might have a player that might not 'try as hard'. And believe me, that very situation has happened many times before! Yes, it doesn't look to good on a player who can't raise above negativity, but lets not try to have a knock at a player who's confidence is high, raking up Man Of The Match awards most weeks, assisting goals, and giving us great entertainment!

Hibs won today!

matty_f
07-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Don't delete the thread, if it annoys you simply tipp-ex over the posts you don't like and read the rest. Simple.

Pete
07-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Don't delete the thread, if it annoys you simply tipp-ex over the posts you don't like and read the rest. Simple.

#southkorea.net

Monts
07-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Exactly, a thread that does no good whatsoever, a thread that if Scott Allan decides to jump on .net to see what the fans thought of the team/him today, he clicks on, reads all the garbage and then thinks...well you know what, screw them! Then, we might have a player that might not 'try as hard'. And believe me, that very situation has happened many times before! Yes, it doesn't look to good on a player who can't raise above negativity, but lets not try to have a knock at a player who's confidence is high, raking up Man Of The Match awards most weeks, assisting goals, and giving us great entertainment!

Hibs won today!

It was a topic I brought up on a discussion board, for discussion. I may be in the minority but it was still my opinion
I would hope that a professional player might see someone commenting on them giving up after losing the ball and think that's an area I can maybe look at. I would be surprised if he thought he had zero faults in his game.

I was also delighted that hibs won.

Monts
07-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Bernz, my 18 year old son was saying the same as you today. An outstanding player by all means but there was a few times this week and (I think) last week that he felt he wasn't chasing back when the he should have.

Thank goodness for that. I thought I was maybe going mad :greengrin

matty_f
07-02-2015, 07:10 PM
#southkorea.net

Tipp-ex-ed your post, defo.

keep the faith
07-02-2015, 07:11 PM

Seriously. Think before you post mate.

theonlywayisup
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Yes....totally agree with this thread. Let's replace the most skilful player we've had for years with a donkey who gives 110%. That's progress!

MSK
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
tipp-ex-ed your post, defo.That tippex works mate ...:agree:

Brightside
07-02-2015, 07:15 PM
a cracking player..but he could work harder in games. Stubbs has said this.

Scottie
07-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm out. You crack on mate.

Hang on, can you point me to where I demanded this thread gets deleted? I think you are maybe mixing me up with another poster(s).

As I said earlier, he's entitled to his opinion, and I wouldn't want a thread deleted simply because I disagreed with it.

Finally, I don't see what the length of time anyone has been posting on this forum has got to do with anything. I couldn't care less how long or how briefly anyone has been posting. They are all entitled to express their opinions.
Thought you were out :greengrin. :cb

Cool_Hand_Luke
07-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Our best player by a mile in my opinion. Cant understand when the crowd get on his back to play a simple ball when he's the only one capable of seeing a pass no one else can see....just let him get on with what he's best at.

What i would say though, i think he's better starting off at the back of the diamond, in front of the back four being able to pick up the ball and drive forward with it. it looked to me that he started at the tip of the diamond today, and maybe he was given instructions not to chase back as much?

The only one i could hear Stubbs and Doolan shouting at to chase back was Cummings...so maybe Allan was told to stay up field a bit more?

Hiber-nation
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Eh? What? Come again?

Seems to be quite popular on here now on a Saturday night to have a totally unjustified pop at Allan. 1 poor and 2 average games this season as far as I can recall. The rest either midfield masterclasses, very good or 1 or 2 just plain good.

emerald green
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Thought you were out :greengrin. :cb

As Al Pacino says in The Godfather..."just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in" (something like that!) :greengrin :aok:

Mango Man
07-02-2015, 07:29 PM
I can see what Bernz is saying, there was a few occasions where Allan did just give up after receiving a dodgy pass or after losing the ball, also over hit a lot of passes today, but he has set such a high standard for himself and had so many good games for us that when it doesn't quite happen for him it's magnified. Was never man of the match though, wee Lewis for me.

Scottie
07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
As Al Pacino says in The Godfather..."just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in" (something like that!) :greengrin :aok:
:top marks :agree: :greengrin

overdrive
07-02-2015, 07:41 PM
You could justifiably say that about him last week. He was excellent today I thought though.

Sir David Gray
07-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Hibs won today!

To be honest, if a football player goes onto the internet and deliberately goes onto a fans forum where he is likely to read comments about himself and his confidence is knocked because of a few negative remarks, he is probably in the wrong job.

Jonnyboy
07-02-2015, 07:46 PM
In Scott Allan we have a player that can both excite and frustrate during the 90 minutes. His reading of the game is excellent and his ability to pick a pass is way ahead of anything I've seen from a Hibs player for some time. He glides over the grass and has a deceptive turn of pace. The frustration, and I think this is what bernz was getting at with his OP, is that he can take a wee huff for a few seconds and that makes him look like he's not trying.

Over the piece though, there is far more to excite than frustrate IMO :agree:

ronaldo7
07-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I'm just disappointed that I never got to see him showboating today. Maybe he's just a bit tired of carrying others. Loving your work Scott.:aok:

PatHead
07-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Wish we had sold him to Dundee Utd, infact I wish we had paid them to take him off our hands.

He is too clever and skillful for Hibs these days.

Andy74
07-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Boozy, the original, now seems to be revered but this place didn't think he tackled enough, scored enough goals or created anything.

We soon try and ruin anything decent we ever get.

silverhibee
07-02-2015, 08:03 PM
In Scott Allan we have a player that can both excite and frustrate during the 90 minutes. His reading of the game is excellent and his ability to pick a pass is way ahead of anything I've seen from a Hibs player for some time. He glides over the grass and has a deceptive turn of pace. The frustration, and I think this is what bernz was getting at with his OP, is that he can take a wee huff for a few seconds and that makes him look like he's not trying.

Over the piece though, there is far more to excite than frustrate IMO :agree:

And that is probably down to players not being on his football thinking level, and he has a wee huff about it, no big deal, he is doing plenty other good stuff that is getting results.

Jonnyboy
07-02-2015, 08:06 PM
And that is probably down to players not being on his football thinking level, and he has a wee huff about it, no big deal, he is doing plenty other good stuff that is getting results.

:agree:

emerald green
07-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Boozy, the original, now seems to be revered but this place didn't think he tackled enough, scored enough goals or created anything.

We soon try and ruin anything decent we ever get.

:agree: It's because there a few posters who wouldn't recognize a footballer if their lives depended on it. I sometimes wonder if these people ever actually played the game, at any level.

tamig
07-02-2015, 08:11 PM
:agree: It's because there a few posters who wouldn't recognize a footballer if their lives depended on it. I sometimes wonder if these people ever actually played the game, at any level.

And it just wouldn't be hibs.net if folk didn't make up something to moan about.

MWHIBBIES
07-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Have to disagree with the OP, there is no way someone could give the ball away that much without trying. Big fan but he was pish today.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
I never once said he's not a good player. Quite the opposite. But if a player loses the ball in the middle of the park and then just let's the opposition player just stroll away with the ball then something's not quite right. Should such obvious talent negate the need to keep working for the team?

You can't win with this mate. I'm with you and have been saying the same for weeks.

All you'll get is he was sublime, wonderful, superb, streets ahead of anyone on the park.

Glad to see some folk dont just go along with the majority and are willing to take the blinkers off and make their own mind up.

God Petrie
07-02-2015, 08:37 PM
He appears to be believing his own publicity imo. Great player but a few good games doesn't mean he can stroll it against lesser clubs like abroath and hertz. Am sure he'll step it up against rangers tho.

Hiber-nation
07-02-2015, 08:38 PM
You can't win with this mate. I'm with you and have been saying the same for weeks.

All you'll get is he was sublime, wonderful, superb, streets ahead of anyone on the park.

Glad to see some folk dont just go along with the majority and are willing to take the blinkers off and make their own mind up.

Wow!!

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Wow!!

Doesn't do it often enough for me. He should've dictated it today and didn't.

His mistakes are masked with "he was trying something difficult" - not always.

Maybe I expect too much? Maybe we've talked him up too much?

Monts
07-02-2015, 08:45 PM

Glad to see I'm not alone. I'm not saying he's not a good player.

marinello59
07-02-2015, 08:47 PM

Maybe you just want journeyman players who won't attempt something different. Scott Allan gives us the kind of thing that gets you out of your seat at the sheer audacity of it all. Give me one Scott Allan to watch over a hundred 'that will do" type players. He is the type of player that makes the ticket prices worth while.

Danderhall Hibs
Glad to see I'm not alone. I'm not saying he's not a good player.

Same here. Gets away with murder though.

Disappointing cos he looks like he truly could be sublime and wonderful and whatever other hyperbole gets chucked around.

Danderhall Hibs
Maybe you just want journeyman players who won't attempt something different. Scott Allan gives us the kind of thing that gets you out of your seat at the sheer audacity of it all. Give me one Scott Allan to watch over a hundred 'that will do" type players. He is the type of player that makes the ticket prices worth while.

Nah I don't. I just want him to live up to the hype (potential).

hibby6270
07-02-2015, 08:55 PM
IMHO he is too good for his own good. Or in other words those playing with him sometimes not on same wavelength. Some of his passing is sublime but he is one step ahead iof everyone else in the team who don't anticipate quick enough to latch on to his through balls.

Long may that continue though. The rest will get it right one day and we will be unstoppable. :thumbsup::greengrin

scoopyboy
07-02-2015, 09:05 PM
I think Scott Allan is the best football player to have played for Hibs for many a year.

Brilliant to watch and sometimes I'm amazed at the things he does, I'm enjoying it whilst I can as I don't think he will play 100 times for us even if he does sign a contract extension.

For those that moan about him I feel you are in for a rough time, we don't get players of his calibre very often.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Danderhall, Bernz. What would you rather? James Collins stomping around giving it blood and thunder yet actually achieving the square root of hee haw? You're both disturbingly wrong. Do you both have a picture of Tom "at least he tried hard" Taiwo next to your bed with a solitary candle lit at all times? Please just give up. Scott Allan works hard, does dangerous moves and (unlike the afore mentioned no marks) gets results. Go whine somewhere else. Close this thread, I pray you are both joking, end of.

Unseen work
07-02-2015, 09:08 PM
cant beleive some of the stuff im reading here!!

Scott is a fantastic player and far too good for this level

he wont chase back daft all the time as of the position he is playing, doing that would put him out of position and upset the shape of the team, there are 8 people behind him to stop it, stubbs will want him focussing on what he does best; getting on the ball, making things happen and creating plenty of goalscoring chances, and he makes about 3 of these per game

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:08 PM
I think Scott Allan is the best football player to have played for Hibs for many a year.

Brilliant to watch and sometimes I'm amazed at the things he does, I'm enjoying it whilst I can as I don't think he will play 100 times for us even if he does sign a contract extension.

For those that moan about him I feel you are in for a rough time, we don't get players of his calibre very often.

I don't know if many are moaning about him - just want more from him. He looks like he switches off at times and can't be bothered at others. Could be the reason for him not making it down south.

He's clearly got ability - I just wish he would use it all the time.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Danderhall, Bernz. What would you rather? James Collins stomping around giving it blood and thunder yet actually achieving the square root of hee haw? You're both disturbingly wrong. Do you both have a picture of Tom "at least he tried hard" Taiwo next to your bed with a solitary candle lit at all times? Please just give up. Scott Allan works hard, does dangerous moves and (unlike the afore mentioned no marks) gets results. Go whine somewhere else. Close this thread, I pray you are both joking, end of.

This is the kind of nonsense that doesn't help debate.

Jay
07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Bernz I fear many people on this thread aren't actually getting your point, they are reading your words and seeing "Scott Allan's **** and I wish he'd get the hell out of my club" :)
Some of us actually took time to read and digest the actual words you have written.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Bernz I fear many people on this thread aren't actually getting your point, they are reading your words and seeing "Scott Allan's **** and I wish he'd get the hell out of my club" :)
Some of us actually took time to read and digest the actual words you have written.

:agree: it's either black or white for so many. No room for grey.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:15 PM
This is the kind of nonsense that doesn't help debate.

And coming out saying rubbish about our best player is helping the club improve? Get a grip, Scott Allan has an unbelievable amount of assists, is involved in almost all our goals yet people like you would rather slag him off because he throws his hands up in the air when he loses the ball. Ever thought that might be because he cares? Let's just get Tom Taiwo and James Collins back, see how they compare to Scott Allan!

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:20 PM
And coming out saying rubbish about our best player is helping the club improve? Get a grip, Scott Allan has an unbelievable amount of assists, is involved in almost all our goals yet people like you would rather slag him off because he throws his hands up in the air when he loses the ball. Ever thought that might be because he cares? Let's just get Tom Taiwo and James Collins back, see how they compare to Scott Allan!

See previous post.

Are you saying he can't improve?

Hibby Bairn
07-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Scott Allan is the best player I have seen at Hibs in last 5 years or so.

A great signing by Stubbs.

scoopyboy
07-02-2015, 09:21 PM
I don't know if many are moaning about him - just want more from him. He looks like he switches off at times and can't be bothered at others. Could be the reason for him not making it down south.

I think part of the inconsistency problem (even during a game) is that for a 23yo he hasn't played a lot of football.

He had less than 50 league appearances before joining us and only eight whilst contracted to his club, ie the rest being on loan which can be a difficult environment to settle into.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:25 PM
I think part of the inconsistency problem (even during a game) is that for a 23yo he hasn't played a lot of football.

He had less than 50 league appearances before joining us and only eight whilst contracted to his club, ie the rest being on loan which can be a difficult environment to settle into.

I agree - I think that's a big part of it.

Although maybe he's played less than 50 games at 23 because of his attitude?

I hope not.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:26 PM
See previous post.

Are you saying he can't improve?

I never said he could or couldn't improve so have absolutely no idea what you are on about, however seeing as you asked I think he will continue to get better. Scott Allan will continue to boss games, set up goals and get involved. Long may it continue and long may those who slag him off (and affect his development) get shot down in flames.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:27 PM
I never said he could or couldn't improve so have absolutely no idea what you are on about, however seeing as you asked I think he will continue to get better. Scott Allan will continue to boss games, set up goals and get involved. Long may it continue and long may those who slag him off (and affect his development) get shot down in flames.

Where do you think he can improve his game?

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:32 PM

I think he can continue to develop, he's a fantastic talent.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:32 PM
I think he can continue to develop, he's a fantastic talent.

In what areas?

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:34 PM
In what areas?

None specific, he doesn't need to improve in any areas, he will continue to get better and better as has been evidenced by the number of assists he continually gets.

scoopyboy
07-02-2015, 09:34 PM
I agree - I think that's a big part of it.

Although maybe he's played less than 50 games at 23 because of his attitude?

I hope not.

His biggest problem that I'm aware of is his diabetes.

I think at other clubs they didn't really bother about him, I know at Hibs we have put a lot of work in trying to stabilise his diet which I understand is very important with diabetes.

I'm not all that clued up about diabetes but I think I'm right in saying that he's got Class A and has to inject a few times a day.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:35 PM
None specific, he doesn't need to improve in any areas, he will continue to get better and better as has been evidenced by the number of assists he continually gets.

How will he get better if he doesn't need to improve any areas?

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:39 PM

I think at other clubs they didn't really bother about him, I know at Hibs we have put a lot of work in trying to stabilise his diet which I understand is very important with diabetes.

I'm not all that clued up about diabetes but I think I'm right in saying that he's got Class A and has to inject a few times a day.

Didn't know that - bound to hold you back in some way I'd imagine. Good that Hibs are trying to help and surprised other clubs didn't.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:39 PM
How will he get better if he doesn't need to improve any areas?
Right taken out if context, I mean that he is hardly glaringly weak in any particular department considering where he plays! He will continue to get better and better at all areas of the game, he isn't Ronaldo or Messi but he is a real talent and one that we should be excited about and praising not bad mouthing because he apparently doesn't try hard enough

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Right taken out if context, I mean that he is hardly glaringly weak in any particular department considering where he plays! He will continue to get better and better at all areas of the game, he isn't Ronaldo or Messi but he is a real talent and one that we should be excited about and praising not bad mouthing because he apparently doesn't try hard enough

So he's not the complete player, will get better but doesn't need to improve to get better?

Scottie
07-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Didn't realise that SB.

Brother in law has Type 1 and injects thrice a day and horrendous to watch if his sugar level falls below dangerous levels.

Can kill you very easily if not managed properly.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 09:52 PM
So he's not the complete player, will get better but doesn't need to improve to get better?

You've got it!

Now take the blinkers off, what I said was that Scott Allan is a great player for hibs, really talented and will continue to show off this talent, hopefully at hibs. Unfortunately however this is unlikely he will probably end up back at the premiership where he will continue to show off the skills that have gained plaudits almost universally with the hibs support. Players who perform exceptionally well and that get results can always get better Danderhall that's what I'm saying and I fear this point has whiz zed way over your head just like one of James "try hard" Collins pot shots at goal.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 09:53 PM
You've got it!

Now take the blinkers off, what I said was that Scott Allan is a great player for hibs, really talented and will continue to show off this talent, hopefully at hibs. Unfortunately however this is unlikely he will probably end up back at the premiership where he will continue to show off the skills that have gained plaudits almost universally with the hibs support. Players who perform exceptionally well and that get results can always get better Danderhall that's what I'm saying and I fear this point has whiz zed way over your head just like one of James "try hard" Collins pot shots at goal.

Nothing's whizzed over my head. I fear you don't understand what you've said though.

I don't think it's possible to get better without improving.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Nothing's whizzed over my head. I fear you don't understand what you've said though.

I don't think it's possible to get better without improving.

I agree that it's impossible to get better without improving I already identified in my previous post that what I said was out of context. We are going over old ground here and actually it looks like we agree that Scott Allan will get better, however I feel that he already works hard and delivers a fantastic return whilst you don't.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 10:05 PM
I agree that it's impossible to get better without improving I already identified in my previous post that what I said was out of context. We are going over old ground here and actually it looks like we agree that Scott Allan will get better, however I feel that he already works hard and delivers a fantastic return whilst you don't.

It's not out of context it was a direct question. Can he get better - if yes where does he need to improve.

I am frustrated by him because I see talent but I see areas he need to improve - quite a lot of folk seem to be happy for him to plod along and do something good every half hour or so and happy to forget the mistakes he makes.

Hiber-nation
07-02-2015, 10:09 PM

If he was as good as you think he should be then he wouldn't be at Hibs although I am sure Stubbs thinks he could work harder.

I just love to watch him play football.

QMU-1875
07-02-2015, 10:13 PM
It's not out of context it was a direct question. Can he get better - if yes where does he need to improve.

I am frustrated by him because I see talent but I see areas he need to improve - quite a lot of folk seem to be happy for him to plod along and do something good every half hour or so and happy to forget the mistakes he makes.

Ever player on this planet can get better, Ronaldo somehow managed to get better as shown by his pipping messi to the balon d'or the last 2 year. Saying this every player makes mistakes, even Ronaldo and messi who can sometimes "plod along" and then do something special. Scott Allan is not in the same bracket as these two but my point is this, he is a really talented player who in every game has several special moments that we have not seen in years. He makes mistakes but every player does, and to pick out and focus on these is in my opinion harming his development. Focus on the positives Danderhall, we have a real talent here!

Heisenberg
07-02-2015, 10:15 PM
He's a great wee player. Along with Mcgeough our best two midfielders for a very long time.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Ever player on this planet can get better, Ronaldo somehow managed to get better as shown by his pipping messi to the balon d'or the last 2 year. Saying this every player makes mistakes, even Ronaldo and messi who can sometimes "plod along" and then do something special. Scott Allan is not in the same bracket as these two but my point is this, he is a really talented player who in every game has several special moments that we have not seen in years. He makes mistakes but every player does, and to pick out and focus on these is in my opinion harming his development. Focus on the positives Danderhall, we have a real talent here!

See there's a thing called constructive criticism - that's what I'm attempting. To get better people need to be told development areas not just patted on the back all the time.

The opposite of constructive criticism is the abuse others (like Liam Craig) get. That's not what I'm attempting with Allan.

hfc rd
07-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Scott Allan's the best midfielder we've had in a long time!

neil7908
07-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Fantastic signing and I thought he looked like the best player on the park today.

However, I was getting a bit frustrated at his reaction to loosing the ball. On several occasions he just turned to the ref and looked annoyed when Arbroath were launching an attack and he was one of the closest Hibs players.

Again, he is our best player and as reluctant as I am to say anything negative about him I hope Stubbs has a quiet word with him.

andrew70
07-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Nah I don't. I just want him to live up to the hype (potential).

He strolls almost every game. We've been crying out for a player of his ability for years.

We've got one now and people slate him.

He's outstanding and to be perfectly frank probably shouldn't be playing at this lower level. He's a class apart. His class does the work for him.

Mibbes Aye
07-02-2015, 10:59 PM

Scott Allan is quite easily one of the most talented players we've had in a long, long time.

He sees things and can do things that not all his teammates can.

I'm with Danderhall Hibs though, if I'm picking him up right - there's been plenty of occasions I've seen Allan where he could make a quick and simple pass to keep things moving around. I don't expect him to make the Hollywood pass or some exquisite feint every time and sometimes it looks like we lose momentum or possession because he's trying to.

Allan is great and his Hollywood passes and skilling the opposition contribute to us winning, massively. If there is any frustration with him, and it's offset by the massive good he does for us, it's that he could be an even better player by sometimes keeping it simpler.

We are Hibs and no player can't improve. They all have the potential to improve in different ways and for me, Scott's got the potential to be an even better player by looking for an easier pass from time to time.

wookie70
07-02-2015, 11:09 PM
I can see where the OP is coming from. There was a couple of times today where Scott let his frustration get the better of his focus and he stood stock still after losing the ball while Arbroath roared forward. He pops up everywhere on the park and puts a shift in so I don't doubt his effort. He is a player who clearly wants to be perfect in everything he does and I think that is as much a hindrance as a blessing.

I actually think he sometimes tries too hard to impress. He is looking for the world cup ball perhaps too often and forcing it. I think we would be more successful if he tried a slightly higher percentage ball. The first goal today is a great example of how effective a ball inside a fullback can be. Scott has the quality to make that pass a high percentage of the time and with Gray and Lewis he has willing runners. Quite often he will try to thread a difficult ball early in a move and not give the fullbacks the chance to get forward. No issue with that as he has to play the game as he sees it but in my opinion we are better when he plays it quickly and simpler. He is still very young and has relatively few games under his belt so he will get better and he is already extremely good.

Whilst that may all sound critical I love watching him play. He has great feet and makes getting away from players look easy. Whilst I think he makes the wrong decisions more than I would like I love his ambition and when that threaded pass evades 3 or 4 defenders and ends up in a goal all the misplaced passes seem unimportant. A rare talent and one we will do well to hold on to. I will certainly enjoy watching him when he is here.

Mibbes Aye
07-02-2015, 11:21 PM
I can see where the OP is coming from. There was a couple of times today where Scott let his frustration get the better of his focus and he stood stock still after losing the ball while Arbroath roared forward. He pops up everywhere on the park and puts a shift in so I don't doubt his effort. He is a player who clearly wants to be perfect in everything he does and I think that is as much a hindrance as a blessing.

I actually think he sometimes tries too hard to impress. He is looking for the world cup ball perhaps too often and forcing it. I think we would be more successful if he tried a slightly higher percentage ball. The first goal today is a great example of how effective a ball inside a fullback can be. Scott has the quality to make that pass a high percentage of the time and with Gray and Lewis he has willing runners. Quite often he will try to thread a difficult ball early in a move and not give the fullbacks the chance to get forward. No issue with that as he has to play the game as he sees it but in my opinion we are better when he plays it quickly and simpler. He is still very young and has relatively few games under his belt so he will get better and he is already extremely good.

Whilst that may all sound critical I love watching him play. He has great feet and makes getting away from players look easy. Whilst I think he makes the wrong decisions more than I would like I love his ambition and when that threaded pass evades 3 or 4 defenders and ends up in a goal all the misplaced passes seem unimportant. A rare talent and one we will do well to hold on to. I will certainly enjoy watching him when he is here.

Good post.

His lack of first-team games in general is important to acknowledge. Likewise, it's so early in his time with Hibs, true of Gray as well, and while it's clear that we want the full backs pushing on or taking up the right space, it takes time for that to become familiar.

Lewis knows that job admittedly and perhaps that's why he's getting the plaudits at long last.

I know things are on the up when our critiques are about how good players could be better :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 07:04 AM

Good post - only thing I'd disagree with is at 23 he's not very young. He inexperienced in first team football but he's not young.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 07:05 AM
I know things are on the up when our critiques are about how good players could be better :greengrin

Exactly what a difference a few months make.

I'm just glad some folk can understand that.

Brightside
08-02-2015, 07:24 AM

every player needs to improve. to say otherwise is daft as they may as well stop skills training. He knows he has plenty to improve on in his game.

Phil MaGlass
08-02-2015, 07:38 AM

Im following this thread and there seems to be quite a few agreeing with him. Not taking sides, he is entitled to his opinion and folk asking for thread to be closed is laughable, if the guy did come on here and couldnt take the criticism then that would say more about him. I would however like to see more positive threads on hibsnet

Kaiser1962
08-02-2015, 08:36 AM

From my youth I recall that Danny McGrain, Andy Penman and tennis player Arthur Ashe were/are diabetic. More recently Gary Mabbutt and in the modern era Sir Steve Redgrave and Waisin Akram amongst others so it neednt be a major hindrance if managed properly and it seems that Hibs are doing that. Healing might take a bit longer but I am no expert.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2015, 08:44 AM

It's quite funny that when people criticise, or demand more, from Liam Craig you always jump in to point out all the good he does. He's proven he can play better than he has at Hibs at other clubs in his career so I want that from him at Hibs.

Yet with Scott Allan you seem to pick up on the poor things he does and almost seem annoyed when people choose to focus on the positive, almost exactly what you do with Craig.

I don't get it.

JimBHibees
08-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Given this then good on Hibs to be supporting him so well and amazing that he is turning in the performances he does. If fans get frustrated with him sometimes I would say I get more frustrated at them as I want to see guys trying the more difficult and potential goal creating passes that he does rather than playing the simple ball at the time. The delay he sometimes does in playing a pass wide is in the hope the defence spreads out and he can play the killer pass. He is a joy to watch and we should appreciate him while he is here.

Stuarty27
08-02-2015, 08:47 AM
It's quite funny that when people criticise, or demand more, from Liam Craig you always jump in to point out all the good he does. He's proven he can play better than he has at Hibs at other clubs in his career so I want that from him at Hibs.

Yet with Scott Allan you seem to pick up on the poor things he does and almost seem annoyed when people choose to focus on the positive, almost exactly what you do with Craig.

I don't get it.

Totally agree, its getting embarrassing really.

Onion
08-02-2015, 08:49 AM
90% of what Allan did yesterday was top quality. His ability to create time and space for himself sets him apart from every other player on the park. Some of his defence splitting passes reminded me of Latapy !

If he was any better than he is, he would not be at Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 08:51 AM

I don't get it.

Folk never look at the positives Craig brings though. He can play the exact same pass as Allan and one if them gets a roar of applause the other nothing.

Craig can improve as well no doubt about it. Allan is far more naturally talented than Craig IMO but sometimes with natural ability you get laziness.

The perceptions of both players have grown so much that some are classing Allan in the same bracket as Scott brown and Craig in with Matt Thornhill yet on stats alone they're not far different! I think Craig has more goals and Allan more assists (with Craig 2nd in the assist table).

I guess it's the double standards that irritate me. I just want to support everyone and encourage them to improve, others want to talk some up and talk others down.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2015, 09:07 AM
My only real criticism of Allan would be that he should score more goals. With his ability he should have more than one goal.

Same probably goes for McGeough but that's him got a couple in the last few weeks now so hopefully Scotty follows his lead.

Onion
08-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Folk never look at the positives Craig brings though. He can play the exact same pass as Allan and one if them gets a roar of applause the other nothing.

Craig can improve as well no doubt about it. Allan is far more naturally talented than Craig IMO but sometimes with natural ability you get laziness.

The perceptions of both players have grown so much that some are classing Allan in the same bracket as Scott brown and Craig in with Matt Thornhill yet on stats alone they're not far different! I think Craig has more goals and Allan more assists (with Craig 2nd in the assist table).

I guess it's the double standards that irritate me. I just want to support everyone and encourage them to improve, others want to talk some up and talk others down.

Sorry to nitpick but not the best comparison. From what I've seen Allan's ability to see a pass and play the perfect direction/pace is as good as anyone in the country ! Against the Huns, he played 3 killer balls that led to goals and many more that should have. Yesterday he slid a great pass to Gray to lay on the equaliser. Many of these don't count in the stats, but everyone can see the impact. IMO Allan is potentially the best midfielder we've had at the club since Latapy.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Sorry to nitpick but not the best comparison. From what I've seen Allan's ability to see a pass and play the perfect direction/pace is as good as anyone in the country ! Against the Huns, he played 3 killer balls that led to goals and many more that should have. Yesterday he slid a great pass to Gray to lay on the equaliser. Many of these don't count in the stats, but everyone can see the impact. IMO Allan is potentially the best midfielder we've had at the club since Latapy.

They both played a ball cross field yesterday - Allan got close to a standing ovation.

staunchhibby
08-02-2015, 09:29 AM
We should be getting behind the team and not nit picking.:thumbsup:

bigwheel
08-02-2015, 09:49 AM
We are so unused to have the type of football genius that Scott Allan has that we misinterpret his playing style...these type of players do come with a temperament...when they get frustrated things do get on top of them...it comes with the wonderful incredible ability they have....just because he isn't lung busting to get back all the time, doesn't mean he isn't trying....expect some ups and downs...and most of all...enjoy the wonder..as sometime in the future you will be missing it a lot....

SMAXXA
08-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Just read page 1 so maybe this has been said. I find it strange people are dismissing the opening posters comments as I can see exactly what he means. There were 3 or 4 occasions today when he just gave up after something didn't come off, typified when him and Cummings just turned away from play in the second half and the ball went straight to them. Btw I think Cummings can be a lazy sod at times aswell, I recon Frank did double the running Jason did today.

matty_f
08-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Without wanting to speak for anyone, I think Danderhall's gripe is that everything is extreme with some people, so nothing Craig does is worth praise but everything Allan does is above criticism.

IMHO Allan is the best player in the league on his day, but he's not been on his day every match, I don't think that's doing the guy a disservice or picking on him.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Without wanting to speak for anyone, I think Danderhall's gripe is that everything is extreme with some people, so nothing Craig does is worth praise but everything Allan does is above criticism.

IMHO Allan is the best player in the league on his day, but he's not been on his day every match, I don't think that's doing the guy a disservice or picking on him.

This is my point.

I'm just glad to have someone as articulate as you to speak for me. :greengrin

Cabbage7062
08-02-2015, 10:53 AM
The guy is an absolute joy to watch play football. I'd be frustrated if I was him - playing defence splitting passes and forwards sometimes not being on the same wavelength. Yesterday he put in a great shift again. I didn't notice him not tracking back after he lost the ball, but to be honest I don't really care as I'm starting to feel postive about going to Easter road for the first time in years, and he is a large part of that. Instead of scrutinising every last detail of his performance, why can't we just enjoy him while we have him? Not moan at the best footballing brain we have had in a long time.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2015, 10:54 AM
The guy is an absolute joy to watch play football. I'd be frustrated if I was him - playing defence splitting passes and forwards sometimes not being on the same wavelength. Yesterday he put in a great shift again. I didn't notice him not tracking back after he lost the ball, but to be honest I don't really care as I'm starting to feel postive about going to Easter road for the first time in years, and he is a large part of that. Instead of scrutinising every last detail of his performance, why can't we just enjoy him while we have him? Not moan at the best footballing brain we have had in a long time.

Don't worry lots of folk don't buy into continuous improvement.

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif..... Scott Allan in three paragraphs .

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Best footballer I've seen in a Hibs shirt since Latapy. However, the critics don't need to worry, his stay with us will be brief.

Onion
08-02-2015, 12:12 PM
They both played a ball cross field yesterday - Allan got close to a standing ovation.

If so, then it's probably as much about the fans showing extra appreciation for the players we want to stay at Hibs. This happens at every club.

Fact is, no one is beating our door down to sign Craig, which tells us something. We've already had to fight off DUFC, and I expect there will be plenty of other clubs looking to steal Allan away come the summer. There's a reason for that, and only natural that his current club's fans show appreciation when we get the chance.

Nomeancity
08-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Best footballer I've seen in a Hibs shirt since Latapy. However, the critics don't need to worry, his stay with us will be brief.

I think he's better than latapy, probably the best player we have had in the last 20 years. If I had to choose between him staying or us swapping him for leigh I would want him to stay. BUT, I do get where the op is coming from, he can look a bit disinterested at times.

MB62
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Just read page 1 so maybe this has been said. I find it strange people are dismissing the opening posters comments as I can see exactly what he means. There were 3 or 4 occasions today when he just gave up after something didn't come off, typified when him and Cummings just turned away from play in the second half and the ball went straight to them. Btw I think Cummings can be a lazy sod at times aswell, I recon Frank did double the running Jason did today.

Sorry SMAXXA but I totally disagree with that opinion. J.C. might not be getting the goals at the moment but lack of effort is not an accusation I could make against him. The laddie just never stops trying and looked knackered late on the game, although it didn't stop him having a fantastic curling effort on goal in the few minutes which the goalie did brilliantly to save.

As for S.A. a fantastic footballer who is a joy to watch. However I do see where the OP is coming from regarding yesterday as I thought he gave up on things a bit too easily when he did lose the ball. It happened a few times and I actually wondered if Stubbs had instructed him not to get involved in retrieving the ball as we don't want him injured, leave the ball winning to others and let SA get on with playing the football, if that is the case, I'm not unhappy with that approach.

ronaldo7
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM

Every player can improve their game, and when another club comes in to buy him, I for one will be disappointed.

Sometimes players only need to move clubs or play with better players to improve. Just look at Ryan Gauld's improvement since joining Sporting. Different techniques, and training methods make better players.

Long may he strut his stuff at the Holy Ground where some of us can enjoy his skills.

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying he's a bad player. Far from it. But today especially when he lost the ball he would just give up instead of trying to win it back. If that had been Craig there would have been a riot.

When was the last riot you witnessed at a Hibs game? :wink:

Hedlund12
08-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Spot on response.

Monts
08-02-2015, 01:18 PM
When was the last riot you witnessed at a Hibs game? :wink:

Bolton away :wink:

My_Wife_Camille
08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

Saying that Craig is second only to Allan in the assists table like its a good thing is a bit like Rangers fans bragging that they are second only to Hearts in the league. Does Craig not only have about 5 to Allan's 15?

The Sundance Kid
08-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Saying that Craig is second only to Allan in the assists table like its a good thing is a bit like Rangers fans bragging that they are second only to Hearts in the league. Does Craig not only have about 5 to Allan's 15?

He has 6 to Allan's 10

My_Wife_Camille
08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
He has 6 to Allan's 10
Where are these stats from mate. Would be interested to take a look

ancient hibee
08-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Allan made our first goal despite the final pass being Gray's.If it goes down as Gray's assist it shows that these stats are meaningless.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-02-2015, 01:54 PM

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I'm gonny start a thread about Liam Craig just tae take the heat off Bernz...

My_Wife_Camille
08-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Allan made our first goal despite the final pass being Gray's.If it goes down as Gray's assist it shows that these stats are meaningless.
True and I think that's where my mistake has been. I was counting corner kicks taken by Allan that took another touch off someone else before going in.

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:03 PM

What??? So in your judgement Oxley would assist more than any other player :confused:

ancient hibee
08-02-2015, 02:06 PM
What??? So in your judgement Oxley would assist more than any other player :confused:

Don't understand your completely ludicrous post.

The Sundance Kid
08-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Where are these stats from mate. Would be interested to take a look

I've just been keeping track myself as there doesn't seem to be anywhere to find these stats online unfortunately

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Don't understand your completely ludicrous post.

Replying to your ludicrous post...Gray assist he played the final ball no?

ancient hibee
08-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Where does Oxley come into it.If you don't realise that Allan set up the goal I have to say you know very little about football -in my opinion of course.

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Where does Oxley come into it.If you don't realise that Allan set up the goal I have to say you know very little about football -in my opinion of course.

Haha brilliant, you said stats were meaningless, Allan pass made the goal not Grays assist..right? If you are using that analogy Oxley has a hand in most goals at some point?

Spike Mandela
08-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Thought Scott Allen deserved the MOTM award yesterday.

Always probing passing and intelligent play. One pass I noticed he was looking out to the right wing but played a beautiful disguised inch perfect pass to the player over on the left wing. Little things like that worth the admission money alone.

ancient hibee
08-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Haha brilliant, you said stats were meaningless, Allan pass made the goal not Grays assist..right? If you are using that analogy Oxley has a hand in most goals at some point?

Have you had a very good lunch by any chance?

Let me give an example.Player makes a run from his own half,beating a few players,and lays a sitter on the plate for someone who miskicks but it is put in by someone else.I understand that the miskick goes down as the assist-that's ludicrous.

Spike Mandela
08-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Let me give an example.Player makes a run from his own half,beating a few players,and lays a sitter on the plate for someone who miskicks but it is put in by someone else.I understand that the miskick goes down as the assist-that's ludicrous.

We need an assist assist award.:greengrin

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:19 PM

LOL :top marksLets beg to differ and give the assist to Craig, it was his superb cross field pass to Allan first :)

J-C
08-02-2015, 02:36 PM
LOL :top marksLets beg to differ and give the assist to Craig, it was his superb cross field pass to Allan first :)

You cannot give the assist to Craig when the final was by Gray, it's he who gets the assist. :confused: Or we can just re write the stats for you and Craigs benefit.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2015, 02:41 PM
My first game since Alloha back in August. I thought Allan looked tidy and was sometimes a step ahead of his colleagues with his reading of the game. However, he did show a bit of poor attitude at times and there a few occasions when he didnae bother his erse.

My reading of it is that he is pretty much unproven at any decent level (did he not play only a dozen games for Utd?). He's doing well at Championship level , but that is clearly a lesser standard. If Allan has the ambition to play at a higher level than the SPL then he'll need to graft. He's not Messi and he's not even Latapy ( the comparison has to be a joke). I really hope he continues to develop at Hibs and there's no doubt that he has potential, but that's all it is just now.

As for the bleating about closing the thread, WTF. This isn't Pravda here is it.

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:42 PM
You cannot give the assist to Craig when the final was by Gray, it's he who gets the assist. :confused: Or we can just re write the stats for you and Craigs benefit.

Deary me read previous posts before commenting :wink:

J-C
08-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Soz, it all got very confusing as to who was taking the piss out of who, my bad :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Some of the comments on here would make you weep. I think everyone agrees Scott Allan is a fantastic footballer but if he also had the pace of Ivan Sproule the goals of Griffiths and the aggression of Scott Brown he would not be anywhere near Easter Road. Some people should come into the real world. We are currently a Championship side , still recovering from last seasons debacle and not even certain of promotion.

gaz1875
08-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Soz, it all got very confusing as to who was taking the piss out of who, my bad :greengrin
it all got very confusing as to who was taking the piss out of who

I know seems that way, FWIW I agreed with you lol and was sarcastically making a point...poorly haha

superfurryhibby
08-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Some of the comments on here would make you weep. I think everyone agrees Scott Allan is a fantastic footballer but if he also had the pace of Ivan Sproule the goals of Griffiths and the aggression of Scott Brown he would not be anywhere near Easter Road. Some people should come into the real world. We are currently a Championship side , still recovering from last seasons debacle and not even certain of promotion.

Can we not just settle for him having the attitude of someone who wants to give everything for the team?

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Can we not just settle for him having the attitude of someone who wants to give everything for the team?

How do you know he isn't doing that? I can think of loads of former players who put in plenty effort but were absolutely rank.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2015, 03:17 PM
How do you know he isn't doing that? I can think of loads of former players who put in plenty effort but were absolutely rank.

That's a fact.

He can moan if he feels that it helps the team, but he can't really be seen not to put the effort in when required. Maybe chase the ball and then have a greet? It was only a few times but it did stand out. I suspect that it wouldn't be accepted if you we're say an aspiring premiership player? Nor should it be at Hibs. Allan looks a great prospect and he's young and pretty inexperienced but he might better serve his career ambitions by just getting on with it . The best players are relentless.

Speedy
08-02-2015, 04:31 PM

The second bit isn't really relevant.

He has a lot of ability but does occasionally have a wee huff or appear to give up. It's an easy thing for a player to fix so he should do so.

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2015, 05:02 PM
The second bit isn't really relevant.

He has a lot of ability but does occasionally have a wee huff or appear to give up. It's an easy thing for a player to fix so he should do so.

Ok. So he gets frustrated when some of his lead up play is wasted, who doesn't. As I've said already, if he had all the attributes that some posters wish he had he would be playing at a far higher level than here. I am sure he will eventually more on to that level sooner than later so best enjoy his talents while we can.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Ok. So he gets frustrated when some of his lead up play is wasted, who doesn't. As I've said already, if he had all the attributes that some posters wish he had he would be playing at a far higher level than here. I am sure he will eventually more on to that level sooner than later so best enjoy his talents while we can.

Maybe if he applied himself 100% and did the moaning after chasing or fighting for the ball he would never have been here at all?

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Maybe if he applied himself 100% and did the moaning after chasing or fighting for the ball he would never have been here at all?

Yes, and we could have signed another " grafter" instead.

ancient hibee
08-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Obviously an eavesdropper:greengrin

Allant1981
08-02-2015, 05:46 PM
I think he's better than latapy, probably the best player we have had in the last 20 years. If I had to choose between him staying or us swapping him for leigh I would want him to stay. BUT, I do get where the op is coming from, he can look a bit disinterested at times.

You seriously think he is a better player than latapy? And as much as he is a good player he is no where near the best in the last 20 years

scoopyboy
08-02-2015, 06:30 PM
You seriously think he is a better player than latapy? And as much as he is a good player he is no where near the best in the last 20 years

He may still turn out to be though.

Allant1981
08-02-2015, 08:07 PM
He may still turn out to be though.

Quite possibly but not yet imo and certainly not the best player in the last 20 years

Sir David Gray
08-02-2015, 08:14 PM
My first game since Alloha back in August. I thought Allan looked tidy and was sometimes a step ahead of his colleagues with his reading of the game. However, he did show a bit of poor attitude at times and there a few occasions when he didnae bother his erse.

My reading of it is that he is pretty much unproven at any decent level (did he not play only a dozen games for Utd?). He's doing well at Championship level , but that is clearly a lesser standard. If Allan has the ambition to play at a higher level than the SPL then he'll need to graft. He's not Messi and he's not even Latapy ( the comparison has to be a joke). I really hope he continues to develop at Hibs and there's no doubt that he has potential, but that's all it is just now.

As for the bleating about closing the thread, WTF. This isn't Pravda here is it.

Can't believe I missed a trip to Hawaii with Hibs.

superfurryhibby
08-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Yes, and we could have signed another " grafter" instead.

No one's saying that so:na

southern hibby
09-02-2015, 06:36 AM
Don't agree with Benz about Scott, but what I do respect is his opinion and being brave enough to post it on here.

Knocking the lad for his thoughts isn't going to get any debate, difference of opinions started. All it will do is get folk to post what they want to hear because folk will be scared to go against the majority

GGTTH

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-02-2015, 06:57 AM

Maybe the comparison is just about his style of play.

They are very similiar. Russell got the ball and ran at players with skill to burn. Scott is identical just without the goals. Theyre stature in the game and ability to do it when it counts is not up for comparison.

Alex Trager
09-02-2015, 07:39 AM
I agree with the OP

He has played poorly last few games I've thought.

He is frustrating at time when he does not take a shot, or maybe make a simple pass instead of the Xavi dinked ball.

That's not to say when he plays well he's crap. I don't think he is rubbish at all. Far from it.

He has played poorly of late however, imo, and the mom call on Saturday I thought was mind blowing.

In saying all this, the team
Haven't played well recently, maybe that's got something to do with his lack lustre performances, or his below normal performances mean the team plays poorer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Maybe the comparison is just about his style of play.

They are very similiar. Russell got the ball and ran at players with skill to burn. Scott is identical just without the goals. Theyre stature in the game and ability to do it when it counts is not up for comparison.

Without the goals is rather a big proviso and that means they are far from identical. On Saturday Allan's best work was found in his passing, his running with the ball didn't really come off too often.

Big L
09-02-2015, 04:05 PM

I couldn't agree more! I was disappointed with his attitude on Sat His problem is that he has set high standards for himself but let himself down a bit IMO

ancient hibee
09-02-2015, 04:48 PM
I agree with the OP

He is frustrating at time when he does not take a shot, or maybe make a simple pass instead of the Xavi dinked ball.

That's not to say when he plays well he's crap. I don't think he is rubbish at all. Far from it.

He has played poorly of late however, imo, and the mom call on Saturday I thought was mind blowing.

Haven't played well recently, maybe that's got something to do with his lack lustre performances, or his below normal performances mean the team plays poorer?

So hitting the post from 20 yards with the keeper beaten and setting up the first goal while constantly keeping the ball moving around the midfield and being the constant out ball for everyone else in the team is lack lustre?

Andy74
09-02-2015, 04:51 PM
So hitting the post from 20 yards with the keeper beaten and setting up the first goal while constantly keeping the ball moving around the midfield and being the constant out ball for everyone else in the team is lack lustre?

Aye here we go - the problem is we get used to a player being decent and then we expect way more.

Boozy used to get it and we've spent 10 years looking for anyone close.

Allan is a class act and probably better than we can keep hold of for too long so lets enjoy him playing while we can.

Smartie
09-02-2015, 04:55 PM
I think it is credit to Allan that we're looking for more from him.

He needs to add slightly better decision-making (the occasional easy ball) to his game, as long as a bit more urgency to win it back when he's lost it. If he could add these things to his game then he could be a truly magnificent player (to be fair he already is but it would make him even better).

I think we'd be doing him a disservice if we settled for him dominating a dozen games in the Championship. It's up to him if he wants to add that bit more to his game to take him up a level.

I don't think the constructive criticism being levelled at Allan here bears any comparison with the pointless abuse hurled at the likes of Liam Craig. Just because we want more doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the massive contribution he has already made to us.

Alex Trager
09-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Aye here we go - the problem is we get used to a player being decent and then we expect way more.

Boozy used to get it and we've spent 10 years looking for anyone close.

Allan is a class act and probably better than we can keep hold of for too long so lets enjoy him playing while we can.

Haha. I, like the OP stressed that I don't think that he is a poor player. I think he is a good player.

He did take ONE shot at the weekend which is out of the norm, imo, he never seems to take shots when he has the chance. I would apply to that to all of our midfield to be honest

I think his distribution on Saturday was poor.

Continually over hitting it, which no one can say is the other players faults.

It's all my opinion of course.

Alex Trager
09-02-2015, 04:59 PM

He needs to add slightly better decision-making (the occasional easy ball) to his game, as long as a bit more urgency to win it back when he's lost it. If he could add these things to his game then he could be a truly magnificent player (to be fair he already is but it would make him even better).

I think we'd be doing him a disservice if we settled for him dominating a dozen games in the Championship. It's up to him if he wants to add that bit more to his game to take him up a level.

I don't think the constructive criticism being levelled at Allan here bears any comparison with the pointless abuse hurled at the likes of Liam Craig. Just because we want more doesn't mean we can't acknowledge the massive contribution he has already made to us.

This.

In absolute abundance.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Well put Smartie, I think that's a pretty fair analysis.

Borderhibbie76
09-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Think we need to remember if Scotty Allan didn't have a few rough edges that need polishing he would NOT be playing for Hibs in the Championship. ..some.people need to get real honestly. The guy is head and shoulders above 99% of the players not just in this league but a fair few in SPL too (or whatever its called these days)

Hermit Crab
09-02-2015, 09:50 PM
He will shine on friday night vs those cants.

Brightside
09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I agree with the OP

You think the team hasn't played well recently? Honest? Light years away from what we had last season and the start of this.

Alex Trager
09-02-2015, 09:57 PM
You think the team hasn't played well recently? Honest? Light years away from what we had last season and the start of this.

In comparison to the way they've played against teams from around December to January.
Yes. Very poor of late.
Shan against Falkirk.
Shan against raith.
Pretty poor against Arbroath I felt.

I agree light years ahead of what I've seen from Hibs teams before this one.

Obviously I was meaning in comparison to
Their own performances though

Alex Trager
09-02-2015, 10:00 PM
He will shine on friday night vs those cants.

This. I think will happen

majorhibs
09-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Good post - only thing I'd disagree with is at 23 he's not very young. He inexperienced in first team football but he's not young.

Seriously cannot believe your stuff - Liam because you must be him & jealous - but just get ontae brokeback if you want to continue to slate a player who is the nearest were going to have. To Latapy in years past & hopefully future, I know I can come out with nonsense from time to time, but you, mate- trying to bring down Scotty Allen While you absolutely champion Liam Craig - well - are you mebbes the same guy that was telling us & Mowbray that we needed a circus clown in goals like malkowski? Makes me wonder? Whats yer agenda? Scott Allen is exactly what our club, no dundee utd or others, need!

hibbysam
09-02-2015, 10:35 PM
In comparison to the way they've played against teams from around December to January.
Yes. Very poor of late.
Shan against Falkirk.
Shan against raith.

now people can have opinions on Scott Allan but this post is proper bull...

shan against raith? We battered them for 90 minutes but couldn't score, it's as good as we've played all year until our finishing... Even Falkirk we should have been 4-1 up and out of sight until Boyle missed an open goal... After that our defending fell to bits, we stuck 5 last Cowden while playing very well, and it was as professional a performance you'll see on Saturday... They hit us with everything they had for 20 minutes and we could have scored 6 on another day!

Danderhall Hibs
10-02-2015, 04:12 AM
Seriously cannot believe your stuff - Liam because you must be him & jealous - but just get ontae brokeback if you want to continue to slate a player who is the nearest were going to have. To Latapy in years past & hopefully future, I know I can come out with nonsense from time to time, but you, mate- trying to bring down Scotty Allen While you absolutely champion Liam Craig - well - are you mebbes the same guy that was telling us & Mowbray that we needed a circus clown in goals like malkowski? Makes me wonder? Whats yer agenda? Scott Allen is exactly what our club, no dundee utd or others, need!

I'm sorry you can't understand my point.

3pm
10-02-2015, 06:32 AM

His performance against The Rangers has made a rod for his own back IMO.

He hadn't played as well as that before that game and hasn't since but I think that's what folk now expect. He was fine on Saturday. Light years ahead of anyone in our team when it comes to ability.

Alex Trager
10-02-2015, 06:42 AM

shan against raith? We battered them for 90 minutes but couldn't score, it's as good as we've played all year until our finishing... Even Falkirk we should have been 4-1 up and out of sight until Boyle missed an open goal... After that our defending fell to bits, we stuck 5 last Cowden while playing very well, and it was as professional a performance you'll see on Saturday... They hit us with everything they had for 20 minutes and we could have scored 6 on another day!

Yet they capitulated in the ninetieth minute to concede yet again an equalising goal at home to them.
Let's compare it to the performance away from home at raith.
One nil down. Went on to beat them three one. FAR better.

Falkirk. If you think that was a good performance then fair enough. I don't. I don't think squandering a three one lead is a good performance.

Arbroath. I thought we never played well at all. But I am delighted we are in the next round.

Cowden. I never included as they played well against them imo.

I find it astounding you think dropping four points at home against Falkirk and Raith are examples of a good performance when we are going for second position.
We had the chance to go above Rangers with the raith game and blew it. That is not good enough.

I don't care how poor we were last season. What's the point in looking backward when we want to go up? That is looking forward. We must beat these teams week in week out. ESPECIALLY when we are leading at home.

Alex Trager
10-02-2015, 06:43 AM

FAR too many could haves in this.
I agree with them all.
But Id say. We should have. Especially given our current predicament and aims

hibbysam
10-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Yet they capitulated in the ninetieth minute to concede yet again an equalising goal at home to them.
Let's compare it to the performance away from home at raith.
One nil down. Went on to beat them three one. FAR better.

Falkirk. If you think that was a good performance then fair enough. I don't. I don't think squandering a three one lead is a good performance.

Arbroath. I thought we never played well at all. But I am delighted we are in the next round.

Cowden. I never included as they played well against them imo.

I find it astounding you think dropping four points at home against Falkirk and Raith are examples of a good performance when we are going for second position.
We had the chance to go above Rangers with the raith game and blew it. That is not good enough.

I don't care how poor we were last season. What's the point in looking backward when we want to go up? That is looking forward. We must beat these teams week in week out. ESPECIALLY when we are leading at home.

theres a massive difference between a 'Shan' performance and a poor result... Raith was a very good performance and as good as we've played this year, poor finishing cost us dear in the end but that doesn't mean we were 'Shan'...

how many clear cut chances did Arbroath have against us? How many could we have scored without there keeper playing a blinder? Again we created numerous chances without ever really being troubled at the back, to me that's a good performance!

Falkirk again is differentiating between performance and result... But for 60 minutes we were very good!

mjhibby
10-02-2015, 07:49 AM
While I get it that he does seem to always have the killer pass in mind I find it disappointing that some fans can't see just what a class player he is. His ability to hit that ten yard pass to feet instantly is overlooked and is what set up the second goal. He is without doubt the best midfielder in terms of ability since latapy and to me is superior to boozy. He just needs to see the correct pass on all ocassions then again he isn't messi but in scottish terms I don't see a better midfielder. Plays the game the way I try to teach my boys team to play and constantly tell them to watch him to become better players. Hope he stays for a few years. Also he seems to up his game in the bigger games so expect another fine game on Friday.

Alex Trager
10-02-2015, 08:51 AM
theres a massive difference between a 'Shan' performance and a poor result... Raith was a very good performance and as good as we've played this year, poor finishing cost us dear in the end but that doesn't mean we were 'Shan'...

how many clear cut chances did Arbroath have against us? How many could we have scored without there keeper playing a blinder? Again we created numerous chances without ever really being troubled at the back, to me that's a good performance!

Falkirk again is differentiating between performance and result... But for 60 minutes we were very good!

We could go on for days here. When it's all about opinion.

I would argue. The way we played against rangers is the best we've played all season.

JimBHibees
10-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Yes. Very poor of late.
Shan against Falkirk.
Shan against raith.

Raith was one of our better games and really should have scored about 4. Poor goal to lose but performance was good. Falkirk some fantastic stuff but poor goals lost. Arbroath was always going to be a tricky game, this was their biggest game and were well up for it however we played ok and again on chances probably should have won about 5-1. There is a big difference between performance and result.

Alex Trager
10-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Raith was one of our better games and really should have scored about 4. Poor goal to lose but performance was good. Falkirk some fantastic stuff but poor goals lost. Arbroath was always going to be a tricky game, this was their biggest game and were well up for it however we played ok and again on chances probably should have won about 5-1. There is a big difference between performance and result.

I feel as though the difference between should have and did are huge.

The fact that we did not score the goals or keep the goals out that we should have, have a huge bearing on how I feel we performed.

It's one thing having twenty five shots and scoring once.

It's another having twenty five shots and scoring say five.

I personally feel as though the fact we never beat either team having been in such good positions constitutes poor performances.

JimBHibees
10-02-2015, 09:04 AM
While I get it that he does seem to always have the killer pass in mind I find it disappointing that some fans can't see just what a class player he is. His ability to hit that ten yard pass to feet instantly is overlooked and is what set up the second goal. He is without doubt the best midfielder in terms of ability since latapy and to me is superior to boozy. He just needs to see the correct pass on all ocassions then again he isn't messi but in scottish terms I don't see a better midfielder. Plays the game the way I try to teach my boys team to play and constantly tell them to watch him to become better players. Hope he stays for a few years. Also he seems to up his game in the bigger games so expect another fine game on Friday.

Totally agree he is a joy to watch, I do get frustrated with some of the fans girning when he doesnt play the simple ball out wide for example as he is scanning all the time looking for a killer pass. Some of his play is brilliant such as the weight of pass to Gray for Hibs first goal. I dont really get the impatience with him to be honest, he is the one trying to play the most difficult passes and create goals and naturally they arent all going to come off however he will be the difference between winning and losing in games.

JimBHibees
10-02-2015, 09:08 AM
I feel as though the difference between should have and did are huge.

The fact that we did not score the goals or keep the goals out that we should have, have a huge bearing on how I feel we performed.

It's one thing having twenty five shots and scoring once.

It's another having twenty five shots and scoring say five.

I personally feel as though the fact we never beat either team having been in such good positions constitutes poor performances.

To me a poor performance is when we are creating no chances, not when we are creating loads and not taking them. Sometimes you need to look beyond the scoreline IMO. Difference between a poor overall performance and poor finishing.

Alex Trager
10-02-2015, 09:11 AM
To me a poor performance is when we are creating no chances, not when we are creating loads and not taking them. Sometimes you need to look beyond the scoreline IMO. Difference between a poor overall performance and poor finishing.

I appreciate that.

But i am comparing it to this season, where on the whole we have created and taken Chances.

If I were to compare it to last season Id say they were far better as it was dire stuff.

Performance for me entails every aspect of the game from finishing to goalkeeping.

Regardless. I think we will beat that mob on Friday

JimBHibees
10-02-2015, 09:14 AM
I appreciate that.

But i am comparing it to this season, where on the whole we have created and taken Chances.

If I were to compare it to last season Id say they were far better as it was dire stuff.

Performance for me entails every aspect of the game from finishing to goalkeeping.

Regardless. I think we will beat that mob on Friday

Agree would be disappointed if we didnt. :greengrin